Reviews of Holiday Inn Sofia 5 stars

111, Alexandar Malinov Blvd., 1766 Sofia, Bulgaria

#73 of 179 hotels in Sofia

Higher end Holiday Inn
    • Executive room - free parking

only minus was that my room smelt a bit - I think of smoke even though it was a non smoking room.

Bar staff fantastic and the burger was one of the best I have ever had and I have a lot! I had an exec room with lots of space and especially liked the extra big towel which reached my toes!

Very good but very disappointed the spa wasn't working
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Disappointed the spa wasn't working one of the reasons I booked this hotel didn't inform us till we arrived

The staff are very friendly and helpful

As always majority of things are ok but this time I was...
    • Twin room - free parking

There was no information that swimming pool, gym are not available during whole July due to the technical renovation. If I will now it I will choose diferent hotel becouse being activ after the work is very importent for me. From time to time Wi-Fi conection was not enough efficent

As always majority of things are ok but this time I was disappointed to to...

Everything was fine, modern hotel, good breakfast, nice...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Everything was fine, modern hotel, good breakfast, nice staff, lovely pool. Even though in business area, the surroundings were nicely set up with a lot of green and a big pond (with turtles) and some convenient restaurants. Very close to subway so in centre of Sofia very quickly. Conveniently situated at the Sofia ringroad (that is why we chose it because we had to drive out east of Sofia a few times) and free parking!

Friendly staff, comfortable hotel, great location in Sofia
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

This hotel was perfectly situated for my needs in Sophia. I was greeted very warmly by the staff when I arrived. I found my room to be very clean, modern, and comfortable. I had no trouble getting to sleep at night. I was very pleased with the room service meals I ordered. I highly recommend this hotel!

Very good breakfast, location outside of town area, good for...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Reception not able to send a parcel with samples to France against credit card charge. They informed me 8 hours after the check in that they could not organize it despite the contact to two couriers. Fortunately I was back to Sofia, picked up the parcel and send it myself after again losing 1 h drive to the courier desk. Very poor reception service for a business hotel.

Very good breakfast, location outside of town area, good for travelers with cars

high price for its value
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

poor aircondition small minibar high price to its real value limited view

helpfull stuff , trying very much to help location out side sofia center easy to go in and out good breakfest , wifi ok

Guy Who made omelletes at breakfast room, staff at...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

reception staff, they should smile more

Guy Who made omelletes at breakfast room, staff at breakfast/restaurant, shower, close to metro station, close to shopping area

Great hotel, excellent staff, unpleasant locals
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Hotel is great, new, quiet, clean, professional staff, spa with full equipped gym, hairdresser, massage, jacuzzi, steam bath, sauna, swimming pool. Unfortunately everything outside of the hotel was horrible- people were trying to steal us, taxi charged us 5x, bars double for drinks, tips written on the bill. They act like never seen money.

Extra comfortable bed!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The accommodation is not for five stars

Extra comfortable bed!great space in the room!the bed very comfortable!great breakfast!you should definitely try to drink Freddo espresso and freddo cappuccino made by the hands of Boris!he is an excellent barista at bar Chi!the whole stuff is great and extremely helpful!the hotel is near to paradise mall and fantastic supermarket!very good massage!definately recommended to everyone!

Such a friendly place to stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Breakfast had a very good selection but as in all Bulgarian hotels they seem to keep the warmers on low so the food is just lukewarm and water for tea is the same , this hasn’t stopped me scoring top marks as it seems to be a Bulgarian trait .

The staff were so friendly nothing was to much trouble pleasure to stay there

Room was comfortable and clean, good room service, good...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The changing rooms in the fitness area needs to be clean more frequently, the clear rules for the users of saunas needs to be provide. Guest are using suna in full swimsuite and then they are using jacuzzi or pool. It isn't hygenic

Room was comfortable and clean, good room service, good connection of the hotel with city center and airport by metro

Except the food, were everything really good and comfortable.

Only the food.

The room and the spa were really perfect, the hotel is perfect but the food at the bar was too expencive and also not good and not tasty.

• Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

With its contemporary design, excellent spa and wellness facilities, convenient location for business and leisure travelers alike, the Holiday Inn Sofia fails to disappoint any traveler. The service you get starts from the excellent looking front desk and continues all the way towards the room. Free amenities and extras, such as Dental & Sewing kits are provided on demand, 24/7, a rarity these days in Bulgaria. Another huge bonus of the hotel is its extensive breakfast buffet, perfect for starting the day, which has, in recent times, become a rarity for Bulgaria. Overall, while there could be some minor upgrades, such as the providing of free water bottles, as has become common throughout most of the world, I give this hotel a steady 5 stars and hope to visit again soon!

Very arrogant staff in Holiday Inn can make you saty there unpleasant..
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Generally I think the staff are not very interesting in to make you satisfied in your stay in Holiday Inn...Very arrogant few of them higher rank staff.

Room was nice and clean..Enough space for one person...

Very nice hotel to stay in Sofia
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Good spa area (a little crowded at sauna, crowded and small jacuzzi), but nice staff at spa reception. I would appreciate bathrobes (they only have slippers). Not warm enough for me in the room (but warm enough to be confortable - the receptionist have done the best to improve the temperature for me).

Excellent breakfast, very clean in the bathroom and room, direct view at Vitosha mountain, very nice staff, underground parking. Next time in Sofia I would like to stay there again.

Good but not good value for money.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The stay was very pleasant, however upon arrival we were told that breakfast is served until 11AM. It turned out that that only applied for the New Years day and not for regular days. After missing the breakfast as we turned up at 10:30 and explaining what we were told we still had to pay for breakfast and coffee!

Good facilities, comfortable bed

3 star hotel maximum
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Stuff is not very pleasant ,hotel is old but it is clean. When I asked forca toothbrush they told me to come at the reception.mGeneral opinion is not bad but also not as I expected. I travel a lot and I will give them maximum 3 star.

Room, soecious and clean

The hotel is nice and clean with friendly stuff.

I didn't like the size of the family room and also the fact that the sofa bed was no enough for 2 kids, it was too small.

The hotel is nice and clean with friendly stuff. Nice snf big bedroom .

Good value for money, though wrong location on GPS, so hard to find
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The stuff at the reception was very rude and didn't want to give us at first the room that we booked trying to give us the room of another category. Finally, the room was found though the evening receptionist was telling us before that there were no room fitting our booking reference. It was very strange that he created such inconvenience since he saw that I am traveling with my pregnant wife.

Very good rooms, very good breakfast in compression with other hotels in Bulgaria

Good hotel, but pretty far away from 5 stars level
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The staff was basically very kind, except one lady at the reception. We found the room very cold and the heating was not working properly. I saw that after more than one hour almost nothing changed with the temperatur after I informed the reception and this lady tried to explain me that the technicians informed her the temperature is higher than the normal level in the hotel! I was. a little bit embarrased, I asked her to come woth me and to check by her own, if she doesn‘t believe me, but finally she organized one electrical radiator and it was fine. The towels in the SPA area are under every level. I didn‘t find such towels in my life until now! Normally, such broken and used towels (I guess the are washed with chlorine) are used just to wipe the floor or they are thrown away. For a 5-star hotel it is absolutely not acceptable. In the SPA area the floor was overflowed in many places, nobody cared to wipe the water away

The most of the staff people were very kind, friendly and ready to help. Food in the restaurant was delicious Breakfast is reach, variated and tasty - except the yellow melone, it was like a plastic, without any taste, Well equiped, well ventilated fitness area.

A nice hotel with friendly staff, most important they speak...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The hotel is far away from the city center.

A nice hotel with friendly staff, most important they speak good english. Direct parking area outside, very good breakfast!

• Twin room - free parking

They confused my reservation!the bathroom was very dirty!The bathtub was full of hairs!!!They always block much more money than the night's worth!!!No one tells you about it!!!There is a door between the rooms and you hear everything from the other room!!!This hotel is like a three stars!!!

Breakfast is rich, but very expensive and the coffe is poor...
    • Twin room - free parking

Breakfast is rich, but very expensive and the coffe is poor or you have to pay extra for a better one. 200m from hotel you can get coffe and fast breakfast for 3;- Euro, with great coffe!

The staff was just wonderful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The staff was just wonderful. They made me feel at home and they always greated me with the biggest smile. Also the food in the restaurant is really good. I personally really enjoyed the spa and for me the location didn't really matter, since I had a car and could go to the city center at any given time.

Not at all worth the price and the 5 star rating
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Extremely expensive restaurant/facilities The massage was way too short compared to what we were charged for, the woman was texting on the phone with one hand while massaging. The channels on the TV didn't work (the reception kept saying that they are currently being worked on, but after a whole day, no change) 18 euros for breakfast in Bulgaria??

The bathrooms were good, although the shower was a little bit broken. THe beds were comfortable.

Enjoyable stay it was like being at home, the staff were very attentive and could not do more for us

Nothing !!!

The full breakfast had so much to choose from, as was the continental. But both were charged at the same rate even though in the bedroom the prices were different. The business park was clean and a number of good restaurants/ coffee shops, banks and a supermarket. Under £ 1 to get to the centre of Sofia on a very clean and fast tube train. Once in the centre there is so much to see, the streets are like Paris/Barcelona.

Excellent standards in this hotel
    • Executive room - free parking

The restaurant at night is very quiet and the food mediocre, but not bad. The breakfast on the other hand is very good.

Excellent spa/health club - extremely clean. Good massage therapist. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful The area is a business park but it was nice to get away from the city and it's only a short journey by metro.

nice location in the very southern-east part of Sofia,...

would like to have some Chinese food in the restaurant - dim-sums, dumplings etc.

nice location in the very southern-east part of Sofia, Vitosha mountain (cable car) is just about 1 km away, nice pool, gym

Horrendous
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

This is the worst hotel I've been in while visiting Sofia. Everything was ugly, cheap looking, and poorly maintained. The pool was on the lobby level, apparently, and the entirety of public areas within the hotel had a pool smell and were unpleasantly warm and humid. The TV in the room was the size of a postage stamp; in 2017, this is laughable. The air conditioning was super loud. The biggest issue I had was that on the morning before checkout, the cleaning staff tried to enter the room FOUR times, waking me up, starting at around 9 o'clock. A 'Do Not Disturb' sign was not available.

I actually didn't like anything about this hotel. I only chose it because it was near a venue I had plans on visiting.

- Plenty of free parking available, including underground...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

- Free wifi was limited to 2 devices per room and not very fast; high-speed internet can be purchased, but should in my opinion be standard for a 5-star hotel

- Plenty of free parking available, including underground area - Breakfast buffet had wide range of items, with good quality fresh products (e.g. fruits) and freshly made eggs, pancakes, etc. - The swimming pool was nog very large but modern and clean, as were the gym facilities - Very good restaurant, but rather expensive for Bulgaria - Hotel is located outside the city center, but in a nice green area with easy access to the metro (7 min walk) and to Sofia's ring road

Great breakfast and restaurant.
    • Executive room - free parking

Some guest disobeyed the rules in the pool(jumping, shouting, spoiling the sunbeds with water) and the staff did not do anything.

Great breakfast and restaurant. Comfortable big room. Free private parking at the entrance of the building.

VfM with some spotty issues.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Our stay costed around 375 levas but surprisingly the receptionist asked for a 550 levas guarantee via the credit card. This wasn't mentioned in booking.com when I reserved the room. Moreover, the breakfast didn't include espresso (without charge) but only filter coffee and the underground parking wasn't provided. The stuff could be more attentive to our needs.

The mountain Vitosha view was awesome, the sub station was nearby, the breakfast was excellent (a fully personalised omelette was provided), the safety and relax feelings were high and the neighborhood (business park area) was great.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Right next to Busiess Park, love the location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Nothing, the bar area is a bit corporate but overall we love it here

Very peaceful area, great rooms and close to metro and great shopping complex at the SOFIA mall, also close to ski station

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

False advertising of rooms.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The rooms we booked didn't exist. And the staff said it's not their fault. Stood at the reception for over an hour to resolve, in the end had to speak to booking.com who told them it was false advertising, they still insisted we pay extra for a smaller room. Booking.com were supposed to credit my account, haven't heard back from them. Horrible experience, just wanted what we had paid for...

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Excellent hotel
    • King Suite - free parking

nothing to mention

Take a look of my comment for the first stay we made here some days bevore this second stay Swimming pool and whirlpool are excellent as everything else I mentioned

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Excellent starting point to visit Bulgaria
    • King Suite - free parking

nothing to mention. Just be aware of some tourist taxes coming aditionally to the room-price

The rooms we have booked (Junior and Business Suits, as we spend there some nights bevore and after the Bulgaria-round-trip) were perfect, enough place for us 4 (two children). Very kind and gentle stuff! Very clean! The breakfast was excellent, the possibility to have fresh prepared omellettes or crepes -amazing. The location of the hotel is not perfekt if one only wants to visit the city of Sofia, there a hotel in the centre will be better or get the subway to the centre. We wanted to have direkt access to Vitosha mountain, the boyana church and fast connection to Povdiv and the Rila Monastery, so it was perfect for us

booking.com is crap
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

we booked with yourselves and had a price when we arrived they want more money and also held money on my card without me knowing, i dont know if that is your fault or hotel fault but never booking with yourselves again

hotel was ok, but staff are terrible and just chasing after extra money

I had an excellent massage in the Camelot SPA.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

I had an excellent massage in the Camelot SPA. I have a specific back problem and the therapist Asya from Camelot SPA provided an excellent personally adjusted treatment that really helped me.

very rude and unprofessional front desk manager Bojan
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Horrendous experience with the reception staff. Especially the manager Bojan. I Did my reservation with booking.com, they didnt want to honor it in term of pricing ( for whatever internal error), after reaching Booking.com and with their help ( thank you very much Lisa!!), the reception manager didnt have other choice but to respect the contract between Booking.com and Holyday Inn so i had my room BUT what a waist of time standing there for 40 min and getting cynical comments from this Bojan , unbelievable... Instead of being a professional desk manager this guy was throwing rude comments at me the guest.. i wish i recorded this so the owner of this property could see how one of his employee was ruining this property reputation... My guess is that its a Holiday inn under a licence- i cant imagine a real Holiday inn hiring staff like that at the reception.

room

breakfast
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

always 1 person at check in and i had to wait 20 minutes, before my turn comes up to check in. Was cold in the 1st room. Gave me another one.

breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Comfortable hotel with good facilities
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

I was asked to change my room half way through the stay because they wanted to "spray the room with insecticide" !!!!! I find this very unusual in my 20 years of constant travel!

Location and comfort of hotel

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Hotel is decent but location is far and food, drinks are expensive
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The hotel is quite far from the city center. Taxi costs 13 lev. My major problem with the hotel is, because there aren't many easily reachable places nearby, they charge a premium on things like consumables in the fridge and hotel food is also quite expensive (including breakfast). Come on, a bottle of water cannot be 4 euros in Sofia! Same for breakfast, it was either 14 or 18 euros!!!

Well, hotel provides standard Holiday Inn quality. Comfortable and clean room, I liked the bathroom especially.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Great service, but Booking.com almost ruined our stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The indoor pool was very cold and had swim lessons going on while we were there so we felt in the way. Booking.com lists the standard double room as having a large double bed or 2 double beds (listing the measurements as being 131-150cm). That is NOT TRUE. Our family of 5 could easily have been comfortable in two double beds of that size but these were only TWIN beds measuring 110cm! That was clearly Booking.com's fault and was very frustrating during our stay. It hindered quality sleep badly! Also, the options of TV stations on the small TV were not very child friendly for a hotel chain that boasts family friendliness. We will return to this hotel if we come back to Sofia but we will get a family room next time to have the bigger beds.

The breakfast was probably the best breakfast we've ever had. SO many choices, all delicious, and a staff member brought me a high chair before I even had a chance to ask. The room was modern and clean with great storage, a bathtub AND separate shower. The staff was helpful. The location is great because it's right off the Ring road and doesn't require actually entering city traffic. It is also right by a mall with major shopping and several restaurants are within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Clean, silent rooms.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Pool and jacuzii have greenish and cold water. I have to change 8 (eight) cards and every time i go with bath robe through cold 1st floor from spa to reception for spare card unill finally i can enter the spa zone, even when there is employee at spa reception who can open the barrier - it's anoying and as boy at desk says - persisten problem?! Restaurand and breakfast prices is 2-3 times higher than normal for the city.

Clean, silent rooms. Complimentary tea and nescaffe in the room. Comfort bed.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Teh staff was very nice, helpful and always smiling.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

I would expect to get the king size bed larger. The swimming pool and sauna was closed just for the day we were there for some maintenance reasons. TV signal was very poor.

Teh staff was very nice, helpful and always smiling. Breakfast was excellent. There is IMAX cinema just behind the hotel. It is convenient to reach metro.

Excellent hotel
    • Family Room with Sofa bed - free parking

This kind of the hotel needs to have enough bathrobes for each room, it's not too much but the thing which mean more comfort for the guests who are using swimming pool etc.etc...

Everything was just as it should be for the hotel of this level...we've had got all of what we wanted from the start....we simply enjoy on this lovely hotel....

NYE at Holliday Inn
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Small tv and programs pack, shuttle service too expensive and the base wifi should be free also the mini bar in the room cost too much.

Quiet zone and close to airport, the staff was verry friendly and the hotel is clean and comfortable.

The room was clean and comfortable.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

There were no slippers in the room and we need to wait a lot of time the hotel to check the mini bar consumation during the check out although we have reserved with a credit card.

The room was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

What i really didn't like about the Holiday Inn they...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

What i really didn't like about the Holiday Inn they told me to drive my car to the underground parking which my Car couldn't really get in,Its not for 4x4 I damage the side of the car, When i told them they didn't really care, the underground parking is for small car' not 4x4, and they should of told me this at the time. The breakfast is €18 euro per person don't wast your money its not wroth it. Beds were very comfortable too, so this will be there last time i ever go there. Very Disappointed !!!!!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

great hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

spa center is really small. It was packed and the pool was full and was a challenge to swim and use the facilities. They have regular swimming practices at the pool with the locals which is strange and there is 1 part of the pool which is only for practices and guests can't use it

great hotel

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Spa center, location, the staff, parking
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

There was a mess between the hotel & booking and had no information that we travel with our child. The hotel asks quaranty of 250 Euro (cash or by credit card) duting check in!!!!

Spa center, location, the staff, parking

Very good hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

At the breakfast coffee wasn't good! In that kind of of hotel I'm expecting 1st class coffee!

Hotel is great! Comfortable, very good spa, very good staff, breakfasts excellent.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Nice hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Service was slow and wasn't as good as expected at check out Quite far from the center of Sofia if you're planning to visit there often

Nice rooms, though small Great shower and bath Close to the airport

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

For sure not a very good choice
    • Executive room - free parking

Far away from the center.This is for sure not a 5 stars hotel. I booked for a double superior room breakfast included. As finally I was alone I asked to charge me for a single room instead of double. The answer was NO. Breakfast nothing special. They told me that the only coffee I could have without extra charge was filter coffee and not espresso as I had asked for.(a 5 stars hotel!!!)

Almost nothing.

The breakfast is very good and the staff at the restorant.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

this hotel reserves from you credit card 50 euro for the minibar.That has never happened to me before and is offending.Also they give slippers and shower cap on request! :)

The breakfast is very good and the staff at the restorant.Pool also good.

Breakfast too expensive, was not clearly stated that it is...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Breakfast too expensive, was not clearly stated that it is not included in the fee

I think they might be a little understaffed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

I think they might be a little understaffed And the furniture is old!

Location very central

Location very central

Very happy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Airco quite noisy in my room

Top staff, top facilities, very extensive lunch box as early flight breakfast

It’s Holiday Inn

I have no remarks

The breakfast is a must Beds are super-comfortable Wellness was perfect

Almost perfect

Far from center

Almost everything

Breakfast was good.

The rooms had bad smell all our stay

Breakfast was good. Very nice staff

Nice and clean

Nice and clean

Air con is running all the time!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Twin bed is too small for two persons.

It Is clean and new! Modern.

Internet is scandalously slow
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Internet is scandalously slow No proper international tv

The people and the design in Christmas mood

The people and the design in Christmas mood

Nice hotel. Very good Spa and breakfest. Staff very friendly. We will come again at this hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Small double bed, no heating system (by air-ventilated hate it) we request an electrical heater.

Perfect breakfest, excellent staff. Bathroom big

Expected more
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

The internet is really slow, No bathrobe and slippers in the room, looked more like a 4 star hotel than a 5 star, to be honest.

• Family Room with Sofa bed - free parking

Very clean and quite

Great stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

You should ask for sleepers and bathing coat, not in the room when we arrived.

Super price quality ratio. Cheap hotel for 5 star rally.

Good restaurant and breakfast.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Good restaurant and breakfast. Probably a lit bit expensive

Close to the ring road of Sofia and 15min by car the city center. Nice spa center.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

No slippers and bathrobes in the room!!!!!!!

spa center, breakfast

Big room, good breakfast, medium size swimming pool (about...
    • Twin room - free parking

Far from city center, located in a business area. Expensive.

Big room, good breakfast, medium size swimming pool (about 12-15m long) and sauna.

The best value for money
    • Standard Double or Twin Room - free parking

Breakfast is excellent, the room is comforatable and clean. You have all you need. The staff is kind. All recomendation.