Reviews of Maria Luisa Hotel 4 stars

29 Maria Luisa Bul., Centrum, 1301 Sofia, Bulgaria

#111 of 179 hotels in Sofia

There was no natural light in the room and the decor (especially the curtains on the fake window) needs updating.

The location was excellent and the minibar was well stocked. The room was clean.

The breakfast could be better and in buffet style... Having to order certain dishes make the customer a little anxious... They didn't accept AmEx card, although they had an AmEx sticker and in the site it is referred as accepting that type of cards...

Central location, very near the shopping places and the pedestrian Vitosha Blvd... Very good English from the stuff of the reception desk and very helpful... Easy access to/from airport and the main bus and train station...

Having booked many months in advance, we expected better than a small room with one faux window. There was no restaurant. The Vienna Cafe showed no evidence of operation. The hotel staff made us a coffee. Perhaps too early in the tourist season.

Definitely liked the location.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The hotel does not have a parking , this is available on payment few streets away with delicate access to it.

The central location of the Hotel, close to Serdika and the Mosque ,where you can enjoy the beautiful view from the balcony Mosque.The Room was really chic & big ( 25-30 sqm ) with sofa's and a very large and comfortable bed.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

For the price we paid for the room was not worth it at all. First of all, even though the hotel was empty we were given a room without a window. The room itself was VERY small and claustrophobic. It was very old and ugly decorated. The bed was a disaster, the pillows felt like sleeping on a hard rock. It was like staying in a cheap guesthouse at a city hotel rate.

• One-Bedroom Suite

This is an old building and used to be grand. The bathroom smells like sewer is venting into building. There is a tram intersection outside the hotel. So every tram after 4:30am that passes in either direction makes loud metal banging sounds as it crosses over the tracks. Furniture was broken down and sagging. Wi-Fi didn't work for several days.

Very helpful and courteous staff. Big old room with sofa and chairs.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The breakfast was poor (not as the website picture) limited selection, poorly replenished and the cooked was cold,very little choice of fruit or bread and juice was watery. The bathroom had a damp smell which was very off putting, the toilet was badly stained but probably clean and there was an issue with consistent hot water for the shower which the staff were unable to explain or rectify. There was no bath, no trouser press (just a hanger), the A/C was switched off and there was no dressing room as described on Booking.com website The central location was on a tram line which meant it was very noisy or if we closed the windows very hot and muggy, hence the quality of sleep left a lot to be desired, A/C would have helped.

Location was excellent close to Metro and major attractions in walking distance.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

It's the second time I stayed at this hotel and I the window view from the room 205 is not good, as it gives to the internal patio, where you have A/C machines and extraction vents that smell of fried oil, so if you open the window, the room will be a bit smelly. Best room in the hotel 404 (big, roomy and comfortable)!

Location is very good, staff is very friendly and competent, price is good value for money, breakfast is OK without being remarkable, the hotel is a change from your regular chain hotels, and it has it's charme reminiscent of an older time.

Steps up to lift on ground floor. Waitress service breakfast, which slowed things down a bit. Prefer buffet breakfasts. Level of English among staff is variable.

Brilliant central location 5 minutes’ walk from Vitosha Street. Nice large bath towel and bath robe.

Breakfast basic but good. Just ask for anything on the menu (as many things as you wish) and you get it. It includes hot western style breakfast food as well as 'Continental' breakfast food. Staff always very friendly and helpful.

4 star class seems to be little overthrown, would fit more to older 3 star facility - for such class evaluation would be much more considerable

close to Vitosha boulevard

Not 4 star, but this doesn't detract from the hotel. Would still recommend

The location is great. Right in the heart of the city centre and one block from the metro. Staff were all very pleasant and professional. Good breakfast selection, regularly refreshed. Didn't use the cafe or bar, but looked like a good facility. Everything you need in a city break. However I would rate it a star. I would stay here again.

The location is very convenient for the metro line to both the airport and the main train station. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a better room. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The hotel is very dated and in dire need of renovation. The bathroom had a musty smell, the fixtures are worn and, while the room was warm, it's hard to control the temperature. It wasn't a bad room, but I wouldn't describe it as a 4-star.

The location of the hotel is very good; close to the Metro, the city centre and a lot of the attractions of Sofia. The staff was friendly and helpful. The sheets were very nice too and the wifi fast.

You need to get down to breakfast early as when certain things are finished, they are not replenished.

The hotel is centrally located and very close to the metro station Serdika (2 min walk) The room was a good size and I had a balcony. Everything was very clean. The receptionists were extremely helpful and friendly. I wished to go on two tours and they booked them for me. i also wanted a taxi on one occasion and they did that too. Nothing seemed too much. They were probably the best in friendliness and helpfulness of anywhere I have stayed. Not sure what the other comments are about as smoking is not allowed in the hotel and you have to sign a paper that you understand it is a criminal offence to do so. There is a lift that goes up to the 4th floor so not sure which hotel they stayed in. You do have to walk down a flight of stairs to the breakfast room where there is a buffet.

Breakfast not replenished, some days no breakfast buffet ready

The hotel is very close to archaeological site of Serdica, hot mineral source and the art deco market

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The building is such that most of the rooms don't have proper windows. I changed two rooms during my stay (not because the first was bad, but because I had to extend my stay after I had checked-out). The first room had a window that would open out into a service shaft - terrible view and smell of heavy cooking. The second room did not have a window that could be opened. I guess because the window was facing an internal coridor or because it was not a window at all but some kind of a trick (it certainly fooled me :-) ). The only think in the architecture that disapointed me was this strange kind of a Roman/Greek-like "gate" two meters after one gets out of the elevator on the first floor. It was like a pigglet with a bell - looks terrible and also stands in the way. I normally skip breakfast and, therefore, cannot give an oppinion on that, but judging from its prise (9 EUR is outrageous for Bulgaria) it must be an epic experiance. So, I will not take it next time either.

The staff was extremely polite and helpful. The building is old with very high ceilings, but at the same time with a very well measured touch of modern. The beds are confortable. It is practically in the city center, and everything worth seeing is within a walking distance. There is a Subway station less than 200m away and a countless number of bus and tram connections to practically everywhere in the immediate vicinity. If one would care about such Things, the minibar was stashed very well. The selection of TV channels is rich and multilingual.

The noise from the bar area does tend to drift up the stairs. I was woken up a couple of nights in the early hours by a group of people chatting and laughing in there. Not excessive, but still enough to keep me awake!

The decoration in the room was a little old fashioned but to me that added to the charm. The bed was very comfortable and the location was ideal for us.

After reading some of the reviews I contacted the hotel to explain this was our first trip and could we have rooms that would make our stay an experience. Rooms 101 and 301 appear to be the best with front facing patio doors on the street , though the balcony barrier is low so don’t book this with children or on a drinking getaway ;) Rest of the rooms the party were in were functional. Staff were excellent, couldn’t do enough to help us from booking restaurants and taxis. They also picked us up from airport. Cant fault this hotel for its staff, rooms or location. Only thing on a negative note is they ran out of beer one night, probably not their fault ;)

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Very dark inside, no natural light in the hotel, no windows in my room. Woken by loud crashing noise both mornings at 7am.

Not far to walk to city centre & sights

• One-Bedroom Suite

Just a little niggle and just for info for other guests, there are some steep steps up to the Lift not so good if you have mobility problems.

Lovely Big Bed in a One-Bedroom Suite, Location, Staff, Breakfast, out and about 4 x Jazz Clubs very close Anormal, Jazz, Delta Blues Bar, Jazz Bar, Chicago Piano Bar. Amazing Food "on Map" at "Mi Casa" also Wok to Walk also Papa Joe's.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel has to my opinion only good location. Further the hotel needs renovation. Rooms are very unpleasant and all furniture needs good cleaning. Showering was dramatically bad, as the shower its self was broken.

Hotel needed some TLC as it's a lovely old building, modernised, but as all old buildings constant maintanance is needed.

Very friendly staff. Large rooms but we were upgraded to a suite. The standard rooms look fine as well.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The economy room is without windows - beware of that (as I wasn't - I simply booked the "best offer" suggested by booking.com). Otherwise it is OK for single occupancy or for a couple (there are narrow beds sticked together, no possibility to detach them). I paid extra to get upgraded to an appartment as I could not sleep in the room with no windows. Thanx to the guys that were on duty late that night. I asked for upgrade upon arrival, but the lady at the reception told me there are no free rooms (hope she was not lying, as I did not request room change for free).

Excellent location, part of the staff very helpful - at a level of top class hotels. Decently maintained, well equiped with accessories, goodies and toiletries, excellent information and interaction system via hotel TV.

Because it was May, the heat had been turned off, but the nights in May can get quite cool. The staff helped us by bringing an electric heater which helped somewhat. I recommend that next year they keep the central heat available until June.

Hotel Maria Luisa is a charming, almost elegant hotel in the old European tradition. It was a pleasure to be there instead of a plastic American clone. It has the best location possible in Sofia. We were in short walking distance to almost every interesting spot. The mosque, synagogue, Catholic church, and Bulgarian Orthodox church were all within a few blocks, giving us our choice of religion. Also nearby were the history of Sofia Museum with a pleasant park,, impressive Roman ruins, the main Metro stop, a large Bulgarian food market, an American style supermarket, even McDonald's and Burger King (which we avoided, but it was interesting to see them in old Bulgarian housing.), And many other interesting sites. The staff were all friendly and helpful if we needed anything. We loved being there, and felt appreciated by the staff. You would not believe it by this review, but I am often a critical patron. I am writing it now because of how the hotel made our stay in Sofia so lovely and memorable.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Wel,I booked a twin room without breakfast and when my sister and I arrived they had only one tiny double bed and when we complained , a very nice manager gave us what he called an appartement without charge and the next day they said we could stay also without charge.We did not eat breakfast there.when we left I decided to pay in local money It came to 265 lev.It was only after I calculated in cad that I realized that cad160 is actually only 211 lev....so they did charge us 54lev extra.This I did not like and I will contact you upon my return!Colette Dickx

The location was great,we saw all the great buildings and markets within a couple of miles!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The room was the size of a matchbox, the reception staff were dismissive and rude - made no attempt to help with simple tasks. Things were broken in the room and the satellite didn't work. Definitely overpriced for what you get - there are much better options in the same area with same price bracket but so much better service. A local hotel run by locals who have no concept how an internationally-minded customer service oriented hotel should be run. Definitely not a 4 star hotel and way overpriced.

Only good thing was the central location.

ventilation was not enough

the bedroom has a good old fashioned design. the bed was very comfortable. giving dinner order through television was so easy.

• Double Room with Airport Pickup

On our return journey, we booked a transfer back to the airport, expecting this to be the hotel minibus and for it to be charged to our room. In fact, what arrived was a small 3-door car and we were told to pay the driver. This did not feel like an official hotel arrangement.

Great location. Very near major sights. Hotel sent their minibus to collect us from the airport.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Some of the staff (not all of them) were impolite, even rude. The coffee machine in the breakfast room didn´t work properlly, we found cockroachs walking around the breakfast room, we ordered dinner in the room our last night and it took one hour and a half to receive four sandwiched that wasn´t the kind of sandwiches, we had chosen, also one of the slected drinks was missing and finally they tryed to charge us a chocolate from the minibar we never touched.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

Very old fashion hotel, old furnitures and awful smells in the rooms, need to be refurbished and totally renewed. Not very clean rooms and especially sanitaries. Breakfast in a cave room with no windows and food is very limited in choice and quality....

The only real advantage of this hotel is to be centrally located and very close to a metro station and other commodities.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Double Room with Airport Pickup

The building is tired and shabby. Beds small. Breakfast disappointing and served in dingy basement room.

The hotel is convenient for the major Serdika metro station, where both of the main lines intersect. It's a short walk from major sites and the main nightlife concentrated in the streets around Vitosha Blvd.

The hotel was very good overall and only a few small things let it down, although these did not retract from the stay overall. The hairdryer in the room wasn't very good. The room got a quite warm at night and the air conditioning did not seem to work very well, we opened the window but there is a club outside and a busy road which made it quite noisy overnight. (we couldn't hear the club or the road when the window was closed).

The hotel was in an excellent location, within walking distance to a lot of sights, bars, restaurants and the metro station. The staff were very polite. The room was well equipped and very clean. The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Room witout window(s): we asked for a room with window but this was not available. To be honest it was really strange to in a blind room and at the end it was not nice.

Position

I booked a double room which according to the photos would have a four-poster double bed. Unfortunately I was put in a twin room with the beds pushed together. Not a big deal but not quite as comfortable.

The staff were very friendly - the hotel even included a doorman! A nice touch. You can tell the hotel has put a lot of effort into making the lobby look nice. It's very welcoming and has a lovely Bulgarian feel. Breakfast was good but the bread was a little stale.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

No room service, one towel but two supplied without problem, the lift is good but the decorative stairs to the lift was a little steep.

The suite was wonderful - very large with separate lounge and entrance area.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The building itself is a little bit old so the hotel should improve the maintenance.

In general eveythibg was good, well ubicated, staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Budget Double or Twin Room

No breakfast was included in the room rate. The tv was difficult to turn on, I even had to call someone. Some kind of internet tv. No stay after check-out time of noon.

Large bed, comfortable room. Free coffee.

Wifi kept cutting out

Great location in centre of the city. Walking distance to most tourist sights and easy access to public transport. Good breakfast, friendly staff. Overall great.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

The cleaning of the rooms is poor. Not much of an issue when you are staying 1 or 2 nights but when longer you prefer your room to be properly cleaned.

Location is excellent, serdika station is just around the corner, as well as a supermarket and trams stop just in front of the hotel. Also staff is very friendly and you can order breakfast on your room each morning.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Next time I will ask for a room with real window, this one had an "artificial" one only.

A very homely place to stay in Sofia, highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Nothing, it was great. I always leave room for improvement, that's why you don't get a 10! ...well, I'm Italian: coffee is barely acceptable in reality, but one does not visit Bulgaria to drink the perfect cappuccino...drink tea instead and enjoy your stay!

Great staff, nice room warm and silent, the hotel is exactly where I would have loved it to be! Breakfast was good and varied. Absolutely good value for money.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Could provide two bottles of water per day.

Staff was efficient,friendly and helpful. Particularly Yanko,Vladimir, Maria,Alexdriana and two more ladies.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

noisy, the hotel is near a crossroad with traffic light with acoustics sounds and lines of tram that make very disturbing noise. it is located in the center (that is perfect) but in some kind of a gipsy area

staff, breakfast, rooms small but cozy

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Maybe I would have expected an higher quality of the rooms for the price I paid, especially considering the standard prices for Sophia.

The hotel is in the center of the city. It's in walking distance from the most important places in Sophia. The bathroom in our room was not working and we got a free upgrade. The breakfast was excellent with a lot of choices available

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Double Room with Airport Pickup

The only problem I had with my room (205) was the fan in the bathroom had a mind of it's own and would come on whenever it felt like it rather than only when you walked in it really didn't bother me that much but if anyone from the hotel is reading this it would save you a bit on your electric bill if you fixed it .

This is a lovely little hotel nice pleasant helpful staff and it's well positioned to reach all the attractions ,shops ,bars and restaurants in Sofia very easily ,they also own a couple of very nice reasonably priced restaurants of their own and will happily take you there in the hotel minibus should you decide to have a meal in one of them + if you fly into Sofia airport they will pick you up and take you to the hotel in the bus free of charge what a nice touch !! Breakfast is good there's a nice coffee and cake area to sit and relax in during the day and upstairs above the coffee area is a comfortable bar that is manned as far as I could tell all the time , the rooms were comfortable and well equipped and we just loved our stay so we will be returning very soon to see more of Sofia and be chauffeur driven to our evening meal out on the town !!

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Actually nothing important, only the Wifi is kind of unsteady.

Location near Serdica ist great. Staff is really nice and helpful, especially the beautiful ladies at the desk. ;) Rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast is good. This hotel is really worth the money!!!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

I liked everything!

I loved the concept and the location, the room was perfect and I almost felt embarrassed at getting so much for such a little fee, all the popular places are right on the doorstep and if you are having a drink late at night, then the best bars are only a five minute walk away!

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

I stayed 6 days. In some days I got one teabag (just one!) and one coffee dose (just one!) to be used with the coffee machine in the room... in some other days I didn't. Same with the floor towel in the bathroom: in some days I got one... in some other days I didn't.

Good location. Some staff at the reception much nicer than some other staff at the reception ;-). At least a "professional" smile - like the one of the flight attendants - Is expected from everybody at the reception in a 4 star hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Staff were a bit offish and the woman at reception when we arrived said 'no' to every request before actually thinking about it. For example, we said 'do you speak English' to which she said 'no' but then proceeded to ask us (in English) what we wanted. We later learned that despite younger Bulgarian's we met being lovely, friendly and warm, that this is a typical Bulgarian attitude of older Bulgarians. However, you don't expect it in a hotel. Having said that, the young man on reception in the evening was super helpful. Be aware that even though there is a fabulous lift surrounded by sculptural decoration (you will see what I mean when you get there), bizarrely you have to go up five or so steps to enter the lift on the ground floor. They will store your luggage for you after you check out but it is in an open unattended area and not locked. There is supposed to be someone keeping an eye on it, but he was nowhere to be seen when we came back from our luggage and we just took our bags with no challenge from anybody. It's a bit of a walk from the train station (20 mins towing our bags) but manageable. No need for a taxi unless it is cold or raining.

Room was comfortable, warm and a good size, as was bathroom. Location is excellent within short walk of the major sites in Sofia. Could not get a better location. Very good value for the location and the hotel facilities. Nice bar and breakfast area. Despite the couple of negatives we would stay here again and would recommend it based on the facilities and location.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

We were only there for a short while, but the staff went out of their way to welcome us, and offered to provide a take away breakfast before we asked. Rooms well appointed, common areas in very good condition.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

We had spent the night before on an impulse (earlier arrival in Sofia than planned) in a 5-star hotel not that far away and I have to say that this was infinitely preferable. Room was lovely and cosy, well appointed and comfortable. Good bathroom and strong shower. Quiet, even though we were overlooking a main street over the weekend. Breakfast offered a good range of options. Location great, close to the mosque, covered market and metro and a 20 minute walk south from the main railway station. Excellent all round, and very friendly and helpful staff too - definitely one to be recommended.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The room was tiny, and not the one I booked nor what they advertise with totally inadequate clothes hanging facilities, as the bed blocked one of the wardrobe doors, the space in the room was the width of a small bedside cabinet. The shower facilities were a rubber shower hose, to be attached to the sink taps, with the hose end to hang on a hook on the wall directly facing the toilet, which was less than 50cm away. it was impossible to shower unless you sat on the toilet! When I complained the reception staff were rude, when I asked for the manager, a young woman arrived claiming to be the manager, she had me moved to another, more suitable room and told me I there would be no charge for the previous night along with an apology. I thought that was the end of the matter and proceeded to enjoy the sights of the city on the first day of my 2 night stay. When I went to check out I noticed the receptionist was charging me for my first night, when I reiterated the conversation I had in her presence with the manager she became rude and insisted this was not the case, again I asked for the manager, and again this young woman appeared saying she was the manager, when I reminded her of what she had said the previous day and why, she also denied ever having the conversation and became very argumentative, and increasing the original price of my bill every time I asked her why she was lying, giving no reason but insisting I pay, She became very intimidating, and threatened to charge my credit card as they already had my details. I could not believe these two females were deliberately trying to antagonise and intimidate me, they completely ruined my stay at the hotel and I would not recommend it to any of my fellow travellers.

the breakfast was adequate

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Double Room with Airport Pickup

The shower wasn't very powerful. Also we had requested a twin room when we booked but were given a double.

Bed was very comfortable. Safe in room. Lots of storage. Location was excellent. Hotel replied to our queries speedily. Good choice at breakfast. The free transfer included in the price made our stay hassle-free and overall it was good value. Would definitely stay again and will highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Although there were hot water making facilities in the room with tea and coffee, there was no milk (I didn't realise this until I made a cup of tea when getting up in the morning). There was an extra item on my bill from the mini bar, although I hadn't used the minibar. They did remove this when I pointed it out to them.

Quiet & comfortable rooms (although very small and basic on my first night, I was offered a bigger and better room the next day even though I hadn't requested a change). Good breakfast choice. 24 hour Room service menu was reasonably priced. Wifi was free and available in all areas. Room and reception had lockable safes free of charge. Hotel was within walking distance of the City Centre (about 12 mins). Alternatively, there was a bus stop near the hotel, and buses were frequent and cheap (a days travel card for all buses and trams cost about £2).

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Excellent location. The room was clean, big, more than I was expecting. Breakfast served to room service without additional cost. The girls at reception were very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double Room with Airport Pickup

Only two (minor) blemishes on an otherwise excellent experience - the duvet provided was very thin and too small for the room's double bed. We managed, but it wasn't ideal (it gets cold in Sofia in October!). Also, the 'hot' food options at breakfast were merely tepid, and the range and quantity were very limited. That said, breakfast was overall very good, with plenty of variety and choice of cold buffet items, and the excellent coffee deserves a special mention.

The staff were friendly, very helpful and made us feel welcome and well looked after. The city centre location was a great base for exploring many of the major tourist attractions on foot, and also very close to the Metro which made it easy to travel further afield. Our room, towards the back of the hotel, was comfortable and there was no traffic noise at all intruding from the busy main road directly outside the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The receptionists were all kind and very helpful to me, they all meet our request 100%. Nice breakfast service, room been cleaned everyday. Everything perfect

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Breakfast coffee was out of a machine and not very good. My room was spacious and quiet, but the dingiest, darkest hotel room I've ever stayed in - hardly any natural light and light bulbs were all very dim. Made me avoid spending time in the room apart from just to sleep.

The location was convenient, and the bed was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast food was fine.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

a restaurant - although we did get a transfer to a nearby restaurant which was the best i have been in - bulgaria

the room was tastefully decorated i had an excellent nights sleep we will definitely go back - oh the bathroom had everything and i mean everything fabulous

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

just minor items like no exhaust in bath so felt humid, A/C in main room had to cool the bedroom so took time. Hotel just needs a few repairs in bath but apart from that great hotel.

Rooms very large and spacious. Good wifi.. the décor was very nice particularly the brass taps .. the location is superb as right next to lidl and a church and mosque and 5 mins. from underground network. we loved this and happy to recommend as price is reasonable. I love the lifts as looks great.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The hotel is situated in an area populated by illegal immigrants and drug dealers. Two friends from Sofia warned me of the unsuitability of the area and indeed on Tuesday night there was a sound of an altercation.. men and womens voices at 02h00 in the corridor outside my room and repeated attempts to get into my room resulting in my having to barricade the door with furniture. The breakfast was hit and miss--sometimes no scrambled eggs or no croissants in spite of it being only 7h30 a.m. But the worst aspect was the refusal of the desk staff to tell me the exchange rate they were using to arrive at my bill. The manager called you and kept thrusting the phone into m,y face, screaming in a hystericql way that I had to speak to you. I told her i would contact you when I was back in the UK and had access to all the correspondence from you. I have never been so rudely and aggressively treated by any hotel staff anywhere in the world. This woman should not hold any position dealing with the general public

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Wouldn't give it more than 1 star!!! Arrived on a hot summer day and the Air Conditioner did not work. Wanted to open a window, but surprise - the room did not have a window ( this information is not given by Booking.com). And guess what? The manager refused to move us to another room. If you are smart enough - stay away from this place!!! Much better hotels in central Sofia.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

Air con / shower grouting .We had problem with hotel phone : Room said dial 0 for reception ! Did so but no connection! Informed desk to be told try 9and yes it worked. Air con was struggling and after informing reception were told to switch from 3 to 1 resulting in a huge improvement .Requested 330 wake up call for flight but it did not happen . Good job mobile alarm worked.

G8 location close to all attractions + transport.Breakfast really good with nice staff. Though room small we enjoyed the canopy, fridge ,tv and lighting.Nice character to the overall interior architecture.Also pleasantly quiet. Will return.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The room had a fluorescent lamp as a light source, which I don`t like. Breakfast is not good. Not a lot of choice, not appealing and the white bread had mold. Breakfast room is in the basement and needs some renovations.

Room was clean and comfy. Not big, but for a couple of nights totally ok. Staff was friendly but some did not speak good English. The hotel is very central to the city center. They had a "buisness center"; ideal for printing your boarding pass.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Only complaint was there was no English breakfast tea, only green tea and fruit teas.

great location, within walking distance of all sights in city centre, and metro to airport. Good breakfast, but bring your own Tea bags if you want English breakfast tea. (They obviously don't get many Irish or English visitors.) Lovely room, friendly and helpful staff at reception. Good value for money. Recommend it.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The staff were not very friendly. There was basically one or 2 nice and helpful staff out of a front of house of 10 people (on rotation). Just be prepared for no smiles all around. The lounge was closed off for use even though I never saw anyone using it.

They cleaned everyday and changed towels.

There were several steep steps up to the lift, so a suitcase had to be lifted up these to get into it.

Having a dressing gown.

Breakfast is just bad

Location is the best

All I needed was perfect! Thanks a lot.

• Budget Double or Twin Room

The view we had from our window was the airconditions from the other apartments and the smell if you would like to open the window was terrible .

break fest, stuff attitude, room without window

good location, heigh seilings

it could be cleaner

good stuff, good location

• Budget Double or Twin Room

There were no windows in the room. The smell in the whole hotel was quite disgusting and the air conditioner didn't work.

Hardly any natural light in my room.

Great location, clean, nice staff, quiet.

Browse Maria Luisa Hotel traveller photo gallery