Reviews of Sveta Sofia Hotel 4 stars

18 Pirotska Str. , Centrum, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria

#135 of 179 hotels in Sofia

• Room Selected at Check In

The fruit juices were absolutely undrinkable, but it does not really matter. Rest of breakfast ok. Also, bed a bit too soft, although enormous.

Excellent location. Young lady at reception extremely helpful and multilingual (even Spanish!). Very good value for money if booked reasonably earlier (massive differences depending on date of booking).

It is a very old hotel, with not very comfortable beds, ancient bathroom, bad cleaning service, and which doesn't smell very well. It urgently needs to be renewed. Very poor breakfast.

Well located. Close to the main sights.

• Room Selected at Check In

The description says the hotel has parking spaces, but this is not the case, so we had to look for a parking spot and, because the street was narrow and cars were already parked on both sides, we ended up using a paid parking lot nearby. Breakfast was very disappointing - low variety and low quality; also, the staff was very slow to replenish empty containers, so there was even less to choose from. There are no restaurants in the immediate proximity, from what I could see. Fortunately, my favourite Bulgarian restaurant, Happy, was a 10-minute walk away. Also, if the hotel is going to offer an adult TV channel, it would be nice to add a child supervision system of some sort. The furniture is quite old and ugly, and some guests might mind that. Overall, the price is a bit high compared to the facilities, but if all you're looking for is a great location and a clean room, this is an ok choice.

The location is excellent, as you can walk to the main attractions. The room was clean and one of the receptionists was quite nice.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Altough being booking.com genious member and asked an earlier check in they didn't give us a room before 14:00. We had to wait from 9:00 till 14:00

Breakfast was good.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

There was a old men on the reception very unfriendly. Everytime if somebody want come to my room just for visit me not sleep. He want them identidy card and all personal details, also he charged them for come to my room for 30minutes. In all my many vacations i never pass something bad. I recommend you stay away from this hotel!

Breakfast was v. limited. A buffet, but not a lot of most things and staff v. slow to replenish items. Bedroom drapes not very thick Bed coverings not extensive Towels thin.

Location is great. Reception staff v. helpful.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Needed to change room, Not really clean some beds, the mattress... the bedsheets yes they were clean. Bathroom very clean. smoke enters in open window from the street.

Great location, very nice breakfast, very very big rooms. Spacious room and bathroom, toiletries are good. Very clean bedsheets.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Outstanding location, walking distance from a large number of restaurants and there is a metro connection nearby, and the room itself was good considering the low price, but nothing special.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Room was a noisy nightmare , with no other option available. Water pipes gave extremely loud banging, wakening me every time someone used their toilet. This alone is the reason I will not be keen to return to this hotel, as stayed before and knew about this room, asking the hotel not to locate me in it. The room was at the back 107 or 110 I think.

Location easy access to metro and central sites.

• Room Selected at Check In

- The food of the brekfast was poor. Worst coffee ever. Also, there wasn't enought food for everybody.And no milk without lactose. - We looked below the bed... They never clean? There was a chewie gum and also a condom paper... - The tv was from 50 years ago. - they gived us a single room without natural light... But the girl wss kind and they changed to a bigger one. - The bathroom became a pool after taking a shower.

Just the location... Amd that they understand english

All is very old and looks and smells soviet. At the arrival, I had to wait as the computer at the reception was not working and the staff was lost not knowing the number of my room.

Well located and kind staff.

smell bad, cleanliness no good. facilities poor, no option to get a tea, water or coffee... nothing available, restaurant only open on breakfast. small TV (old), no work remote control. breakfast few alternatives, artificial juice.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Restaurant is closed, only used for breakfast, no bar in the hotel. Hotel is a bit decrepit, old fashioned, some furniture are damaged, example: the mini bar door not opening and closing very well, the shower tray split, some baseboards damaged. The fridge of the minibar was making a lot of noise. Not a 4* hotel level

Very good location in the city center. Breakfast was good Very calm Very attentive staff

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Walls were like from a paperboard so I could hear every move of my neigbour not speaking about TV or talking. Like they would be in your room with you. Second terrible thing was a ventilator in a bathroom. Sound of a helicopter... I am afraid that in the other rooms it is similar as I could hear it too from the next room. Regarding a breakfast - I think nowadays is not a problem to serve a normal orange juice and not a drink from an instant powder. It is really undrinkable.

The position of the hotel is fine. Close everywhere. Busy but silent street with many shops. People working in the hotel are kind and helpful.

No complaints.

Check in was easy, the guy let us in the room a little earlier than stated on site which was good. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were helpful.

We were very pleased. No complaints at all.

We loved the traditional look of the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. The room was comfortable and clean. The location was interesting and close to where we were interested in seeing.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The WiFi was not working and was not fixed for a day which meant I could not use it.

The location was excellent, the staff were very helpful, the breakfast was very good, the style of the building was very elegant, the room was large and had all I needed for my stay the bed was very comfortable.

Our flight was late, so we arrived at 2am but the Receptionist welcomed us. We overslept and went for breakfast just minutes before the official end but the staff was very kind and patient, so we did manage to have our breakfast. The location and the facilities of Sveta Sofia are great but the people working there - even better!

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No room service No mini bar Very poor breakfast selection Only one lift (elevator) for the entire hotel No parking Poor WiFi No sound insulation from the street below Terrible decor, very dated

The staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful. It's clean enough, but very basic accommodation

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The advertising is for 4 stars hotel. The hotel is not more than 2 stars. So, if they would have say 2 stars hotel I would have give them mark 9. But as you say 4 stars hotel and the level is not more than 2 stars your misleading the crowd and you get disappointment.

As I expected for 4 stars hotel nothing is good!

• Room Selected at Check In

The room was very small. The bathroom too. I almost couldn't use the bathroom as there was a very small cabin. It was very difficult to reach the hotel with a taxy.

The breakfast was very good.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The room is a bit small; the restaurant is at the basement without sunlight and windows. We requested for a large double bed and received confirmation before arrival. However, when we check-in, the staff gave us the twin beds. At the end, we returned to the reception and showed the confirmation to get the double bed. The process was not so smooth.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

It was hard to find where the parking was exactly! the street outside can be dark.

its a great value hotel, not far from centre. everything is walking distance. it is not the most modern hotel, but it is clean, comfortable & the bedroom was very big. we even got a balcony, the room was at the front of hotel but it was quiet. breakfast was good, plenty of choice & included in room rate.

• Room Selected at Check In

The location is close to the centre of the city and the major landmarks are within walking distance. It’s a moderate but comfortable place to stay in Sofia.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Hotel is not so far from center but is located in the dirty part of the city, the view from the room was really ugly. during the breakfast they are not putting so much stuff on the buffet table, so you have to wait for some better stuff as omelets, pancakes, ecc.. The stay we had to pay immediatly on our arrival ( this happend for the first time). Lobby bar was closed all the time during our staitment.. From my point of view is not hotel with 4 stars, max 3.

The bed is comfortable.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

I feel this should be rated as a 3 star hotel. Facilities, comfort, quality of sheets and blankets, and the overall feel do not match a 4 star hotel.

Good location. Close to Maria Luisa boulevard, Serdika Metro Station, McDonalds, shops and cafe. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good value for money.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

My room 110 was noisy due to the traffic,TV in reception and the noisy lift.They moved me to another room next to the gym 215,so consequently I didn't sleep a wink.When I asked for a reduction in my extended stay because of this trauma the manager refused.He clearly loves money and completely disregards his customers welfare.These rooms should be soundproofed ,otherwise you will find the experience like a school dormitory.The manager failed in his customer care,the receptionist excelled in hers.

The receptionist who checked me in was brilliant,very welcoming and clearly highly efficient at her job.She was very concise,the only problem was my room which was above reception and noisy!She is very good at her job though ,so give her a pay rise with immediate effect!

Staff should smile and welcome the guests. They were not smiley and helpful. The room was smelling awful, they changed it after our request but they gave us one smaller. We paid cash and they said "I don't have change now, I will give you when I have". She was new but someone has to train her. There was none at the breakfast to say good morning. It was only a boy just cleaning tables but not even wave us when we entered.

Location. Very close to metro station.

• Room Selected at Check In

At departure the receptionist communicated by radio with the maids, in front of us, to check if we accurately reported on the use of the minibar. First time I see this. I am sure there must be some more discrete way to do this.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

This is not 4* hotel.i really had a filling that I was in 80s!!! Maybe it had 4* before 20-30yrs, but for today standards, sorry but NO! But if you want cheap and clean stay, then this is a good choice

Location. Clean rooms

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Getting a little outdated, although I would use again.

Great location, spacious room, friendly staff, breakfast enough to have a decent choice, hot and cold.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Stayed room 107, at the back of the hotel, really loud banging from the water pipes, Plan a return visit in April, will not be using same room.

Central location, have used this hotel a few times, wifi good, breakfast ideal, large rooms, friendly staff.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No internet at the floors, brocken shower, no willingness of staff to help me, no cattle in the room, empty bar in the room, extremely poor TV and bad quality

• Standard Double/Twin Room

The breakfast was a little unimaginative - more variety and more plentiful supplies would be a plus. The hotel in general needs a facelift - relatively spacious rooms and high ceilings and therefore what seems to be a huge amount of wall painted orange, with very little in the way of room decorations, is not conducive to relaxation and gives a Spartan feel, although the space to move around and spread out your luggage easily was definitely a plus. I was asked to pay the full amount (6 nights) at check-in - reason given was that some recent guests escaped without paying !!

The central location is very convenient - walking is easy to all the major sights of Sofia.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Definitely not a 4 star hotel, I haven't seen any superior condition in there, but rather an old hotel that needs serious improvements. Very poor furnishing. Very small bed. Some receptionists are far away from speaking English.

Good value for money. Close to the city center.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

If you're after a good gym this isn't the place for you. It's a low cost value for money place. Don't expect anything fancy.

Good for the central location and kind staff.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Maybe they could beef up the wifi signal just a bit, but most rooms have excellent signal, just the Suite needed some help with the signal. I prefer the Suite because it's gorgeous, but it's critical to have wifi these days so I switched rooms. I love the Sveta!

My first room had limited wifi so they moved us. Very responsive to any issue. I love staying at the Sveta

• Standard Double/Twin Room

, -we was disappointed about breakfast- the gym and the sauna covering very small areas -

its a great location near the serdika station which from there you can go anywhere in Sofia in minutes ,but reception staff very helpfull in general we was happy as we disover sofia easily from this hotel

• Room Selected at Check In

The decor, orange and brown, was grim. The whole place was a Communist leftover. In my room the walls were paper thin and I heard Bulgarians chattering away next door (thank God, no more embarrassing noises). The funny lighting system meant you had to lock and unlock the door in the dark because the key fob was the light trigger. The fridge rattled and whined (a bit) through the night. No instrux on how the prehistric telly worked . The breakfast coffee tasted like I imagine concentration camp coffee tasted, made of ground acorns. Buy some nescafe, please or real coffee beans. Watch out for minibar prices.

I don't want to be too unkind. The breakfast was nice. The mostly young staff were super. Some good TV channels (for those interested in Bulgaria). For £40 a night not too bad.

No opening window. If you want to breath fresh air , you can't. No sattelite tv. All channels images are fuzzy. No clear channel, even one. Breakfast room was a bit cold , wearing your jacket is a good idea if you go to breakfast. And last; all omelets and eggs were cold. Not a bit , very cold.

Very close to everywhere by walking. Clean room. Comfortable bed and pillow. Good breakfast. (If you dont prefer to eat eggs )

• Room Selected at Check In

Fridge was very loud. Breakfast was ok, but didn't match up to the other good standards of the hotel.

Great location for town. Friendly staff, who arranged an airport transfer for us. Large room which was well equipped.

No way this is a 4 stars hotel. Max a 2 stars. The mattress are old and way to soft. The rooms are old. The shower and sink have big troubles on empty the water.

Central position. Big room.

• Room Selected at Check In

Wifi not perfect. There is not a bar inside the structure. Old furniture.

Central position, walking distance from main street and 300m from metro station Serdika (there is direct connection to airport, 20 minutes). Full of shops and restaurant outside. Good breakfast. Convenient price.

• Room Selected at Check In

Bed - very bad mattress.The other morning receptionists barely engaged with guests.

The night receptionist was extremely helpful. It was a great location for everything touristy and also to get a flavour of the non-touristy area which is close by. Coffee was super. Breakfast is reasonable. Large size room. Not noisy.

• Room Selected at Check In

WiFi connection failed - the provided password by the Reception did not work properly. Lights in the corridor leading to our room did not turn on regularly - a bit dark in the corridor. Room - a bit shabby curtains - otherwise it's an excellent hotel.

Friendly staff, chamber maid services excellent, room cleanliness at very high standard, room seemed to be newly renovated with a new carpet, sheets, etc. Excellent location, the heating was on - a very pleasant, warm ambient temperature.

I booked with booking.com and prepaid the whole amount but when we arrived our booking wasn’t processed. Around 7:00AM the fire alarm in the hallway woke us up and it kept very loudly beeping for half an hour until another guest knocked it off the ceiling. There was no emergency, terrible way to wake up because we all thought there was a fire

Breakfast was good

• Standard Double/Twin Room

dated t.v. No view, we asked for double bed but got 2 separate single beds that were put together, only one small blanket, we asked for more and got it

Nice room, clean, great location

Sveta Sofia Hotel is a good option for a weekend trip. Metro at 5 minutes Great place to stay, breakfast was good. Rooms are comfortable. Note: 4 stars in Bulgary are 2.5 in Holland

As soon as we arrived, they required us the whole payment for our sojourn. Never happened to me to pay at the check-in... The hotel rooms and infrastructure can be ranked as belonging to a three-star rather than a four-star hotel.

Excellent location in the city centre of Sofia. Good breakfast.

When I arrived, the hotel seemed to have no record of the booking, even though I showed the confirmation, there were rooms anyway so it was no problem to stay there. At night time the area is not well lit, it is not specifically unsafe, but I was certainly wary walking back to the hotel. Don't be surprised when you arrive by cab, it appears that there is no way a hotel could be at the location - you see a Chinese restaurant, and a very run down area, the hotel is in a pedestrian street, so a little off the round about where you are dropped. It is perhaps part of the charm, but I was a little wary of getting out of the cab, until the driver pointed to the hotel sign.

The hotel is in walking distance of all the major sites

• Room Selected at Check In

Hotel stuff is not friendly, not helpful and one of them was very rude. The room was not clean enough. Breakfast was just ok

Location is good but for Sofia everywhere is close.

Could have mosquito nets on the windows. We got a parcking ticket on parking which opens at 8 (at 8:15). Has nothing with hotel do.

Great location for getting around.

The breakfast was not bad, however, quality of the food and drinks offered could be much better.

The room was clean and big. Receptionists were kind and friendly.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

In last few years the area became a bit sketchy, so I would advise to be extra careful when leaving the hotel after it's getting dark. The hotel has a gym but it is not very well equipped so all you can do is cardio workout.

The hotel is in the proximity of the old town and historical sites. The breakfast is of good quailty and there is a big variety of foods so it should satisfy everyone. Staff in the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

• Room Selected at Check In

I would prefer if the breakfast served at the hotel was better quality.

I liked the location of Sveta Sofia hotel. İt's just on Pirotska shopping street, close to various shops, change buros, taxis, metro and other public transport. I liked a lot the fact that as soon as you leave the hotel you have a chance to see and visit at least several famous tourist attractions. That was the main reason why I chose Sveta Sofia hotel. Besides that the hotel was clean and everything seemed tidy and in a good order.

Air conditioner, refrigerator, and TV all did not work. TV would not turn on, refrigerator was hot inside after being on all night, and air conditioner was just blowing hot air around.

Location was good and staff were nice.

• Room Selected at Check In

I heard after I got here, "don't pay attention to stars, pay attention to pictures and reviews". This hotel has 4 star rooms, and I got to stay in one, but it also has 2 star rooms based on other reviews I read. REQUEST the kind of room you want! I did and was happy with it. The air conditioner in my room never really worked. While it blew cold air, my room never got colder. The balcony was shared and they were doing work on it, so although I was able to open the door to the balcony at night to cool down the room, that wasn't ideal with a workman outside in the morning. Luckily, I wasn't there much in the day while exploring how beautiful Sofia was, so I opted not to change rooms anyway. Some visitors complained about the breakfast, like the Belgians didn't like the chocolate and the Spaniards thought it was too much the same every day, but there was so much offered, I wouldn't complain.

The room was very large and had a rooftop balcony and a huge bathroom with a great shower. It had nice views of the city. The breakfast spread was also quite large and there was a lot to choose from. It seemed like a typical German breakfast too me - lots of meats and cheeses, but no banitza. The elevator always worked well. The staff were very friendly and accommodating with directions and recommendations and such. They will also take care of your luggage if you are checking out but not leaving for a while. The location is in walking distance to anything you could want, AND the subway! I got this place for a great price and was very happy!

To deserve the 4 stars Reception area /lobby needs a classy upgrade. Storing bikes and selling chewing-gums doesn't fit so many stars... Use the fantastic structure and past of the hotel to work on tbe "wow" factor when guests arrives, and you can even increase the price ;)

This place has lots of potential and the staff are cool and profetional. Its ok place to stay, clean, safe and close to the center. Breakfast was very good.

• Room Selected at Check In

I booked this hotel mainly because it had a picture of a bathtub in the pictures of the room. Yes, it's stupid but we don't have them in Copenhagen and I really looked forward to it. In reality there was a shower. The guy in the reception was new and when he called his manager to ask if I could be moved to another room with a bathtub, the answer was just "no". The aircond in the room was barely working and the gym is a joke. In general the hotel is alright, but definitely not what you expect of 4 stars.

The staff was great, really nice and speaking perfect English. The location is very central and the room was clean and quiet.

• Room Selected at Check In

Staff were friendly but their English could have been better as they didn't understand that we wanted our passports kept in the safe, not just "left behind reception"!! Rooms were okay - basic but excellent value for money. Instead of 4 miniature shampoos, it would have been better to provide shower gel. A minor point. They were also quite mean with the towels. But all minor points when compared with the fantastic location and value for money.

A good buffet breakfast was included. Rooms were basic but clean. The hotel has a feeling of faded glory from years of communism, a fall from 4 glorious stars to a modest 3 star. Location was key. In a quiet street, pedetrianised but only a 2 minute walk from the centre and Serdica metro. Staff were friendly. There was a fridge/mini-bar in the room which was very reasonable and convenient. Very friendly coffee bar next door and one of the most authentic Bulgarian restaurants (Serdica Restaurant) two minutes walk away. Perfect for a short city break.

• Room Selected at Check In

Not air conditioned, room was so hot got so many moscito bites with window open. Room had ants. Kept awake for hours witj noisy guests no one at reception to complain to. Would not stay here again.

Good location, breakfast was fin

• Standard Double/Twin Room

WiFi kept dropping out. Room not serviced regularly, had to go find another toilet roll. No bath mat so used a hand towel as I don't like a wet floor. More hooks needed in bathroom. Rated supposedly 4 star but really between 2 - 3.. Pillows not good. Weather too warm for a doona only. A simple sheet would have been good. Air conditioning not too good.

Location good, breakfast good. Room size ok. Lift worked. Good sitting area in reception and big luggage storage area.

• Room Selected at Check In

All the hotel, mainly the breakfast room and the rooms look old-fashioned and old in general. In my room the cabin of the shower couldn't close properly and the air conditioner, though perfectly working, was unable to keep the room cold. But I have to say I paid € 36,60 per day with breakfast so it was enough for me.

The hotel is located in a pedestrian street punctuated by shops and supermarkets and within walking distance both from public transportation (tramways, buses and metro to the airport) and from the sightseeing places. My room was large enough with a large bathroom, breakfast was good too with juices, yoghurt, cereals, jams, pancakes, bread and hot beverages. Nice young staff at the desk.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

There is no parking for the hotel. I parked next street and at 8.24 AM there was a metal boot on my car which they removed for 30 leva. You can only buy parking ticket with a BG sim card sms.

Good bed and friendly staff

• Standard Double/Twin Room

No gym, no laundry and the TVs are old, colour wasn't working and the sound kept changing on its own.

Great location. Staff were friendly. Air con worked fine, no noise from other rooms or outside, even when I had my window open. Parking is around the courier for €6 per day.

The hotel is a bit old and many of the facilities don't work. I suffered from the AC and had to leave early.

Location was great. I also liked the Staff's responsiveness. Elia at the reception was great.

• Room Selected at Check In

Reception staff were far too casual and didn't look very serious. Night porter was sleeping on couch early in morning

Fairly good access to city,restaurants,bars.

• Room Selected at Check In

Booking was not confirmed when we arrived at the hotel. Whether this was due to booking.com or hotel, we never found out - partly because of the very poor English of the young lady in the reception. Fortunately there were two rooms available which we had to re- book and pay for in advance. Not a good start. Base of toilet leaked, which was most unpleasant, and notification to the reception staff produced no reaction. Mini bar was empty.

• Room Selected at Check In

at check-in we waited 5 min before being even addressed and then they tried to charge me double, 166 keva instead of the 83, luckily i could cancel the paying process. but didn't get a real apology. breakfast buffet was o.k., good fresh cheese, but also cheese in plastic foil and cold eggs. problem was it closed at 10 a.m. sharp, no question if anyone wanted to get something before closing. for a 4 star hotel disappointing overall impersonal run down tourist trap. not even close to 4 stars. no customer appreciation. overpriced under these circumstances.

Location is perfect, very central and close to subway station.

• Room Selected at Check In

Breakfast a bit basic, kept running out of stuff (e.g. scrambled egg) and not replenishing it. No teaspoons, always had to ask then got just one.

Comfortable, helpful staff, excellent location, no fuss

• Standard Double/Twin Room

On the booking site says, they have a parking place...they don't. Some of the staff they have at the front desk has nothing to do with the job they suppose to provide. Noise and dirty hotel.

We couldn't sleep with windows open because of pedestrian noise until late. We were on the 1st floor, so got some smoking smells from below.

Location is excellent. Close enough to walk many places. On a pedestrian mall, so no traffic. Subway station 2-3 blocks away. Lots of restaurants nearby. Very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Location was perfect. Located in the shopping street and walking distance to all the major landmarks. Staff was very friendly, even when we arrived very late it was possible to check-in. Can recommend it to everybody.

• Room Selected at Check In

if this hotel is a 4 star hotel as presented then im the quinn of england. the hotel looks like it askaip from the 80,s and the Facilities are the same i dont even now were to begin. no house kipping no good food no comfort bed no nice staf no quit room not anofe blanket yes good and on time wake up call to go to the air port.

• Standard Double/Twin Room

Probably because I was expecting to stay in a 4 star hotel, when I got into the small, old (but clean) room, I got a negative impression, which stayed till today. The personnel tried their best to make this change, but the way everything looked dated, kept reminding us, this is definitely not a 4 star hotel.

Personnel, comfortable bed