Reviews of Hotel Astoria Copacabana 4 stars

Rua República do Peru, 345, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22021040, Brazil

#285 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

• Super economy

I wish there was a hair dryer only. The elevator was a little slow too.

One of the best ones I've stayed in! The comfort and cleanliness have positively surprised me. Excelent value for money.

While nice, staff wasn't very helpful to visit area. They only wanted to sell us their tours, which are a lot more expensive The room was small for 2 bags

Nice and clean, close to beach and metro Good breakfast Staff speaks English

The pool was incredibly overlooked and therefore had sun for about an hour a day. The maid came into our room twice unannounced, once when we were still asleep, for no reason we hadn't requested a clean or any help and it wasn't checkout day. The staff were quite standoffish and when we checked in we weren't given all the info other people were as the night staff clearly have a kip.

The price was reasonable, and the staff helped to arranged a trip to the football game.

• Standard Twin Room

WiFi’s is very slow ..the only way u can get reception of WiFi’ is being in the bathroom. The elevator is very slow and stopped every floor . And some of the staff there were rude and English only a few staff speaker English ..no jacuzzi and .

Not really like anything

• Super economy

Single rooms face to a building void thus no view which is ok if you stay on the 5th floor and above but below that there's a roof so that no daylight and fresh air. I had to ask to change my room after the first day to the upper floors

I stayed in a single room. It was small but by this compromise I could benefit from all the hotel services and the excellent location with a reasonable price.

• Super economy

That’s a problem in whole Rio: English. It’s avtually ridiculous that staff in the hotel doesn’t speak English. The reception people were fine, but not all of them. I’ve tried to solve the deposit problem with a guy at the reception and no communication cause of his English. There are so many tourists in Rio that I don’t know how it’s acceptable for people not to speak English (the same in bars, taxis etc).

It was clean even tho a little outdated. Perfect location. The doormen super nice. The young lady in the reception was amazing when I lost my key card and helped me out. Breakfast was ok, just like all other hotels in Rio, however I’d add more variety (meat, cheese, veggies for sandwiches).

• Standard Quadruple Room

There was loud construction going on when we arrived, which we were unaware of. Only one elevator was working during the first day of a busy holiday weekend causing a long line. The breakfast area was way too tight for how many people were staying. The options for breakfast were mediocre. Needed more seating around the pool.

fitness room should be open from 6am to 10pm

The fitness room should be open from 6am to 10pm. I could not use the room at 8am.. (they said it's open after 9am)

• Standard Triple Room

Hotel staff tried to say that we opened all 5 mini bottles of water in the refrigerator (but didn't drink any of them) and attempted to charge us.

• Standard Twin Room

A bit small room. Breakfast could stay until 11:30am. Got there at 11 all chairs were up. Completely finished. Holiday deserve a long morning..

Facilities were great. Staff helpful. Nice breakfast. Good Location

The hotel is located on a quiet, small street, so even if you stay on the 1st floor it won't interrupt your relax time. At the same time everything is so close - the Copacabana beach, bars, restaurants. Amazing location! and good value for money!

The air con was tooo loudly, I think it it’s too old one and they have to renovate it for sure! Everywhere there’s a smell of old old furniture. They do not provide u with water to drink. Swimming is to tiny.

It’s really Near by Copacabana,transportation is good! Breakfast is perfect! Stuff is nice and helpful.

We went during Carnaval & paid $200AUD per night which was a little pricey considering the room was quite basic. The maid wasn’t exactly generous with the towel changes, we showered multiple times per day due to beaching and partying and everywhere being so hot and it would have been nice to receive fresh towels daily but perhaps they pride themselves in being eco-friendly ?

Coming back to a cool air con room after the sweltering Rio sun was just what we needed! The staff could not have been more helpful, a little reserved at first but very friendly once you get them talking! Great breakfast! Excellent location, so quiet due to the double glassed windows, you wouldn’t even know you were in the middle of Copacabana!!

• Super economy

Breakfast with few options (but good enough to start the day).

Good option at Copacabana. Close to subway station and Copacabana beach, and has good restaurants nearby. Clean rooms, good option for who will spend the day sightseeing and will come back to a shower and sleep.

• Standard Twin Room

The internet access was terrible. The elevator was extremely small and slow based on the size of the hotel. The breakfast could be much better.

The location.

• Standard Twin Room

Night manager and night staff were rude and power hungry. We had to check out at 4am to make our flight and they made the check or process a nightmare! They decided that our pillow case had sand on it and therefore we had to pay. This was concerning as sand simply washes off yet they would not have any of it. This was worrying as if they found sand difficult to clean did they wash the sheets at all? I bet the night manager just wanted to make a quick buck as we had to pay in cash - so was making us bribe him so we can leave. Horrible customer service and a horrible way to leave Rio

Check-in was great - they had a bathroom we could use before we could do in our room. Staff gave us good recommendations of where to go Location great Room nice

• Super economy

a lot of noise. Poor arrangement of rooms. Klinners start to work very early and create a lot of noise, you can not get enough sleep

very good geograpgical position

• Super economy

Would struggle in a super economy room for more than a few nights because it is tiny.

Good location, easy to find. Efficient check in. Room was tiny (single/super economy room) but ok for one night. Bedding was good, shower good, air con good. Did not use tv or minibar. Breakfast - busy but found table and good choice. Check out efficient.

• Standard Twin Room

Staff was unfriendly and almost nobody spoke English. Luggage storage is not in separate room but right next to the elevator. Be careful when leaving your valuables there.

The rooms were small but clean.

• Super economy

More like 3 stars, very small room and bathroom, lack of basic amenities such as beach towels or cups for brushing your teeth, noisy doors, cramped breakfast room that often has a queue, some surly staff

Good location and good price

The hotel is showing on booking.com as a 4 stars hotel while they actually are a 3 stars hotel. It's not fair to book something and getting something different upon arrival. The pool is so very small, approx 10 m x 5 m, not so decent for a swim.

Good location, close to the beach

• Super economy

I have been twice to this hotel in less than a year. Never saw a single smile in any of the receptionists. They need to learn how to smile to customers from the bellboy named Sergio.

Close to Copacabana beach. Very decent hotel for your money; definitely a good value. Breakfast was abundant. Friendly staff, specially one of bellboys named Sergio, very polite all the time; the receptionists should learn to smile more like him.

I like way they treat their guests. The receptionist named Simone is a plus in the property. She is very kind, attentive and helpful to all our needs. I would strongly recommend the place for quality and above standards (e.g.location, food, and etc.) and worth for the price you paid.

waiting for the elevator

excellent for breakfast good selection convenient location to subway, buses, taxi, beach, post-office, fast food restaurants, and several good restaurants.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Super economy

My check was extremely slow also they follow the check in rules like come at 14.00 for your room ! The staff from another planet , or they don't training well or they are lazy to work ! Many things happen but no have reason to count them ! So now to my lovely nightmare room No 1001 ! The refrigerator workinglike to have an extra motor in the room , the ventilator of the bathroom wake ip all the floor but the cheery to the cake was the elevator of 10th floor ! Just beside of the room ! Every fiew.mins you hearing the slings with cabin to going up and down , the peoples to go in or they speaking loud with out care of somemore loving in the same floor ! My door doesn't locked ! The room and bathroom was tiny and the bed too , Comfortable !for 12 yaer old ? Generally very dissapoiintes from the thqt hotel

Just the location and good breakfast, , nothing more !

Our first stay was much better than our second this was due to our room smelly like smoke. I should have gone down straight away but we thought the smell would go, sadly it didn't. From going in the swimming pool I learnt that this happens as some guests smoke out of their window which causes the room to smell.

We state here twice during our time in Rio. On both occasions the staff were very good, especially the girl behind the desk who helped me out greatly in printing off some documents. The rooms are spacious and the breakfast has some good options although is slightly chaotic as well as being in a very good location in Rio, so close to the beach and lots of shops. It is also cleaned on a daily basis and would stay here again.

The second time we stayed our room smelled of stale smoke even though the rooms are no smoking! Also the sauna didn't work.

The breakfast is pretty good - enough to keep you going for the day! The location is great for the beach too.

It's not that we didn't. like but we got a little surprise when we checked in. The price was 20 reals more expensive than it was announced on the site.

The staff and the services are excellent. People who work there are very nice. Ozeas, Sergio,.. and all the other we couldn't know or couldn't remember the name, were very helpful and very kind to us.

• Super economy

very nice hamman but it smelle bad inside ... they should put "insence"

Very good located, walking distance to shopping and beach. Very clean, the room, the restaurant, the hotel. Excellent breakfast. Excellent room service ( cleaning everyday, no disturbance). The breakfast is fantastic so many choices of juices, pastries... and very very kind and helpful staff at the reception. Special thanks to Simone ( receptionist ) who has found out for me a donation center, even accepted to come with me to the donation center (coze i don't speak the local language) and the day I had to leave to the airport, there were a taxi strike, so no taxi available, she quickly found out a solution and got me a taxi from "uber" . So really thank u soo much to everyone and especially to Simone, great receptionist !!! She is too kind, polite and helpful and professional

• Super economy

The hammam smells very bad... they should put some incense in....

Very good located, walking distance to shopping and beach. Very clean, the room, the restaurant, the hotel. Excellent breakfast. Excellent room service ( cleaning everyday, no disturbance). The breakfast is fantastic so many choices of juices, pastries... and very very kind and helpful staff at the reception. Special thanks to Simone ( receptionist ) who on my request has found out for me a donation center, even accepted to come with me to the donation center (coze i don't speak the local language) and the day I had to leave to the airport, there were a taxi strike, so no taxi available, i was so much worried...she quickly found out a solution and got me a car from "uber" . So really thank u soo much Simone, great, very helpful receptionist !!!

• Standard Triple Room

The staff try to make me re-book a room with prices updated much more expensive than the price I paid, because of a reservation problem. We arrived to the Hotel late and the explained us that the reservation was cancelled because of this reservation "problem" and the hotel was full. When I began to speak with her in portuguese and I show her the booking confirmation email, she found a room... Not the most honest people I met.

The rooms are comfortable and the location is very good. Very close from the Copacabana Beach. Breakfast is very good too but the room dedicated to this is a bit small.

• Super economy

The biggest disadvantage is that there is only 1 small elevator working for the whole hotel - takes a lot time (and sometimes not from the first time of elevator arrival because it's crowded). Breakfast room is always very crowdy too. Small, dark rooms for solo travelers. The pool is in the 1st floor, therefore no sun near it. They charge 5% more for bookings.

The location is 5-10 mins. from Copacabana beach. Nice breakfast.

The receptionist in the evening was not very friendly. No toothbrushes,qtips, etc were provided. I expected that because the hotel had 4 stars.

The price was great for the location. It was close to the metro.

The sheets, towels, mats, were all stained. the spa wasnt cleaned at all! the cleanliness was atrocious

the staff at the front reception did everything to make us happy. Especially Edwardo, he went above and beyond to make us comfortable. He deserves a pay rise!!!! He was super nice every morning and evening and every time we saw him.

- not in the tourist area (also a plus) - a bit older hotel (not an issue for us)

- Great breakfast - good location, not too touristy - clean and nice rooms - close to buses and metro

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

I booked the room for the day as I had a late night flight. I arrived around 9am and requested an early check in if possible but was told nothing was available. I politely requested that in that case, could I please get a room as soon as possible, and was very sarcastically told by Eduardo at reception that he can't go and get a guest out of their room. When I mentioned that I was not staying the night, suddenly a room became available! As it was still very early and I'd just had a long flight from Bogota, I requested whether I could make use of the breakfast facilities, seeing I wouldn't be using it the following morning. Again, Eduardo immediately said that wasn't possible, but he's colleague told him that he could accommodate us. Although she too sarcastically said that am I sure I'm leaving tonight and not gonna double dip on the breakfast! This initial sarcasm of the reception staff was very unwelcome however after that, I must say they did warm up.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

I specifically asked them to put me in a room that I wouldn't have to move after my first night as I had to book 2 separate reservations. The man at check in said I wouldn't have to move, then the 2nd day they made me move rooms-obviously to a smaller room with a horrible bed that seems like its a thin pad with wood underneath. Rooms are not at all like in the photos and staff is less than helpful. Not impressed and NOT worth the money as there are so many options in Copa.

Location was good

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

breakfast was a nightmare -no where to sit and far too busy

The bed was comfy and room was clean pool was warm and clean the lady on the reception was very friendly and welcoming

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Reception staff extremely inefficient. They talk too much about random things and take forever to get things done. Air-conditioning in the room does not work properly. In the breakfast, cheese bread (pao de queijo) is not part of the buffet. This is an outrage in Brazil where pao de queijo (cheese bread) is one of the most common things you can have!!! There is an annoying procedure in checkout where they go see the room (and of course take forever) as if you were accused of something. I will never stay here again.

Great location, comfortable bed, clean room.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

The staff...not exactly polite, can barely be bothered to say hello, although can help with buses and info if need be. The rooms are basic for a 4*

Good location, decent breakfast, nice pool area and gym (gym is tiny though)

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

there is an old man work in reception his attitude is very bad and also the hotel holded an amount for the booking but did not refund it back until now

i like the location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Super economy

The single room was the tiniest room in recent memory, nothing like any of the pictures. I have stayed in budget rooms in Tokyo that were larger. A bit of a long walk to the beach. Overpriced for what you got, certainly didn't feel like a 4-star experience.

• Super economy

Needed a short taxi ride to Ipanema, the hotel doorman recommended to take the taxi from outside the hotel. The doorman then spoke to the taxi driver and set up a price of 20reals for such a short ride to Ipanema! Here is my advice: order yourself an UBER instead.

Great location - only few minutes walk to Copacabana beach. Helpful staff - only booked one night in advance, wanted to extend staying for one more night and there was no problem - got the same price for an extra night. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

unstocked mini bar - not a great problem as there was a machine in the foyer - but people want to be lazy on holiday which makes a minibar so convenient.

pool area breakfast staff location evening meal helped re additional day good value for Copa

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

The elevator is really the smallest one that I have ever seen, room is not big either. But considering the location, 300-400 meters to Copacabana beach, it's fine, I guess most of the hotels there are like this. I forget to take photos.

The breakfast is good, especially the fruit.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

The lifts are to small. Sometimes I was waiting five minutes for a lift to arrive. Not enough tables at breakfast.

I was given an upgrade to one of the suites. It's close to Copacabana Beach and the metro. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Was convenient place to stay for a couple days following the Olympics rush. We stayed at their sister hotel right on the beach earlier in the week. But this was nearly as convenient, clean and hospitable.

No facilities to make coffee in your room!

Staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast provision good lots of choice, rooms basic but very well maintained and clean.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Super economy

The reception staff were not very helpful and did not allow me to leave my luggage at the hotel for more than a few hours after my check-out. As I was going to Curitiba with a plan to return the day after, it was considered too long by the reception staff. The lady I spoke to at the reception said she would ask her manager for a permission on the phone and then said the manager has not granted my request after not having said a single word on the phone!!! :(

The hotel is pleasant and in a good location.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Super economy

Although small this hotel was big on hospitality and location location location. It was just perfect for me traveling alone. Breakfast buffet and room service were also top notch.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Super economy

-Overall too expensive for what you get. -The room was extremely small. -Marked with 4 stars in Booking.com which is misleading. -Room was not cleaned correctly every day. Did not get enough soap / shampoo. -Breakfast is chaotic, not enough tables have to ask staff for every small thing.

+Location was good

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Super economy

Evening shift staff is arrogant. All furniture is old and hotel needs renovation. In bathroom was mold. Hotel definitely doesn't worst of it money.

Location is not bad, just few blocks to the beach. Good breakfast and morning shift staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

The staff were quite incompetent during checkin and checkout. The gym and pool open way too late for the convenience of the staff but decidedly inconvenient for guests who would like to get in a little exercise before starting out their day. Nine o'clock is quite late and shows a lazy attitude by the hotel.

The breakfast was very nice with lots of fresh fruits. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Really bad service: the staff at reception is unfriendly; not clean in the room; they nevery change new washing stuff; they never cleaned the stuff you used......will not book this hotel anymore

The bedsheets smelled weird

A special gift when we had finished our check out

• Suite

My room the Suite Real

• Super economy

I found my room with the Door large OPEN one day.who knows for how many hours was like that cuz I was gone all day

• Super economy

Nothing. It was great for me. HIGHLY recommendable!

T

Price

• Standard Twin Room

They where gentle everything clean, exceptional service.

• Super economy

Everything was good for me at hotel 👍

You get what you pay for 👍

• Super economy

Very nice hotel , everything was working well, thanks .

• Super economy

The room was really small! That should be explained about it , before reservation

The staff and breakfast was amazing!!

The staffing very good, relaxed, happy

EL hotel en general

Dont know

Close to the beach, close to metro

• Super economy

No hairdryer in the room :( however, one was provided after request.

Excellent breakfast!

Surfaces in the room were grimy.

The full breakfast, served until 11 a.m., was extensive and good.

It’s not 4 stars hotel, it’s 3 stars. Room was small. Breakfast wasn’t good.

Location and price

• Super economy

No hair dryer in the room

Excellent hospitality! Flexible for early check in.

Old somehow. There is no place to park the car.

Room is big and quiet. The reception people is nice.

• Standard Twin Room

Good location, helpful staff, good value.

• Super economy

Even the breakfast and bed were excellent

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Super economy

A comfortable, well-equipped single room. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The location is ideal for the metro and beach.

I