Reviews of Mercure RJ Botafogo Mourisco 4 stars

Rua da Passagem, 39, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22290-030, Brazil

#169 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

The staff at check in were friendly and could converse in...
    • Classic Double Room

The hotel is rather old (much more than you would believe per the photos) I believe it is in need of an upgrade to match the Mercure brand. The location is really not that touristy, even though it is a close walking distance to the metro. It however is not the south zone and you can feel this.

The staff at check in were friendly and could converse in English, price was reasonable and rooms are spacious. There are several bars filled with Cariocas close by and the metro is walking distance.

Great!
    • Classic Double Room

The location is not the best for tourism but it suited my needs in the city.

Great breakfast and very big room. My room had a view to the statue of Christ! The dinner I ordered was very good. Also, the staff was so friendly.

Something to avoid
    • Standard Twin Room

In times of consumer empowerment I must say I'm a bit surprised to find out there are still companies ripping off customers on mini-bar prices. Don't get me wrong: I expect and am willing to pay a premium for the convenience of having those items at an arm's reach, but when someone charges you 15 bucks for something that can be found around the corner for $3, a line has been crossed – even for Rio, which is famous for the rip-offs. Aren't you satisfied with a 100% mark up? Do you really need to charge 5 times the price of an item to be profitable? It might help the bottom line of that particular hotel, but another effect is that costumers like me will avoid like the plague staying at any hotel from this chain – we prefer to take our businesses to companies that deliver more value to each spent dollar.

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Great place but disorganized staff.
    • Standard Twin Room

The staff is very disorganized and I always see people coming back to the reception because their cards/keys didn't work the first time they tried them. This has happened to me twice in the past two years that I've been to this hotel.

The location is just so convenient. A localização é ótima.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Watch your reservation terms very carefully.

The hotel page management on Booking.com is confuse. The same room is priced more than once and the cheaper alternative includes breakfast, the most expensive alternative does not include breakfast, makes the reservation confuse and the result is frustrating. We ended up staying without breakfast. I imagine that breakfast is good, Mercure can save ours. Information about the rooms are also wrong, according to the page, all rooms have the same 21 square meters, we were in a room "superior" with more than 40 square meters. The service called "hotel taxi" costs about double of the taxis parked outside the hotel and should not be offered in front of the driver, it causes embarrassment.

The staff is very friendly, very good facilities, information and excellent location.

Resistem em enviar NFe, colocando a culpa na prefeitura do...
    • Standard Twin Room

Resistem em enviar NFe, colocando a culpa na prefeitura do RJ. Atenção para as cobranças do service room incorretas!

Nice swimming pool and small fitness area.
    • Standard Twin Room

I think breakfast is a bit expensive

Nice swimming pool and small fitness area. Lovely large room with blockout curtains

very Long check in
    • Standard Twin Room

very Long check in poor Knowledge in english Quality of breakfast poor with nobody speaking english ....

Perfect location. Great view and service.
    • Standard Twin Room

Very well located, pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Nice hotel in Botafogo, a little bit expensive though
    • Standard Twin Room

Room was clean and spacious

Expensive for what it offers

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Very good location.

Very good location.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2016

View of Jesus statue, large room, good bed

Reception staff were terrible, they overcharged me by £110 !! Still waiting for booking.com to sort it Their admin was poor, accused me of overstaying when in fact we left early for the airport. We paid for an extra night thro booking.com as we wanted the room till 8pm as our flight left at 23.00. So far so good So in fact we paid for a night we did not use and then the hotel charged for another extra night on top!! As they believed we hadn't paid even though we had the booking paperwork to prove it Useless reception staff!!

View of Jesus statue, large room, good bed

• Reviewed: 8 March 2016

The hotel was truly a 5 stars in the 70s, but it is still a...

Nothing; everything was perfect !

The hotel was truly a 5 stars in the 70s, but it is still a great place to be as you can see that it was regularly maintained over the years. My room gave a view on the Christ, the neighborhood of Botafogo was very safe (Upper middle class Brazilian), the gym was nice, the swimming pool had a nice temperature. Concerning wifi: it was the best connection I had during my trip in Rio: I was able to catch some Skype professional interviews, and even stream NetFlix in HD !

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

This is a good hotel very colse to Copacabana.

The toilette is too small

This is a good hotel very colse to Copacabana. It's clean and the front Office is good. The front Office is good, I and my friend want to Thanks Junior Martinez for its patient with us! The breakfast was really really good.......the room was Good and clean ....

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

perfect location, nice view

they charge us some taxes which was not mentioned in booking conditions, they try to charge us breakfast which we do not have. Breakfast is overpriced so we use cafes around and it was good choice

perfect location, nice view

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

Loved the room.

Loved the room. Great location and friendly staff. Everyone was very helpful.Greeted always with a smile. Only complaint which was a small one, WiFi Internet connection very week ,often shutting off and in the middle of use. We recommend this hotel to anyone wanting clean room, grreat staff and a prime location .

• Reviewed: 23 March 2015

Great staff.

I wouldn't say the room was dirty, but it wasn't the cleanest room I've ever seen either. There were some small flies on my bathroom and the room was smelling strange when I came in the first time. It wasn't like sewer or anything bad like that, just an unpleasant smell. The room's decoration was tired, but I wouldn't necessarily rate that as too bad, specially if you are there for business.

Great staff. Good location. Good food and breakfast. Great bed.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2015

helpful reception staff (Marco, many thanks), clean...

service in the restaurant - terrible. Please, avoid it. It took 40 minutes to serve us a beer after we ordered dinner. Restaurant staff with less than basic communication skills in English

helpful reception staff (Marco, many thanks), clean amenities.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2016

Good location.

Food

Good location. Godo price.

• Reviewed: 13 March 2016

The room and the Rate

Breakfast is just ok

The room and the Rate

• Reviewed: 9 January 2016

Very helpful staff

Very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 27 December 2015

Great Location, Nice view of the corcovado.

Tricky to get by car, street's numbers are all messed up

Great Location, Nice view of the corcovado.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2015

Nice Modern Hotel

Breakfast is a bit too expensive

Nice Modern Hotel

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

Good size room and good breakfasts.

Ridiculous layout of the bathroom! Tiny gym

Good size room and good breakfasts. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

They did not send me a receipt.

They did not send me a receipt. I have called many times, but they ignored me.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2015

Every thing good

Staff

• Reviewed: 15 March 2015

Facility of pool.

No tea/coffee facilities in room.

Facility of pool. Large bed. Size of room.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2015

Big room

Poor desk service No facilities to make tea or coffee in the room while paying 700euro for four nights.Totally overpriced

Big room

There are also 17 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

gogbrazil