Reviews of Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema 5 stars

Avenida Vieira Souto, 460, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22420-002, Brazil

#128 of 407 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Yeah okay. But you can find better.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

I booked this hotel thinking being directly opposite the beach was the best place to be. However in Ipenema so many lovely streets and better accommodation options are a street or two back, closer to bars and restaurants. The main drag along the beach is really unattractive. Having said that, Ipanema is definitely the better choice over Copacobana by a long shot.

Comfortable bed. Concierge always available. Reception staff great - pre booked our tickets to avoid queues.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Dreadful experience with some of the reception staff, long waiting times, unresponsive.

Excellent guest relations manager, who did his very best to get things right

Lovely view with extremely attentive staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Sea view room was stunning and very clean. Staff extremely attentive. Nothing too much trouble. Manuel at reception was outstanding. Location excellent.

Great location, staff were mediocre, facilities were poor & not a 4 star hotel, hotel car overpriced
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

pool & bar all very small, hotel car pick up was dangerous and overpriced, staff not friendly not a warm hotel in anyway

great location, concierge were good, gym okay

Beautiful rooftop views and excellent service and food.
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Beautiful rooftop views and excellent service and food. The oysters were to die for, even the people next to us ordered some because we looked like we were enjoying ourselves so much. The gym with a view was fantastic as well. I also left my phone in an uber and the front desk staff were extremely helpful in helping me contact the driver and retrieve it. Also there was a male concierge with his own desk who tells you what to do and where to eat/drink who has fantastic recommendations.

A nice stay but there is a lot of untapped potential
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

A decent restaurant. It amazes me that the hotel which has the space for a good restaurant chooses not to provide one.

The hotel itself was lovely and well situated. The only thing missing was a decent restaurant as the one on the roof only sold simple dishes and drinks.

My safety box in room was damaged and I have lost 250 euro,...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

My safety box in room was damaged and I have lost 250 euro, managers tell me that it was not possible so no refund no discount and no apologies at checkout.

Staff very helpful especially the guy at concierge desk.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Staff very helpful especially the guy at concierge desk. Breakfast has limited choice .Overall great hotel with all required facilities and helpful staff.

Best customer experience in my life
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

All my best recommendations for Sofitel Ipanema and its staff! My boyfriend and I had booked 4 nights at this lovely hotel, but when my boyfriend unfortunately got sick upon our arrival to Rio, it was not much we took advantage of the hotel and its facilities. But a very beautiful hotel with a very nice pool on the rooftop and right on the Ipanema Beach. Never in my life have I experienced so helpful and kindly a staff than I received when I was all by myself in Rio, and had to deal with the situation with a sick boyfriend in the hospital. Especially Leonel and Vinicius need a special thank you from me / us, they made sure I felt safe and welcome. Thank you! We had a room on the 15th floor with partial sea view, a very nice room with nice bathroom and beach view. The breakfast buffet was really delicious! Nice restaurant on the 2nd floor overlooking the sea. Fresh fruit, freshly baked bread and freshly squeezed juice. Unfortunately, we did not experience beautiful Rio, but we're absolutely sure where to stay next time we come back! Thank you for a fantastic experience after all.

Great location only!
    • Junior Queen Suite with Oceanfront View

The only decent thing about this Sofitel is the location and the view (which you have to pay for by booking an ocean view). Otherwise this Sofitel is by far the worst I have stayed. Food and beverage service is atrocious. I don't understand why you have people serving coffee and/or breakfast items when you have to wait a significant amount of time for either to arrive e.g. coffee excess 30 mins and an omelette over 45 mins which was wrong anyhow and eggs Benedict requested without pork which they removed the bacon item but left the ham). One woman (wears hearing aids if hotel wishes to identify the staff member) cleans tables by brushing the crumbs onto the floor and any left cutlery of someone who sat in the seat was not replaced with new. I would have been extremely upset if I had to pay R$88 per person like some do, although no doubt a proportion of cost was factored into my room price. The service by the pool was just as bad. Ordered two Caiparinha's and after 30 mins enquired with manager who said they were made but not delivered. They had to make new ones as the ice had melted in the undelivered lot, again had to wait 20 or so minutes for those. You are better on the beach being served by the people running a barraca, who offered significantly better service and quality for half the price. And to the housekeeping - we are staying during Carnaval probably one of the busiest periods yet only two working lifts. One which had the floor indicator missing, which in a crowded lift is difficult to know which floor was yours. Rooms only adequately cleaned and bed sheets changed for ones with holes in them. Also hammering going on in one of the rooms under us at 9am in the morning, which is not what you need when Carnaval at Sambadrome goes until early morning and you want to have some sleep. Additionally if facing the ocean windows are thin so you can hear everything.

Nice staff
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

In need of renovation! The pool area is terrible. Extremly small and old.

Nice staff Good beach with sun chairs. Good drinks on the roof top Good gym Decent food

Great location but Hotel not worth the price
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Hotel standards have slipped in the last 2 years, room was in need of refurbishment and not clean. Stay was fine but somewhat ruined at the end by the hotel desk staff pretending that my credit card was automatically paying my bill in sterling (converted at their own unfavourable rate) this I calculated would cost me an extra £45 - eventually upon my insistence I was allowed to be charged in Brazilian Real, it took a good 20+ minutes to get there... Always check your bill!

Great location, wonderful view, most of the staff were nice

Extremely overrated. I will never stay at another Sofitel property again
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

They made us wait about an hour for check in and the room they gave us was unacceptable. I can’t believe they would place guests in a substandard room. Many but not all of the front desk staff were very rude. Housekeeping would place our old dirty glasses back by the bar instead of bringing us new ones. Just a horrible experience

The location was amazing.

Wonderful location and views but NO HOT WATER in shower and terrible dinner food were disappointing
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

I didn't like that there was no hot water in the shower for the whole time I was there and that the staff did not seem to care. I also didn't like that the lounge restaurant food was so terrible.

I loved the breakfast buffet: very good juices and so nice to have hot coffee and hot milk served. And the fruit was delicious. I also loved the view of the beach from my room: outstanding!

Best hotel in Rio except during family holidays...
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Many snobs with shouting kids by a very small pool. I understand they plan to renovate in 2018 all the rooms and bathrooms and some definitely need it, like the last I got.. maybe because this time I booked via booking.com....

Great SOFITEL hotel on a prime location with beautiful decoration of the common parts and the front view rooms. Great Gym, roof terrasse with amazing views and good restaurant.

Location, lobby and shared spaces were great.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

For a Sofitel and the money paid the rooms, especially the bathrooms and furniture were not up to par.

Location, lobby and shared spaces were great. Staff was also wonderful.

A most enjoyable brief stay in an incredible location.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Exceptional location and views of Ipanema. Incredible beach just across the street with great beach service. The large room and the very comfortable bed. Hotel staff is truly first class!

Great location to explore Rio from.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The property was undergoing an external refurb so not the most attractive. Bathrooms definitely need an update, as ours looked as though it hadn't been changed since the 70's.

Great location, good for sunset views over Ipanema beach. Attentive and helpful staff. Clean and comfortable rooms.

Don’t leave valuables in your room!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Dishonesty of the staff - my wedding ring was stolen from the hotel room. Lack of professionalism and customer care by the hotel management in their response to the theft

Location, gym

Perfect hotel with a perfect location
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

As we are Sofitel fans this hotel lived up to our expectations and we cant mention one thing that we didn't like.

The hotel was perfect being opposite Ipanema Beach in a very safe neighbourhood with a wonderful roof top pool and restaurant and outstanding beach and mountain views. Our room faced the beach and we experienced great sunsets.

The staff were impeccable.

Nothing wasn't perfect.

The staff were impeccable. Incredibly good approach to customer management. I was treated so well. Pool has great views and good service, lovely cocktails Beds were amazingly comfortable I arrived super early in the morning and they gave me access to my room earlier than I had planned which was wonderful. Location right on ipanema beach and sun beds, towels and umbrellas provided The beach staff were even kind enough to keep hold of my belongings when I went for a swim

Very well located, the entire staff is very helpful and...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Very well located, the entire staff is very helpful and polite, a nice swimming pool at the rooftop with an amazing view, and the breakfast had a great variety of food.

Amazing location, Friendly staff and affordable cost
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

they used to give us 2 bottles of water a day only :( No flowers or any nice gesture for our honeymoon

Manuel and the guys at the reception made our stay feel like home. They were extremely helpful and friendly throughout our stay. Estephanie the concierge was super useful and correct in all her advices. She guides us throughout our stay to all tours even outside Rio all of the staff always had the most amazing smile on.

Excellent location and staff
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Nothing was done or offered to us as honeymooners! not even the nice towels on the bed. The hotel is stingy as they were counting to only give us 2 complimentary water bottles and were charging per Nespresso capsules in the room so not even offering coffee facility in the room.

Location and Staff of the hotel were the highlight and made our stay. The guys at the reception and the concierge Estephanie were AMAAAZING. They helped us in every way possible! they even upgraded our room to a better view. Ocean view from the room excellent and the cafe latte is the best in the hotel.

Fantastic location, service, comfort , 5 star!
    • Junior Queen Suite with Oceanfront View

Fantastic location, service, comfort , 5 star! I have stayed at the best in Rio, including Copacabana Palace and the Fasano, decor may not be as plush but by all other standards Sofitel Ceasar Park was the best.Be back soon.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Pricy but good
    • Superior Twin Room with City View

Food price ir terrible Chair is too low for the height of desk making it very uncomfortable to work in the room

Location is perfect Gym is very decent

Friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Needs renovation (broken door handle, bathroom with very old fixtures, damaged furniture) and definitely not sound proof.

Friendly staff. Great location. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Good hotel, worth its price
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The lavatory sink was obstructed so if you opened the tap it filed up immediately. That was not good. Beach: we went to the beach on our first day, cloudy and drizzly and nobody told us that the hotel had parasols and deck chairs (they were not on the beach) so we rented those offered by the beach shops. Then we saw the green parasols!! late in the afternoon. They should tell you this when you check in to avoid paying for something that is already included in your bill. And, as usual, in my posts, I am coeliac, gluten intolerant and, as usual, there is never a cracker, loaf, or GF granola available. Remember that 1% of the population is Coeliac and we do need to eat. I carry my own crackers with me, but I'd like to see them at a 5 star hotel.

A 5 star hotel has all you need, comfortable bed, good selection of TV chanels, breakfast and attentive staff.

I would go back. This hotel was perfect!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The only slightly less than excellent thing was the breakfast selection. I would rate breakfast 7/10

Staff were super helpful. Everything very comfortable and clean.

It is a very nice hotel in the heart of Ipanema!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The service is not excellent.

It is a very nice hotel in the heart of Ipanema! I super recommend it!!! The bar in the rooftop with the city's view was amazing!!!! The room is big and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Always pleased to return!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The only problem was that I could not charge any of my devices in the room where I stayed (maybe a not updated room) because the electricity boxes were all local and even my travel plug didn't fit in.

Sempre adoro César Park, e um oase na cidade.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

In average it's good stay
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The telephone inside the room it's not good and the swimming pool it's very small and not follow the nice hotel like Caesar hotel. For example I stayed before in fosana hotel the swimming pool was wonderful.

Freindly staff and breakfast was excellent. Location it's good

Everything was pretty great here, but obviously for the...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The upstairs bar and swimming pool is lovely, but the pool was a little small. We were a little disappointed with the quality of the food at the bar. You can definitely get better food on the streets of Rio.

Everything was pretty great here, but obviously for the price its expected. Staff were wonderful, room was beautiful and spotless, breakfast buffet was really tasty and generally had a wonderful time staying here. The view over Ipanema beach is breathtaking.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

One of the most hospitable hotel staff I ever met.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

We stayed for 4 nights and we found the exact same menu for breakfast all the four mornings. The options were bit too limited for the breakfast too. The restaurant do not offer much verity of cuisines and its better to have an idea of dining options elsewhere if you plan to stay there for longer than couple of nights.

The staff!!! They were excellent. Particularly the Concerge desk was the best i have ever met. They made our Rio travel lot easier by being so helpful. The entire staff of the hotel was polite and helpful. Obviously the location of the hotel is one of the best in Rio too.

Excellent service and great location
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Would have liked tea and coffee facilities in the room and some English / American TV channels

Superb location. Friendly and attentive staff especially concierge Juan Carlos who guided us on lots of questions

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

4/10
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Free wifi is not very strong, swimming pool is 90cm deep, room is quite old and there are no English TV channels.

Hotel people, location and sight are nice

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Great location, average hotel
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

The lifts were overloaded and one wasn't working, leading to 15 minute wait to get to breakfast etc. The Queen suite is only marginally larger than a normal room. Not worth it!

The breakfast is great. The view from the seaview rooms is outstanding.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Too expensive for what you get
    • Classic Queen Room

Very noisy air conditioner effecting my sleep Bathroom very small with very low hand basin and difficult to shave Water takes very long period to get hot Dirty cushions in room but they changed them This hotel is not 4 star if rated professionally today it should be downgraded to 4 and expensive for what you get. Also the poorest breakfasts we had at any hotel in Brazil

Position very good Reception staff very helpful and professional

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Fantastic room with outstanding view, upgraded from our...
    • Junior Queen Suite with Oceanfront View

Better soundproofing in adjoining walls as very loud neighbours kept us awake all of our 2nd night stay. We could hear their conversation like they were in our room.

Fantastic room with outstanding view, upgraded from our original booking. Staff are lovely and very attentive.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The location is the best in town !
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The bathrooms and the pool area need a retrofit

The location is the best in town ! The staff is very nice an friendly . Confortable rooms

overpriced Hotel,
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Not up to the rate they charge. Way overpriced for what it is.

location? not sure

Design, view

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Rio
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

The location by the beach the roof terrace / bar with stunning views the gym the modern relaxed feel

Not hot water on shower.
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Not hot water on shower...

Great location and friendly staff, the breakfast was great...

Great location and friendly staff, the breakfast was great as well

Needs to be more modern

incredible location

incredible location great security

No coffee machine in the room

No coffee machine in the room

To expensive and should be a 4 star
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The bathroom wasn’t as clean as it could have been.

The staff was amazing however I didn’t think the hotel was value money.

Excellent hotel, location is brilliant and really safe.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Excellent hotel, location is brilliant and really safe. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Sun lounger facilities on the beach a big bonus.

Location and clean.
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Even though the rooms are renovated the building is super old. One room had a leak and another the bathroom had a bit of mold.

Location and clean.

Staff were smiling, gracious, and smiling at every encounter

Staff were smiling, gracious, and smiling at every encounter

Great location and breakfast but not justified by the price

Needs renovated. Badly maintained Very noisy . Doors banging

Location Breakfast Service

Beach

Location in the middle of Ipanema;

Peeling paint on exterior

Location in the middle of Ipanema; their recommendation of the Ginger Tropical Sama show & Zuka restaurant in Leblon

Great stay

Small swimming pool

Nice location and fantastic breakfast

Traveler

Nice staff

Good service

Great location with comfort.

Bathroom. Kind of old.

Location and the breakfast

I enjoyed it bc the location and service was good. room. Ehhh
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Rooms need upgrades. Big time.

Staff. Location.

You can't open windows

We had a pleasant stay at the Sofitel

No balcony in room.

Room service, old bathroom

The pool on the rooftop is too small and more for cooling...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The pool on the rooftop is too small and more for cooling off than swimming. However the hotel and location is great

Position of Hotel and staff
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

The cost of 2 days booking direct with Hotel was very expensive and they put us in a very poor room

Position of Hotel and staff

Nice rooms, great air conditioning.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Nice rooms, great air conditioning.

Clean hotel and great lication.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Partial Sea View

Bottled water should be made available for free.

Clean hotel and great lication.

Location, staff & concierge
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Partial Sea View

You can not open the window

Location, staff & concierge

Overall very nice. Great staff, comfortable hotel... I would stay again

Windows don't open

Rooftop, gym, view and comfortable bed

Bathroom

Great stay to enjoy Rio
    • Superior Queen Room with City View

Great location, got a sea front room on the top floor, beautiful. The staff is great and very helpful.

Great location , friendly