Reviews of Oceano Copacabana Hotel 3 stars

Rua Hilário de Gouveia, 17, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22040-020, Brazil

#389 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

Cheap but not for Americans nor Europeans. this is a Local Standard
    • Standard Single Room

I hate and absolutly hate that there are no lights on the floors. The light has a motion detector and turn on when people exit the elevator. When I exit my room I have to walk in pitch dark towards the elevator to activate the light. Horrible and not safe at all. walking out your room and not seeing anything. I hate the hotel not offering late checkout even though its on the website . You have to pay an extra night in order to have a later check out. Not worth the money

I did like the Location, but that was about it .

Not the value for money I expected

Quite aged: for the price I really do expect good quality towels, quiet A/C, more extensive breakfast selection.

Fantastic location just a minute from Copacabana beach

Roof too terrace was beautiful and reception staff where...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The area has a lot of homeless people around, and when I asked the reception staff to confirm my flight cause I couldn’t confirm it online they said they can’t do it which I have never encountered on my travels. The bed was very old and mattress worn out, big dip in the middle and pillows very old and lumpy, not a comfortable sleep

Roof too terrace was beautiful and reception staff where very helpful

Some staff members at the reception were polite.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything... not well served.. the room is well over date... the sheets are horrifying... do not recommend any one to go there for the price they are asking.

Some staff members at the reception were polite... not all.

The place was cheap and that's what you get. Everything is out of date. A lot of stuff doesn't work.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The toilet was broken on the first room we went into. Literally when you flushed the toilet, water came out the back and spilled on the floor. Additionally, the toilet wasn't set correctly either, so it wobbled. We got moved into another room where the hairdryer didn't work. Both the jacuzzi AND the pool were dirty. This was during Carnival, the time you would expect the hotel is at its highest standards. The staff was completely indifferent and seemed to barely care about our problems. Oceano Copacabana does definitely not meet the standards of a 3-star hotel. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, there are plenty of other much better hotels in the area.

I was able to cancel my remaining reservation. The place was horrible.

The only good thing is the location. All the rest is a huge no no no!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Do not waste your money there!

Extremely poor breakfast, very low quality of food facilities and service. They did not change the bed sheets for 4 days.

Absolutely Terrible - Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else!
    • Deluxe Single Room

The staff were rude and deliberately unhelpful. I have never had such poor service or inflexibility offered from a hotel. No amount of money could make me consider ever staying here again. Disgraceful

All in all at AUD$150 a night I am certain there are better hotels to be had in Copacabana
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the room we got (901) was dark, dull and dated. some of the lights didn't work, the shower wasn't in anyway adjustable and you had a choice of no water or extremely high pressured to the point of hurting. you had to pay extra Money to use the safe in your room (this was not advertised in advance) the air con unit is old and had to be manually controlled, which meant if the room got too cold at night you had to get out of bed turn on a light and manually adjust the settings on the unit. the towels in the bathrooms were very thin as if they had been worn out. the staff were helpful but it depended on who you spoke to. we sent an e-mail (in English) enquiring if there was any celebrations happening in the hotel for Reveillon and got a reply in Portuguese, which neither myself or my partner speak. I Understand English is not a first language but in this day and age I would expect a hotel catering to foreign tourists to have English speaking staff on hand. Check out requires a staff member to physically check your room (I assume this is for damages etc?) which can add up to 20 minutes to your check out. we were advised at check in to come down 15 minutes before check out time as it gets busy but we were not expecting inspections needed to be carried out before they would let you leave. this put time strain on our departure as we had booked a cab that then had to sit outside and wait while the hotel performed their checks.

the proximity to the beach was excellent breakfast was adequate Good selection of TV channels

convenient
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1) I could not change $ when I wanted & needed to. 2) Sometimes the elevator did not work. 3) breakfast did not have bacon, 4) the bar on the roof needs more drink options (different beers & mixed drinks) & chairs.

positive & happy staff

I asked a front desk guy about hang gliding, but he...
    • Standard Single Room

I asked a front desk guy about hang gliding, but he completely ignored me. I asked another front desk guy about it, and he helped me book one for the next day. I paid by cash at the moment. However, on the day of the activity, the wind was too strong so the instructor of hang gliding called the hotel and let me know that they had to cancel it and I could get refunded. When I asked the front desk who completely ignored me before because he was the only guy who was working at the moment, but he used my hang gliding money and refunded me with less money than I paid. When I asked him for full refund, he did refund all of my money but he looked mad. I didn't get to try hang gliding, so I was expecting that he would just refund the money I paid without any trouble, but the fact that he tried to take some of my money at first made me mad.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The staff was very kind and helpful.
    • Standard Single Room

The room facilities are quite worn, the bed is not very comfortable. A breakfast room is rather small and was necessary to wait for vacant place. Except the reception staff no body speaks English, so if anyone dnes not speak Portuguese, it is difficult to communicate.

The staff was very kind and helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Location, comfort of bed.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service not available after midnight (they don't even serve bottles of water in the room after that time). No parking lot (not even a recommendation, they recommend you to stop at the street). Breakfast ends at 10 a.m, a lot earlier than usual, specially at olympics games season.

Location, comfort of bed.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Good for the price, but don't expect quality
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1. Rooms need to be cleaner. 2. The Hot Tub is never hot, just ambient temp. A health hazard. 3. No freshly prepared eggs with breakfast. 4. Towels were old and very thin. 5. Soap quality was very poor. 6. The room cleaning service had to be reminded to replace items, or to come, at all. 7. Couldn't drink the water from the sink and hotel charged for water. Usually supplied free in such circumstances.

1.The location was great. 2. Most of the staff friendly, some grumpy. 3. The shower was excellent. 4. The price was very reasonable.

Localization

Security

Localization

cleanliness

cleanliness

Good and worth the money
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The beddings seemed very dusty, its as if it was not used for a long time. They can improve by fresh smelling sheets.

Very near copacabana beach.

Very nice and courteous staff

desired bedroom was not available

Very nice and courteous staff

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Staff very friendly and helpful.
    • Deluxe Single Room

WIFI was terrible, and Breakfast can be improved

Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms fairly comfortable, and clean

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

perfect location

to pay in advance at 22:00 after 16 hours trip

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Sneery front desk
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Surly arrogant female staff on the front desk

Close to the beach

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

The staff were very helpful especially the ones on the...

The staff were very helpful especially the ones on the evening shift. The location couldn't be more perfect! I am going to stay there every time I go to Rio!

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

location ,some of the staff

breakfast chaotic with a coffee machine that didnt work properly ,not enough variety of food,pool dirty ,jacuzzi out of service,no tea making facility in room

location ,some of the staff

• Reviewed: 13 February 2016

Staff very helpful and also spoke English and Spanish.

Pool on roof needed chlorine.... Quite dirty. Breakfast was the same every day. After a week it got very average. Minimal hot dish variety. The tour we were on cost us $330 r Brazil when booked through reception but other people on tour who booked through their hotel only paid $300r Brazil.

Staff very helpful and also spoke English and Spanish. Location is excellent. Shower pressure is excellent. Rooms clean and good air con.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2016

Jefferson the porter and Santiago from Reception were...

Wouldn't stay again as value for money was poor. Pool was dirty and room rules strict, like you can't wash clothes and hang in room? Didn't accommodate my dairy intolerance at breakfast and wanted to charge extra to make the eggs hard as they were runny.

Jefferson the porter and Santiago from Reception were extremely helpful and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2016

If you want to stay in Copacabana Beach, the hotel has a...

The sleeping rooms are horrible. I had been 10 years ago to this hotel. They still use the same bed sheets and bed covers literally. Air conditioning unit was missing parts and was not operable in middle of a summer in Rio de Janeiro. Walls, curtains, bathroom were not clean at all. It is completely disappointing that the management/owners of this hotel thinks that a human being can live on such a filthy room. Night management and front desk attendant were literally cruel people.

If you want to stay in Copacabana Beach, the hotel has a great location! Room cleaning ladies, personnel at the breakfast area and some of the front desk personnel in the day shift were good and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

Excellent location.

I was given a single bed instead of queen bed. Kept falling down during my sleep. Thank God they changed my room the next day and I got a queen bed. Pillow case torn no attempt to change it all week and no change of sheets. Staff very stoic no smiles and no helpfulness. When I asked them to clean my room it took 4 hours and they were giving me excuses that they can not do it whenever but they clean from 9-5. When I began screaming that I waited 4 hours and I needed to go and take a nap they finally did and that was after three phone calls and reminders. Breakfast items were continuously running out and the staff were not on top of everything. Only the person who was taking the room numbers will greet you with the smile. I used to visit this hotel every year and have not been back for at least 7 years and I felt in terms of the staff and the facility that they are taking a down turn. Need of training for the staff and up keeping the hotel.

Excellent location. I had a late flight and I was ready to check out but the receptionist reminded me that I paid for an extra day and I could stay in the room. I wished both him and the rest of the staff were kind and greeted me with the smile from the beginning of my arrival not only when I was leaving.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

No very much, it was near the beach and some good Bars.

It is old and tired, worn rug's, knackered aircon, basically it should be knocked down and rebuilt.

No very much, it was near the beach and some good Bars.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

Compared to the Hotel Argentina which has the same amount of...

Compared to the Hotel Argentina which has the same amount of stars the Hotel more dirty, the breakfast was not as good. The rooms where mit as nice furnished. The english of the staff was ok. I asked them for Transporation to the airport they told me it is 90real the next day I paided 120real. I am unsure if it was a miscommunication or just making money.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

It is very near the Copa Beach and the shops, bars and...

The Hotel is quite old and in need of a major update, Lift doors that nearly take your arm off, air-conditioning that just blows air around, a pool which I can nearly touch both ends of at the same time, sun area with foam covered loungers with exploding seams, breakfast is adequate but extremely repetitive !!!

It is very near the Copa Beach and the shops, bars and restaurants are good.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2015

The location is great.

Seems like no one is happy to work there. I lie- one guy saved tho whole experience because he was over friendly and had a smile that made the rest of the treatment we had been receiving while there easier to swallow. We checked out 2 days earlier when we checked under the bed though. There was literally 2 inches deep in dust and since my husband had been having respiratory issues we chalked it up to that and got the heck out. Guests that are not staying at the hotel can not come up to the rooms/pool with you. There is like a r$ 350 charge if you let someone up that's not staying at the hotel. That didn't sit well with us but we understand why, for a few reasons.

The location is great. That's pretty much it. Oh and when u go get lunch or dinner, go to the restaurant with the yellow canopy located at the back corner of the street the hotel is on (the corner away from the beach) it's 2 doors away from the hotel. The food is amazing, better priced than the other places in that area and the staff is friendly(er). I read some previous reviews talking about the sheets so I brought my own sheet +2 pillow cases- glad I did.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2015

The location was the only good thing about this hotel!

We arrived from Ireland, very tired after travelling for 19hours to be greeted by a very grumpy rude man working at the reception desk. Once we got our key we went straight to our room to see it had not been cleaned since the previous guests checked out, to our shock there was used condoms on the floor. We got moved to a different room and told we could have free WiFi for the rest of our trip as the hotels way of saying sorry. Breakfast was terrible, they ran out of butter, milk and bread and everything else on offer was terrible. On check out we were then handed our WiFi bill, explained what had happened and that the manager told us it was free but this turned into a 30minute argument with the grumpy man at reception, all was sorted so we asked him to call us a taxi for the airport,he refused and said we must get 1 ourselves on the street. Overall the staff were terrible, rude and unhelpful. I would never stay here again. Totally awful hotel.

The location was the only good thing about this hotel!

• Reviewed: 8 July 2015

The staff was AMAZING.

The décor in our room was dated, the net curtain had not been washed in a long time.

The staff was AMAZING. Friendly, capable, attentive and professional. FABULOUS location. GREAT breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2015

the only good thing is the location near the beach

Very dark hallways. Lights only turns on if you are in a certain spot near the motion detectors. Room that is unclean and very run down. Very poor beds and Bed cover has to be used as blanket. Cleaning staff don't refill towels but only take away used ones. Shower head hold together with tape. Cobwebs in the closet. Very noisy and unclean a/c unit. Not possible to lock the balcony door. One afternoon the entire hotel lost all water supply due to a burned wire to the generated that powered the pumps. Staff told it would take a few hours to fix, but after 11 hours only cold water had returned. Additional 4 hours before hot water was supplied.

the only good thing is the location near the beach

• Reviewed: 7 April 2015

The location is excellent with access to the beach, the...

The booking was cancelled but fortunately a room was available. There was a charge to use the safe in the room. However, the safe didn't work and we had to change rooms. There was a charge for the internet. The internet was off line for part of the stay. There was a limit on the number of beach towels. The attendant was very unpleasant in explaining the policy.

The location is excellent with access to the beach, the subway and nice shopping. The breakfast was also nice. Most of the front desk staff was courteous and helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

The location was great and staff were helpful

There was only one sheet on the bed which left you to sleep with a polyester top cover. Not great as I am sure these are not washed regularly and only used as a topper for decoration.

The location was great and staff were helpful

• Reviewed: 30 January 2015

The location is nice.

Horrible rooms, old hotel, unfriendly stuff, probably the worst breakfast ever, its all old, dirty and smells soooo bad. Never in my life I would go back. I think sleeping under a bridge would be more comfortable and cleaner.

The location is nice. But this horrible place is absolutely not to recommend

• Reviewed: 23 January 2015

The location at Copacabana.

Beds were taken from the dump. Miserable breakfast with mostly sweetened bread and no alternatives for gluten allergics. The staff that left out the pool towels scolded at us and ripped apart the hotel passport since the reception changed the room number incorrectly. When we checked in we had to pay in advance and we only got the credit card receipt. When we checked out, we received no official bill even though we requested one and waited over an hour for it to be finished. Their motivation was the need of a Brazilian identity card to get an official note. On other hotels in Rio de Janeiro it was no problem to get an official note. The Oceano Copacabana Hotel violates Brazilian legislation. The customer has the right to get an official note if they request one.

The location at Copacabana.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2015

We stayed 8 nights at another 4 star hotel with two weeks...

Paid wifi.

We stayed 8 nights at another 4 star hotel with two weeks before and was much worse than Oceano which has 3 stars and there we payed 1000 €. Good view from the pool, tasty breakfast included, located on the Copacabana beach, very friendly staff, they provide umbrella for the beach for free. After check out we came from the beach because was raining and we had sand everywhere. They let us go upstairs at the pool, we took a shower, the bartender offered us towels and after we opened, re-packed our luggage, being very noisy, in the lobby. The staff at the reception were totally cool.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2015

it is located just off Copacabana beach.

staff at the reception spoke english....but thats about it. The rest of staff spoke no english, communicating with them was literally impossible! It is really annoying when a waiter is trying to clean your table while you still eating breakfast. Breakfast was veeery basic, eggs often cold, one sort of sugary cereal. Water for tea often luke warm... Rooms ok just to sleep but if you are looking for a cosy room, this is not what you need. Pool very small, jacuzzi with smelly water...

it is located just off Copacabana beach. This is a big plus if you want to leave all your belongings in tge hotel while on the beach (you really should!) And be able to just cross the road to get what you need.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

Breakfast ckeanes air conditioning

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

dirty, not friendly, old and worn, non flexible mangement.

dirty, not friendly, old and worn, non flexible mangement...

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

Location is only thing going for hotel

Bathroom especially dirty

Location is only thing going for hotel

• Reviewed: 19 May 2015

• Reviewed: 14 April 2015

Close to beach

Lack of bar and facilities limited

Close to beach

• Reviewed: 9 March 2015

Very slow staff.

Very slow staff. Not to friendly or helpfull. Little willingness to assist with problems or questions.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2015

Perfect personal, good view, breakfast and drinks without...

Perfect personal, good view, breakfast and drinks without problems

There are also 13 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Oceano Copacabana Hotel traveller photo gallery