Reviews of Olinda Rio Hotel 4 stars

Avenida Atlântica, 2230, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22041-001, Brazil

#196 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

Good stay

-breakfast is just ok, limited choices -without fitness room -without swimming pool -A dated hotel but well maintained

-Staffs are very friendly, speak English well, and help us a lot -Beddings are Very clean ! -Spacious room -Fabulous beach view

Great staff, very kind, friendly and nice.
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

The main issue was the housekeeping service. Despite the fact that the lady was extremely kind and nice, I reckon that she might have had a poor training about cleaning... What has most made me upset was that during my last day at the hotel, I was inside the room and suddenly the door was opened by the housekeeper without even knocking first, when she’d been there earlier to clean the room, so she could get inside to put a chair in the room. I think it was highly inappropriate to do that, even though I had no “do not disturb” sign at the door, the right thing to do was knocking on the door before entering.

Great staff, very kind, friendly and nice.

Started out the hotel room was gross and with the upgrade to face the beach my vacation was fantasti
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I got a standard room which Booking.com failed to say it that it faces the back with no view except walls. The room was very dated and the bathroom was gross, mold on the base, plastic curtain and not cleaned well at all. It felt more like a hostel. Also there was a strong cleaning fluid smell. My short vacation was made better because the staff was able to upgrade me. I am so glad.

The staff were super nice and helpful with everything. I got a standard room which Booking.com failed to say that it is the back and there is no view. It looked/felt dirty and the bathroom was so old, the ceiling was spotty and the shower rim had mold. I was on the 8th floor and there was a very strong smell of cleaning fluid. When I spoke to the staff, they were nice to upgrade me to a deluxe room which faced the ocean and totally upgraded.

Hotel is great,great location, excellent Service, We were upgraded to Sea View Suite on arrival
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There is not much to dislike really, maybe if they can provide coffee facilities in the rooms.

The Facilities were great, property is right there at the Copacabana beach, nice view, staff service was excellent, great Wifi , very Safe, great check in & check out, great breakfast, friendly Staff

So happy to have found this hotel on Booking.com! Definitely reserve a sea view room above 5th floor
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

Would have enjoyed a coffee/tea maker in the room

Location is perfect! Breakfast included and wonderful. Sea view room was spacious and had amazing view of Copacabana beach! Service was exceptional!

Bed very comfortable.

just missing a pool

Bed very comfortable. The friendly gentleman on reception informed me that my room had been upgraded to an ocean view room on arrival, which was a nice surprise. Staff we're very friendly. The hotel could do with a tidying up in places. Ordered room service, food was good. Missed the breakfast however pics looked good. Would stay again.

A good value for the money with a top notch staff in an elegant hotel.

Low flow toilets

A hotel with a alot of class that was built for the original 1950 Olympic Games in Rio. The rooms have character but yet are modernized with usb outlets and a decent sized TV. Water pressure was great. The lobby of the hotel is all marbel and really put you back in time when they built hotels to last and with top quality materials.

Good location staff very friendly
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

When my wife and i visited last year, the breakfast had a lot of variety, and tasted much better. Yet this Year, the food quality went down and there was little variety.

Overall good, but check the details
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no terrace at the top, even if there were pictures on booking.com. I was connected to the WiFi, but with no internet connection.

Good breakfast. The position is great, just in front of the beach.

Location, location, location.
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

We had to wait a long time until our room was ready.

Location, location, location. Welcoming staff (they made a mistake about our tour but tried to make up for it), English spoken, always tried to help with luggage, taxis, etc. Great interior of the hall.

fantastic!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the facilties are a bit rundown, the air-conditioning in some rooms is too loud, the water taps and toilets are leaking, the breakfast buffet lacks ketchup or similar, but these are all minor things

location is superb, the staff is super-friendly and accommodating

Recommend!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower was terrible. Zero water pressure and there was holes in the ceiling.

The staff is highly prepared to attend the customers: kind, polite, welcoming, and also speaking several languages. They offered great quality tours. The breakfast served in the hotel was brilliant.

Extremely welcoming and helpful staff
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

As with most of Brazil few people speak English and for tourists with no level of Portuguse communication was not easy however this was our problem. The television in the room could have offered the odd entertainment channel in languages other than Portuguese but this possibly does not exist

The hotel is a great location on Copacabana beach with excellent views. The room was spotless The hotel staff particularly Ivan the receptionist and the porter were of great assistance with tours and questions of personal security

I didn't like staying in my room but am glad that it's close to the beach and has a nice restaurant.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

My only complain was that the room was very smelly like urine. They came to clean in response to my complaints and spray some refresher. But after a while, the smell came back. I was originally given a room with broken bathroom but they changed my room because of that.

I like their breakfast, the view from the restaurant, the proximity to the beach and helpful staffs. The price is good too.

The location is excellent and the staff very friendly.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was old and the marble shower floor had dark stains on it. On the second day, at 9:30 I couldn't find any clean table to sit at for breakfast. I had to share a table with two other guests. There were many tables but few employees to clean them. There were not enough electrical outlets in the room, no bed lights, and just one electrical switch for a king size bed.

The location is excellent and the staff very friendly. I liked that the bathroom had a window and a lot of light. This is very unusual at hotels throughout the world. There was also a nice make up mirror over the sink which was very helpful. The room was spacious, clean, refurbished and the bed was comfortable.

Terrible experience
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Stayed there many times, never had an problem until now. Booked 3 nights and paid in full in advance for 2 people, me and my girlfriend. We were supposed to arrive Sunday. I had delays with my flight and did not arrive until 2 days later, I emailed the hotel and they said the room is still reserved, I can arrive any time. I did not check in until an odd hour on Tuesday morning. Since the weekend was over my girlfriend was back to work and did not get to the hotel until after me. So I just went to the room, I did not complain about the 2 days I already paid for and lost, That was not an issue, I understood this. I even wound up paying for an extra day to stay to make up for the time I missed. Later that night we went out to eat, when we got back to the hotel there was a different shift working. I guess they saw us on the camera and called the room, accused me of trying to sneak a prostitute in. We went downstairs, I had the reservation in my hand showing I already paid for the both of us. Then after seeing and talking to my girlfriend who is 43 years old and works as a hairdresser, they realized they made a mistake. After this insult my girlfriend refused to stay there, so we checked out the next day. Million times there never a problem, until they pulled this rude move. Paid for 4 nights, only stayed there 2 nights, I don't care about the money, I will never stay at this place again.

Very pleasant

WIFI

I first visited this hotel 3 years ago. I selected it for 2 reasons: location and they allow late check outs. Then it was free of charge. Now they charged me approximately 40US$. In both cases til 19:00. Very reasonable and convenient. Very good breakfast. Good lighthing in renovated rooms (most hotels in the world have poor lighting), including rheostat control of beside lights (very convenient for a couple).

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Room was spacious and clean.
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

Breakfast was mediocre. Hotel needs to be updated. Not at all like photos on Booking.com. So very disappointed on arrival. Definitely overpriced!!!!

Room was spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Location is great, right on the beach, which is amazing for...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The smell of frying was constant in the room and we tried to arrange another room what was simply annoying and time wasting. After complain a lot they finally found a another room. Some of the staff were very nice and some were not dealing with this situation.

Location is great, right on the beach, which is amazing for walking, close to lots of stores and restaurants and the subway station. Rooms were clean.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Great location terrible wifi
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The wifi was terrible. Basically the second day we did not have any internet connection.

Location of the hotel is great. It's almost on the beach. The staff had a smiling face and helpful. The room was comfortable but the wifi was terrible.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

The staff were extremely helpful and guided me for me one...
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

The staff were extremely helpful and guided me for me one day stay in Rio. I was allowed to check in early and recover from my flight. A lovely location and super breakfast.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

Old, under-maintained and shabby place, in a good location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Facility and rooms are shabby, and long time passed sine these were renovated. I got a room so tiny that the suitcase couldn't be open unless on the bed !!! After begging they were willing to move me to a bit larger room... However, there wasn't any control there for the air-condition, but the on-off switch... This AC was so noisy that I had to sleep with earplugs... Staff was friendly up to the limit of what they are authorized to do... Bottom line - cheap motel !

Good location.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Not very good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms are big but not in good conditions. Wifi didn't work well, the receptionist had to give his own wifi password. You can tell that this hotel is very old. Not a 'boutique' hotel at all.

Breakfast and location.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Wake up to Copacabana's sunrise & beach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel seems a bit outdated. We traveled as a group, and the standard rooms facing the courtyard tend to receive much less light. Also, with the aircon, some rooms have regulated temperatures and others dont (its either on or off). There is a big poverty issue in Brazil and there are SO MANY homeless people camping all along copacabana, right outside the hotels which doesnt give a good impression to the tourist. Brazil overall is an expensive country, the hotel seemed to be average price compared to others.

The hotel offered us an upgrade which was great (and unexpected!) as the room faced the beach- waking up to the sun from Copacabana made it a whole lot better. Location wise from the hotel is great, right across the beach and close to shops, restaurants etc. The daily breakfast, though it doesnt change, it is tasty and covers all basics. Staff is nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Loved the view from the upper floors
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

The room was missing some basic supplies so I had to call the desk to get them. It was night and the supplies weren't replenished until the next morning.

Great view of the beach and wonderful location. No central air but there was a switch to turn on air conditioning. The hotel has character and a good breakfast buffet with lots of fresh fruit.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Very nice hotel for lovers
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is being refurbished, so the paint is unfinished and gives a desolate impression. The original charm of the hotel is bit lost due to recent modifications; for example, airco units were placed in an obvious cheap way and ruin the decor.

Very clean, housekeeping is doing a very good job. WiFi is working well. Breakfast is a buffet with rich choice, the fruits are fresh and highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

6 months ago I've stayed in Olinda and now I came back...

6 months ago I've stayed in Olinda and now I came back with parents. Everything was just PERFECT both times! Rooms, staff, breakfast... Everything! 😊

The location on the copacabana beach proper.
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

Breakfast unimpressive with little variety. Cheap machine cheese. Watered down juices. Even the coccoa and coffee was tasteless low quality

The location on the copacabana beach proper.the staff, particularly Ivan.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Luxury Triple Room with Sea View

Great location. Very friendly and helpful staff - everyone had a smile and was super polite to us. Room was comfortable, and staff was flexible enough to give us a good room given a extension in our stay.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Best location - Most else was poor!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Horrible view from our window of wall! Basically no natural light! Loads of air con and kitchen noise! Building noise as well so no chance of a nap during the day or a lie in in the morning! There was only really a few friendly staff. The bathroom was falling to pieces.

Location could not be better, right in the midlle of Copacabana beach with everything at the doorstep! The shower was powerful.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

The staff is the BEST part of this hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room had a weird smell, but nothing terrible. The shower just has a curtain. But to me, the most frustrating was the view... Unless you pay for the most expensive one you won't see anything.

The staff is the BEST part of this hotel. They are all very friendly and helpful, specially the reception team. Really makes the difference... Checkin and checkout were very good. The breakfast is the best I had in a long time, and with this amazing view to Copacabana. Priceless. And the location is AWESOME. We walked everywhere... Just spend with taxi going to/back from the airport. (40 reais)

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Disappointment
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was really old and seemed dirty and this made us feel uncomfortable. It was over-priced for what we got and we decided to leave as the facilities (especially the bathroom) did not meet our expectations of a four star establishment

The staff members were friendly

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Great location on Copacabana.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Attitude of the staff - surely. Condition of the room - A/C could only be on or off. Bathroom in poor condition Breakfast was not up to the 4 star rating of the hotel

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Great location with very helpful staff!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is very dated and could do with some investment, especially the bathrooms. Needs a lock of paint and a good clean!!

Great location with very helpful staff! Great breakfast!

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

The location is perfect.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Musty old rooms and bathrooms. Breakfast was below average quality. The team and coffee was undrinkable.

The location is perfect. The staff was friendly. The lobby was comfortable,

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Breakfast was good.
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

The doble bed was a pair of single beds with something in the middle very uncomfortable. The offer in the Booking page was in usd and when the Hotel charged for six nights the total amount was in Reales. After all taxes the final amount that was charged to my credit card was usd 50 extra due to the different rate used by Booking in their page and the rate the Hotel used to convert Reales to usd. Neither Booking nor the Olinda Hotel gave a clear response about the difference. I felt cheated.

Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Great location, excellent service
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was lovely, clean, big and spacious with an amazing view of the beach. The staff were very friendly and super helpful. Will definitely stay there again upon my next visit.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Perfectly Located, Clean, Friendly, Great Value for Money... 5☆s
    • Standard Triple Room

I can't thing of one negative comment.

Olinda Rio Hotel is perfectly located along Copacabana Beach. We were greeted with warm friendly sniles by all staff. We even managed to get an upgrade to a sea-view room of Copacabana Beach the following day at no extra cost (obviously depends on availability)...but we gladly accepted :) The room was perfect. Everything in perfectly working order and very clean. Breakfast was amazing - each morning had a huge array of food and beverages, which gIves you the best kick start to your day. Excellent value for money. You couldn't ask for better :)

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Pre-Olympics Renovations a Problem
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The building was under construction.

The building was being gutted and renovated for the Olympics. It was a mess, and every morning, construction noise, dust and paint smell made my room uninhabitable for hours. But the location was excellent, and I suspect in normal times it would be a good place to stay.

Expectacular

Atencion perfecta

Nice hotel and nice breakfast

Water not always warm

Nice hotel and nice breakfast

It was located on the beach front.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

They forgot to service the room one day. But did it very quickly after I called

It was located on the beach front. Great spot. Staff were helpful.

The location is great, very close to the beach, just cross...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not good, poor variety of the food.

The location is great, very close to the beach, just cross the road.

Nice stuff.

Front of the beach

Good breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No swimming pool. No gim center.

Location. Staffs. Breakfast

Room is comfortablr
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

They tried to charge more than was indicated at my reservarion, charging for the VAT which was already included in the price

Room is comfortablr

Very nice staff, clean rooms, spledid stategic location

Very nice staff, clean rooms, spledid stategic location

Kindly Staff

Kindly Staff Location with see view Room confortable

Lovely
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

They need to improve a little bit the cleanliness for the room and bathroom

Excelent breakfast and personnel very helpfull

I definitely recommend this hotel, easy access from / to...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I definitely recommend this hotel, easy access from / to the airport by bus 2018

Thats fair, but you may want more for the money paid. No swimming pool.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

twin beds. cleanliness. no swimming pool.

Location. Attendance, they changed my booked room to one with sea view.

Perfect location , beach, shopping, night and other markets, safe area

Super Location on Copacabana

Great location in copacabana
    • Standard Triple Room

Hotel is a little out of fashion

Staff was very friendly and helpful

good breakfast.
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

good breakfast. i was only missing a way to get fried eggs

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Location is excellent, staff was very helpful and breakfast...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel needs some how a renovarion mainly on the floors and bathroom.

Location is excellent, staff was very helpful and breakfast was superb!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Tdo en general exelete

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Old Hotel don do breakfast
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is duscusting and old fourniture ans Bath N. Fridge make noise at Night

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

So good we booked more days

Nothing it was perfect

Staff breakfast and room famtastic

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Clean rooms, excellent breakfast and just across the road...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean rooms, excellent breakfast and just across the road from one of the best beaches on the planet

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Highly recommended!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

If there was any flaws - amazing staff made us forget about it! Thanks a lot for making our stay so comfortable and home like!

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

The location is great.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Unprepared for being in front of the beach. Breakfast was too basic and low quality for the price of the hotel.

The location is great.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Great location, disapointing breakfast.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was disappointing. Ultra processed food. In mid December the fruit was tasteless!

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Nearly beach.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Amazing
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff, especially front office staff, and the location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Really good hotel on Copacabana
    • Luxury Double Room with Balcony

Fantasic staff. Georgioys view from our room with balcony. Good wi-fi. Good breakfast. Big safe.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Fantastic value for money
    • Luxury Triple Room with Sea View

Bathroom

Breakfast superb

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Location and staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not very clean, no parking

Location and staff

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Amazing staff members, good location

Amazing staff members, good location

In front of the beach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Good location, great views...the team were so friendly and nice.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

Good

No pool

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Don't plan on checking in early, it won't happen!
    • Standard Triple Room

Don't use their "private cab" or private drivers, they are way more expensive and don't know the streets as well!

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great Olympics stay
    • Luxury Double Room with Sea View

floor has some sticky object when we checked in

Helpful staff, great location; good breakfast option

• Reviewed: 22 May 2016

The room we were in wasn't great the bathroom was mouldy and there was a screw, half screwed into the floor to act as a door stop.

Great location. Breakfast was good and the communal areas of the hotel were really clean.

There are also 43 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Olinda Rio Hotel traveller photo gallery