Reviews of Royalty Copacabana Hotel 4 stars

Rua Tonelero, 154, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22030-002, Brazil

#396 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

6.2

5.3

I think there are better hotels that are more flexible for the same amount of money
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I hate the fact that there is no early check in or late check out . Are flights from the US arriving very early sometimes as early as 8 o'clock in every time I come to this hotel I have to book a day before just to guarantee a room to check in . I have tried the front desk several times to honour an earlier check in or a later checkout due to the late departure from Brazil to the United States however there is never a room for negotiation or consideration my current stay also they made me pay an extra night just for the extra 3 hours I spent before my flight . Another thing I would like to mention that is bad at this hotel , the lights on the floors are censored by motion therefore sometimes when you are waiting for the elevator if you don't move the lights go off and it's completely dark it's kind of creepy . In every time you exit from an elevator there is a five to 10 seconds delay before the lights come on so when the elevators close then you stand on your floor in pitch dark

Hotel is okay. Housekeeping ia great. Front desk is okay but could be better.

I love the location , housekeeping is very nice and kind.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I don't like that they not offering half day rate . All US flights leave 9 pm and the hotel make us to pay an extra night for 4 extra hours. I also don't like that they won't honor an early check in even though the hotel Is not sold out. Staff somewhat friendly I am not sure if it's the language barrier but they not as kind as I would expect in Brazil, again it might be the lack of English. No iron and no hangers

I love the location , housekeeping is very nice and kind.

Practically had tobeg to get the room cleaned up,...
    • Double Suite

Practically had tobeg to get the room cleaned up, cleanliness is an issue and also air conditioning unit is extra loud couldn't sleep with all the noise.

Hotel ok for the price. Need reform.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It had spoiled fruit (watermelon) at breakfast. Breakfast was not ready on time for the 1st day. The room was not cleaned very well on the day I asked. Hotel need reform.

Location, price and staff in front desk and employees helping with bags.

Awesome spot, great value!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Great staff and nice view on the rooftop where the pool and sauna are located. We arrived early and they let us leave out bags until we could check-in. Good location, walking distance from Copacabana beach and plenty of things to see around the area.

Well located but dirty
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Really dirty we asked them to change the room because the bed was dirty and the floor. The other one was a little better. The people in the hotel was not that friendly. Air condition was poor.

Location is good and the pool and view from the top. Breakfast is ok

I hated to lost my time in a place like that.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I hated to lost my time in a place like that. The staff was one of the worst person I met in my life. First of all he tried to put my boyfriend and I in a three bed room than I told him that I have had booked something for a couple. He was rude all the time and refused to give our money back. It was a complete hell. The room had cockroaches everywhere, no sea view as we booked and it was smelling people skin. I tagged some pictures to show you guys all the stuff. Check here. The safe was charged to be used and it moved from the wall what means that you everyone could just take the safe out of room easily. Bathroom with mold and smelling. Everything was disgusting and I feel that BOOKING.COM is responsible to put us in that situation.

Great stay great location and great staff!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It rained one day so wasn’t much to do!

Staff were amazing and helpful. Safe was broken in the first one but they moved us straight away and sorted out taxis etc

The stuff was super nice and prompted to help
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wifi almost inexistente in the room...if you need wifi to work or keep in touch with family or friends, don't stay here.

The stuff was super nice and prompted to help

It was very close to the beach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff, they were not any nice with anyone, 0% empathy, the bathroom had drops in the ceil.. it doesn't worth the price we paid. There are better options around.

It was very close to the beach

The hotel was old , and the maintenance in the hotel , was...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel was old , and the maintenance in the hotel , was really poor . Everything has to be renewed, from the bed , until the fitnessroom ; one sauna didn't work,the same for the elevator.

Poor stay!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

1. The iron was "forbidden" and that was not stated in the summary or else I would have gone somewhere else. 2. We had to pay extra 15% which was not clearly stated on the terms either. 3. We had to pay extra for using the second bed in the room even though we booked a double person room. 4. The mattress gave me a back ache. 5. The reception staff was moody and did not make an effort in speaking in English. 6. We caught a cockroach in the room - we have a picture if required. 7. There were bogies in the bathroom handle and wall. 8. The sheets on the bed did not fit the bed. 9. The sheets had multiple stains. 10. The eggs at breakfast had egg shells in them. 11. Wifi did not work. 12. Poor experience.

Not much

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

The front desk wasn't helpful/accommodating.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The front desk wasn't helpful/accommodating. We got a bike rental for a day and the hotel was unwilling to help secure our bikes. They said that they will not allow bikes at the hotel and they do not have storage. The front desk didn't give us any options or recommendations but basically told us that it was our problem to figure where to store the bikes.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Horrible the worst beginning of my travel !
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I got there I Lufthansa lost my luggage . I asked them to have a room a little in advance to rest and to organize my day to search something to dress and it clean myself. I got there early in the morning and through your system I told them my esteemed hours of arrival. Instead of helping me , I had to wait in the lobby seven hours to have the room , while the other guests were able to check in. At the desk a very nasty and unpolite girl named Anna. Never again there, please clear that hotel from your list. Doctor Pier Giovanni Paoli 17 Via Barbacane Florence Italy

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Too expensive for the service and facilities, hotel careless and dirty. Never get back.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It is an oldest hotel, breakfast is poor and the same thing everyday, fruits with seeds (awful), bad coffee. We paid for a plate broken in the cafeteria. Staff is not helpful with directions or didn't know about main attractions and how to get there. Facilities are dirty and careless all the time, the pillow was too flat and cause pain in the next morning. I would never get back either recommend

Location was good, too close to the Copacabana Beach.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Never even think of staying here.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The check in was not very comfortable. I had asked for a double room and the primary reason was that I needed a big double bed. I was given a twin bed room. I asked for a change, but nobody bothered to get back to me to tell me that there was no way I was getting a double bed room. The door of the room (901) required an extra push to close it. The elevator was rickety and seemed dangerous. The Wi-Fi was hit and miss. And totally stopped once I checked out, while I was still in the lobby. I asked for the password and was told that I could not have it as I had checked out. The room was not made in two days, there were no toiletries. A shampoo bottle was there which was 1/5th filled. I complained about it and it was refilled to about 1/4th. There were extra charges R$5 per day for the in - room safe. They have the audacity to display 5 stars at their door. Unbelievable. The bell boy Raphael was the only person I treat liked as he was considerate and helpful. Probably the worst stay of my life.

The only good point is its location which is close to the beach. The breakfast was also unexpectedly OK.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Room was spacious enoug and with balcony, breakfast was very...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Can't say nothing bad about cleanliness of the room, but we arrived at correct time for to check in, but room was not ready. We waited one hour for to get in our room and sure personel didn't offer any discount or bonus for that.

Room was spacious enoug and with balcony, breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Staff were not very helpful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were not very helpful. I turned up with all my bags and there was no one to help me. I was ignored at the reception even though there was no queue for 5 minutes. I wasn't helped to my room either.

Old air conditioner

Great hotel near to the beach

The breakfast was great!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Mattress condition, A/C down, bathroom water seals and taps no longer work.

Old 3 star with nice view and poor breakfast

All old, poor breakfast

Not a 4 star. Old 3 star with nice view

Terrible.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was dirty especially sheets.

no wifii access from the room;
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

no wifii access from the room; bed was horrible size (not as promised)

Everything is outstanding!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Some of the staffs are not helpful and don't speaks english.

Location wise is perfect even if you're solo traveler.

Safe not working. Poor view - brickwall

Good breakfast
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms near the lifts are noisy

Good breakfast

Great value for price
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The fitness equipment was very outdated and rusty

There were great views and the pool was very well mantained

Close to the beach
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staffs wasn't helpful and we got two or three bugs on the room I do not recommend this hotel!

Close to the beach

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Comfy, spacious hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning was a little bit noisy!

Loved the location, and great views from the rooftop. Comfy room and spacious bathroom with fantastic shower.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Next time wont be there
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A one wek stay and they didnt change the sheets even once. Not a serios cleaning

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Good value! Friendly staff!

Internet was super slow

Helpful staff, nice breakfast, beach location.

• Reviewed: 19 April 2016

Breakfast, all right.

Maintenance non-existent: wardrobe door falling apart or struck, A/C noisy... Very few of the staff could speak English

Breakfast, all right. Staff, generally kind and helpfuk

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

That it was close to the beach.

No internet, TV didn't work the hole time we where there told staff several times about it nothing happen. Toilet didn't work well. same thing for breafast everyday.

That it was close to the beach.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

The location was pretty good, only a short walk from the...

Hotel was more like an upgraded version of a Youth Hostel, lots of shouting and screaming in the corridors the first night. Possibly because there were a few groups of young people staying the first couple of night, it did quiet down later. View from my room was a brick wall and the patio doors did not close properly, it didn't really bother me as I managed to wedge it closed and I didn't bother going to ask for a different room, which may have resulted in my being changed. Service was a bit hit and miss, mostly the staff were pleasant however, you sometimes felt you were "being a nuisance".

The location was pretty good, only a short walk from the beach which is clean and has a lifeguard. However, not much to do in the locality during the evenings. Very near good, local transport links to get to the usual 'highlights; of Rio - Cristo de Redemptor, Sugar Loaf mountain, Ipanaema etc......

• Reviewed: 29 February 2016

Some of the staff not all of them.

-front desk poor -room bed uncomfortable(sheets smelled like they were there forever), AC old smelled seemed never changed the filter,tv had static stopped a lot, Problems with the hot water had to take a shower with cold water took them all day to fix, happened twice!!! -wifi on the booking.com said was free, they wanted to charge $15 reals a day. -breakfast same thing everyday poor quality, at good staff on that area. -had to request for toilet paper (never seen this in my life)

Some of the staff not all of them. -pool was good

• Reviewed: 27 February 2016

Leaving the hotel.

What was there to like? Bad wifi extra pay forcwifi breakfast poor. Pool sloppy staff so so stayed in many rio hotels and never complained but this was horror. Have pics to show the state of matresses dirty !! Whatever. Love rio but skip this hotel

Leaving the hotel. Worst ever. Sorry to say

• Reviewed: 23 February 2016

The doorman who helped with my bag and to get a taxi on the...

My room was dark and not very clean. The air conditioner didn't keep the whole room cool. There were spiderwebs all over the air conditioner. There was no bin in the room. The fridge didn't work and I got an electric shock off the plug. You have to pay for the safe in the room and the wifi. The staff were unfriendly. The breakfast was horrible. All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

The doorman who helped with my bag and to get a taxi on the last day was the only nice person who worked there who I encountered.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2016

Its old hotel and didnt repaire for long time i stay at room...

Its old hotel and didnt repaire for long time i stay at room nr 802 wc its not work and many water come out i told 2time reception its nobody come to repaire Air condition it not cold and bed its very old. Reception its unfriendly I will never go to stay there again I was 2years whit booking.com been many hotel around the world never see like this hotel and first time i come to complain

• Reviewed: 30 January 2016

The free breakfast buffet is so good.

The air conditioner is not enough to cool the room from a hot and humid outside temperature. I think it is old and needs some replacement.

The free breakfast buffet is so good. The pastries, bacon, ham, eggs, cereals, sausages, pizza, cheese, cakes, fresh fruits and fresh blended juices lived up to our expectations so well. We think the breakfast is so special and is very pleasing that any guest would simply forget the old rooms and old showers.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2016

The hotel is negar by the beach.

The hotel is negar by the beach. You should get in and get out late because there is safety place. There you will find a lot of restaurants and pubs around with good prices.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2016

Facilities were really bad and the room was terrible: damaged parts in bathroom, old air conditioning with a extremely loud noise that didn't let me sleep. The cleanliness of the room was bad: I had ants in my bed. And very low professional level as they weren't able to provide the receipt at checkout time. They asked my email address to send it but only send it when I called back as a reminder.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

Roof top pool was ok.

Wifi was an additional charge but did not actually work on the 8th floor. The bathroom was disgustly filthy, i could not wash in there. Also i checked in at 1500 but had to check out at 1200, i had a late flight so i requested late checkout, there were rooms available but they said no, i had to pay for another night. The counter staff were rude, and entire place needs to be renovated, the airconditioner leaked water onto the bedroom floor. It seemed to me chinese management were trying to maximise profit , without spending or fixing anything.

Roof top pool was ok.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2015

price, view of mountain balcony breakfast all nice

not a nice hotel for couples, old hotel needs to stay cheap or update rooms, charged for use of WIFI and safe which is a first in Rio

price, view of mountain balcony breakfast all nice

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

The service at the hotel in now way warrants its 4 star...

The service at the hotel in now way warrants its 4 star rating. In fact, i wouldn't even say it deserves 2. The staff is extremely rude - even unfriendly. We found old leftover food in our room when we checked in. The bedsheets were too small for the bed. The floor was not properly cleaned. They did not refill toilet paper. The wi-fi (for which they charge R$10 / 24h !!!) is soo slow - barely works. After checking out 12 hours after buying a 24 hour wi-fi pass, they refused to let us use the remaining time, while waiting for our pick-up in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2015

Location: very central

Booking not registered on arrival so fight to not pay walk- in rate.Terrible Bed, noisy air-con; pay for every item, tv wires faulty, no fitted sheets, telephone in hallway rings all night; wouldn't return. Should have read reviews first!

Location: very central Bell boys very good Counter staff try

• Reviewed: 11 July 2015

The service was bad, unpolite staff.

The service was bad, unpolite staff. The gym facilities was old and broken, and our room was dirty with a shattered window. Even the pool was really dirty. We did not have a nice stay.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

Gostei muito dos funcionários, todos simpáticos e...

Falta gerência para um serviço mais qualificado, no restaurante principalmente. A garagem, paga 50 reais por dia, é horrível. Cheira a mofo e é tão pequena que não dá para manobrar facilmente.

Gostei muito dos funcionários, todos simpáticos e prestativos.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2015

The view from balcony.

The room without balcony is like to be in the prision with nothing you would like to see throug the window. The breakfast was poor.

The view from balcony. Roof top swiming pool. Usually there were nobody.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2015

The place doesn't even deserve a 1 star.

The place is filthy. 92 degree weather and wall air conditioner blows up. Mold all over the shower and bathroom walls. I can not express the dissatisfaction. As soon as I get a chance I want to pursue my disgust with the hotel.

The place doesn't even deserve a 1 star.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

All

All

• Reviewed: 23 March 2016

The hotel is old,no maintenance in the rooms,no hot water,air con too loud,the toilet seats were dirty,and breakfast was poor.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2016

The worse experience ever.

Awful, dirty hotel. Dishonest manager, rude staff. It is a 2 star hotel.

The worse experience ever. Just wanted to leave.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Location and price

Maitresses and breakfast

Location and price

• Reviewed: 15 February 2016

The country

The staff the price the service

The country

Mold -Roachs-Smell of dampness

• Reviewed: 14 August 2015

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

The location only

Maneger didnt sort The poblems and he not even care About The shoes desapier on The room

The location only

• Reviewed: 22 March 2015

bed

the rudest manager ever.

bed

• Reviewed: 19 February 2015

The room was very nice and there was free breakfast.

The wifi was terrible (and is NOT free), the pool was small, and the sauna did not work.

The room was very nice and there was free breakfast.

There are also 15 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Royalty Copacabana Hotel traveller photo gallery