Reviews of Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort 5 stars

Avenida Niemeyer, 121, Leblon, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 22450-220, Brazil

#87 of 451 hotels in Rio de Janeiro

• Ocean Front Room

The bedrooms a definitely in need of some serious renovation. Very old style and with a old carpeting giving the impression of uncleanliness.

The location was perfect The lobby ; overall facilities ; and staff, were of a high standard.

• Ocean Front Room

The room Service did not pick the plates for two days. The rooms smell very badly. It seems because the nearest yo sea the humedity is impregnes. The concierge doesn’t call back.

The beach and the spa.

Could not fault it

Stayed for 3 nights and upgraded to Club which was worth every penny. The hotel had everything we needed good restaurants, great location, beach and swimming pool. With the Club upgrade we got a seaview suite and the Club lounge and breakfast was excellent. Definitely the best hotel we stayed in throughout our 3 week visit to Rio.

• Ocean Front Upper

Dirty. Room was not cleaned properly. Bathroom tub with leak. Swimming pool not clean during the day with empty glasses and rest of food laying on the ground next to the pool. Not expected for a 5 stars hotel ! Impossible to get simple food (pizza, sandwiches) in less than one hour at the Casa da Calchaça restaurant even with few people there. At check in the room were not ready before 6:00PM. At check out the bill was wrong.

Nice location at the end of Leblon's beach

• Ocean Front Suite

slow service in the pool area bar! Dirty bedroom carpet (had seen better days) Bathroom shower flooded the room every time it was used, however we adjusted the shower curtain. The plastic litter on the beach was really bad - the hotel should pay the local children to give them bags of it cleared and then everyone would be happy.

the beds are comfortable. The pool area and beach access is second to none in Rio as you don't have to cross a road to access the beach and its virtually private to the hotel. The pool area and grounds are very large compared to every other hotel in Rio.

• Classic Room

The bedroom pillows could have been more comfortable. Also when we arrived we were given a room on the 7th floor with a view for a dirty terrace we had to ask to move to another room.

The swimming pool is amazing great view and good water temperature. The beach in front of the hotel and the coast view were very beautiful

• Ocean Front Suite

Needs a bit of investment in infraestructure (capex). Rooms/bathrooms are a bit dated. I know it was carnival weekend but they cant run out of beach towels and beach umbrellas. Advice: Please buy 1000 more towels and 25 more beach umbrellas.

Beautiful outdoor setting with amazing swimming pool & jacuzzi. Great comfort to have an almost private beach. Decent food for a large hotel. Room was large and with amazing ocean view.

• Ocean Front Suite

The currency exchange facility- run by a third party company, but within the hotel- was an unprofessional ‘ hole in the wall’, with no published exchange rates, no transaction receipts and disgraceful exchange rates ( half of published exchange rates on the day).

The swimming pool and whirlpool were both great, and our room with ocean view was fantastic.

• Ocean Front Room

Located directly on the beach (you don't have to cross the street like on all the other hotels in this area). Very nice. Clean. Perfect staff. Warm pool. Not overcrowded. Vallet parking.

• Ocean Front Upper

Quite a large hotel, very many guests and very few staff. All the staff is overloaded, and it's quite difficult to get you paid attention. Constant problems with the Internet. A large pool, but the water in it is extremely dirty - by the end of the rest, got otitis of the right ear.

Not bad, if the windows look exactly at the sea. Bad, if not at sea or with a partial view of the sea - then the windows overlook the road, which is quite noisy. It's nice that the hotel itself is a bit away from the main tourist places. Nearby is a good area with good restaurants and shops.

• Classic Room

What we didn’t like? Having to check out! (Faulty slider door but reported it & didn’t affect our stay in anyway)

Room upgrade with superb view, package breakfast/tea/happy hour deal, good kids room, slippers, pool & towel service, beautiful breakfast and restaurant, outside restaurant has good food in nice surroundings too. Only stayed one night w/late check out but took advantage of all on offer and look forward to being able to stay again! Thank you Sheraton and thank you Booking.com.

• Ocean Front Upper

Only 2 things I didn't like. (1) The free Wi-Fi was very poor compared to what I am accustomed to. We stayed in a Sheraton Club room, which, per the advertising got higher-speed Wi-Fi service. If that was so, I pity the others who didn't have the "faster" service. On one day, the Internet connection was out for many hours, owing to an "external" problem. (2) The snacks, canapés, etc., provided at happy hour in the Sheraton Club Lounge were gone within 15 minutes and the staff was never able to keep up. That is not the best way to take care of your best-paying customers!

There were a great many things to like! The Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel is the perfect spot for people and families who want a beach setting but quieter and not crowded. It excels at this! Great facilities and a family friendly staff. The beach service was stupendous -- drinks, food, chairs, umbrellas, etc. The entire property felt very safe and inviting. Concierge service advised us well, had answers even for small things (like forgotten suntan lotion) and got us just what we wanted.

• Ocean Front Room

Our original room did not meet expectations and we were in a poor position at the edge of the hotel overlooking machinery. We havd to change rooms 3 times before we were happy. This did slightly tarnish our arrival to Brazil. The bedrooms were also a liittle frayed around the edges and were not upt to the expected standard

The large swimming pool, closeness to the beach and the excellent service from the hotel staff made up for the lower than expected condition of the bedrooms.

• Classic Room

The ar conditioning is too high which makes it too cold and uncomfortable to stay at the restaurants and in the inside areas of the Hotel.

Location and facilities are amazing: great pools, on the beach, beautiful.

• Ocean Front Upper

It was our second time at the hotel and everything was perfect! The acomodation was very comfortable, the swimming pools are simply the best I have been in my hole life, and the atmosphere is delicious! It is the only resort in Rio with a true beach experience, just 10 steps from the pool area to the sand. The hole place is surrounded by true tropical forest, you won’t feel you are in the heart of Rio. On the other hand, the hotel is so close to Leblon, which is the most fancy neighborhood in town. In other words, for me and my family, Sheraton is the best option in Rio and we hope to come back later.

• Ocean Front Upper

Room temperature was off and made it difficult to control the humidity. TV reception was awful.

The best location. Friendly staff and delicious breakfast.

• Classic Room

The location is fabulous with amazing views over Rio if you have one of the top floor rooms. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. Fantastic little beach.

• Classic Room

The fixed price breakfast of Rs71 was too much to eat for one person. As we were not permitted to eat breakfast outside on the terrace we ended up cycling to Leblon every day for a better value breakfast. Although it is not the responsibiity of the hotel, it is a pity the footpath/cyclepath from outside the hotel is closed west to Tijuca. In respect to booking.com the following is not hotel specific. I do consider the method of showing the price to be paid in large font in Sterling should better reflect the actual price paid on my credit card which was the small font as well as a handling charge by the cc card company. The final price was a good 20% more than I originally expected.

I had stayed there before around 17 years ago. We brought fold away bikes from London although it would have been possible to hire them from in front of the hotel. The bike track along Ave Niemeyer has been constructed since I was last there and is a very useful addition in terms of bike safety.

• Classic Room

we were in the city from 12:00 to 19:00 and they forgot/ or did on purpose didnt clean our room while we were out. For this price I dont expect this to happen, never happend in any other hotel I‘ve been so far. It is quite noisi at night so better go out. Pool was closed at 6p.m. eventhough it should be open until 8 p.m.

location is very central, view is beautiful

• Ocean Front Room

They need more breakfast options like a coffee shop . Not everyone wants a Full breakfast buffet or room Service charges .

Beautiful hotels Wonderful room and view Very clean and nice staff Easy check in and check Out Great pool Nice beach area

• Ocean Front Room

My husband and I stayed there for 6 days. The room was big bed and pillows were comfy, and the bathroom was also lovely. The balcony was also great over looking the beach and sea, and in the distance we could see Copacabana Beach. Free Wifi and it worked well. There were many Resturants in the complex, the French Resturant is a must, also the Italian The Martini Bar for happy hour. We walked most places, but you have to like walking. Great pool and gym. Loved my stay

• Ocean Front Room

I booked the ocean front room in booking and then when I arrived in the hotel, I upgraded my room to be Sheraton club room. But the reception charged me 60USD(+15% tax) when I checked out, not as mentioned 16USD(+15%tax) by reception when I checked in. It is is uncomfortable and exceptional issue for me. I hope hotel will check it. Thanks!

• Classic Room

That some people are really incompetent in the position that are assigned to them, and I mean from SUPERVISORY TO MANAGERIAL. I'm not better than anybody else but these people does not have a passion in doing their jobs and KEEPING THEIR WORDS, MISSION AND VISION OF YOUR HOTEL (if you have one). And I think we have to stop claiming 5 stars. You could pass for a 4 star superior. The room that we had is older than it looks in the pictures and so dark. Some lights are needed to be replaced. Functionality of the room should be thoroughly checked before release to the guest. Most importantly, COMMUNICATION INTERNALLY SHOULD BE COMPREHENSIVE.

Breakfast is good.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Superior Room

Wifi was terrible, beach had graffiti on the walls (Would recommend Ipanema / Leblon beaches over this one.

Settling, large rooms, pool area and view

• Club Room Sheraton - Apartment

the poolside facilities could have been better, the cocktails were not the best I have ever had as they don't have the right equipment to make them, it would be worth sending the pool staff on courses. The beach is a shared with the public. The poolside towels need to be better quality and the loungers need mattresses too for more comfort. Our bedding in the room was a little poor quality. We arrived in a Saturday night and the hotel was so quiet, a little entertainment would have been nice but the whole place lacked a bit atmosphere Another big disappointment for me was the sun is only at the pool and beach until 3pm as the hotel is shadowed by a mountain

The gentlemen who served us in the club evening lounge was fantastic and extremely pleasant and helpful, I think his name was Alfondo, he is an asset to the Sheraton and a one they should treasure, the poolside staff were very nice too

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Classic Room

Nothing... all was great!!!

Everything was so good! they have the best resturant in Rio on the top floor; The security was above and beyond. Great beautiful location. Between Copocabana & Leblon.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Ocean Front Room

The italien restaurant for Dinner was cooled down to a ice hole and with a chaotic service so that we left before placing an order. The bar on the lobby level cold learn a lot from the "DRY Martini" staff!

The Hotel has nice locations like the "Dry Martini Bar", The pool area with Bar and nice service, great breakfast service, super charmant outside restaurants!

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Ocean Front Upper

i booked 2 rooms under my name. since i was a platinum member they offered me a free breakfast. i asked twice to make sure that the free breakfast covers the 2 rooms and they told me that it does. when i checked out, they asked me to pay for the second room despite telling them that i asked twice. they promised to check with the receptionist and the other staff who told me that breakfast will be free for the 2 rooms and promised to call back to clarify it, but i received no calls from them!

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Classic Room

The fact that a mistake was made during my check in with payment where I asked to settle my room account upon check in so that I can enjoy every remaining cent on shopping but the receptionist omitted to charge one day which created a stress at the end of my stay having to be locked out of my room because the mistake made by the employee of the Hotel is the only regrettable dislike that spoiled my holiday.

The location of the Hotel, beautiful overlooking the sea. The hotel is a bit secluded providing much desired safety but still not far from Liblon shopping. The restaurants serves delicious food with friendly staff. In one restaurant the Pizza house one particular waiter a lady makes you feel welcomed and enjoy eating there.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Classic Room

Only minor criticism Porter on arrival didn't open the door nor take our bags until we were fully inside lobby! Not helpful when you have 4 cases for 2 people

Staff extremely friendly House maids not only did a good job but phoned daily to see if there was anything extra we needed - lovely touch Food amazing at 3 restaurants we tried Beach was lush

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Superior King Room

It's located away from the main beaches so if you want to get basically anywhere you must get a taxi. The location can be a plus, too, if you are security consciuous in a sometimes unsafe city.

Rooms were large, spotless and well appointed. The hotel focuses on business conferences and thus it has all the amenities you would expect. Very confortable. Security is everywhere.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Can be noisy if you are not on a high floor.

I was very surprised that the pools are heated. During our stay the air temperature was about 22 degrees, hence a cold pool would be awful. When I noticed that the pools were nice and warm, I was very Happy! Very friendly and accommodating people work in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

We eat in the Italian restaurant which was disappointing.

The breakfast was the best balance South America and European styles. Spa wonderful. Staff so helpful. Cold flannels and frozen palate freshness provided by the pool daily.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Great facilities, was like staying in a resort minutes from Leblon beach. Was great for young kids with a kids club, soccer court and heated pool. Very friendly staff who went out of their way to assist with two young children. Breakfast was also great with plenty of Brazilian options. Will definitely stay there next time around.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Classic Triple Room

Service was great, facilities even better and the kids club was brilliant with our 2 young children. We were able to relax and enjoy the facilities while the children were enjoying the supervised kids club. Breakfast selection also good with plenty of Brazilian food to choose from. The hotel is safe and the views of Leblon/Ipanema were amazing. Leblon is only a short walk or taxi ride away costing less than 15 real.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Superior King Room

They we're undergoing construction and the main pool was closed. They should advise you prior to booking. Also they charged me for a late check out which considering the above should have been waived.

Amazing staff beautiful scenery.

• Ocean Front Room

Amazing room, pool, food and good staff

Overall

Semi private

• Ocean Front Suite

The AC was to cold in the restaurants and bars.

Nice location not so far from the city.

• Superior Room

The views and the comfort. Staff was very helpful as well.

Lovatio

• Classic Room

It's very unusual image, building, service and etc for Grand Hyatt.

• Ocean Front Room

The check in process was slow and burocratic.

Breakfast.

Overall an excellent experience

• Ocean Front Upper

Everything was so perfect. Great place, great care from the staff who was really professionnal but made you feel comfortable at the same time.

• Superior Room

Impossible to enjoy the hotel pool or facilities, too many families and kids screaming, all the time, everywhere!

Great Location

Resort-Tax

• Ocean Front Upper

Pool restaurant service was excellent.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.

I liked everything

Excgellent room service and the pool is spectacular

Restaurante Etoile é ótimo. Great restaurant and excelent staff

• Ocean Front Room

Overpriced very close to a dangerous Favela Food was overpriced and bad

Not much. Nice view only

• Ocean Front Upper

Excellent place especially if you want to be away from the busy Ipanema and Copacabana areas. Great place for family.

• Family Room

Corridor carpets could have been cleaner.

Staff were excellent especially with the children.

• Ocean Front Upper

This is an amazing hotel with easy access to the town centre and beaches! Great food in all restaurants and beautiful spa! Staff were always helpful!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Ocean Front Upper

Menor costo de alimentación en general

• Classic Room

That people does not know how to handle challenges and concerns of their guest

• Classic Room

the bed was very , the staff was very friendly

Rooms are not of 5 star standard

Early check in, private beach, very nice staff, location

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Superior Room

It wasnt as clean as i expectedp

The confort of the hotel

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Classic Room

Loved everything about this Hotel, highlight of our trip

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Great location; secluded but just minutes to Leblon, Ipanema

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

wifi just for 2 hours per day

Beach and pool services

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Club Room Sheraton - Apartment

Quiet, staff excellent, beautiful location. Amenities great. Pool, gym, beach, tennis.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Ocean Front Upper

The breakfast was not included

Service and view is excelent

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Club King Room Sheraton

Bit far away from the main areas

Rooms excellent.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Bathroom fittings outdated

Friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Classic Room

The manager was so professional , great staff, clean rooms and nice bed!

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Club Triple Room Sheraton

Club room facilities, swimming pool and gym

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

A demora no check-in

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Classic King Room

Looking outside the window, its like paradise!

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Superior King Room

In general the waiters at the breakfast need more training

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

Sector spa

La playa "privada"

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Hotel in construction and no warning when booking. Very noisy and annoying. Kid's playroom was hidden and no signs in hotel indicating. Have a 14 month old baby and only found the playroom on the last day of our stay. Information should be given at check-in.

Friendly and helpful staff, great pool areas, excellent food at Bene Restaurant.

There are also 41 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

gogbrazil