Reviews of Halifax Waverley Inn 3 stars

1266 Barrington Street, B3J 1Y5 Halifax, Canada

#4 of 12 B&Bs and Inns in Halifax

• Standard One Queen Room

Nothing! Everything met our expectations.

Great location just one block from the ocean front. Very nice restored building. Really enjoyed staying here.

• Traditional One Double Room

Accommodation a little dated and double bed quite small. Air conditioning noisy. Basic breakfast.

Location and free parking and helpful front office staff.

• Traditional One Double Room

It was all great except for weather on last day. The B&B would not be for everyone as it is an older building and attracts an older clientele. I loved it.

This is a very nice B&B with a good breakfast so did not use any of the restaurants nearby. Eating on the Waterfront and seafood was what I wanted and I got both.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

Breakfast is complimentary but this does not mean that it has to be average or mediocre. With a little bit more effort the breakfast can be brought at a higher level. Take the bread out of the plastic container and let guest cut fresh bread themselves. Eggs the same, not each day hard boiled eggs, which is the easiest. Away that ugly looking brown bean pan which hardly any guests eat. Bit more variety and presenting food items more appealing goes a long way. And a bit more of a smile by the staff working in the breakfast room. It seems that most staff, exception the Asian lady, don't have much pleasure in their work looking at their faces. Bit more smiling and friendly attitude puts the whole experience at an higher level.

Rooms are spacious and if you like the old style antique look this is a hotel where you will find a lot too see. Also nice that they have complimentary coffee thee and biscuits in the lobby all day long and you can read a newspaper in the louche next to the lobby.

Mattress not the best.

The colonial property was beautifully decorated and had alot of extra touches - 24 hr coffee, tea and snacks, delicious breakfast, close-in location, on-site parking, etc.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

With being a historical inn, the electrical setup is very inconvenient. There was a distinct lack of plugs for charging devices.

It was a cozy room with comfortable bed, slept soundly.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

What a cool place to stay! Friendly, but not overbearing check-in. Was wonderful to see the room and the furnishings. Really enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. Wish I stayed more than one night.

• Standard One Queen Room

Although the food is tasty, the breakfast options are basic and limited.

Bed was large and comfortable. Bathroom was a good size and everything was clean.

• Traditional One Double Room

The room was a little small, but overall enough room for us for two nights. No elevator was annoying (we had to go up and down 3 flights of stairs).

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location was fantastic - right downtown and close to the harbour. Cool decor, "Victorian" theme. Breakfast was good, lots of options, both hot and cold.

• Standard One Queen Room

Very small bathroom with a very narrow bath tub tuck in between narrow two walls ...

It was confortable but we only had a double bed as it was the last room available. We already stayed before and like it. Free breakfast and parking are a bonus especially in Halifax! Short distance to boardwalk on the waterfront and city market..Pier 21 ...Garrison !

• Traditional One Double Room

Breakfast was cold with an unimaginative menu. Snacks were similarly uninspired. Food should match the quality of the rest of the inn.

Attention to beauty. Its history is well preserved and shows up in its lovely antiques and restoration, while not skimping on the amenities.

• Standard One Queen Room

If your a light sleeper and not using the fridge unplug it before going to bed, in fairness I'm a light sleeper and it probably wouldn't bother most people, or me if Id had more to drink.

My wife and I stayed one night at the Waverley as a stop over before a long drive to Prince Edward Island Our room was comfy and quite, so quite I could hear the fridge the bath room was clean and tidy with lovely bath robes The room had a Big comfy bed, PS watch out for the huge feet on the bed they look wonderful but could crack the little toe I thought I had but it was OK and I learn quick. There was plenty of breakfast to choose from there's a lovely quaint old pub about 4 doors down, Its about 5 mins walk to the duck boards ( harbour front ) sadly building work was going on when we were there. Plenty of parking

• Traditional One Double Room

There was nothing we didn't like

We liked everything. Beautifully restored rooms, very comfy bed, great bath. Very good bkf. Nice sitting area in lounge.

• Traditional One Double Room

Breakfast, it could be richer and less Holiday Inn Express like.

Very charming and very good location, facility needs a bit of a modernization e.g. double beds are not really in anymore for adults. Parking facility unbeatable in down town Halifax.

• Traditional One Double Room

The toilet and bathtub were in a room and the sink in the main bedroom, this made it a little awkward to clean your hands after using the toilet - but it was manageable.

Location, atmosphere, and decor.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

We booked this one night stay in addition to a longer stint at the same hotel in a smaller room. For our first night we were so fortunate to be put in the Sisters Room, which was spectacular. The bed was huge, the furniture was so cool, and the bathtub was heavenly. We were able to check in early, which was very nice, as we'd just taken the red eye flight from home and were exhausted. We sat by the fire, in our big wingback chairs, chatting about the history of the place. It feels so European. The lobby was lovely, with neat local books. The breakfast room has a good number of tables. The dollhouse was interesting to look at.

• Traditional One Double Room

Same breakfast selection every morning. It got a little boring. I personally would have appreciated a little variety (maybe bacon, or sausages, instead of ham every day, and perhaps a different kind of pancakes)

The location is fabulous. We walked everywhere! We also lived the history of the house, and the incredible decor. The staff were extremely accommodating, and everyone was so friendly. The beds were comfortable, and the hotel was very clean.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

He rooms were beautiful, we loved the romantic sisters room.

The rooms were so beautiful! The staff very courteous! The breakfast was wonderful and it was nice to have WiFi and free parking.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

Beautifully maintain old building, staff were wonderful, parking was free and convenient, comfortable bed, and nice home cooked breakfast included! Would definitely recommend.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

Front desk staff seemed to send us on a wild goose chase when asked for good shopping location for those visiting the city. First, he said it was a "straight shot" down to the boardwalk and over to the shops. HARDLY! it was a maze of boardwalk that added endless walking on a rainy, rainy day. Once we finally got there, after the assistance of the Visitor's Center on the waterfront, who by the way were EXCELLENT, there were actually only 4 shops in the location -- hardly worth the time, and soggy effort. Why he didn't direct us to Spring Green Road in the first place, is completely beyond me. My advice for the front desk is to KNOW your area and when the shops are open, what is there, etc. We lost so much time that could have been spent enjoying the other areas of the city.

Hotel is in a great location. Loved the beautiful ambience and charm of this historic inn. Breakfast was ample and tasty and served in a timely manner. Really enjoyed the coffee/tea and cookies in the front area - made for a more cozy stay.

• Traditional One Double Room

If you have a issue with stairs, might be a minor issue otherwise no issues. Staff offered to carry luggage to room, in yrs of travelnever been asked. This sells

Love this grandladys of hotels, charm and character, wish newer hotel meet you with charm you don't see anymore. Staff was excellent, breakfast was good, location, near water front, per 21, martime museum ect, spring garden rd around the corner. Public transportation just a block away, food all price ranges

The view was abysmal, and while my bed looked gorgeous, it seemed to have a hard ridge right down the middle. I found it hard to get comfortable. Maybe it was the edges that had softened with wear???

The breakfast provided a good range of choices. Furnishings were very nice - staff courteous.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

Breakfast was just okay. We knew in advance that there could be stairs involved but ended up on the third floor and there is a long flight to the front door as well, so request a lower floor if this will be an issue.

Great period property, decorated and maintained with an original feel. Easy walk to waterfront. An excellent pub, coffee shop, take-out pizza and shawarma, and Vietnamese restaurant all within a 100yds.

• Traditional One Double Room

No tea and coffee facilities in the rooms and decor in the rooms a little tired.

Good location, Friendly helpful staff, breakfast included, tea coffee and biscuits available 24 hours. Free parking.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

The payment method of the taxi driver-without taxi sign- who was ordered for me,I follow up the price,which is still not known for me,I did not get a receipt and not even an oral information about the price,and I had to press the 15% tip,without this it was not possibile to do the payment.I hope it will be not extraordinary,I wait for my credit card receipt next week.I hope there will be no follow up,I am nervous,since I never experienced this,though I visited 125 countries.

The whole hotel is a beautiful house with antiquities.Breakfast complimentary as tea,coffee and cookies.Clean and lovely linen of the best.Quiet room.Very near to the city center.The hotel is a unique place to feel well.Price is very moderate.Nice smile at late arrival in the middle of night.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

No air conditioning in our specific room but we did notice units in some others. We could open a window though. A couple items in the buffet seem to have been there some time by the time we made it to breakfast.

Our room was beautifully quaint and spacious. Very clean. Able to walk wherever we needed to go. Buffet breakfast included.

Wifi was a bit patchy.

Central location and free parking in downtown Halifax. Easy walk to tourist sites. Plenty of choices for breakfast. Coffee and tea available at reception all day. Cake and cookies at 4pm each day which was very welcome after a busy day. Warm and welcoming staff and a genteel atmosphere made for a truly wonderful stay and I will stay there again.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

The last morning when I finally had time for my soak in the cool tub, the jets didn't work. But the tub was relaxing anyway!

For a "continental breakfast" I was impressed to have pancakes, tators, beans, cheese, quiche, eggs, and then the usual bagels, granola, yogurt. So it was much more than I expected. The rooms were super clean which was incredible for such a historic location, the place in general was just well-kept. Staff were all super friendly and welcoming, both in person and over email before I came with my questions. The location is really stellar, close to everything!

• Traditional One Double Room

I'm not entirely sure whether there was enough parking in the lot for each unit to have a space, so that may be a concern for some. Our room did not get "made up" for us, despite the placard on the doorknob indicating that we would like it made up. Furthermore, when we asked for fresh towels, they were just dropped off without removing the soiled towels (again, placard on the door asking for the room to be made up). It was mildly annoying, given that I witnessed one of the cleaning staff doing something on their cellphone the few times that I passed them going in and out of my room.

The location of this inn was excellent! Parked my car and did not move it the entire weekend. The breakfast was also pretty delicious compared to many continental breakfasts. There were hot foods (e.g., beans, boiled eggs, pancakes, ham, quiche) available. There was always tea/coffee available in the lobby. The entire inn was very beautiful to walk through. The small rooms are relatively good value for your money, but they are quite small. Shower was VERY small. Everything was also really clean upon check in, which is a must for my travels.

• Standard One Queen Room

There were no indication as how to use some machines provided for the breakfast (like getting hot water).

The room was extraordinary! It was like living in a small apartment, with the price of a normal hotel room. The location was great too: near the conference center, the old port of Halifax, etc.

• Traditional One Double Room

This place is absolutely beautiful. When I entered the hotel, I felt that I was traveling in time. The comfort of the bedroom was great. The breakfast was delicious.

• Traditional One Double Room

The room was very small, not a lot of room for working on a laptop. The lighting was very low and the window was also very small so there wasn't a lot of lighting in the room. I wasn't a fan of the picture on the wall and the TV was also very small. The bathroom was okay but a bit tiny as well. More outlets would have been nice near the window and the closet desk area.

The decor was beautiful. Its just like stepping back in time. The location was great and I loved the free parking. The price was very reasonable.

• Traditional One Double Room

The room was a bit crowded, even for 1, breakfast was nothing special, and the whole thing was a bit overpriced for a B&B.

Beautiful building, helpful staff, comforyable room, and good location for me.

• Standard One Queen Room

The breakfast was the same very day and could have had a bit more variety

The historic atmosphere of this inn makes it an interesting place to stay. The entry area is bright and cosy. Although our room was small, it was quiet, clean & comfortable, and the bathroom was modern & roomy. The resident ghost adds character to the inn, and is not in any way scary. If you are lucky, you may hear her! It was nice to stay in a smaller inn instead of a large impersonal hotel. We would definitely stay there again.

• Traditional One Double Room

Beside lighting was dim for reading

Hotel provided good value for money and it's central location was ideal for visiting major tourist attractions without a car. The selection at breakfast was very good and the breakfast room was a nice space to start the day.

• Standard One Queen Room

I had to move rooms because of very loud bar (on Saturday night) across the street. I then got a room that was ok-ish, as right beside reception and issue was safety a bit (one window only but without bars.

Nice staff, comfy room although right by reception

• Traditional One Double Room

Great value for money, and an excellent location. The style of the hotel was very classic, and the rooms were comfortable. The breakfast could have been better, but the baking they had by the front desk was top-notch.

• Traditional One Double Room

Front of the house bedroom was a noisy spot on Saturday evening as it's across the road from a pub/restaurant.

Beautiful old Inn. Well-maintained! Great breakfast

• Standard One Queen Room

Antiques were not genuine, bed too big for room. We were in a almost basement room at the end of the ground floor corridor, with a small basement window.

Staff was friendly, bed was very comfortable

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

Wish I had known that my room was on the third floor prior to arriving. I would have preferred first or even second floor. Coffee/tea would be nice on each floor so we don't have to travel ALL the way down. A little added perk especially for the elderly or just wanting a hot beverage in the middle of the night.

The room and embiance was tremendous

• Traditional One Double Room

No lift so cases dragged up stairs. First room was a bit small with a double bed, next room was better. Queen size bed and larger room.

Good location. Friendly staff. Edwardian style hotel but very comfortable and clean. Great antiques!!! Good value for money.

• Traditional One Double Room

Great location, very well looked after and clean place. Great atmosphere. Very special feeling antique furniture and other attributes of "live history". Very friendly stuff.

• Traditional One Double Room

beautiful older inn, lots of antique furniture yet with very comfortable beds and bedding, very clean, quiet, close to many downtown attractions, hardwood floors (no carpets), full breakfast

• Traditional One Double Room

The only negative is that the hallway is way to bright, so the room was not dark enough for me.

We liked that it was as if we were in another century. The bed was really comfortable. The staff was just super super nice. We felt like we were family. They even accommodated us with more parking time since we were going to the hospital.We will definitely come back just for pleasure.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

A bit too warm at night for sleeping perfectly.

Beautiful furnishings, comfortable beds, wonderful to even have an overhead light. Not a good place for more severely mobility impaired person. Breakfast had lots of choices of food. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

The breakfast was really marginal and disappointing. Leathery ham, barely warm hotcakes, cold hard boiled eggs, cheap pastries. It wouldn’t take much effort to improve it enormously. It was also nearly exactly the same every day which was very disappointing to my son. Also, lighting in the room was poorly organized without easily accessible bedside lamps. The WiFi signal was really weak.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

Our room was too warm for sleeping and took a while to cool down (in winter) by leaving the window open and ceiling fan on. (Room was located in ground floor under the stairs). Breakfast is fine but nothing very special. Offers all the breakfast basics and is self-serve. But lattes are available just across the road!

Love the quirky Victorian decor and unique furnishings. Staff always very friendly and helpful. Location is perfect to walk to downtown and waterfront and also to Dalhousie. Parking is great and it was very quiet. Always available tea and coffee and banana bread in the afternoon is a nice touch.

• Traditional One Double Room

Sound insulation. Nothing catastrophic, but I did find that the sound echoed through the walls. I guess it should be expected when you stay in an antique building.

A gem of a find! If you're looking for a unique place to stay, this is it. Takes you right back into an 1800's setting without jeopardizing service and quality.

• Deluxe Queen Jacuzzi Room

This isn't really a negative but, the space between the queen size bed and the wall was a little tight. The chair by the door; not the desk one; could use an ottoman and a lamp for reading. Other than than that, this is an excellent place to stay to explore the downtown area of Halifax.

The staff is very personable,,,,,, no issues whatsoever. We enjoyed our included breakfast and brief conversation with some of the staff. ....... also very clean lodging and historic feel to the place.

nada!

character of the facility was amazing, Location excellent. Staff friendly and accomodating. extremely clean. Our new go to place in Halifax. Singing its praises to family and friends.

• Traditional One Double Room

The location, the homey feeling, pleasant and courteous staff. Relaxed atmosphere at breakfast and a very honest receptionist who saved my wallet when I left it there by mistake. Overall a great visit!

• Traditional One Double Room

The booking website lead me to believe there was only 1 room left and 1 other person looking. We booked but there were lots of rooms available when we got there.

The breakfast had a good variety.The location was perfect for down town.

• Traditional One Double Room

The size of the room and the size of the bed are a bit small and there was no coffee machine or kettle for making tea in the room.

The location and style of the hotel.

• Standard One Queen Room

It was all good except we had a romantic two nights there so had a beautiful four poster bed but it was just a bit to short for me as my feet kept touching the foot board.

I like the individuality of it.

• Traditional One Double Room

Staff is super friendly and so incredibly kind. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Free parking and breakfast. Check out is noon which was wonderful as my meeting the next day wasn’t until 1 PM. Saved me from camping out at the Starbucks for hours.

• Traditional One Double Room

Overall is a really cozy and classical environment. The breakfast is ok, the staff is very friendly. The room was clean. I would definitely go back to Waverley Inn.

• Traditional One Double Room

I liked everything! Beautiful place, so unique, I felt like I am in 19 century... I liked that there was breakfast. It is very convenient when you travel. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Traditional One Double Room

Doesn't feel very private have to walk by front desk everytime we went in and out with guy just lurking about. Tried to use upper balcony exit once to go out for a smoke and dude was up there instantly just watching me. Have to buzz after 11 felt like trying to act sober in front of your parents when we came back late.

Close to everything, gorgeous hotel.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

The dislikes are vastly outweighed by the likes, but I will say that the beds, being only double beds and not queen size, felt small and my tall husband had his feet extending over the footboard. We realize that it's difficult to find queen sized beds in antiques, but it did impact our comfort level. We ended up using both beds in the room simply so that we could both sleep comfortably. Lots of little quirks in the room, but really they just added to the charm of this lovely old inn.

The furnishings and accents are simply beautiful with statuary, antiques and tapestries, and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. It's unusual for an inn such as this to have 24 hr. front desk service, but it certainly is convenient and appreciated. Also, the rooms were very clean, and free parking in this location is incredible. WiFi (also free) wasn't all that strong, but certainly adequate for our needs.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

Lot of stairs to downstairs breakfast room could be a problem for someone with mobility issues

Welcome contrast to usual boring hotel room. Wonderful old Halifax home with modern amenities and in a great downtown location with free parking! Coffee, tea and cake always available in lobby .

• Traditional One Double Room

The bed was very comfy and welcoming...lots of fluffy pillows. Breakfast was a nice surprise and they make a good pot of coffee. The building is old, but they did a good job of modernizing without losing the character of the era. Antiques are wonderful.

• Traditional One Double Room

Our fault for choosing the smallest of rooms. Would be better for a single person.

Although we mistakenly chose the smallest room, it was still comfy. Those pillows. Wow. Next time though, we’re going for the premium room! Very nice breakfast,coffee all the time and gorgeous antique furnishings.

• Standard One Queen Room

This is a lovely old inn which is part of the experience of a stay at the Waverly. Would be great if they had an elevator for folks whose mobility is limited.

This was an very enjoyable experience and I would highly recommend the Waverly. One minus, there is no elevator so if you are located on one of the higer levels ...... be prepared to navigate stairs with your luggage.

• Traditional One Double Room

Tea coffee making facilities were in lobby not room....had to carry hot drinks up stairs to room.

Old world charm throughout the property. Lovely antique furniture gives the property character. The cleanliness of the rooms were immaculate.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

I don't know if they have any facilities for handicaps. The breakfast room is down in the basement. That's not to say it isn't lovely, just not good for anyone with disabilities.

The whole ambiance of the Inn is wonderful. No cookie-cutter room designs. Antiques throughout and still very comfortable.

• Standard One Queen Room

Most of the staff were very friendly. I did notice that a couple of staff didn't say hello, or smile when we passed, which I always appreciate at other hotels.

The inn was cosy and beautifully decorated. I enjoyed sitting in the parlour and especially loved the tea, coffee and treats always on offer in the hallway.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Traditional One Double Room

there was a motor running below our room, like an ice machine or similar item which came on and off. It wouldn't stop us from returning but was a little annoying.

I loved the period decor. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas when we were there.

• Traditional One Double Room

The breakfast was not as great as some of the reviews seem to indicate and the room was quite small for a Canadian hotel/inn.

The decor was excellent and the location was perfect.

• Standard Twin 2 Doubles Room

There really wasn't anything we didn't like. The breakfast wasn't anything to write home about (though the pancakes were very good), but it was a decent breakfast with hot and cold foods. (And it was free!)

The property was quaint, but with all modern amenities. The room was spacious and pretty, with authentic antique furnishings. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were amazing! Having a free breakfast was a bonus. (I often choose properties based on whether there is a free breakfast.) The free parking in downtown Halifax was an unheard-of treat! I hope that The Waverley doesn't change that specific perk. In addition to its unique character and atmosphere, the free parking sets it apart from most other properties. The building was decorated for Christmas and it was absolutely perfect - so warm and inviting. I wish we could have stayed longer; we would have loved to have been able to spend a couple of hours reading or playing games in the warmth of the common room, and in the presence of its amazing, old-fashioned Christmas tree. All members of the staff with whom we interacted were warm and friendly. One gentleman even offered to show us one of the premium rooms (presumably because we expressed an interest in wandering through the other floors of the building). He didn't try to upsell; he just thought we might be interested in seeing it. So kind!

• Traditional One Double Room

Nothing. Property is lovely and staff are friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable.

Property was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Great atmosphere! Full breakfast included.

• Traditional One Double Room

The single complaint: our bed was a little soft and lumpy but otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay!

The Waverley is such a lovely setting for a stay.....amazing decor and features. We only had a room for the night so booked just a standard double room. Small and cozy but beautifully appointed. Our bathroom only had a shower, but was pristine!!! Staff were all friendly and accommodating and the breakfast is an unbelievable value to be included.....and constantly refreshed by the amazing staff.

• Traditional One Double Room

our shower didn't work we couldn't adjust the heat in our room

comfortable bed.......lovely staff.....wholesome breakfast with lots of choices.....good parking

• Traditional One Double Room

Beautiful 1870's Inn with lots of original décor. Good breakfast and friendly staff. Close to downtown, within walking distance of historic Halifax.

• Traditional One Double Room

There is no elevator so if mobility is an issue you may want to reconsider as there are lots of stairs. Rooms are quite small but comfortable and very clean.

Excellent location, free parking, clean and comfy with very helpful staff ! The price could not be beat! Easy walk to the convention centre, Spring Garden Rd, many great restaurants, the downtown core, the central library etc. I highly recommend the Waverly to those who don't need the commodities of larger hotel ...large room , gym, swimming pool etc. The complimentary coffee and breakfast in the morning were also a nice addition.

• Traditional One Double Room

Room got too hot, and I wound up opening a window rather than roasting. Bed mattress isn’t the most comfortable though I seem to have slept ok

It’s a good location in downtown Halifax - walking distance from train station. Staff are pleasant and helpful. Breakfast is fine but pretty basic. Boiled eggs, beans, toast/bagels, warmed small meats (ham etc) juice/ coffee, instant cereals, and nice selection of fresh fruit (bananas, oranges, apples) served as a “help yourself “ buffet. My room is pretty small but comfortable and quiet

Browse Halifax Waverley Inn traveller photo gallery