Reviews of Best Western Plus Gatineau-Ottawa 4 stars

131 Rue Laurier, Hull, J8X 3W3 Gatineau, Canada

#16 of 23 hotels in Gatineau

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Room is quite old. It's not dirty, but simply old; no tea pot, no safety box, no complimentary water, uncomfortably soft bed. I was given a connecting room, which means noise from the next room

Staff are all friendly and helpful. Location is nice; across the river is the parliament hall.

• Executive King Room with River View

I appreciate how staff made me feel special on my birthday, with all the small details like balloons drawn on my key cover. Sweet touch. Bed was comfortable, view of the river was very very nice and the location is close enough to Parliament Hill and the walkable downtown.

• King Room - City View

Wifi kept kicking me off and TV/cable as well kept disconnecting from service. I found the housekeeping was just fair and the property was a little run down. The staff were great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

The air condition machine is noisy.... at night we had to turn it off .

We were there to cheer up our daughter & her partner to run the Ottawa Marathon on Sunday. The location is very good , quiet street with great view to the river...Staff is GREAT - all my queries in advance are well communicated/replied that help me a lot in planning for my trip .

• King Room - City View

1. We booked a city view room with hardwood flooring however we got the opposite. A room with no view and carpet floor 2. Main parking lots was full so we had to park in the parking lot 2 blocks away and STILL GOT CHARGED A PARKING FEE

• King Room - City View

1- At check-in, the cleark at the front desk wanted that I pay the breakfast even though I had already paid it on Booking. 2- We waited 1h30 to be served for the breakfast in the morning, 45 min queuing outside the restautant and more time inside while seated. 3- The elevator stopped working while we were inside. 4- There was no toilet paper in the toilet located on the lobby (the one one the right) 5- There was no soap beside the sink located in the washrooms on the lobby. 6- The swimming pool water was not clear at all: impossible seing your feet! 7- Surprise fee of 13$ for parking the car (it's written in very tiny characters on the resevation that a 12$ add'tl fee would be added to park. I did not see it before since it was too small. Though, while check-in, the add'tl fee was 13$, not 12$).

Nice location. Locker for bikes

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

The Director ( Pierr) at the check-in said our room is not booked and don't have any vacancy, inspite showing Booking.com confirmation number and email. He acted too rude to their guest and asked us to leave as he said we don't have the room booked. I asked him to take my ID and check again in the system but he refused. After driving from Toronto on a rainy day for 6 hours if you don't have the room to stay it is so frustating. So I called their corporate office and they confirmed I have the bookings and asked me to hand over the phone to Pierr, the so called Director at front desk. Then suddenly he found my booking in his system and checked us in. My suggesting to people, please call the property right away to confirm your booking after you book your room from any third party website, otherwise you will get the response from them as I got " we are not responsible as you did your booking from third party"

Proxomity to the Parliament and other nice places in Ottawa.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

The price for same room was $63 more then last stay which was only two weeks prior and on a weekend. This stay was a Thursday night. Easy to hear people in hall

Pool was fun for the children. Staff was very friendly and allowed us to check in early.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

The facilities look old. They can use an update.

Beds were comfy. Room was clean. Staff were very helpful. The food was good and the server kept an eye on my needs.

• Deluxe Queen Suite with Kitchenette

The only thing I didnt like was parking fee. Please include parking fee in the payment before booking.

Location was so good . Room was nice and the staff was nice too. Thank you!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

The restaurant - it’s a menu based breakfast, expensive and poorly served. It’s a third part running independent from the Hotel. Our experience was terrible - there was only one employee to serve the tables, the restaurant was busy (family day long weekend) and we had to wait over 1h to be served. I don’t recommend the restaurant.

The room was really comfortable and roomy - an amazing view from external porch!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

I had booked this hotel as partially because they had a pool. However the hours of the pool are sporadic and do no accommodate with check in/ check out times.

• King Room - City View

No where was it mentioned that you had to be 21 to book, but you did. Also, parking was a charge of $12 that was also not mentioned.

Offered us a late check out without asking. Staff was friendly and funny.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

I had a family with a small child in the next room and he was either very happy and noisy or very unhappy and noisy. I felt sorry for his parents and wasn't about to complain but why, when the hotel wasn't full did you put this family - who were bound to be noisy with a small child- right next to me?

Comfortable and good value.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

The beds were small. The room was plain. There was no ice maker on the floor and the only one was in the basement. The restaurant on site was always closed. This is supposed to be a 4 star accommodation but in my opinion it should be rated more of a 2-3. Just a standard hotel. Friendly enough staff but nothing extraordinary. I likely wouldn't stay again.

I liked the view from the room. Direct view of the river and a nice view of the Parliament buildings.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Dissappointed: No tv in lobby, buffet breakfast was advertised , but was only a la carte. Wasnt open for dinner. Not many food options. Breakfast not great quality. No juice, just coffee and tea. Pillows on bed were not straight - seemed messy upon arriving. Hairs on bathtub and shower curtain - not that clean. Not many restaurants around at all.

The beds were comfy! Great view! Friendly staff!

• King Room - City View

Price. Breakfast menu is very limited and poor quality. There should be a buffet breakfast where you can serve yourself. Options provided on the menu list where not very healthy and limited option

• King Room - City View

Parking or the lack thereof - tight spaces and little choice.

I like the fact that it located conveniently across the river from Ottawa. The staff were very welcoming, the accommodations and room were very clean. I'll be back soon.

• Executive King Room

the hotel decided to run a routine check @11 am while they were aware of our 12 o'clock check out notice . Right after 11am they decided to interrupt our stay by a loud and bipping noise !!!not to mention the rudeness of the receptionist.

the servant was nice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

A bag that was put in storage for 2 weeks and when we returned to the hotel they could not find it and no solution was offered. No one seemed to want to offer a solution.

• Executive King Room

This hotel was not worth the money. The description, pictures and reviews did not reflect how the hotel truly was. The staff were rude, terrible parking. We were on the 9th floor and it smelt like cat urine. The room was falling a part with exposed wires, the tub and tiles were gross. I can't believe we paid as much as we did. Soooo disappointed

• Deluxe Queen Suite with Kitchenette

access to the pool... you have to exit the elevator on 1st floor then walk up a small flight of stairs, down the hall AND THEN walk down 3 small flights of stairs.. traveled with my mom who walks with a cane & has difficulty with stairs but front desk staff said nothing about stairs ~ only that you need to get off on 1st floor to access pool. we were able to exit the pool via side door that leads to outdoor parking & main entrance. we could have been advised to enter same way by simply asking the lifeguard on duty to open that side door. ice machines are in the basement ~ don't have an issue with that, but it would be nice to have signs by the elevator stating their location. kitchen windows could not be opened but had the balcony & the sleeping area had the sliding balcony door but no balcony access ~ just a plexiglass sheet for no exit.

we went for the MosaiCanada 150 & it was directly across the street lemon water available in lobby was really nice had read negative reviews about the steep incline for indoor parking so we were happy to get an outdoor spot (although 1 entrance does have a very steep incline) we were happy to have booked suite with separate kitchen that included fridge, stove, microwave, coffee pot, kettle, cookware, dishes, etc.

• Executive King Room with River View

Hi I recently stayed at the best western in gatineau ( sept 12-13) and it wasnt the best hotel ive been too. Let me start with the parking lot 12$ for parking and theres not that much place to park so we have to go in the back across the street not cool, 2nd the pool deck is very slipery even when you walk my 3 year old daughter kept falling so we left the pool plus the noodles where so old and disgusting, 3rd no netflix and places to plug in phone, 4th the ice machine is all the way in the basement we where on the top on the last floor it made it long to get ice and lastly the breakfast was the worst 15 minutes to get served coffee we had choosen our food when we were told it was the wrong menu cuz we had coupons so another 15 minutes to order they werent enough waitresses!!! This is by far the worst hotel ive been too. I payed 309$ for one night thats so expensive for what we got. Thank you

Nothing really

• King Room - City View

View from our room was not good. Would have preferred room facing the park.

The bed was extremely comfortable. The location was excellent. The breakfast was excellent as were the staff.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Locan, parking (even if you pay 12 CAD) and staff were perfect. Room facility was very normal in comparison with same level of hotel in Europe (i.e. No safe box, empty minibar, no sleeper, etc)

• Family Suite with City View

The rooms were small and cramped. There needs to be renovations - door trimmings were coming off. Parking was hard to find and I had to pay for parking at $12/night. I would not recommend this hotel

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - City View

Bed was very small to fit 2 people and also the mattress was very uncomfortable to sleep on.

Very convenient to walk to Parliament building and other great attractions.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - City View

Paying for parking Kids needing to be 16 to go to pool without an adult even when though there is a lifeguard present

Comfy bed View from Gatineau suite Proximity to tourist attractions Free wifi Helpful friendly office staff

nothing really!

the location is really great. near to the Canadian Museum of History. Across the bridge there's Parliament Hill, Byward Market and other places of interests of Ottawa. basement parking is convenient!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Arrogance of the staff on the phone and at the checking. Problems with your service of booking that cost me extra money.

The breakfast and the service at the restaurant.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

Parking was a bit tight, due to high number of cars and need to use an alternative partking lot at rear of hotel, which was also very full. But that is really not the fault of the hotel. It shows that the hotel is attracting a large number of guests, especially at the height of the summer tourist season.

Comfort of beds. Convenient location near major tourist attractions in Gatineau and Ottawa. Tasty breakfasts, nicely served. Courtesy of staff. Accessibility of public transport and tourist information in close proximity to the hotel.

plastic drink glasses

The staff was excellent.. joked with us at checkin too.. they were able to give us some good advice . The bed was exceptionally comfortable and I loved having a makeup/shaving mirror in the bathroom.. I would suggest storage of the hairdryer be in the bathroom instead of the closet area

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

The bathrooms were a little filthy (mould) and small. This is the first time I've ever stayed in a BW that did not offer free breakfast. --Their website AND booking.com say it's $11CAD per person for breakfast and dinner per person per room, but that is not true. We paid $7 for two pieces of toast, and we're told at front desk they do not offer the $11 per person!-- The doors do not shut behind you, so you'll need to remember to close it. We err told we'd have a city view-I don't think that is the case. The outside of the building looks great but the inside is very dated.

It is a great location. But for the price I'm sure there is something cheaper.

• Family Suite with City View

One restaurant member walked around with a dirty cloth wafting about out of her back pocket which she wiped her hands on then proceed to lay cups and plates on the table.

Staff were helpful room was great with a view of the park.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Not enough time in our schedule. Would have loved to visit museums and other places.

Great location. Walked the bridge into Ottawa (twice) to visit the mint, parlement hill and other attractions. Great staff at hotel - very helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Parking lot was outside on the street at additional fee without any safety or supervision guaranteed. View on the city was a joke - some industrial and living area only. Cleaning lady wanted to enter the room without even knocking. The lobby equipment was outdated - we had to wait for a credit card approval to get a key for about 15 minutes. Rooms are pretty small, the building looks pretty old too.

cleanliness of the room was great. All the rest was really poor experience.

• King Room - City View

I was ask to pay for the parking. TV was not working, reported to reception,no one showed up for long periods of time. Call again for second time and then some one showed up.

• King Room - City View

I added the breakfast on my booking, apparently I cannot choose whatever I want, I only have 3 choices, and I paid the difference. And when I checked in, the front office guy told me you don't have breakfast, and then I told him I do, I already paid for that. And as per the booking .com there was a deal of saving 50% from the regular price which is 388$, I asked the front office before telling him that I'm here to check in, he gave me a rate of 378$.

Bed is comfortable only

• Family Suite with City View

Terrible location no restaurant no lounge or bar in the hotel and nothing near by. The hallways and elevators and public washrooms were dirty. Rooms were old need to be refurbished. I would never recommend this place I will never stay here again.

Wifi and staff were helpful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

NO POSSIBILITY TO HAVE LUNCH OR DINNER AT HOTEL , EXCEPT WEEKENDS. NO BAR , NO ATMOSPHERE. EXTENSIVE ROAD WORKS , GOING ON IN FRONT OF HOTEL , DAY & NIGHT. THEREFORE COULD NOT SIT ON BALCONY. ALL BUS ROUTES DIVERTED. I WAS SENT ON LOTS OF GOOSE CHASES TO FIND BUS STOPS IN SERVICE BY STAFF, WHO WERE NOT INTERESTED OR PROACTIVE IN PROVIDING INFORMATION OR MAKING UP FOR ANY INCONVENIENCES. NO FLEXIBILITY & AFTER 3 WEEK STAY, HAD TO LEAVE ROOM BY 1PM , ALTHOUGH HAD NIGHT FLIGHT HOME. COFFEE MACHINE IN RECEPTION AREA WAS EMPTY & NO ONE ATTEMPTED TO GET IT FILLED. PRICE OF ROOM VARIED FOR EACH NIGHT DEPENDING ON OCCUPANCY, WHICH WAS NOT INDICATED , WHEN BOOKING!

ROOM WAS COMFORTABLE AND CLEAN. GOOD LOCATION FOR DOWN TOWN OTTAWA. CONVENIENT FOR A 1-2 NIGHT STAY BUT NOT FOR LONGER.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

The hotel is very outdated. The carpet in the common areas was not clean. The carpet in the room was all dark brown and very old. The towels were all kind of grey , not very clean ( they were changed upon request, but then I saw the room where they were stored. Oh, boy, no wonder those towels were all grey instead of white. Also, the walls are thin, we could hear our neighbors sometimes. Ah, also, the thing to watch at the time of booking: taxes and extra fees!! Since it is Quebec side of Ottawa ( technically it is Hule or Gatineau), they have extra taxes (14.97 and 3.50), so we ended up paying 150 CAD extra because of those extra taxes.

The good things: The staff is very-very helpful and nice. I was very pleased with them. The restaurant on premises is good, we were there just for breakfasts though. The check out process was smooth too. The location is pretty good, we were able to walk across the bridge to get to downtown ( about 15-20 min walk). View of the river is very good if you are on the right side.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

We drive a new pick-up which would not fit into the underground parking so if no above ground parking available, then we are out of luck. There happened to be road construction and construction at the park across the road so quite noisy early in the morning right through to supper time.

Very courteous staff and a very clean hotel. The restaurant served up good hot food very quickly. I recommend the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Very helpful staff, saw that we arrIved several hours early with a little one in a stroller and worked to make sure our room was made ready immediately. Oh, and the restaurant in the building had an absolutely fantastic breakfast menu!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

Parking onsite was very limited but additional parking was available offsite although it is not secure parking lot if commercial/personal vehicle is a concern

Staff was bilingual and extremely courteous

• King Room - City View

Unfortunately had a room adjoins some very noisey and inconsiderate guests who partied until the early hours on the first two nights. Staff were great at relocating me to another room at 3am but I would have thought evicting them more in order - they annoyed many of the other guests on the level.

Friendly staff

• King Room with River View

Though The property is convineantly located, the construction activity around made the access difficult. Parking at the night behind the property is insecure.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - City View

water all over the floor cause of the toillet dont things its worth what i pay... imagine during the night when you put your feet in the water not nice and the sofa bed not confy at all not the first time i use one and no

the staff

• Family Suite with City View

Family suite has separate bedroom, but lacks any mirrors. A full mirror behind the door would be ideal The area itself lacks food locations. I don't recommend the McDonald's around the corner, unless you have 30mins to wait for your order, even for 2 coffees, and make sure you always check your order.

Great family suite. Staff is super helpful. Didn't try the onsite restaurant, but heard it was really good. Pool was great for the kids to unwind. Lots of towels. Microwave and fridge in room was very convenient

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Family Suite with City View

The family suit are available only on the second floor, close to very noisy mechanical unite, at 2:00 am i measured 67.5 decibels, The bathrooms very dirty, The bathtub rusty from the outside, and not really white from the inside, see pictures. Never go back there.

Kindness of the staff

• Family Suite with City View

Parking Space. There was someone that open its door on my new truck passenger door side. The van entered a space between me and the big vent of the building. It was there when I left. My husband had to move up the truck for me to get in. I called the office when I noticed. They said the van was gone. My brother who was also there. Left later than me and took a picture of the van. If the front desk would have answered my question I would have returned to talk to the owner of the dodge van. I still have picture of the van with the license.

Every thing was ok except parking Resto was good. For dinner

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - City View

The parking are not included in the price it's 15$/per day. It's stupid that you have to pay for the parking... there's like 4 different parking for the hotel but not near the hotel. It's cheap. We hear everything from the room, we could hear the people in the other room talking and walking in the hallway. I had the kitchenette in my room but I didn't have all the stuff you need in a kitchen to cook...

The view was pretty beautiful.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

Very evident that the hotel itself has seen better days. Water stains, dated wall paper and carpeting. Paint does not 'fix' everything.

The staff at the front desk are great. Anticipating a need and addressing them promptly. The views of the Rideau and parliament fantastic.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - City View

Robes were provided but no slippers. Pool was only open till 9pm or 9:30 pm on request.

Jonathan at the reception was excellent, we came in early and check in was not till 3pm but he was able to accommodate our request for an early check in despite it being busy with the winterlude festival. Complimentary water and coffee were available at the lobby. Room was very spacious especially with a toddler who wants to run around the place. The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• King Room - City View

Beautiful room with a view! Very comfy bed. Clean and fresh linen. The room is huge with a balcony. Walking distance to Ottawa; no need to drive or pay extra parking in downtown. Perfect location.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Balcony and River View

Parking was a bit of an issue but that may have been the timing. Plus paying extra for parking sucks.

Nice and quiet even with all the children booked in for winterlude. Great view. Smooth elevators.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• King Room with River View

The location is so convenient: Walking distance to History Museum and Ottawa downtown. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool is kept warm enough so little kids can feel ease.

• King Room - City View

Hearing noise from other rooms, no store available for snacks. The vending machines only took cash and had a limited number of drinks.

Great location and staff.

• King Room with River View

The bed sheet didn't cover the mattress. The shower curtain had pee stains on it beside the toilet. Overall the room wasn't really that clean.

Excellent customer service

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

There was an unpleasant odar in the room, I did not find the beds comfortable and there were pubic hairs in the tub that did not belong to any of us!!

The staff where helpful pleasant and accommodating and the breakfast was great!

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• King Room with River View

They are redoing the road and working on the hotel, so a little bit noisy, but you can survive. Got free parking because of work done.

Bed was confortable, location very good, breakfast acceptable, good Wi-Fi signal, good room size. Choose the river view. It should be much better in spring or summer.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Executive King Room

Parking was awful due to renovations. Pool area is dated and rough looking(paint peeling for example). Elevators are slow.

Room was clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• King Room - City View

All rooms have communication doors with the next ones. We can listen all conversations and noises off our rooms neigbors. I was between a couple and a room full off children the noise started at 7h00 a.m. with the children playing and finished after 2h00 a.m. (Noises from the couple next door)

The staff is realy attensious

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

There were almost no free tables at breakfast, we also had to search and ask for napkins. Construction is inconvenient but it is temporarily - so, it's okay. We had a feeling that the interior of the facility (incl. rooms, furniture and appliances) would need some major renovation / replacement as well for the price charged.

Reception staff very helpful. Location was good for the purpose of our trip.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• King Room with River View

i made 4 roomd for 2 nights.this hotel is disaster in every aspects. bad smells in room & bathroom. parking difficulties & bad lots environment by construction works. very poor breakfast. my experience : no room cleanning at 2nd dayfor 1(one)room without explanation.we appeal to reception guy but we supprised that he questioned me "are you clearning in your room everyday?"

very bad

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Executive King Room with River View

I was very disappointed that we were not told that the hotel was under renovations at the time we had booked. If I new this I would have never booked here.

Only the Breakfast

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Executive King Room with River View

Only downside was the hotel is under construction as r most things in Ottawa. Very difficult to drive around.

We had a lovely stay. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room had a fantastic view and was close enough to walk to the Parliament buildings.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

Pretty outdated but this is likely to change after renovation is completed. Very limited parking although we were lucky to secure a spot.

Friendly and very helpful staff. To our surprise breakfast was included (even though the reservation indicated that it wasn't). Parking was offered at no cost during our travel due to renovation work being carried out on the premises.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

Friendly, curteous service in English or French and I really appreciated the cleanliness of the facilities. Breakfast was included and when I lost my ticket they replaced it hassle free! The riverview is beautiful and a gorgeous park along the river makes for a wonderful walk.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

lots of construction. Parking was a problem. underside of car damaged leaving parking. halls were untidy. ac unit in room was noisy. no water in room.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

they are renovating the front look awful and when we booked we were not warned and we took family with us and we were not impressed. Had stayed before and it was a good stay.

clean room breakfast was great. very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Executive King Room

The hotel is under renovation process so it is quite noisy and dusty in the morning and there are not enough parking space for guests.

The location is very good. All the staff are good in customer services.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

The beds were only 54 inch not queen size and were very soft. They need to be replaced. Bathroom had stains on the walls and hadn't been completed cleaned.

the location for where we needed to be was very good

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• King Room - City View

Very old furniture, not suitable for a four stars hotel

The position is excellent. You just need to cross the bridge by walk and you are in the main zone of the city, in front of the Parliament

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - with City View

The property is undergoing remodeling which was not apparent from the booking site. There was a note in the elevator (after we had registered for the room), that workers would arrive at 7:30am and may be working outside the windows. This didn't happen, but would have been nice to know about before we committed to staying there!

The people were nice and the hotel was in a great location.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with River View

hotel was under construction which was not mentioned when booking,also $50.00 per night deposit which also is not mentioned,the hotel is dirty very dated complete waste of money ruined my holiday