Reviews of Cambridge Suites Hotel Halifax 3 stars

1583 Brunswick Street, Downtown Halifax, B3J 3P5 Halifax, Canada

#8 of 38 hotels in Halifax

• Queen Studio

The price included breakfast and while continental, it lacked imagination. Hot offerings were hard boiled egg and hash browns. Don’t know what you do with that combo. OK but could be better.

The roominess of the Suites made the hotel stay more enjoyable, very helpful staff especially Blair at the front desk who helped us map the sights. The lounge was pleasant and even enjoyed a dinner there.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds

Good location, very helpful staff who dealt with our requests efficiently. Breakfast was below expectations and could do with improvement to variety and late comers were not too happy with no topping up of empty trays.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

This hotel is not worth the price. We paid just over $260 for a (Sunday!)night for the one bedroom king suit. For that kind of money (one of the most expensive in the area), I expected a bit more pizazz. The room although clean was dated, the “harbour or city” view we were promised was actually a giant appartment building blocking everything, and the pull out sofa was very uncomfortable... Also I wouldnt recommend using it if you don’t have your tetanus shot, I actually got cut by a spring and it tore my skin! The breakfast was ok, I have had better and I’ve had worse, 5/10. The location was great it’s very central and you’re able to walk the whole downtown area from the hotel and the rooftop deck is very nice with a beautiful view. One last thing I have to mention that was odd was a motion sensor in the bedroom that was covered by a tissue when we entered the room, it was creepy and made us feel like we were on candid camera! Overall I would not stay at this hotel again unless it was atleast $100 cheaper per night!

The location is great, very central and you can walk the entire “downtown” area. The hotel was also very clean. The rooftop deck was beautiful, the view was great.

• Queen Studio

I thought it was quite pricey

The woman at the front desk was very helpful and kind, she seemed like she loved her job, which is something you dont see with some hotel chains

• Queen Studio

I came ti halifax for the bluenose marathon. It was close to everything especially the race location (as its basically on the start line). The hotel was very mindful for all the racers attending the bluenose matathon. They had a supper special the night before for carb loading and had free bottkes of water for racers post race :)

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Did not receive the room I had booked which resulted in a very uncomfortable night for the people I was with. There was no shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. And I was told I could not use my gift card towards my room.

Breakfast was really good and the staff were really nice. It was very clean and it was the perfect location

• Queen Studio

We could have been told about all the construction and blockage of sidewalks in the area

The room is large and very comfortable and bright . We had a lovely view of the park and hill. Fresh fruit on the breakfast buffet was a bonus !

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

I found the pillows to be a little too overstuffed, other than that, everything was great!

We were there for an appointment at the IWK, the hotel was very close to the hospital and easy to find! Parking was convenient and there were plenty of restaurants and amenities near by, and we could easily walk there! As a bonus, the view was great!

• Queen Studio

The hotel was too noisy, I was woke up several times with party goers. I will stay at the westin next time where there are less of this type of guests.

I liked the location, the hotel was close to great reataurants and shops. The hotel was clean, the bed was comfortable. Great breakfast.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

I loved everything about this hotel! There were some rowdy boys on our floor but that was in no way the hotel's fault, and the boys were quieted quickly when the front desk was called.

Location was fantastic, staff were all super friendly and eager to help in any way, beds and rooms were clean and comfortable.

The hotel rooms were smelly, almost of old stale smoked in rooms. It actually reminded us of staying in one of the motel/hotel rooms that you would find along a old stretch of highway. The carpets need to be replaced and likely should have the drapes and everything done as well. Time for a facelift!

Location was perfect.

• Queen Studio

The room was spacious and very clean. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Queen Studio

buffet breakfast lacks: no meat, only cold & very-hard boiled eggs, other egg types $). cold potatoes, high-school cafeteria style. no in-room safe. no sound-proofed door

• Queen Studio

High parking rates. You can hear all the noises coming from the hallways.

Very comfortable beds. Clean and modern bathrooms. Proximity to most sightseeing places.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Noises made by other guests especially who came back late at night or had parties in their rooms

Very confortable, friendly, relaxing, clean, and great location

• Queen Studio

People very loud in the hallway around 11pm on Monday evening. Hard to manage the climate control.

The restaurant staff on Monday Ap 16 evening were just lovely. Adapted order for my food intolerance and were just so positive and friendly. Made my evening.

That there was no pool , but the jaccuzzi made up for it :)

I had a birthday for my sister and there was cheese cake in the fridge for my sister and her friend saying happy birthday ❤️ And then we got a few free drinks down at the bar , it was lovely and I was so comfortable , thank you so much for such a perfect night !

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Bathtubs were small and so was the bathroom but were well layed out and updated. Parking was a bit of a hassle but we were using street parking. We stayed over St Patrick's day and there was also a hockey game close so it was quite busy and almost impossible to find parking until later in the evening. They have parking for the hotel but is an extra $20

Beds that you can sink down into and stay forever. Lots of big fluffy pillows and a large duvet. Mattress was super soft but supportive. Room had everything we required for our romantic staycation. Mini kitchen was very conveniently stocked with wine, corks and coffee or tea for the morning. No utensils or plates in the room but we called down and they had them sent up. Room was very clean, you can tell they take pride in the hotel and taking care of it. Everything is within walking distance, including pizza corner, which I recommend visiting

• Queen Studio

The TV cable is poor. There is no movie rental option or pay per view. The drain in the tub was cloggged. The walls are thin and the hallways are loud. People talking in the halls is very boomy and you can hear everything in your room.

The location was excellent. The room was clean and bright.

• Queen Studio

The bed could likely be rotated out for a new one, it wasn't awful but in need of changing. The hot part of the breakfast was cubed hash browns and hot hard boiled eggs.

The location. I was able to walk everywhere downtown will comfort. Near excellent local restaurants, great pubs, and attractions like the art gallery and Citadel. The room was very spacious and clean.

• Queen Studio

Was not informed that there was a fee for parking until check out when I saw it on my bill.

The bathroom fan actually worked. The last many hotels I've stayed at never had a working fan.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

I have stayed there before, several times. The only difficulty I always have happens when I first arrive. What do I do with my car before registering at your front desk?

The location is very good and the room was very comfortable.

• Queen Studio

Hearing a lot of people walking and talking in the halls up to 4am. It was a big week as March break and St Pattys day.

i liked being close to everything downtime. also the stafff are always very friendly and hotel is clean.

We loved everything!

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful and hotel was very clean and quiet. Close to all downtown events and we had a nice view from our room. Very pleased!

• Queen Studio

Not many options for breakfast, especially for those with food allergies. They had fruit, oatmeal ( with dairy), bread ( nothing gf) hard boiled eggs.

large room with a desk, couch and coffee table. The bed was comfortable. Nice view of Citadel hill.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Maybe the eggs could have been scrambled for a variety.

We were early but since our room was ready we were allowed to have it. There was a good breakfast, it was close to the places we went to. We did not ha a car so we had to walk everywhere.

• Queen Studio

pillows too damn fat, I can't sleep with my head at a 30°+ angle to the bed, had to put pillow case on a sofa pillow. how about one of the many pillows be a thin one? large dog barking several different times across the hall

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

I did not like tha only one occupant could park in the parking lot as my friend had to feed the parking meters all day.

I like that it was central to where my function was, and how great the rooms are.

• Queen Studio

The colour balance on the TV was so far off it was hard to watch and I could not figure out how to fix it on the TV or remote (which is usually not a difficult task). Not a big deal as we did not watch it much and we did not bother to ask for assisitance but you asked for feedback.

We chose this hotel based on its proximity to the Scotiabank Centre for USport basketball nationals. Not only could we walk there in 4 minutes, we could walk anywhere we needed to in downtown Halifax and did not need to taxi. So many restaurants and pubs close by. The continental breakfast included is one of the best I have experienced. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Would stay again.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

For the purpose of our stay( girls weekend) we were satisfied with the accommodations. A pool would have been nice but we did avail of the hot tub.

The staff were very cooperative & helpful. Continental Breakfast was adequate . Did not eat in the restaurant at any other time.

• Queen Studio

It was very noisy in the hallway late at night. The parking garage is hard to maneuver with a full size pickup truck. The room was clean but the furniture is very dated.

The bed was very comfortable. Location is great for gettting around the city. The staff were helpfull.

• Queen Studio

Having to leave so early in the morning. The bed was too comfy ...

Very comfortable beds. Staff were Very respectful! Traveling without the folks, enroute to meet them the next day, we were not questioned about our age and the reason for our stay. Arranging airport transportation went smoothly. Perfect stay

• Queen Studio

We were disturbed both nights with noise in hall outside our door for about an hour in middle of the night- around 3:00am- very loud and kept all awake. Called the desk, but did not hear of the issue being addressed. We were given credit for parking when we mentioned at check-out which we appreciated.

Enjoyed having ajoining room with our friends. Spacious rooms.

• Superior One-Bedroom King Suite

There really isn’t anything I would say we didn’t like!

When we first arrived we were a little nervous due to so many child being booked on our floor due to many hockey teams (young children) being around the city for minor hockey day, but they were great & our room was very quiet and the bed was so very comfortable. We went to the restaurant for some drinks and enjoyed the service immensely. The staff were very friendly and a great environment to just relax in. The room was small but had absolutely everything we needed, and the bed was extremely comfortable! In the morning we didn’t hear much noise which was shocking with the amount of children in the hotel. We did stay to enjoy the free breakfast which was small but it had enough choices to keep us very satisfied!

• Queen Studio

I was charged $22 for parking which I was not informed anywhere when booking that I would be charged. Nor was I told when I checked in. Also my check in bill and check out bill were different amounts. I’ve never paid parking at any hotel I’ve stayed before. Should not have to pay for parking!

Friendly front desk staff,

• Queen Studio

After arriving at our queen suite and finding no pullout sofa as was expected, we called the front desk. The clerk came up to the room with keys to a new room. We were upgraded to a king suite for the “inconvenience” of having to wait less than 5 minutes to switch rooms. I was very impressed and will definitely stay here on my next visit to Halifax.

• Queen Studio

breakfast was a bit lack luster, would like more options/ if im paying for the room i dont want to pay extra for bacon in the morning

very nice location in the citadel with some great views, dont forget trunks for the jacuzzi

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds

They had a major shortage of food for the breakfast buffet and could not keep up with the demand of the guests. We waited 20 minutes for fresh food and still didn't get more than a few hash browns.

• Queen Studio

Easier temperature control in the room.

I loved having access to a kitchenette.... There were lots of pillows for the bed and sofa bed....and the included breakfast is a huge bonus

• Queen Studio

between yelling outside after midnight a few times and hte wind blowing all evening things out of hotels control our night was restless. Next time we will ask for room not facing Brunswick street.

• Queen Studio

The queen bed and our pillows were so uncomfortable. This is the first time in years that I haven't been satisfied with a bed at a hotel. Unfortunately, unless I hear that they have new beds, I probably won't stay here again. Usually a comfy bed would be the highlight of my stay.

I wasn't expecting a counter with a sink in the room so that was a bonus. All in all great hotel.

• Queen Studio

The soft pillows The gross rusty tub The noisy shower head The fact that the tub did not drain.

The breakfast was good The bed was comfy The view

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Had pay for parking. It did not tell me that on the website. It was costly and added to our costs too much.I was Disappointed with that as it did change the great value at which we got for the hotel rate.

Friendly staff, great location,nice breakfast, clean environment and great service

• Queen Studio

Our tub didn’t drain and our toilet did not flush properly. Went to front desk twice where we were assured someone would be up promptly to fix it which didn’t happen. Also, the tv was broken.

Extremely comfy bed and great location.

• Queen Studio

Staff were helpful -when the power went out- they got the garage door opened quickly and when there was no open parking they took the car and parked it. The breakfast was good.

• Queen Studio

Parking is difficult. There are only a few spots outside the hotel and the underground parking is small. We had a small vehicle and felt cramped and were concerned with a larger vehicle hitting us.

The room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. Staff were friendly and professional!

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

There was a dog in the room beside us. It barked a couple of times throughout the night but nothing extreme. I have dogs so appreciate pet-friendly facilities, but maybe there could be a floor dedicated for animals and families with children.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

The fact that the suite only had one chair and no table to eat at. The parking charge was excessive and my booking by booking.com was not confirmed with the hotel reception, which meant I did not get the room I requested.

The room was very clean and the staff were very helpful.

• Queen Studio

There was a $200 deposit for my debt visa, on top of the room fee. I had the money to pay the deposit but if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have been staying at this hotel. And the queen bed seemed more like a double.

• Queen Studio

Lots of good places to eat nearby ( Thia place on Queen St is outstanding) and shopping on Spring Garden and Barrington. Fast check out and email receipt sent immediately. Professional staff and overall place is well run.

• Queen Studio

It was a little noisy on the 4th floor friday night . But we just thought someone was having a good time.

It was clean and close to where we were going.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

We had a suite with a king size bed which was separate from the living space. It was perfect for the occasion of my family getting together as we had a small kitchen, bar, table, sofa and chair. We had a lovely time and more than enough room to get together and hangout without anyone having to sit on a bed. It felt more like a small apartment and the price was amazing!

• Queen Studio

Everything was great! Great staff! Rooms were nice! Breakfast was even better then expected! Special shoutout to the bartender Thomas! Very very polite and a great server.

• Queen Studio

Continental breakfast was sub pair, hot plate food with hard boiled eggs. Definitely something that needs to be improved on. My stays at other hotels of the same class have had omelette stations and such, more of what I was expecting.

Everything was clean even the rarely used coffee machine in the room. Had an issue with the tub draining and the kitchenette sink as well, made note of it that morning and was fixed by the time we had returned.

• Queen Studio

Very disapointed because the restaurant was close for 3 days, nothing was told when booking. The last Day , on 28th, restaurant opened but on the menu, no steak available at 8.00 PM....

• Superior One-Bedroom King Suite

While putting my laptop in the night stand before we left the room I found garbage in it. We definitely didnt use that product so must have been the people before us.

I loved the location and the buffet breakfast was delicious.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

breakfast was not very good. We had a better at hotels that we spent less on. The boiled eggs were not even warm enough to melt butter and that was the only protein they had. hash browns were cold

the room was clean and large and the bed was very comfortable

• Queen Studio

Pillows were to fat, need two options Parking was full a few times Hard to park side by side

Breakfast was good Bed was comfy Nice and quiet Parking Inside is a plus

• Queen Studio

The bed did not meet expectations - mattress in need of replacement $20.00 parking - Could this be part of the over-all price?

that there was gluten-free toast available

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

We were located at the end of the hall, it was very noisy when people used the exit door to the stairs.

Beds were comfy with a variety of pillow types to choose from.

• Queen Studio

Large room, got upgraded to a junior suite at no additional cost to the low booking price. Comfortable lounge wuth basic menu for dinner needs. Decent complimentary continental breakfast.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Way to noisey was woke up both nights i stayed there at approx 3-30-4 AM both mornings by people hollering in the halls and when i told the guest service agents at the desk they rolled their eyes and didnt even applogize very unprofessional will not recommend this place to anyone.

The hot tub

• Queen Studio

Would be great if different types of pillows were offered. It would be nice if it had a pool on site

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable

• Queen Studio

Great location to take in the downtown nightlife. The friendly staff upgraded our room for free to a King Suite, which was a pleasant surprise! Will definitely be back

• Superior One-Bedroom King Suite

Dryer in the bathroom malfunctioned.

Our room was ready nice and early, we had previously booked the night before but a different room and we didn't have to wait to change rooms. Continental breakfast included. Coffee and tea and water in the lobby.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Room had no heat ! It was freezing . House keeping inturrupted me multiple times on check out day - before I made it out of bed and had plenty of time until noon . And my credit card was over charged ,when I asked at check in if any charges would be made {otherwise I’d use debit Or cash }and they said no !

Room was very nice , close to the downtown area ..walking distance to any bars and clubs ! Staff was friendly .

• Queen Studio

Very slow internet. Probably a bandwidth issue.

no hot breakfast over Christmas may have been difficult for families not a problem for us we didn't use service

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

Sadly the restaurant was closed over Christmas but thats understandable. Otherwise perfect.

We stayed for two nights including Christmas Eve and were thrilled to find a Christmas stocking at our door in the morning, in fact there were many down the hall. Nice touch!

• Queen Studio

The only improvement we would recommend is to offer a choice in the thickness of the pillows, although fat fluffy pillows may be the choice of most folks some of us prefer thinner ones (most hotels have both sizes on the bed)..

The hotel is at a great location. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Queen Studio

I didn't like how small the bathrooms were and you could see the dirt build up on the shower head ( a little CLR soak would clean that right up ) the fan /heat/air conditioning was noisy but bareable, there was no coffee cream or milk in the fridge to make coffee in the morning or night . The free breakfast was not that great . There was no meat option available ,a bagel slicer but no bagels , maybe looking in to getting a waffle maker like other locations would be a hit .

I love how fancy and modern it was to walk into . The rooms were nice , and the bed was comfy . It was located in a wonderful spot near lots of things you didn't need your car for . Love how there was under ground parking to keep my car warm . A nice hotel for couples or business people .

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

They had a Security gard and he looked like some criminal. We could barely whisper in the room without him knocking on our door. The rooms are NOT soundproof at all. He made us and other room guest feel unwelcomed. We got woken up around 7am by guest in the hallway, it sounded like they were in our room. The ice machine was 5 rooms away yet we could hear that loud and clear. The breakfast was horrible. Will not stay there again.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds

I can’t think of any negative, we’ll be back!

We were given an early check in, front of house staff were very friendly, helpful, had a sense of humour. This property is in a great location, you park your car and you can walk everywhere, which we love to do in Halifax. Another plus, the bathroom actually has a working fan, the mirror doesn’t fog up during your shower, as long as you remember to turn it on.

• Queen Studio

Parking was tight squeeze, not a lot of room to maneuver a larger vehicle. Also was $20 extra unless we wanted to try to park on the street or a few blocks away which wasn’t ideal. Parking should be included if you are a guest!

Staff were excellent! Very friendly !

• Superior One-Bedroom King Suite

staff were eager to please in spite of being exceptionally busy with a youth event. They were very accommodating for parking needs and extended stay as our event finished one hour after the checkout. Super staff! Great experience will return--love the suite---dishwasher, microwave, toaster and fridge and stove top- will come better prepared next time, but glad to have the extra space to entertain : )

The hotel was filled with young teenagers who ran the halls screaming at times, banging on peoples doors and very untamed. The next morning there was nowhere to sit for breakfast as they were everywhere, they should have had travellers in one section of the hotel away from all the kaos. I couldn't even sit down to have breakfast the next morning.

The suite was wonderfully spacious but somewhat dark and dingy in the living room area