Reviews of Best Western Plus Chocolate Lake Hotel - Halifax 3 stars

250 St. Margaret's Bay Road, B3N 1J4 Halifax, Canada

#17 of 38 hotels in Halifax

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

Bathroom is small but tubs are a perfect fit. Deep and molded for relaxing.

Breakfast was great but the view from the room was spectacular! This hotel is like entering from the city and only seeing country from your room. There really is a Chocolate Lake and you enjoy it the whole time.

The hotel was kind of hard to navigate through, a lot of doors and stairs. We usually get the best western jacuzzi rooms but they only had one in the whole hotel which was booked.

Beautiful location and very clean

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Ground Floor

Only thing is that the room we had had a smell of humidity, they did come to help remove the smell but it still was there

Location was great, the lake was peaceful overall great place to stay

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

ive always found a parking space, however this time i found finding a convenient space really challenging

beds are comfortable, hassle free check in, breakfast on the deck is great, and ive been to the bar a few times- staff is always friendly & chatty!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was a musky odor when we walked in. There was a fan working in the reception area, so they may have had some kind of water issue. The rooms on the lake have a fabulous view, otherwise you're looking at a busy road.

The staff was awesome; our remote control for the tv wasn't working, so the desk clerk came to give us new batteries. When that didn't work, she went and found a new remote, all of that with a smile and positive attitude. . She also handled our check-in very swiftly and efficiently. The breakfast buffet was very nice, overlooking the lake, with cutlery and dishes, no plastic or paper. There was a good variety of foods, with fresh oranges and apples.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The smoke detector went off after having a shower - not sure if it was affected by the steam or not. It was just a weird thing that happened. Did not detract from the stay.

The room was very clean. The breakfast was great. The video arcade was very unique and unusual but awesome. Just a great atmosphere. Would go back again.

• King Suite - Lake View

Discourage visitors to Chocolate Lake from tossing cans and bottles in lake. Have suggested to Hotel to put up signage and place receptacles around grounds.

Staff, food, location and comfort made our stay very enjoyable. This is why we have returned to this hotel and will again!

Only disappointment was that the hot tub was out of service for repairs.

Large room. Very comfortable king size bed. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choices. The view of chocolate lake while eating and from our room was gorgeous

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The Hot Tub was down for maintenance, but it happens.

Room was clean, good temperature, great lake view! It was easy to find all the areas of the hotel, like the pool and arcade room! Breakfast was amazing and had every option you can think of! I will be coming back and choosing Chocolate Lake for my stay every time I come to Halifax.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room could use a more comfy chair, like a couch or upholstered chair instead of the two upright ones provided.

The included breakfast was excellent, lots of choice, real cutlery. Loved the little kitchenette in the room - will definitely stay here when in town for a longer time.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were there for a rest. Had to leave at 430 am and all of a sudden there was lots of hammering and banging next door. Called front desk and basically said. they will be done soon. No offering of free drink or I am sorry. Not a fan of that

The food was amazing. Room was satisfactory

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room exceptionally hot. Tried to cool using air conditioner but that sounded like a cruise ship engine , it was so loud. Had advised we had 2 children with us ahead of time. Called room service for cot and none available. Room was very small for the price.

Crowded with kids running all over the place. As it was March Break which we didn’t know about. However kids running up and down the hallway was not appreciated. We were on the 8th floor.

The location was perfect for us. The food good and very clean tidy. Staff were on the grid lock of hotel guests.

What affected us was that my wife was at the hospital for medical reasons and we are from New Brunswick. My wife has a walker and is not able to get up off the toilet as they are very low compared to ours at home. In addition she was not able to take a shower as the shower is with a tub. When we were leaving I asked your receptionist if they have rooms with walk in showers and higher toilets and she said they did however there are only singe beds. I as well asked if you had hospital rates and she said you did however did not offer to discount my bill. Overall the stay was fine for me but not so much for my wife however next time I will know to ask for these in advance . There was no mention of these rooms as I went through booking .com

Everything was great other than a couple of things that affected us .

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I like the pool and I like that they had a game room. I liked that the weight room was open all the time so if me and my friend got board that's where we went. I like that the hotel was close to everything because I did not know my way around Halifax at all

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Too many kids unsupervised in the pool area and hot tub, requested a room on a lower floor and given one on the top floor. Also the hotel was under small renovation and nowhere was it posted when booking a room.

Property was on a lake and free parking ,also free breakfast and five minutes drive to downtown or three minutes to the Halifax shopping center

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Pet friendly room was a disappointing. Dirty rugs, yucky stuff stuck to walls, not very nice at all for $147 a night. Just because you travel with a pet doesn’t mean you should be in an old run down, yucky room

• King Suite - Lake View

The ONLY thing that wasn’t perfect was the wifi. We were only able to get it in certain parts of our room and it would come and go. But other than that everything was great.

We had an amazing sleep in the bed in our room and the soaker tub was beyond relaxing. The pool was great, breakfast was delicious and the staff was fantastic. We even got to meet Aero!

I had to wait around for someone to inspect my room before I could leave. The entire booking process was convoluted. For this reason, I will not be back. Too bad, I loved that arcade.

Breakfast was amazing. I discovered an arcade with old games like Donkey Kong near the pool. So cool.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My bed was caved and made it hard to get out of it. Maybe include directions on how to use the heat/air conditioner. Took a while to figure it out in the mean time it was quite toasty and uncomfortable. Would be better if there were screens on the window.

I liked the games room. Great addition like no other hotel i've been to. It was quiet and the restsurant there was fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere along with great staff!

I love the atmosphere when you walk in yhe lobby, the staff are so welcoming and the dog aero is so friendly! All around anazing hotel! I highly recommend .

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

There was a wedding party and several sports teams, so it was noisy. Young people were skateboarding on the pavement just below our room late at night, and several doors were left open to party. This wasn't the fault of the hotel and staff.

Free parking and breakfast...you can't beat that!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The heater smelled like smoke and there were fingerprints in the side of the armoire.

The vegetation pizza and the steak were excellent. Pool and arcade were a bonus. The view was very nice. The staff were excellent and very accommodating. Location was great.

Room heater noisy

The coffe was a little strong.The only thing i found was the room heater was noisy. We found the resturaunt to have very good food. We were glad there was a hot tub.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We loved the free breakfast but wished they had bacon! Lol

The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. My birthday was the day we stayed and we really enjoyed everything.We were going to go out somewhere for dinner but once we checked out the dining room we decided to stay in! It was a great choice. Food was great and waiter was very nice. I loved how every table was inviting to sit. The window seat are usually what I go for but the seats with cushions were so nice!

Carpet ripped and dirty in room, several runs on carpet. Small room with damp smell. Bed lumpy and uncomfortable. We checked out early morning to go home and sleep in our own bed

Hot tub and arcade a nice perk, breakfast was good

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

The wait for our lunch in the restaurant when we ordered sides and not meals. Morning breakfast could have had pancakes or waffles

I got in my room early

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was comfortable, quiet and had all that we needed. We were in Halifax to move family, it was a perfect place to retreat from the work and busyness at night. The breakfast was fabulous!! The staff were very friendly and sincere.

This hotel is gorgeous. The food in the restaurant was absolutely incredible. The ambiance, perfect. The staff was amazing and very friendly. Their dog Aero is a sweetheart. I definitely recommend this hotel. I'll definitely be returning. Also, the view of the lake was breathtaking.

Hallway smelled of cannabis. Charges at hotel were much more than the website indicated. Still waiting on this damage deposit to be refunded

Comfortable bed

My only problem this stay was the construction on St. Margaret's Bay road, which complicated my daily travel into town--a problem completely beyond the control of the hotel.

I have stayed there several times and find it value for money. It is easy to take the bus into town rather than contend with traffic or pay large amounts for downtown parking.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was noisy. Heater/ac unit wasn’t working properly. Cleaners made a lot of noise in the mornings cleaning other rooms And in the hallway.

I like the fact that it was close to the city.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing that we didn’t like. The only problem was due to roadworks which affected access to the hotel. This meant a bit of extra time and driving around to actually arrive. However, this was no fault of the hotel.

Everything was great in this hotel. The location beside the lake is beautiful. We stayed near Chocolate Lake 12 years ago with our children, and it was lovely to be back, this time in a hotel which was an improved experience.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The 9th floor needs screens on the windows. Was getting ready in the morning and a bird flew into my room. Was no hot water for the shower but hot water worked in the sink. Told a staff member at the desk and he told me it’s because everyone was using water at the same time, even though at 11:30pm the water was cold and at 7am the water was still cold. And finally rudely awaken by a fire alarm at around 7 and no one thought of mentioning what was going on.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was told I would have no problem staying the next night , I didn't book as I wasn't sure we were going to stay , so when I got there we did decide to stay the second night but was told there were no rooms?? Not impressed ! In hinde sight I should have booked both nights! also cpuldn't use CAA with Booking .com. I will never use them again!

• Deluxe Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Smelled of wet dog stains on curtains. Carpet was a mess Fridge didn’t work. Freezer melted and leaked all over my food. Had to throw out about $25 worth of fruit. Housekeeping was stingy with towels. Wish towels were available at pool. With 2 kids we went through a lot. Pricey for what we got. Won’t stay there again if I can help it. Would not recommend it to others.

Kitchenette Pool was nice.

Narrow hallways. Ackward set up of building...long walks to get to room and difficult to find room. Expected better room for the money! Also road work being done and extremely difficult to find hotel due to detour!!! No clear signage to hotel given substantial road work!!

On lake that was pretty.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

We thought it would be closer to downtown, found it a little difficult to navigate our way downtown.

Breakfasts were awesome, rooms very clean, excellent view of the lake from our room and the dining room.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The hotel was very nice except the floor we were on had a 3 stair step down and we were unable to use the luggage dolly to get our suitcases all the way to the room. Otherwise had a very nice stay in Halifax.

The staff was excellent very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

The amount charged at hotel was well above what I booked through Booking.com but lack of time meant I didn't have it checked.

Room with lake view and comfortable bed

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

Stayed 2 nights.Second night there was a wedding,we went out came back NO place to park.The man told us to park up close to the cement wall.Felt sorry if people came late to check in,cause NO place to park

Bed comfy,great breakfast

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

We stayed for 3 nights. For those with heavy luggage and weak knees, you might want to avoid the room we were out in. It was on the third floor in the east wing, and to get to our room, we had to use the elevator and then walk up 5 steps with our luggage. The staff did offer to help us with our luggage, though. The room was small, especially the bathroom. Carpet was old and tired looking. Breakfast was limited in variety, with little change in the 3 days we were there. The windows could not be opened and the room felt stuffy at times..

Staff were friendly and helpful. Location was useful for us to travel to attractions in the area.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Quite a distance from the main attractions in Halifax. We did walk most of the time and the bus stop was close enough but for less mobile people the distance would be a problem.

Bed was very comfortable and breakfast provided was a good start to the morning- lovely view of Chocolate Lake from dining area.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Ground Floor

The closet door was a slider and could not be opened fully. The tub area had mildew and the room needed to be updated. Paid too much for too little.

Only the breakfast.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Ground Floor

Room had smell that cause us to request another room after checking two more rooms found one. Breakfast free can see why French toast so hard could not cut, seem like made night before or left over from previous day.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

Old hotel. Room cold could not adjust temp. Went up elevator but then down four steps to room level. Very strange layout all around. Odd area of town

Bed was comfy. Quiet room.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Like having 2 bedside tables and lamps.

Great staff, pleasant view of the lake, good food and a delightful introduction to friendly Nova Scotia. Will definitely be returning.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

Hotel was tired and dirty, bathroom was small and dark, took elevator to 2nd floor with cart and then had to abandon cart because there was 6 steps to hall with room. carpets are stained and need to be replaced, large dog resides behind check in counter, dogs allowed in hotel which contribute to smelly stained hall carpet, steady stream of people walking dogs by lake to relieve themselves, staff in restaurant said we would have to wait 45 minutes for food because they had taken a large order before us. Bar staff was excellent, good service and prompt food delivery Parking is not enough, especially when they are hosting weddings

Location and view of small lake, bar staff was excellent, good service, good food

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel was fine. It suffered twice from interruptions to the water supply, which was inconvenient but not their fault. Breakfast was unimaginative, but that could be Canada.

Getting into downtown Halifax from the hotel was challenging. Lots of traffic and construction. The breakfast was okay but eating on the deck overlooking the beautiful lake made up for any deficiencies. The dinner was gourmet! It hard to regulate the air I the room but that applies to many hotels. They a great game room with many (even antique) pinball machines.

The abundance of fruit, yogurt and whole cereals were delicious. There was something for everyone in our party: even those with special needs. The children loved the pool and games room. Access to the lake is a real bonus.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lots of vegetarian breakfast options for Bkfst which is the only meal eaten there - great morning coffee . Easy access to our wedding venue with a/v taxis !! Also an upgrade to our room upon arrival !!

Room very small for a king room. Didn't like the fact that dogs could stay everywhere. A dog has been in our room 10 days before us and room still had dog odour. Parking was terrible!!

There was some confusion about the fact that we were traveling with a pet, even though we clearly noted that under “special requests” when we booked. This is now the second property we’ve dealt with through booking.com that has separate room listings for "pet-friendly rooms". They are often at the bottom of a rather long page, so if you are traveling with a pet be sure to check all available rooms. While it was a bit nerve-wracking to face the prospect of not having accommodations in an unfamiliar city, they ultimately fixed us up with a nice room.

We liked this hotel very much. It had all kinds of amenities/facilities for guests and provided everyone with a full, hot breakfast every morning. It was only a short drive from downtown, in a very quiet neighborhood. While it certainly was not cheap, it was much more reasonable than the places we looked at downtown.

Location could have been better and it was difficult to find because of all the detours to the area.

The staff was great - especially Roy. The room was nice and quite clean. Breakfast was good and the restaurant was good also for dinner. Have no complaints.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Maybe because we were there on Labour Day weekend, or the fact that it was Friday and Saturday night and there were weddings going on both nights - (had to keep windows shut and A/C on - to keep the noise out), but there was not enough parking for all hotel guests.

Beautiful view of the lake, very peaceful, location excellent (close to downtown). Full breakfast, with nice patio overlooking lake. Fitness centre and pool were great to have. There was even a video games room for kids.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This location was advertised with 'salt water pool - indoor' - this was one of the reasons for choosing this location as my husband has lung issues - disappointment to hear that in fact it was not 'salt water' - therefore we were unable to use it.

Great location, everything in the room was excellent - breakfast was great - maybe add a lactose free yogurt but nice to see Almond milk as an option.

• King Suite - Lake View

Hotel is showing it's age. Carpeting and furnishings in room could stand to be changed. Fresh paint job would also make it look cleaner. Place has lots of potential.

The room #315 had a great view. Fireplace was a bonus. Bed, linens , and towels were very nice. Breakfast was always well organized and things replenished quickly. Lots of choices and plentiful. . Pool and amenities were good. Location and surrounding area was nice and quiet. Loved Aero the chocolate Lab. Hotel Lobby was comfortable and inviting. Food at the Lakeside Restaurant was very good and the price were reasonable. Also opened late.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The last time I had stayed here with my boyfriend, we were put on a floor with children running up and down the halls until 11. Had to call the front desk to get them to talk to the kids and then the kids started back up about 15 minutes later. Wasn't a very good night. The breakfast was cold this stay & my friends and I had went around 9.

The bed was very comfortable. My family and I went for dinner in the restaurant & the waiter was absolutely amazing, very polite, happy and looked like he really wanted to be there. Food we ordered was great as well!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Would have liked a room with a view of the lake as we were staying 3 nights, but was told when we requested this that this was not available through booking.com.

The free breakfast was very good and many choices Enjoyed the outdoor sitting area of restaurant which had a view of the lake. The food at the restaurant was good. The chocolate lab dog who greeted us at reception was a nice touch.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

Not the hotels fault, but the road it's on was being reconstructed at the time (as was most of Halifax) so getting in and out was a bit of a challenge.

Excellent location right on the lake. Front desk help was efficient and welcoming. Nice restaurant in the hotel, food was quite good and reasonable. Room itself was large, clean and bright, overlooking the lake. Beds were very comfortable. All staff we encountered were excellent, going all out to help us enjoy our stay.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The breakfast is AWESOME. I liked everything except the fact that my grandchildren had to sleep on the floor because no cots were allowed. We were a large group of 10 so no matter how you divided it between 2 rooms someone had to sleep on the floor but they provided extra pillows and blankets and the kids didn't seem to mind too much

• King Suite - Lake View

Called from airport to see when I could check in. Was told 1. Room was not ready until 5. Transit was down due to construction on the road. So had to taxi into town everyday costing 20/ trip. Room was filthy, busted fan in washroom, they never stocked actual towels. Always gave us the small towels. Charged my credit card after I specified I was going to pay debit. Paid for a lake view. Yet I was looking at a parking lot. I would never go back hated the stay in fact we changed to an air bnb. Because it was so bad. Your rating said my rating was a 3.8. I would give it a 1

good selection for breakfast

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was cramped & difficult to traverse. Needed updating.

Desk staff was patient & very knowledgeable. Breakfast was satisfactory. Mice to have guest laundry.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Area surrounding the hotel was not exciting and construction slowed our travel time.

Restaurant was excellent. View of the lake was great. Breakfast was satisfactiry. Staff was nice and friendly.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Pool was over chlorinated. The parking at this hotel is ridiculous, there was never enough for all the guests. Everyone just illegally parks everywhere. haha

This was our second stay here and this stay was better than our first. Beds were very comfortable, rooms had mini fridges, good breakfast, the lake was lovely!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We've got a good value for money spent.

We like facilities overall, pool, location. The room was very clean, towels very changed regularly. Breakfast were quiet good, coffee very good. The staff was very helpful and pleasant.

• Economy Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Something small...Adirondack chairs placed around Chocolate Lake frontage would be conducive to relaxed reading. Our room had an adjoining room door. It allowed us to hear the guests on the other side of the door when our TV wasn't on. Booking.com price for flexible cancellation was the same as the Best Western website.

Our pet was welcomed at no charge. There are 24 pet friendly rooms. The resident chocolate lab is now Aero, who is 8 months old. He is almost always behind the front desk unless one of the desk personnel is walking or exercising him. Our room was a single queen bed with a great design that included a kitchenette (Canadian style?). Dishes, toaster, electric water kettle and great counter space to produce lunches and snacks. Good sized fridge and adequate microwave. Great sized table with two comfortable chairs. Putting paper doilies under the glasses next to the ice bucket is genius. Feel pampered! Whenever we asked for help the speed was remarkable! Approach the front desk and you are their priority. Chocolate Lake is a great addition to the property. Picnic tables are placed around the lakefront. Although we did not use it there was a large electronic game room near the indoor pool. Breakfast was wonderful...an abundance of the predictable, but the nicest part was the unpredictable...yogurt, yes, but 4 toppings? Yay! Halifax is on Atlantic time and visitors are varied. That may be the reason for an extended time to visit the buffet. Check out is noon...lovely! Due to construction (August 2017) the rotary to the hotel can be intimidating. Ignore the closed sign and note that it is open to the hotel. 4 miles away from the Halifax waterfront. Best parking rate is at the casino ($3/hour) We understand that a $15 spend at the casino will validate your parking ticket.

Perhaps, a canoe or kayak made available by the hotel to go out on the lake. Perhaps, transportation to downtown Halifax to explore.

Breakfast was included. It was a hot and cold buffet. As well, there is a lake behind the hotel (Chocolate Lake) that you can swim in or sit by. It is beautiful and peaceful. The lake made the stay wonderful. The staff were friendly.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Lake View

The room is a bit small and the air conditioner is too close to the bed. With the air conditioner turning off, it is quite hot at night.

Friendly staff. A cute hotel dog. Nice location, including a nice lake, good restaurants and a big shopping mall. Nice breakfast.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Pool area was filthy. Shorted on towels every day. Parking was a nightmare. 2 of our 3 days parking was an issue. I suspect they don't have enough parking for all the rooms. We saw a rat on the patio one night. The front desk staff was either amazing or super cranky. The restaurant& lounge closed way too early considering there it's nothing else in the area!

Good breakfast included. Beds were comfortable. They were great with early check in and let us store our baggage. Aero the dog is the sweetest.

More parking.

The kids LOVED Aero, the hotel's canine ambassador. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dinner at the hotel restaurant. 10 of us dined an we all enjoyed our meal immensely. Loved the free parking, lake view, WiFi and included breakfast.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Dining area for breakfast was large and offered a great patio overlooking the water. The staff were very nice and accommodating. The games rooms, pool and hot tub were a great spot to spend our downtime. We LOVED Aero, the chocolate lab on site. He was great :)

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast mediocre (e.g. limited choice of teas) They ran out of orange juice and didn't notice that for a while and waitress, in her haste, took away my unopened yoghurt. What was good was that they had different types of milk (regular, skimmed, almond, soy milk).

Excellent location (close to downtown Halifax and less than half an hour away from airport), excellent dinner in hotel restaurant (e.g. the scallops) , beautiful view, friendly staff

• Economy Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This is beyond the hotel's control so please don't take it out on the concierge. The city of Halifax has decided to replace the LNG lines in the area around where the hotel is situated. If you don't have a car then you have to walk down the hill to the bus station or over to the mall. Taxis aren't cheap from the hotel to the downtown.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. The concierge were personable, professional and handled any problems with ease and efficiency. The cleaning staff kept things ship shape and the folks in the grill room kept me fed. I have a policy: I work and they work. Although I'm a customer it doesn't give me the right to treat the staff like they're my servants. I prefer developing a personal relationship as much as is possible in the time I'm there. Treat the staff with courtesy and your problems will be handled to everyone's satisfaction.