Reviews of Comfort Inn Thunder Bay 3 stars

660 West Arthur Street, P7E 5R8 Thunder Bay, Canada

#13 of 27 hotels in Thunder Bay

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Part of trip north to celebration our wedding anniversary
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Being Seniors we missed the elevator. Having heavy luggage and being on the 2nd floor.

The beds were really comfy and the room pleasant. Breakfast had a good selection and the coffee better than most.

I wouldn't choose this hotel next time
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Heating system is old and doesn't regulate temperature properly. The room was not clean enough , the breakfast is very poor

It is easy to get from highway 1. There is a mall near by you can by food , etc

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Just ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Key insert reader was a mess right from the biginning of our stay. We had to go to the front reception all the time whenever we tries to get in the room after going out. Wash room was just clean looking. It wasn't clean enough as compared to other hotels.

Bed was so comfy that it was easy to falls asleep. Breakfast was also good

Clean and very comfortable 😊
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The outside was drab and dated

Yes, the outside of the motel, scared us a little, it looked dated and old but the inside was very nice and very comfortable😊 Don’t let the outside scare you away, the beds were very comfortable and the whole hotel was very clean

Breakfast was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Entry doors were very dirty, overall appearance of building outside needs a facelift, my nine year old grandson took notice to it looking a little run down. We stayed in four different hotels over the week and this was the most expensive and the least appealing.

Breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Handy location. Nothing fancy but I would stay there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our room smelled a bit musty when we initially entered and the sink was clogged but that is an easy fix.

It was fine and met our needs. The staff were very nice and there were a few restaurants within a very short walking distance. The breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Overnight in Thunder Bay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Other guests smoking outside beside no smoking sign

Pet friendly ground floor with sliding glass door onto lawn for pet, location close to restaurants, gas and grocery stores, close to local dog park

Everything was excellent and a good location right on the...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was excellent and a good location right on the highway. Very clean and easy to find food chains and gas stations on the same road. Perfect for our one night stay while traveling to Alberta. I was a bit hesitant because our stay at another location comfort inn the night before was uncomfortable ( it was smoky and late night crowd was very noisy) but this motel beat the stay before and after.

Choose another hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Although it is a non-smoking hotel, posted on every door, the hallway was badly smelling of cigarette smoke. The solution proposed by the hotel staff was to spray the room with air freshener. Old smelling room, shower drain not working properly.

Pet friendly without extra charge.

Ground floor access from the room to your vehicle makes loading and unloading an easy job
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I thought I had booked a ground floor room, only to receive an email saying it was going to be $20 to upgrade to a ground floor room so that I could have access from car to room via the patio doors. I then called the number in the reference email (quickest I could find) thinking I was calling the hotel, and then didn't confirm who I was talking to - anyhow, I called to book a second night in same room if I could. Not realizing I was talking to Romeo at some far off call centre, who was really kind of snotty about the fact that I had used booking.com for the first night booking. And then when I got to the hotel and was dealing with the front desk people they got snotty with me that I didn't call the hotel directly instead of dealing with Romeo at the call centre. LOL. I give up with whom I should be dealing with LOL.

See Comfort Inn Swift Current location. Same applies with respect to bathroom, size of room, overall cleanliness (I still take a Lysol to the usual touchable surfaces, particularly the remote). On the way out of town, I stopped at Hillcrest Park to get a good view of The Sleeping Giant. Only 11 minutes from the hotel, and after getting a wonderful view of the giant, it's a quick drive to get back onto 17 east. Good location for an overnight stop or 2 - good restaurants within walking distance, and a Shoppers Drug Mart is steps away.

not enjoyable because of the smell.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

smell cigarette and could not remove the smell and was worst when starting air conditioning. I could not sleep with that smell.

staff was excellent and friendly breakfast was excellent.

Below-average and not worth the money.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Too many things wrong with this Comfort Inn. Been to other ones that were good, but this was extremely below par. The carpet was dirty, smelled like cigarettes in our non-smoking room. The room was very dim. There were bugs in the room, spider webs, the beds were small (feet were going over the bedside), the digital clock didn't work (wouldn't even show the time), there's not even a gym, and they overcharged us for the below-quality service and amenities we received. The check-out guy was also rude, adding to the already ruined experience.

Breakfast was average, check-in lady and chef was nice.

I like the hote and will certainly use it again.
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

No television guide in the room and the tv channels not showing so a bit difficult to navigate the channels

The bed was very comfortable, room was clean and hotel well situated for restaurants

1. We really appreciated how the staff quickly changed the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

First we were given a smoking room when we were expecting to have a no smoking room.

1. We really appreciated how the staff quickly changed the room from smoking to no smoking. 2. We appreciated the breakfast we were served.

Dirty and overpriced
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Dirty! Strong chlorine smell on a stairway. No elevator. Dirty room, dirty windows, dirty bathroom, dirty tables in the "restaurant", dirty high chair for babies. Squeaky loud vent in the bathroom - I wish I could add video here, it was hilarious. Noisy air conditioner. Poor breakfast: undercooked potato with some rubber meat imitation. "Restaurant" staff didn't wash their hands after sweeping the floor. Over-over-priced BTW, did I say it was dirty?

Hotel staff - ok... Check-in, checkout - quick, no issues. Partly but still renovated room Wifi was slow but at least it was working. Beautiful nature around Thunder Bay, clean and fresh air

The hotel does not have elevator.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel does not have elevator. Since we had some luggage, it was hard to take them upstairs. We requested ground floor, thus we have to pay extra money.

Perfect road trip stop
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The view from our window faced a monument place. There was tomb stones lined up in the parking lot parallel to our room

The mattress was perfect, room temperature was excellent and the hotel was pet friendly

it was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

just the bed smelled like body order

Bed were comfortable, but you can smell body order, but could use a new beds and new bath tubs, maybe carpet wash the rugs.

The debit was not working the key did not work the first...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The debit was not working the key did not work the first time the second key worked and the room was occupied way over priced compared to similar places out dated noisy heater that had a disgusting filter. You suck

For value you can’t complain but for myself I will be staying somewhere else next time .
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

Tv service was not the greatest not the best selection of channels, took a ground floor room with patio ( do to mobility issues after hospital visit) to have a parking spot beside my room to acesss my vehicle better. Then having to park several spots away from my room so that did not work out at all. Only to find out it doesn’t work that way parking lot is a free for all. Felt very frustrated after that .

It was adequate
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was supposed to be a shuttle to the airport and staff said they didn’t have a shuttle and the they were not responsible for Booking.com listing that there was one -I asked if we could park our vehicle there for the duration of our stay as we are staying there again when we return from our holiday but no one contacted me prior to our holiday -we ended up parking our vehicle at the airport as they didn’t have a shuttle -I was disappointed that no one contacted me prior to staying there

Staff was very helpful and room was nice

Adequate for our needs
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Beds were uncomfortable, place could have been cleaner especially bathroom, tv didn't work, and fan ran all the time super loud.

Close to where we needed to be, breakfast bar was nice with hot food other than waffles.

Not comment
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My car was broken into at night and it was sitting right out front where the person at the front desk could see it. I was moving to Alberta and had alot of important things in my car and it was all gone.my laptop,gas can my paperwork for new house. My linkes for hook up to internet. Things for my cat. Apples granola bars everythng in my car was gone. And it was right out front where the desk clerk could see it. not impressed staff should be more alert. Or the person at the desk didn't want to involved

We were very happy when we noticed a Toronto Maple Leafs...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were very happy when we noticed a Toronto Maple Leafs shirt was left behind calling 5 days later not thinking it would be still there It was tytyty

A good choice in Thunder Bay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

This hotel’s exterior property could be better maintained. Breakfast was poorer quality than in the past. Those “fried” eggs!!

The interior of this property is attractive and clean and staff have always been very helpful and pleasant. The room was comfortable and well furnished. There were numerous breakfast choices but the microwaved “fried eggs” should definitely be scrapped. There are restaurants nearby within walking distance.

TRIP PURPOSE FULFILLING HOTEL STAY NOT SO
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds with Patio - Non-Smoking

THE ROOM WAS MUSTY AND SMALL AND I HAD UP GRADE POOR VALUE FOR WHAT THE FEE WAS. IT WAS A PATIO ROOM NO PATIO SECOND MORNING MADE UP ONE BED NOT THE OTHER IT WAS MY FIRST TRIP TO TB I WILL NOT STAY

Did not have breakfast this time;
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Did not have breakfast this time; was catching an early plane. But before the breakfast was by far the best I have ever had at a hotel of this level.

Comfortable and Clean
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The facility has two floors but no elevator, not an issue for me but it might be for others. The blackout curtains were the only window coverings which meant you had the choice of no light or no privacy. My room backed onto another hotel that seemed to be home to local tradesmen working in the area.

I have to say the bed and pillow were among the most comfortable I've slept in at a hotel. The room was very clean and it appeared to have been recently updated.

4.0
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

no elevator. 2 elderly people with 2 elderly dogs who can't climb stairs. we were on the second floor. just plain stupid for a pet friendly hotel. room smelled unpleasantly

The beds and pillows are very good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel was expensive for a Comfort Inn in Thunder Bay, especially for being quite a bit out of the city.

The beds and pillows are very good. The breakfast had a good variety and the food quality was good.

Overall nice place but could use a little updating in the room I was in
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

The parking isn't very good. Some vehicles taking up 3 or 4 spaces by parking across the spaces

Quiet and clean. Only thing was room had a musty smell when I went into it.

Our experience at the comfort Inn in thunder bay ontario
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

From the parking lot hard to get a walker up as there was no ramp had to through main doors and down the inside hallway

The staff were very courteous and answered all of our considers

Great until the barking dog ruined it. 😥
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything was amazing. Sadly the room next door had a dog that barked non stop early in the morning. There should be a rule that a dog cannot be left alone in a room. I have a dog and know that they will bark of the owner leaves

Would never stay there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Had a negative experience with older lady when I checked in. Was asked for my credit card to cover incidentals. When I accessed the wifi I had to answer some questions concerning my experience at the inn. I had to go thru the same questions the second day. One of the questions had a negative answer and received a confrontational phone call from the lady who checked me in. Faucet for the bath tub did not work very well and had a luke warm shower.

Breakfast was good. Bed was comfortable.

Loved four pillows on bed, staff great,came and fix toilet...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Baby whining/crying in adjoining room,literally All Night. Rooms not too sound proof.

Loved four pillows on bed, staff great,came and fix toilet and tv cord

Location to highway.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room smelled badly of smoke. Unfriendly front desk staff. Poor breakfast is very small room. Request second floor room, was given ground floor.

Location to highway.

The location was very good.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Keeping in mind that the hotel is a heritage building.The rooms still require some updating. The rooms were tired looking.

The location was very good. I had a room looking over the waterfront.The free breakfast with the room had lots of selection to meet my gluten-free and lactose-free diet.

Overall it was unsatisfactory because of the parking isse and failure to provide a ground floor room
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was a large truck in the one disabled parking spot, with no disabled parking permit. My elderly mother needed that spot - she has a permit. The front desk attendant, Valerie, was helpful, providing us with her parking spot. However, I wish she had called the truck owner, which is what the police suggested when I contacted them. Also, the staff should be checking that only permitted vehicles are in that one disabled spot. I had requested a ground floor, which was not provided. The hotel said they could not read this request on booking.com until I had checked in. The hotel helped carry our bags up and down but the stairs were a real problem for my mother.

location, bedding

Bed was very comfortable, felt very clean.
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

Carpet was soiled floor in bathroom was dirty in corners.

Bed was very comfortable, felt very clean. Nice bathtub and furnishings in room . Really liked patio doors to our room ( we were on ground floor.

Non-smoking wreaked with smoke smell
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

The room wreaked with smoke like someone had been chain smoking in there for a week. They tried to cover it up by leaving the A/C on high and the bathroom fan running. We opened the door to the outside for several hours (bugs and all) and it did not get any better. We talked to the desk and they had no other room available. After driving for 10 hours one does not feel like checking for other hotels in the area. Housekeeping should identify these rooms during the stay and the smokers should be charged the $250 fine.

The stay would have been enjoyable except for the disgusting smoke smell in the room.

Disgusting!!!!!!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was so much white hair on the carpet. Balls of it- you could tell it wasn't vacuumed. The guests before us must have had a dog and they definitely didn't vacuum after they left

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Stay in Thunder Bay, Ontario
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

When we booked our reservation through Booking.com and asked for a first floor room, the staff told us that Booking.com failed to include that information when Booking.com transferred the reservation to the property. The property has no elevator, so it was difficult for my wife and mother-in-law to go up to the second floor. My wife had recent surgery and my mother-in-law is 89 years old.

Overall, the room and b breakfast were quite good. We slept well.

Excellent breakfasts.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Beside a store selling headstones. Our hotel view was headstones (Picture included). Was woken up by loud guests, that were a floor below us. The phone didn't work.

Excellent breakfasts. Clean. Friendly staff. Close drive to downtown.

Okay, but nothing special
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Some areas are beginning to show their age. The tub in my room was damaged. In an attempt to cover-up the problem, a suction-cup mat was placed in the tub. It was not clean, leading to an unpleasant mildew smell.

Last time we stayed at this hotel we had a regular room (two...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Last time we stayed at this hotel we had a regular room (two double beds). It was comfortable and we had no complaints but this time we received a free upgrade to a suite with a separate bedroom and a king sized bed. It was awesome! Staff were very friendly and easy to talk to, and the free continental breakfast was terrific. This hotel is right beside the hospital where I had an appointment so it was very handy not to have to worry about traffic making me late.

Great stay

Can't think of anything

Clean room, scrambled eggs were great but would have preferred bacon rather than sausage paddies. Otherwise breakfast was very good with lots of choiced

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Not the standards I expected...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

-Cleanliness (stains on bed covers and towels, hair on vanity) -Renovations are poorly made, does not match "Comfort Inn's" standards -Extra charge of $20 for ground floor room without mentioning it on the phone when called to confirm reservation. -Breakfast (bagels had mold)

-Friendly and polite desk staff -Courtesy call by front desk to see if we needed anything

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Overall it was comfortable and a good experience.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I did not like the fact that when I booked online my rate was one price and when I had to extend my stay I was told that the rate had to go up $4.00. When asked if it was because I had originally booked online and I was told no, that the price goes up now and again for no reason. I understand that I had to extend my stay a couple of times but I don't think I should have had to go back online to get the deal I got originally. Did not like the ham at breakfast, it dries out and was like the sole of a shoe. Stick with the sausage patties.

The cleaning, breakfast and check in staff were very helpful and courteous.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

NOT HAPPY
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I did not like that I was not refunded for some of my money You ask why the drain in th tub was plugged water would not drain so had a shower with water about 6 " deep I spook to the front deck as I check out all they said was ok thank u

I like the location and most of the staff

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Comfy stay in Thunder Bay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No room service, after long days of work it would have been nice to have. However the microwave and fridge were handy if you didn't feel like eating out.

The breakfast was so convenient, got my day off to a great start each morning. The cinnamon maple waffles were fantastic! Staff were all very nice. Convenient location, close to airport, restaurants and some shopping.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Booking with booking.com won't get you the room you want at the Comfort Inn Thunder Bay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I asked for a room with outdoor access. When I got there I was told "No, not at that rate like that you won't!" Just because I booked with booking.com and saved $20 on the room I couldn't get the room I requested. I was put on the 2nd floor. I will never stay at the Thunder Bay comfort inn again!!!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Bed was comfy.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The booking.com hotel confirmation did not go through. I would book this hotel again but I would not use this site to do it.

Bed was comfy. Room was very clean.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Short stay
    • Standard King Room - Upper Floor/Non-Smoking

It's a pet friendly hotel in this case if your alleargies are a concern I would advise stay away As they say first impression counts and unfortunately when you step into the elevator the dirty old floor carpet did not seem appealing

Hot breakfast unlike other better rated hotels but they do not have scrambled eggs

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

A phone directly to taxi cab company.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room smell was like sweat which seemed to stick to the linens. I had to request for a room spray to keep the smell away. Can't transfer to another room as it was apparently fully booked but not a lot of cars around :-(

A phone directly to taxi cab company.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Very good value.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bathtub had not been cleaned, likely due to cleaning staff work overload. They were still cleaning at 3:30 pm.

It was quiet, comfortable, and breakfast was delicious. The hotel and our room was very conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

The beds were hard

The beds were hard

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Exactly what I wanted for this trip.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds with Patio - Non-Smoking

Location was excellent and the room was exactly as expected. The price is right for the property.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Great breakfast and comfortable room.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great breakfast and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Very clean and the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Very clean and the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Great value
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Clean, good location, nice staff

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Clean
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Dingy. Industrial area. Many construction workers stay at this property. People do not observe the no-smoking rules.

Clean

They gave my room away.

The lady at the front desk gave my room away so I had to find a different hotel!

Nice to have breakfast.
    • Standard Queen Room - Ground Floor/Non-Smoking

We were in first floor with outside door and of course smokers are outside and you could hear them.

Nice to have breakfast.

Convenient location

Close to airport

Not worth the money charged
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

if the bed sheets are changed after every customer leaves. the damp smell in the room

The staff was good.

Pleasant stay.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds with Patio - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff and a good breakfast.Clean rooms and hotel.good visible parking area.

It was terrific
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was super clean and a hot breakfast was available.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Staff.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Air conditioner unit was broken. Made it an uncomfortable sleep.

Staff. Hot breakfast. Location.

staff are very nice

staff are very nice

No airport shuttle

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Pleasant

No lift

Location and cleanliness

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Coffee pot in room but no coffee

nice clean room, with everything you need
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the mattress is ok but can be more comfortable

nice clean room, with everything you need

Will come back!

The banging entrance/ exit door beside rm # 127

Breakfast lady always has a smile and happy to see you again!

Nice stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Can't remember that was 3 hotels ago.

Location was great. Staff were very helpful.