Reviews of Comfort Inn Waterloo 3 stars

190 Weber Street North, N2J 3H4 Waterloo, Canada

#9 of 15 hotels in Waterloo

Satisfactory stay. Will come back again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom lighting could have been better.

Nice place without frills. The location is great, especially for those who wish to visit the universities in Waterloo. Close to eating joints as well as Walmart. Internet connectivity and Air Conditioning were very good. Bed was very comfortable.

Great stay !
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lack of chair in the room

The room was clean, the fridge, the micro-wave oven and the fact that I can stay with my dog, and the free coffé in the lobby

Lovely weekend
    • Queen Room

We are here for a local wedding. The hotel is 3 blocks from our friends house. We had breakfast at Angel's (attached to the hotel). A lovely weekend.

Convenience location for my overnight stay but not really worth the cost.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The building was a little run down. Compared to many other hotels I have stayed in it just didn't seem like it was worth the cost. I feel like I overpaid by at least $50. My guess is that they are able to charge as much as they do because there really isn't any competition from other hotels.

Easy access to the rooms because of only two floors. Good location close to restaurants and grocery stores.

Stress free and relaxing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing I didn’t like

This is a fabulous spot I had to pick my daughter up from university (we live 9 hrs north ) I’ve stayed in some high end hotels before but they were overrated so I wanted to try something else I got a great deal on the room and I’m so happy I did the location is perfect a great restaurant right there at the hotel as well . It is so clean the stairs , rooms, lobby all spotless and the staff is so awesome I’ll definitely be staying there every time I goto Waterloo :)

Excellent value for a traveller would definitely recommend the hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Really no significant criticism. Wallpaper in bathroom had some apparently permanent stains but not a big deal.

Staff were welcoming and helpful. Room was pleasant, comfortable, especially nice duvets and lots of luxurious pillows. Attached restaurant excellent for breakfast - fresh fruit cup was genuinely fresh had great variety of fruit. Location of hotel is easy to access for a traveller.

The restaurant being so handy and had excellent food
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom had an urine smell and bedside lamp was not working properly and the patio doors were dirty especially at the bottom rails and I find the price was wayyy too high and at that price should of included dinner .

The restaurant being so handy and had excellent food

Attached restaurant was delicious and patient with our large...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Noisy dog in room across from ours.

Attached restaurant was delicious and patient with our large group for breakfast. Very accomodting. Good location, clean.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful, and efficient.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were completely happy with all aspects of the Comfort Inn, other than finding food pieces by the side of the bed ( a full pretzel, and some smaller chunks). They were clearly visible and it made us unsure of how clean the rest of the room was. We would have asked to move rooms, but my daughter was already sleeping and we had an early start the next day.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful, and efficient. She was very informative and personable. Angels Diner (attached to Inn) had a nice menu l, prompt service, friendly staff and we really enjoyed our meal.

Awful
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is old and definitely not worth the money. Room was dirty. The curtains in room 118 are absolutely filthy. Big black stains. Very disappointing. Someone actually brought a dog and then went for breakfast and left the dog in the room and the dog proceeded to bark from 7:30 in the morn until 9 when the owner came back. When said something at the front desk they said oh the dog is such a little baby............like really!

less than desirable and not worth the dollar. altho staff pleasant
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

online advertised continental breakfast. staff agreed sites needed updating.toilet not cleaned, bathroom sink not cleaned, second day cleaning towels left on couch. carpet had odour. beds/sheeting old

I am originally from waterloo so situation of hotel was perfect.

Kamara at the front desk was amazing.
    • Queen Room

The whole hotel is non smoking even though booking.com allows you to pick from smoking or non smoking, but even that being said.. our parking spot was right outside our "patio door" so it was not a far run to have a smoke. Other than that I did not find any downfalls to our stay at the Comfort Inn Waterloo. I will definitely stay here again.

Kamara at the front desk was amazing. Check in was flawless the facilities were clean. There was coffee made in the lobby and this was at 9:30 p.m. the room was clean and cozy and the bed was waaaay comfier than at the Howard Johnson. And since they were not busy we were allowed to pick our room from the list of available rooms and the room had been pre warmed prior to us arriving there.

-clean
    • Queen Room

-the heater in my room wasn’t working properly and was outdated -you can hear everything that’s going on outside your room from the inside and at one point while the housekeepers were cleaning the other rooms they were playing music loudly

-clean -staff seemed friendly -convenient location (within walking distance from the universities)

I would never suggest this place to anyone.
    • Queen Room - Ground Floor

It was among the worst places I have ever stayed. The corridor's carpet is terribly smelly (may pet urine), it is difficult to pass through there. The heating system is poor. They turn it off sometimes middle of the night. Wifi was poor and disconnected one night and the next day. There is no breakfast or even drinking water in your room. You must go to a restaurant beside the hotel.

Staffs were kind and helpful.

Terrible.
    • Queen Room

My room smelled like smoke, and as a pregnant woman this was not tolerable. The hotel has signs raving it is smoke free though smelt disgusting.

Nothing - this hotel was awful.

Good value for the money.

Lot's of people staying for extended time at location; they have a sense of entitlement when going about the property. One of them even snapped at one of my students because he complained about the smell of weed coming from the room beside theirs.

Close proximity to the two universities in the region.

It's a trashy place for homeless.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not family friendly at all. Advertised non-smoking facility, the clientele smoke in hallways, doorways, rooms. The place wreaks of cigarette smoke. There was significant amounts of marajuana, other drugs, and alcohol being used in our section. Staff were told at 7pm, 12:00 am, and 2:30 am. Police did a drug bust a 3 am. There were significant traffic in the hallways after 11 pm-3 am. Doors opening and closing, doors slamming, stomping, running, things being thrown, a domestic dispute with people yelling and a woman shouting "get away from me". There are homeless shopping carts holding belongings all around the building, which we noticed the next morning in the light of day. We came to your the local university. My teen daughter had a terrible first impression and has decided that she does not want to go to university there--mostly because of this experience.

Nothing. This hotel was the worst I've ever stayed in in my life time. At least the staff finally called the police to do a drug bust at 3 am. And they cancelled my second night and significantly discounted my first night, understandably.

dont trun off something that someone wants on
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathtub drain didn't drain well at all no continental breakfast after reading it on line also on line said you get 10% off for the food after finding out that you don't get the food then most problem I had was I left to work turn on the heat when I came back to my room at 945 pm the room was so cold I went to check it out and it was turn off this happened both 2 nights I came back and I had to go from one end of the building to the front door to get ice never knew that that was bad . and the fridge was turn off as well water all over. shower sucks through the 2 days it was not good I also book to stay other day and just came back the 3rd day at 935 pm to go to room256 and just packed up and left and drove home which I did not want to do but had enough heat was turn off again 3 days and this did it for me .

there was coffee and water at front of doors if you liked the guy and lady were nice at front deck.

A relaxing place to stay while visiting St Jacobs.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

info online should include the fact that main floor rooms have a patio door where a smoker might step out.

The bed was as comfortable as my own. my friend and I both want to know where we can buy the pillows you provide.😉 it was great that there was a restaurant on site that opened early, 7 a.m. .

location is good, staff is nice, we check out eariler date,...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

only two floor but no elevator, if you have lots luggages like us will not very convenient. cleaning is not good enough

location is good, staff is nice, we check out eariler date, they help to changed the schedule without charge

Good can be better
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

No drinking water but staff was cooperative to send few bottles bed sheet was change on 3rd day of visit Room was not infant friendly

Location, Staff, Facilities, Ground flr room, Clean

Happy with our stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entrance in the back had about 3 massive spiders blocking the way to get it. Other than that we were happy :)

The value was pretty good for the room. Loved the free wifi and was close to restaurants.

Room was spacious and comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I found a pair of men’s briefs under my bed the night I arrived and it was not cleaned good at all. Front desk came and took the underware away but that was disgusting. They gave us breakfast vouchers to compensate and manager said it’s all he could do

Room was spacious and comfortable

Good deal, if you can get the room for a REALLY cheap price!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed and pillows were comfortable. The room was quiet. The air conditioning was quiet. The fridge worked well. The guests and people, in the area, seemed friendly enough.

Overall very pleasant for what it was.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms smelled like cigarettes and did not seem to be the cleanest. There were stains on our bed sheets. But for the money, we didn’t expect more.

Check in was easy and we had two rooms, they made sure they were adjoining without asking which was fantastic.

THe room looked fine, but it definitely had an...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

THe room looked fine, but it definitely had an "odour" to it. When I booked there were only a few rooms left as I booked earlier that day. We didn't arrive until around 8:30 pm, so we felt there was most likely no other option. I did share with the front desk that the room had an odour.\

It supplied a need for a hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were extremely hard and I would not return to that hotel for that very reason. There could be more pillows as well

The easy check in, restaurant attached to hotel

Will not be back!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No proper entrance to rooms for senior/disability. Front desk staff upon check in not very helpful, rude and sarcastic. Ran out of coffee cups for complimentary coffee area...not kept clean! Upon check in the 2 girls were outside smoking. Given keys to a 2nd flr room yet i had requested a main floor since my mom uses a walker and is on oxygen! I emailed this request and they said they never received it plus any reservations booked thru booking.com only get 2nd floor rooms!If this is the case this should be noted on the site or on the hotels website! This was very upsetting and they made me feel it was my fault. They eventually moved us into a wheelchair accessible rm but made it clear this room is a higher rate but would make the change without the increase as there are now more guests waiting to check in and now can hear everything said. Got into our room and went for dinner with family. Came back around 11pm only to find out that the pullout bed is not made and no bedding or pillows avail. Called the office for bedding and waited and waited. Finally went to the lobby and the girl from the check in was finishing her shift and said she would be to our room soon. Another 20 min and she came to the door and handed all the bedding at the door which was dropped as she was in a hurray and never offered to even make the bed! Again very disappointed in this property. It was not a restful sleep for me. In the morning I went for coffee in the lobby as my mom was still sleeping and the table was a mess and they had run out of coffee cups! I worked many years in the hotel and resort industry so I understand how the front and the back of the house works. There were so many things that were handled improperly and without an apology or empathy. The gentleman in the morning for the front desk check out was very polite. He mentioned that it is their policy to not pre-make the pullouts.

The restaurant

Would stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were comfortable but, definitely too small for a couple to share one. However, it was advertised as two double beds so this was expected. They were accommodating when we asked to change our booking without charging for the change.

The room was comfortable but I haa
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I need the use of a cane and I have a bad breathing problem so it was very difficult to walk down the very long hallway to my room My brother helped to get me in the room but on the way out I had to do it myself. BUT On my exit I had to carry my own baggage when a cleaning lady ran toward me and helped me carry my baggage and purse down the hallway to the restaurant.The help she gave me was very appreciated. Special thanks to that cleaning lady (I can not remember her name but I was in room 147) I was going down the hallway at about 9:00am)

The bed was comfortable, appreciated the soft and hard...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was comfortable, appreciated the soft and hard pillow options. The front desk staff was very helpful with directions, providing me a tooth brush as I forgot mine. Nice bonus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The tap in the bathtub does not allow you to control the amount of water, only the heat. May be this is common in North America, but if you live in Europe you may not like wasting the water like that.

Location The room is large Air conditioning Fast checkout

Dont book queen room - you will get double beds anyways
    • Queen Room

I reserved a queen room and paid (non-refundable) which was 10-15$ more than the rate of the two double bed room .. and when i checked in i realized i got the wrong room with double beds .. when i communicated with the front desk she told me all rooms sold online are double .. and whats on the website is not correct !!! Wasnt sure what to tell her actually so i am writing this here

The hotel was easy to get to.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The drainage in the shower was very poor. I ended up standing in ankle deep soapy water.

The hotel was easy to get to. Parking was great. It was nice having the restaurant so close.

It worked
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

There was a smell in the room. Asked about it. Were given spray. Didn't help. Smelt like dirty socks. Thought we might have been in area with some construction workers. The last night commotion in hallway. Bathroom was a little small. We had 88 year old mother with us. Didn't realize how hard it would be to get her in and out shower. Lesson learnt. Also steps every entrance to rooms.

Beds comfortable. Rate good. Clean. We were mostly in room to sleep. Ended up having a plane delay. Very accommodating with late night arrival

Very unsatisfied...Won't return
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our first room smelt like pee. Our second room the fridge was full of water and has 2 inches of ice built up on the bottom of the freezer, there was a coffee stain on one comforter and hairs in the other bed. There was something splashed all over the wall and picture.

Overall good hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were allotted a upper floor room. There is no lift. There were no porters or bell boys to carry our luggage upstairs. It was a big problem for my 60+ year old husband to carry the luggage upstairs. Had I been alone it would be impossible. The wifi was not very good.

It is a good place. It was very convenient for us location wise as we had be near the Univ. of Waterloo.

We stayed here for Everafter Music Festival!
    • Queen Room

You don't need a credit card to book the property. They had free parking which was convienient for us. The rooms were renovated & clean. We felt safe & secure. I liked that the rooms we booked had a sliding door to walk outside. The sliding doors also offered a lot of natural light in the room, which was helpful when we were doing our makeup. They also had Blackout curtains to ensure you can sleep. The restaurant next door serves amazing breakfast by menu. All in all, It was good value for the money we spent. The location was maybe twenty minutes drive from the festival. The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Misinformed about accessibility.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

We were given the assurance that the room would be wheelchair accessible but it wasn't. the bathroom was small, the toilet was too low, the sink was too high, the bed was hard and way too high for even a normal person. We had to access the room through an outside ramp and there were no automatic door openers to assist us getting in. Not going to stay at any Comfort Inn in the future. We only stayed one night and slept poorly.

Not much.

It's on accessible location and comfortable and quiet...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Either it's the aged facilities as like bath tub or just cleaning issues, that could be improved. Although, generally I found the room nice and clean

It's on accessible location and comfortable and quiet area

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Coffee in the lobby was good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The facilities are run down. The water wasn't draining properly in our sink. The room had a very stale smell when we came in and not very clean. Beds not very comfortable and didn't have a good sleep. The price charged was too much.

Coffee in the lobby was good. The location was ideal for where we were going. The breakfast in the restaurant was good and price was reasonable.

Microwave and fridge
    • Queen Room - Ground Floor

Room smelled like it was a smoking room at some point and had a odour, musty smell causing allergy issues. Booked a queen room and got a double bed and queen sofa bed as double to small needed to use both. Plug for a cpap machine not available/accessible on both sides of the bed.

Microwave and fridge Location Air conditioning

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Bed was super comfy, room was very accommodating with tv,...
    • Queen Room

Check out time was way too early for me, wish I could've slept in after partying lol

Bed was super comfy, room was very accommodating with tv, fridge, coffee maker, free wifi, wasn't too hot or too cold like most places, great restaurant attached.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

I love this location and will be back !!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was excited to see an ANGEL'S RESTAURANT connected to the hotel because I have eaten at a couple of other ANGEL'S locations and LOVE it !!!! But the food at this one was NOT the same. Not nearly as good. I was disappointed. Many years ago there was a Golden Griddle there and that was the BEST. This is the only dislike I have for this location. I

The room was bright and warm. Very clean . The beds were very comfortable with several pillows to choose from. The hotel was quiet. easy access and good parking. I have been using this Comfort Inn location every time I go to Waterloo for about 18 years now. Always a positive experience and the recent reno's have made it even better.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Will not book a Comfort Inn again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room could definitely have been cleaner - Old candy wrappers on the floor by the night table. Hair in shower that wasn't mine. Heating did not work properly

Proximity to my ultimate destination

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Quite comfortable and convenient, close to amenities.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The toilet bowl was dirty, mouldy and gross along the ring of the bowl. It probably has never been brushed for ages. I'll buy a toilet brush myself next time I stay there. Lol. Saw murky water in the coffee maker, so kettle is much preferred. Therefore, didn't get to drink my tea before going to sleep.

The house keepers are nice. The microwave and fridge help when I need a late supper but too lazy to go out. Close to my son's university, so it serves my purpose to comfort my son during his exam time.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Clean and quiet - no breakfast
    • Queen Room

There was no breakfast facilities within the hotel. There was no common facilities for gathering. Very small reception. Little pricey for just sleepover.

It was clean and comfortable. Free wifi

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Comfortable Hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Someone had vomited outside door to exit! (outside)

Comfortable and quiet stay, as usual! Close to University that our son's are attending. Angel's breakfast is very good and convenient.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

We were pleasantly surprised!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were pleasantly surprised! It doesn't look like much from the outside but it is clean and comfortable. Fridge, microwave and coffee maker were great!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Very clean, fast free wi fi
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Minor point. No lift. Although only 2 floors, carrying heavy case down stairs was a problem for me.

Julie, reception staff extremely friendly and helpful. She was always very chatty and helpful. Wi go free and very quick. Rooms cleaned daily. Refrigerator useful to keep a few items from Wal Mart which is a few minutes walk away.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Very good living experience, will definitely choose it if I have chance to go there again.
    • Queen Room

There was no kettle in the room, so I basically only had cold water to drink.

I love the location of the hotel, with lots of stores, restaurants and supermarkets around, basically within walking distance to major sites of the city. The bed in the room was particularly amazing!

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Good location, not very clean
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room had an awful odour.

The location was great. We were attending our son's successful defense of his Ph.D. thesis in Chemistry at the University of Waterloo.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Good value but funny smell
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room smelled a bit funny, almost like dampness. Turning on fan and AC (windows too tiny) seemed to help a bit, but never fully went away. A bit of a walk 20-25 mins to downtown Waterloo. Although rooms were recently renovated, some things are still old in the rooms.

Room was generally clean and beds were comfy. Few mins walk down the street to groceries and walmart. Rooms recently renovated.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Accommodation didn't match the booking..... use a cot... and put it where?...poor customer service
    • Queen Room - Ground Floor

We arrived and the room didn't match what we booked. Concierge just stared blankly and said there was nothing he could do then offered us a cot.... when there was no room to even fit one. When we asked for pillows, he gave us two pillowcases stuffed with sheets!! The next morning, I went to get coffee & tea and asked for milk. The response " go next door and ask the restaurant for some" .....really??? Overall, customer service and initiative to do service recovery was not there. I will not stay in this hotel again and sad to report that my 2 adult children won't either.

The housekeeper was very friendly and attempted to ensure that she could do everything that she was able. The second night they did move us as they had a no show.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

The receptionist was very helpful giving directions for...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was rather noisy on our floor until midnight.

The receptionist was very helpful giving directions for places to go, places to eat, directions to St. Jacobs.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

A basic inn in a decent location with very poor service.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was very unfriendly, as well as the manager. I booked using booking.com and my reservation included a hot breakfast for everyone. I had to argue with 3 front desk people and a supervisor to get them to honor the included breakfast. The lobby, the hallways and the rooms had a very strong smell, could have been cigarettes or something else, it was very unpleasant.

The location was OK.

Totally comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

As a while it was a good stay. Beds were comfy Support facilities were excellent

Perfect for 1 night stay.

No complaints.

Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Central location.

Beds were very comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Car was vandalized in parking lot. Cameras weren't working in that area

Beds were very comfortable

My stay was good, staff was very helpful, room was clean and comfortable. I would stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It still smelled like smoking.

The support offered by the front desk was excellent.

very good. recommend to anyone. very easy to find
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

the room was fairly cold

the bed was very comfy

The staff were overall very helpful and friendly!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The room had an odd smell to it and the room would often get super hot or super cold

The staff were overall very helpful and friendly!!!

Very noisy.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very noisy. Could use more insulation from hallway noise.

Warm welcoming and homey feel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything I really liked the express checkout. Room was clean and warm

Bed was comfortable;
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bed was comfortable; room was clean; central location

lots of pillows
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no dial tone for the phone in the room.

lots of pillows

Service was great & very Friendly

Service was great & very Friendly

everything

everything

Quite good.

Angels breakfast was great

good place to stay in Waterloo

all good

although older building, it has been updated recently. restaurant connected to hotel

Nice place, economical.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No inclusive breakfast at this one

Pet friendly Quick easy check in during a blizzard

Pet friendly with a park nearby that was nice to walk the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms smell of smoke despite being smoke free.

Pet friendly with a park nearby that was nice to walk the dog.

Frequently ran out of coffee and cream.
    • Queen Room

Frequently ran out of coffee and cream.

The young people going in and out.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The young people going in and out. Think there was someone selling drugs, etc.

Hotel clientele appear shady, and the hotel itself smelled...
    • Queen Room

Hotel clientele appear shady, and the hotel itself smelled of cigarette smoke and dirty.