Reviews of Commons Inn 3 stars

5780 West Street, B3K 1H8 Halifax, Canada

#11 of 12 B&Bs and Inns in Halifax

6.2

• Standard Queen Bedroom

We would have liked the room to be larger. No closet space and we stayed 4 nights. Otherwise, everything was very nice.

The bed was comfortable, the breakfast was excellent. The front desk people were very friendly.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

Very basic breakfast. No a/c. Not enough light in shower/bathroom. Noisy in hotel & traffic & sirens outside hotel. Small, old, odour filled room.

Wanda was great, the receptionist.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

It is an older building and there is not great soundproofing. Doors are noisy when closing.

Location - I could easily walk everywhere. Free breakfast. Friendly staff.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

The only drawbacks of our stay at the Commons Inn is the noise from people chatting ang laughing from a pub next to the hotel and the smell of cigarette smoke coming n through the window and the very loud air conditioner.

The room was clean and comfortable, with the added convenience of a microwave, fridge in the room and free breakfast. The owner was welcoming and helpful allowing us an early check in. The location very close to downtown.

We had no concerns.

Location was comfortable walking distance from downtown Halifax. Breakfast choices were relatively few but good. Available TV channels were helpful to us.

Clean, Safe, quiet!

Furniture and scenery look old and old dated but clean and comfy enough, especially for the price. Ideal if travelling on budget. Although very old--an antic -- the property is well maintained and clean. Breakfast is basic but breakfast room is very clean and food handled properly --no waste and feels safe and inviting to eat! They have a policy for not taking food out of the breakfast room which is a good thing--I think all such budget hotels should enforce that!

• Standard Double Bedroom

The breakfast was basic continental, which is fine, but the picture on the website bore little resemblance to what was available. The room was fairly small, and, as the Commons is an old building, noise reverberates and echoes through the night. More pillows needed.

The location is excellent for accessing the waterfront. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room was clean and fairly comfortable.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Street noise at night; bed-header not connected to the frame (room 202); no extra pillows.

Location; free parking; warm welcome by helpful front desk staff and the fact that our request for a room on the lower lever was accommodated (due to mobility issues); comfortable mattress.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

The room was disgusting! There was a massive clump of hair on the shower curtain, the beds were full of hair and pubic hair, the sink had tooth paste in it, all the towels had hair in them. It was so gross. I got the dates wrong on booking by error and I’m glad I did because I couldn’t stay there another night. The room made me sick to my stomach. The lady came to change the beds and give me more towels but the bathroom was still gross. It was like they didn’t clean the room at all. There was a remote missing, the lady at the desk was helpful but overall it was horrid.

The bathtub was a good size and there was lots of windows.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

There was a bunch of trash sitting in bags by the broken vending pop machine on our floor. Rather ugly to look at walking to our room. And we only had a shower in our room, no tub. I would stay there again.

It was convenient without being right downtown Halifax. The bed was super comfortable. Cozy & quiet, clean. Great value for the price of our room.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

I didn't like the mouse trap in our room. I didn't like the fact that the T.V. only had one channel and after we tried to change the channel we had none, the fact that I hit my head on the shelf when I brushed my teeth or the dust in the bathroom. I especially didn't care for the dirt still in the bathtub.

not much

• Standard Double Bedroom

Only negative I have to say, which is very minuimal, is that the room I happened to stay in was far from the internet router so my Wi-Fi signal was weak but that's nothing.

I enjoyed my stay quite a bit. I've lived in Halifax before and now live outside of the city. Booked a room for one night for an event in the city and nearly everything was perfect. Room was quaint and tiny, but perfect for one person or a couple.

• Standard Double Bedroom

They take 100 dollars from you at check-in what they will give you back at check-out.

The staff was extremely helpful, the location is not too bad, this is one of the cheapest locations in Halifax if you want to be close to the city center. Breakfast was also good.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

The room was dirty and poorly kept. Our window was broken and would not close. Our blankets were dirty with crusty stuff on them. Our comforter actually had big holes in it with the stuffing coming out.

Very little

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

This establishment is not as presented on line. Our bathroom was not clean. The exhaust fan did very little. This was evident by the condensation stains on the ceiling. The light fixture over the sink was filthy. Our bed was uncomfortable and the room had an odour to it as though someone had been keeping a dog in there. Free parking is a bonus, but there was no room in the lot and we were forced to park on the street in front of the building. We were told this would be ok since they don't ticket on weekends and there were security cameras in front of the building. Breakfast is provided, but includes cold cereal toast or yogurt, coffee, tea and orange juice. We left after the 1st night, but had to return to get our second night charges refunded.

Excellent staff, very accommodating. A great location for our purposes. The bathroom did have new fixtures.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was nothing like depicted in the add. There was no elevator (4 floors). The second day the room was not cleaned properly , the comforter was thrown on the bed the blanket and sheets on the sides were touching the floor and the bathroom sink had the toothpaste and hair from the morning still it. I tried to leave and get the second nights money back and was told no !!I have pictures because I could not believe it !!

• Standard Double Bedroom

There was a strong smell of cleaning products in the room when I checked in and had to air out the room. The furniture and style were dated. The room was also occupied by a small mouse. There were no supermarkets close by and few places to eat, without walking downtown.

I stayed 8 nights as I was moving to Halifax. The staff were very helpful. The room was basic with fridge and tv. The location was fine for walking downtown. The room was clean.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

One bed queek and the other one was like a board and we didn't sleep you could here noise and that was all night long on top of us we had 2 sets of stair to climb when we got there the women at the front desk no smile but i the morning the women there was very nice.

Nothing except for the location was close to IWK

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

weird wiring in room. TV was impossible to figure out -- two remotes plus a button un the bottom of the screen. No instructions. Turned out lights and found out later that it also cut off the outlets so my cell phone didn't charge.

Location and friendly staff.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Located next to the front desk was a little noisy. Breakfast was cleaned up a few minutes before time to be over and we weren't allowed anything but coffee.

The rooms were comfortable and adequate

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner.

Unfortunately I could not stay for breakfast but I was given an excellent recommendation for my dinner plans even though I arrived quite late to check in!

If we were correctly informed we would not even considered this place. I am not trying to be nasty bu i tell it as i see it. WE WANT AND DESERVE OUR MONEY BACK..AS WE DID NOT STAY. Learned a valuable lesson, you cannot trust anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The room was supose to be a deluxe room, it was very small and very smelly, like mildew. The door was open about a half inch, even when locked, and the catch was torn off on the inside. We stayed about 2 minutes and returned the keys to the front desk. the smell was overwhelming, wouldnt let my dog sleep in this room. I lost over a hundred dollars beccause they wouldnt refund our money.I think we deserve our money back, dont you?????

• Standard Double Bedroom

Lack of closets - no place to hang clothes.

Price was extremely reasonable and the staff was very welcoming and friendly. Very Nova Scotian in their deneanor.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Fair rates! Breakfast included. Good value. Close to Halifax Downtown and many places are in walk distance. Walking around North end from the Inn is not recommended; you better have a car to travel to other areas except Halifax Downtown!

• Standard Double Bedroom

A bit more work on cleaning, repairs, and upgrading (e.g. very noisy fan in bathroom) would make this an excellent place to stay.

The bed was comfortable, staff friendly, neighbourhood had good shops for food and some excellent pubs and cafes. Room and bathroom both decent size for the price. We could see the car from the room which was great.

• Standard Double Bedroom

As I mentioned the pillows too soft.

The breakfast was really good. The pillows were too soft, but that's not a problem, I will bring my comfy pillow with me. Close to the hospital. I will stay again in the near future.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

Bed was very uncomfortable. Was on a slant so felt like you were always falling out of it. Could hear other people in rooms.

inexpensive and the staff was friendly

• Standard Queen Bedroom

The sheets smelled a little funny. The shower was very small. Lots of stairs to get to the room and the layout of the building was a little confusing.

Cheap and close to down town

• Standard Double Bedroom

The breakfast options could be expanded while still keeping costs down (i.e. oatmeal packets). My room was close to reception and so I was awoken a few times a night. It would have been nice if front desk asked me how I might feel about this before I moved in. Management could add sound buffers in the reception area.

The location. The staff. The value for money.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Cramped room with large table, hard to get around, maybe a smaller table or shelf for microwave & fridge?

Good value & room change as error in booking. Pleasant, and quaint

• Standard Double Bedroom

I was on the main floor right by the check-in counter - I could hear everything that was said. A note in the bathroom stated that the outlet could not handle a blow-dryer which meant plugging the dryer in an outlet in the bedroom. However there was no mirror in the bedroom which is needed if one is going to blow their hair in that room.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Very unconfortable bed light bulbs missing poor heating I was cold , poor entertainment in the room (Cable tv )floor (carpet) with crumbs of something, guess in upper floor very noise n loud all night. Over all poor cleanenness, is not what the show on you website, you should advertise this location

Centrally located poor cleanenness

• Standard Double Bedroom

Not that it bothered us much but when we arrived, there were guests smoking weed on the front stoop and you could smell it very strongly in the stairwell. However our room was far enough away and the doors to the stairwells were always closed so you couldn't smell it on our floor.

We got fresh towels each day and bed made. The room and bathroom were squeaky clean and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. It was very central for our travel needs and the price was perfect for two nights.

• Standard Double Bedroom

No chair to sit in, so I could do work on computer or laptop. No closet.

Affordable and clean place to stay that was close to where I needed to be. Free breakfast always a bonus. Decent coffee...staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Double Bedroom

The hotel is more of a pay monthly apartment so there was people coming and going at all hours. You can hear everything anyone else does which led to some interesting wake ups at 3am. The first thing I had to do was change towels because of the giant yellow stain on one. Breakfast is very minimal and the only choice of juice was fermented orange juice.

The staff was friendly.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

You get what you pay for. It’s a very old property but it’s clean. Your bedroom has the minimal basics. Flat sheet instead of fitted sheet on the bed, only one pillow each, rooms are small but we only rented to have a place to sleep after a concert so it was all we needed for the night. Staff is friendly.

• Standard Double Bedroom

We aren’t picky we liked the place but our room was close to the front desk and we could hear all the guests complaints while checking out and also how the front desk responded after they left. It was quite dramatic with a bit of profanity. Ultimately pretty unprofessional but very entertaining. The front desk was saying to the guest how there was no way their room was dirty as they had just hired a new housekeeper. But when i checked in there were still greasy napkins inside the antique desk from the last guest’s McDonald’s meal. Overall though our room was pretty clean.

Good value for your money!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Room situated on the corner of 2 streets, could hear the traffic but ear plugs did the trick. Husband slept well though so I'm the sensitive one!

Cozy, quiet,very friendly staff, parking free, old fashioned furniture in our room.

• Standard Double Bedroom

There was no housekeeping. The beds were not mad,e the bathroom was not cleaned, there was very little hot water, the heat seemed to be shut off at night.

• Standard Double Bedroom

room had a slight smell, carpet was not clean

Breakfast is the bare minimum, I would expect a larger variety not only coffee or Tea with toast and jam.

• Standard Double Bedroom

It was filty sheets was dirty and when I went to lobby they gave me another sheets and want me to change it and when i did those have dirty too. There was mold in bathroom and over all was really bad

• Standard Double Bedroom

Broken tiles in the bath and polyester bedspread, frigid spots on the floor in the bedroom were a couple of problem areas...but it's tough to be perfect!

Staff were excellent and the decor this kind of 'classy, dated, bookish' look that was refreshingly unique.

I didnt diflike anything

The power went out at the hotel and some of us gathwred in tbe lobby. The hotel staff and owner provided us with flashlights if we needed one. They are always giving 110 %

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

Hotel was really dated. Had a creepy hook up feel. Dont know why i paid what i did here.

Kinda creepy. Dont know why i booked this place. Should have stayed in Dartmouth and paid same.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

Cleanliness, most of the room seemed clean but I got my phone cord stuck on the lamp cord and a dried red substance was on that.... so that was disturbing

Location and price! To be in downtown Halifax for this price was fantastic

• Standard Double Bedroom

Not that the Inn could really help but we had pigeons outside our room in the morning. A little annoying but not really that bad.

Great staff, very fast to get requested pillows. Nice breakfast area with continental breakfast. Location is close enough to downtown that we could have walked but the chill had us taking a taxi. Only $7 to downtown!

• Standard Double Bedroom

The breakfast could be a bit better and have the Options of eggs.

The customser service was excellent! The reception staff, all of them were super helpful and kind. The room was very homely and super cute. The toilet was clean enough and was provided with the necessary toiletries and clean linen. Very secured hotel and located in a good location with several restaurant choices in its surroundings.

• Standard Double Bedroom

The pillows are too small and flat.

Location near downtown excellent for the cost of the room. Very clean and very neat. The breakfast area very well maintained and the 2 guys checking me into the Inn were very friendly and informative.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Very noisy, had a hard time getting clean towels when I asked, parking was terrible, not enough spaces and getting out of spaces was torture.

The free breakfast was good

• Standard Queen Bedroom

I could hear the noises from the rooms upstairs, next to mine, and even outside clearly. No elevators for guests with heavy luggages, disabilities or are unable to go up the stairs. The faucet knob in the bathroom was growing mold. Bed headboards were making noise a lot hitting the wall waking up our 2 yr old daughter in the middle of the night.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were allowed an early check in and lte check out. Clean room, cozy small room, nothing fancy. Breakfast included. Affordable downtown accomodation. Free off the street parking. Free WiFi with good signal strength.

• Standard Double Bedroom

We can heard the noise from the upstairs and outside clearly.

The room is clean, the bed is comfortable. There are free parking area, but it is limited.

• Standard Room with Two Single Beds

I stayed 10 days and my room did not get cleaned a couple of days in a row. This happened at the end of summer season (October), their excuse was that cleaners had quit... the previous days was all good.

Breakfast self-served was good enough and included coffee, tea, chocolate, toasts, some fruits, milk, cereal, yogurt, and juice.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Wifi was free but connection was not so good, and I could hear the noises from the rooms next to mine.

Very friendly staff, breakfast was simple but good, just what we need to start the day. Room was quite clean. Location was good, I like long walks and it took me everyday about 30 min to get to downtown.

• Standard Room with Two Single Beds

The room was to small,the fire alarm in room kept beeping, no hot water,no ice machine, or vending.For the quality of the room I would have booked elsewhere

The location is close to town

• Standard Double Bedroom

Extremely loud check-ins and check-outs amplified by the total lack of sound isolation. Even though there is a "Keep quiet after 10PM" sign, nobody, not even the staff, heeds it. Breakfast was somewhat basic, no variety at all.

Location was great, walking distance from waterfront/downtown, and a few dinner options in surrounding area. Free parking (the lot is not spacious but good enough, has two entrances, and any spot can be used without any reservation). Free WiFi with good signal strength. Free self-serve breakfast.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

Queen room was small and no place to work (table chair). Quickly resolved and moved to a double room as it was available.

Staff, location, free parking!!! Fridge / microwave. I believe we were in one of the refurbished rooms.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

Did not feel like a hotel. Wondered if there was a fire, it would be difficult to get out.

We had to park on the street as the parking lot was full. Fortunately it was weekend, so there was no problem parking overnight on the street,

• Deluxe Queen Room

parking got full a couple nights and I had to park on street

Location was excellent and the value you get for your money is FANTASTIC. I had a great place and did not cost me a fortune. Do not expect the Ritz Carlton but a nice room clean and quiet. Will stay there again

Absolutely no feel good factor at this place. Unclean, disorganized and no friendly attitude by staff towards guests. My bathroom had broken floor tiles. Room was very small. Very noisy location with lorries lorries starting very early morning. Bed mattresses stacked in common living/social area. This inn should 'only' be advertised as a hostel. Very unhappy.

Within walking distance to downtown Halifax; in the daylight hours.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

Room too small. Old and in need of refurbishment. Old and quaint does not excuse everything. Narrow steps and lots of them. You need a map to find the breakfast room but when you do, it’s worth it.

Location along Agricola St. Great dining options. Walk to the citadel and on into town. Helpful staff. Good breakfast.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Lighting room was dark. Headboard wasn't attached to bed or wall so if I moved it banged on the wall. Very thin walls, could hear everything.

Location was good. Staff was Great, very friendly.

• Standard Room with Two Single Beds

A lot of steps at the front entrance and I am unable to lift anything, no elevator , some areas very shabby.

Good location hear the Halifax Commons. Many attractions within walking distance, friendly helpful staff, clean fresh bathroom, good wifi

• Standard Double Bedroom

i would appreciate the installation of a sub basement swimming pool . they are being built all over london england .

tv had some great channels . staff were always attentive , willing to help and informative . the commons has a great laid back ambience which i always enjoy . all in all the commons is a great introduction to the ethos of halifax .

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

Very old and dated. There’s no elevator ( which we new before booking) but the stairs are plenty and quite steep. Room with two double beds was very small....one double bed was paritally blocking the door to the bathroom. The bathroom door wouldn’t lock or stay closed properly. There was mold on the bathroom ceiling, cracks in the sink, no drain stopper. Holder for blow dryer was hanging empty on the wall. Ran the water for 10 minutes and it never got hot....passed on attempting a shower! Maintenance is definitely needed throughout the whole room.

It was quiet. Only about a 20 minute walk to the waterfront. Didn’t have to pay for parking.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Room was very small and dark. They had a room for reading and relaxing but it was closed. It would have been good for reading. It was really hot and they gave us a very noisy fan which we had to keep turning off.

Staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was adequate. Price was good.

• Standard Room with Two Single Beds

Shabby and not particularly clean. Shower screen dirty and the room was furnished with what looked like cast off old furniture. The bed covers smelts stale and the whole impression was one of grubbiness. Not recommended.

Handy for downtown Halifax (25 mins walk). Not much else to recommend it.

• Standard Double Bedroom

The rooms were very small and dirty. We ask for a chair and did not get it. We had booked for 3 nights but stay there 2 nights, the Inn is very bad. We never go there again.

• Standard Double Bedroom

Very disappointing, felt like a fire trap motel. small room and bathroom, down a flight of stairs , no elevator . Very Old decor and furnishings. There was not enough parking available for number of guests.

• Standard Double Bedroom

The only thing I didn't like was the size of the bathroom; it was very tight.

The property was very clean, the front desk staff very friendly. I was most impressed that if there were little ones around, we did not hear any which made the stay even nicer. This is a great place to stay if you are a walker because everything is within 3-4 blocks.

• Standard Double Bedroom

No coffee maker in the room. House keeping came in emptied garbage,took a bath towel, never replaced it and that was it. Room was not cleaned or bed made during our stay.

Good location to downtown. Easy access to everything we wanted to see.

• Deluxe Two Double Bed Room

Any other other hotel would be better.

the beds were awful. Breakfast was in the basement with cereal and toast. Rooms very small. We stayed away all day until night . Never again. Picture of the place is not real. Extremely noisy part of city.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

No elevator and we were on the third floor. I was in an ortho boot and the stairs were narrow which made it difficult.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a pizza place right next to us. I came back to the inn after a day of walking up and down hills. When I walked into the inn, the gal at the desk asked if I needed some ice. YES!

• Standard Double Bedroom

Carpets very old, dirty. Too many stairs for most. Bed needs new ones for 7 nights. Price good been to better places. bedding not changed enough. Probably will not stay next year when we return for a wedding.

breakfast good. location handy.

• Standard Queen Bedroom

Room was very dated, did not look like the photos posted online. Bathroom floor tiles were not attached, room was dim, lampshades were torn, walls were paper thin and could hear every sound other guests made. No mirror in the bedroom and very tiny space overall.

The bed was comfortable, and staff were friendly.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It is a very old hotel that has been kept up. So more European than American. Good food just down the street and it was about half an hour walk to harbour.

Browse Commons Inn traveller photo gallery