Reviews of Delta Hotels by Marriott Banff Royal Canadian Lodge 4 stars

459 Banff Avenue, T1L 1B4 Banff, Canada

#14 of 46 hotels in Banff

Nice hotel centrally located in Banff

Wardrobe and beverage facilities in bathroom was weird

Really nice big room with very comfortable bed. Good buffet breakfast reasonably priced. Nice intimate bar; had a great local gin.

Lovely hotel would happily recommend
    • Premier King Room

Nice comfortable, clean room, staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet plentiful and good value. Location good. Slightly out of town so quiet but an easy walk in.

Perfect for our short stay in Banff
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Beds were comfortable & fire place in room was lovely. We had view to street from the 3rd floor which was nice. Location was not that close to the main street if you wanted to walk but we had a car so not that much of an issue.

Perfect
    • Premier King Room

Not too much except one day out room wasn’t cleaned

The staff was always attentive and the hotel was always clean. Any question was always answered with additional tips of their own

Great value for money, exceptionally friendly staff
    • Queen Room

The room was much bigger than anticipated, and although it was a busy time of year to book they were still able to find me a room that met my requests (away from elevators and ice machines)

Not the best that is for sure. I would not recommend this hotel.
    • Premier King Room

Where do I start. When we arrived to our Premium King room we found it to be just a small room with a king size bed. The fan didn’t work so the Ac was on and wouldn’t shut off, not good in the winter. The phone didn’t work so we couldn’t call the front desk. There was a used soap and water stains left in the bathtub. The hair dryer was broken, it wouldn’t turn off unless you unplugged it. The coffee maker, cups etc is actually in the bathroom which we found weird. There wasn’t even any bottled water in the room. On top of that to have to pay for breakfast with a $300+ room is ridiculous. Every time we told the front desk about an issue all they said was they would make note of it but they don’t actually do anything but pass it to someone else. When the Duty manager finally talked to us late on our second night he was rude, made excuses and lied to us in regards to how they pay Booking.com we found out after again talking to another manager while checking out the next morning. For a what we got we could have stayed at a hotel for half the price and had a better room and service. Very disappointed in the hotel. I also would not have booked knowing that there was an extra $145 added to the price you have on the site. I think you need to more clear on all the additional fees that will be added upfront.

The mineral pool and hot tub were great.

Amazing ski holiday with beautiful views

In the very cold weather (minus 34 at one point) the walk into the town and restaurants felt longer than it is! It is about 15 minutes walk to most of the restaurants but there are some good ones closer when it gets really cold :)

Large room with fire which was lovely after a day’s skiing, good sized bathroom, excellent service. The hotel restaurant was also good, we enjoyed Christmas Day dinner there and breakfast every morning.

Nearness to downtown is the only reason to stay here.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room heat was uncontrollable, no matter how you set it. There is no common lounge area (the lobby is not set up conducively and it is too cold when the doors keep opening, the restaurant food was terrible, the hotel has no shuttle to aid in getting around (which is a challenge in Banff as there are no Uber's and taxis are scarce.

It was nice to be able to walk to down town and that it is on a bus line.

Cosy night away
    • Premier King Room

It was a little expensive for just one night but this is due to its location, I believe.

The room was really cosy and having the fireplace really made it homely.

See above.

My wife and I left the hotel in the morning for the day. When we returned late in the afternoon we discovered that our room had not been made up. My wife went to the front desk, complained and requested this service. She was told that we needed to "register" on a list that morning if we wanted our room made up! When I heard this I went and spoke with the manager. I explained that I had stayed at hotels all over the world and had never experienced this policy. I asked if housekeeping knocked on the door during the day to determine if the guest had vacated. I was told that they should but apparently failed to do so that day. The manager was very apologetic and offered to cover the parking fee for me.

The pool, whirlpool and steam room were ideal.

The Delta hotel in Banff was a very nice place to stay.
    • Premier King Room

My special request sent to Booking.com wasn’t received by the hotel in time for them to address or respond to my request. My preference for a firm bed is perhaps not typical of most travelers but I found the bed too soft which made my back sore each morning

Top notch service, could not have asked for a better stay!!!
    • Premier King Room

The room was well appointed and exactly what we needed. The service was impeccable! I felt secure and valued from the second we stepped foot on the property. Thank you for an absolutely wonderful stay!!

Very comfortable hotel a short walk from Banff town in a quiet location.

Chilled champagne would have been good! Hotel decor was a little.dated but very clean.

Very comfortable bed and pillows and the suite was an. Excellent size.

Nice enough place, though dated and old-fashioned, overly quiet feel to it. Very nice staff however
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hair dryer did not work and they did not send another one right up, as promised. They did not send another one even for the second day. This was quite upsetting as it's a basic need. Breakfast wasn't cooked well but they did take the item off the bill and were very nice about it, still disappointing.

Nice staff and concierge. Room was quite fine.

It was fine but not exceptional for the price.
    • Premier King Room

No comfortable seating in the room. Chairs should be replaced by a couch for more comfortable seating. (Chairs much too large for a smaller frame adult).

Great location, but in need of a remodel.

Facilities are dated and looking tired. For the price, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

Property is close to downtown and walkable. Staff is friendly.

Fantastic all round loved our stay in Banff
    • Premier King Room

The price of parking but we parked on the side of road round corner for free which worked nicely for us.

Fantastic location. Very helpful and friendly staff and excellent hotel all round

We had an amazing time and would definitely book a room at this hotel again.

Continental breakfast. Price of the room was high. Breakfast should have been included. Fridge in the room was not cold enough.

Proximity to banff ave was convienant. Had a fantastic time in the pool w the kids.

We enjoyed our stay even though the view was limited and air quality was not the best.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Smoke from the forest fires was a bothersome issue and the main lounge has doors that open to the patio and the front doors of the lobby were constantly being opened. The downstairs pub was being used for a private party, so it was not a choice. Because I am sensitive to smoky air, we were forced to eat in our room. A disappointment but the room service was fast, the food tasty, and the staff were very professional & friendly.

The location was pretty and the rooms were nicely decorated. The hotel is a distance from downtown and we chose to stay at the hotel to eat dinner. Room service was very good and I am sure the view from our window is usually very good. Forest fire smoke prevented a clear view.

Loved the stay . Would stay again .
    • Queen Room

Very clean and bed comfortable . Quiet area on edge of town but still only ten minutes walk to Banff town centre . Staff very helpful and as it was our 25 anniversary we received a bottle of bubbly from staff . A nice treat !!

We loved the staff and the beautiful chocolates and...
    • Queen Room

We loved the staff and the beautiful chocolates and sparkeling wine we received as it was our honeymoon. Was a lovely touch! They staff were very helpful!

We had booked me than 3 rooms and for some rooms they...

We had booked me than 3 rooms and for some rooms they charged us more and even after charging more the rooms were smaller in size and with a pathetic view. When we told the front desk about it the lady at first said that she will look into it but the next lady just rudely said that they can't do anything. The attitude of the lady at the front desk was very negative and we felt being taken for a ride. The property charges for parking though all other properties on the same road offer free parking.

Great place to stay in Banff
    • Premier King Room

There is no outdoor area to sit but didn't matter that much

Great service and large room and bathroom as we had King suite. Also nice indoor pool and steam room

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Friendly and convenient
    • Premier King Room

The rooms are comfortable a bit dated and could use a refresh.

Hotel is in a great location, walking distance to Banff town. The staff was lovely and friendly.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

I ate breakfast there two of the three days I was there.

I ate breakfast there two of the three days I was there. the first day they forgot the salmon on my pacific eggs bennedic. the second day they served me a very good steak and eggs, but I was sat at a not very clean table. I ate out the third day.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Nice comfortable hotel but lacked a little atmosphere
    • Premier King Room

Sounds proofing wasn't great and we had drilling noises coming from above it's most days. Restaurant was okay but very basic, and the bar was pretty limited with no real atmosphere

Located just out of town but close enough to walk into what was a very busy tourist hub

Fabulous Fifty celebration 🎈

The computers were down upon check out. Still haven't seen our bill. They are supposed to email us

Having chocolate truffles waiting with a birthday card for my friend was a beautiful added touch 💙

The pool and hot tub were nice and the room was almost...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Paid for valet parking but there was no effort to park or take any bags to our room. At check in or at check out. Why pay for it and not receive the service.

The pool and hot tub were nice and the room was almost perfect.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Home Sweet home🤗
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I was surprised my Delta membership didnt count because i had booked through booking.com. I joined on a stay at Delta in New Brunswick and thought each timed you stayed a a Delta you would get points.

Beautiful scenery we enjoyed walking to the downtown shop area. 2nd day had some rain Taxi service was quick , everybody very friendly.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

The pool area was very nice.

Problems controlling the temp of room. Either super hot or really cold. The king bed was comfortable, however my son slept on a pull out bed. They provided sheets and one very very thin blanket for him. When the room got cold he froze. For the price of the room, I expected a little more. Restaurant staff mixed up our order.

The pool area was very nice. Had a massage in the spa that was fantastic.

Negative first impression
    • Premier King Room

During the check in process the girl at the front desk was not the most pleasant, we are Marriott rewards members and wanted to add our number to the reservation however she rudely told us that could not be done since we booked through a third party vendor. We explained that when we originally called the hotel to book the room directly the gentlemen at the hotel said if we got it cheaper through booking to go ahead and do that and we could add our rewards number during check in, her reply was "there's no way another member in staff would say that" we unfortunately did not remember the staff members name whom we originally spoke with. She continued to have a rude attitude through the rest of our check in process. She then told us there was parking in the rear of the building on the street, however neglected to mention there was no rear entrance door to the hotel. This felt very deliberate after the gentleman at the vallet on our way back in was very apologetic and stated that is usually mentioned during check in after we asked if there was a back entrance. As elite Marriott rewards members this has been our one and only negative experience upon first impressions. However the rest of the staff was very friendly from the restaurant staff to the rest of the front desk and valet attendants.

The hotel and room were very clean. We liked the fireplace in the room although it did get a bit warm we just opened a window.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Good enough to try again. The staff is amazing 😊
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The restaurant breakfast was really disappointing, after such great room service to have cold coffee hard pancakes and poor choice and really slim pickings for fruit was not the best way to start the day.

The staff was really helpful . The room service was excellent!

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Location was great for walking around downtown, the staff...
    • Queen Room

The room was very small and the bed was very firm.

Location was great for walking around downtown, the staff was super friendly and helpful and the indoor hot tub was a nice way to relax after a day of adventures.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Awesome location for a wedding anniversary celebration

It's too bad with the cost of a Junior suite one would think that the cost of parking would've been included in the price of the room.

I had phoned a couple of months prior when making the reservation and had asked if possible to get a specific room that I was married in for our tenth wedding anniversary this weekend. Staff made it possible plus also provided a lovely welcoming card, bottle of sparkling wine and a box of truffle chocolates

It wa very pleasant. Not long enough
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I didn't like that I accidentally booked 2 rooms, called Booking back in December and thought it was all cleared up: only to find out upon arrival that they were still booked. This was your fault not the hotels. They were wonderful as we couldn't get through to you !

The staff are friendly and helpful. Very informative

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Great place to stay but eat elsewhere.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The food at the restaurant was horrible.

The staff were welcoming and helpful. The room was very comfortable as was the bed. The valet service was very reasonable and convenient. The location was steps away from the heart of downtown Banff.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

loved banff and marriot hotel a great place to stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

breakfast wasn,t that great and needed a better menu for dinner

location was great and so was the staff loved the open fire needed to be able to sit in front of it though, room was very comfortable loved the pool

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Great value service, food and spa!

Room service was a bit pricey.

Great service, food, and facilities. Rooms spotless, and comfy. Spa facilities superb! We so enjoyed our stay and will be back!

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Another fabulous visit to Banff! The Royal Canadian Lodge was the perfect home base for us.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We could have used more storage space for our clothing.

We loved the steam room, having a small fridge, having a window that opened, and the very comfortable bed. The bathroom was especially lovely, something that we remember from our first stay at the hotel many years ago. The ski shuttles stop right in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Great mineral pool and eucalyptus sauna. Room service disappointing.

Ordered 7up for upset stomach/nausea. 2 hrs later, still no soda. Boyfriend went down to see what was the delay? They just.....Forgot. bar had closed and no 7up or sprite available.

Nice pool/sauna. Room decent for price. Easy check in.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

The room was very nice, classy, and clean.

Check-in was a MESS! What a disaster... we were told we could pay at the end of the trip, however were forced to pay up-front. Then were informed there was a $15/day charge to park our vehicle... which was not mentioned anywhere when booking. Breakfast was VERY expensive to have at the hotel.

The room was very nice, classy, and clean.

Cute and Cozy!

We were upgraded to a premium room with a cute little fireplace that made the room that much cozier :) The pool was very relaxing and intimate and reminded me literally of a grotto.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Good choice in Banff

Charge for parking!

Nice bar and restaurant. Decent menus for both and food good. Friendly barman who chatted to everyone and made people feel comfortable and welcome. Breakfasts were ok, lots of choice but nothing special although serving staff were lovely, very friendly and chatty. Room was quiet and comfortable, very clean and had a nice big bathroom. Lots of closet and storage space. Decent swimming pool, hot pool and sauna in basement. There is also a small room with some gym equipment and a spa but we didn't use either so can't comment on them. It was very expensive to stay here but Banff is a very expensive place and it was a lot nicer than some of the other hotels. Approximately 10 minute walk from the town centre but it was a nice level walk and helped us walk off some of the huge meals.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

A great Banff experience.
    • Delta Room

Buffet breakfast could be a lot better for the price - not much variety and food average. View from room horrible.

Room was great. Staff excellent (especially the Australian valet).

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Overall Great Stay
    • Premier Room

The bathroom wasn't great. Shower was over the bath, bath was a small wirl-pool bath and the jets were yellow, not pleasant. Far better to lose the bath and have a good sized step in shower. Housekeeping wasn't perfect, the room was clean but the bathroom not quite (the floor needed a good mop). We only had housekeeping once during our stay (our choice) but the bath wasn't wiped round despite me moving our toiletries so it could be.

The staff were fantastic, the nicest we've come across during our 3 weeks in Canada (and they've all been good). Location is pretty good, a 10 minute walk to the shops bars and restaurants. The pool, spa and steam room were lovely after a day's hiking. Big room with sitting area and huge bed. The hotel has a lovely cosy feel to it with nice pictures and paintings hanging on the walls and warm decor.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

very nice

room service

nice hotel,we stay 3night here, everything is good except I found the towel has not been changed in last night, a little dissatisfied caused

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Comfy beds,nice large room,quiet setting.
    • Delta Room

Although the indoor parking was very safe and convenient, I think complimentary parking would add a nice touch.

Comfy beds,nice large room,quiet setting. enjoyed the complimentary Starbuck coffee in the morning. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

The location was good.
    • Premier Room

Was expecting something a little more lodge like from the pictures. With all the choices in town, I think I would have preferred something more rustic.

The location was good. Everything was clean and all the staff were very polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Wonderful large room - everyone was extremely polite and...
    • Deluxe King Suite

Wonderful large room - everyone was extremely polite and helpful. Also gave us some good info for hiking. The location was awesome as well. We would definitely come back, we recommend it highly.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

OK but clearly suffering from the same staff shortage in Banff as other businesses.
    • Delta Room

The room wasn't ready when we arrived at 4 pm and it took 30 minutes to get it ready. The air con was very noisy so we either had problems sleeping because of the noise or because we turned it off and the room became too warm.

Bedroom was a good size. A reasonable 20 minute walk to the centre of town

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

A wonderful place to stay in Banff
    • Premier Room

The breakfast buffet was a little expensive for what was offered.

The staff was very friendly, and the room was wonderful. The location is very good as well. And as a bonus, there's free Starbuck's coffee in the lobby in the morning.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

A Great Place to Stay in Banff
    • Deluxe King Suite

The room needs some updating. But minor issue as we very much enjoyed our stay.

The staff was outstanding particularly Kylie and Michael were of great assistance and always smiling and friendly. Very nice hotel, great location and staff is tops.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Good location.
    • Deluxe King Suite

A bit over-priced for what you get. The underground parking is useful, but $15 per day is a bit steep given the amount paid for the room.

Good location. Pool and sauna were a nice bonus. Comfortable bed and big room.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

The Delta Royal Canadian helped to make our visit to Banff exceptional.
    • Premier Room

We liked everything. The complimentary bikes made it so easy to explore town. We also found the staff to be great. They went above and beyond to make everything easy during our stay.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Great spot if a tad pricey for the ameneties.
    • Premier Room

It's an older property, quite nice overall but don't expect quite the same luxury of other Delta properties. Price was high as per Banff during the Stampede. Parking is expensive on site.

Great restaurant on site. Great staff and comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

6.0
    Disappointing stay
    • Delta Room

Hotel was tired and the rooms small. The hotel was way overpriced for what it offered. Parking was extra and was on the basis of first in first served. So to be guaranteed a parking space we had to occupy a parking spot early. This greatly restricted our sightseeing activities.

Staff helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

A nice, comfortable hotel but overpriced.
    • Deluxe King Suite

Housekeeping wasn't consistent--didn't make up room one day until called at 4:00pm. Nice, spacious room but not a good value.

Very comfortable bed; spacious room.

Very helpful staff - nice size room and quiet - lovely...
    • Premier King Room

Very helpful staff - nice size room and quiet - lovely breakfast - convenient underground parking

Fantastic
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel was well situated , well staffed, great restaurant and lounge, and more than met our needs

Very comfortable

The restaurant was a little overpriced.

Junior Suite was quite large and comfortable. Ice machine

Clean convenient but in need of a facelift

Very dated

Convenient to shops and restaurants in town.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Views from hotel aren’t why you’d stay here

Convenient to shops and restaurants in town. The on-site restaurant Evergreen prepared great meals!

Great hotel, location and staff.

Fantastic staff
    • Premier King Room

The bus for the mountains stops right in front of the hotel

Great customer service.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Great customer service. Arrived a day early to beat a winter storm. Great accommodations for my specific needs.

Jacuzzi didn’t work in our room

Jacuzzi didn’t work in our room

A very nice hotel in a beautiful location

The staff were friendly and very helpful.

I would stay here again. Excellent room for the price.
    • Premier King Room

Pillows were uncomfortable for both myself and my spouse.

Super friendly staff. Very nice room with fireplace and robes.

Awesome hotel, great stay, comfortable room and good location

Great place to stay - everything was perfect from check in to check out

Hotel staff were awesome.
    • Premier King Room

Hotel staff were awesome. Very nice hotel.

The hot tub was at an extremely hot temperature.
    • Premier King Room

The hot tub was at an extremely hot temperature. Other guests commented on how uncomfortably hot it was too.

The overall stay was very good

The overall stay was very good

Restaurant staff were excellent.

Wifi was of poor quality. There were limited vegetarian choices at the restaurant.

Restaurant staff were excellent. Room was very comfortable.

Ok to stay 1 night, but really expensive for what you get.

Facility is old.

Good but pricey
    • Premier King Room

Quite a way from town centre

Quiet location, good parking, good food