Reviews of Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington 4 stars

1875 Barrington Street, Downtown Halifax, B3J 3L6 Halifax, Canada

#14 of 38 hotels in Halifax

• Queen Room with City View

The parking thing is a little bit of a pain, but not too bad, the staff retrieved our vehicle from valet parking in fairly quick order!

Staff helped me get breakfast before the hotel restaurant was actually open for business which I really appreciated as I had to be somewhere and could not wait for the normal opening.

• Queen Room with City View

There's two Deltas almost right across street from each other, Delta Hotels by Mariott Barrington & Delta Hotels by Mariott Halifax. Myself and some family made multiple bookings...we were not all in same hotel. Really frustrating when you don't notice one word difference in name. They wouldn't change us to same hotel because of discounted rate booking. If anyone is booking multiple rooms, just pay attention where you're booking. The Halifax one has a better pool area.

It's a nice hotel in a good location.

• Queen Room with City View

The pictures of this property are misleading. It's not near as modern and polished as we had anticipated.

Bed was comfortable, especially the pillows. The staff was amazing and the valet parking was super convenient.

• Queen Room with City View

Special rate for guests attending the Men's Final 8 Basketball Championship - sadly i registered in advance of the "special rate" It did not however deter me from staying at the BARRINGTON... I have attended 23 of 28 championships hosted in Halifax - and my Hotel of choice still - and - will remain The Delta Barrington... See ya' in March 2019

The staff was outstanding - I was greeted by Sasha at the front desk upon arrival... Gaeten - in the bar (TEMPO) was fabulous... I'm into the "green" program you offer re: linen and towels...congrats....

• Queen Room with City View

The rooms are very dated. Carpet needs cleaning and replacement. It was very crowded with noisy children running all over the place.

The beds were good. Location was good

• Queen Room with City View

Honestly, nothing. It was wonderful.

Walking distance to everything we wanted to get to. We just left the key in the room for check out which was nice and convenient.

• Double Room with City View

I DECLINED ROOM SERVICE FOR MY THREE-DAY STAY AS REQUESTED BY YOUR "MAKE A DIFFERENCE" CARD BUT YOU SHOULD LEAVE A FEW PACKAGES OF COFFEE IN THE ROOM, NOT JUST ONE.

QUIET. NO CLEANING STAFF MAKING NOISE IN THE EARLY MORNING.

• Double Room with City View

My booking was very last minute. I made it online and showed up about two minutes later. The front desk staff was super accommodating and helpful. The bellman, Simon, was great as well. Big shout out to him because my car can be a little touchy after sitting in the cold all night and usually has some trouble starting in the morning, he handled it like a champ. Thanks Simon and staff of Delta Barrington! Y’all are great and I’ll definitely be staying with you again.

• Queen Room with City View

The service at the hotel is excellent. This was my second stay here for work, my first was in 2014, and it was also excellent. The location is fantastic, it is clean and quiet and having an onsite restaurant is a major plus. The cab ride is between $60-80 though, but that is what it costs to get to downtown Halifax. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Double Room with City View

The bathroom was clean but a little dated.

Great location. Hotel is connected to the elevated, covered walkway system that joins a major part of downtown Halifax. Delta Barrington staff are excellent - helpful, professional, friendly and accommodating. The restaurant attached to the hotel is not fancy but serves great food and the bar is friendly with perhaps the best server I have ever encountered. Gaetan is a professional who loves his job and it shows. He knows Halifax and shares his expertise.

• Premier King Room with City View

My room key was continuously de-magnetized meaning multiple trips had to be made back down to the main desk to have the key fixed to access my room.

The bed was very comfy.

• Queen Room with City View

Cleaning products should be scent-free.

Room Service was awesome! The room was nice and cozy. Although the scent of a cleaning product was too strong.

• Double Room with City View

When arriving there was no place to turn in with the car. I needed to figure out myself and turn round and round the block to even find. Place to stop. Then there was no parking nearby, so valet parking or finding a parking place myself was required and not cheap.

My expectations of the property were exactly met.

• Double Room with City View

Very difficult to park in front for check-in. Extremely noisy throughout the night. Other guests were yelling/partying in an adjoining room until 3am. I called the front desk about this but the noise continued. I mentioned it again upon checkout but they were unwilling to offer me any kind of compensation. Also, the room did not appear to be cleaned properly. I will not be staying here again.

• Double Room with City View

The pool needs renovations, but it is nice that they put a temporary lining instead of closing the pool.

The tempo restaurant was very good. The beds were very comfy. The décor has a Scottish feel to it. The location was great walking distance to many points of interest. The staff in kilts added charm.

• Double Room with City View

Garbage bucket in washroom was left from previous person. Never had no glasses in my room at all for drinking. Never checked if I needed coffee filters ever day Was

• Queen Room with City View

The room was very small. We were expecting it to be a bit bigger so we were a little cramped travelling with a baby.

the staff is amazing! so helpful and personable:)

nothing, They were awesome

My daughter stayed their alone and I was a little concerned as it was her first time traveling on her own, She had been on a boat the week before and had a terrible time and was upset. The front desk manager Megan was so reassuring and promised she would take good care of my daughter. She even went the extra mile and put a bottle of coke and some candy in her room on arrival as a surprise, And they upgraded her to a nicer room!

• Double Room with City View

They have no self parking and it is $25/day for valet. While the valet was very efficient I do not like to have to pay such a high parking rate and then, of course, tip the valet on top which made parking effectively $35/day!

The bed was extremely comfortable. The staff were very nice and helpful.

• Double Room with City View

Our room was a little dated. We need assistance from the front desk with the air conditioning. It was tough to get going and loud.

Very convenient location while travelling on foot. Staff was amazing and kind. The bed was very comfy.

• King Room with Club Lounge Access

The price. Except for meeting my needs on location. I didn't find any real value for the money. I would have been just as comfortable at a Comfort Inn for 1/3 the price.

Location to down town.

• Queen Room with City View

Before booking I call and asked if they had a hotub and was told that they did have one. But on arrival we found out that there was no hotub. If I had of known that there wasn't a hotub I would have booked elsewhere.

Friendly staff and convenient location downtown.

• Queen Room with City View

The room was extremely small and dingy for the price we paid for it, my husband and I booked the room online for a night out they called me before hand and said i would have to pay for the room upfront so i did and that was it... figuring the room was paid for i took a few hundred dollars from the bank and left everything else at home we checked in and he told us he needed a credit card for a 100$ deposit which we left at home thinking the room was paid for and asked if we could pay it in cash he said yes but not its $250 so it took most of our money we had for our night out and kind of screwed us it would have been fine if it had mentioned this in the booking or one of the 3 people i was talking to when i paid for the room i would have prepared for it.. anyways we had no choice but to give them the money since there was no cancellation on the room we wouldn't get out money back so we were stuck. We will not be back

It was in a good location to walk to everythig

• Double Room with City View

nothing except the first night we had no power, but the hotel staff tried their best to help us.

the bed was very comfortable and housekeeping excellent and efficient

• Double Room with City View

Really comfy bed, staff were super friendly and helpful, Tempo restaurant in the hotel has THE best fish chowder ever. We loved bring able to pop down to the lobby and have Starbucks coffee available too.

• King Room with Club Lounge Access

My daughter and I surprised my husband for his birthday at this hotel, so I will write this review for him.... We stayed here for The "Red Nose Run" last year and were looking for a great excuse to come back! The staff was AMAZING. They always do the extra little things that mean so much more than they know! My husband travels internationally for work and tells me the staff here are the best he has come across! Thanks for making his birthday fun!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Queen Room with City View

On top of the already pricey $200 room we had to pay an additional $25 to park and there was no fridge in our room. Plus there are 2 Delta Hotels on the same street which makes it confusing to find.

Lovely furniture & spacious room.

• Queen Room with City View

Minus for not being able to open any of the windows. The breakfast selection was nice, but I would have preferred buffet as is normal in Europe. The noisy music in the restaurant was lowered a bit by request, but raised again a short while later.. Who wants loud music over their breakfast, this is not a bar..!

Very good beds, big room, nice and clean all over. Very central location, several restaurants nearby. All in all a very nice hotel, with excellent accomodating and friendly staff!

• Queen Room with City View

Interior decor of rooms severely outdated from the artwork, carpet, lamps, to the bed's headboard; quite an eyesore. I expected more from the rooms at the pricepoint I was paying.

Beds were very comfortable. Service at the concierge was excellent. Convenience through pedways to casino much appreciated.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Double Room with City View

It would help a lot if you provided free parking. Parking is too expensive.

Everything was great. From the friendly staff, the clean room, the restaurant. Everything.

• Double Room with City View

Size of room and beds were a bit small but all in all a nice hotel.

The location was great. Valet parking was great the bellman were awesome. The bed were a bit small but comfortable.

• Premier King Room with City View

The staff was a little rude at the end to the kids. Telling them they need to stay in the rooms when you book a hotel as a group team you need to expect kids will be runing around .

It was nice to have food court and bear by restaurants

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Double Room with City View

Love the location and hotel the best part is the staff, when i arrived i jokingly said do you remember me and Patrick said no i'm sorry I don't, so I told him after this trip he would remember me. I told him that this time I brought Baileys for my coffee, after getting settled in our room a staff member knocked on the door, he had a carafe of coffee and said here is your coffee, I told him he must have the wrong room because we did not order coffee, he hands me a note and the note said "to go with your coffee, Patrick" I have to tell you I travel at least once a month, this small gesture made my weekend amazing THANK YOU PATRICK I will see you in April or May. Only place I will ever stay in Halifax

• Double Room with City View

The parking.......it was quite a trek and expensive!

I enjoyed being able to go to the mall in my slippers, especially during those cold wintery days in Feb. I did find the parking quite a distance to walk and will choose to stay at the Delta Halifax instead during our next visit in tehenext couple of weeks.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Double Room with City View

The pool was in very bad condition. It had a liner installed that was loose and bubbled in places. It was small, no deep section. There was a party going on in the neighbouring room with loud music and drunken people carrying on. I eventually complained to the staff. They turned down the music a little, but still carried on most of the night. Banging was so hard on the walls at one point the mirror on our wall was banging too. Could hear women screaming and laughing most of the night. Definitely the room was over the allowable capacity and staff did nothing. Felt like I was treated different than other customers for paying cash. Despite paying a huge deposit in cash on the room. No self parking on site. They have a private lot that is valet only. Otherwise you have to pay for parking at a neighbouring shopping mall. Not really ideal. Hot water took an incredibly long time to come to taps and we were on the first floor.

The beds were comfortable and clean. The room was acceptably clean.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Double Room with City View

1- The bed lining ( specially Pillows ) have a poor smell. 2- The room small. 3- Even no free coffee at the small lobby area. 4- The daily rate is considered on the higher side specially when Brakefast not included and when compared to other Hotels/ Motels. 5- The food quality was just Ok

the Staff friendly attitude.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Double Room with City View

Parking is always a problem. Cost of $25 plus taxes for valet parking per day. But the valet service is very good.

The bed was very comfortable and our Granddaughter enjoyed the pool very much. The breakfast was included but if we had to pay for it, the prices were a little high but the service was excellent and the food good.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Queen Room with City View

Couldn't figure out how to turn the shower on but that could just be user error

Bed was so comfy, staff incredibly helpful and friendly, booking so simple and straightforward

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Double Room with City View

Information provided in in-room literature was inaccurate, leading us to believe that food service would be available two hours later than it actually was.

Helpful, friendly, accommodating staff..

• Queen Room with City View

Our reservations were made well over a month in advance for 2 rooms, when we arrive for checkin only one room was ready. Had to wait almost 1 hour for the 2nd room for my daughter, husband and young grandson. Was told at the desk that others had checked in before us and our 2nd room wasn't ready. Made feel as though we/our reservation was less important than others that checked in. Same excuse given multiple times from the gentleman when we were checking in. Checked in the 2nd room at the same time as 1st room (even though it wasn't ready for us) and and as told that the key cards would be brought to our room as soon as the 2nd room was cleaned. After waiting for almost an hour I called to front desk to ask how much longer for the 2nd room and they said we could come down and check in and get the keys that the room was ready. I explained that we HAD checked in and that we were told the keys would be brought to us!!!! They were then brought to us within 5 minutes. I have never felt so unwelcome and unimportant as this last visit..there was a kind lady, I believe she was management staff, that did approach us and apologize but I still don't feel as though this make up for our were were made feel with the whole process.

The convenience/location to all locations that we were visiting while in Halifax

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Double Room with City View

Wish the hotel had a jaccusi , or "hot tub" in or by the pool. It would have been wonderful to be enjoying the hot tub, in the courtyard area, in the center of the building , during the winter time, snow coming down....

Great location, close to the pier Boardwalk. Like the market are, and the special events on that weekend.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Queen Room with City View

despite talking with staff in restaurant about being celiac and being assured that the breakfast was GF, I was served a sausage that wasn't.

Very friendly front desk and concierge staff

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Double Room with City View

Soundproofing was not good. I could hear people in their rooms talking and laughing, doors opening and closing, people walking in the hallway. If it had been late, it might have kept me awake.

The view of Historic Properties was great! The beds were comfortable and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double Room with City View

That I was charged for parking and some parking fee to where my bill was almost 200 for 1 night, too expensive for me

I liked its location and how good they were to accommodate us with a room with a view of the parade

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Delta 2 Doubles Non Smoking

There really wasn't anything we didn't like. The staff were absolutely fantastic and the rooms were very comfortable and spacious.

Really liked the valet parking and how accommodating the staff were with helping us.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Queen Room with City View

I was unable to connect my laptop to your WIFI even though it worked on my smartphone. Seems like the converter was very difficult to press in order to change the channels on the TV

The room was comfortable (bed)

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double Room with City View

The staff were great very friendly and made you welcome. when we check in I told them it was my sister-in-law birthday later that day they should up at our room with a card and cake to wish her a happy birthday. That was a really nice thing they did.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Queen Room with City View

(Front)Staff are horrible- We arrived a little early, wore out from travel, looking to get checked in a little early to get a rest- no way, didn't want to talk about it (Kyle, I later identified him). When we finally got a room, it was a single, not a double (had my son with me). Called down lady was OK to switch, when I went down another guy there, struggled to do it, I had to get upset before he finally completed same- undue stress for sure. I wouldn't go back there again- they will do NOTHING extra for you, that's for sure.

Ned was comfortable, excellent location.

• Queen Room with City View

From the pic's I seen on the site I thought the room would have been a little bigger and updated.

Very friendly staff ! Paid attention to detail which had went along way !! Bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Neighbors were loud in the early mornings at 1-3am (this was not addressed by staff as this continued on through the morning hours), the room smelled musty, wallpaper is peeling off the walls,fridge wasn't working properly (didn't keep our beverages cold). Cleaning service came to the door to clean room at 10am when checkout was not required until 12. I realize we did not spend alot of money however for the money that was spent on a "nice hotel" I do not feel we recieved the quality service that is expected or guarenteed with this hotel. We were extremely disappointed and felt the room and service recieved was not welcoming. In future I would not recommend this hotel or spend my money here again based on the condition of the room/issues, problems with noisy neighbors and service provided from guest services. I would look forward to a response from the hotel regarding the issues we experienced above.

The bed was extremely comfy.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Double Room with City View

Very little area to load/unload in the front of hotel on a super busy street.

Convenient to downtown Halifax. Location includes a good restaurant and lounge.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

There are two Delta hotels and I got confused and went to the wrong one first.. I was the 5th person to do so that day - must be a common problem - they are both near to one another... NO on site parking - valet parking is easy. If you don't know where you are going it is hard to find. Stain on comforter cover. However the good overcame the bad! Nice restaurant for breakfast adjacent.

Friendly staff - comfortable beds - great comfortable room and spacious.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Not much of a view out of the window, but wasn't my focus on this trip anyways.

Location is excellent. You wouldn't need a car for within Halifax or Dartmouth. Concierge service is exceptionally excellent. Had an issue that the airline lost my bag. Hotel offered further support with additional essentials. Appreciated that!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Very nice young man showed us to our room and helped with our luggage. He even helped us pull a joke on our friends. We had a beautiful, extra large corner room.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Property is not 4-star, more like 3.25. Furnishings have an old / antiquated feel.

Staff was very helpful and quickly attended to the issues we had with our room. Great location.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Double Room with City View

Corridors were cluttered with cleaning part Ie Vacuums and carts The room was not cleaned as we would like , Bathroom floor not cleaned , No extra toilet tissue had to call for it Glasses were not changed or cleaned in main room The bath glasses were changed

Location, Front desk persons when friendly and help up in all our needs , From having our car ready and helpful with any questions we had

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Queen Room with City View

parking is difficoult for pick up and drop off.,valet parking helps

welcoming,reassuring staff at midnight arrival;perfect location with access to downtown and ,very good restaurant on the premises .Clean and quiet

• King Room with Club Lounge Access

The hotel needs to provide more staff in the Signature Lounge. The poor hostess was run off her feet and often had to leave to restock (she was very sweet despite being harried). Guests should be reminded that they should not bring in outside guests (who deplete food and beverages meant for paying guests).

Close to everything - food and fun

• Queen Room with City View

The rooms could have been more updated and there was no view. We were over the entrance very noisy and the pool was terrible.

We liked the location and the convenience of a bar and restaurant in the hotel

Nothing to note.

The room and amenities were fine and what you would expect from Delta/Marriott. The staff were excellent. Special thanks to the front desk staff that got a tired family checked in a bit early , and to the member of the valet staff that went out of his way to get some fruit for the kids as other options were closed early due to the holiday.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Double Room with City View

Wifi connection in our room was weak, but we still very much enjoyed our stay.

Two of the concierge staff were exceptional. Michael and Frank were very pleasant, helpful, fun gentlemen who took the extra time to assist us with day trip destinations and dinner recommendations. We enjoyed Frank's "office" in the stairwell where he pointed out key points of interest for our day trips on the map! Michael and Frank are assets to your hotel. They definitely helped make our Nova Scotia trip a memorable one! Thanks guys!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Excellent hotel! Convenient and close to everything. The bartender did not know a certain drink I wanted however he looked it up and made it exceptionally well!!

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Hash browns at breakfast were covered in an unpleasant spice, which we couldn't eat. I suggest indicating this on the menu.

Location was fantastic. Room was clean and had a wonderful decor. Valet parking was fast and efficient.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Queen Room with City View

It will soon be due for some new furniture. It really will start to look shabby after a year or 2

The most exceptional part of this hotel is its attentive staff . They are uber helpful and friendly , the customer service training is exceptional and also has a lot to do with the great people they hire !!

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Queen Room with City View

The doors on the rooms close with a bang and you here it every time a door closes. Putting soft closers on the door or calking around them would reduce the noise considerably.

I got upgraded to the Executive area and had a wonderful large and quiet room. Super hotel and highly recommend it. Close to all the sites and the Tempo restaurant was fantastic with quick and pleasant service (I had a meeting to get to). Free bottles of water, chocolates daily in my room and a small dish of hard candies were a pleasant surprise.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Queen Room with City View

Location was close to the museums and other interesting things along the boardwalk. We were particularly impressed with the the Maritime museum. Staff were quite helpful in giving directions to various locations around the city.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Double Room with City View

Was a real pain to get through to the restaurant for breakfast. Time was of the essence because my father is a diabetic, and so it was quite frustrating.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Double Room with City View

Why can North American hotels not have telephone shower-heads?

Older hotel centrally located; has had a make-over since I was last there and while the rooms are a bit dated, the foyer and restaurant are ultra-modern. Staff were excellent. Restaurant was suburb.

Price to value.

Helpful and friendly staff. Convenience to down town restaurants.

• Double Room with City View

location was great and the breakfast was good!

• Queen Room with City View

Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful

• Queen Room with City View

There was no free parking.

It was close to the bars walking distance.

No parking