Reviews of Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax 4 stars

1990 Barrington Street, Downtown Halifax, B3J 1P8 Halifax, Canada

#19 of 37 hotels in Halifax

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Downtown location

Valet parking parked my car outside instead of inside the parkade because it was a standard and charged me $29 for the trouble. Had I known, I could’ve parked myself for $16. If you have valet parking, please ensure all staff can drive manual.

Downtown location

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Comfortable stay, great location, good restaurant

Dated decor. Pool way too noisy at 9 pm with screaming kids; locker area dim and dated, tv’s blaring in workout area. Went back to my room

Comfy bed, professional, personable service. Restaurant exceeded expectations in food quality

room service and staff were very friendly, but a little slow...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place is very old and the carpet isn't clean in some parts of the corridors. The price is a little expensive compared to the property. Some rooms are hard to reach through the twists and many corridors.

room service and staff were very friendly, but a little slow during check-in hours.

Except for my room issues, was a pleasant stay

I have been staying in this hotel since the late 80's early 90's, this was the first time I was disappointed. My key card never worked and every time I left the room I got locked out and had to go to the front desk sometimes more than once to get access to my room. The card key system is in dire need to be upgraded, and to top it off there were no lights in my bathroom. For the price of this room my expectations were a lot higher.

The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the location was great with access to everything

Friendly staff, good location. Rooms need upgrading.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were okay but nothing extraordinary for what we paid. Bathroom very tiny. We could hear the elevator coming and going all the time. Couldn't get the air conditioning to work the first night but then we figured it out. The controls on the walls did not work. We were told it was a good deal for the price but the hotel needs an overhaul, rooms are dated.

Staff was friendly, restaurant very nice, lobby was nice

Great location, comfortable hotel.

Eggs!!

Good restaurant, although egg yokes very hard. Great location for walking around downtown Halifax. Convenient underground parking, leading into hotel lobby.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Excellent location.

Excellent location. Close to all amenities. Nice covered walk to casino and harbourfront. Very comfortable beds, daily cleaning with fresh bottle waters, handy small fridge, good service desk, cute old-fashioned security box at front desk, easy access to parking and shopping in Scotia centre.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

We loved our stay at the Delta Halifax and we would definitely stay here again.

The rooms are dated and need a refresh ie wall paper peeling off walls in room, vanity cracked in bathroom.

The staff were so helpful and friendly and the bed was very comfortable. We loved the restaurant at the hotel.

Very enjoyable stay all arround.

Did not find anything about hotel I did not like.

Staff very friendly and helpful restaurant waiter was excellent. Rooms very clean and comfortable. Great location close to waterfront. Very quiet.

Wonderful, clean hotel close enough for walking to fun major waterfront!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

only thing i didn't like where the memory foam pillows.. they looked expensive but too fat for my liking.. haha

It was very nice in a great location !Clean rooms,happy to have a pool also...

Delta Mariott, centrally located and super comfy!

All was fine, nothing negative

Friendly and attentive staff, especially Alex and Ivette. The deluxe breakfast was the best of any hotel I have experienced. The hotel is located on the downtown Halifax Barrington Rd.. We never used our car for the two-day stay! Enjoyed the spacious indoor pool.

A little pricey for the room, but location makes up for it.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was an issue with there system and when I was trying to check in, they couldn't get authorization but they didn't know why. I ended up having to use their on site bank machine to take the cash off my card...which is fine, but the check in process was about 30 minutes longer than necessary. Also, the rooms are very dated and the ceilings had a lot of water stains and cracks throughout

The location is good, lots of great food choices well within walking distance. The staff at check in were nice.

Location, location, location!

Room lacked some upgrades or finesse. The sink did hold water this time, and the shower worked great! Room was very clean and comfortable and would definitely stay there again if ever in Halifax.

The staff is AMAZING! The help from the front desk all the way to the Concierge is top-level. Early checkin was accommodated even though we were willing to check our bags and come back later. They even allowed a late checkout when our flight was delayed. Very professional on all levels! Not something you see too often these days. Kudos!!

Just a hotel.
    • Guest Room with Harbour View

Needs some major updates. Although it is a non smoking facility the entire hotel still smells like a time when it wasn’t. $25 per night parking is also ridiculous.

Very overpriced for the quality...room, food overpriced.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is very difficult (entry) if you don't know the area. One bed in the room was used prior to our arrival. The pillow and duvet was "rumpled" like someone had laid on it.

Bed

The only thing that made this experience bearable was the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

the hotel is located at the end of Barrington and can only be accessed from a ramp when heading in to the city, it took about 20 minutes to figure out how to get in and I'm quite familiar with the city. parking is in a garage and you must walk through a mall to get to hotel. the hotel had several conferences happening and had their company signs covering the directions to the rooms. a staff member entered our room without knocking. we requested a new room as ours had access to the rooftop area and we weren't comfortable with that. after the room change everything went smoothly.

The only thing that made this experience bearable was the staff. they were great!

The plumbing in our room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The plumbing in our room. The water did not drain out very fast. The first room had a bandage stuck to the smoke detector which was gross. Went down to get another room got up graded to queen beds had to pay extra. But other then that as far as clean goes it was very clean

We had an excellent stay at the delta all round.

Could have used a microwave in the room.

Ladies at the front desk were extremely helpful. The location was exactly what we wanted. A very comfortable room !

I had a fantastic birthday

My grandmother got lost. Trying to find the hotel. She went to the wrong one

That nobody bugged us. My partner and I were drinking and a afraid we were being too loud and nobody complained so that’s really good ! I also had no issues with noise. The hotel also let us check out later than 12 so that was great !

It was ok. Not as nice as our previous visit last month.

Bed wasn’t comfortable and the whirlpool was closed down both nights. Kids were in the pool area during the adult only time, slapping each other with pool noodles and yelling and running around.

Location and friendly staff

Mediocre
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Did not like that you had to pay for parking 20$ everyday after already paying 400$ for a hotel room and no free breakfast? Almost every other hotel has both of those. Hot tub in the pool area wasnt workinng and pool was FREEZING cold. No maid came and tidied up our room day to day.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Excellent customer service.

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times, the pros definitely outnumber the cons!

The air was very very dry and the bathroom floor was freezing. We stayed on the first floor

Super comfy bed and pillows, love the location, convenient sheltered access to casino. Shops and food court in the same building is a big plus in the winter months. Love the staff... everyone super friendly from the maintenance staff to the front desk!!

Overall it was a good stay. Keep in mind this stay was over Christmas Day and Boxing Day
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The following may have been affected by the fact it was Christmas Day / Boxing Day: The hot tub was not working. Found the temperature of the building hallways and pool area too cold. Elevators from parking area were not working so I was forced to walk from my car to hotel outside. Had to pay $44 dollars for parking for two nights when the parkade sign said max $20 per day. We were supposed to get free parking for the Xmas Dinner but that didn’t happen. If I could change or recommend a change it would be to lower the parking fees. The steep parking fees of $22 per night will keep me from staying again especially when the parkade signs state maximum $20. Instead of validating the ticket at the hotel I could have saved by just paying the parkade directly.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Lots of plugs and charging ports. The Wifi actually connected and worked without any hassle. There was decent speed to do most social media and web browsing and Netflix (via mobile phone and tablet). Having a fridge was great. We were on a high floor. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. We were able to check in Early. We attended an Xmas buffet dinner which was good. The hotel has a nice pool area and gym.

Very friendly staff

I was a bit disappointed by the size of the bathroom. I’ve stayed at Delta hotels in the past and there was always a huge shower. I was hoping for a walk in, rather than the tub we had.

Very friendly staff

Enjoyed a great weekend at the Delta Halifax

wifi was so slow I gave up trying to use it.

My stay here was very comfortable; I loved the room, it was so cozy. The room was very clean and quiet. Room service was enjoyable. The only issue I had was with the wifi; it was so slow I gave up trying to use it and that was very disappointing because I had things on my computer I wanted to do while I was relaxing in my room. Otherwise, everything else was perfect. I will be back again for sure.

Very enjoyable!

There was no bathtub in my room. This did not bother my husband but I like a bath before going to bed. I'm sure if I requested another room I would of been accommodated- so not a big deal. I think it was a room for disabled people as the bathroom was huge and had things in the bathroom for assistance - good to know they do have rooms to help the disabled though.

Bed was comfy.

Access to Scotia Bank Center was perfect!

I book at the Delta several times a year with Bookings.com and have had no problems. This trip when I booked online there was a discounted breakfast promotion. When I checked in at the hotel they did not want to honor it. It took several trips to the front desk and the manager to straighten it out. The bedding for the pullout sofa was not provided in the room although the booking included children. Overall this was not our best hotel experience.

Access to Scotia Bank Center was perfect!

Pool and hot tub
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms too small,rug on floor, bathroom sink was weird. Beds were just okay, wasn't fond of the bedding. Did love the ability to open door and window to the outside!

Pool and hot tub

Warm, welcoming and cozy. Perfect spot for visitors.

Tyler at the front desk from our arrival til our departure won us over. Pleasant, enthusiastic with answering any of our questions, very informative. He is a keeper regarding Hospitality and hotel image.

Great location, ridiculously over priced. Would not stay here in the future.

The price... when booking we figured it would be a very nice room because it was around $400 but we got there and it was small and very basic... I've had much nicer suites and paid about $100 less in larger cities such as Toronto.

Really just the location. It's very central and we walked everywhere.

Overall a very positive stay

Breakfast fare was a little expensive

Great downtown location - near all downtown business needs. Very comfortable bed and really clean amenities Wash/bathroom in room was rather small to get around but certainly nicely done

Good stay, nice location, easy to get around.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioner very loud!!!!!

Clean facility, nice small eating area, excellent staff, good walking location, close to waterfront & historic points of interest.

Not worth the high rate for what we got.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Terrible advertised "harbor view", the drain in the bathtub wouldn't drain during a shower, the fridge was making a loud grinding noise we had to unplug it to get any sleep, our room was directly outside a busy entrance/exit/pool/elevator and when we first waking in the wall art was hanging off its hook - no attention to detail. And no safe.

Beds were very comfortable.

Started tough but ended up great.

When there is a band playing ( DJ too?) in the 8th floor ballroom just hope your room is in the first floor.

Staff very accommodating on comping us after a sleepless night due to the room being so close (two flights below the ballroom) where music was so loud it shook the room.....until 1:00 in the morning after calling and going to front desk at 12:00 in the middle of the night. Staff friendly and happy ! Must be the sea air lol.

If staying again I would ask for a better room . Not close to the courtyard or pool or on the first
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The floors need an update and needs to be soundproof. Could hear everything and everyone coming and going all hours of the night. The fan was not adjustable. So we couldn't drown out the noise. It would suddenly turn on and off all hours of the night. Startling you each time. We didn't sleep much . Great location .

Breakfast was ok but coffee was not.
    • Guest Room with Harbour View

We arrived quite early 11:;30 am andwe were told we needed to wait till 3 pm for our room to be ready - then and after 4 hours of keeping busy and returning to hotel we were told that the people were still in our room and the room was not ready. We paid for harbour view harbour view and the front desk then offered us farst floro room which we didn't want because of poor view ,so the front desk offered second floor- not much better. The room was a wheel chair adapted room which we didn't want -low sink and toilet etc but were too tired to bother to complain but found it awkward and inconsiderate of the front desk to place us there. Next day we left our room at about 10:;30 am only to come back at the very end of the day to find our room was not cleaned. We called the front desk and someone brought towels to our door and I had to ask the guy to take our used towels away. I have been to Delta Marriot hotels before and felt confident of the name and a guaranteed experience and was really disappointed and unimpressed. Quite honestly -we should have been offered something - a free night or a complementary breakfast for the inconvenience we had - The multiple issues would make me hesitant about the hotel chain which I presumed was better than this experience offered and I would be very hesitant to suggest the hotel to my sister who is travelling to Halifax next month. I appreciate the request for follow-up but quite honestly the important time to make things right is when your guests are trying to enjoy their stay, I was not impressed- and was disappointed. Not good on the Delta Marriot brand.

Breakfast was ok but coffee was not.

Sweet
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I don't think house keepers clean the rooms well. There was a knocking noise, that woke me up . And the drier in the bathroom did not work.

The location and spacious room

Great Location

Breakfasts pretty pricey, so we ate elsewhere. Last morning we discovered Tempo (restaurant in the Delta across the street). Excellent breakfast and price was good.

Location, walk thru the food court in adjacent building to get to the street the Scotia Bank Centre is on (you avoid the rain a little longer). Near the harbour and the water front, the Citadel, wonderful restaurants. We were there for 5 days and we walked everywhere.

Downtown location excellent.

Difficult access from Barrington street.

Staff on front desk, bell person and restaurant were all excellent. Underground shop and office connection. Walking distance to many great restaurants and casino.

Make informed decision before going Green.. it may be reduce someone's job!

Offered a "green alternative" no cleaning and donate bonus miles for trees. I had said yes but in retrospect I would like my bed made , amenities refilled and bathroom freshened while on a holiday . Also this only lessens staff hours and increases profits for the big company. We donated miles for planting trees on delta property. I would have liked to see a reforestation project than Delta profiting from the donation. Through booming . Com I thought I had booked the Delta Barrington( confirmation had a picture of that name) only to arrive unload then reload luggage and move to the other Delta. It seemed such an unnecessary glitch!

Proximity to waterfront.

Not worth the money.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No complimentary breakfast despite paying over $300/ night. Room was outdated and restaurant was extremely overpriced. Pool was old and dirty.

Staff was friendly.

Good location but needs a facelift

The descriptive term 'lavish amenities' is a bit of a misnomer....our room is a bit tired looking as are the hallways. etc....the hotel needs a bit of a facelift. LED Christmas lights adorning the entrance is not particularly classy (as an example). No automatic doors at the entrance which made bringing our beds in a bit difficult. The lobby, once you got inside the doors was nice.

Location is good. Staff was very welcoming and helpful.

We had a great view from our room.

Our only complaint was the confusion of how to get to your room from the parking garage. Had to take two different elevators. You take the elevator from the parking garage to the bottom floor. Go through the doors, walk down the hall, down the ramp and around the corner to the front desk, then around another corner to the elevators and up to your room.

We had a great view from our room. I like having control of the air conditioning. Very great location.

ExceptionalExperience
    • Guest Room with Harbour View

Rooms were tired looking. Very clean but could benefit from an update .

Staff were exceptional- from checkin to check out. Service was paramount. What lacked in modern decor the staff made up in spades. Location is perfect- within walking distance to all key sites and easy access to highway for day trips- Peggy's Cove a must.

The rate of the room.

The rate of the room. I don't understand why the price was different for the second night. You had to do less work for the second night. Also most hotels now serve a free breakfast. Eleanor Hall

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The pool and hot tub were great.

Despite booking the king suite they gave us a queen. The room itself was thoroughly average: it was very beige in person, the view was of the roof below, the sheets and towels slightly stiff. The bathtub had a bizarre lip on its back edge, which made taking a relaxing soak uncomfortable on the neck in any position. Breakfast was nice enough but came to $50 for two people... This is very much a hotel to stay for business, not pleasure. If your employer isn't footing the bill and you're not interested in the pool or location there are friendlier, more comfortable places to stay and for cheaper (see Hearthstone Inn in Dartmouth).

The pool and hot tub were great. Parking was simple (though we then found out you can park at the same place for $2 less without staying at the hotel). The downtown location was great.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Great stay again we will be back

Great location to restaurants in the downtown and close to the waterfront. Room was clean and King size bed was so comfortable. We will certainly be back again. This is our go to spot when we stay in Halifax.

Everything was great except the pool area needs to be cooler

the pool area is too warm. It's nice to have a warm pool but with the air being so warm, it defeats the purpose of the hot tube, can't go in it with out feeling like passing out from the heat.

the pedway system is awesome how everything sort connects to the hotel. beds are comfy and the blankets feel so good, like sleeping on a cloud.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Comfortable and convenient
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front desk guys weren't very friendly and were only reluctantly helpful. The managers were better though.

The beds were comfortable. The hotel was connected to the world trade and convention center where our conference was held. I liked that our room adjoined to our colleagues' room. I liked the valet parking.

Bed Was Roomy and comfortable.

Everything in bathroom made for small children. For sink had to bend over and then shrunch down. Toilet very low to the floor and small, not made for adults!

Bed Was Roomy and comfortable. Room decor was attractive and cosy. View of Harbour was excellent. Liked bar set up.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Great location great staff :)
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Free parking would have been nice

Bed was comfy, staff were really friendly and courteous, and although there was construction going on it didn't start until 10am :)

The staff went out of their way to help (show us around,...

The location was confusing, as there is another Delta across the street... parking was difficult.

The staff went out of their way to help (show us around, bring us wine glasses, etc.

It was good no more

I didn't like my room next to the elevator all I heard all night was the elevator going up and down. I found the tv too high to watch and way to far to watch from the bed. And I think parking should be free it's one thing to pay for parking but to be taxed on that is a little too much so last time I will stay at that property I will definitely shop around

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Nice variety at the continental breakfast.

bathroom was a little small.

Nice variety at the continental breakfast. Lots of coffee:) service was pleasant. I had a delta gift card and that took some time to sort out because they are under Marriott hotels now but again staff was very apologetic for the wait.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Great location and comfy bed!

Room very shabby and needs updating. Our door didn't latch properly as we discovered upon returning to the hotel. Fortunately nothing was missing. We have usually always been able to get a harbourview room during our visits to Hailifax hotels. I always request when booking. I didn't get the view this visit. Maybe that is why I noticed the room decor! We also booked a room for our daughter who flew in from another city. She accidentally left her key cards in her room. The female staff member on the front desk did not want to give her another card even though she had her picture ID and my husband was accompanying. her. They returned to the room and got my picture ID. The rep then wanted me at the front desk since I booked the rooms. I was in the shower so after some debate, the key card was finally replaced. All other staff were excellent. This seemed bizarre. We have never experienced such a hassle over room keys.

Bed comfy and clean as per usual for Delta hotels! Staff were friendly. Location is great and within walking distance of many restaurants, pubs, live music, and boardwalk along harbour. Pedways are convenient in inclement weather. Valet service excellent. We didn't visit the hotel lounge/restaurant this time but have enjoyed very good food and service on past visits.

Very pleasant.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet was really low to the floor. Not great if you have a back issue, which my husband does. Parking, we have a pick up with a cap on it and could only park on the first level where there wasn't a lot of spaces to choose from. Also I think parking should be free.

Location, staff

Terrible

Staff not that friendly. Gentlemen that checked us in was in a hurry to get us checked in. Didn't tell us about parking charges, didn't tell us to enjoy our stay. One of the ladies that checked us out was sick and kept running away from the counter to blow her nose. The room was dirty, hadn't been dusted by thr bed or tv in months,inside windows were grimly, the pictures were dirty and there was hair on the ceiling in the bathroom. Gross!

The bed was comfortable. God knows of it was clean though.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

We rented a movie for $16.

We rented a movie for $16.99and the picture quality was terrible. It's a flat screen but it's terrible. If they are going to charge those prices they need better tv's

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Nice Stay. Will return again as it is so convenient to everything.

The bathroom was so small, the sheets did not cover the end of the mattress and the top seemed to be nothing more than quilting covered in sheets that came apart; it was not actually a blanket or quilt, it looked like something just thrown together. The staff are very mechanical which I find at both Delta locations. They automatically ask the same questions every time and really don't care what your answer is.

It was peaceful, clean and in a very convenient location

Basically what we wanted for the $$$$$
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

lots of pillows however too big to sleep ! we (wife & me) forgot ours. The air or heat kept coming on every half hr making a noise

nice shower great coffee & coffee perk comfie bed

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Bed was very comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I absolutely did not like the continued, additional taxes and costly parking fee. I booked on Booking.com and had to pay an additional $50 for taxes and parking. Not happy at all about that.I booked a Double Room and did not get one.

Bed was very comfortable.First class indoor pool. Excellent access to computers. Excellent bar on the main level. Loved the location. NSLC and food court was a two minute walk.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Great Time Great Mini Vacation

the shower, it could have had more pressure it was not great.

how close it was to everything , and the huge bed was great and the staff was very nice and helpful, and Tims was right in the hotel so that was a huge bonus

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Great Hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Maybe more selection in the vending machines.

The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean, the restaurant was great and the staff were great. Nice and quiet!!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

It was a great hotel.

Their debit card policy when checking in was very unclear. I called to confirm the procedures and it was totally different when I got there.

It was a great hotel. Very clean. I loved that it was attached to a mini mall and could get to surrounding areas via walkways above the roads.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

I'd stay again.

Bathroom was small, movie rental prices were outrageous. $16.99 for a new release; not cool.

Secluded room. Hallway to a separate door was nice. "Foyer" type entrance. Clean.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Felt like a cheap local motel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Narrow hallways with dark lighting. Giant water stain on the ceiling. Wallpaper peeling at the seams. There was a massive crack in the middle of the vanity, and on the floor. I felt like I had walked into the cheap local motel. Water sprayed out both ends of the shower head. I fixed it myself. The shower head bobbed up and down with the pressure of the water, seeing as how it was not properly attached to the wall.

It was attached to the mall, so I could go to the convention centre without going outside. The beds were comfy.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

It was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Disappointed that for the price of the room there was not at least a continental breakfast included with price. The ironing board in the room needs to be replaced. Had to fight to get it closed and it was very dusty and dirty underneath. Might not have noticed if the board closed easily.

The convince of the location for the event we were attending. Appreciated the free upgraded room.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

good employees

parking issues

good employees

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Loved room on first floor as we had breakfast on patio!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loved room on first floor as we had breakfast on patio!!

Pleasant trip but not wonderful
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking was a little expensive.

The room was comfortable, the staff were nice and the location was handy for town.

Better signage in parkade as to how to get back to hotel -...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Better signage in parkade as to how to get back to hotel - parking garage was bereft of directions Include breakfast

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Ladies night out

No complaints

7th floor view, helpful front desk.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Toilet was iffy

Toilet was iffy

Last night of our trip was very pleasant and comfortable.
    • Guest Room with Harbour View

Comfortable room with view of Halifax Harbour.

Great view of the waterfront had a great time for our 10th...

Great view of the waterfront had a great time for our 10th anniversary