Reviews of Diplomat Inn 2 stars

6.2

5.5

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Perfect location!

The a/c was not working in one of the rooms.

The bed was great, my room was really clean and the location of the hotel is amazing, everything that you are interested in visiting is really near.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Facility fine for money. Check in process unpleasant all the way around after a long drive.

Check in took a long time. They didnt have the booking for 4 adults in 2 rooms... clearly. The booking ended up in our guests name as the primary... so they had to stand with me to check in... but I was clearly the one paying who had made the booking.

the hotel didn't even bother to contact us before they handed over our room to someone else.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

They could have called us to know that we are running late. We drove from Ottawa to Niagara, having booked a room here, only to know that they handed over the room to someone else because we weren't there at 9:00 PM. Our repeated attempts at contacting them during the drive was a failure.

OKay but only if you were to apy $70-80 a night. This motel is not worth $120 a night we paid.
    • Queen Room

Stinking smell like cat pee in hallways. a lot of stains in carpet in room, on chairs and in hallways. Pool was nor being kept clen and no desire to swim in cloudy or algae tainted pools.

Beds were very comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Having 2 rooms booked costing roughly $320 we were very disappointed. Our first impression walking to our rooms was a fail right from the start. The hallways leading to our rooms smelled like cat urine. It was absolutely disgusting. Upon getting into our room, they checked us in after 5 and gave us our keys but one of the rooms was still being cleaned for an additional 20mins. Once in our rooms there were no phones which meant no direct line to front desk, no using it to make a local call to order food but mostly NO WAY TO MAKE A 911 CALL if needed. Very unsettling. Then after a day out and returning back to our room we were greeted in the parking lot being told to park down a dark alley way by the workers house and walk back to our room....NO WAY. AT THE PRICE WE PAID EVERY ROOM SHOULD HAVE A VISIBLE PARKING SPACE IN THE PARKING LOT. Definitely will not be staying here again.

3.0
    Get what you pay for
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we checked in our rooms were not ready yet she gave us the keys anyways, then she was unable to put my credit card through as the boss was on the phone. The hallways smelled of chemicals, There was no one at the desk overnight, The entrance doors to the hotel were not locked anyone could have walked in at anytime no security.

the water pressure was good in the shower. Everything was within walking distance. The falls were a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The WEGO stopped right in front of the hotel. Lundy's Lane and Clifton Hill were walking distance.

Fair
    • Queen Room

Room 211 had a terrible smell even outside the door. But the staff was very accomodating. Stairway carpet needed a shampooing desparately

Friendly filipino staff.

Not the best, but great location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

room was not ready by check in time. Reception had to tell house keeper to hurry up. The bathtub was uncomfortable to shower in. Firemen came banging on my door in the middle of the night stating fire alarms were not working and had to check it.

Location was close to all main attractions

Housekeeper was a nice lady
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Found that the inn won't change pillow case to wish after customers move out. A bit disgusting. I need to sleep on the pillowcase which others had used. Poor wifi

Just the location with cheaper cost

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Nice staff, but role m had terrible mould smell and not very clean

Very very strong overpowering mound smell in room and very wet spot several feet in front of air conditioning like it happens all the time and that where mild smell coming from. Bad mood smell in hall but overpowering in room and I am not picky at all about budget hotels. No staff on overnight at office and door just left unlocked so no security and no cameras on the hallways move

People were very nice and staff was accommodating . Good price and convenient location

Never come back to this hotel and anever recommend to anybody.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff are rude rooms bathroom are very very dirty and stinky and lots of different insect inside like spiders and bed bugs.

None. The room is very dirty and nasty. And lots of bed bugs.

Free parking, close to the falls
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Worst place I've ever been to! Bad smell, No wifi at all, No ice, Door is open to anybody, there was a stranger lady on the 3rd floor at night!!!!!

Free parking, close to the falls

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel wasn't like we found it in 2012. We were really disappointed. I think that the hotel needs a profound renovation. Ww booked a double room but we had a single room!!! We traveled the hole day with kids and a baby to find the Air conditionner OFf!!! The staff said that they don't put it on until the client arrive!!! So we weited in the car until the temperature went down. Internet quality is very poor, No iron, hair dryer doesn't work. Hotels near by are better for approximately the same price...

The location Free parking

Ask Before You Buy!
    • Queen Room

No one warned me that if you are under 25 you can't check in by yourself. What type of law is that? The staff made an exception since I was by myself, but there should seriously be a warning asking the buyer their age before allowing them to book the hotel online. I'm not from Canada, as many others who were staying here, and I didn't even think to look up such a thing. My room was so ugly and had a terrible smell. Way too much money for terrible quality. I'm a 19 year old female by the way, so I understand why people thing it's strange for me to be traveling alone, but that doesn't give you the right to bombard me with questions. Creepy staff member asked, "why are you alone? You're so beautiful? You don't have a boyfriend? Why not?" Made me uncomfortable...

The only thing good about this hotel is the location. It was very close to where you wanted to be. Still overpriced in my opinion.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Staff are friendly location is ok. Hotel needs serious work

Room STINKS of mould. TV is on an antenna and gets about 5 channels some are too snowy to watch. Bathroom faucet is broken and won’t adjust the temperature.

Not much

Is near of Niagara Falls walking
    • Queen Room

The staff never cleaned my room. In the fridge was food for the guest before us. The staff never answered the phone. To noise.😢 Never came back

Is near of Niagara Falls walking

HORRIBLE
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

No coffee maker one down by lobby did not work,floors were filthy..did not get clean towels for 2 days..never again

Not much,Iam pretty laid back..but the place was dirty nothing worked...not vending or coffee machine. Staff was rude...Never will go back there..

location is the only thing I liked

my room didn t have a door knob, couldn t lock the door, had to use the key to lock it. Internet didn't work at all. Front desk clerk couldn't find my reservation due to internet being so slow.

location is the only thing I liked

Free parking.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very poor wifi. Tv wasn't working. Pool was closed due to high pH. Front desk wifi not working and check in took way longer than it should have.

Free parking. Close to the falls.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The location was good for us.

It had a stale smell and the rooms were dated. I thought for the price it would be nicer. It was tolerable.

The location was good for us. It was not to far of a walk with kids to the falls.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Good if not picky about stained carpets
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stained carpets in hallways and room, and some smell in hallway made an impression of lack of cleanliness.

Fridge, but didnt want to use it due to suspision of it being unclean. Air conditioning.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

This place is in urgent need of renovations, halfways need new carpets, wallpaper is old and dirty
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bad odours in the hallway, dirty carpets in the hallway. No ice machines. But they will give you a small bag of ice in the office,if you ask.

Large room, free parking.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Worst place to stay

It was dirty and the toilet didnt work properly kept making a horrible sound plus there so called free WIFI kept going out on us And i had to pay a 1.50 for coffee from a vending machine horrible

Staff was ok

Poor quality!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very poor internet. The hotel needs, definitely some renovations. Old rusty fridges in the rooms should be removed. TV programs of very poor quality. The owner should invest in his property in order to enhance it.

The employees!

I enjoyed my stay. I was by myself for relaxation and felt safe walking around the area at all hours
    • Queen Room

A coffee machine would have been nice. Not many channels on the TV but then who spends much time in the room when you are in Niagara Falls.

Room was clean and big. walking distance to many restaurants. Walking distance to the falls. Staff nice and friendly.

Not coming back again .
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Thought we can use the pool but they’re fixing it i asked front desk if its open she said yes but then when we are entering the pool the staff talked to us and say they’re fixing it ..

Its very clean and the beds are so comfy

lower budget motel would stay again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

moldy musty smell carpets wet from shampooing and overwetting not letting carpets dry thouroughly still wet next morning and musty throughout stay not horrible but basement like smell

room clean, beds comfortable, well lit ,felt safe ,quiet, if in reasonable shape walking distance to most tourist things

The staffs are always smiling and available to help when...
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

Outdated furnitures. I’m not comfortable with the carpet and though they seemed clean the beddings aren’t soft, no fitted sheet. I think if you stay in this inn you should your own beddings and inside shoes.

The staffs are always smiling and available to help when needed. We like the jacuzzi the most.

Goodlocation... thats all.
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

Pool was closed due to required rep airs. No hot water in shower on second day :-( Problems checking in.....

Good location to entertainment. Jacuzzi tub was great

I would stay again despite things advertised but unavailable. Very affordable and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No pool, no coffee, no wifi and hairdryer didn't work. A casino shuttle was advertised but didn't exist. Carpet plush but needs replacing.

The price was excellent. Beds were comfy. Great location. Ice was available. Furniture was nice. Cleaning staff was friendly.

Clean, location, good bed.
    • Queen Room

No internet, They have WIFI that does not work even when I ask the recipient she confirmed its not working and even if it worked it would be extremely slow, hair dryer not working, vending machine also broke.

Clean, location, good bed. Good if you spend all day out and want to sleep only.

WiFi was not functioning.
    • Queen Room

WiFi was not functioning. Pool closed. Room cannot refresh air. Pillows had no cover. Hair dryer not functioning. One nice Indian guy was all the personnel. Also too expensive for such a room.

Don’t get me started, the first room I was booked in had wet...
    • Queen Room

Don’t get me started, the first room I was booked in had wet carpets and the room smelt like bo and dirty feet. The second room had a very funky smell

We enjoyed our stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing that was a problem is that the water temp in the shower was too hot.l actually burned my right foot from the scalding water.Everything elses was fine

Good location, low quality inn.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

This hotel is dated. It was in need of a renovation ten years ago. The drapes did not close all the way, & we were on the first floor. Painted countertop with stains showing through. Mild smell in room. Floors felt damp, even the carpet. Cleaning staff did their best. They left a dirty, used envelope in the room asking for a tip as soon as we arrived. A couple of things bugged me. The ice machine was on the second floor halfway around the hotel. I wanted ice after returning from a long walk and found the ice machine out of order. In fact, the power wire had been cut and was sticking out of the wall. I don't think the ice machine worked in months. It would have been nice to know that before wasting my time and energy looking for it in an unmarked room. The staff did give me a small bag of ice for "drinks" not for keeping things cold in a cooler. I had to throw out a lot of food. The pool was closed. Not mentioned during the booking. This was the beginning of June. The advertised rate was lower onsite than what I found online. I think this is a scam that hotels are using to charge people more who book online. Next time I am going to take a chance and just find a room when I get there instead of booking in advance. I paid over $200, for two nights, for a room that was really worth less than $100.

The room is large, the beds were comfortable. The staff were friendly-ish. The location was the best part! We walked to everything: The Falls, Scotiabank Convention Centre, Greg Frewin magic show. Get the pass for the incline railway. It is a short cut to the Falls.

Very comfortable stay and good for money.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

WiFi wasn't working properly in the room.

Stay was quite comfortable and location was very close to the falls. We could take red line bus just outside to the hotel and it was perfect.

You get what you pay for. Great for our night out in Niagara Falls!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

This is an old building with very few upgrades in terms of décor. The decor was like going back in time to the 60's and 70's.

It was right by the casino and restaurants. Easy access by foot or car to get to where we needed to. It had lots of parking. The staff was very accommodating and if something was not right, they went out of their way to help solve the matter. Truly very nice staff. The bed comfort was amazing!!!

Not good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Carpet was dirty. No pillow cases, just shams that were reused. Crummy TV reception. hair dryer didn't work. No one answered at the front desk. Door off hinges. No water in pool. won't go back

not much

A great choice for students or anyone who wants to visit...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

As expected room was not really clean when we came. Lots of dusts behind the bed and drawers. Looked like one of the bed sheet wasn’t changed as well.

A great choice for students or anyone who wants to visit Niagara Falls and to save money as well. A receptionist woman was really nice to us. Location is great! 10 min walking from the Niagara Falls.

It was good. Hotel met my expectations

Location and room space

Location is good. 15 minutes to falls view or the main street. Room is comfort for a family of 4-5. Parking is free. Close to Al Mac's Buffet.

We are on the way and end moment I received call that our...
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

This is not our mistake but they spoil my birthday

We are on the way and end moment I received call that our system is not k that room we are not able to give that price we are canceled your room we are very disappointed

a cheap hotel in every sense
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

my keys consistently had a problem with opening my room door, the only ice machine was broken, the hallway was unlit when we arrived, front desk clerk was clearly having a bad day and needed one of my friends to fix their printer to allow ourselves and others to sign in, room was ice cold when I arrived

room seemed clean, they found my booking easily and honoured it

The person on that day was friendly and good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffee stuff in the room. The pantry was away from the room and was not isolated so outside winds were coming. Room Heating was not that good. Location was 2kms away from the falls

The person on that day was friendly and good.strong wifi connectivity.

It was fun, staff as super friendly
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

The tv channel we’re very limited. And most of them didn’t work. The wifi didn’t work most of the time. We got the queen spa room and the bed wasn’t a queen felt more like a double

The jacuzzi was amazing! Staff was super friendly. Place was clean

there was no heat in the room I told the man behind the desk...
    • Queen Room

there was no heat in the room I told the man behind the desk he gave me a small heater it di not keep the room warm will not stay in the motel in the winter time

Only strayed because of price- no amenities are offered and when asked no one is sure is possible.

The rooms are somewhat run down; when asking fr anything extra at booking time it is not always certain that it will be available or in the room and then as per example a refrigerator the temperature control does not work and the fridge is dirty and very old. The water in the bathroom is reversed- cold is hot, hot is cold and the heating/AC does not maintain a temperature. The television is not cable connected and there are possibly only 2 channels that can be viewed without snow on the screen. The connection keeps dropping and often " no signal" is displayed.

Only the price

my stay was moderatly comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room wasn't properly clean i.e the carpet wasn't clean to a standard it was a bit smelly, they used dark color sheet for the bed spread i was expecting white sheet as dark color sheet hide dirt. i would recommend great interest must apply to presentation with regards to every aspect of interior.

however i very much like the location and the off street parking

Never again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No ice in the ice machine, not clean enough, rude staff. And they knocked on our door after 11 pm becuase they forgot to photo copy our reciept....we were sleeping

Horrible, disgusting, smelly, run down etc.

Everything.

WE have been going here for years when Joanne and her husband owned it. However now it is completely run down, smelly, no ice machine, no coffee etc. WE were told that it is being totally renovated top to bottom we shall see about that. Also seems to have some transiat people at that place. Not impressed.

It's ok, if your looking for something cheap and nothing special.
    • Queen Room

Doesn't have usb chargers or anything fancy. No good TV stations. Outdated. Strong odor in the hallways and stuffy air in the rooms. Bring a scented candle.

It's ok, if your looking for something cheap and nothing special. Really just a room and bed. Big room but outdated. Beds are ok, but not as comfortable like other high end hotels.

Good place to sleep!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Upon arrival had to ring for a looooong time until someone came out from behind the reception. The hair dryer did not work but I got a new one rapidly after asking. The air conditioning seemed from another age, so I did not turn it on for too long. All in all, the place looked quite run down.

Good location, the local bus passes by the hotel, great beds, lots of space (big rooms!)

Other than getting very little ice on a very warm day, my trip was awesome.

The ice machine was not working and it has not been working all summer. They did provide you with ice, however, it was only for pop which makes no sense. The facility has no fridge or restaurant, people with kids need a cooler to keep things cool. Every hotel should have a working ice machine.

We stayed in the 3rd floor room which was very quiet and comfortable as compare to my previous stay at that hotel.

not coming back
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

washroom not flush cause water is very slow.. so when i'm check out around 7:00 am nobody there in lobby.. then i contact there phone like 20x nobody answer then so i put my key in the mail box cause i can't wait for long cause my train should be first trip in the morning..

thats my firsttime to book diplomat inn but washroom not flush good water is very slow..

Comfortable beds, good location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air condition good but noisy. Room and hotel in general in need of an upgrade in Most departments.

Comfortable beds, reasonable standard of facilities.

I was really grateful to leave and go to a clean and pleasant hotel after one night at the Diplomat.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It smelled of smoke in the room. The whole property was filthy and unpleasant. There was no tea or coffee. Only one pillow. No ventilation in the room and nobody available to help when the fire alarm went off for an extended period of time. The room was VERY run down and unclean. It was very poor value for money at $140 for one night in a filthy run down hotel that I wold make sure to never visit again. Oh and the pool had no water in it. I called ahead and asked if the pool was open and was specifically not told it was drained.

The location was walking distance to the attractions

The price we paid was double what was being advertised on...
    • Queen Room

The price we paid was double what was being advertised on the front sign upon arrival. We paid 102.00 plus tax for one night through booking.com but the advertised price on the sign was $49 per night.

it was ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

the staff could've cleaned our beds earlier, it was really late at 4:30 and we were already back at our hotel rooms and plus they didn't have any towels for restock

convenient to downtown core, the AC was really cold which was awesome on a hot day

would not go back or ever recommend to family or friends
    • Queen Room

The carpets were dirty and need replacing the bathroom fan was non existing WiFi poor the silicone around bath was black instead of white. The whole place needs a revamp.

Shower water Was strong
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Roomand hall way smells Sink was cracmed I paid to much money for rate No coffee machines in rm No jCkozi in rm Alot more bad

Close to attractions

Disappointed
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to change the first room offered to us because it had a strong smell of animal urine, the second room had a strong smell of cigarettes but we had to take it. There was a loud tapping noise in our room for about 2 hours that started at 4am and we had no Wifi. There were crumbs in one of the beds and the towels were very old and dirty looking. The rooms were a good size but overall it was an uncomfortable place to stay.

Will not stay there again.....too much competition in the area
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool was freezing we tried to use it but could not even get in it was definitely not heated even though it says it had a heated pool For the price we paid we felt it should have offered breakfast plus the advertised price on their outside board was way less than we paid. Our biggest concern was that the outside door to go to our second floor room was neverocjed or needed a key to get in so anyone could have entered the hotel at any time We fully expected to see someone sleeping in the inside hallway That was a bit scary The lady at the front desk who checked us in ignored us for a good 5 minutes because she was on the phone arguing with someone over a booking . Com reservation, they wanted to cancel and was was arguing that they couldn't, she ended up putting the phone down on them and making a comment to us about booking.com, then she was a but sheepish when she realized we had booked through .com as well! Not very

That we could park at the property free of charge and that it was walking distance to the falls

Niagara Falls was beautiful, the hotel was horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

The staff were rude, everytime i asked a question, i was told to look at the map. There was a horrible smell in the hotel. Ice machine was broken. No refrigerator in the room. Housekeeping did not come until 4:30 in the afternoon.

Not much at all.

Very bad
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were very bad. I actually hurt my back while sleeping on them. There was no ice to be found . No was would answer the front desk phone. No one give us the wi- fi password. We check in at 5pm, and our room was still being made .

Close to the falls

Overall, the room was not worth its price and made to look better than it was.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no wifi, no coffee maker, and no microwave. The room smelled like smoke and the service was very poor - we asked for extra pillows and shampoo and they were very stingy with it.

The phone and the hair dryer didn't work.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The phone and the hair dryer didn't work. Beds were not so clean. It wasn't like the photos. The pool looks wonderful in the pictures, but it wasn't that nice.

Cheap low quality rooms
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Smelly, the WiFi hardly worked, floor carpet was in disgust, the ice machine didn't work there's no microwave in the rooms, and the pool needs to be redone

Clean sheets

Terrable get away, The sighn out frount was right. it was a $49 room. Paid way too much
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

First of all how about some comfortable beds. Then maybe at least a coffee maker in the rooms. Then maybe some towels that are at least big enough to cover and dry you off with. Then maybe have the air on in the stair wells so you don't walk through a sauna to get to your room.

The beds were terrible. They took an old water bed from and put it around a terrible mattress. The frame made noises every time you moved. The mattress was the worst I ever tried to sleep on. I would never go back to this hotel. The price was rediculas. Especially since they advertise out frount that the rooms are $49 and up. For what I paid , id hate to see what you get for $49.

Only good thing about this hotel is the location. I will always stick to brand names from now on

Everything. Very expensive and unclean. Everything in room was broken. Tv, lights, plug outlets, toilet and shower were clogged. Terrible!! Worst hotel ive ever stayed at!!

Crummy place and we'll never stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was dark. The television received 6 or 7 channels and not all were clear. The rug was damp the entire time that we were there. We were there for 3 nights and only had housekeeping come one time and that was after our 2nd night. Everything seemed old and rundown.

Quiet

Hotel in a very bad shape

Was very poor sanitary condition, stairs were in worst condition. That was the worst hotel I have ever been. I wanted to move to another hotel but couldn't get refund and had to stay. I would not recommend anyone to go to that hotel.

Poor service , poor management, poor cleaning, poor entertainmen
    • Queen Room with Spa Bath

As said not a single thing impressed me

Nothing is really impressive about the hotel and the service provided. In fact they didn't offer the same room that I booked initially till I called and complained

Diplomat Dive !!!!!!
    • Queen Room

No ice machine that worked , no fridge to keep things cool, No coffee pot in the rooms . vending machine didn't work in lobby , we got locked in our room due to a broken dead bolt we had to wait an extra 2 hours the morning of check out for management to break the lock to get us out, it could have been a death trap if there was a fire we could not get out from the inside of our room. very expensive for the type of service state of rooms very out dated and the room it self was not clean but bearable, never going back there.

The Jacuzzi Tub was the only good thing !!

Fire in room above and we were evacuated with nowhere to go for 4 hours

The Wi-Fi didn't work..you could connect but there was no internet which staff said is a typical problem. The system is so old it can't handle the traffic.

The room was fairly clean

You get what you pay for

We witnessed them give rooms away to walk in's and didnt have rooms for reserved customers. We showed up at 1 ( check in was at 11) and none of the rooms had been cleaned yet. They said staff was very slow. They didnt really seem to care. Wi fi wasnt great!

We liked that everything was in walking distance

Last minute decision to travel to Falls.--picked wrong place to stay.
    • Queen Room

No elevator. Front receptionist loud and unprofessional. No Wifi available. No breakfast. TV kept going off and on. No Kleenex in room. Greatly overpriced for facilities. Price was double for a holiday weekend. Hotel well worn, paint job terrible. Towels thin and small--not your regular shower bath towels. Only stay there if you absolutely have to. Could not cancel after booking.

Bed was comfortable. Location good.