Reviews of Hotel Dorion 2 stars

6.1

5.6

6.2

6.1

Happy to discover Montreal, wish I choose another hotel.

It was smelly and dirty. What to say more? Apparently, there are two types of rooms, 'never', which are supposed to be nice, and 'older', we had one of those older. We tried to spend as little as possible of our time in the hotel.

The hotel is very close to a metro station and all points of interest in the Gay Village. Staff tries to do the best.

The staff were nice.

The place was filthy. The stairs were steep and narrow. No fridge or microwave. There were a lot of beggars and people on drugs in the area. As I was in a smoking room it would have been nice to be able to open a window.

The staff were nice. Especially the guy when I arrived. He went above and beyond his duties to help me out with the lose of my phone. The metro across the street made it easy to get around. A supermarket on the corner of the street was handy.

Very poor. The worst hotel ever! The room was tiny and the smell of smoke in the room was so heavy. The carpet was horrible, ripped and smelling like old ashtray. Broken bathroom door molding. The hole hotel stank of smoke. The staff was unfriendly. The pictures of the rooms in the website are completely are different. I couldn’t wait to get out of there. I would never stay there again.

Okay as a last resort but not a first pick.

There were cigarette butt burns on the sheets and my friend found a bug in the bed. We asked them to change the sheets and then mine had a makeup stain on them. I left with huge welts from a bug that bit me. Good value for money but at what cost?

Right across the street from the Papineau Metro station and steps away from a grocery store.

Cosy and clean economy place to stay in Montreal :)

The fact that you should ring each time to enter the hotel. But it is not a big deal :)

Friendly receptionist, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, great location, value for money!

Poor experience

About everything (but the staff). Not clean, very poor breakfeast, we suspect they rent room for a few hours ... absolutely not the place you want to go as tourists.

The staff

Would not stay here again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had requested a non-smoking room which stank of smoke, the whole hotel stank of smoke. The TV was fuzzy and there were cracks in the window. The toilet broke at one point and when asked to fix it the front desk said to do it ourselves. If I’m paying $100 a night I want the staff to do their job, they were rude about the whole situation. The location is also sketchy.

The room was considerably large which was nice and the linens were clean.

The hotel is really worn down.
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel is really worn down. The curtains was stapled shut and the painting was coming off the walls some places in the bathroom. The towel hanger on the bathroom was torn off the wall at one side, and hanging at an odd angle.

I was absolutely uncomfortable and would never stay there again especially for the amount I paid !
    • Standard Queen Room

The place was dirty. The room was tiny and the area was sketchy. There was only street parking, which was a headache to find and there was always people hanging around near the hotel drunk and high.

The only good thing about this place was the friendly front desk lady

Comfortable, good location and cheap
    • Standard Queen Room

Too many questions at the reception, plus the buzzer was making my guests uneasy and stressed. Entrance needs good clean as it does smell of cigarette smoke - thought smoking in public places in Canada is now not permitted.

I've stayed in this hotel for whole weekend and I must say I was slightly concerned after reading some of the reviews, however I was lucky to be staying in one of the refurbished rooms, which was great, super comfy and bathroom was very clean and modern - I even had nice and relaxed bath. The only downside of the room was the heat - it was very hot and I have only realised on my last morning, that heater was on - not sure why, as outside temperature was also warm. Upon arrival, I have been asked way too many questions and found it weird, especially being asked for copy of the passport, which seems such an old way of checking in. I agree with others about one thing - access to the property is not easy and was quite stressful for my guests, who had to press the buzzer to get into the hotel and then have been stopped at the reception and were questioned by the stuff, including their name. Weird. Apart for that I've had a good stay! But word of advice - request no smoking room! PS: THERE IS WIFI IN THE ROOMS!

The location of this hotel is awesome!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking was sometimes and issue as it's street parking and can be hard to find in a big city.

The location of this hotel is awesome! It's in the heart of the gay village and has the metro and a grocery store nearby. There are clubs and bars nearby as well for those interested. The room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable!

Good value for money and I definitely would stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The A/C didn't work, but we didn't need it. It looked like the filter needed cleaning. You have to go up a flight of stairs to check in. Our room (#29) was on the ground level - a bit awkward with a partner who is slightly disabled. But there was an 'Exit' door on that floor and the staff let me let him in that way so he wouldn't have to go up and then back down again. Not at all accessible for anyone in a wheelchair.

Location, location, location! Papineau subway station right across the street. Well-located. (Mostly) friendly staff. At the SW end of the gay village, and with Ste. Catherine St. being 'pedestrianized, it turned out to be perfectly located. Clean, private bathroom. A separate 'Exit' door in the suite led to a 'patio' which is not accessible to the street. Too weedy to actually use, but good to know in case of emergencies.

If you can take the smell....

The smell was terrible. There are signs for no smoking around but the 50 year old carpet was smelling like an old ashtray. You need to buzz in for every back and forth. The TV system isnt the most efficient.

Close to the village with lots of great bars and restaurants, just across a metro station

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

the location
    • Suite with Spa Bath

Where to begin? Smell of smoke in the room was so heavy that my clothes smelled like smoke when I returned home. Ripped and stained carpet, lumpy uncomfortable bed, leaky sink, broken bathroom door and molding, filthy dirty furniture, unknown strand of hair in the bathroom. Adjacent rooms being rented out on an hourly basis. Truly an unpleasant experience. The worst hotel stay I have ever had.

the location

Great value, great convenience. Great location.

My room was on the second floor and when I arrived with grocery items, etc I would have appreciated being on the main floor. I will request that next time.

Very comfortable room. Clean,, great air conditioner, loved the frig in the room. Breakfast was simple but ample. Large bathroom, comfortable bed. Very close access to the Metro and to a Metro Supermarket, restaurants and pharmacy. Majority of staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Suite with Spa Bath

Impossibly bad. I've never experience a room that poorly kept. A genuinely scary stay. Dirty from top to bottom. Outrageous. Washroom, carpet, bed, lighting, tv, amenities (none), check-in area, front door, hotel room doors, locking mechanksm, location, etc.

Very close to metro station, and handy for the shops and...
    • Suite with Spa Bath

Curtains allow in too much light, for example in the early hours during the summer months. No lift. While not a problem for me, disabled visitors should be advised before booking, as some rooms are two flights up from the reception which is itself two flights up from the ground floor entrance.

Very close to metro station, and handy for the shops and restaurants of St Catherine street. A comfortable bed. And well maintained ensuite bath and shower.

one for the bohemian, not newly weds !
    • Standard Queen Room

smell of stale cigarettes throughout hotel even though rooms non smoking. breakfast is quite basic but the supermarket can up the food supply.

clean room, clean bathroom, working fridge freezer, excellent air con, big tv + cable, excellent double glazing. metro on doorstep, as is large supermarket. only 15 mins amble to city centre. security is buzzed entry 24 hours. free fresh coffee 24 hours. use of communal microwave and large communal fridge.

First Impression of this Hotel: OMG, What did I Book ?!

I stayed here for a total of 4 nights during the 2017 Grand Prix weekend in June. It costs CAD $ 142 per night(inclusive of tax) during this period. The other hotels in Montreal were doing more than tripple their usual rate during this sacred period. Our first impression when we got to the hotel was, "OMG, what did we book ?!". The carpet on the 2 flight of steps was badly peeling and smelt bad. There is no lift(so bear that in mind). The staff were friendly and helpful(except for Billy - who told me to leave the hotel). On check in, a helpful elderly gentleman helped me carry our heavy suitcases the two flight of steps to the first floor which he did our check in. Another helpful gentlemen recommended places we MUST go and see which we did upon his recommendation. The lady boss was friendly, helpful and always smiling. She helped me sort my room stay as I had done two separate bookings for my 4 nights stay. She also waived the $100 deposit that we had to place for TV remote control which they pass to you upon check in. On my check out day, I asked her if I could leave my bags with the hotel and collect it at midnight and she said, "sure, no problem, you can do that". Which I did, but I think the staff didnt know that they could do that, or he was new, or it was just an exception for me(if so, I appreciate it). I asked her for late check out and she said I could take an hour or so longer, which I appreciated. The room - no doubt it was "old" - but it was very clean and tidy which is most important - though the room was not big. Very comfortable queen size bed. Comes with a bar-fridge which was good as there is a Metro Plus supermarket nearby. The bathroom/bathtub was very clean with clean linen. Bathroom door has warped - so it cannot be closed completely. For both rooms - 32 and 33. Aircon is my room 33 went off 4 times after the 2nd night stay which has to be reset from the basement by the staff.

Papineau Metro station is just outside the hotel. MacDonald's and bars and restaurants 2 minutes walk away.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Surprisingly nice and clean!
    • Standard Queen Room

The breakfast choice was a tiny bit poor but nevertheless, it was included in the price and a good start of the day.

To our big surprise the hotel was very clean and the staff was more than accommodating with all of our requests. The room was refreshed every day and there was some small self-service breakfast available.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

It was okay.
    • Suite with Spa Bath

The bed could have been more comfy and not so much squeaky. The spa bath could have been cleaner as well and the staff might want to add some bubbles with the room or something.

It was an overall okay room for one night.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Total Dive-Avoid!

Very rundown, dirty, paint peeling. I was so creeped out by the lack of cleanliness and condition of property, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, but I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. The hostel I stayed in for 1 night was MUCH better. After the Dorian, I over-compensated and stayed at Le Saint Sulpice in Old Montreal to make myself feel better.

Front staff person was nice. Liked paint colour in room. Sunny balcony, stores, transit and taxi steps away.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

The worst hotel we ever experienced, unfortunately.

There are many things: First, when we arrived at 11 PM on Sep. 30,2016, exausted and were told that they could not find our reservation. It took more than one hour for registration without explanation, for the time being, we were kept waiting and the clerk was taking care of guests came after us. Finally we got registereed and provided a room but the hotel didn't even apologize. Secondly, we made a reservation for a nonsmoing room and turned out to be a smoking room and very filthy and smelly room, indeed. There were three bulbs for the lighting in the room but only one was functioning. Third,the breakfast was truly disgusting. The bread provided was aparantly dumped from a cheap supermarket and the coffee was diluted,without taste. It didn't worth indeed the price for this hotel at all. Fourth, on the day of checing out, we left our expensive soaps and shampoos in the bath room, we called the hotel, hoping they would be able to look for it for us. Unfortunately, they were speaking in French, gave us a hard time and told us to call back later because they couldn't call us in a rude fashion. We truly had a very bad experience with this hotel, we have been traveling a lot all over the world, but, indeed, never had this kind of nightmare. The rating should be much lower than 2.5, unfortunately this is the lowest rating.

Nothing at all.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Dirty, unfriendly...
    • Standard Queen Room

Dirty facilities. One very unfriendly staff member, the rest were okay. The room they initially tried to give us was absolutely awful - embedded smoke smell and filthy room. After complaining, we were given a slight upgrade to a slightly better room. Overall, couldn't wait to get out of there!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

I'll return.

I could not figure out the air conditioning. It was cool when I arrived, then just stopped working. The curtain rod fell down. C'est la vie. Not much in the way of petit dejeuner. Maybe I was late. No problem

Very comfortable room, clean, no frills...but I like that. The fellow at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. But I consider myself a low-maintenance traveler. Good parking spot, thanks. Mademoiselle in morning very pleasant and cute😉.Metro grocery and The Stud Bar steps away. Pont Jacques Cartier is a nice walk.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Next to the metro(subway) station and grocery store,...
    • Suite with Spa Bath

Next to the metro(subway) station and grocery store, downtown is a bit further but still in the walk distance. Quiet place, room with jacuzzi is awesome.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Hotel Dorion

The air in the hotel and in the room smelled old & stale.

We loved the location of the downtown Montreal and the six flags la ronde convenience near the train station & hotel. The metro store was right up the street and the train station was right across the street. The airport bus was in walking distance as well.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Old sleazy overpriced hotel with great location, next door to a subway stop.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Expensive. I stayed in Hotel Classique in Quebec city for the same price. Difference is night and day. Sleazy hotel. Old.No elevators. Wierd zig zag hallway. They even have rooms by the hour. Would not recommend to stay with family here.

Included breakfast. Clean washroom. Comfy beds.

Cosy and clean economy place to stay in Montreal :)

Great receptionist. good location. value of money.

Parking available in front of hotel

Room stank of tobacco

Parking available in front of hotel

It was only for one and short night and the location was very good so I enjoyed it.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The strong cigarette smoke odour in the hallway and the room.

Just the position.

Just the position. Terrible breakfast and hotel.

Hardly note towels dirty carpet, soap very not generous loud fan in bathroom

Rooms, comforter, drapes holding from an old pole, Hardly note towels dirty carpet, soap very not generous loud fan in bathroom

Lovaion

good holiday

unavailsble toward cudtomer needs
    • Suite with Spa Bath

its a good last minute option

Its an average spot to go, clean enough
    • Suite with Spa Bath

they need to do some renovations in the bathroom

Polite staff, nice location, jacuzzi was great

Stairs - I'm handicapped

Stairs - I'm handicapped

Important :cleaning

Donț have comentary

Important :cleaning

Perfect staff

No Windows and expensive. Weird not to drug people starting here

Perfect staff

Really nice staff, room was ok for a night
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Toilet broken, sketchy at night

Near the subway, very nice staff

You get what you pay for

Needs a good refurbishment, staff could be friendlier...

Great location, so for one night it was ok. Definitely clean and bed comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Good location, reasonable price.
    • Suite with Spa Bath

The room's rag had a dirty feeling to it.

Good location, reasonable price.

Would like to come back the hotel.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very close to a metro station; I were very comfortable with the matrix bed; the manager/staff were very friendly.

The stuff was friendly and helpfull
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place is full of smoke and hookers

The stuff was friendly and helpfull

My stay

Old unrenovated building

Friendly desk people

It was Ok

I had the basement and wifi didn't work for all my 2days stay

To stay in your place is good the one thing I don't like is too hot the air conditioning is not giving much cooling.

Everything is ok

Property is good .

nice experience

everything is perfect

Montreal on a budget.
    • Suite with Spa Bath

That we had to buzz to get in.

Was a great location.

Best location and value for Canada day!

The room has a strong cigarettes smell.

Location and staff, the best!

I caught the concierge watching porn twice

I caught the concierge watching porn twice

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Free wi-fi yes but was slow when on and kept cutting me off very poor

Location and cheap and cheerful for the price

NOTHING

no wifi in the room

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Won't stay there again.

Too expensive, Very dirty!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No wifi in rooms. And it wasn't as clean as I would've liked.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

We were happy to stay at this hotel
    • Suite with Spa Bath

The breakfast area was not the really amazing and not too fresh

Close to the transportation subway and bus . Worker was friendly too

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

If you're easy to please, perfect place to crash and shower and head back out.
    • Standard Queen Room

There were junkies on the steps of the exit sometimes and the bathroom door would not shut.

Close to nearby attractions, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

The location was great.

Not that I had a bad experience but it's not very up to date. I think they could use some new decor or a revamping of the whole place. Staff was friendly.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

I like the staff the man who help us and he is very...

I like the staff the man who help us and he is very accommodating staff,sorry I didn't take note his name but I and my friends like him coz he treat us so well and never hesitate to extend his arms to support us especially when my fiancé cannot find a parking space...Thank you so much the man whose working hours is at night the slim but tall man.Thank you so much.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Everything. The hotel is old and not clean. I saw people smoking in the corridors !! Local people told me that I should have never gone there because it's one of the worst hotel in Montreal.

Nothing. I should have stayed 3 nights. I left after one night. The only good think is the location.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2015

Looks very poor and old from outside, but the rooms are...

Wifi doesn't always work; breakfast is almost nothing, just the coffee is all right.

Looks very poor and old from outside, but the rooms are alright.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

The staff are very nice.

It will be perfect if there is an elevator

The staff are very nice. Location is good which is near the metro. And have a supermarket nearby. The restaurant nearby are well.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

on the edge of montreals gay village, so location is ideal...

on the edge of montreals gay village, so location is ideal if thats what you want. i like the 24 hour security desk. economical for budget minded traveller.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

Excellent location.

Excellent location. Quiet. Frig in the room. Quiet efficient air conditioner, Very helpful staff on the desk 24 hours. Directly across the street from a Metro stop. Large Metro supermarket next door. Convenient restaurant very close. Tim Hortons's and A&W around the corner.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

The location is excellent.

Very stange electric operation of the Jacuzzi. Lots of maintennce issues.

The location is excellent. Next to the METRO, grocery store and taxicabs. Close to restaurants and niteclubs.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2015

The price is great it is a bit off from downtown but...

Where do I begin. From a standard room I moved to a bigger one with a jacuzzi. The faucet tap doesn't turn off, I asked the staff on duty to fix it but later in the evening I came back with the same, The staff assigned in the afternoon and evening is the most unfriendly and unhelpful. He is a big liability to the popularity of this hotel. I heard from a local there that this hotel is infested with bedbugs. So am bringing my stuff to the laundry as soon as I get home. Avoid this hotel. Not even try. You will thank me for this heads up.

The price is great it is a bit off from downtown but relatively accessible considering it is beside literally papineau station.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

Nothing at all!

First of all, you have a smell of cigaret in the hole hotel! EVERYWHERE!! If your a non smoker, you'll notice it very fast. Second of all, beds are discussing. They have powder under the bed for bed bugs. HOW CAN U EVEN LET IT BE LIKE THAT!?!?! AT LEAST CHANGE THE BEDS.... Third of all, you have some nice and strong music at night (Club or something) . If you like sleeping with some huge BASS, it's the right place for you. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

Nothing at all!

• Reviewed: 25 November 2015

Location, staff and price

Cleanliness could be a bit better, there was a bug in our bed

Location, staff and price

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

Location is perfect.

Needs to be updated for the price. Could have stayed at higher hotels for the same price

Location is perfect.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

I like the location of the hotel.

I couldn't get Wi-Fi access in my room.

I like the location of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2015

Friendly owners and staff.

Friendly owners and staff. Breakfast was healthy. Great value for price. Location was perfect for us. We would go back.

There are also 39 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.