2. Canada hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Econo Lodge Motel Village

Reviews of Econo Lodge Motel Village 2 stars

2440 16th Avenue Northwest, T2M 0M5 Calgary, Canada

#92 of 103 hotels in Calgary

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 11 May 2019

For a place to sleep, which was all we needed, I’d stay again. Thanks
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not hotels fault but construction was right outside our first floor window. Breakfast didn’t have much but it helped.

Staff were friendly and informative. Room was suitable for our need.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2019

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It took 1 hour for them to check us in. Dirty. Staff were horrible and unprofessional. Free breakfast was basic but acceptable. Construction beside the hotel starts right at 7am. Toilet didn’t work properly.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2019

Nightmare
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Terrible on all aspects spend the extra money and go to a decent motel - the room was dirty, towels had long black hair on them (I am blonde) the night staff Ashley completely rude and needs to rethink her career choice, something out of customer service

• Reviewed: 2 April 2019

Overall great value and place to stay....would for sure stay again...but get room on top floor
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Quite noisey from outside as people walked up and down past our room....we had room on bottom floor along street

Friendly greeting upon arrival.....Most comfortable beds......easy location

• Reviewed: 11 March 2019

The staff was great.

Our Friday night was loud, police were called, we didn’t get quiet until well after midnight as there was a disturbance with a guest. We were in a pet room and there was clumps of dog hair under the heater. The comforter had dog hair in it. We have a small non-shedding dog and the room wasn’t properly cleaned.

The staff was great. Especially the woman at the front desk during the day.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2019

I paid cash and they held a deposit and the room charge even...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I paid cash and they held a deposit and the room charge even tho I had already paid cash to stay. It was almost like a double charge so i took the cash back. Ridicules deposit amounts for a motel like this.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2019

Great location near UofC, SAIT and McMahon Stadium.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

They have coffee in the lobby or breakfast area, but no coffee maker in the rooms. That is inconvenient when you have to get dressed to go get coffee in the morning. Worse if you are on the 2nd floor.

Great location near UofC, SAIT and McMahon Stadium. And great value.

Stayed in February 2019

• Reviewed: 23 February 2019

It was an adventure.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The smell in our room smelled of stale cigarettes. And we could smell someone smoking pot. The WiFi did not work for my i pad. Thank you, for the good service when i left to go to the hospital yesterday.

Cute little room for the breakfast. The pancakes were fun to make and eat.

Stayed in February 2019

• Reviewed: 3 January 2019

The stay was comfortable, relaxing and will recomend to stay here
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I like it is close to the restaurants ,mall ,down town, and train station comfortably relaxin

The bed was extra comfortable, and the building is very quiet.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 1 January 2019

3.0
    It was not what I thought it was or was showed online, everything was wrong

The floor was vary dirty, after just a short time with my socks off the bottom of my feet where black. We spilt a little soda on the floor and cleaned it up with a small rag, we where told it would never come clean so we were charged 10.00 dollars for two rags and then they were not going to give them to us she said she was going to throw them away, my husband had to argue about us keeping them, that we paid for them and so they where ours. We where subjected to a couple of insidents one when we were checking in there were police in lobby with a vary disgruntled man saying that he could not leave because men where after him to kill him, the the next day we were approached by a guest there who was wanting to bye cocaine. And if that was not enough we had too suffer through the people with a child stomping on the floor every day and night for 4 long days, we had no coffee maker in the room. I booked for a different room, a king on second floor, but even though I booked for a pet our cat, we got moved to another room and was charged 300.00 for a deposit. Over all it was not a good stay there and will never darken there doors again, we also have friends that will be asking us about our stay there. The bedding was pretty thin so we ended up buying blankets so we could stay warm at night.

The location was good, it was reasonably close to family and friends

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

Very close to McMahon stadium, which is what we wanted it...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Paint peeling off roof in bathroom. Cleaning practices not very sanitary. Watched staff member in gym clean toilet bowl and then use same rag to clean over sink, and then put her hand in water judge to pick it up and go fill it. Breakfast was ok but not great.

Very close to McMahon stadium, which is what we wanted it for. Did the job for a short stay to see the CFL game, but nothing spectacular for a long term stay.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Not as advertised.

1. I understand continental breakfast, but warm to cool coffee is not good. Boiled eggs tasted funny. 2. Room is nothing like the pictures. Our tub was stained and my wife actually cleaned it. Bed is very uncomfortable. You can feel the springs on the bed. 3. Very noisy. Any neighborhood that allowed the door to close would rattle the walls. 4. We prepaid and left a note to pay our deposit and the gentleman who checked us in charged everything again. Not good.

Nothing. Would never stay again.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Perfect for our needs and priced right.

Nothing of any great consequence.

Served our needs perfectly. We were visiting our son and his family and simply needed a place to sleep. Location for drive to his house best we could find. Clean and well looked after. Wifi had a few hiccups, but no big deal. Denny’s next door was good for a couple of meals.

6.0
    We had our room switched to a pet room and my dog ended up...

We had our room switched to a pet room and my dog ended up stayin with a friend because they would have put my fiance and I in a room with two double beds instead of the king room I booked. He is too big for those beds so the pup had to stay elsewhere. We were there for hospital care for him and was a little upset that we couldn't have the dog with us

Good price for an overnight stay but wouldn't like to...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

Breakfast was poorly organized, very small room, 5 small tables for whole motel, not stocked, no tea, no ability to boil water, no fresh fruit and very limited cereals. Motel noisy and bath did not drain while showering, in fact did not drain for 10 mintes post showering.

Good price for an overnight stay but wouldn't like to stay any longer.

There was a very obscene random crank phone call to the room...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

There was a very obscene random crank phone call to the room at 5am in the morning apparently from outside the motel. Some real crazies staying here. Some sketchy guests. Clean but run down looking

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Small room, nowhere to sit, absolutely no curb appeal, very dated decor throughout, do not understand why this hotel is still in the Choice system.

Honestly we had a great nights sleep.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

That a pet friendly/smoking room wasn't available. We did book pet friendly!??

Accededentlly, we checked out a half an hour late, sorry but the staff were very understanding and patience and we are thankful for that.

Fair enough for the price

I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke, when I was going to the 2nd floor, I could smell like a lingering smell of cigarette smoke, then I sneezed immediately. I didn't know where it was coming from but it smelled like it's been there for a long time.. maybe in the carpets or something. When we get to our room, the room was warm as the air conditioner wasn't turned on yet. I was expecting it was turned on as I've indicated on my reservation the expected time of my arrival. The bed sheets doesn't look fresh, it looked old but it was okay. The room needed some updating or repainting.

Price was good.

Friendly staff and complimentary coffee and iced lemon water...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Security fee taken off credit card and 3-5 days to refund. Had my card details so if any issues they could charge later

Friendly staff and complimentary coffee and iced lemon water in reception

no crossiants and the bed wasn't comfortable
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

there was no internet until the next morning the breakfast did not have much to choose from it was really noisy in the halls I will not stay there again I have nothing else to say

no crossiants and the bed wasn't comfortable

Good value for the price.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Outside door to our room was blocked by a large cabinet. Even though our car was parked outside our room we had to carry our suitcases, etc. down to the entrance and then back down the hall to our room.

The location is close to everything with easy access into and out of the motel village.

Overall my stay was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It would be nice coffee makers to in the room but were not. You only got one if you asked for it. You didn't get one if you don't ask.

It was close to everything

I saved $300 vs staying at Best Western next door so I got what I wanted

The noise level in the hotel was excessive owing to the thin walls and the predisposition of the doors slamming which caused disturbances at all hours. Granted the occupants could have been more sensitive to this issue as we were, however that was not the case. Also the bed did not have a fitted sheet. Breakfast room was terrible as was the selection however would gladly give up breakfast for the low rate we had.

The daily rate was very affordable.

The bathroom was very clean
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed sheets were a bit dirty The window was really streaky and dirty The top of the light switch was covered in dust

The bathroom was very clean

Very good value for your money.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Front desk staff were very helpful when we needed to order a cab. Liked seeing there was a fridge in the room etc.-even though we did not need this time.

Will never stay here again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms way to small The whole motel was so damn hot. No heat on and still couldn’t cool room down with window open Room keys never worked and always had to go get them reprogrammed. Tv was fuzzy and talked to front desk and said there all like that. Never even offered anything to help it out or not.

Noisy and hot in the room so didn't sleep well.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

Location is terrible with nowhere to walk the dog...no sidewalks just parking lot and busy streets on all sides. Pillows should be thrown away as very lumpy...not suitable for use. Building not sound proof noisy with footsteps..doors closing and voices. Bedding also not appropriate...very thin blankets and room very hot and not able to turn it down. Had to use AC or open window often. Windows dirty and not secure...curtains stained. Also at check in room rate was totally different than online and agent had no idea where the online booking got that rate...he also tried to charge extra pet fee even though online booking said specifically that it was already a pet room and there would be no extra fee.

Free breakfast saved money. My dog was allowed. Needed the fridge in room for dog food and medication so liked that. Staff was lovely.

Thank you. Ill ne sure to have a repeat visit.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The last 3 nights I bearly slept due to the on going traffic and constant water running ... Upset with 5 hrs sleep in 3 days and nothing was rectified. Tired and mad. This was supposed to be relaxing

Staff

Good value and location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

Walls were thin Could here other guests talking in hallway.

Free continentalbreakfast Free parking. Affordable. Close to Kensington where we were visiting Pet friendly rooms

Everything was clean, friendly staff and there was a...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

Everything was clean, friendly staff and there was a continental breakfast. After the renovations it will even look better. We stayed there for two nights and the room service was perfect. No complains at all.

Friendly and helpful staff members.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking lot is tight. Maybe because half of it was covered with thick snow.

Friendly and helpful staff members. good free breakfast. A short walk to train station. It only takes 15 minutes to downtown Calgary. I left my car at hotel parking lot and hopped on the train and enjoys my days walking on +15.

It was good. I like the central location of the hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not getting choice points for staying there because I had booked with Booking.com.

The desk clerk was very good. Variety of food for breakfast was appreciated

Good enough for the low price
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

We were 4 people and there were 3 big towels.

We stayed one night and everything was ok for the price we paid. Normal breakfast hours were 7-10 , but they let us in at 6:30 cuz we were taking off very early. The breakfast is nothing fancy, but still opening it earlier made a good impression on me.

i've had better stays at this hotel. only booked there cause the regular hotel i stay at closed down
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

bit of mix up, cause of adding an extra day. had to maken2 separate reservations. was not told I needed to check out and recheck in even though I was in the same room. and then they tried to charge me for the second night that was already p[aid for 3 months earlier. bit of an issue with the parking lot, cause there was a lot of ice

location was close to my appointment

The front desk staff were very friendly.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was like a sauna, and the heat was difficult to adjust. Beds and pillows were overly soft, and the door frame was crooked, allowing light from the hallway to spill into the room.

The front desk staff were very friendly. Given it's proximity to 16th Ave, I expected traffic noise to be an issue, but it wasn't. Room was clean.

Enough said.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

This place was not very clean, stayed for 2 nights room was not even looked at before 2nd night extremely warm (TEMPERATURE ) WHICH WAS ASKED TO BE TURNED DOWN smelled of cigarette smoke.

Bed was comfortable, convenient location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

temperature was to warm in the room, maintenence required [ tiles falling off wall on kitchenette ] crushed smarties on floor. [ looked as though the room was never swepted ]

Bed was comfortable, convenient location

not bad

Unfortunately a few uncontrollable things happened such as very slow wifi and noisy couple who yelled and argued for a couple of hours every evening on the hallway. Room wasn't as clean as the previous time.

Friendly staff. Good location if coming from the west.. This time room was warmer than last time and they were able to give me the kind of room I wanted.

Staff were excellent
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Let me tell you, why don't you have a nice seat because this is going to be a long one. There was a huge gap in the door because the screws were not done up properly; therefore, the door was almost falling off its hinges. This was accentuated by the fact that the frame had shifted over time, causing the door to no longer fit properly at all. Secondly, the "safety chain" was not safe at all as I undid the screws with my hand without any twisting action. The cable tv was cutting in and out throughout the entirety of our stay. Or should I say the ghetto cable. The heat setting dial on the vent was hardly appropriate as someone wrote the word "warmer" on it with a sharpie. When I did adjust this dial, the heat did not change in the room. Oh and let me point out, this all happened in room 120. Aside from all of this, the staff were absolutely amazing. The two men we dealt with at the front desk were extremely professional, courteous, and confident. I would 100% deal with those staff members again, just not in your facility. P.s. hire new painters, the painting in the room was atrocious.

Staff were excellent

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Everything you need for a comfortable sleep, without too many fancy extras.

The only thing lacking was the choice of cable tv channels. Once you take out the weather channel and things like that, you only had 10-12 to pick from. And a couple of those were showing the same thing. It was okay for the price, but during a longer stay it might get a little boring.

While the room wasn't super fancy, it was very clean (I check the bathroom before I even take off my coat/shoes) and had everything you (possibly) would need. Also a nice amount of space. Free wifi and a light breakfast in the morning. All in all - a good value.

Would try it again
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom wall was dirty. I washed it myself and the stains were very easy to remove. Very little for blankets but the room was a bit too warm so was ok.

Perfect for a economical and inexpensive place to stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Sorry, I see I wrote the like and dislike in the wrong places. I liked the bed, it was extremely comfy, as were the pillows. The are lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

The breakfast room is under renovations, so it was closed. We were requested to take our breakfast to our room. This was not a big deal, but it was a bit inconvenient. I understand that it couldn't be helped and I'm sure it will be a good improvement. There were no coffee makers in the rooms anymore. But for what we paid, it was perfect for our needs. We will stay again.

Never coming back in winter

Very cold room. It was -20 outside and there was no heating in the room. Talked to the staff and was given a small electric heater which wasn't enough for that room because of the high ceiling. When arrived, asked for another room but they couldn't do it because I booked through booking.com

Staff was ok. Room was clean and spacious.

Not pet friendly for the extra they charge, and breakfast was limited.

This is NOT a pet friendly location. We had two cats and were placed on the second floor, in the middle room. There is a giant list of restrictions on pets too with risk of $$ charges if not complied.

Didn't expect much for the price, but would not go back.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room smelled like decades of stale smoking. Thw walls of the room were paper thin so we could hear every footstep from the floor above, each car starting outside the window, and every word from the loud conversations the housekeepers had right out in the hallway at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning. We barely slept even after getting earplugs the second night. The room also didn't seem clean, with hair everywhere and even an iron that we couldn't use because it was caked in brown film.

Convenient location and one of the cheaper rates in town

Good location extremely close to C train stop.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Low shower head only at shoulder level, I am only 6 feet tall. Mini fridge and A/C were loud in my room.

Good location extremely close to C train stop.

Recomend and will go again if we are in Calgary for an event.

Pillows were flat for a kingsize bed we expected more. Did ask for more but were informed , (after the wonderful clerk went to go look) that there were non. He did inform us that there was an extra pillow in the 1 drawer. There is a notice that they will shut down your wifi usage if you use it too much.

Great little stay staff were excellent, location to train for access to the concert we were in Calgary to attend.

Good value accomodation
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

Maid staff seem incapable of reading a "Do not disturb" notice on the door!! And some do not knock to make sure no one is in the room!!

Bath. coffee, & microwave in room

The breakfast no good, they didn't use the paper cup,and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was 3 econolodge in the same area, i went to the wrong one, and when I found the one I book,I was disappointed.

The breakfast no good, they didn't use the paper cup,and the plate is small, the night when we check in the staff told me that if we eat in Denny will have 15% discount.may be they want us to eat in Denny. And the breakfast table set up in 3 parts, and the eating room separated which many people rather take back to the room.

Frustrating!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

All the pet friendly rooms are on the second floor. this is contrary to any other motel we have EVER stayed at. If a handicapped person is traveling with their pet they are out of luck...no elevator! We requested a first floor room for handicap reasons and that we had a pet. We weren't told before arrival that we had to be on the second floor so needless to say they were a lot of issues getting checked in. Finally got the first floor room after we had seen another guest take their pet into a first floor room.

The shower was good and hot.

The coffee at their morning continental breakfast was not very good. There wasn't enough fruit. Could not get connc

The shower was good and hot. Easy access to the Hwy. Restaurants and coffee shop near by.The sconespat the continental breakfast were good. Staff were very helpful during check in and check out.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Much to improve on

Needs a more welcoming staff, maybe leather furnitures in the lobby, and most importantly regular checks for bed bugs.

Location is great. Easily on the road to and from our destinations.

1. Providing basic & nutritious breakfast.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

1. The bathroom tub is 1 foot higher than usual above the ground without anything to hold on. When we got out of shower, we almost slid. It was very dangerous. 2. One of lamps next to the bed was connected with a unstable extension cord against the head borad. When you moved your pillow against the head board, the lamp went out. It was very irritating and kind of dangerous.

1. Providing basic & nutritious breakfast. 2. Facility and equipment are complete and basic for the price. 3. Good location.

Price it good, but you get what you pay for
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Walls are paper thin, so every move in the next room echoes into your room. It was hard to fall asleep with.

Price it good, but you get what you pay for

Good place for a night or two.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Even though I had the first room, very close to reception, it was very quiet and I could get a good nights' sleep. Check in and check out were very smooth. Staff is very helpful. Good place to stay for a night or two while travelling.

good value for money
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the room that I stayed was queen standard room on ground floor and it had kitchenette in it that I liked about. breakfast is just okay, you have to get food and bring it to your room coz there is no tables to sit down. it was little noisy outside, but if you get upstairs, would be no problem and upstairs seemed have balcony. good value for money.

comfortable bed and cheap room
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room smelt musty and needed basic maintenance. Trim was falling off the wall, the door stuck, etc.

The room had a fridge, microwave, stove, and sink. The location is central to the city but not a great one if you prefer to walk places.

Easy place to find and very clean rooms.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The maids who make a noise in the corridor whilst people are trying to sleep ie letting doors shut loudly and talking outside the door whilst working.

The bed linen was nice and fresh also nice white fluffy towels and the bed was most comfortable. lots of hot water for showers and baths.

Terrible service
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I booked 3 rooms, all with the same credit card, at the same time however when I checked-in one of the rooms was cancelled because apparently my credit card declined for just that one room?!!! Considering it was 1 booking for 3 rooms on the same card and the other rooms were fine, this made absolutely no sense. The man on reception told us we could only have 2 rooms because they had sold our 3rd room and the hotel was fully booked. After arguing with him for about 30 minutes he magically managed to rebook our 3rd room even though the hotel was apparently full. Absolutely terrible service and I would never stay here or at any other econo lodge again. They obviously overbooked the hotel because of the Calgary stampede.

The girl on reception was helpful

Poor customer service
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything. If they offer free room for next time, I will not go there. Site manager was not good at all. He was not good with customer service skill. Even though he was not sure what is customer service. I will not recommend anyone there. I just wasted my money. I will suggest to remove this hotel from Booking.com to save your reputation.

Good value.

The smoke permeates through the motel and was stinky in the hallway and stairwell. The continental breakfast was in an odd spot so close to the front desk. Seemed cramped and more of an afterthought. It should be in the room for a better feeling and sit down breakfast.

I liked the location itself. The bed was comfy. I liked the room had both a microwave and fridge.

after moving to 3 rooms that ev erything worked and second...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

after moving to 3 rooms that ev erything worked and second level ,for a man that has foot problems it was crappy,,,,it wore me right out.wont stay there again,,,

Filthy, Dirty and Not worth your money.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room and beds were filthy. There was hair all over the pillows as if someone had slept in the bed before we came. The sheets were stained with oil like substance. The floor was filthy. Dead flies and food crumbles still from previous guests. It says the hotel is smoke free yet the entire hotel/ motel smelt like an ashtray. We had to leave the window open the entire night to get some fresh air. Terrible dirty place. I will never ever go to this particular location again.

Location was close by where I needed to go, parking was...

Breakfast sucked, but there is a Denny's next door. The hotel visually didn't age well but it is still kept in decent shape.

Location was close by where I needed to go, parking was pretty easy, wifi was fast, and the bed a clean and comfy.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

More than 50 bites on arms and back

Got more than 50 mite (chiggers) bites on arms and lower back from staying in a room here - I've had to buy antihistamine tablets and cream to lessen the itchiness and reduce size of bites. Rooms need a thorough clean. Waste bins in room not emptied everyday. Cleanliness routine in the premises needs looking at by the mgmt. The female behind the desk who appears to be a manager is not very customer focused and soft skills need improving-she seemed a bit abrupt when asked about calling a taxi to the airport and said I should call from my cellphone. Luckily in the end the male member of staff also behind the desk called a taxi for me to the airport.

The property was very affordable and easy to get to.

Property had a vague breakfast, and doors didnt always close when we left. Other then that the property was a little old but not necessarily easy to notice when in the rooms.

The property was very affordable and easy to get to. The beds were comfortable.

Very convenient.....

All was good!

The property was very close & perfect location to the University of Calgary, which is where we went daily during our visit for the Judo Nationals.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2019

Very pleasant and staff accommodated our needs.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Pet Friendly

The continental breakfast room was far too small to accommodate all the folks and families at 8:30 - 9:00 am.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2019

breakfast

everything else

breakfast

• Reviewed: 14 May 2019

excellent as always

I liked everything

I liked the discount at the restaurant next door

• Reviewed: 9 May 2019

Nice trip, Sound sleep
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff at the front desk were really nice and helpful whenever I needed! Talking to them made it more fascinating!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2019

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was not comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2019

It was good for my purpose

Room a little dungy

• Reviewed: 25 April 2019

Mike Medcalfe
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Need a designated smoking area.

Close to restaurants ,shopping mall,and train station.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!