Reviews of Hotel Elegant 2 stars

6.2

6.1

6.1

• Standard Queen Room

I asked for a non-smoking room. When I walked in, the man at the reception told me that the whole hotel was non-smoking area, but when I entered the room, it smells like cigarette, there was cigarette burns on the carpet, also on the bed sheets. I went back to the reception and the only thing the man did, he opened the a/c in the room, telling me it was only the smell of a room that wasn’t opened for a long time... after I took a shower in the evening, the towels were so dirty that I had to dry myself with some toilet papers... I went to the reception and talk to them, they offered me some croissants and orange juice, even to pick my own towel from the laundry room, but they were all dirty. There was also some urine on the floor beside the toilet. I attached some pictures song with my comments. Please people, don’t go there!

The staff was friendly and tried to help me get comfortable, which wasn’t possible.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location is not walk-able to the major landmarks of Montreal. The hotel is old and dingy and really needs a major face-lift to attract quality guests. The room itself was also dated - think 80's with touch lamps and all. The sheets on one of the beds was actually stained and dirty. While the cost was cheap enough - I would definitely not be coming back to stay here and would encourage people to spend the extra 20 - 30 to get something more centrally located with updated finishes.

The value is there - absolutely. Just remember you get what you pay for.

• Standard Queen Room

The parking is in a public parking lot across the street and is paid for separately

The person at the front desk was very nice and helpful, the room as clean but a little warm. The breakfast that is included is small but nice. ( Croissants, coffee, tea)

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The reception staff (Egyptian/Tunisian/Indian) were amazing. Also, the owners of the Hotel (originally from India) are very cordially helpful and look after every single matter there just to satisfy their guests. I liked the oriental / Indian spirit there. In general, the hotel is very clean, modest and acceptable because it's well located close to major area in downtown of Montréal (within few minutes walk you can be at Place Dupuis center, Métro Berri, rue Ste-Catherine, MacDonald and Amir Restaurants, etc..). I even met at this hotel with many tourists from Europe and Africa. Also some governmental délégations were accomodated at this hotel and other prominent people. I liked the little corner of internet desk accessible Inside the Cafeteria on main lobby level. I do appreciated when the reception staff placed and stored my luggages inside a closet after checking out by 12:00 noon, so I did make a tour in downtown of Montréal and came back to pick it up before travelling by train around 6:00 PM.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was only croissants and muffins. Tea and coffee. We were expecting more when they says breakfast.The receptionist was so rude.

The room was very nice for the price. It’s very close to old Montreal actually it’s in old Montreal.

• Standard Queen Room

In the name of breakfast, they gave a croissant, orange juice and a muffin. I didn't like any of these. They tasted stale. The price they charged was way higher than what I expected. I would have taken a 4 star hotel at a little far off location for the same price. This was a 2 star hotel. Not value for money deal. Parking was another issue. There is no free parking.

Only the location was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

terrible wifi, breakfast meant stale croissants and muffins that's it and would always finish, there was a constant smell in the room, staff wasn't very helpful, didn't even restock on soap and shampoos when they cleaned, so didn't even have soap on day 2. and that's all they had, just a tiny soap and shampoo, parking was extra, the concierge told us it was 15/day and gave us a card for the garage next to it. and the garage actually cost 7 dollars for 24 hrs if we paid for parking separately and didnt get the card from the hotel.

price, location

• Standard Queen Room

The boss here is not nice, I noted for a high floor when I booked, but the boss who arranged me in basement floor when checking in, I asked him why' for two times, He didn't explain, just shakes himself Head with ugly and stranger expressions, no any word, I thought he was sick, had to leave him soon, but later he left hotel, I asked another receptionist to change me third floor.

Receptionists all were nice to their guests, tried to help.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The beds were extremely uncomfortable, there were no screens in the windows, the room was very small. Even though we had booked for 4 people there were only 2 sets of towels and not enough toilet paper

The price was ok

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bed was rock hard,it messed up my entire body, woke up in pain both mornings. Walls are paper thin, you can hear everything, including a fight above me at 3:45am on a Sunday morning. Night reception only spoke french, I couldn't tell him about the fight. Rooms have an elevated wood threshold which is almost impossible to navigate with a walker. View from room was of apartments.

Day reception at the desk is a great person, he's a transplant from my province, perfect English which helped us. Elevator to room was great. One of few hotels on the street on street level, only one with a ramp and automatic door.

• Standard Queen Room

Really, you get what you pay for.. 1. Room cleaning is near non existent as we had to manage our own rubbish and ask for room to be vaccumed. 2.Room staff were often rude and abrupt. 3. General room cleanliness wasn't great. Bathroom sink wasn't cleaned for entire stay. We stayed for several weeks and as described there is a lot of basic stuff that could be improved for a better experience.

Close proximity to downtown and transport. Close proximity to restaurants

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not many channels available on the tv. Water in shower was either burning or cold. Fair amount of noise heard from other rooms.

Staff was amazing, he helped me parallel park in a sm spot on a montreal street so I wouldnt have to pay for parking. Room was cramped but suffient for what I needed.

• Standard Queen Room

Wish they have more choices for breakfast.

Nice staff and considerable service. We checked in the midnight and they extended our checking-out time. We really had a good rest after a long-time driving.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

My room wasn’t clean. I checked in way passed check in time at 4AM really exhausted and wanted to sleep. So there was enough time to clean that room. The previous guests bath towels were still there our bed sheets didn’t look like it was changed and it was really itchy plus there was little blood marks on the other bed. I stayed there before and it was never that bad which is why I came again. But.... I don’t know what happened this time.

It was convenient for what I paid for

• Standard Queen Room

The walls were thin and we could hear people in the halls at all hours coming in and out. We ended up leaving and driving 4 hours home instead of staying.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The sheets on the bed or a dirty sheets we had to do the new bedsheets put them on ourselves the bathroom is small puny and hold the rooms are outdated there was a dirty towel still in the bathroom the phone was broken the lamp is broken and there was no microwave or coffee maker.

Cheap price and has an elevator.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

breakfast was to small and there was not may options. please charge a little extra and have eggs and hash browns. This should solidify your hotel and differentiate from other locations near by.

There wasnt much breakfast just small items of muffins and bread

• Standard Queen Room

The dated decor, the muffins, the orange juice, the top blanket, not enough pillows.

The size of the room, the furniture, the fridge, the elevator, the window, the area to hang clothes, the bathtub.

• Standard Queen Room

Noises Floor, next door telephone, flushing from above But I don’t expect it to be a 5 star hotel for the amount I paid for the long weekend. $130 including taxes for the 2 of us. I think it’s one hell of a deal

Amazing location Block away from st Cathrines st Best thing about this place is the money and location

• Standard Queen Room

Parking could have been included as expected (whether this is booking's fault of the hotel's we don't know). The day clerk could have been less surly, to us and others we witnessed, the tv could have been ready to go.

The location, one block from a major metro interchange and two from an excellent, restaurant/pub/club street is perfecct

• Standard Queen Room

Very rude staff. They didn’t tell us about breakfast, parking, or that the doors lock at night. Room was filthy. Blood on the walls. And big stains on the floor.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We paid $50+Tax for this property. Location is nice. Would appreciate if there were air fresher in the washroom. As far as I know there were no breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The sheeds and pillows were dirty and we found couple woman long hair on the pillows it mean that they don’t chance the sheeds and pillow covers when some one check out

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They should improve the cleaning part, they left dirty towels 2 consecutives days, no vaccum, etc.

Great location, good Service from the Young guys at the front desk.

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing they steal from you there horrible people and I don't recommend this place to any one verry dirty people and they don't clean the rooms well and they steal from you

• Standard Queen Room

Housekeeping couldn’t care less of the cleanliness didn’t even bother to vacuum , wipe the desk or even clean the toilet and sink when I asked for room service ... they made the bed that’s it !

• Standard Queen Room

Awful breakfast, actually it was not a breakfast ( 1 tasteless muffin and one undrinkable orange juice). Public spaces smelt bad and were not that clean. The room was ugly and kitsch.

Location was good

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like how they don't have toothbrush and toothpaste ,lotion. Few extra pillows in very important and blankets, extra towels

Good service, polite personal and comfortably

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast can have a bit more variety. People walking with pajama to breakfast area. WiFi not great. Towel was coarse.

Simple but comfortable for family. Good value.

The receptionist guy making money by giving a wrong information to the visitors about street rules parking and pushing guests to buy most expensive parking from the Hotel.

Location.Clean and comfortable for short visit.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Terrible experience!!! On the first weekend that I was there I accidentally left my charger in the room, intermediately call to let them know and the man insisted that the charger was never found. The second weekend we stayed was the worst. No air conditioning (heater), terrible internet, the worst bed and pillows and to make things worst my friend and I end up with all our bodies bite by bed bugs. EWWW!!! The "breakfast" is an old croissant. Really the worst experience I have ever have.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff at the parking lot just across the hotel were very unhelpful and rude when the card given at the hotel didn’t work so I can access the parking. One hang out on me when I called and was very rude.

Cheap and good hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast is very basic. So can't respond the bonus question on how were the eggs. There was no eggs...

Decent place, basic comfort. Very good value for money. Very well located near transit and in centre town. Excellent WiFi connection! Fridge in the room. Elevator to get to the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wifi didn't work in our rooms and poorly everywhere else too. The city public wifi worked somewhat if you sat on the window sill with window open. ;) Tiny room and bathroom. Narrow window, a bit dark and dim inside. One of us tried the breakfast - not worth it. Some of the staff a bit rude, or maybe it's just their style.

Value for money, good for a couple of nights stay but not longer. Close to a shopping mall and metro station.

• Standard Queen Room

I had paid to stay for 4 nights. I arrived late and was checked in to a double room even though I had paid for a queen. The room had not been cleaned since the previous guest. There was urine on the toilet seat and hairs everywhere. The sheets had not been changed. I was moved to another double room that was somewhat clean and promised a queen room the next day. The next morning when I was pouring my coffee the 'dining room', a bug with lots of legs ran by my feet. I spoke without front desk and asked for a refund because I cannot stay in filth. They processed my refund for 3 nights on the spot. That wasn't on Oct 12. I still have not received the money back. I also do not know why they made me sign a visa slip from the 80's and have since changed my credit card to avoid any other problems.

• Standard Queen Room

The internet was disgusting continuously on and off. Had to sit in the hallway to get it for more than a couple of minutes. The bathroom stunk all the time and couldn't alter the room temperature. Next room people each night sounded like in the same room as us.Told reception each night about Internet.only on the last night did the last receptionist offer a room change.

The customer service was good especially the male receptionist on Wed 01 Nov

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed were a bit too hard to my taste. I was able to sleep on it, just not too comfortably. The windows should have nets (against mosquitoes).

The hotel was really clean (room, bathroom and corridors). Staff was nice and helpful (bilingual too).

The staff miscalculated the price, we found out the amount was higher than what it was confirmed. The staff we met recalculated, refunded us and after 30 mins, called us several times asking us to come down immediately to return them $3 saying because he miscalculated the refund! How bad we felt after a long day driving, so exhausted but were "forced" to come down just to pay $3 for their stupid error!!! The inconvience they caused cost much more than that!

• Standard Queen Room

Attention to detail lacking. Found old cut toenails on rug. Gross. Never vacuumed rug prior to arrival.

Bathrrom clean. Sheets clean. Staff friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast - stale croissants, bad coffee, bad juice. I felt that they really didn't want to provide a breakfast or food, so they made the offerings intentionally poor. Why not add more fruit, granola, fresh baguette, even some boiled eggs and cheese?

Sunny room, with a lovely balcony. It was perfect for a warm fall afternoon.

• Standard Queen Room

I stayed more than one hour at the bus station to wait for check-in time at the hotel at noon. Unfortunately when arriving at the hotel the room was not ready yet.

During my stay the atmosphere was quiet. I felt at home.

• Standard Queen Room

I noticed that there was no individual thermostat adjustment in my room. During the day the room was a little bit too hot. But on the upside the room was nice and warm during the night when the outside temp. was a low 8 degrees celsius. Also, the room was a bit small but adequate for 1 person. It would also be nice if the motel offered pay-per-view!

The bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel was very quiet. These are the most critical elements! I credit the hotel owners and staff for being very strict in terms of noise control, even to the extent of posting large signs telling clients that they had to be quiet after 10:00pm, and that no late-night visitors would be allowed!

• Standard Queen Room

It smells terrible when you first enter the room. And one of the receptionists is not so friendly, but another one who works during the night is very good and helpful.

The breakfast is good. You can grab juice and coffee here.

• Standard Queen Room

Would recommend a new mattress and pillows. Room was very small, but adequate for sleeping. It did get noisy on Saturday night, but a word with the manager took care of the problem.

the location was fine, close to Public Transp. Lots of restaurants. Located in the Quartier Latin. Starbucks across the Street was a plus. Walking distance to universities.

• Standard Queen Room

Should add cereal to continental breakfast .

.The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The price satisfactory for this type of accommodation. Front desk personal very helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff didn't know how to control the room temperature we had to sleep with the window open as it was warm or outside the temperature couldn't be controlled by the individual rooms

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cleanliness. Room dirty , carpets filthy sheets full of hair. Had to ask to have sink tub and bath cleaned which they did .

Beds good . Location perfectly close to Metro. Staff very frienfly

• Standard Queen Room

Wifi not adequate. Very weak, we gave up trying to use it.

Second visit in a week. Handy to bus terminal. Breakfast slight improvement. Orange juice not watered down. A bit more food available. Also quieter.

• Standard Queen Room

Very noisy guests banging doors, running up and down corridor until early hours of the morning. Breakfast very basic and hardly any food, watered down orange juice. Wifi useless.

Handy to the bus stop

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

For the amount of time we were there it was fine. We were there for 14 hours. Instant Coffee, no eggs. Creepy. Parking is terrible. I got a $53 parking ticket. Can’t understand the signs

Nothing really stood out. Very low key.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was smelly. Breakfast was miserable - nothing more than tasteless muffins and rolls that looked like croissants, strawberry jam and butter only. Milk was frozen .... no fruit, no cereal (we ended up going out instead)! Beds were old, squeaky, uncomfortable with stained sheets and lumpy pillows. Shower was either just hot or just cold.

Location was fantastic - easy access to metro and restaurants etc.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms are outdated and everything is so old. so much so I was concerned about the cleanliness.

It was a convinient location to where I wanted to be.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was old and tired every time I moved. There was no soundproofing at all, so the sound of people rattling in the next room and the sound of knocking on the door till dawn made it difficult to sleep.

It was convenient because it was located near the train station and there was an elevator in the hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

It’s better to upgrade room facilities, there is hole in blanket and TV set is old

Good location, just walk in 5-8 minuets get to metro station, bus station, supermarket and restaurants. Air port bus can direct bring you to Berri Station, very convenient.

• Standard Queen Room

a working toilet right from the start.

I liked that there was a staff person in the breakfast room to keet the food supplies coming. The biggest problem was the toilet. The flush did not work. It doesn't get any worse than that. They did repair it when asked BUT I felt it could malfunction at any time. There wasn't a stopper for the tub so we couldn't take a bath. There was a large hole in one of the bed sheets.The window curtains was off the curtain rack. I climbed on some kind of footstool and reattached it. How housekeeping could miss this is hard to understand.

• Standard Queen Room

The wi-fi in our room was a bit flakey at times. I also didn't like all the disposable plates/cups/utensils at the breakfast; real glasses and plates would be more environmentally-friendly.

This hotel was well-located, easily accessible from the Metro. It was easy to reach any point in Montreal. The surrounding neighbourhoods held a range of eating options. The hotel was clean overall, and the breakfast enough to get the day started. I would stay here again.

• Standard Queen Room

Bed bugs. Dirty linen and smelly towels that had been used and not changed despite the fact that the room had been 'made up' for new occupants. The toilet flush also broke.

Do not stay Here!There are bed bugs. You will be bitten and risk taking them in your luggage and infecting your own home. The hotel is disgusting. They do not change the sheets and towels between guests!I am used to budget hotels and my standards are not high but to have bed bugs and still be open is indefensible. I do not expect a budget hotel to change the sheets and towels everyday during my stay but surely there are regulations that they should be changed between guests. The place is a public health risk and should be closed down until the bed bugs have been eradicated and not reopened until the staff and management understand basic hygiene. They are aware of the bed bugs as the mattresses are encased but the encasements have tears in them rendering them in effect worst than useless. The sheets were all soiled and stained from previous guests and the bed bugs. We found bed bug larva in the bed and casts (moults) in our luggage. The manager refused to give a refund and had to be persuaded to change the dirty linen. At least one other guest experienced the bugs and filthy bed clothes while we were there.

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms were a bit on the small side.

Good location near intercity and airport bus garage. Restaurant row (rue St Denis) is two blocks away. Metro station is a half block away.

• Standard Queen Room

Staff was very friendly and helpful especially the gentlemen at the desk. The hotel location was convenient to dining, shopping, and public transportation. Whenever we needed something, it was taken care of, but it should not have been necessary to ask for some things, e.g. towels to be replaced, room vacuumed, box of tissue...

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

See above. I, unfortunately, answered the wrong box. This was was not on my screen when I filled out the above box

Not much to like. Lobby was terrible. No parking. Room had no air conditioning. Staff told us that repair service had been called to fix this A/C problem. Seen no evidence of problem repair taking place!

• Standard Queen Room

No aircon bed base had blood on and mattress hard caused back ache in moring bath was dirty Breakfast was stale crosants and muffins and orange cordial Rooms not done til 5 pm

Proximity to public transport

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel does not provide even tea facility in the room, which is bear minimum courtesy in all hotels now-a-days. Room, blanket and Tap water is smelly. Breakfast is very poor.

Elevator facility and convenient location.

• Standard Queen Room

No hot drinks in room, but could use facilities in breakfast room.

Convenient to coach station and Old Montreal. Restaurants and food outlets close by. Helpful staff. Good to have breakfast, though basic.

• Standard Queen Room

Place wasn't very clean, very dirty chairs, bathroom and carpet. Broken sink in the bathroom and fire alarm device was hanging from the ceiling on short cable, wasn't secured to the ceiling. Overall cleanness was questionable.

Location was great , access to the parking but price for that little bit to high

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms smelled bad. The place was falling apart, and the location was not very welcoming.

cheap and able to accomodate last minute plans, and also, free breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The continental breakfast -- wish there had been paper or ceramic cups instead of styrofoam ones for the coffee. Even access to bread to make toast would have been nice and a little peanut butter?

• Standard Queen Room

Paper-thin walls. Very difficult to get any sleep when you can hear next door neighbours speak n chat n argue in their language at night! There was a sign "no noise after 11pm". Nobody seemed to care nor respect it. Very annoying. Staff should make sure guests are reminded to be respectful and polite after hours: sign the T&Cs at check-in. there is a lot of turn-over ppl checking in n out for a night or two only.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was very basic, dark and small.

First time we had stayed in Montreal. People at front desk were helpful and friendly. Parking was good, across the road in a lock up covered car park

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air conditioning control was in the ceiling which was 12 feet high. I had to climb on my suitcase, on my bed to adjust it. Then they turned it completely off on the weekend. They charge different rates for different nights.

The staff, mainly CJ were really friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for seeing the city.

• Standard Queen Room

On arrival those on reception were not welcoming which was sad as it was my first impression of Montreal. I did not like the sad state of the room, it was very off putting. The bed was hard and the linen was old and gray so made it look unclean.

The location was good and the shower was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When booking it says breakfast is included but it should be specific that it's a continental breakfast.

The location is excellent it's close to everything .

• Standard Queen Room

Room was not very large bed base was very dirty had had something spilt on it and hadnt been cleaned bath was not very clean either.Bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in in a hotel it was terrible both my husband and I woke with sore backs.

• Standard Queen Room

Only flaw, not of great concern, is lack of cleanliness on the stairs.

Staff is always available to help in any way such as area tips and internet use. Excellent asssistance in the breakfast room.

• Standard Queen Room

Cleanliness of room was poor despite recent decoration. Breakfasts were woeful. Chewy croissants, cheap jam and tasteless muffins. The dining area was poorly furnished, too small for the number of guests and chairs were badly stained.Polystyrene cups, plastic knives and no plates

Helpfulness of the staff

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Housekeeping could do a little better job vacuuming corners.

Excellent value for the money. I have read reviews that state the staff was unprofessional, but I couldn't find them to be any nicer, friendly and helpful! The breakfast is basic, croissants and muffins, but plentiful. Honestly, I don't know what people who have complained are expecting, this motel was 1/2 the price of other 2 star hotels and 1/4 the price of 3 star...I found it to be better in value than others I have stayed at in the past, and will return here in the future!

Browse Hotel Elegant traveller photo gallery