Reviews of Executive Royal Hotel Calgary 3 stars

2828 23 Street Northeast, T2E 8T4 Calgary, Canada

#49 of 100 hotels in Calgary

The staff at this hotel turned an error and stressful situation into a wonderful experience.
    • Executive Queen Room

Not being able to spend more time with these great staff members!!!

There was an error made in the date of stay and the staff we fantastic to accommodate the change in date . . . even though the hotel was fully booked. Joyce and Adam were awesome to fix things and make me feel welcome.

Was alittle disappointing that I was told no bed covers left for our children and they were given sh
    • Executive King Room

We arrived late with children, the beds were not made up and they did not have any bed covers left for the kids, so they were given sheets! Not acceptable really!

It was easy and fast to get our room.
    • Standard King Room

There were lipstick stains on the coffee mugs. And the pillows are all the same size and too big. I understand that for some it's comfortable, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't sleep on these big pillows.

It was easy and fast to get our room.

The hotel has seen some recent aesthetic improvements, and...
    • Executive Queen Room

The included wifi is, in a word, abominable. I had terrible connectivity and speed issues on two new devices. When traveling I am not a bandwidth hog, but this place made it difficult just to check email and a few sports scores. The wifi quality is one black mark on the property and really needs to be improved.

The hotel has seen some recent aesthetic improvements, and it looks fantastic. Our room was very clean and the property itself is in great shape. Staff at the front desk were friendly, as was the airport shuttle driver. Our queen bed was exceedingly comfortable, and despite being there over the start of the long weekend, he hotel was quiet.

Would stay again 😊
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff set us up in a amazing room(1 & 1/2 bathrooms with 5 people so needed!) We will go back definitely with our kids for that room! The staff how he treated us and worked with us over the initial problem with booking online was super helpful and took away our stress!

Great support of hotel staff in a difficult time.
    • Executive Queen Room

My husband became ill on our trip and i was so impressed with Chad on checking us in quickly and giving us late checkout on the day we had to leave two days earlier than expected. Thanks for the kind service.

No water pressure at all in the sink faucet.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No water pressure at all in the sink faucet. It was literally barely more than a dribble. The guest info binder in the room says there is a shop/convenience store in the hotel but apparently it went out of business awhile ago. We asked for a cot for our baby but were told that fire regulations wouldn’t allow it in a room of that size, but there was more than enough room to accommodate it with no exits being blocked or compromised at all.

It was off the trancanada highway and that it was easy to...
    • Executive Queen Room

The bathtub taps would not close, you had to use all your strength to open them and then again to close them.

It was off the trancanada highway and that it was easy to get to the airport.

The restaurant downstairs.
    • Standard King Room

The pillows are too large and too hard. I woke up with pain in my neck and back. We booked a king room and were given a room with two double beds instead. After a long day of traveling we didn’t have the energy to go back downstairs to let the front desk know.

The restaurant downstairs. The staff is friendly Separate washrooms in the lobby.

Comfortable bed. Disappointing shuttle service.
    • Standard King Room

The shuttle service. We booked the shuttle to go to the airport one morning. We were told it would pick us up at 7am because we want to be at the airport for 730. The shuttle picked us up on time but then drove to another hotel to pick someone else up and then circled back to our hotel to pick up another couple. None of these extra stops were communicated to us and we ended up being extremely rushed at the airport as we didn’t get there until 8. I was extremely dissapointed because if we were told about all of these extra stops we would have just called a called a cab.

The bed was comfortable

Property is "tired", staff was friendly, but overly-permissive with my Personal Information
    • Executive Queen Room

The registration clerk, while polite, helped herself to my wallet/DL without asking permission and started entering Personal Information without my permission and/or without explaining what Personal Information from my D/L she was entering; I was expecting a non-smoking room and what was delivered was a room that had been smoked in and that had that terrible stale smoke smell; the mattress was also soft and worn; Barlow Trail is now closed for access to the passenger terminal at the Calgary International Airport (location of the meeting I was to attend).

I knew the property from using it extensively in the mid '00s for group meetings.

I mite come back
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I prebooked for $91but the bill was over $100 +taxes Ther was a sprinkler damages mi Friend fall in the main entrees over a folded rug injured his Kni and nose.there was no apology or reimbursement

The bed and breakfast

great room, very helpful and friendly staff, very good value.
    • Executive King Room

The walk from parking lot was snow and ice covered; should have been cleared and sanded/salted.

Very spacious and well appointed room, larger than expected and well laid out. Front dsek staff very courteous, friendly and helpful.

95% Awesome!
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Laminate floors in the room which isn't soundproof. I was awakened @ 6:00 (after a great New Year party!) by a woman upstairs in heels walking back and forth for over an hour! I had to call reception to ask them to have her takes off her shoes and stop dropping things! . Didn't get the advertised 50+ 10% discouon breakfast. I guess it's my job to ask.

Bed was comfy; great shower pressure!

Will definitely stay again
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very pleased with the service and property. We where able to bring our pet which was a make or break for us with the hotel. They treated him as a guest which was fantastic. It was close to Christmas and the hotel was decorated beautifully. My little girl absolutely loved walking through the lobby and seeing the decorations. Room service/food were excellent. Overall it was a great experience. We will be staying again.

Comfortable 2 night stay with airport shuttle and car rental company on site
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

On a Public Holiday, the restaurant was closed so we ate in the bar, which had sports on TV, and the tables and seating were more suited to lounging with a drink than eating a full meal- seats had high sides restricting elbow room if I recall correctly

easy quick access from airport so a late arrival was not a problem- food on site - bar or restaurant for food as well as drinks ( RESTAURANT CLOSED EARLIER THAN BAR WHICH CONTINUED TO SERVE FOOD). Not as plush as many hotels - lino instead of carpet in public areas / no carpets in bedroom, but this was reflected in the price- excellent value for money. Car hire company on site, so we did not have to travel to pick up our hire car, nor did we have to pay the usual airport premium. Airport shuttle used

It was fine.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Someone set the alarm for 5:30 am!! Number one: who used alarm clocks anymore?!? Number two: who sets an alarm in a hotel room for 5:30am?!??? Number three: why, after unplugging the alarm clock, does it ring again in 30 minutes?!?

Was only in the room to sleep. The bed was comfy

I enjoyed my stay.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wish the person at the front desk, knew the correct time frame for the free breakfast. If the hotel provided a discount for the later scrumptious breakfast/brunch for Genius members, that would be a nice treat.

I enjoyed having the later check out time for Genius members.

Overall - good
    • Executive Queen Room

Colours in room very dark, found that depressing.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant food was very good; Sunday Bunch excellent variety. I liked that the room window opened - fresh air to sleep by.

Big hotel and rooms. The staffs at the reception are nice.... Value for money
    • Executive King Room

The aircon is making a noise. I didn't sleep well. The washroom floor is not clean properly. Also the lady at the lounge is rude and careless.

The room is big. Nice hotel for a reasonsble price.

front desk guy was polite and friendly
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

price was higher and not to offer complimentary breakfast at that price was disappointing internet was quite slow; never seen any hotel with such below average internet more often i have found complimentary (2-3) water bottles in various hotels but there was none here the fridge was not 100% clean

front desk guy was polite and friendly both beds were quite comfortable lighting was excellent temperature control was good even though the hotel is located on a busy road and room was on ground floor, the noise was minimum

Setting was nice, staff was courteous and friendly.
    • Executive King Room

Slow internet, kids couldn't even stream Netflix (4th floor)

Setting was nice, staff was courteous and friendly. Stayed in a king room, was a beautiful non-standard floor plan.

The room is perfect
    • Executive King Room

The front desk staff. As we got in there checking in my guest(with his room booked) he said he doesnt have room for him until o showed him the email.

The room is perfect

It worked for what we were looking for, few days of vacation in the city.
    • Executive King Room

Toilet paper almost ran out, so I had to find the cleaning lady to get an extra one. They kept cleaning our room when we were still in our room. She didn't want to wait for my son to finish using the washroom so she asked to leave the extra towels and toiletries and left. Very minimal cleaning service.

The room we were in had lots of space for all of us. The price was right since it included decent breakfast for all of us.

Comfy, clean and convenient.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Great value for the price. Staff was accommodating and helpful. The rooms were very clean, I liked that the flooring was laminate rather than carpet. Beds were comfy. Parking was plentiful.

Our stay was great I was happy and will return again for our romantic getaway
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

The room service lady when we ordered food was not costumer service friendly I was not happy with that she sounded sarcastic all the time

The room and front desk service was awesome I very much enjoyed it they brought extra towels when asked I was happy

Sad to say but we would think twice about staying here again
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very noisy People walking the floor all night Linen and towels had holes Heard traffic and planes Must be under new management Used to be more clean and the food was much better

The staff were great and beautiful dining room The room was nice

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Although not able to add a rollaway bed, they did bring extra bedding, towels and toiletries when requested. Staff offered directions to local shopping, and gave a late check out when requested.

Convenient to airport and rental car, helpful and friendly staff
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Free shuttle to and from airport was extremely helpful. Renting a car on site from Avis was also extremely convenient. Everyone we interacted with on the staff was excellent.

Good value stop over near to airport
    • Executive Queen Room

Starting to date a little, with a few tired floors and decor. Breakfast is overpriced for what you get.

Halfway between the airport and downtown. Very friendly staff and decent facilities

Excellent Value - On-site Car Rental Convenient and Saved Us Money

Typical airport/urban neighborhood.

The exceptional rating is because of the value and convenience of this place. We flew into Calgary International Airport for a vacation to the National Parks. This was the perfect airport hotel for three reasons: (1) they have a car rental place on site that offers rentals at half the price of the airport rental offices; (2) they have an airport shuttle; and (3) we booked a room for less than $100 US during near peak tourist season. For the price, I was holding my breath hoping that the hotel lived up to its web reviews and photos and it did. This is a very nice hotel with a great staff and facilities. There is a variety of decent restaurants within walking distance (1-5 minutes). Only downside is that it is a typical airport neighborhood in an urban setting. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this place if you are flying into or out of Calgary and just need a place to stay overnight. Bonus: we stayed here the night before our return flight but not our arrival flight; I called the hotel to ask if we could use their free shuttle to get from the airport to the hotel so we could rent a car and they said "no problem," so long as you are staying at least one night. Double bonus: the car rental is right in the hotel and the staff were wonderful.

The room is comfortable and clean.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The reception staff should be more hospitable and friendly. They didn't do anything wrong, however, I will appreciate if they pay more attention to customers, and smile more often.

The room is comfortable and clean. I slept very well. The hotel had free welcome apples at reception, that made me felt good after a long flight. There are many restaurants nearby, a wholesale club store where I could buy fruits and other food at a good price. The bus station to Calgary downtown is near the hotel.

Friendly Staff, Easy Access
    • Executive King Room

It was a little overpriced, which I guess it was because of Stampede. The included breakfast was not that good, for example there was no cheese and boiled eggs.

Friendly and helpful staff. Easy access through highway.

Not recommended for cleanliness or comfort level of the bed. Only recommended for location
    • Standard King Room

There was a drop of urine and a hair on the toilet seat, a wet towel was left hanging on top of shower head, the hotel was not soundproof at all. I woke up to the sound of people talking kn the hallway and footsteps above our room. There was garbage (gum packaging) underneath the bed and the fridge was not working. The bed was too fluffy.

Location was good and staffs were nice

Breakfast was confusing.
    • Standard King Room

Breakfast was confusing. Mentioned it was served starting at 7:00am. But it's a paid breakfast option you can add on to your bill. It's served in the restaurant.

Nice affordable lodging in Calgary
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Free breakfast would have been nice.

We rented a car from Avis in the lobby! Most convenient . Nice car! And no additional step of a rental car shuttle.

Excellent stay
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The person I spoke to over the phone for the restaurant said the chicken & beef noodle dish was excellent...the meat was dry and the dish wasn't worth the money!

Bed was comfy the bathroom was clean

The location of the property;
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I can't think of anything. It was an excellent stay.

The location of the property; they truly were "pet friendly", giving our pet a gift bag on check-in as well as written references to local services for pets and rules for the hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Ok night
    • Executive Queen Room

The tub was plugged with hair- pulled out gob the size of a ground squirrel. The lights didn't work by the bed- flickered, and I found it difficult to regulate the room temperature. There's also few sidewalks in and out of this hotel.

The room was big and clean. The exercise room had lots of options.

wonderful pet hotel
    • Executive Queen Room

It's still cold outside but holy cow it was like walking into a blast oven when we first got into the room. The air conditioner immediately went on, and stayed on all night. A few more shower size towels would have been nice. Our room faced the parking lot, with a parking spot right right outside the window. We kept the (heavy)blinds drawn, for the sake of some privacy.

The bed was excellent. The room was clean. We Had a ground floor room as we had our dog with . We were conviently near one of the exits which was great for taking her out for her mini walks, and other doggy business. We were offered a toy for the dog on the onset, which we declined. For those worried about dogs barking. We were not the only visitors with dogs who were in the hotel the night we stayed. We didn't hear a thing. The staff were super friendly. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Prices were very reasonable

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

I was in the process of checking out on March 15, and when I...
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I was in the process of checking out on March 15, and when I approached the front desk, one of the agents was on a rant about the number of sharpies that was left at the desk. She was extremely unprofessional and there were other clients in the hotel lobby witness this tantrum. The agent that assisted me seemed embarrassed for her, and did his best to help quickly and efficiently. As we, the agent was not wearing any shoes, and this was visible.

Kind staff, the rooms are clean, and the beds are pretty...
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Kind staff, the rooms are clean, and the beds are pretty comfy, I always sleep great when I stay here. I also like the overall look of the rooms especially the wood floors.

Nice older hotel
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I booked online and received a confirmation email, when I phoned the hotel to arrange the airport shuttle they didn't have my reservation. They were able to accommodate us but one of the reasons I chose this hotel was it said breakfast was included. This was not the case. We also would have preferred to arrive at airport sooner but the shuttle was only available every 45 minutes.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Excellent Stay! Loved the visit! Comes Highly Recommended!
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Fans in the workout room and perhaps some cleansing towels! That would be my only suggestion! Great Workout room though! Lots and Lots of equipment!

I loved the Room - It was clean and comfy and roomy! I especially loved the floors- nice not to see carpeted floors! It was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone! We left very very happy! The staff was incredible!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Clean spacious and big fluffy pillows
    • Standard King Room

Staff that checked us in was not friendly at all. She didn't smile ;(

Ladies washroom in convention centre was spacious and clean - no line up with the large crowd

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Mediocre hotel
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wifi didn't work in our room whatsoever. No fan in the bathroom. No hot tub or pool at the hotel. I felt the rate should have been less for these reasons.

The cleanliness and quiteness of our hotel/room

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Vehicle broken into in parking lot, security cameras not working?
    • Standard King Room

Vehicle was broken into along with others in the parking lot. Despite cameras (supposedly fogged up) and a night watchman no evidence of any value was found. Vehicle was parked near front door.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

Good for one night stay.
    • Executive Queen Room

The mattress was very soft, so sleep was interupted every time my husband moved on bed. I am used to more firm no motion transferred kind of bed like Serta.(individual pocket coils). This was definitely not that. And we are small thin people so I can't imagine getting a good night rest if we were heavier! The receptionists at the front were just polite but didn't go out of their way to make you feel welcome. At checkout she didn't ask how was the night.

The price was right; hotel was clean and well maintained. Room was spacious. Quiet location.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Great Place To Stay!
    • Executive Queen Room

Wish they had more staff working the front seat to make check ins and check outs faster. The Employees where working as fast as they could and I understand there where a couple people that where hard to deal with and the staff continued to be patient with them. :)

These beds are the best!! And the rooms are always clean.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Good but you can get better for same money in Calgary
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noisy, there was a rave locally and hotel was very noisy. Right next to noisy lift. No vent in bathroom so very steamy in there! No USB ports to charge phones etc. Which many motels have saves having to buy am adaptor. Staff lovely though and gave us free breakfast due to the noise in the night ⭐️

Big family room

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Wed go again.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We missed having a table to sit at rather than a desk and one chair. They offer REDUCED price on passes for the zoo.

THEY LOVE ANIMALS. Many dogs there.

The bed size, view and over all comfort

The bed size, view and over all comfort

The reception was rode.

The reception was rode.

Bathtub plug broken, bc only one night I didn’t bother to...
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

Bathtub plug broken, bc only one night I didn’t bother to call for fix

Disappointed
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Dirty rooms, floors not vacuumed but mopped the dirt around. Not impressed

Not much

Easy to find the hotel good location we all happy stay this hotel

Steamed shower

Its ok
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

They giving complementary breakfast to only who ever booked from their website.it was not fair

Its ok

Nice and good hotel
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Location and rooms was excellent

Great bed
    • Standard King Room

Black hair and dirt all over bathroom floor 😣

Great bed

Location is excellent
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Air conditions was not good if it get cold get frozen and stop to make could air TV channels were not clear

Location is excellent Friendly staff

The location is super convenient and the food in the...
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The location is super convenient and the food in the restaurant is excellent

Quite, clean and bed comfortable
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The air coming out of AC has a dustu smell, may need cleaning or filter change?

Quite, clean and bed comfortable

Clean, comfy, great experience.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Clean, comfy, great experience.

Good value for money

Everything else

Having accommodations in Calgary for my daughter’s dance competition was great!
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything was fine with our stay no real complaints other than the room is a little dated!

Restaurant service was great!

Awesomel

Wifi was iffy at times

Cleanliness and friendliness

Overall excellent experience
    • Standard King Room

Bed seemed like it was worn out

The room was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Front end staff concerns on check in.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Front end staff concerns on check in. Discussed concerns with Mgnt on check out.

Wonderful
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very satisfied with the overall experience

Staff was excellent
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Rooms run down and not clean!

Staff was excellent

Nice rooms and shower
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

They charged me more than what it said on booking.com

Nice rooms and shower

Staff was very friendly and helpful!
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Staff was very friendly and helpful!!

Convenient location, near airport, restaurants, shopping area
    • Executive Queen Room

Room was very clean, happy that the pub was still serving meals from the main menu at 7 pm, free airport shuttle service is great.

Needs more access to food.
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Needs more access to food.

My stay at the hotel served the purpose for which I needed...
    • Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

My stay at the hotel served the purpose for which I needed the overnight stay.