Reviews of Fairmont Royal York Hotel 4 stars

100 Front Street West, M5J 1E3 Toronto, Canada

#15 of 133 hotels in Toronto

5.7

• Standard King Room

The room. Small and not maintained in the standard one would expect from such a hotel particularly the bathroom

The staff were excellent, warm, friendly and accommodating, they all had smiles on their faces when approached.

• Luxury Double Room

This wasn’t a problem for us but you might want to be aware that because of the age of the hotel, the bathrooms are quite small.

We were able to check in early which was a nice bonus! The location is excellent for theatre visits and close to lots of great restaurants. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The late night room service treats that we ordered were delicious and beautifully presented!

• Luxury Double Room

We were two leisure travellers but seems like we paid top corporate dollar for midweek. Room was smaller than expected and there was no kettle/coffee maker nor any drawers to be able to unpack our bags. Treated ourselves to room service breakfast and called the order in to ensure accuracy. Still was not correct. $100 in taxes on top of the room rate. Elevator buttons are disceptive - can't tell if buttons are pressed or not.

Staff were great, room spotless, beds super comfy

• Standard King Room

I really can’t fault our experience here. Staff were super friendly and extremely helpful.

This had to be the comfiest hotel bed I’ve ever slept in. Couldn’t fault anything with the hotel. It’s in an excellent location downtown for walking and exploring.

• Standard King Room

The Stay was excellent. The Hotel is very close (10 Minute Walking distance) to the Metro Convention Center at CN Tower. Located in the City Center, directly in front of Train Station with perfect Connection to the Airport via Express Train Shuttle.

We were surprised that there was nowhere in the hotel to eat during afternoon and evening other than the main restaurant or an oriental restaurant. Neither of them suited us and we did not wish to eat in our room. Maybe the equivalent of the York breakfast facility?

Great position for access to tourist locations. Staff all welcoming and helpful. Room clean and comfortable.

• Standard King Room

Though the rooms were perfect, the blankets don't breathe well. The room was cold but I was sweating under the sheet. Also could have gotten a better view out the window.

Location is perfect and the decor inside was beautiful. Restaurant set up is great, and the blossom trees are so cute. Awesome shops just at the bottom of the beautiful staircase!

• Standard King Room

Little things that would help.... 1) being asked if any mobility considerations and being placed within closer proximity to elevator without hearing it. 2) pool and steam open until 11:00 with family time ending at 9pm. 3) healthier food options in the library dining. Wanted a share meal and pool time but both hard to do when we arrived at 8:30pm 4) we had a party problem next door and lost valuable sleep time. The security did handle this the second time. Would have been nice if the comp had been initiated by staff instead of our mentioning. 5) I would have gay icon discounts and mentions at point of checking in during festival times. Go the extra mile. 6) guaranteed car security so packages can be left in the car 7) either Free parking or one parking fee package that includes gratuities for everyone. 8) gratuities for housekeeping staff included in room fee and shows in bill and covered at check in. A hassle now to have cash on hand but still wanting to support people. 9) some kind of roof top restaurant. Nice if more like nordstroms and great for lunch or divided into medium and higher end. Health focused dining. 10) once a year, incredible deal, escape to TO package that includes, parking, one breakfast and two nights on a Friday and Saturday for one low package price around $500. Lastly, some kind of loyalty program like optimum at shoppers or aeroplan where we got a large number of points for our first stay toward our next stay.... Give me a reason to come back and choose you. Ask me to fill out a survey for TO events that matter like gay pride or the Inside Out film fest. Build a more personal relationship like the Four Seasons used to do long ago. I miss those days. Appreciate that this landmark hotel is still operating and understand the enormous costs that must be entailed.

Well staffed with everyone friendly, attentive and considerate. Diversity respectful and accommodating. Historical place of interest. Reasonable walk to Eaton's centre.

• Standard King Room

When I booked the room I was directed to trip advisor and wound up paying double the regiular room rate as they told me there were only 4 rooms left. I later discovered that if i dealt directly with the hotel there were lots of rooms available at half the price.My advice to all travelers is to make sure you deal direct with hotel your booking.

The Library & lounge bar are xcellent

• Queen Room

Hotel was excellent in location wise. Staff very friendly and polite. Room was very comfortable and quiet. Although the cleaning could be a little better - lots of dust around on the glass table etc. Cleaners can be very noisy in the corridors. At twice at the Epic restaurant - food was very good and the free coconut macaroons after my meal was the die for! All in all, this hotel was very good and I really did relax and enjoyed my staff. I only used the spa facilities once to relax but it was lovely all round.

• Standard King Room

Staff are very helpful and the room we had was very tidy and clean. The location is excellent. You can easily access to major sightseeing sports by taking public transportation. Breakfast buffet at Epic is good and recommended.

• Queen Room

The only thing I didn’t like was that the bathroom is a little small and the shower pressure was a little weak.

Basically everything was amazing! If we ever had any questions we could text them and they would tell us whatever we needed to know! They even brought up a fridge and microwave for us when we requested it!

• Queen Room

Room was a little small. Bathroom small.

Great location and friendly helpful checkin. Great view of CN tower. Room service was great. Order always correct and very prompt service!

• Queen Room

For a hotel of this category I was expecting a gorgeous room, chocolates on the bed and all the other fancy hotels do. Suite Too too small not fancy enough for the value. Shows tiny door opens awckuardly

The hotel lobby Is beautiful.

Everything was great!

The bed was comfy and the room very clean. I thoroughly enjoyed having a drink at the bar in evenings after sight seeing and shopping all day. The staff during check in, at restaurants and the bar were professional, friendly and helpful.

• Standard King Room

Wine and food prices over the top expensive.

Beautiful, luxurious hotel in a top notch location. Check in staff was very nice. Room was smaller than expected with a very small bathroom but very, very clean and comfortable. We ate at the Benihana restaurant on the lower level. The wine prices were over the top expensive. The sushi was good and tasty but nothing exotic and so relatively pricey for everyday sushi selections.

• Queen Room

Room service slow, Room ran out of hot water for a number of hours, Room washroom door did not close properly, toilet was noisy

Staff pleasant, food very good, location excellent

• Queen Room

Staff wasn't nearly as helpful and pleasant as usual. The parking garage was lined up and backed up traffic all around the hotel for miles around. Staff was flustered and somewhat impatient. Not nearly the level of customer experience we have come to enjoy at the property and the main reason we stay here and pay a little more than neighbouring hotels.

Great location. Beds were comfortable.

• Standard King Room

Some of the guest rooms feel small, given the age of the hotel we were expecting this though

Really comfortable beds and pillows, service is exceptional

• Standard King Room

First room was dirty with a wet floor, second room was better, valet parking was too expensive, should be a fridge in the room

The location, the history of the hotel

• Queen Room

The small room would have more room if the desk were half the size as well the cabinet which House the mini fridge by Mattel is grossly oversized. It would be more modern and provide more leg room.

Excellent staff.

• Signature King

At 9:40 they stopped serving breakfast on a Sunday. And the restaurant was virtually empty. We were told the cafe is open down stairs. No where to sit and the choice was a microwave breakfast sandwich. The cafe was filled with people complaining. I mentioned this to the desk at check out and I was told they would have a manager call me. It’s now a month later and no call.

• Queen Room

The noise on our 1st night. Our room was located just above a hospitality room used by some convention members. Loud music and people partying were heard until 4 am. We were convinced by hotel staff it would not happened again.

The bed was extra comfy. The size and the lay out of our suite were outstanding. The friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the whole establishment are noteworthy.

• Queen Room

Didn't like hearing staff knocking at doors at 8:30 in the morning asking about laundry. We could hear them off and on for about 20 minutes knocking on doors.

Closer to the places I here to be. Excellent staff and clean

Bedroom: there isn’t much drawer/storage space in the room. The safe is too shallow. Communal areas: odd aroma in the Library Bar area at lunchtime.

Very comfortable bed, good decor. Everything worked. Nice clean smell.

• Queen Room

The elevators are not clearly marked for which floors they serve.

The courtesy, friendliness and availability of staff was superior. I will use your facility again.

• Queen Room

The first night there was an event in the hotel and the venue was underneath my room. I was on the second floor. I could hear the music for several hours and when I called to enquirer, because I was tired and had an early meeting, I was told that it would be over by 1am (as though that were a perfectly reasonable time to be kept awake), and offered a noise canceling machine. This is not a satisfactory option. I should have been offered a new room and when I refused that room because I was exhausted unpacked and settled, I should have been compensated for the evening with a free nights stay. The reception knew there was an event, the hotel was far from full, they should have given me a better room to begin with. I am a fan of the fairmont chain and am exciting see the renovations and updates that are happening to the hotel, which is why this was such a disappointment.

The room was nice, bed very comfortable, amenities great! Spa was nice, bar/restaurant was charming, staff were pleasant, gym/pool were great!

Having a room look over nothing but a roof! Paid extra for one of the updated rooms. The check-in was great along with the young lady who was there. The only thing I wasn’t Impressed with was the bathroom was too small and felt a bit claustrophobic. All-in-all it was good.

Loved the bed!

• Queen Room

We couldn't access part of the spa and would have stayed elsewhere if we'd have known in advance. We went to the hotel for the spa facilities!

Nice to stay in a place with real history - great to learn about previous royal guests!

• Signature King

I booked this as a weekend getaway in the city for my boyfriend’s birthday thinking we would enjoy the pool/sauna together and just relax. It was impossible to relax with families with screaming children taking over the pool.

Pool was a bit small. Having to use room key to ride the elevator was a bit of a nuisance but I understand it's about security.

Service was always helpful. Location was excellent.

They should have a quick check out area close to the east elevators.

My boyfriend and I booked the hotel as we were celebrating my birthday weekend. The hotel check in and out was very fast. We had dinner at the Loose Moose which was a 2 minute walk away. The room was clean and big (had the deluxe king room). We recommend people staying there.

• Standard King Room

Can't fault this place! Impeccable start to finish.

Stayed just one night in a lovely warm, comfortable room in this beautiful hotel right in the centre of downtown Toronto. Super comfy bed and room facilities excellent. The hotel itself is stunning with friendly and helpful staff, and location is amazing - right opposite Union Station for my early train, and a stones throw from CN Tower, Rodgers Centre, Eaton Centre Shopping Mall, and everything Toronto has to offer 😊 Ate in the casual 'pub' type restaurant on the basement level, which has good beer & great burgers for weary travellers! Was also great value for money!

• Queen Room

On our second evening we dined In the pub restaurant. Again the staff were efficient courteous and friendly. However, the meal left a lot to be desired. We chose fish and chips and the quality of the fish was only fair, the batter thick and soggy and the fries were inedible...reheated and full of potato 'eyes'. We really should have returned our meal to the kitchen, but after a long busy day,we were just too tired.

We dined in the restaurant on our first evening. The service was excellent,the staff courteous and friendly, whilst the meal itself was superb.

• Luxury Double Room

We there for two fabulous nights. I had my children, 10 and 8 with me. It was fabulous. Beautiful room, pretty view if CN tower. The kids swam everyday. Having restaurants and cafe right on site was very handy for a quick breakfast before we started our day. The bell hop Nel was terrific, wealth of knowledge and information. We can’t wait to come back in the summer! Thank you Fairmont Royal York.

• Queen Room

only thing is a noise from corridors, some group came at around mid night and were shouting in a corridors for quite some time.if the room doors were noise proof, that would help a lot. room did not have mini fridge, only firdge for mini bar, so i had nowhere to put my take out from restaurant.

hotel is great, location and property amazing. had a dinner in epic restaurant, loved it. library bar was nice too, but quite loud. room is comfortableand relaxing.

• Standard King Room

Nothing really, however the bathroom was a little small. There was no bathtub but the shower was nice and big.

The staff and the hotel were excellent! They were very helpful and accommodating during our stay. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location was excellent because you could walk to the Roger's Centre and Maple Leaf Gardens as well as shopping areas such as the Eaton's Centre. Union Station was across the street if you wanted to use the train or the subway.

• Queen Room

It was the little touches that made the stay extra fancy such as the robes and slippers in the room and the lemon water by the pool. Our check-in time was 4 but they let us in the room at 2. Also, most reasonably priced mini-bar I've ever seen. Still expensive, but the drinks were priced just as a bar would have been and not more. I would highly recommend staying here and will definitely be back.

• Standard King Room

in my personal opinion the room is not that cozy, does not smell fresh, and the air condition is not excellent.

i like the food that was served at the room.

Pool area was extremely crowded and not nearly as clean as the rest of the hotel (which was reasonable, given the amount of traffic), but still, not a pleasant place to relax and enjoy. Room was also small.

Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Staff were quite friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. Rooms and hallways were quiet.

• Queen Room

When my husband and I checked in, the staff at the registration desk greeted me as I was the person who booked the reservation. They proceeded to speak with ME about the room however, failed to greet and speak with my husband as well. He felt invisible!!

Convenience.

• Standard King Room

The Library Bar is smashing! Mike and Rene were particularly impressive in creating a welcoming atmosphere with excellent tourist advice. The Fairmount is a superb hotel. Stay here if you can.

We got our room 40 minutes late... were given a dated, worn, smelly washroom. The room's temperature control was a nightmare. We were asked to pay more to get a renovated suite or to have to drop to a smaller sized room. Had a better room at super 8 motel for lower cost.

• Standard King Room

Parking is expensive and difficult to navigate

Beautiful, recently renovated room with a view of the lake.Very comfortable bed . The lobby was spectacular, decorated with thousands of tulips for Easter. It is a little more expensive than where we generally stay but worth every penny.

Size and quantity of coffee cups - we were 4 people only two mugs - Mugs were too small for the coffee machine - made a mess and other two guest had to use water glasses which were also too small. Such a little thing... easy fix

Beds and pillows were amazing and had the best night sleep. I would book again just for that reason. Front Desk was over the top with kindness and even followed up later the next day by text to see if we needed help while we were exploring the city. Almost like our own tour guide. Excellent customer service - the best I have experienced. The bell desk was also very helpful to secure our bags for a time when we went on our adventure. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

• Standard King Room

Older rooms. No bueno. Make sure to get a newer room.

Got to be upgraded to a new renovated room which was amazing. And due to circumstances they gave us a free breakfast card.

I have zero complaints.

Fairmont Royal York was the best hotel my wife and I have stayed at so far. The service was excellent the room was very luxurious and super clean the staff were beyond helpful and courteous. The room service was amazing. Well worth the money I highly recommend this hotel.

Extremely courteous staff and very accommodating. My daughter and I are vegan and I inquired as to options. They were almost excited to help me in this matter. Much appreciated.

Room was by the elevator. This was explained to me but at check in but stay way if offered. I thought nothing of it until 6am when it was non stop noise.

The breakfast was great. Didn't do the buffet, ordered the western off the menu.

There are many elevators but they all seemed a little slow. It's a large hotel however,and it gave us more time to appreciate it's beauty while waiting

The hotel was magnificent. Luxuriously updated While still maintain its historic and opulent charm. The room was beautiful and the staff very friendly and always helpful

• Queen Room

Very little could have been better. I suppose if I had to pick something, the bathroom could have been a bit larger, but it really wasn't a big deal.

The bed and pillows were the best in any Hotel that I've been to. The lobby and photo gallery are incredible. Staff was very accommodating. Location is perfect, right next to the Union Station and the Air Canada Centre. Would definitely stay here again.

The Bed was no a cloud I felt as if I may roll right off the side. The bathroom is so small the sandpaper rolls oops I mean tissue rolls are under the counter snug up to you. For such a HIGH END Hotel I'd not expect to see cobwebs above the elevator doors. With no vending machine in the building I'd expect to at least have a complimentary bottle water to make tea/coffee or for tooth brushing.

The location.

• Standard King Room

We got charged drinks on our bill that were from the people who stayed the night before. Also, the Piper pub inside seemed a little unorganized at the time. Our nachos we ordered, had cheese on it that wasn’t even melted. When we asked for the bill, we had to wait about another 15 minutes. Usually a pub, in my opinion, is a little quicker since the food was rushed and not even cooked properly.

Excellent location. Staff was fantastic, that included check in through room service. Polite and professional.

• Queen Room

The chemicals in the hot tub were harsh. It was stinging our eyes just sitting in the hottub.

Nicely decorated, clean room. It's a beautiful hotel. Very comfortable bed! We liked the card access for the elevator and room access, nice job of keeping up to date.

• Standard King Room

I love staying at the Royal York. The beds are very comfortable, staff are great, location is the best and the restaurants serve delicious food. Will be back

• Luxury Double Room

There were some guests partying until very early in the morning. It did disturb our sleep.

The staff was amazing, helpful, happy, polite. I'm sure they communicate with people from all walks of life and it seems they treat each person equally.

• Queen Room

Prices in the restaurants are not reasonable.

The location is excellent. It is within walking distance to all downtown facilities. Only a 15 minute walk to the Eaton Centre, 5 minutes from St. Lawrence Market, and everything in between. My room was upgraded free of charge. I was given internet access for free.

The accessibility to all major sites we were interested in visiting was definitely a plus. Every hotel staff employee we encountered were very polite and helpful!

• Queen Room

We were celebrating my nieces birthday with our family in Toronto. We booked the room online as it was a special discounted price. While the room was small we had everything we needed. The room was so quiet, I had a wonderful sleep. I loved the bed and pillows, very comfy. I misplaced my coat somewhere in the hotel and the staff found it for me. We enjoyed drinks in the lounge/bar and the waitstaff were excellent! Thank you for our enjoyable stay.

So conveniently located over the underground Path of stores that reaches to almost everywhere in the District. You don’t have to go outside hardly ever if it’s cold out! The bed and sheets were really comfy and the shower was great!

• Luxury Double Room

No slippers, only one robe, kept getting breakfast orders mixed up, booked us as 3 adults, child cot was very uncomfortable - felt wirey, couldn’t help us switch our booking to the discount through Venngo with our professional association.

Location is amazing. Great cleanliness. Wonderful friendly staff. Excellent beds.

Free WiFi?

Great location, Exceptional service, staff is great, room was well appointed, very clean, quiet, beds were very comfortable and excellent pool. Paid internet. Valet parking. Lots of other paid parking in the area. Walk to Air Canada centre, HHOF, Riplet's, Eaton Centre and lots of restaurants.

Not having free wifi in the room,

This hotel is both elegant and historical and modern, with all the amenities. It is ideally located to the hub of Union Station and so many accessible activities. A stay at the Royal York is very much an experience within itself.

• Standard King Room

The elevator security kept dumping our floor selection, so we had a difficult time getting to the floor we wanted sometime. There older elevators and I didn’t feel very comfortable in them.

The room was not very big but comfortable for the two of us. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great.

• Queen Room

The washroom was the smallest I've ever seen. Every entrance was flooded with smokers, my clothes stink just from walking past. At least minimalize it to one entrance. Room was super small. And the house keeping closest was right next door and they started opening and slaming the door at 6am. RIDICULOUS! 350$ gets you a view of a roof and a prison washroom.

Location to the ACC

• Standard King Room

I felt the bathrooms were a bit tight.

The location in downtown Toronto was perfrct for exploring. I also loved the decore of the lobby. Feels old like old Hollywood, very glamorous.

• Queen Room

With this being an historic site, the rooms are slightly small, but the appointments and design have more than made up for that with luxury and comfort being of obvious importance.

• Business King Room – Exclusive access to Gold Floor Lounge

Lobby is very busy - we weren’t aware at time of check in we could use the check in desk on the 12th floor. Saying this, the staff at the main check in were lovely and very efficient.

We paid for access to the Fairmont Gold Lounge which was excellent.

The bedroom was ok and the bathroom was outdated. Also there was a door connected from our room to the one next door so we could hear everything and got woken up by their phone ringing. Also I found the mornings to be very noisy, the cleaning staff mostly.

The staff were excellent and very accommodating.

It is a fairly basic hotel, all the facilites are located by the hotel but not associated with the hotel.

Located across from Union station and Up the street from the CN tower.

• Luxury Double Room

Electronic bar fridge Placed a bottle of water in fridge to cool Removed a bottle of wine and was automatically charged for it

Greeted upon arrival back by door man with enthusiastic “Welcome back’

• Standard King Room

Everyone is nice, knows your name and three concierge gives excellent recommendations for restaurants and things to do. The restaurants are excellent!

• Queen Room

my hotel was suppose to have a tub and they weren’t prepared because my room wasn’t even ready although I did check in two hours late at 6. I guess they gave us a different room because it had a shower and not a tub .

• Queen Room

I made a special order for a surprise for my husband which was to be in our room upon arrival and it was not there. Luckily the concierge made sure it was in the room when we came back from dinner. Sort of lost the effect I was going for though. Mattress could be updated, it was quite soft and saggy.

Concierge was very helpful and fixed the problem. Offered very good advice for dinner choices. Housekeeping staff in the hallway was very pleasant and welcoming.

• Business King Room – Exclusive access to Gold Floor Lounge

I became ill and had to extend my stay by two nights. The staff were amazing; brought me "chicken broth" and crackers to my room and made sure I had everything I needed. The staff on the Gold Floor certainly go over and beyond to accommodate your needs.

Browse Fairmont Royal York Hotel traveller photo gallery