Reviews of Studio 6 Downtown Toronto 2 stars

165 Grange Avenue, M5T 2V5 Toronto, Canada

#132 of 194 Holiday rentals in Toronto

Based on 1950 hotel reviews

• Queen Studio

Maintenance of basic (& inexpensive) renovations appears to be an ongoing challenge. Ventilation system is dated. Cooking odours are intrusive, but tolerable if bathroom door is closed. Window cannot be opened for fresh air.

Location, value, & friendly, approachable staff. Housekeeping staff are cheerful & efficient. Plumbing is reliable & water pressure is great. Our requests (luggage support, towels, dish washing supplies) were addressed promptly & professionally.

• Queen Studio

The cable TV didn’t work.

The property is on a residential block near Chinatown. It’s not the nicest area but it’s close to downtown and much cheaper than the downtown hotels.

• Queen Studio

The room was smaller than we were led to believe in photos. We had to share one bed even though I specified we were two people. The room was old, curtains dirty and air conditioning rusty. There were spiders.

Was clean enough. Hot shower. Good location.

• Twin Studio

I am not from the area and I did not feel comfortable getting out of my car in the back of the hotel and walking to the front late at night. I feel like this hotel could definitely step up their aesthetic game. Once I was settled in my room, I felt so comfortable and relieved with my choice of hotel.

I LOVE the rooms. The pots and pans, the plates, the utensils, its all amazing. The rooms are so accommodating to a weekend stay and helps an individual's budget by providing all the cooking necessities. The rate is great and the actual hotel room itself super comfortable and nice.

• Twin Studio

The overall first impression of the property when you pull in makes you wonder if you want to stay. The office is not impressive we had a hard time working out where to check in there is a small hand written sign outside which we missed as it looked like the garbage room. The Elivator smelt like greasy food. Our door wasn’t locked when we got to it and we couldn’t dead bolt the door once in the room.. The room was nice. Much smaller than expected as the pictures made it look much bigger. It was clean, compact, shower pressure was amazing, bed comfortable. Location was perfect for our trip.

The beds were comfortable.

• Twin Studio

I was not able to lock the door of my room, so I was not comfortable to leave any value stuff on it. I brought my laptop with me to go out for dinner. Asked to front to change the room, they were insisting to have it fixed. Someone came to fixed, but still was able to open the door after looking it. Was not secure at all.

Comfortable Bed

• Queen Studio

Elevator was scary..smells in the hallways were weird..

Kitchenette was an added bonus, felt like an apartment/condo not a hotel, super comfortable.

• Queen Studio

cleanliness , repair , front desk staff knowledge, location, noise. weren't expecting much - good price, but really bad. ended up being charged twice -and then had to back to the hotel the following day to have it rectified as the required the card holder to present the card.

Price

• Queen Studio

First room we had was terrible and we were very very rudely moved by the cleaner. When I raised concerns with the man on the front desk his response was nothing other than ‘we can check you out?’ Instead of resolving the issues. The bed was broken, mattress had a huge dip in it and was not useable, the room was dirty over all and the appliances for the kitchen were dirty. Not to mention parts of the tv bracket were on the floor and the stairwell that smells like urine. We were moved rooms after the front desk staff told us to checkout rather than offer to fix our issues. Having finally made the gentleman realise that the issues should be fixed rather than just booting us out, we were moved by the extremely rude cleaner who refused to acknowledge the issues with the room. Under the bed was disgusting with hair and dust everywhere and the kitchen appliances were absolutely vile in parts, the good parts were still dirty, only the fridge was clean. The second room was better in comparison, but no where near good. It was better until we started having swarms of ants crawling up out of the floor and going all over the room and our possessions, absolutely appalled by this and this is the main reason the desk colleague refunded us our last night. There was construction work going on that we had no information on, no one told us that was going on, until we travelled half way around the world and arrived there. The second room still had massive issues with cleanliness, under the bed and the appliences were all the same as the last, dirty. Appliances; the tv was fine, and the heating and fridge were okay, the drinks machine in the room was disgusting also, the toaster was pathetic and so gross and full of muck and the microwave was dirty, the shower was weak and the head for the shower was about 5ft high, and the sink in the second room was hanging off the wall.. The whole visit was very very unwelcoming and the staff were terrible.

Nothing other than the lovely young guy on front desk on the last day. Everything else was awful.

Did not feel safe

The room was run down and needs to be updated. The room had a very stale smell and their were two men outside the hotel arguing and doing drugs. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Queen Studio

The reception looks like an old office. There is no social stricture at all.

The hotel is simple, in a quite old building, but the rooms seems renovated. The bed was fine, and the room has many solutions to travelers. The receptionist were helpful.

• Queen Studio

Office was unattended at mid-day. Had to wait 10-15 minutes for someone to show up, even though maintenance person knew that two guests were waiting. Parking was not very secure and should not have cost extra. Neighborhood is pretty run-down, so would not recommend for anyone who does not look confident when walking alone.

Room was fully equipped but cramped. Location is walkable to major attractions.

• Twin Studio

The reception area which is your 1st impression needs to have the carpet replaced - it just looked very old and tired and set the tone for other expectations. However once you got into the room, you were fine! The staff were extremely helpful and as a result the overall experience was good.

The actual rooms were great

• Queen Studio

A warmer blanket please! Me and my partner were barely both covered and we were both quite chilly. Also, I was expecting a free small tooth paste but you didn't provide one :(

The free coffee!

• Queen Studio

The walls were very thin. People were having mad sex down the hall when I arrived and the entrance to the building smelled like an old ashtray. People were arguing late at night in the halls and it was not a pleasant atmosphere.

• Queen Studio

The floor of the apartment had two problems. First, it was filthy with fine dust. Not obviously so, but a piece of white toilet paper rubbed on the floor came up black. Second, the floor itself was in pretty bad shape; the wooden panels had buckled and shifted.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The apartments had a small stovetop, microwave, refrigerator, and all utensils necessary to eat in. One block to restaurants in Chinatown and on Queen's Street.

• Queen Studio

Updated but seems like it wasn't professionally done. Hole above A/C unit went directly outside. Water damage on the wall and baseboards falling off. Bath towel was stained. Keurig Machine had to be rinsed out many times before we could use it.

Great location; walking distance from Nathan Philips Square. Clean for the most part, kitchenette, parking was good for our full sized pick up. Our room was not in the best state of repair, however, they gave us one night free due to that disappointment.

• Queen Studio

I only was able to have one facecloth the whole 7 days.. they’re really short on towels .. also the wifi was down for over 48 hrs which was an inconvenience because I needed to work on computer while I was away so I lost out on 2 days of work but front desk did try very hard to get it back and working , I think it was something on the internet companies end .

Front desk staff very friendly, close by to everythingi wanted to see and do downtown. I liked the fact that there is a kitchenette in the room . Upon arrival one of front desk staff leant me an old charger which I very much appreciated since I left mine back in Halifax. The area is very unique and as a solo traveler I felt very safe. I will be back :)

• Queen Studio

Hotel Personal pounding on my door at 11 pm telling me to get out of my room!!!!! Complained and got no satisfaction from Manager. The location is in a very sketchy area. I had to take taxis back to my room from hospital at night, extra cost not anticipated, Chose this place because close to hospital. 5 minute walk

Room was clean and comfortable

• Queen Studio

Bad smell everywhere, TV was not working, no facilities at all, building very old,elevator very bad, reciption very small.

Price , location , free wife , staff

• Queen Studio

Out of 3 day 2 days internet (WiFi ) was not working & it’s very important for the visitors like us to communicate & todo day today activity,other than this I am ok with facility & generosity

• Queen Studio

Neighbourhood is a bit run down, but never felt unsafe even late at night.

Location, value. Excellent shower temperature and pressure. Walking distance to Kensington and Chinatown. "La Palette" french restaurant on Queen street west, 3 block walk!

• Queen Studio

The internet barely worked and when we went out for a few hours and put up the “please make up room sign” it did not get cleaned. Wasn’t happy.

The nice staff.

• Queen Studio

We've stayed here many times but there are maintenance issues that need to be addressed. The windows are old and don't lock. As well, the screen was torn away from the edges and the windows need to be washed. The kitchen sink handle fell off in my hands and the towel rack in the bathroom was falling off.

The location is wonderful. The bed and pillows are comfortable. Each room has a kitchen which would be great if we were staying longer and didn't want to go out for all of our meals. As well, the is a Keurig machine in each room complete with 2 k-cups and sugar.

• Queen Studio

There was an air conditioner that was not insulated from the outside, so there was always direct sounds from outside and birds that would try to live in it from the morning on. Otherwise all good.

Easy walking to work and other spots.

• Queen Studio

Awful entrance made a terrible first impression and I was close to cancelling. Housekeeping staff banged on door and entered the room despite the Do Not Disturb sign and being before checkout time - really unacceptable.

Excellent location within Toronto, reception staff good and the room clean and practical.

• Queen Studio

Scruffy reception area & hallway. Mediocre reception. Room was tiny. No cups, no creamers, no sugar, or sweetners for coffee makers. Very few towels three lumpy tiny uncomfortable pillows, unfriendly environment. Night time receptionist more interested in reading her book than offering us friendly service

The bed was comfortable. Nothing else met expectations

• Queen Studio

Location near Kensington Market and Chinatown is excellent. It was nice having fridge and stove -- we actually used them one morning to cook breakfast.

• Queen Studio

Crammed space. Excessive hallway noise. Thermostat issue left room freezing. Space heater took 2 hours to heat the room.

Bed was comfortable. Allowed late check out, even though they didn’t communicate it with the cleaning staff.

• Twin Studio

The beds are comfortable and clean. Due to hotel being off the beaten track it is quiet for sleeping. I like the equipped Kitchenette, as the cost of eating out is expensive in Toronto. Hotel is located 4 blocks away from a grocery store. Also the fridge allows me to keep drinks cold and not get dehydrated while I am staying.

• Queen Studio

It looks like they started to renovate - room furniture, kitchenette and bathrooms are nice - but the lobby and elevator leave a lot to be desired. And the windows! The wind whistled right through them and at one point I thought the screen was going to blow off.

The rooms are fine - the kitchenette is perfect.

• Queen Studio

The room we were first booked into was very dirty. Garbage on the ground, bed wasn't made. We got moved to a different room, but the dishes (cups, bowls) were still unclean.

It was near all the attractions that I wanted to do; CN tower, Ripley's Aquarium, etc. The staff was polite and understanding. Good customer service. It was also really cheap.

• Queen Studio

It could be a little bit cleaner. I could feel the wind thru the window.

Perfect location, affordable price. If someone needs a luxury he won't find it here but for people that need just a place to sleep it's perfect. Kitchen with some basic equipment, very comfortable mattress.

• Queen Studio

No heating was freezing, very run down on outside, building was not very secure, signs about marijuana use in the building?? Overall I feel like it was overpriced for what I got.

• Queen Studio

I stayed at the hotel during the winter and for me and my boyfriend the heater was not enough, we had to ask for extra blankets. I had problems with people smoking in the room in front of mine, although that was not allowed. I warned the reception on my first night at the hotel, but I continued to the end of the stay with the same problem.

The hotel location is very good. Easy to walk to places like the Eaton Centre and Kesington Market. There are many options for restaurants, cafes, drugstores, supermarkets near the hotel.

• Queen Studio

I think a better scrub of the kitchen counter and floor could have been more clean, but still felt ok about it. There was a strong wind which I could feel the cold through the window in to the room.

The hotel provided all that I needed especially at such a good price, good amenities. The bed and the bathroom were clean.

• Queen Studio

The street in front of the hotel is slightly shady at night. Also, some towels had stains on them.

The room was clean and cozy and the kitchen appliances were very convenient. It was also well situated and close to attractions.

• Queen Studio

The dirt on the walls and tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. The photos showed an updated unit which it appears to be but the kitchen cabinets are starting to fall apart, Hallways and elevators old old old, the windows were old and bird that was nesting in the air conditioning unit woke up at 6 am, and woke me as well.

The bed was comfy, heated floors were nice. The room looked very updated in photos and resembled photos. Front staff was very pleasant.

• Queen Studio

hotel was old and sketchy, room and bed was smaller than advertised. Housekeeping came to the door mutiple times before check out. Foul smell throughout whole hotel

• Queen Studio

Not all the electricity plugs worked in my room. Pictures slightly overstate the look and feel of the rooms. Again, as long as you’re aware that Studio 6 is actually more of a motel (which we weren’t aware of when making our booking) then it’s okay.

This place okay to stay at, as long as you’re aware that Studio 6 is actually a motel, rather than a set of studio apartments. It’s in an area that’s close to many trendy shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. It’s out of the city, but in an area that isn’t short of fun things to do.

• Queen Studio

Dirty sheets and towels, even though we got the new ones are dirty with long hair attached, I think they should consider to change the washing company. The overall feeling is very clean, but when you look closely, you will find dirty everywhere: the sheets have hair and stains, there are hair on the towels(every single one), the air conditioning are spider webs around, the cabinets are with oil stains ... ... In addition, the whole building is with the smell of weed, and the sound insulation of the room is not good too.

Nice studio set-up; Good location; Friendly stuffs; Adequate heating.

• Queen Studio

The street in front of the hotel is very empty, but you can go walking to the main streets, where you will find many options of restaurants. We found the room very clean, but They did not clean our room in the second day.

It is a beautiful and very comfortable room, and really well equipped. You have everything there: pans, plates, etc. You can go walking to many attractions and restaurants.

• Twin Studio

Room and bed small. Exterior of room dirty eg window.

Staff is very accommodating with requests. Best service ever. Love the kitchen area to prepare your own meals. Location ideal. Room, although small has everything and more that you would get from other popular hotels.

• Queen Studio

Dirty ! Loud! Smell of the weed goes around the building inside and out... The neighborhoud it’s pretty bad.... Dirty and tired room... Sink disataching from the wall Taps broken With massive fly in a room...

20 min to city centre

• Twin Studio

I would prefer is the place itself is brighter lit as it was difficult to find when I arrived in the night.

I like that it has a kitchenette and the room is spacious.

• Queen Studio

There is no lobby in the hotel, you therefore have nowhere to have a rest at ground floor. There is not any big grocery store nearby.

It is very close to downtown and Uni of Toronto. There is a KFC nearby if you would like to have some fried chicken. Studio is very convenient since you can cook there.

• Queen Studio

I liked the fact they have a kitchenette which was really nice. It was very easy to find and also since it's in Chinatown. There were many restaurants which is an additional point.

• Queen Studio

Since is right in front of a big avenue, if you are a light sleeper, do not recommend for this place.

5min walk from subway station, response rate was fast, house was always warm (i went on winter), wifi works great, and the space was big.

• Queen Studio

noise!! Too much people yelling late of night!!!

staff - 7,00 cleanliness - 8,00 breakfast - 7,00 - just coffee noise - 0,00 - too much!!! the there is no walls, just papers separe each room. Many people late of night yelling, crazy hotel! location - 8,00

• Twin Studio

Peeling paint, makeup still on “clean” towels, seemingly lost reservations- good thing I took a screenshot of the itinerary, price was different than what I booked for, oh and the hotel despite being close to Queen st, is still very nestled in a half vacated low income housing project.

• Twin Studio

The reception lady rejected my travel wifi package (which I notified them will arrive a day ahead of my arrival), which caused me not to have wifi access for a week of my trip.

The hotel was fairly cheap

• Queen Studio

I made a request through booking for late check out at 9 pm...i recived another booking email saying its approved and upon speaking to receptionist he sayed it must be a mistake and checkout is at 11 am!!!..i had an exam from 7:30 till 5 and had to take all my luggage with me to the exam..secondly the room was very hot i had to turn on AC AKA tractor trailer so i closed it and had to open the window in -5 to be able to sleep as it felt like a hot summer time in the room....thirdly the fidge is loud....the microwave was not clean....smell of weed filled the elevator at friday night(my check in time)..other than that everything else was fine.

The place is close to down town toronto.

• Queen Studio

Overall, the hotel was fine and certainly value for money It would have been handy to have some dish washing liquid It would have been handy to have some light above the table

This "condohotel" is located in the middle of a residential area but at a walk-able distance to downtown Toronto (Eaton center, Nathan Philips Square), around the corner from Chinatown and minutes from Streetcar stops. It is close to a grocery store. I usually stay in better quoted booking.com hotels but chose Studio 6 this time because I had to stay in Toronto for over a month within an acceptable budget. The entrance and elevator seemed basic but were clean. The room itself was small but bright (pictures on booking shows it like it is) and fresh with a nice size TV. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Internet is working very well (no interruptions, very good reception for skype). As I had to work during my stay, it would have been useful to have a light above the table. There are enough closets to store clothes and laundry facility/iron are convenient and working well. The kitchen/cooking facilities are very convenient. The kitchen is well equipped with two ring hop, microwave, toaster and coffee set (2 coffee pads/day are furnished). Everything was working. The refrigerator is noisy. It would have been interesting to have a little sample of dish washing liquid. The bathroom is small, but well furnished (soap, shower gel, hair dryer) and clean. The heat is adjustable and perfectly functional to survive winter cold. I had little contact with staff but they were very pleasant and helpful. There is mild noise from the street/city etc. but it was much less than what I experienced in hotels in downtown Toronto. One weekend we also had some very noisy neighbors (couple fighting in the hall) but staff was quick to ask them to calm down. To summarize, this condo-hotel is very convenient for longer stays as it is well located and has a good mixture of a furnished condo and hotel facilities. This hotel is not a 5*, nevertheless, it exceeded my expectations. I felt “home” and had a nice experience.

• Queen Studio

Staff were friendly, room was basic but perfect for what we needed it for. Hotel is situated just a way from the main strip through the city so it’s close enough to walk yet far enough not to disturb sleep at night from the hustle and bustle. Bed was comfy and the room was clean and had a bath, shower, iron and hairdryer. Location was great, not too far from anything and a $15 taxi ride from union station. Will definitely be back in the future, we loved it here!

• Twin Studio

When we arrived, the staff told us that our reservation hadn't been made even though we booked over a month in advance. We felt lucky that they could accommodate us. Yet, the toilet didn't flush in the room they gave us. Luckily we only stayed one night.

Kitchenette is a great feature especially if staying for longer periods of time. We did not utilize it for our one night stay.

• Queen Studio

Entrance, it feels like you are walking into an apt building. Service was good but it feels a little sketchy going in

An interesting place to stay, in a re-purposed apt. building in an area with a lot of older housing projects. Very basic but centrally located, clean and fine for a night. I'm glad there is no carpet and the windows open. Good value for budget accommodations in a city that has become ridiculously overpriced and has both a hotel and a housing shortage.

• Queen Studio

No operating cable tv. Amenities were lacking a little. Entrance way was outdated.

Nice and clean room, small space but had essentials. Great location.

• Queen Studio

The check-in procedure was painfully slow. The staff was friendly but extremely slow. Telephone was not working but okay after switching rooms.

Location was good

• Queen Studio

Parking lot is in the back of the hotel and has a small access to the hotel front door with steps. It was difficult to get my luggage inside the hotel. We were welcomed by very strong weed smell in the reception, but not sure about the source ( not blaming the staff ). I’d recommend this hotel despite these small issues.

The place is newly renovated. New appliances and modren design. Friendly staff and great value for money.

No breakfast.

I was able to bring my two Chihuahuas at an additional rate of $10 per pet. Don't allow the front entrance or the appearance of the outside structure to deter you until you see the room. The structure itself was once a residential building, so it looks as such. Nevertheless, the rooms are well renovated with modern decor, brand new kitchenette, equipped with dishes, and utensils, plus a kierig coffee machine. This adds a contemporary vibe in a relatively older building. I stayed in room 504. The bed was comfy, room was quiet, clean and the front desk was friendly and helpful. For a downtown hotel it's not bad for $100. Nevertheless, next time I will pay the extra few dollars at a luxery hotel, with continental breakfast and a pool. If they lowered their prices to match their services to roughly $80-$85 I would visit again. For you travellers looking for extended stay, they offer that as well.

• Queen Studio

I felt uncomfortable during the walk from downtown to the hotel.

The bed was extra comfy. The TV screen was clear. The kitchen facilities were excellent.

• Queen Studio

The reception area left a lot to be desired. Not a good first impression which was a shame since the room was good.

The room was great...the price very good. Fairly close to downtown area. Can walk but the taxi ride is a better option...only $12 to downtown.

• Queen Studio

you can hear everything in the hallway so I guess they could hear everything in the room too ? not a problem for us, but you surely can't be too loud at night...

the bed was really confortable, we were able to open the windows, the room was super clean, enough of everything in the bathroom. room was perfectly sized for 2 persons! the mini kitchen was super clean too! there was a parking too, really nice plus for the hotel

• Twin Studio

The first room I was could not have been cleaned thoroughly. There was an old coffee capsule in the coffee machine, a partially empty glass of soft drink in the fridge, the first bed I opened seemed to have been slept in, the bathroom and room were far from looking cleaned up. Also, the wifi did not work properly, I was unable to connect to the internet through it and had to use my phone connection for that purpose. Also the night clerk changed me for another room, it was very noisy early in the morning. Good thing I am an early riser and had to leave early.

The Staff was very helpful within his capabilities an acted to the best he could re the problems I encountered.

• Queen Studio

The dishes provided for us in the room in the kitchen part were dirty and put away in the cupboard.

We went to my appointment and left a few things in our room, such as our sushi we had ordered the night before and left in the fridge for safe keeping. The maid helped herself to it and offered us what remained that she had eating. I will say the Manager did reimburse us for it but it did put a bad taste in our mouth that this would happen.

• Twin Studio

Very uncomfortable beds, they should change the mattress. The fridge was very loud, and kitchen plugs didn't work. WiFi had tendencies to drop connections and was quite bad quality.

Clean place, within comfortable walking distance to public transport. There was no problem with getting extra blankets when it gets cold, and on next day even the heating in the room was fixed so they were not needed anymore.

• Twin Studio

Room had a smell with lots of mild on the wall of the bathroom bed broken when I told the front desk I'm not staying he started to talk in a rude way

• Queen Studio

Compared to a lot of other places in Toronto we picked this one as it was a bit cheaper. The rooms were always cleaned, everyday can’t fault the cleanliness. The only problem was the pillows and bed were a bit hard but it didn’t impact on the stay. It’s also in a good location, about a 15minute walk to the CN tower but it’s just as easy to get an Uber which would cost around $10. If you walk just down onto the main intersection then there are loads of shops, a few restaurants and bars. Would definitely go back here when I return.

• Queen Studio

The faucet in the bath didnt work in the first room. Then, the staff changed the room for us. However, heating did not work in the second room, unfortunately.

The place was clean as it is shown in the pictures.

• Twin Studio

Needs a facelift. Walls were dirty and needed painting. Bathroom door didn't fit and cupboard doors stick. Not a very comfortable space, not one you would want to spend any time in.

The location was good. I liked that we had the freedom to change our reservation so easily. Parking was accessable and cheap.

The beds (single) I would 've liked a double bed

kitchen facilities, the location, how quiet the area was, I felt safe in the parking lot and lobby

• Queen Studio

The neighbourhood is a little scary at night, but we had no problems. The room was non-smoking, but we could smell smoke, perhaps from other rooms.

The room was clean, and there was an elevator, so we didn't have to drag bags upstairs. It is an older facility but clearly has been remodelled and was fairly comfortable for one night. There were a lot of Asian restaurants convenient to the hotel. The AGO was within walking distance.

• Twin Studio

The WiFi was patchy, overall it could do with a freshen up. The entrance was really run down. No sign on street to show hotel name. Very noisy in the room with the refrigerator and also the walls are very thin, you can hear everything. YES EVERTHING.

The location was pretty ok

• Queen Studio

They made a mistake in my reservation. Put 2 nights instead of 3 which made me pay more and the fact that they don't offer breakfast.

Closeness to chinatown