Reviews of Hotel & Suites Place des Arts 2 stars

5.7

4.8

6.2

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

I didn’t like this stay at all. It was a legit crack house. I had drug dealers knocking on my door at all hours of the night, as well as the police. They even put a sign on my door saying “don’t knock on door, tourist want to sleep”. It was very uncomfortable and I didn’t get a nights sleep because I was scared of my safety. This “hotel” needs to be taken off booking.com for everyone’s safety. Upon exiting I almost stood on a needle as well. Not happy!

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

The place is very poor condition and smelly. It’s not like hotel at all and everything is broken. The bed sheets are stained and holes. The place is so poor and noisy . Whole night I could not sleep because so stinking and smelly. It was ruining my vacation on Montréal. I would not recommend this place to anyone. It’s terrible. The photos in Booking.com are so different compared the actual place

The long stair climb LOL

Very accommodating, the parking onsite included was great. You get what you pay for though ... its clean and spacious which is the main thing. conveniently located to everything

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

The office is a complete pig sty. Like I’m talking it looks like an old deserted hoarders office. I didn’t go inside at all. We go to the room (I have a very young child) and it’s cute but you can tell it’s an extremely old building. No elevators by the way it’s all stairs. The tv has maybe 5 channels. The floors look filthy - I think it’s a mix of dirt and just them being old floors. The bed, the mattress is covered in plastic or something you can hear it every move you make. Duct tape all around the edges of the mattress. All the fabrics and bedding were damp from humidity she really needs to dehumidify the place. My son went to go get on a chair, the top part you sit on came off in his hands. It’s completely unattached my son could have broken his neck. The wifi is absolutely terrible. The stairs outside the room are very loud. And there’s obvious pimps and their girls working there which I would have expected had I of known how low scale the place was but it looked semi cute and proper in the photos. Usually would brush it off but I had my son there. The lady was very sweet and was very helpful but unless you are picking between sleeping on the side of the road or this place, pick somewhere else. My son woke up the morning after just throwing up everywhere and he wasn’t sick so I’m not sure if it was the hotel or just a coincidental bug.

The lady that owns the place is extra nice. Easy booking and good location. A cheap place to stay. Cute-ish room.

• Budget Room with Bathroom

Hair all over the bed and dirty linens. Grimy washroom with used tp on the floor and filthy kitchen and utensils. Parking extremely complicated and unsafe. Not worth the$80 at all, a motel or hostel would be much better.

Just the location kind of

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Kitchenette

The room smelled like pot and gave us a headache. The WIFI and stove did not work. The AC was not adequate for the room size. The rooms need major renovations.

The location and staff were good.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Everything looked very old and worn. It was clean, but the stained seat and the rotting baseboards made me very uncomfortable.

It was close to where I wanted to be.

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

Summing up: this place was dirty and insecure. Personally I would never dare to put such a description on it's homepage or here in booking. In more words this "hotel" was inside a very old and badly maintained building. Inside, there supposedly was a casino thus the main doors were not closed (during day and night). This was attracting strange people that were just "hanging out" inside the main corridor. During the night around 10 people knocked on our door (we deduce that they were looking for a dealer selling drugs). One of them at 5:00 AM started to shout and knock on all doors in the building. Then he started kicking one of the doors trying to open it by force. After he got out of the building, he shouted that will burn this place and bury everyone inside. There were as well few verbal fights between 2 or more people. That's all respect the "security". Cleanliness: the room smelled like an ashtray (we ordered a non-smoking one). The bad linen seamed to be clean, but anyway smelled bad due to the cigarettes. Our body was itching after lying on it, so there might be some kind of bugs in the mattress or wherever. Fridge contained some old products. Poor WiFi (max 2Mbit/sec.) and all the time losing connection. After one night we have changed to Hotel Classic and we do not regret that decision.

Our stay was terrible, but lets focus on positives here, which are: the room was spacious and equipped with kitchen (kitchenette in room's description might be confusing). There were all the necessary tools (but sticky and dirty). The receptionist was nice and seamed to understand problems of this place, thus she did not make any problems when we wanted to leave after first night. We have paid just for 1 night instead of 3. We might have been unlucky to stay near the main entrance, which surely has boosted our negative experience.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

The beds were the only thing I had a small problem with but considering the price of the hotel, it was manageable

Location was great. The receptionist was very welcoming upon arrival and was very helpful, she allowed us to stay later than checkout which was very generous. I will definitely recommend to friends and would consider booking there again in the future.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Kitchenette

Hotel is not maintained well. Not at recommended for families or even for couples. Don't go for downtown proximity, pick a far places but better and safe place. As soon as you park you car and enter into hotel, you will realize that it's not the place where you want to stay (specially with family). Dirty entrance, stinky kitchen, room, bathroom...what else to say. As soon as I checked-in, we went out for fresh air and entered late night just to sleep. Woke up very early and checked-out. I will never recommend this place for stay until you need a dirt place to stay. It was very unpleasant stay over there.

The only good about this hotel is proximity to downtown and Old Montreal. Lady over there quick to handover the keys, that's it!!!

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

The room smelled like cleaning products and cigarette. I don't know why, but the mattresses were wrapped in plastic, which made it very uncomfortable and noisy.

Location and price are good.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Private balcony with a nice view of the city (at least from our top floor unit). Full kitchen, yes it's tiny and older appliances, but there were pots, pans, silverware etc, everything you need to cook a small. Overall the place was huge for a "hotel room" two full beds, one in the living area and one in a separate bedroom, plus a futon. Could sleep 2 couples comfortably.

• Budget Room with Bathroom

The place is in good location but it is very poorly maintained and in very bad shape. Honestly I did not expect such a place to be listed in Booking.com.

Nothing worth talking about .

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Even this place has a kitchen, we cannot use it because it is so small and old. The bathroom is small.

The location is great for downtown, very convenient for exploring Montreal. Although this place is old, I see no bugs or cockroach.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

After seeing this place I questioned if I would use booking.com again. Your rating scale is certainly not indicative of what this property was like. We had little choice but to stay but this place was a flophouse. I took in only what I needed and quite literally disinfected myself and all of my belongings the next day.

The person who dealt with us was very accommodating. She was the only positive aspect.

• Budget Room with Bathroom

This was more of a hostle than a hotel. Drug dealers were living on-site. No elevator and we were on the fifth floor. Gave us the wrong room first and we had to wait a few hours till our room was ready (we requested a balcony and there were none available at first). All in all kind of a terrifying experience. Great location though.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Terrible! It is the most horrible place I’ve ever been. It is a nightmare. We arrived in the early morning from a long trip from Newark, NJ, by driving all the way up to Canada. Although the manager is very gentle, the whole hotel and the rooms are deeply dirty; human hair and maybe animal hair everywhere; walls unpainted and stained; unclean and stained linen, full of human hair; debris and garbage in the hallway, rooms and bathroom; the curtains in the shower appeared as they never were washed and are full of dirty and fungus; the sink was full of human hair; the wooden floor was severely worn out, noisy and dirty; the air conditioned was broken; the refrigerator was unclean; there were no coffee in the room or available in the facilities; we only sat down for a while only in the wooden chairs, because the futon was covered with a very dirty blanket full of hair; actually we couldn’t find a place where sitting safely; everything was messy. My daughter and I didn’t touch anything and for sure we didn’t take a shower in that dirty bath tube. For sleeping I had to cover the pillows with my own clothes because we didn’t dare to put our heads and faces on those dirty and smelly pillows full of human hair. We slept with our clothes on, in order to our skin not to touch the dirty linen. The whole hotel looked like a film of horror. We had confirmed 2 nights and we didn’t leave the place just at our arrival at 3 am because we didn´t have energy enough for driving no more and we were really tired, but just 5 minutes after our arrival we booked other hotel and the next morning, very early, we ran out and away of that place. Even the front sidewalk was full of garbage. I will never stay there again and for sure I won’t recommend that place. No way. I don´t understand why you even rate and include that hotel in your webpage, where the pictures and texts that there appear, are a misleading advertising.

The manager is gentle.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Budget Room with Bathroom

The police came and there was yelling in the hotel both nights. For about twenty minutes our first night, a man was shouting bloody murder and obscenities at the police. Place smelled constantly of weed.

Location is great, right near the metro, walking distance from old town and the shopping district, and a safe neighbourhood. Lots of great restaurants around--try the Upstairs Piano Bar for good entertainment.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Budget Room with Bathroom

The place was a complete mess, the walls and stairs and everything were falling apart, I didn't want to sleep on the bed, which was tiny and had rips in the blankets. The door looked like it was bashed in, and it didn't close properly. There were personal items all over the halls and public areas. To get in you had to walk through the laundry room and pass a bunch of garbage, and I didn't sleep at all because you could hear every word from everyone in the building. On top of that, it was freezing.

Location was great, and for what you got the price was pretty good.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Parking could have been indicated better.

The Lady at the desk was really nice! Nothing seemed to be a problem. Made us feel at home, good point when you are on business and far from home!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

Hotel room was dirty, room was old and the visible dirt made us not want to touch anything in the room. The way out of the hotel to the parking area went through the "innards" of the hotel and it looked just as dirty too. On each floor of the hotel rooms there was a mop and bucket of dirty water which smelled. Steps down to parking were old, wooden and rickety.

Hotel was located near buses to take to Old Montreal. Price was cheap.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Budget Room with Bathroom

Very old building,not so clean.disorganized.messy reception room.no elevator for the 4th floor.they used the nearby room as a locker and woke us up at 3 o'clock in the morning.the bed was quite uncomfortable and the matress was so old and noisy that you couldn't relax.poor quality wifi.small space at the back of the building used as a parking,but you needed the other cars to move before coming out.so packed!

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Building is in a state of disrepair. Bed linen and floors were dirty as was the oven, dishes in kitchen were damaged and the balcony looks like it could collapse at any time. Very surprised that the building hasn't been condemned. Was glad to get out of there first thing in the morning, was not a comfortable stay.

Location was great, building has a lot of potential

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

Dirtiest place I've seen in my life. Just avoid this place

The drug dealers

The cheap price

Almost everything

Very well located

no complain

good location, great help, excellent price

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Kitchenette

I did not like it at all it was a drug infested place unsafe for anyone to vacation

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Dirty So dirty and noisy, I don't recommend to any body

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

rooms very outdated, beds uncomfortable. linens didn't match

• Budget Room with Bathroom

Loud at night outside my door made for a restless sleep.

The management and staff were friendly and kind, easy to work with.

• Budget Room with Bathroom

You get what you pay for, but this was a bit sketchy nonetheless. Closer to a hostel than a hotel, though the proprietor was friendly.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Filthy dirty. Hard Crunchy towels. Shady people receptionist.

• Budget Room with Bathroom

Bed was very uncomfortable and there was smoke smell in the room.

Location was nice and having parking option was good.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Kitchenette

Not safe at all. Worst experience of my life

Nothing, ruined my holiday. Have always used booking.con but will now look for an alternative

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

Horrible staff. Disgusting property.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The room was dirty, dirty beds, dirty futon, it smelled terrible.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Budget Room with Bathroom

The staff was super nice, however the room smelled like cigs and the wifi didn't work :(

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Dusty here and there

Awesome bed's

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

No elevator

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Budget Room with Bathroom

Everything and the room smelled like smoke

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Room décor tired

No breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Too old. Too dirty.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

It is noisy when you have the wrong neighbors...

Large room and clean.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

newer beds / bedding couldn't hurt.

location was great, price was affordable, hotel was very old but clean.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Awful

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Queen Studio with Kitchenette

The place was extremely dirty; loud; unfriendly owner; didn't get the room I booked; the worst stay in 30 years!

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette

It was a good location walking distance to everything

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

No comment

• Reviewed: 6 April 2016

The hotel was absolutely filthy. People were smoking continuously in the hotel throughout our stay here. Our room included a bath and toilet. The toilet kept leaking all over the bathroom floor after every use. We could not use the bath since it was very dirty. The kitchen area looked like it has not been cleaned in years. We could only stay here one night.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

No fire escape. Place smelled of cigarette smoke. Police knocked at our door but I guess were looking for another room. Water from water kettle was greasy. Chipped drinking glass.

Near the McGill university. Staff was friendly. Parking on site. Very basic no frills. Plenty of room for 4 people (one BR, outer room with another double bed and couch, kitchenette).

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Everything. From the parking spot/lot to the room everything was a dump. The hotel is filthy. The linens and towels were old and dirty. The floors, kitchen, bathroom, microwave and refrigerator were uncleaned and filthy.

Nothing except the location.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

The pluming backed up but they staff fixed the problem promptly. Someone came in our room and ate some of our food and took a few items.... Maybe the Plummer????

The room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2015

It was the worst experience we ever had, the sheets & pillows were stained. The room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. But the thing that made is leave only 20 minutes after arriving ( and not getting our money back ) was the bed bugs.. Eww Lady who owns it is super nice, but he hotel itself was a fleabag.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

room service was not really good and wi-fi access was intermitent

the location is just perfect to access metro and downtown just walking... The room space is just great

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

This is more of a boarding house really, with some rather noisy long term residents who like to have visitors late into the night. Decor/furniture is junk shop chic.

In a good location, Central, near Metro and with main shopping street easily walkable. Cheap

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

Basically, the hotel can be summed up by the fact that the battery in the t.v. remote was held in with a rubber band. My room seemed dirty and the furniture was very shabby and in a state of disrepair. The bed frame made loud squeaking noises with every little movement. I would defiantly recommend bringing your own pillow.

This hotel is quite inexpensive and the location was very convenient. The bathroom in the room I stayed in looked new, which was nice. If you want to save money and stay in a location close to the metro and within walking distance to a lot of attractions, this would work fine if you don't plan on relaxing in the room a lot. Free parking is a big plus too!

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

Cigarette smell.

Great location (close to downtown, close to grocery/restaurants), free parking, not fancy but clean, good service (only in English).

• Reviewed: 14 January 2015

It needs bathroom renovations...claw bathtub shower curtain was torn. No venting. Needs a complete room painting job. Did not have a radio alarm clock. No wake up calls. Did not see an air conditioning unit. Also needs new curtains or drapes. Not suited for anyone with mobility health issues....stairwells only, no elevator.

100 year old bldg as a self contained rooming house hotel/suite. 1 block away from the subway station. Electric heat control works great. You can cook there and get groceries from a store across the street. There is also a beer brew pub and bar on the other corner. A french pastry shop/coffee bar is 2 doors away. Small underground mall 4 blocks away north with food court and services.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

Someone knocked the door at 3AM with screaming somebody's name...

• Reviewed: 8 January 2016

l'insalubrité

style artichectural

• Reviewed: 22 December 2015

The place looked like it needed an inspection from the Health Board!

The TV worked well!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2015

Place was very noisy at night. the room next to mine had a drug dealer who annoyed his clients one night leaving outside he flat knocking for hours,.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

- I ask for non smoking room but unfortunately the room had a very dirty smile of smoke - the smoke smile still remain in the cloths

• Reviewed: 26 October 2015

Excellent location, free parking and kitchen .

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

Building us very old, lots of squeaking sounds on bed, hallway, stairs. Tiny bathroom too.

Good location and price.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2015

antique bathtub

Perfect Location, Friendly staff, Clean

• Reviewed: 6 August 2015

Old and untidy room and dirty linens

Location, parking

• Reviewed: 22 July 2015

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

clean and easy to shopping and eat

• Reviewed: 9 March 2015

dirty unfriendly staff hotel is open for everone with no security

location cost-benefit ratio

• Reviewed: 23 February 2015

It was cheap

There are also 16 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel & Suites Place des Arts traveller photo gallery