Reviews of Happy Day Inn 3 stars

7330 Sixth Street, V3N 3L3 Burnaby, Canada

#9 of 10 hotels in Burnaby

5.5

• Standard Queen Room

WiFi terrible, breakfast was an apple or orange, doughnut and coffee that you either took to your room or sat by the front door to eat. No coffee today as machine broken. They have to check your room in case you steal sheets, cups, coffee maker or bedding. Which they then charge you for. They also charge you if you don’t wash your cups.

The room was clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well, light above sink needs upgrading, pillows too big (thick) and no micro. Not enough directions to exercise/sauna room.

The short trek from lobby to room was nice, as was the attitude of the staff. Room was alright - plus Shaw Cable, good 'climate control', modern LED bulbs, HOT water and cold fridge. Breakfast 'small' but who needs those 'generic' eggs and sausages anyway. Nice coffee and juice and lobby micro. Oh, and room clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room

They charge $30 if you wanna book an hour early into your room. The fridge door opens up against the wall and hits the wall. The freezer need d to be defrosted. Only orange juice, donuts, muffins and apples.. is NOT a ‘continental breakfast’. Poor location, no amenities near by. Blood on the mattress cover and it looked fresh. There is no view. The dishes were not cleaned properly as finger prints all over the glasses and more! I strongly do not recommend this Motel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Larger room with kitchenette for three day stay.

Initially told we would have Room 301 when we arrived given 204 on the main floor with hallways under construction! Partner was very disappointed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

fast efficient check in reasonable rates through booking online walking distance to places to eat and relatively quiet the parking was great and safe

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Other guests were rude and wouldn’t shut up and even threatened a man with a baby for knocking on his door by accident Said he was going to take him out later Some freak he was room 302

• Standard Queen Room

The parking lot was a bit tricky to get into, but overall no complaints for the money I paid.

Good location -- clean room, well maintained. It was nice having coffee and muffins/donuts available in the lobby each morning.

• Standard Queen Room

For the price, can't imagine.

Surprised to see that it was renovated recently. Although room is small and breakfast minimal, for $60/night it was superior. Muffins, coffee, juice, clean room awesome. Even had the nice bathroom bits, yi-fi, good TV set up, fridge and great coffee maker!

• Standard Queen Room

The toilet had a sanitary seal on it, however when I lifted the seat it had dried urine on the surface. The lighting is very dim. The bathrooms and rooms haven't been updated in 30 years.

• Standard Queen Room

The front desk person Simanhayer is not friendly, very rude and shouldn’t be working with the public with such an attitude. I don’t think I ever met such a rude front desk person in all my travels.

• Standard Queen Room

The management tried to steal my room deposit on trumped up charges that I already paid for. Even went as far as saying my interac payments were actually room charges . They harassed me my last night there even calling the room at 2am to settle the bill that I already paid Then the knock on my room door at 8am to tell me I didn't pay for last night when I had the paid bill in my hands I told them to call the call the police because they are crooks. No one came so I checked out with only a partial deposit. Never again will.i stay there

The breakfast muffins were the only good thing about my whole stay

• Standard Queen Room

The front desk lady was rude, incompetent and not helpfull at all. Her attitude reflects that the inn does not are about the course of cmpfort of the guests.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was included but just coffee or juice and a muffin, so it could be a little better. There is no elevator so lug your suitcases.

It was very good value for the money . Easy access and sure it is a little dated but you could not do better for the lower mainland. Room 309 was very clean and no problems.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

not happy about $200 deposit for damages????? Way too excessive as one has to pay interest on it with your card unless the acct is paid off each month. Two hundred dollars could add a whole bunch of in terest depending on one's balance!!!!!

Kleenex in the room would have been nice - someone else's socks ( 2 different pairs) under the beds - problem with TV quite quickly resolved - crappy pillows

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room making... very poor and unprofessional... filthy Carpet in room ....no proper seating for breakfast .... laud cannot sleep... Old type TV and 24 inch one night light on night desk. poor light in room... The penalty for cancellation was the entire Payment I made... could not cancel same day .. would have if they charge me for one Night.

absolutely nothing

• Standard Queen Room

I have never liked having to drag in all my stuff thru a lobby to get t o my room...... which is what you have to do at this place. Otherwise decent if their prices are at the lower end of the scale they have

Fairly good location near Kingsway, McDonalds about 5 min away, some small local fruit and veggie stores even closer. Small fridge and coffee maker in room.

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel is not in a very nice location or area. The accommodation is tired looking. A bit more care could be taken in presentation. Alarm clock not plugged in, cord found on floor under dresser. Cable TV box not connected. Had to rearrange the wiring to access a power outlet. Lobby area is grubby and univiting.

Great price for what I needed on this stay

• Deluxe Queen Room

1) Unhappy and abrupt staff 2) Uncomfortable and creaking mattress/bed 3) Cigarette burns on linens 4) Spot stains on linens 5) Broken lamp shade 6) Shower stall had leaked onto bathroom floor ... There were a bunch of things wrong with the room/hotel and we did alert the staff upon arrival. We wanted to make them aware since there was an itemized list of charge-able things noted in the room should any of the items went missing or get broken. I took photos and videos just in case. It was late in the day after a long travel and I had been under the weather the entire travel time. Everything else around the area was booked and it was only for one night stay, so we decided to just bite the bullet. I wouldn’t stay here again, nor recommend this place at all.

1) Ample parking 2) Water pressure 3) Quiet neighborhood

• Deluxe Queen Room

Although the room is non smoking, the room and bedding have cigarettes smell especially when lying in bed. Likely because it was a smoking room. Bed needs to be replaced as part of it is broken and not comfortable. Bad location.

Room was clean. Reasonable price for Vancouver area.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

staff was rude, house keeping kept going into my room when I was sleeping. nothing was stocked or clean when I arrived. poor location, break fast sucks. family owners so they will feel comfortable talking back to you or swearing at you.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Them booking the room I already booked to someone else. Them telling me the new room was the cheapest they had except it didn't have a stove like the last one, was more expensive and I found a cheaper price online.

Staff was terrible, very unprofessional.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I watched the 'maids' change a room, they didn't remove all the sheets from the bed-scary. The comforters were not changed for clean ones. The rooms were not large, there was no fridge in the room, certain my booking said there would be. There was an ice bucket, but no sight of an actual ice machine-this was not needed during my stay, this time.

The breakfast was barely continental. The juice was not refrigerated, could have been put in an ice 'bath or holder'; as it was, it just left on a counter. The bagels' were cut in half, to economize, 'I guess.? Didn't notice any jam or spreads for bagels,pretty basic, considering the price of the room. The hallway was very narrow, so anyone carrying luggage down it had to walk sideways to get to the room-scary what it what be like during a fire! Location was key for me, close access to highways etc.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bed was terrible. It was old, uncomfortable and the sheets didn't fit. The motel needs to have the smelly carpets replaced. Too many little warning signs strewn around to tell you you will be fined for one thing or another.

Convenient to get to and central to everywhere we wanted to go. Staff were pleasant. The shower was great and wifi worked well. Parking was excellent.

• Standard Queen Room

one of the front desk girls did not like to stop texting to answer questions, took 3 days to get more than 2 channels on tv. Had to ask for more coffee to be made in morning or make it ourselves. think it is a family run business-3 of the front desk people were more helpful.

the beds were comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was just awful, stale bagels and when asked the manager he said that's all he had, coffee kept running out throughout the "free continental breakfast" time, had to keep going to the manager for coffee, milk... his excuse was that they were short staffed but he just sat there behind his desk and did nothing. When being questioned why the service was the worst we have ever seen he said not to raise our voices at him. Everything about the hotel was just awful. I've travelled all over Canada and Europe and had never experienced such poor customer treatment. Tiny sink was outside of our bathroom, the fan was so loud we could never use it, tv didn't work and when asked the manager he said he would send a repair guy as soon as possible which wasn't good enough because I don't want some guy in my room when we'r not there. The wifi!!!! What a joke.. every day ppl were screaming at the manager about this because they advertise free wifi, ppl could only get it in certain spots, and we'd always see ppl in the hallway with their laptops trying to connect. No wifi in the rooms. Just awful... please please don't book there!

Didn't like anything about the hotel

• Deluxe Queen Room

remote to TV did not work properly coffee was cold fruit offered did not look very appetizing

Peaceful for the area it was in. Parking was great.

• Deluxe Queen Room

This nasty, dirty, dangerous room contained many health and safety hazards that the staff refuesd to take care of. For example, the first thing we noticed was the uncovered electrical outlet that was right by the floor. Our concern was our 17 month old sticking her finger in it and getting electrocuted. The employee at the desk told us to deal with it ourselves. The list of issues is too long to type out, but this gives you an idea of their mentality. We are currently in the process of doing a dispute through our credit card company since they refused to communicate with me about the refunds that we were promised and still have yet to receive. Oh, and by the way, they charge you a $200 deposit at the time of check in, even though it's not mentioned at the time of booking, and they don't tell you until after they have run your card. Also DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD because in order to get your deposit back, you have to go back to the hotel, which is not possible for most travellers. I'm not sure how my review results in a 2.5 rating since I gave them the worst possible scores.

• Standard Queen Room

Not very desirable area. Says it's a motel, but set up like a hotel. Rooms and hallways are small.

Nice place, nice staff. Comfortable beds. Best forbiv stop and go in my opinion.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms not really fresh, double bed, not queens. Lighting was odd throughout. TV small. No real updates for a few decades. Halls and stairs ultra narrow. Sort of like old studio apartment converted. Lobby totalled about 50 square feet. No place for vacation or the like. Suggest using only if you want just the sleep and leave stop for an evening.

Nothing special here at all. Location was convenient to Hospital, which I needed for early appointment. Very few Hotels in this entire City, so choice limited. Rate was reasonably low. Did have room air conditioner that worked. Good thing. Ambient noise blocks the noise from street traffic.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

coffee maker didn't work,room was a little small, one light didn't work, I wanted a room with a door to the outside-this place didn't have that, the hall & carpet was dirty, the cans of pop in the fridge were flat, AC was not that good

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not enough soap, shampoo, towels, no extra pillows or blankets.Room so so clean but they might have been shortstaffed as their sign was advertising for a maid. No elevator for special needs. Continental breakfast- well it wasn't! At least the coffee was decent. Having been a maid working thru college I am aware of standards expected and this place was low!

The staff was friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

me and my daughter stayed there for just one night. and checked out at 8am the next day because we have to attend to my other daughter's graduation in Burnaby. and that next night after we checked out, I noticed red marks on my face, neck, thighs, arms and even my hands and they became swollen and itchy as hours passed by. when I showed it to my friends and families, they all said the same thing! they are bed bug bites!! Thank God, my daughter who slept on the other bed next to me didnt get any! Its my third day since we checked out at Happy Days and the red marks are still very visible and itchy that I am so embarrassed to show them to anyone> We stayed at Room 313, on the second floor, and I slept on one of two double beds there which was on the left side of the room, Please investigate and find out if there really were bed bugs present and its freaking me out that I might have spread them to the rest of my clothes in my luggage, then to home, and to my own bed at home here in Toronto.

washroom is somehow clean.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The location is sketchy. Wifi didn't work in rooms as advertised. Check in was messed up. Suffice to say, unless price is the most important, don't stay here. If it is, don't pay more than $80 Canadian for this dump.

The hotel door locked. Robert Burnaby park is nearby. There didn't appear to be bedbugs. That's about it.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast could have been better I had booked for 1 room with 2 beds but looks like there was a glitch in the system I got a room with 1 bed. So i went down to the lobby spoke with the staff who told me that i had to pay $20 for an extra bed. So i paid $40 for 2 days.

Staffs were very friendly. 30 to 35 mins drive front Stanley park. Near the bus stop Breakfast could have been better When i arrived there, i had to pay $20 for an extra bed. So i paid $40 for 2 beds.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

This is the last time that l will give this review.If Hotel Management is aware of in house BED BUG PROBLEMS, is is not courteous and professional to advise the guests that they may be subjected to a distressing experience? Survey done, after l left the hotel with multiple bed bugs on my face arms, arms and legs.Is Booking .com going to still carry this client.I hope not. Case closed!

Not much

• Deluxe Queen Room

Poor standard of cleanliness and woke up to find I was sharing the bed with bedbugs....checked out and would never go back - or want anyone else to experience this.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no running water on our second day. Breakfast was muffins and apples ( they really don't provide breakfast). The place was near empty and very run down. We had a 4 night stay and day 2 they had no running water. We left after 2 days and tried to cancel. They lied about not having water and are Refusing to refund for the 2 nights we didn't stay. I'm waiting to see how Booking.com handles the refund.

Initially it looked like low price

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

It was more of an uncomfortable thing really. They put $250.00 onto our credit card just in case we might do some damage. We were told they would remove it when we checked out. We were very pleased that they did! it was just that we had never had this experience before so we were a bit nervous about it.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, & the price was reasonable. The room needs some repair work though.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

staff did not us a give us a wake up call when requested both nights we were there bed was lumpy and if you sat on end of bed it tipped the other end up in the air ,staff did not give a receipt for $200 deposit or confirmation of return. breakfast provided was just donuts and coffee

it was clean price was ok

• Deluxe Queen Room

There is nothing to tell worst ever booking

Was run down noisy left at 2 am booking.com and hotel refused to give money back worst place to book ever never use booking. Com again

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

A very basic room and quite small with a queen size bed. No fridge to chill and store drinks, Washroom does not has toiletries except toilet tissue only.

The front desk staff is friendly

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Narrow hallways, breakfast was not great poor selection small food area and needed patience when waiting for the food to be put out. Too sugary. It was an older bldg but it suited our needs. Thanks

The sauna and workout room plus laundry.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast, but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The room was small, but we knew that ahead of time, and we were still able to get all of our shopping and our daughter's wheel chair in the room without being too cramped. The neighbourhood was very quiet at night which suited us perfectly!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This place was a huge dive. Smelled like booze and cigarettes. There were bugs in the bed..and some dead ones squished on the walls. The only thing cleaned up after the previous guests was the beds were made....Who knows if they were even new sheets they looked so old. About the only thing the staff said about all this was that maybe the maids mistakenly missed it. We didn't stay more than half an hour. I know the rates are cheap compared to some others but we've been to others for that rate that were definitely better than this place

We liked nothing

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

I was charged a $250 deposit because it had a bar. There was no fridge and 4 bottles of water 4 cans of pop and a Kirkland gatoraide .. No booze Also if both sat on the end of the bed it tilted up and we almost fell on the floor. The heating is off and on too..Not a great sleep

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The washroom bathtub shower shud have been repaired. It was broken and water was leaking everywhere.

The free breakfast shud have been more better then jus giving muffins. There shud have been more cereals which is a better options then muffins. Didnt like the breakfast at all. Very very poor

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The wall heater/air conditioner kept turning off and on all night long and was so noisy it woke me up many times. I didn't rest well and wanted to move out but was going to be charged for the full stay.

The location was great. Good public transportation

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

There was more than one occasion I was in my room with the do not disturb sign and the maids tried to come in. I once put the sign up and they entered my room when I wasn't in there and took the sign down.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This is the worst place I have stayed in a 2 week road trip. The bathroom was not clean at all, the shower had hair stuck to the wall and tub. To top it off my girlfriend and I are now covered in bites from the bed bugs that our room was infested with. I would've preferred to pay more for a clean hotel that wasn't infested with bed bugs!

It was very cheap

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

the breakfast consisted of timmy's donuts, tea & apples placed at the front door; no place to sit to actually have breakfast.

the location was good & quiet and the hotel was clean albeit a bit run down. It provided me with what a hotel should.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Breaking was okay. Wish there was more than muffin and doughnuts and different fruits. And only one key card works at a time.

Rooms were clean, beds were comfy, staff were helpful

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

For the moderate price: small rooms, double beds -too small to sleep a couple, too big for the room, old soap in bathroom when we came in. Bathroom sink area too small In residential area...not really any choices to eat within walking distance

staff were friendly, helpful -only about 5 min off the trans canada hwy

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast- make it more healthy, more options Clean sheets there were bed bugs on the first night.

Great location, good value, nice staff and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

It would be nice if the sheets were long enough to be tucked under the mattress. We had to get up twice in the night just to straighten the sheets enough to sleep.

We were able to book a room that afternoon, but the cost was disproportionate to the accommodations (this is true for all of the lower mainland) and the street was noisy all night.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything!!! Not worth your money. Attached is the picture of the bed bugs that we found in our bed

The staff on evening lacks customer service and very rude. We found bed bugs lots of it in bed unfortunately we cant check out after the first night coz booking.com does not want to deal with it. And the water runs out as well.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Several things: 1) Wi-Fi - advertised but unfortunately is clunky, slow, and gets disconnected every 5 minutes. Upon raising the issue I was told they'll reboot, and then several hours later I passed by the reception and was updated that their ISP said there were some 'issues' 2) Free Breakfast! - Yes, as advertised it is free but it is not a breakfast. You'll see a tray filled with 7 split donuts and muffins (I counted), and one jug filled with orange juice for the all the 40 rooms in the property. No eggs, no bagels, no cereal, no quality spread like Philadelphia, etc. I had to buy breakfast daily for my family of four, like many other guests. Please build breakfast cost separately for yourself 3) Gym is closed at times. Upon request it was opened for me but after some discussion. Very little lighting, smelly, and two treadmills plus one weight workout machine in total with the weight bars pin replaced with a drill bit! 4) Carpet in the entry to second floor staircase had a persistent stink

Price - I couldn't find any other option with these many 'advertised' features at this price.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They put my kids and I in a smoking room. No elevator to bring bags in, no offer from staff to help with bags. Location wasn't great....

The staff was friendly. Nice to have the free breakfast in the morning.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Absolutely nothing is good. Please take it of your list I do not recommend. False representation. Charge more money for slightly clean room. Breakfast is very poor only standing in the very small lobby. I request re-fund. I feel was cheating.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

1. Lack of privacy in gound floor room as window did not have double curtains 2. BED-BUGS SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM..MANAGEMENT SHIFTED US TO ANOTHER ROOM IE THIRD TIME BUT EVEN HERE ONE LARGE BUG MADE LAST NIGHT SLEEPLESS FOR MY WIFE

Management agreed and shifted us to a room on upper floor

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No elevator. AC wasn't working well, took awhile to cool the room. There was no water supply for 2 hours and we couldn't use the washroom. The toilet bowl doesn't flush fully, u have to double flush.

The staff was really nice. They helped us with our luggage as there wasn't an elevator. Nice location.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The beds were old and hard, the room smelled, $150 deposit that was not returned despite no damage or theft. Decent for what it is but there are better places for the same price

That they were available.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The air conditioner could have had a softer mode. And the breakfast was rather on the short side.

The location was good, as I had a medical appointment in Burnaby the next day.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

I paid the night a couple of weeks before I stayed in the hotel, and when I checked in the clerk made a copy of my my Credit Card. There are a lot of risks with this practice.

Cheap hotel near Vancouver.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Great value for money, on a bus line to Sky Train. It is basic but a great bed, very clean and the staff were exceptional - very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast is included and had decent baked goods and good coffee.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

They could have given us at least our prior request for 1 night into a 2 double bed so we were better rested for our stay especially we checked out at 5:00 am to drive back home. We were told by the reception that that's all we could get.

The bed is hard & we didn't get what we requested of 2 double beds. We only need the place to sleep because we were at friends & relatives places during the day & at the venue of our association party. 1 person slept on the floor in each room & the management were not willing to change it.

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast - marginal - donuts is not food, 1 bagel sliced in half & 1 muffin to choose from. Coffee fine and organge juice, Fruit apple all set up in the entrance.

Close to highway access Canada Way.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Breakfast was a shame. Only bagels and muffins, so had to go elsewhere for breakfast. There were no condiments ( eg: cream cheese, jam etc.). Even though it was nominal, I was charged for a local call (rediculously cheap of the motel management).

The staff was very pleasant.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The breakfast was a lot to be desired.

Good price. Clean room. Good maid service.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Card key kept failing to work.

Room was quite comfortable.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room wasn't ready. Defrosting fridge left water on kitchen floor. Thin walls

Close to the hospital we needed

• Deluxe Queen Room

Fair quality for fair price.

• Standard Queen Room

could use hallway and door renos

quiet place. muffins were tim hortons, coffee and juice in morning

• Standard Queen Room

Clean, quiet, friendly, nice and comfortable. Good value for money.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Staff are friendly and helpful

brekfsst came late