Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Kitchener/Cambridge 3 stars

746 Old Hespeler Road, N3H 5L8 Cambridge, Canada

#5 of 9 hotels in Cambridge

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

They offer a good selection at the buffet.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

The king bed wasnt very comfortable and the pull out couch mattress was terrible.

They offer a good selection at the buffet. Swimming pool was small but nice.

Loved it!

The pool was way too cold for myself and my 2.5 yr old.

The room, the comfort of the bed, the water pressure in the shower, the food and the room amenities

Was great other then the breakfast mix up
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

When asked if breakfast comes with the room cost was told "Yes" then while having breakfast a waitress hands us a bill...$40 + dollars later!! Also didn't see a back entrance so when parked in back parking lot had to walk around to the front.

Good location, decent breakfast but a little dated and over priced.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

First time in a Hilton hotel. I expected more. The hotel was a little dated. The lobby was under construction. We got interrupted in our room by the cleaning staff asking if we had enough towels which is nice, but something that they should have taken care of before hand instead of knocking on the door and trying to come in. The price was much higher than the other 2 hotels beside it for no apparent reason maybe other than it’s a Hilton hotel. Wasn’t impressed.

The breakfast was fairly decent and the location is close to downtown and good for what we needed.

Horrible
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Unruly guests smoking marijuana inside and outside the hotel, smoking cigarettes at the entrances of the hotel, running around the halls being extremely loud all night. This was reported to hotel staff, yet the behaviour continued. I was told they would provide me with a discount but was not. The day staff were apparently not even aware of what occurred during the night.

Nothing special for the price.

The lobby was under renovation. There was basically nothing for gluten free breakfast. I advised through booking.com that I needed this but it wasn't considered by hotel staff.

It was relatively quiet

Decent!
    • Queen Room

Staff were confused and took a while figuring stuff out, breakfast was expensive and not included, ice meachine was down on our floor, towels for swimming were small, it was under construction. Beds has no protector under them to prevent thins from going under. No food vending meachines just front desk snacks.

Pool, hot tub, wifi, gym, location, separate area set up with microwave, coffeemaker like a little Kitchen cubby.

Was adequate, but cost per night was excessive
    • Queen Room

Bathrooms small, poorly lit. Cost of room booked through Booking.com was more than the cost if booking directly through the hotel and the hotel would not apply a lower rate.

Location, rooms were clean.

I have stayed there before and notice the cleanliness standard has fallen
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Housekeeping on our floor was terrible the room was not properly cleaned on our arrival and on our second day we had to request cleaning at in the afternoon and then she only through the bed together and emptied the garbage we had to call after she left to get clean towels. The mirrors on the the closet looked like someone spilled liquid down them that was there on check in and stayed there the whole weekend. The bathtub looked Grosse it had a black ring in spots and on the floor of the tub it had black bars we showered in flipflops but definitely wouldn't sit in it. Generally housekeeping left a lot to be desired and funnily enough she did such an poor job that the second morning she completely missed her tip and note of thanks on the dresser needless to say there was no tip after that

Breakfast excellent food overall was good majority of staff were helpful particularly day front desk clerk and the waiter in the restaurant at supper

Disappointed in Cambridge
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

I booked a King Suite for my daughter and her family. It was supposed to have a King bed and a fold out couch on the first floor. Instead they were given a room on the 4th floor with 2 beds.

It had a pool

great experience.

Front desk staff was really friendly and accommodating. Easy & fast check in. Spotless room . Loved the gym and pool. Overall the best property to stay at in Cambridge if you are looking for privacy, friendly staff & great amenities.

Nice hotel just off the 401 on the edge of Cambridge
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Good hotel to stay in while visiting the area as it is close to the 401, shopping across the street & nearby restaurants. We checked in after 3, room was ready, nice front desk staff, clean lobby (free coffee in the AM & cookies in the PM), restaurant/bar is adjacent to the lobby, free parking out front and back. The hotel has a pool, whirlpool, and exercise room plus loaner yoga equipment to use in your room if you want. We were on the 4th floor with a view of Hespeler Road and the mall next door. The room was clean had pretty good blackout curtains, king bed, sofa, TV, free WIFI, TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, tub/shower, many towels & bathroom amenities (Nutragena), work desk, chair & ample light though the bathroom was a bit dull. Many restaurants close by and takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the Mall. Overall, nice hotel to use as a base for visiting the area and would stay here again if the opportunity arises.

Great value.

The tub didn't drain well and could use a non slip mat. The door to the room didn't close automatically. Minor points.

Coffee and water in lobby. Thank you for a quiet room. Friendly staff.

Will probably not book a stay there again
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

The room smelled like someone had a dog in it. It was not worth the $200. In my opinion. And could not connect to the internet no matter what I did

Easy to get to

location.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Bed was hard. No vented fan in bathroom. Room air conditioning noisy. Breakfast too costly for price of room. Coffee mate rather than full dairy creamer.

location. close to Hespeler arena. Keurig coffee machine good. Modern look.

We did not get a complimentary voucher for breakfast.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

We did not get a complimentary voucher for breakfast. They told us the reason for this was because we booked our stay through booking.com. A cost of $25 for buffet breakfast for two was quoted. Every other guest had a complimentary breakfast voucher. For the total cost of this room I would expect a complimentary breakfast. We will not be back for future stays at this hotel. The quality at this hotel has deteriorated from a year ago. Usually Hilton Garden Inn's are very good but this one is not fitting of the Hilton name.

Mediocre at best.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

I like the HGI and have stayed there many times. My comments are meant to be constructive and I appreciate the opportunity to help you improve. I find the hotel is getting out dated in looks especially in the corridors and the hotel rooms. The lighting in the bathroom is horrible and dull; the shower head is cheap and doesn't spray well even though it has numerous idiotic adjustments; the shower curtain looks cheap and tattered; the toilet seat was damaged and didn't open/close properly; the TV is extremely slow to adjust to new channels and annoying; the suitcase rack is unusable for todays flip open suitcases; the artwork is cheap and mass produced looking. Also I find the elevators very boring - there could be some colour or interest added to make the trip up and down more of an event. Thanks, H

good size room, frig, clean bathroom
    • Queen Room

They had duct tape on the door latch to keep it open. The door was suppose to be locked after a certain hour but was not. Did not realize breakfast was for a fee. We thought this was part of the hotel price. After we ate and were ready to leave, the kitchen lady asked us for our room number so we could be charged a $15 per person rate!!

good size room, frig, clean bathroom

The extra cleanliness of the rooms needs to be looked at,...

The extra cleanliness of the rooms needs to be looked at, the room is clean, but streaks on pictures, marks on walls, rust on bathtub fixtures, mirrors streaked, but i could tell it was clean not shinned up

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Will not stay here again
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Originally booked a King bed. Told we were being moved to a room with 2 queens, as they were out of King rooms. When disappointment was expressed that this is not what we booked. The staff blamed booking.com for the error. When asked if it would be the same cost, all of a sudden a king was available. Also a wet/used facecloth was hanging over the shower curtain in the bathroom upon our arrival. Room and hotel overall did not match what seemed to the positive reviews read prior to arrival.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

I appreciate that all of the staff was friendly and...
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

The restaurant is by the front door, a little cold if the door opens often. Take a sweater down to eat.

I appreciate that all of the staff was friendly and helpful . Our beds were comfortable and clean. My husband and son enjoyed the pool and I used the gym..Breakfast was very good I had a few options and because I have celiac that was very nice .

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

good facility but management needs to review signage and inspect rooms
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

requested dark drapes and although room possessed, they could not close and bright industrial lights shone into room. did not know until settled in. Everything in room ok but sofa worn and should be removed to make room appear less shoddy. mattress too firm for my tastes. pillows ultra comfortable.Appeared very clean. good water pressure. location too difficult to find . wee signage for street name, no sign at road and behind other hotels. when I called reception could not give any direction, even if north or south of main highway 401. She should be provided script at desk. I needed a gps to locate.

breakfast was better than average with chef in attendance , dinner very good. lots of free parking, easy wifi

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Someone was having sex in the spa pool when we came in to...
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Someone was having sex in the spa pool when we came in to swim with two little kids. A lady then tried to pull her underwear on and was not successful, so everything was visible when she left the spa.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Works well for us.
    • Queen Room

The location of the property is awkward to access because it's beside a divided highway, and is only easy to enter if traveling south.

So happy to find a shower that worked so well!

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Check out staff was very friendly and personable.
    • Queen Room

Front desk was ignorant, phone, remote & tv in room didn't work, housekeeping were condescending about fixing the tv etc and told me I wasn't allowed a luggage cart in my room when we had barely settled in. Pool was freezing & hot tub luke warm. I couldn't get the front desk so I had to call the actual hotel and nobody answered 3 times. I will not be staying here again and wouldn't consider recommending this location. Awful experience for $160/night!!!

Check out staff was very friendly and personable. The pillows were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Most staff were very friendly.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Bed and pull out couch extremely uncomfortable. Pool was closed, didn't get to use it. My requests to the hotel through booking.com went unanswered. (ie early check in/late check out.

Most staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

It's alright, nice and close to major arteries

Well it snowed a couple of times while I was there but who ever the company is that they hired to do the snow clearing obviously does not have them as priority. As the lot wasn't cleared to early afternoon and even the outside walk way was haphazardly done .... Once again, I unfortunately got stuck at a hotel that caters to sports teams. That said the management did an overall decent job at maintaining a sense of control, but still had the kids running down the hallways till 11 at night and loud and of course they took over the hot tub and pool the days they were there making them unavailable. I do get it though, the hotel needs the business i just wish hotels would advertise on the web site that the week you will be there, there will also be sports teams there so you can make a informed decision on whether not to stay at the place.

Great service by the cook wait staff, Alexis was my server everyday and was pleasant, happy and real nice, the cook whose name i forgot was a great guy to shoot the breeze with. Tyson the front desk fellow was super and of course the others also were nice

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Hilton only cares about making money and not about customer satisfaction
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

I booked with the wrong Hilton on the bookings.ca website and I should have booked with the Homewood Suites 2 minutes down the 401. I understand it was my fault for not reading the web-site properly but I thought I had the Homewood Suite site selected. Regardless of who's fault it was the Hilton - Garden Inn Suites hotel would not let me transfer my room to the Hilton - Homewood Suites hotel even though I begged them to so that my son who was there for a hockey tournament could be with his hockey team. I'm very disappointed with Hilton!!! I wasn't trying to cancel all together and Hilton would have still made their money on a room Saturday night but the hotels were very unaccommodating and my only option was to pay twice if I wanted to move hotels and that's just the worst customer service ever! All hotels care about is making a buck and not about making a kid happy to be with his hockey team.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Comfortable, clean, good location

Children were running and playing ball in the halls, quite noisy at times. I realize the hotel control of this is limited. It would help if an area was designated for children to play, similar to a work out gym that is available to adults.

The room was spacious and very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Not being told when checking in that warm water problem...
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Not being told when checking in that warm water problem prevent you from having s nice warm shower

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

The ppl at the front desk are very helpful :) Great...
    • Queen Room

The ppl at the front desk are very helpful :) Great customer service.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Nice family mini break

Nothing everything was enjoyable

Everything this is our go to hotel in Cambridge when we visit our family

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

the bed was cpmfortable
    • King Room - Disability Access

The property is under renovations. The walk in shower had a lot of stains

the bed was cpmfortable

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Ok for families and young people we stay here whenever we visit our family in Cambridge
    • Queen Room

Great renovation good food friendly and accommodating staff

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

We enjoyed the quiet time after a busy three weeks with...
    • Queen Room

Check. Out staff member could have been more pleasant

We enjoyed the quiet time after a busy three weeks with company at home

Good staff
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Bad odour in the bathroom

Good staff

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Staff was very nice and helpful
    • Queen Room

Bed was a bit soft and the way the bathroom door opened, it blocked the entry into the room, just not a good design.

Staff was very nice and helpful

Perfection!
    • Queen Room

Clean, quiet, comfortable and great staff! They accommodate for my son's allergies, what's not to love!?!

Not a Hilton brand one would expect. Rooms and hotel outdated. Hotel lobby was under renovations and this was not mentioned.

The bed was comfortable.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Construction throughout the facility, Keurig not clean

The bed was comfortable.

Below average
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel is dirty and dated . The rooms are very tired , old furniture and not very clean

The front desk staff

not a big deal but lobby was under construction and not...
    • Queen Room

not a big deal but lobby was under construction and not advised when booking

Food is great

N/a

Food is great

Very enjoyable.
    • King Room - Disability Access

Very friendly staff. Erika was very attentive and helpful. She is a very pleasant young lady and is definitely an asset to be acknowledged.

I was staying with my daughter to visit close family

No comment i

Very good but would have liked som kind of complementary breakfast especially fir a family with chi

No complementary breakfast

cambridgel!0🔫
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

forst floor hallway was loud

Early Access to hottub and pool. 5am

Great place to stay

Can't think of anything

We enjoy our stay overall

A comfortable stay for a week with great staff assistance

Nothing springs to mind

Breakfast good value

• King Room with Sofa Bed

There are no recycling bins in room.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Clean but dated hotel
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Hotel is dated and the beds old. Hotel definitely needs to be updated.

Engaging, friendly staff and fast service. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Great quality exercise equipment (Precor) in excellent...

Bed not as comfortable as had been on previous stay(s)

Great quality exercise equipment (Precor) in excellent condition.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Well done

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Great place!

Everything was great!

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

No soap provided for jacuzzi tub.
    • King Room with Hot Tub

No soap provided for jacuzzi tub. Only shampoo

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Second class citizen
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

Treated like a second class citizen for booking thru a third party.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Quietest hotel I e ever slept in and it was quite busy.
    • Queen Room

Quietest hotel I e ever slept in and it was quite busy. Great beds!

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

Check in was quick and easy because I reserved through...

Check in was quick and easy because I reserved through Booking.com so, I got a very good rate. Room was clean, cozy and comfortable. The most thing I like it in the room that there is a microwave there. I highly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 22 May 2016

The rooms were ok.

Someone pulled the fire alarm. For the longest time we had no access to the elevators and or one set of stairs due to water and damage from the water on the first floor

The rooms were ok.

• Reviewed: 24 April 2016

Bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

Card reader on the door worked intermittently (one in ten tries) and staff seemed to think that was acceptable. Toilet kept running on every 5 min, I eventually shut off the valve as it was so noisy. Cleaning staff walked in at 930. Didn't knock,just walked in. Just little things I guess..

Bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The reception desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

The water pressure in the toilet was too slow. There needs to be more water in the tank. The Keurig coffee maker was too slow to heat water, etc.

The reception desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The coffee, tea and water at the reception area is nice. The hotel room was fine.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The toilet was broke and run ran after each flush, i...

The toilet was broke and run ran after each flush, i reported to front desk, they sent up maintenance, she said the plunger just needs to be pushed down to seal, so after every flush i had to take off lid and put my hand into the back of toilet and push seal down the seal so it would not run.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2016

Nice hot tub and pool ,very clean, quiet room

Will not come back the bed very uncomfortable, could not be adjusted,never got close to firm,this the second time we had this problem ,first time I thought it was just a faulty bed ,told them when I left but they didn't, try and compensate me

Nice hot tub and pool ,very clean, quiet room

• Reviewed: 24 March 2016

Clean friendly service and good location.

A more comfortable bed

Clean friendly service and good location. Bed was a little hard but otherwise it's OK. Food and beer was good and large portion.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2016

It was relatively quiet, the breakfast was pretty good.

Thermostat had temperatures only in Fahrenheit. We've been a metric country for over 40 years. Many of us do no know the scale the Americans use. Even though you turn on the fan from auto it still turns off after a heating cycle. TV still has SDH channels stretched.

It was relatively quiet, the breakfast was pretty good.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2016

Rooms were clean

Was charged 350 for a room because I paid cash. Next morning customer service said I only paid 250. They took an additional 100. They ripped me off. Would not recommend this location to anyone.

Rooms were clean

• Reviewed: 9 January 2016

Kelsey at the desk was so sweet and helpful.

Kelsey at the desk was so sweet and helpful. We had to cancel and she really helped as l had just come out of the hospital but just wanted to come home. 1 1/2 hour drive home

• Reviewed: 23 December 2015

The staff was courteous and friendly.

Some areas of breakfast area were cold do to draft from front door.

The staff was courteous and friendly. The request that I had asked for on both occasions were done and exceeded my expectations.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

When I booked the hotel they didn't tell me they have to...

When I booked the hotel they didn't tell me they have to have $150.00 up front. For depost or there was no breakfast included while staying there. And another thing when we were staying there they had a Christmas party one of the people working the party was bringing the food in and sneezed all over the food. I will not stay there again the fan in bath wasn't working the heat was off in are room it was so hot in are room turn the air container on it didn't work either. They didn't vacuum the room looked under bed there was a lot of chips under the bed

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

Liked the complimentary coffee and tea in the big beautiful...

Noisy guests from a wedding party between 1:00 & 4:00 am woke us up. We didn't complain.

Liked the complimentary coffee and tea in the big beautiful lobby and swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2015

Clean and friendly

Bed uncomfortable and hard as a rock, sofa bed mattress felt coils my son said sleeping on the floor was more comfortable!! Very noisy in the middle of night! Neighbours very loud in the hall! Not impressed! Good thing we only stayed one night!! Would like to be contacted by manager!!

Clean and friendly

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

Liked the kitchenette in the room, beds were comfortable,...

It's not exactly a scenic location but it is convenient to Kitchener/Waterloo and St. Jacob's

Liked the kitchenette in the room, beds were comfortable, liked having the Keurig. It was nice you could always get coffee, tea and water in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

The hotel has a great business centre that is available to...

It would have been nice to have the option of having a buffet breakfast included in the room rate.

The hotel has a great business centre that is available to all guests. The spa/pool area is a spacious, super clean facilitiy. The hotel itself has a quiet and restful atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2015

The staff was very accomodating, clean room, comfortable bed.

The staff was very accomodating, clean room, comfortable bed. My mother lives in a long term care facility in Cambridge, so we travel to the area often and always stay at this hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2015

This was by far one of the nicest hotel experiences I have...

This was by far one of the nicest hotel experiences I have had. The hotel was extremely clean, very well decorated, comfortable and the pool/hot tub area was perfect for my kids. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were nicely decorated.

There are also 66 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.