Reviews of Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake 3 stars

500 York Road, L0S 1J0 Niagara on the Lake, Canada

#12 of 14 hotels in Niagara on the Lake

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Thankfully, the discount rate obtained with Booking.com made this hotel more competitive.

Other than a Tim Hortons and McDonald's, there was only one other restaurant near this property. Breakfast at this hotel was over $15.00 per person while the Holiday Inn and Staybridge hotels right next door offered a free hot breakfast with many choices. For this reason alone, I will not stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again. The hotel would not honour my Hilton Honours membership because I booked our stay with a third party booking agency. Really?! What would this have cost them?

The room was very good and the wifi connection was excellent. The two double beds were very comfortable. Very quiet accommodations.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

celebrated aniversary in style

Location between falls, niagara on the lake and Jordan was excellent. Room was tot notch, king bed. Shower the best. 1st breakfast was slow, but second one better. Great coffee. Would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Excellent location right off QEW, quiet, updated, close to...

Breakfast was pricey for what you get; could not find a menu of breakfast offerings on website and no menu provided once seated.

Excellent location right off QEW, quiet, updated, close to outlet shops.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Excellent stay
    • King Room with Whirlpool

Couples mini getaway. From checkin to check out perfection. Beds were really comfortable, excellent pillows. We had the King jacuzzi room. Impeccably clean. We ate dinner at the restaurant. Our server was great, the food was delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a no hassle experience. We will definitely return again.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

The comfort of beds and spaciousness of the room.

With respect to the breakfast service (free with our room) service was extremely slow. Evident they were short staffed.

The comfort of beds and spaciousness of the room. Cleanliness was optimum.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Convenient location right off the highway with a nice indoor...

The pool facilities were without a change room and there were no bathrobes in the room. We wore our swimsuits under our clothing to the pool and returned to our room wrapped towels.

Convenient location right off the highway with a nice indoor swimming and whirlpool. The room was a good size with comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Great I will use this Hilton again
    • King Room with Whirlpool

The price was different from online I was charged 199.00 per nite and I booked it because of the great price of 180.00 per nite

I stayed at the Ottawa Hilton garden and loved it

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Rooms were clean comfortable
    • King Room with Whirlpool

For the money you spend for the rooms. I think asking for a bottle of water wouldn't be to much. Instead you have to be a club member to get one. Water cost nothing it should be given out to guest for nothing regardless.

Rooms were clean comfortable

Very nice place and staff.

Our beds in our room where very hard not very comfortable and the pool was very small.

Everything and everybody was very nice. The room was very clean and the staff was very accommodating. The restaurant was good for dinner.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

I so enjoyed my stay, it was so close to the downtown...

I so enjoyed my stay, it was so close to the downtown section, just in time for the a peach festival. Staff very helpful and friendly. Would love to return next year.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

beds were great!

More attention to the bathroom - floor and baseboards but otherwise it was a nice comfortable room with all the amenities we required.

beds were great! service in restaurant with Larry, very nice indeed...I would recommend the fish and chips!!!

The hotel was spotless.
    • King Room with Whirlpool

We thought we were staying on the lake. We feel the pictures you showed of the lake with the picnic bench was false advertising. We were very disappointed with the location. It never stated that this hotel was not located on the lake.

The hotel was spotless. The breakfast was fantastic.

Great place!

In room coffee but lobby coffee was fine.

Sliding glass doors in pool area meant doors could be open in nice weather to ease chlorine smell indoor pools have that make breathing hard. Well tended grounds. Location good for vineyard tours and 15 min from Old Town. Bartender made my 10 yr old grandson a "Roy Rogers" while we enjoyed a glass of local wine before dinner. Food was good for hotel food.

Good staff.

Small bathroom with flimsy bathroom door. Overpriced for room size Room service not available after10 pm Small dining room Bar closes early at 11

Good staff. Clean.

The person at the front desk was phenomenal.

The person at the front desk was phenomenal. Gave us a map and indicated on it the fastest and the most scenic routes to town. Showed us where the ice wineries were located. He was extremely helpful!

It is a very pleasant comfortable place.

Fabulous location in regards to border crossing, wine country, Niagara on the Lake , Shaw Festival, shopping outlets, Niagara Falls, etc... I have stayed there several times while traveling to and from Canada...It has a lot of amenities to bring traveling community together if you so choose. Things like two outside sitting /dining areas, an indoor games room, bar, pool and longe chairs, etc. might be desirable features for many after a day of sight seeing. I was just passing through this time.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Never again !

It’s 11. 5 miles from Niagara on the Lake. The restaurant and bar were awful and the people were rude. Saw a mouse run across the floor when waiting to order dinner.

Room was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great location for outings to Niagara Falls as well as shopping

Everything anyone might expect from a hotel in this category. Indoor pool as well minutes from outlet mall and gas station. Also great location for visiting Niagara Falls. Friendly service at both check in and check out.

Relaxing time spent at this hotel.

The location was further than I expected from Niagara on the Lake but this was not a huge issue.

The beds were very comfy and you could tell that the hotel was recently renovated. The food at the restaurant was very good and the Manager's reception was a pleasant surprise.

I would stay here again happily.

High cost of breakfast. We chose not to eat there but there is really no other choice unless you drive all the way back to Niagara-on-the-lake.

M/A

Brief but comfirtable

Our fault but we didn’t realize that the hotel was a 15 min drive to Niagara on the lake

Beds were really comfy and the rooms were spacious and well appointed

Excellent location with friendly staff.

Staff were very helpful. Even though we arrived well before check in time, they allocated our rooms so we could leave our cases and head into town to explore. Jacuzzi was excellent.

My final stay at this hotel

On top of the disappointing new room decor, the cable TV was not functional during my stay and staff can not get the closing time of the breakfast room straight, causing me to miss out. I checked out a day early and will not go back.

This favorite of the past, right by the Niagara outlets, is no longer. The room renovations actually made it ugly with too many competing colors in the rooms, inadequate lighting, especially by the coffeemaker, and awful art. However, the pool is still nice, and better situated than the one at White Oaks, and the breakfast cafe is nice when it is open.

Could be better

It was not clean. There were ants in the washroom. We had to switch room. The TV remote was also not woroing and needed to be replaced. The pool had a dead fly in it.

Staff was kind and friendly. Fixed our issies promptly. The hotel was close to the outlet and good food chain options were close by.

Location was good .
    • King Room - Disability Access

parking was difficult when arriving later in the evening & especially as we required handicap parking

Location was good ... friendly staff and willing to assist you

Very good experience.

See above.

Very good experience. Only thing that we thought was disrespectful was guests going to eat still in their pajamas. Should be some type of dress code (no pajamas). This is a beautiful hotel but then you see this and kind of turns you off. As mentioned, both my husband and myself thought it was disrespectful to the hotel and their staff.

Easy check in and out.

Easy check in and out. Friendly staff, comfortable bed, large room, good water pressure, easy access from parking lot and nice outdoor space. Would recommend and would go back. Thanks

Everything you need for great stay

Room was sparkling clean, extremely quiet/soundproof and modern with lovely decor. Bed was very comfortable, temperature control was easy and the shower is amazing. Great in-room amenities--Keurig, fridge, Neutrogena bath products, good hair dryer, etc. We stayed for two nights for a wedding in Niagara on the Lake and the hotel was an easy drive away (about 15 minutes) and very convenient to White Oaks and the outlet mall. Minor billing issue was resolved quickly during check-out with sincere apologies from the staff. We did not eat on property but breakfast room/bar looked bright, clean with a good spread.

We had a great time.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating. Our server, Larry was very attentive. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful hotel. Everything was clean. The location was close to the Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake and all other tourist spots.

Would stay here again

Did not have spare roll of toilet paper in bathroom but housekeeping was very prompt to bring some when asked.

Nice hotel with nice amenities. Close to highway. Easy to get to and from anywhere around there. Lots of wineries close by and a short drive to the falls. Staff was very nice and helpful. Would stay here again.

Special request for early check-in was made for arrival...

Special request for early check-in was made for arrival between 12-1 but not able to accommodate. We arrived at 2:30 and room was still not available until 3 as per usual check-in. Everything was nicely updated but beds were way to firm. Room was clean but found spilled fluids in fridge not cleaned up and container still there.

Great staff ideal location
    • King Room - Disability Access

There was nothing to dislike about our stay, the hotel was as ideal base for our stay in Niagara on the Lake.

The staff are fantastic and made our stay really enjoyable. Alisa on reception have us some great ideas for places to visit and Larry in the bar was a font of knowledge about the area, vineyards to visit. The food was very good and again Larry was very efficient at getting our food out to us quickly. The breakfast staff were also excellent giving us lessons on how to prepare the perfect waffle, which was (even though I say so myself) amazing!!! Easy to find and well located the hotel was a best place to stay and we would come back.

Hotel far from theatres

I thought the hotel was located in the village of Niagara-on-the-Lake near the Shaw festival theatres. It's actually 13.5 km away, right next to the QEW, the highway to Toronto. It might be fine for those visiting the wineries but not for those going to the theatre.

Nothing extraordinary. I did get a handicapped bathroom, as requested.

Have stayed before and will again!

Apart from the room temperature control (noisy fan) we were delighted with our stay.

Accomodation and service were excellent. Location close to the highway and proximity to Niagara very useful

I did not find the chair in the room comfortable therefore...

I did not find the chair in the room comfortable therefore it was hard to find alternative seating other than the bed. Also I had recently had a knee replacement and I found the toilet very low to the floor

location location location. Esp doing a wine tour

I have no comment here as I was pleased with my stay and I would stay there again

The check in receptionist offered me 3 free breakfasts as I had read the booking form incorrectly. It was ambiguous and so she stepped up to the plate and gave me the breakfasts. There was no hesitation and I thought that was exceptional

Excellent stay at Hilton Niagara on the lake!

Very clean room, super comfy bed. Excellent varieties of breakfast. Facilities are kept in great shape. Very nice deco on the main floor. On the main floor, appreciated the nice touch with the free refreshing water with lemon or other types of fruits in it. Staffs are really hospital and friendly and responded request promptly. Loved our stay!

Unfulfilled for a 2nd anniversary.

Lack of food availability, no room service 4 out of 6 local pizzerias or resturants found in room manual wouldnt deliver to the hotel and 2 stated theyve already told the management to remove there ad. Our linen on our bed had not been changed prior to our stay. Strange for a 209.00 anight hotel. Robert Ravenhorst

We stayed in the newly renovated section of the hotel. Kudos to the designers. Excellent amenities and the room was bright and refreshed. I was impressed with the little details added to the room; a coffee nook with refrigerator and microwave, basket shelving in the closet, small shelves in the washroom. The staff were welcoming, even the support staff always acknowledge us. Our breakfast was excellent. The only wish I would have would be for oversized bath towels in the washroom. We had an excellent stay.

Comfortable, modern room with all the amenities

They needed more serving staff for breakfast in the restaurant. One server couldn't keep up with all the tables & requests

The lovely setting behind the pool/hot tub. The pool area was very clean and serene. It was relaxing and enjoyable to use the pool & hot tub. The hotel room was very modern & comfortable. I loved the glass shower with rain shower

The breakfast was the worst I ever had the food was cooked...

The breakfast was the worst I ever had the food was cooked hours before I could not believe that they could not get that right so I was afraid to eat dinner there

Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but Alyssa went out...

Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but Alyssa went out of her way to advise us on things to do and places to eat! She made our stay even better!!!

Overall, the hotel is very nice, clean amd up to date. Met our expectations 👍

When we checked in, they didn't say anything about when breakfast was. And they forgot to give us thr breakfast voucher.

The bed was very comfortable. Better than most hotels I've stayed at.

I think I have said it all.

Having to leave!

The staff was very accommodating, both at the desk and for meals. The room was comfortable and had a warm atmosphere. My daughter and I both agreed we could not have planned it better!!!!

We loved our visit!

The pool was a bit small so we chose to swim later and had it to ourselves.

Excellent in every way! Quiet, comfortable, affordable with free off street parking. Close to NOL and wineries.

Great stay at the Hilton

The location is very close to the Outlet Mall, and an easy drive to Niagara-on-the-Lake. The staff are so friendly and helpful; room accommodations very comfortable. Loved the pool and hot tub. There is an exercise facility but we chose the pool. There is a bar and restaurant. We had dinner there and breakfast the following morning. The food was very good. A nice relaxing time 👍🏻

Nice hotel,staff could have been more helpful

Not very quite We were put in a room directly over a wedding reception, we were not part of the wedding so perhaps we should have been put further away from the reception.

Rooms are nice, comfortable bed

Desk staff very friendly, plenty of free parking, very clean...

TV had some static, lighting dim near microwave, coffee maker, fridge area. Would suggest adding a small light there to make it easier to see when using the coffee maker, etc.

Desk staff very friendly, plenty of free parking, very clean room

A comfortable short stay .

Breakfast needs improvement . Was charges fee for room change . The original room was not equipped WiFi , was offered room change , charged layed till confronted the next day .

Room comforts , and assessories.

Great, thanks

The only thing I don't enjoy about this hotel is that the air in the rooms is dry. Most hotels are this way but perhaps something could be done.

I love the colours and the modern interiors, the trees behind the property and the friendly staff and little extras.

Hotel is average but the lobby and bar area is quite nice. Had a good breakfast.

Room location. Right off the elevators. Showers could be updated.

Bed very comfortable. Room size was as expected for a Hilton Garden Inn. More than adequate for a night stay.

A nice stay.

The bathroom in the room had been recently renovated. I seriously question your choice of toilets. The toilet height is for young children..adults would find it difficult to use comfortably. Why didn't you instal comfort height toilets instead of a children's toilet. I am sure the average age of your clients is more like 50 and over rather than 10 and under. Also, tub walls are too high for more aged clients to get over comfortably. More thought should have been put into targeting comfort of most clients rather than price.

We liked the room and the bed. The restaurant was nice. The service personnel were pleasant, friendly and were professional.

The printer in the business center wasn’t working but the...
    • King Room - Disability Access

The Internet in the room had bad connection and kept going out and most of the stations on the tv we’re fuzzy.

The printer in the business center wasn’t working but the staff at the front desk printed the documents for me right away.

The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean.
    • King Room with Whirlpool

I found the bed a bit uncomfortable, the room was cold when we got there and the tile floors in the room were freezing. Also the shower doors, the one nearest the tap does not open and is an inconvenience when you are trying to get the water started and you have to actually stand in the shower to turn it on and you either get wet with freezing cold water or too hot. Both doors should open. Also the fact that we were not told that if you book through a third party, you cannot use your rewards which I don't agree with.

The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean.

Great overall

The bed was uncomfortable And There were things on the menu that they actually didnt have and I ordered the Thai curry noodles and they were just bland noodles. But the wait staff were super friendly

The hot tub was a great addition

GREAT GETAWAY FOR A FEW DAYS.

Had to change rooms because we had no WIFI service and the reception in the second room was intermittent. Tap in our bathroom was very loose.

Great breakfast each morning, Good location. QUIET room and firm king size bed.

I didn't like that there was a wedding or some kind of...

I didn't like that there was a wedding or some kind of party happening in the conference area, and they were loud with the bass thumping until midnight. If that is going to happen, patrons should be offered a room away from the noise.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to others. Staff were amazing and hotel was clean.

There must have been a children's hockey tournament going on the weekend while we were there because there were about 10-15 kids screaming and playing throughout the entire hotel. I realize the staff could only do so much as the parent's were seldom to be seen but it was rather annoying trying to eat dinner in the restaurant and kids were screaming, hiding under all the tables, and running into us. Or when they dragged pool water throughout the hallway. Staff tried to keep up with them and it shouldn't be left to the staff to deal with that issue either but it still detracted from my experience there.

I had nothing but a great experience when interacting with the staff. They were all very friendly and the service at the front desk and in the restaurant was quick and courteous. When I had internet issues in my room they gave me a new room within 5 minutes of calling IT.

Pubic hair in the bathroom, hotel fire alarms going off, I will not be going back.
    • King Room - Disability Access

Let see at around 10pm there was a massive party downstairs that decided it was a good idea to use pyrotechnics on a birthday cake. This immediately set of the fire alarm so we had to leave the building in below freezing temperatures. Waiting outside for 15 to 20 minutes for everything to settle. The staff should have known better and to have a massive party that late in a small hotel was a very poor decision.

The rooms were perfectly clean;
    • King Room with Whirlpool

There was construction occurring in the building. I would have liked to be notified about this prior to my stay. But, other than that, the accommodation was perfect.

The rooms were perfectly clean; the bed was literally like sleeping on a cloud; the breakfast was delicious; staff was friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this accommodation to all!

Easy check in, comfy room, clean buildiig, great breakfast, easy check out.

No concerns.

Bed was one of the best we have slept on. Our 4th floor king bed room was very weĺl furnished. Buffet breakfast was $12. That was great value as they make full breakfast to order with table service. Wait staff came around with coffer refill about 5 times and chef even visited each table.

Great place for a short girls trip. Location is good across from the outlets. Breakfast was jusok.

The breakfast was just ok. Thought it would be better. Waffles were awful.

The booking.com site indicated breakfast was included for everyone. But when I arrived at the hotel my daughter and niece, both under 18, weren't included.

It was all we needed

Coupon for breakfast was not included on bill which was put under door in am. So we had to go back and have it included.a list of TV channels would be nice

I loved the makeup remover towel.

Cold room, lumpy bed

The bed was awful. It was supposed to be adjustable but it's was very lumpy. The room was freezing. Had to have the heat blasting all day so it wasn't uncomfortably cold.

All in all it was a nice comfortable place to stay just needs some work in the food area.

Breakfast the bacon was burnt could not believe the Hilton would actually serve this. The sausage was reheated not fresh and there was hair in the sugar at the self serve.

The bed was very comfortable, the room was updated homey very comfortable view was nice, the woods.

Great location between Niagra On The Lake and St. Catharines.

All staff were extremely friendly and helpful, dinner very good( Tai chicken, side salad and Rigatoni ). No complimentary breakfast but very good coffee.

Our overall stay was great.
    • King Room - Disability Access

We could not get the coffee maker in our room to work. There was no lighting in that area so that it made it difficult for us to read the instructions.

The room was perfect and very spacious. The breakfast was very tasty . The overall experience was great.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

very nice other than the blowing air from the heater
    • King Room with Whirlpool

it was very cold when we were there and unfortunately the heater just blew cold air into the room--or it felt like cold air over by the bed.--the heater should be relocated!

the bed was very nice and comfortable

Overall ok....

We called for several items to be brought up to the room, and nothing was.... The room was either too hot or too cool.... cool at 71degrees F or 76 degrees to warm up the space, no in between. I did tell the desk clerk on the way out.

The food at the Restaurant was great! We all enjoyed it.

The woman working st the front desk when we checked was so...
    • King Room with Whirlpool

The pillows were pretty awful but that's not the hotel's fault, most hotel chains just use a standard type and are never that great.

The woman working st the front desk when we checked was so incredibly kind and friendly. There was an issue as they couldn't find my reservation, for some reason it was under my mom's maiden name, and she kept apologizing even though it wasn't her fault. We eventually figured it out and she was beyond professional and kind. The room was also extremely clean!

Wonderful and exceeded expectations
    • King Room with Whirlpool

Staff were awesome. After my partner flew in from out of the country at 5:30 am, they allowed us to check in hours early, into a different room to get some sleep, while our room was being prepared. The $20 fee for this extra service was more than fair and so appreciated!

Convenient location for the QEW, restaurants and shops.

Blowflies were present in the room on several occasions. I deliberately left the dead carcasses on the windowsill and none were cleared away during our 3 day stay. When checking in the hotel’s records showed that breakfast was not included. Fortunately I had a printed copy of my reservation which showed otherwise. I needed to present the printout and the hotel staff immediately made the relevant changes to their records.

The included breakfast was very good. Apart from the flies (see below) the room was comfortable.

The hotel is in a great location if you are shopping at the...

When we checked in they tried to tell us that our room didn't include breakfast so we had to bring up our confirmation on our phone to show it was. The staff were otherwise friendly. The elevator had a plywood floor and had duck tape keeping the button board on the wall and duck tape was also on the corners of the elevator, it felt unsafe. The heater and fridge were very loud and the bed was not very comfortable. When checking out i asked for the receipt to be sent by email, the girl told me the email on the account which was not mine or my husbands. I gave her my email and have still not received an email receipt.

The hotel is in a great location if you are shopping at the outlet mall nearby. The back of the property is beautiful overlooking trees, fields and a marsh-like area.

Well worth it!

The dinner menu looked great but the food was not very good. Just did not work together. Goat Cheese Flatbread was a soggy mess. Baja messy not really cooked well.

Breakfast was great. Nice Facility. Location to the wineries super and the outlet mall was super.

Nice quick stay in Niagara for wineries & shopping

Breakfast was not included in the price and I felt it a bit pricey for a buffet. Would be nice to see all hotels using the 3 sheet duvet method rather than comforters, it gives more the impression of a clean and crisp bed linen.

Great location for us near wineries and outlet shopping. Parking & Internet were free. Beds were comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was spacious and had all the commodities.