Reviews of Hotel Bonaventure Montreal 4 stars

900 de La Gauchetiere West, H5A 1E4 Montréal, Canada

#51 of 134 hotels in Montréal

it would have been nice to have bottles of water in the room even if we had to pay for them.

heated pool, staff was very nice, it was clean, room was nice and bed comfortable.

The info desk - Omar super helpful in providing a map and advising where to go. Had dinner at bar 2 nights and staff very friendly and food delicious. Loved view of greenery from the room.

The advertize was as for a hotel but in fact is not a hotel. Horrible!

Nothing. The price was for a 5* unfortunately the hotel wasnt even a 3*. What a shame!

Very nice hotel with gardens (with ducks and koi) on the top floor of a building. Friendly staff from doorman to reception. Very comfortable bed and very clean. Nice bar, did not try the restaurant.

I booked this hotel as a gift for my sister and her partner who were visiting me in Montreal. They had a fantastic time. I made a few phonecalls in the lead up to their stay and everyone I dealt with was extremely helpful. Would definitely book again.

The heated pool when it's cold, is perfect. Also the view, seeign buildings and rooftops at night it's so an amazing feeling. We felt so relax for 2 days, thank you so much :)

Oliver, Anthony, Yale. All front desk staff. Also the concierge (name escapes me now). Helped us secure dinner reservations last minute at Verses Bistro (so great) and they were fun and energetic. Everyone working there was helpful, polite. Katherine front desk AM helped us watch the Royal Wedding very early in the lobby. Simon at the bar was patient and made excellent drinks. We were there for a retirement celebration weekend (4 of us). The Bonaventure was the perfect home and home base. We loved it!

There was an arm chair in the corner of the room which could have used a good vacuum. Had I stayed longer I would have asked for it. Customers should be aware that the hotel takes a deposit of $50 off your credit card at check-in. This is standard and is to cover any incidentals like room service. It confused me briefly though when I saw the pending charge on my Visa that was $50 more than my bill at check-out. Just a heads up. It gets adjusted by Visa once the charge goes through.

The hotel is super conveniently located near the Via train station. (I arrived by train so I can't comment on parking). It's a bit unconventional in that the entrance is not right on the street but there is a pretty clear sign, and as you walk in you have to take an elevator up to the lobby, but once you're there, it's great. It's a penthouse style hotel with everything on the same level, more or less. The hotel was built for Expo 67, so it's older but the decor in the public places is extra funky mid-century modern - a nice touch. The walk to my room even reminded me a bit of a Frank Lloyd Wright design. The room itself is right up to date though, with all the modern features like a fridge, safe, ironing board, lots of outlets to charge your devices, etc. The bed and bedding were comfortable. There is a heated pool and garden as well as lots of seating available. I was only there for one night so I didn't get to take advantage of all the amenities but I hope to be back. Checkout was easy-peasy too. Bill through the door at an early hour so one can dash out with no fuss.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Clearly the design of this hotel harkens back to the 60's and 70's heyday of Montreal. The rooms are modern and great, but perhaps a refresh of the gardens is due. We LOVED the gardens, so keep them, just maybe update the landscaping and prevent the smokers from accessing them. The occasional cigarette butt was a shame, and there were too many.

The rooftop garden patio and heated pool is a real treat. I understand it is accessible in the winter which is pretty cool. The gardens and full grown mature trees are a surprise and refuge after a fun day in Montreal. The rooms were modern and clean. We included breakfast with our stay and it was decent. Nothing made to order, but a friendly staff and lots of hot and cold options, including real Montreal bagels, so that was also a plus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was so comfortable The staff the amazing The facilities The quite Everything was perfect! Wished we could have stayed there for longer The experience for that night

I felt like the old guy at the front desk was not that polite, especially to the large group of Chinese people that had arrived too early for check in. Was very curt and abrupt with them. I hope they don't leave Canada thinking this is how all 'Canadians' behave (more just Quebecois behave rudely), kind of embarrassing.

Bed and Pillows were awesome Pool was gorgeous but could have been a bit warmer with the constant rain

• Queen Room

!!!!!We had to pay for sliders which was very ridiculous!!!!! So Bring your OWN slipper! Room service wasn't very good. Food wasn't taste very nice. Bathrooms are too small!!! Not the bath tub but space in general!

Pool and jacuzzi was amazing! Personal were quite friendly and kind. Hotel is very big and look nice in general!

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Parking is expensive and difficult but it's like that throughout all of Montreal.

The concier Virginia was the absolute best she helped us with dinner reservations local attractions can't imagine a vacation without her assistance.

The mattress needed to be replaced. The bathroom is a bit small compared to the room. Sorry didn't have time for the pool.

This hotel is excellent, very well located with access to the underground city, shops, restaurants, attractions, subway and train station, which allows to visit Montreal every season. The staff provides information about the city, activities and events nearby. The rooms are well decorated, spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. We had a nice view to downtown and the river. The ventilation system works fine. The restaurant is nice and the breakfast is excellent. The service is very good. Everybody seems to enjoy the heated outdoors pool!

Bathroom could be larger. Hot water was cloudy white.

Since we arrived by train, hotel was a perfect location. Deluxe King room was spacious and bed comfortable.

Bathroom could be larger. Hot water was cloudy white.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was at this facility for 2 nights with my husband and my 2 young adults sons... The spa, the heated pool outside, the staff, the room, the breakfast - everything was really just simply awesome. It was a very cold weekend outside... hey! no worries...33km of indoor underground tunnel of shops, restaurants and easy access to the most important of the downtown area!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I appear to have been hacked during my stay, or so I believe. Your wi-fi is open to anyone, and it is very possible crooks are sitting around waiting for hotel clients to log i=on in order to hack them. You should really look into it. What's so hard about having a proprietary wi-fi system for guests that requires a password?

My husband felt that the bed was not supportive enough for someone of his weight, 220 lbs. He felt like he was rolling off the edge. Wish I would have been told that you have to order your robes to be delivered to your room for the pool. I was unable to get one at the pool or at the front desk! My child was yelled at for running through the lobby. He got excited, it only lasted 10 seconds before we could get to him. Feel like they should be a little more kid friendly. In fact staff could be more friendly period, but this is Montreal, so par for the course. Also parking our truck was a problem. We had to park in a lot on another street otherwise it would cost us an extra $100 to park across from the hotel in an outdoor lot.

Great location. Attached to underground mall and not too far of a walk to old Montreal. We all loved the pool, which was well used by guests. Fun to swim outside at this time of year!

Three computers, only one can connect to the printer, which is very inefficient. The lady manager had a bad attitude in order to help in printing ONE important document for my interview.

The location is great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

More clean is better. After using swimmpool and room my wife get infection eching on face and hand. She said it was very derty.

Nice location and good food

Malfunction of jacuzzi ruined my evening on my birthday . There should have being s nite not to be used . I was completely splash with string jet in my face and hair I had paid a day before to celebrate my birthday that same night. March 30.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Unfortunately there was a large convention that we weren't made aware of until we arrived, and it meant an extremely crowded bar/restaurant that we were never able to try out, and long waits in other areas.

The garden and courtyard were incredibly nice, even for the winter. The beds were also very comfortable, and the location was unbeatable.

• Queen Room

The bed was extra soft. The night view from our room was very nice. Right next to old Montreal and everywhere very walkable. Lots of restaurants to choose from in the area.

This hotel is like a resort in the middle of a city. We appreciated the wonderful forest and stream landscaping outside that created this ambiance. It is very unique to be able to swim outside year round. The management has obviously gone to great trouble and expense to pull this off. Bravo!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lots of loose gravel around the pool. If you are not wearing something on your feet stepping on the loose rocks in the concrete su#*s! You would think they would sweep it off now and then. The bottom of the hot tub was full of small pebbles because of this. Also the bar service was super slow. They were very nice but were more interested in joking with each other than serving drinks to customers.

The location and the outside headed pool was very nice. The duck pond was also cool. Friendly staff also made for a nice visit.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

I did not find the room to be as nice as the pictures. Also too expensive for the small room we got. I was also not happy that there was an audio conference that took up the whole lobby. It was hard to get to and from my room.

I did like the staff, very friendly

On the minus side: there was no fan / exhaust in the bathroom and we couldn't get parking information online before we arrived so we couldn't plan that part of our budget. The hotel and city/ other taxes on our final invoice was also a bit of a surprise. Between the taxes and the valet parking, our final bill was $200 more than we booked for at home. I would like more transparency. Also, the construction made it a bit of a challenge to navigate around the city.

On the plus side: the pillows and beds were comfy and we liked the outdoor heated pool. The valets were very helpful and courteous. We liked being close to the highway and the underground city was a bonus in getting around without having to go outside.

• Queen Room

The cocktails at the bar were really poor. We would have spent more time lounging over drinks during our stay if the drinks had been better and more varied.

This place is every bit as advertised. Prime location, great pricing, clean and comfortable rooms, and lovely atmosphere. The pool is fantastic too.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

tv! poor connection and cumbersome and slow to use. too much chlorine in the pool although the evening experience outside in the pool was very cool.

Quiet room the first night but terrible the next - couple down the hall was arguing into the early hours. access to taxi and location to train and metro was fantastic.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

I thought the food choices in the hotel we’re not the greatest little bit overpriced compared to other restaurants that we went to. The parking it was a busy weekend so we ended up on the seventh floor and we had to take two elevators to get to our room is kind of weird

I really liked the pool the friendly staff

Room could have been cleaner; bathroom was small; some ants in bathroom but staff reacted quickly to get rid of them.

Staff were excellent; pool was great fun; Executive Lounge was very good

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Movie channel didnt work properly and limited English explaining,no cattle for hot water,only one black tea packet and no sugar,the shower tap is not good,

Pool

• Queen Room

The hotel certainly didn't seem to be for anyone with any walking disabilities. There were steps everywhere and no lifts or escalators in many of the locations there needed to be. No Wi-Fi in the rooms or lobby as advertised. Very confusing path out of the train station.

The location was convenient.

Stairs to most rooms not that easy with luggage. Suppose could wait for concierge.

Terrific location. Excellent staff. Very nice room and bath. Very good restaurant.

It could have been cleaner, the staff could have been friendlier, aside from the man who checked me in, he was accommodating and kind, but overall I felt a little out of place in a huge hotel

The bed was like falling into an instant dream after a long day... if only it fit in my suitcase ....

The breakfast was fairly expensive for what you get. I got a bagel with cream cheese for 9.85 and a coffee for 3.50 (filter coffee). The waiter insisted that I take he buffet because it was a better deal (23$), which is way to much food for me in the morning. The service at the restaurant wasn't great. The waiter was nice, but extremely slow.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The concierge didn't really know what to recommend. We had two kids and they sent us to two swanky, business type bar/restaurant. We wound up going to a cute French restaurant and then to Montreal a Lumiere street festival - super fun with the kids!

The outdoor swimming pool in the middle of February was the reason we went - to try a new experience.

I had a necklace in a drawer in our room that mysteriously went missing, but other than that the whole experience was amazing.

The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. The room service was great (I highly reccomened the breakfast) and swimming in the heated pool at night was so cool, especially with the snow all around us.

• Queen Room

Beautiful hotel, close to everything, underground easy access to anywhere you wanna go.. rooftop pool was to die for.. restaurant food was good.. No complaints what so ever. Staff was so helpful and polite, very happy with our stay will definitely be going back

It’s sad to leave the place.

I liked the friendliness of the staff and it’ a very convenient location. We went there for dance competition and the facilities were execellent.

A bit outdated

It has a great outdoor heated pool and hot tub. You can acces many places from the underground without going outside. A bonus in winter time

• King Room with Sofa Bed

We came to Montreal for a romantic weekend away and the hotel felt more like a business trip hotel. There was a conference taking place and it was very busy. The TV only has pay to view options and yes we were out exploring most of the time but it would have been nice to put the news on in the morning. The coffee machine in our room was also painfully slow.

The location for this hotel was excellent and the staff were pretty friendly.

The cold weather lol!

Yes, the bed absolutely was like a cloud. 3 sisters in Montreal to celebrate one sister's 60th birthday. Loved how close it was to VIA and that we could walk everywhere. Even with NAFTA going on (which we didn't know) it was a wonderful stay. We didn't even notice the cameras most of the time, but we did notice the extra security :)

Make sure if you have a car above the clearance limit to park somewhere else. Valet parking is outdoors and the valet staff could not be more unhelpful.

The pool is absolutely incredible and the outside views are truly unique

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

there was a mini bar type fridge that did not work well and we were disapponted that the there was no program information on the Tv so you had to surf through all the stations to find something to watch and wait through commercials to see what was on. We ended up turning it off.

bed was comfortable. nice room. the service was fine and friendly. the restaurant looked lovely but we did not use it due to allergies. beautiful pool it was fun swimming outdoors in january in a heated pool. loved the ducks on the pond

The hotel being from the 70s, the renovated room and bathroom are small by today's standard. What it doesn't have in individual rooms is offset by a unique set of public spaces around courtyards.

The courtyards and the heated outdoor pool is very special. This hotel is on top of a large office building, but feels like a two-story hotel set in a lush garden while being in the center of the city's downtown. Location, parking, and connection to the underground makes this hotel very convenient. Excellent value.

noisy next doors in the middle of the night yelling with the front desk at midnight and order delivery at 1am thx!! and weird noise interrupted our sleep at night from some kind of machine. the bed is comfy, nice outdoor pool, location is good close to everything by mins walk, friendly door man especially Daniel ( You are the best ) Staffs are friendly except 1 guy.

Main Restaurant is not great for food! I give it a 5/10.

Location is perfect when you need city access and you are not driving. Comfy bed. Spacious.

Wait staff was understaffed when busy at breakfast and bar after the game Not told about free wi fi

Location Beds/Pillows were extra comfy Cleanliness of room and overall facility Doormen were there to lend a hand and give directions Elevated breakfast menu

They allowed a bunch of very young people to book a suite down the hall. They partied and screamed all night. Puked in the hot tub, which was then shut down. We did not get to use the hot tub our entire vacation.

The extra special touches, the dessert in our room for our anniversary.

Renovations in room next door started at 7 am, couldn't sleep once that started.

Good location if you are taking the train. Otherwise it remains pretty central to the downtown area. Used to be a Hilton, rooms are nice but you can see signs of slacking off on maintenance.

Several TV channels were scrambled. The problem was not fixed by the time we left. Channel listing on TV was wrong. The desk staff did not know the TV channel listing either. I found the channel I needed by accident. There were not enough glasses in the room. The tub and shower did not drain properly.

Good sized room, good lighting in bathroom, large TV, good access to underground malls. Liked the fridge.

We drove in a truck. Didn’t know we had to pay $40 to park. Ended up having to park 2 blocks away and walk back to the hotel in the freezing cold . & because of that, we couldn’t use the truck for the rest of the stay or we would have to pay to park again. If I would of known this prior to booking , I would of went somewhere else .

Very friendly staff .

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Corridor was messy and carpeting not clean. Was a very busy hallway at all times.

Pool was fun with kids. Beds comfortable and clean. Breakfast was nice in the restaurant. Check in and out was seamless.

Honestly everything was perfect

The customer service was excellent,the hotel is well situated in downtown.The outside heated pool is wonderful very special in winter to be outside swimming with all the snow around it's romantic.If we will return,for sure because it's a special place now for my wife and me

Rooms were cold and you can’t order anything at late hours there isn’t even a single vending machine so if you get thirsty ay night good luck also restaurant was terrible specially the my waiter

Outdoor pool was really nice but needs more cleaning

Two pizza boxes with old pizza inside were sitting behind the curtain when we checked in. They were hidden from the housekeeper so its understandable, but not a desirable thing to see when checking in.

Service was impeccable. Outdoor heated pool in the middle of winter was a fun and novel experience.

• Queen Room

Long walking distance to get to hotels'guest rooms and rather noisy, bustling with many corporate events and functions.

The ambience,spacious room and nice panoramic views of the city.

The room had a funky smell that took awhile to dissipate (not quite cleaned properly). The walls don't block out any sound so we could hear everything our neighbours were saying.

The outdoor pool was surprisingly comfortable in -30C weather and definitely an added treat. The staff at reception seemed to recognize us even though we only stayed one night and there were hundreds of guests coming and going.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Room didn't seem as clean upon arrival as I would have liked. The sofa bed needed fresh sheets. Didn't look vacuumed. Throughout the stay it was better though.

Pool amazing, location to the metro

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were a little hard, and we booked as a group, but our rooms were no where near each other, and staff didn't help us move closer together.

The heated outdoor pool is a neat idea.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

the stairs!! the maze! rooms should have entrance mats in winter.

The pool is awesome. could be hotter though. Loved how you can walk in the underground city without ever going outside...from the hotel!! perfect central location. Awesome hospitality. could be cleaner. bar in reception is awesome!! great food and drinks. ducks on the property are cool! HATE the maze of stairs to get to the rooms...crazy long walks everywhere...which was the only crappy part.

Bed was super comfy. The people at the front desk were very professional and helpful. Access to the pool (bathrooms/change room and entrance) needed to be freshened up.

Wasnt clean when i arrived, had to get room cleaned again. Doesnt even have basic cable, $15 for a movie thats been on google for 5 years. Cant evenplug my own laptop in to watch a movie. Loud bulbs and a/c that u can hear in bed at night. Overall bad experience, wasted my money not satisfied

It was perfect for what we needed!

Really great hotel in the heart of the city! The pool was an amazing experience! Especially in -20! Hotel Bonaventure was 2 minutes from a perfect indoor skating rink! Lots of great food choices in the area. Parking was a breeze and rooms were very comfortable. The hotel staff was so nice and accommodating!

While checking in late at night the reception didn’t inform that the taxes for Quebec are 19% for hotels (which visitors don’t know) and didn’t inform how much extra a night they will put in my credit card as a way to check if the card has enough balance. I guess this is regular for all hotels but they could have made it clear that this would happen.

The hotel is situated in a very convenient place around 3 min walk to the central station, multiple restaurants and still is very quiet and peaceful. Would definitely come back

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Parking rules not explained properly. Paid 22 to self park, but would be charged by the half hour if car taken out. We found out before dinner, had to re-park and wait for taxi which made us late for our dinner reservations and annoyed the family waiting for us at the restaurant causing friction. Not a good thing on Christmas Eve. Parking should allow person to come and go as they please.

The upgrade came in handy as my adult daughter had more privacy

Old facility, renovations needed in rooms, paint stains and dust on room doors, extension cords coming out of walls in room

The all-year round heated pool

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Need to climb stairs from lobby to room, which is not friendly to family with strollers. Some rooms have connecting doors to the other room and this caused poor soundproofing.

Heated outdoor pool in winter is definitely awesome!

We booked 2 rooms interconnecting for space and comfort. However, the noise from the lifts was incredible - was like a train was running through your room all night long. In addition, as the rooms we're on the walkway to reception, it was incredibly noisy from people! the rooms were tired, bathroom small. Hot tub not running, pool was no warmed up enough to enjoy.

The location and staff were very helpful

There are no elevators to go to the rooms which made getting luggage to the room very difficult. Also breakfast left a lot to be desired.

Location was close to public transportation and central.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioning system didn’t make the room warm at all. Hot water took long time to come after turning the hot water tap.

Its lobby is really beautiful!

There was a loud banging noise, like thunder every 5 mins. during our 1st night's stay. therefore, we did not get any sleep. As a result, our next day was cut short due to exhaustion and we missed an important activity and shortened the next night's activity

The bed was comfortable and the room was big

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Size of TV not big enough and hotel service book( with menu restaurant ) and all info about hotel service was not in a room. It took 30 min after my request and the staff bring it to us. The service clerk told - it was so long because he was looking for the book in other empty rooms????

We like the location of this hotel a lot! Sweeming pool just great! Staff very friendly! Underground parking is easy and also underground shopping around. The room is big and clean. Beds are very comfortable.

Browse Hotel Bonaventure Montreal traveller photo gallery