Reviews of Bluenose Inn & Suites 2 stars

636 Bedford Highway, B3M 2L8 Halifax, Canada

#36 of 38 hotels in Halifax

5.9

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

Toliet could only be flushed by removing top lid but at least it worked!! place is old and certainly could use some updates.

we had two rooms this was nice for space

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were small and old. Maybe some renovations needed!!! We also did not have a fridge or microwave in our room.

It was close to the place where we need to be. It was clean and the staff was great. The restaurant was good and also the price was great.

• Queen Room

Bathroom could use an update but otherwise everything worked

The room was clean, it had fridge, free cable, and free wifi definitely worth a stay, I certainly enjoyed it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Property could use some updates, switch covers missing, no ironing board in the room, toilet ran constantly... my husband fixed it. Smoking pots outside every door was not appealing.

Girl at check in was friendly, allowed us to check in a bit early to change before we headed to the wedding we were there to attend

• Queen Room

Part tub. Very flimsy. Water went from hot to cold. Then too hot. All without touching anything. Staff not on site 24/7. Loud music, drunks, harassed by a guy claiming to be the night manager. My companions were terrified.

It kept us dry. Tv worked.

• Queen Room

It was very dirty and run down. The bath tub had a cover over it and it was poorly installed. There were bugs and the floor was filthy. The tv had to be set manually. And we couldn't even get a discount for the troubles. I am very disappointed and will not be returning.

• Queen Room

Times of checking out and the bed

I think I'm more upset that we got in at 4 am and only had 8 hours for 170.00. I wish that when you check in you can check out the same time next day. Also my grandparents stayed 2 weeks prior when the pool was waiting for a part to warm the water and there beds were soft and mine was hard. With checking in so late I had hoped for a better sleep. Especially where we came in so late and had to leave so soon other than that service was great.

• Queen Room

We booked this place because it was close to where we needed to be for a very early morning meeting. Breakfast in the Inns restaurant was included in the price. However, at opening time the place was dark and empty with no obvious staff. When brought to the attention of the front desk person, who was 6 Ft from the dark and locked door, they were 'surprised'. So no breakfast available before we had to leave. Not impressed!!! And no offer of compensation.

It was clean and comfortable and the location was fine for our purpose. Price was appropriate for the level of accommodation.

• Queen Room

The high pitch of the water pipes, outlets hanging from ceiling, rusty bathtub, could see daylight through the door, and I have pics to prove it. We stayed in room 15

Comfy beds

Wifi was not great.

The restaurant was excellent. The room was well equipped, I.e., fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Nice to have laundry facilities too.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only dislike was the local restaurants closing so early. My Family & I arrived in Bedford at 8pm and by the time we were ready to eat at 9pm, everything was closed - on a Friday night at that. Aside from that, Bedford is a nice area... just don't get hungry after 9pm.

The motel is a bit out dated, however, in my opinion the price couldn't be beat. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were very clean and the clerk at the front desk was extremely helpful and kind. I've stayed here multiple times and I'll definitely continue to stay here in the future.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

Could hear everyone around me not quite at all, had to clean the bathroom myself when i arrived as the shower was full of dirt and grim,garbage was only changed once while we were there, there was a gap under our door so had to crank the heat at night cause it was freezing, to say the lest i wont be staying there again

Close to everything,about a ten min drive to walmart and grocery store, lots of stores close, staff was friendly

• Queen Room with Three Queen Beds

the room wasnt clean mold on ceiling noisy upstairs people till 3 am the bed smell like pee and some nose scrap on the wall the remote wasnt working for tv

the food and the staff

• Queen Room

The room was a bit funky, had a smell and the wall was peeling. When we arrived, the bed was dirty. We found hair and crumbs under the blankets. we arrived at 1230 at night so i couldnt just ask to get another room. My kid was tired so i decided to call the next morning, i didnt complain about the dirty bed, just simply asked for a bigger room. and that couldnt be done. Because none were available.

I liked the friendly service and the location was good.

• Queen Room

Really, for the price, I have nothing to complain about. The parking was free. The view was pretty. We had a warm, dry, clean place to sleep.

This was a basic hotel, nothing fancy. But it was clean, comfortable, and an easy drive to restaurants and activities while costing less than $100, taxes in. We also loved that we could walk out of our door into Cafe l'Acadie, where we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at 15% off.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

The room lacked cleanliness, although it wasn't the original room chosen for us, all rooms should be clean in case of unexpected arrivals. Had a kitchenette, but it was lacking in kitchen materials, no utensils, dishes. TV kept losing volume, cables are old, curtains on windows we not completely attached. Very disappointed in our stay

Bed was comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

If room booked hadnt had water damage but got room we originally wished to book but hadnt been available. And we dont usualy eat breakfast so complimentary anything breakfast wasnt benefit to us and were told we would get express passes or something but staff didnt know anything about it when we checked out plus original room cost more than one we ended up and never got compensated

Staff

• Queen Room

The room was nothing like the picture given when booking the room. The bathtub was half the size of a normal tub and the water temperature was difficult to adjust comfortably, also the shampoo and conditioner we were given was previously used.

Location, friendly staff

• Queen Room

No blanket on the bed, cramped bathroom, heavy smell of smoke in the room although it is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. Desk clerk couldn't find my reservation (make with Booking.com - with a confirmation. Argh.

The restaurant was good, friendly people and good food.

• Queen Room

Restocking of Coffee etc in the room, it was not done everyday.

The room we had was more Motel but it was ideal for us. Had very little interaction with staff, although they were there if an issue occurred. The very best part is the small very friendly independently run Restaurant attached to the reception area. Food is superb, staff are attentive and very polite.

• Queen Room

Front desk closes at 5pm, waited 15 minutes for staff to arrive to check in. Room was dirty, others staying at property were drinking excessively and partying in the parking lot until after 1am which was very noisy and no one staffing front desk to complain to. The property does not even have an ice machine.

There was nothing to like about this property

• Queen Room

Location is far away from everything. You need a car.

Very friendly staff. The man at the reception let me use his computer and printer and gave me advise where to eat, even printed out directions of how to get there. The lady in the restaurant is a sweetheart. Great comfortable beds, large rooms.

• Queen Room

The wifi was not working on my trip which would have been useful for getting work done as I was attending on business, but understandably not the fault of the inn. The restaurant did close fairly early though.

The bed was extremely comfy and the shower very roomy! Perfect space for just a one night stay when you need somewhere to sleep. The TV channel options were great and there was a great pizza place just down the road, Martha's.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

The screen was out of the window and the window was wide open when I arrived. Place felt old and dated but seemed clean. There was no cable so the t.v. didn't work. The night time worker was 'unhelpful' when I was in need of some ice late in the evening to treat an injury from earlier in the week, he was rather short and I was unsure who was answering the phone when he answered

The woman who checked me in was wonderful. Helpful and very kind. Close to the down town. A bit further then I would have liked but the morning view was pretty

• Queen Room

Bed was not as firm as we like and our bathroom was very small.

Continental breakfast was good, room very clean, staff were excellent. Liked having a parking space.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

One bed had to be changed since it had dirty sheets.. And bathroom was dirty.( hair in the tub and past guest face cloth was still hanging on the shower curtain rod. The lady from The front desk came and cleaned it. She ended up giving us a small discount when we checked out. Likely won't stay here again.

It's ok for an older hotel.. Staff was great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Almost everything. No fridge in the room, smoke smell. Our room was far from the office, parking is not close to the room. Our card stop working too early in the morning, so we had to travel back to the office after breakfast to program it again.

• Queen Room

1)Tv cable was not working and it took like an hour for them to fix it 2) Poor signal with WIFI- we have not used it as we cant connect 3) There was a different person with the check out- I already psid the night before- 88.73 and this lady was charging me again and insisted instead of trying first to find my receipt. She punched in 99.99- as if Inwas double charged with tax- repeated I already paid the night prior- then she found my receipt- and apparently charged a different card. And tried to blame it on the other staff for the mishap! 4) Continental breakfast nit appealing!

Location was good and the price was ok! Comfortable too and you can park just infront of the room

• Queen Room

Very noisy guests in rooms below us but quietened down by 10pm, sound travels here.

Very accommodating as Booking.com had shown our original room as suitable for 3 persons but the hotel kindly changed the room for no additional charge. Very helpful.

• Queen Room

We could not close the bathroom door, but we reported it.

The mood was very welcoming. This motel was built in the 1950s so was not of latest design, but we were very satisfied as we had value for price paid.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our bathroom was never cleaned properly. There was someone's hair the day we arrived and was still there our last day. When people above us we're making far too much noise at 10 PM - that kept our kids awake - the response from the front desk was it's too bad. Floors are wooden. We just had to deal with it. Plus on our first day one of our beds was not even made.

• Queen Room

Customer service just wasn't there with either of the ladies at the front desk (especially the one at check in) and the gentleman for the restaurant (cold conntential breakfast) was the absolute worse! Also I booked a single queen room and we had a double instead.

it was a quiet place to stay. The price was right and the rooms were clean.

• Queen Room

I was not able to check in as no one was at the front desk, waited around 15-20 min and I rang the desk bell 4x and called the GM which just ended up ringing at the check in desk... left a frusterated VM and went to next closest hotel I could find. Lobby looked really dingy and no one to check people in or any kind of sign or note about if would be back soon etc...

• Queen Room

Mold in bathroom No ventilation Felt like a cave Tub taps confusing thus danger of burning one self Blanket old Needs to be completely renovated Parking awkward They offered breakfast but limited what could be taken ; fruit was watermelon that looked old

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was dingy with stains on the carpet, and the paint was peeling from the ceiling above one of the beds. Musty smell in the room and dead bugs on the window sill. Very untidy room. Our room was beside the laundry facilities and was very nosy.

• Queen Room

The parking area could be better.The rooms could be a little brighter.

It was a convenient location. The food and the staff at the restaurant were excellent.

• Queen Room

There was a musty smell in the room.

The owner was very friendly and extra helpful, gave us many tips on how to navigate and what to see on our voyage.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

I had specifically asked for a ground floor room as my wife uses a cane and has mobility issues. we were put in a second floor room with many outdoor stairs to climb with many levels- not what we asked for. We received a reply back from the motel saying no problem for ground floor. At no time was it mentioned that no suites were ground floor units as this is what we booked. Upon arrival we found the room was on a second level with many stairs with multiple levels. Complained to evening person who said she would switch us next day. This next room was also on upper level. Went to day desk clerk and was told no suites on ground floor- so why were we told no problem for what we booked through booking.com. All in all not good service for getting what we booked.If they had no ground floor suites why not tell us that yes there are ground floor rooms but not what we were booked, then we would have looked elsewhere.

the location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dirty windows, 2 police cruisers arrived for the person staying next to us, monthly room rates, rusty bathtub drain, rusty electric heater, rugs looked old and dirty, electrical outlet loose and unsafe. We had requested two beds, but they were not located in the same room. A wall separated them with a doorway for access. The shingles were peeling off the roof. It was raining and the eavestrough was pouring water on us and into our trunk as we were trying to unload the trunk. We could not control water temp in shower.

Staff were friendly.

The property was old and run down, obviously the owners did not want to invest a lot of money there.

The staff were great and very helpful to travelers.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place is very old & rundown. Non smoking room smelled of smoke. Felt like I was in a cave. Toilet was plugged. There was no water pressure in the shower. Very noisy, didn't get much sleep.

The guy at the front desk was friendly

• Queen Room

The Wi-Fi sucked. The tub was built for midgets. The toilet was so close to the sink that you had to sit on it sideways. No lawn chairs or ashtray outside door. No 24 hour staff.

I liked the price. Plenty of space for our 9 year old's air mattress and had we had our 14 month old with us, there would have been lots of room for his play own as well.

• Queen Room

The continental breakfast could have been set up a bit more user friendly. Water temperature fluctuated at times during showering, but otherwise was ok.

The room was very clean and smelled fresh. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating especially since I was travelling solo with a toddler. Parking was right outside our motel door which made things very easy. You can tell that the building is old, but the cleanliness and updated décor made up for it.

• Queen Room

There's a lovely little restaurant onsite that offers wonderful breakfasts. I assume the lunches and dinners are delicious too, although I didn't have the pleasure. As an older woman, travelling alone, I felt very comfortable here. It was a very short drive to downtown Halifax.

• Queen Room

The television sound was off. LAMP,HAIR DRYER WERE BROKE. BEDS WERE LIKE LAYING ON A CEMENT PAD. The shower was hot,then no water then cold. Water temperature went up and down as well as the water pressure. The outside climb of stairs construction near to unsafe. This hotel is on it's last leg.

Restaurant & the manager Deb was very friendly and helpful. Made up for the run down hotel.

• Queen Room

The room was dated, my girlfriend and I booked reservations for a queen bed, and when checked in and got to the room I found it was 2 double sized beds, they couldn't give us another room because they were booked soild, I was NOT impressed and they did nothing about. No discount or comp the room, that will be my last stay there!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about local attractions. Good location, easy enough for out of towners like us to get to and from while exploring the city.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were uncomfortable. The outlets were very loose, which is a fire hazard. The watermelon from breakfast (served at 7am, we went to eat at 8am) was slimy!! overall a terrible experience. Would not book here again.

• Queen Room

My ONLY complaints would be: • that it took approximately 10 minutes for me to be greeted at reception (while ringing the bell for service); • the shower temperature was all over the place! I went from being freezing to nearly scalded in seconds. It was a cautious process 😂

Nice and quiet and clean! I wasn't aware there was a continental breakfast, before when I booked so that was a nice bonus!

• Queen Room

Faucet broken in the sink, no hand rails or bath mats in the tub, no glasses, only paper ones, chairs outside were dirty, could not sit in them without giving them a scrub. Mimi-fridge made an awful racket and looked like it had never been defrosted.

Staff and the restaurant were great.

• Queen Room

-the tub is only 3ft long, the toilet is practically under the sink so careful when you stand up -the tub is not secure to the floor air underneath - the office door is locked at 5 pm you have to ring and wait for someone to show up - parking lot is straight up hill off main road and has large pot holes - found hair in the tub so bathroom was not cleaned properly - could hear room next doors music till well after midnight -staff were not very friendly I felt like I was bothering them

-that i does have drive up units but you do have to ask for them -it has tv ,fridge and microwave - they do have a continental breakfast - they are close to the water and a nice park - there is shopping not to far away

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lack of general maintenance of property ....one of our rooms had no a/c unit at all....bathrooms need serious upgrading...sink drain sluggish so sink fills when water running..etc etc ...burnt out light bulbs...just generally below expectations...we understand this property is going to be demolished for a high rise condo so it's probably reduced the owner's motivation to please the public

Staff were helpful and restaurant food was pretty good

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only downside was that the hotel was outdated, aside from that it was very affordable and clean. I'll definitely stay there again.

The motel was only a short drive from Halifax and there were many shopping & dining options within a 5 minute drive from the motel. The young lady at the front desk was very polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Ceiling light as you walk in room burnt out! Two out of three bulbs in bathroom also out!. Stains on floor. Pillows were very uncomfortable as was the bed.

About the only thing I liked was the location!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Queen Room

Even with the furnace cranked all day, the room was freezing cold. We had to request a space heater which did very little to make up for the cold coming in from the boarded-up room next to ours.

The price was good

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Queen Room

Extra care in cleaning the bathroom floor and corners of the tiles is recommended.

The Bluenose was an excellent location for us since we were visiting people in Lower Sackvillle, Bedford and Halifax.

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

The room was dirty. Toilet seat broken. Bathroom door knob falling off. Bed comforters need to be replace. I won't be staying there again. Our neighbors were quite loud at 230am. I asked for an extra set of linen for pull out coach and they brought me a bed skirt.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Mini fridge

Desk clerk, Rachel so helpful and friendly. Attended to us promptly and friendly. Room smelled very clean and was very neat. Not fancy but everything we needed. Only prob mini fridge was ancient. I had a bag of raw veggies that froze because the tiny freeze met had no door and everything froze. Little problem. We'd stay again

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

slow service in dining room waitress not attentive to needs, etc. Water, stopped by once , we requested more butter, said she would get it and did not bring any had to wait for check close to 10 minutes.

bed comfortable room very clean very beautiful view

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Plumbing, flooring, TV remote missing. Staff did their best with limited resources.

Staff great. Owner won't make necessary upgrades. Property to be torn down to make an apartment building.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Queen Room

Had ants crawling on me first night and had to deal with bugs crawling in bathroom second evening. Only had one light bulb out of three working in bathroom although the others were replaced as soon as staff were told. Room I had was tucked in corner so parking was not available in front of door unless you were first one back in evening. Although there was free wifi I had problems with sites being extremely slow to load and move about in.

room was clean and staff friendly

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This place is in dire need of a major overhaul. The carpet was very old and It smelled very musty and moldy. I would not stay here again.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Queen Room

It is an older motel and certainly not fancy. Although upgrades have been done some redoing of the grouting in the bathroom (especially the floor)is needed.

The location and the price were both great for our purposes.The room was clean and quiet. The staff were excellent! Very accommodating and friendly.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was dirty, faulty furniture, bathroom was out dated and not very clean. Confirmation was not received as we ordered. Cancelled 2nd day and moved onl.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Queen Room

The room was a bit sketchy; some paint was peeling, the tv remote was missing, the safe was very grungy. I like to take a bath but the bath was big enough for a ten year old (~3 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 1 foot deep). The shower was also underwhelming - no water pressure to speak of.

Great price for the area, relatively close to downtown Halifax. There is a free breakfast, but you are limited to so many items and drinks.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Been away from home two weeks first time I Woke up with a sore back. There was mold half way up shower stall and on floor of bath room. Rust stands in toilet. They offered a free breakfast, we left hotel and went out and bought breakfast.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Trying to locate room in the dark and parking for upper building on hill, climbing stairs with luggage, old building , disappointing .

Very budget, room clean very old buildIng upper area. Cafe for continental breakfast okay but limited selection on items and had to ask for things, juice , condiments.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Queen Room

I had to ask for another room - the first one I was given clearly had had a flood, smelt musty and damp and the phone and lights didn't work. Second room was better, everything worked and it smelled fine.

The staff was helpful, and it's very close to the highway.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Queen Room

Room wasn't clean as found other customers socks under the bed. Beds weren't made on a daily basis, sheets weren't changed while i was there for 7 nights. When i informed the manager of these issues she asked me if the towels and sheets were clean, nice manager not. she did listen to my concerns but i would not recommend this hotel to anyone. very old and requires major renovations.

the restaurant at this hotel was the best part of the whole stay. friendly staff, great food and prices.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms need to be updated and cleaned a little better. (found cobwebs and spiders in corners) Better lighting (kind of dark) Lock on the back window was broken.

Beds were really comfortable after a long day. Very helpful and friendly staff. We were having trouble turning lights on when we first got there and the young man who was on duty came right up to help us.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Queen Room

Breakfast was served in the nearby friendly Acadian restaurant. We chose the continental breakfast which was a bit basic. We should have chosen the given option of a warm breakfast (with price reduction).

Late arrival was no problem in this good motel, close to Halifax city centre (10 minute drive) and the airport (30 minute drive). All was clean and well equiped.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Queen Room

Water in the shower went hot/cold, hot/cold, but we made it 😆😝😛😜!

It was a good, clean room with a comfortable bed, and even though it was a very busy night it was quiet.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cleanliness of rooms; mouldy bathroom; drawers never closed on dressers; no remote for TV; maid didn't show up so rooms not made up for 2nd night no clean towels; musty rooms, curtains falling off walls; building disgusting overall a terrible place to stay would not recommend it.

Restaurant and location only; Restaurant staff very amiable and location was good.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was way in the back down a dark path lined with trees and bushes; and then up 3 flights of stairs. The room had a tiny window. There was no fridge or microwave. The shower was a trickle of water and the temperature changed rapidly from warm to ice cold to hot. We could not park near our room. We had breakfast one morning at the restaurant-the food was good, but we were not served for an hour despite there being few patrons.

The air conditioner worked well. Our linens were changed daily. We were given ice when we asked. The TV was nice. Check out was simple.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Studio with Two Double Beds and Sofa Bed

The annex building requires a great deal of attention. The building is very neglected and needs a lot of paint and upkeep. The cleaning standards seemed to differ from the main building as welli. The furniture was old, with some pieces broken and the rooms smelled like tobacco smoke.

The main builing seemed to be very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly andi accomodating when we asked to switch rooms. The continental breakfast was fine.