Reviews of Holiday Inn Calgary Macleod Trail South 3 stars

4206 Macleod Trail Southeast, T2G 2R7 Calgary, Canada

#70 of 100 hotels in Calgary

• Double Room - Disability Access

No hot tub or sauna. When I booked my room I thought I was getting two double beds. the staff gave us a cot, which was comfortable, so it work out ok.

Beds very comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I have never stayed in a hotel room without windows before. Our patio door was bolted shut, as it was 5ft from the pool deck. The pool literally backed onto our room, and our sliding doors used to be used to access the pool. The room was super hot and humid, and the staff did bring us a fan to help. The front desk told us there would be continental breakfast, and there was not. We had to tell one of the staff to refill the coffee when we did go for one, as it was out. We were going to a concert down the street, and needed a place to sleep. If the room was for anything else I would have requested to switch.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Odd set up. Small set of stairs to get to the elevator. However the parking area for our room was easy to get to and from our room (after initial check in).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They put me first in a room just beside a pepsi machine and elevator although I asked for a quiet room.. then switched me to a room without a fridge or a microwave!! And coffe machine was not working!!! I told them, I spent the whole night with workers bringing in the fridge and microwave !! Lots of headache and waste of my time...they didn’t bring me another coffee machine so i called the reception to bring me coffeee the man was so rude and told me there is no one to bring u coffee at this time (10 pm). I was studying for an exam so that was a big deal...then after a while the door knocked bringing me coffee after i already went to bed!! Next day in the morning they were playing loud music in the corridor by group of girls and no one stopped them. My stay was horrible.’’ Primitive place...rude unprofessional staff...

We were woken up by the housekeeping knocking on our door at 8:45 to clean. We ignored her. But then she came back and knocked at 9 and when I opened the door she apologized profusely....this did not make sense when check out was 12:00. We got up, packed up and left. Felt rushed out the door.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had a service dog, stuck in the basement of the building. I felt removed. Some guy is walking around the hallway with some sort of divice with a long antenna that was beeping. I asked what he was doing Andy he said it was an odour detector. He helped me find my room. All the drawers were open in my room. I feel that maybe there was a “bed bug” issue that they were dealing with. Not sure. I order room service. My pizza was soggy. In the morning someone tried to open my room door. All very very weird.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The hotel like all budget hotels need a good coat of paint .the breakfast room was more of a free for all and the equipment for coffee and tee is rather in need of upgrading.

The cost was reasonably good for a budget hotel and the ladies who cleaned the rooms werethe best.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I loved the white linens, extra pillows and the hot breakfast was perfect and helped us get our day started efficiently. The manager gave us a room beside the exit to make it easy for my elderly friend. Handicapped parking was right in front of the door.

• Queen Room

difficult to find your way to the lobby. was not marked clearly how to navigate due to the way it is set up ..hallways, stairs and elevator.

rooms were clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent for stampede, cross the parking lot for train and only 1 or 2 stops to stampede (depends on entry). When evening show ends, you will be traveling opposite direction to most (southbound and not city bound) and avoid the wait & the crowd!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were very small, especially when it's a 4 night stay. If you wanted eating options - there wasn't much that really stood out in this area other than the hotel restaurant.

Really liked the seperate bathroom and vanity area in such a small room. We arranged to have a room fridge that was delivered to our room quickly by a lovely young woman who was interested in what we were up too during our stay. Loved Sandy the Bar Supervisor, she was cheery, and an excellent ambassador for your hotel, amazingly fast service and great knowlegde of the area. C Train to city and Stampede was just there at the end of the carpark that ran very regularly both day and night. Food at the hotel was very good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing not to like!

Excellent location. The hotel was wonderfully clean and easy to get to the city centre via the train which was situated behind the hotel. Breakfast was fantastic and had a wide selection. We had a meal in the restaurant on two occasions and the food was superb. The hotel staff provided a five star service, always helpful and courteous! They really made our short family trip to Calgary wonderful!

• Queen Room

Two very minor things - although there was a pool there was no hot-tub, this would have been the cherry on the cake after 2 busy weeks of travelling. The foyer and corridors felt cold BUT on the day we arrived Calgary was very cold, wet and very windy so this may have been more of a function of the doors constantly being opened and closed - you can't control everything!

A great location for a one night stay prior to flying home to the UK. OK not in central downtown but max. 10 mins on the C train straight into the centre (probably not even 10 mins - but SO EASY). Excellent free parking. Very friendly, helpful staff. Food quality very good on-site, we had a light bite in the evening, breakfast was excellent and set us up very well for a long day. Allow half an hour to drive through to the airport.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very small with little table or counter space. I stayed with another woman and we struggled to find space for our stuff. Also, the hotel was doing some painting while we were there and finding an exit that was not closed for painting was difficult, although the staff was very helpful in directing us and helping us to an exit. Unfortunately, there was a delivery truck at the only exit, which made getting our bags to the car difficult. We also had a change or misunderstood the room fee when we booked and when we paid. We thought we were getting a room for $119, but it was $133.

It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

The bed. We stayed for two nights and I did not get any sleep either night. The bed was so hard concrete would have been softer. We will not stay here again.

The staff were nice.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Was suppose to get breakfast included and the fellow at front desk made like he was doing me a favour and gave us free breakfast ! The mirrors in the room and tub not clean.

Location was great!

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

No Elevator working.

good breakfast but maximum is $15 and you are served when seated orange juice and coffee which costs more than $6 but but most breakfasts cost either $10 or $11

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pull out bed was thin and uncomfortable. However the actual beds were very comfy!

The staff were amazing. Our front desk attendant, I believe her name is Kryzell, made our check-in very easy and enjoyable. Because of her our trip was made.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Our bed was way too soft for our liking, but that's just a preference thing for us.

The rooms were clean, big and lots of pillows. I really appreciate the staff getting us adjoining rooms. I asked for our two rooms to be close and it was nice they got us adjoining rooms.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Queen Room

I was looking for an elevator building but because of the grade that the building is built on there are stairs-not a lot -8 perhaps from the lobby.There was a side door so I got to my room via elevator.

The mattress, bedding and pillows were the best of all the hotels I'd stayed in this trip. Very quiet and being on McLeod Trail, it was easy to navigate around the city.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The fact that the staff couldn't tell us what interesting things to go and visit. (Eg. Museum, landmarks, parks, etc.)

It was located close to lots of shopping. Very easily accessible.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The noise start very early in the morning & late at night at the pool we noticed it because we are just beside the pool.

affordable & swimming pool

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stains on carpet in room. Restaurant was slow. Bedding was a bit scratchy and it very warm.

Staff at front desk were friendly and helpful. They were charging more than the rate I booked at but changed that quickly when I pointed it out. My daughter enjoyed the pool. Good rate for Calgary.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hot breakfast was not included for booked amount of $130.99. Fortunately I record these things on my iPhone as the front desk gentleman was going to charge $20 more at $150.99. Minor issue but inconvenient that the 8 stairs prevented using luggage cart

Quick checkout

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms are on the small side and my kids are teenagers now, they're bigger and everything they own is bigger. Buliding is built into a hill and has lots of split levels. Could be an issue for people with young children or a disability.

Best part about this hotel is its location. We always stay here when seeing an event at the Saddledom. CTrain station is in the parking lot and it's 2 stops to the Saddledome station. And only a few blocks from Chinook Centre. We got a great deal the last time we stayed $132.00 for one night.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

The door to the bathroom would not completely open from the inside so concerned my 4 yr old would get locked in the bathroom - the food is ok:)

It was convenient

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Do not eat at the restaurant. The food was really bad. My glutton free toast was a rock. They replaced it with soggy toast. My husband's eggs Benedict was mustard.I would stay in the hotel bed was really comfortable but hated the restaurant. Can't believe they still made us pay for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Unfortunately, I had a room that was beside the elevator, ice machine, beside the door to the swimming pool and next to a stairwell. It was VERY noisy. It was not relaxing or conducive to getting a good rest. Apparently the hotel was full...

this is a nice hotel. The rooms are quite large and nicely furnished.

Nothing we didn’t like.

Front staff were excellent, room was clean and fresh. Overall experience was a 10.

Parking.

Close to LRT and pubs for Flames game.

Resturant hours of service

• Double Room - Disability Access

Would have liked a hot tub with the pool

Beds were comfy

• Standard Room

Car was broken into in front parking lot of the hotel

Water in pool was cold

Clean, warm, food was good

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Always a breakfast that is included is a great bonus almost a norm now a days

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel staff didn't give us the free breakfast as suggested when we booked with booking .com

No comment

No comment

That the restaurant was closed @ 9

• Queen Room

no hot tub dogs from the doggie day care barking at night and early morning

room was clean check in and out was easy staff was nice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

THE STAFF IS EXCEPTIONAL!..ALWAYS HELPFUL!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pulled pork sandwich was amazing in the restaurant

Location good, room good for price, would definitely use again if required Meals excellent

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was small. and confuse to park and walk to the rooms.

ok

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

had to navigate a short flight of stairs to reach any of the guest floors or the elevator

comfortable clean room

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first room we were put in was not cleaned properly. However we were moved upstairs it was a much better room

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Friendly staff. Great breakfast that was included.

Comfortable

- no fan in bathroom

- friendly, helpful staff - good room service - thermostat & heating worked well & easy to use

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I thought breakfast was included in the booking. I found out that it did not include breakfast Great inconvenience

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was a little pricey for no breakfast

Really liked the pool

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Very nice staff. Super clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioner on in room when it was very cold outside. Breakfast spot poorly staffed

Water at check in

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Older building, no waterslide for kids, small room and bathroom.

Super Comfy bed!! Great breakfast! Very clean.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The layout of the overall hotel was slightly confusing. The floors were numbered oddly.

Beds were comfy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The set up is kind of weird

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Room was quite small, otherwise nice.

Clean, friendly, nice stay

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Priced a bit high per night.

Location, close to Stampede grounds and train station.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Room not very big for family with two teenage boys.

Good location for our trip. Food was good.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Queen Room

All staff friendly and helpful. A special mention to Brian at reception and Stephanie in the bar for all the help and advice.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Food was too pricey. Coffee was not good tasting

Staff so friendly. My bed was comfortable and easy access to transit

• Reviewed: 25 May 2016

Had to request a cleaning of the room as it wasn't cleaned during the day.

Ice cold water with lemons or orange slices at the front desk was a nice treat. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Front desk staff and cleaning staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. Food and service in restaurant was good.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

It was a very short stay,late night checkin with a very early checkout. Didn't experience anything other than the room but the property seemed very nice.

• Reviewed: 17 April 2016

The fact I have spent the night in a hospital and was lied to about my room

The staff were great, but I have been in the hospital since I left. I am deathly allergic to cats and told staff at check in and they assured me there had dent been one in the room.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

There was no hot tub which is weird ... And I had to pay a deposit cause the credit card I used to secure the booking was not compatible with their machines ( it's a debit visa ...) I was not happy about that

I did like how they quickly mailed off my husbands cell phone cause he left it in the room !

• Reviewed: 30 March 2016

Wanted to do early check in would not allow option online arrived t in at 2am reception said would have to charge us for thursday sons tournament game was in the am 8 so had to pay for nigt before check in ( inconvenience) would like to see a steamroom

Professional staff

• Reviewed: 2 October 2015

Front desk staff when we checked in not overly friendly. Industrial/commercial area so not handy to downtown for visitors.

Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful. Restaurant was good, beds comfortable

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

Very well looked after but in need of updating and a hot tub after long days of shopping

I liked that we were close to downtown area and Chinook Mall as well as the zoo

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

lack of exterior landscaping made building look shabby. { no curb appeal } . Improvement of route to C Train needed with signage perhaps

included breakfast & location

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

Way to much chlorine in the pool, made your eye's burn before even getting into the pool. Hotel disregarded problem. After 5 minutes in the pool all the kids were coughing constantly. Health concern!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2015

My wife was trying to use the hairdryer and it keeps on turning on and off(problem with the wires probably and the device needs to be replaced and fixed).. The floors are kindy confusing because the second floor is actually downstairs and the lobby is at the 3rd floor

Very friendly staff..The manager at the front desk named Gilbert was so approachable and friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2015

small bathroom. there's no door where we can dress up. no fridge and no microwave.

its very cozy, quiet and staff are friendly and accomodating. its also very clean.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

Staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Food in the restaurant was superb, all freshly cooked by their chef. Room always serviced very well, bed was really comfortable. Lovely pool too! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

There were lots of steps, and my husband was recovering from foot surgery. If we had realized this, we might have chosen another hotel. But I would hasten to point out that this is not necessarily the fault of the hotel. We should have checked.

We liked that the hotel was clean and the beds were good. It was also close to the clinic where my husband was to have a follow up appointment. Close to downtown for dinner the night before.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2015

the room had no fridge and the hotel charged us an extra 10 dollars for each person even though we had booked as four people for the room. That cost should have been on the bill already

the clean and neat bed. The corridors were well lit and the service was good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

Bed too soft, room outdated and very small. Room 344 is located at the far end of the building and right outside is a mass transit train line and you will hear the train every 10-15 minutes using it's brakes and squealing like crazy. Pretty noisy room.

Friendly and helpful staff, clean room.

There are also 51 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.