Reviews of DoubleTree By Hilton Halifax Dartmouth 4 stars

#15 of 35 hotels in Halifax

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Not worth the money
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The cleaning was horrible. Normally when the cleaning crew goes through, they make the bed, take the used towels away, pick up garbage/clutter and so on. The beds were made and towels replenished but that’s it. The shampoo bottle was dropped on the floor of the tub by a cleaning person and left there. There were used towels left on the floor, they didn’t pick up empty cans and so on. I’ve never seen such poor service. Plus on Saturday evening, the main floor near the elevator smelled like sewer. It was extremely disgusting.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Good accommodation to easily reach Halifax downtown
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Not all the staff is at the same high level. The moquette was a little dusty.

The room was large and quiet with very comfortable beds. The hotel is close to the bus station and it was very easy to reach my work place. Very good accommodation overall

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

I would recommend this hotel for it's location, friendliness of the staff, it's great housekeeping.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I thought that the breakfast was pricey. I have stayed at other hotels like this for less money and had similar breakfasts that were complimentary, included in the price of my room. I think that the room was a bit small for 2 queen size beds. The closet, entrance way and bathroom doors were too close together and it was hard to walk around the beds without bumping into something

There was a pool and a fitness centre, as well as a spacious foyer. The front desk staff and housekeeping were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

The room we had has an balcony, but you couldn`t use it...
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The room we had has an balcony, but you couldn`t use it because of a noisy air condition on roof below. also there was no possibillity to opnen the window during night because of that. The room wasn't made til we came back on Sunday afrternoon at 4:30 pm, I asked to make the room after 5:30, when we have left the room again, but it does`nt happen. So I wasn't satisfied by douple tree, I had much better expieriens before.

The light in the room that stayed on dim
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The extra charge for parking when the lot was so full you had to go way behind the hotel where it is not secure. There was a wedding so all the guests not paying the fee got the secure spots close to the hotel

The light in the room that stayed on dim

Our stay was short but not worth $312 for one night. We won’t be back.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The room was small for the price we paid. Also, $50 extra for a dog to stay is a little much to ask especially when the dog is such a good dog.

The pillows were the most comfortable we’ve ever had and the cookies were unexpected and deliciously appreciated.

Modern comfy room

The weird sloshing sound that occurred when the fan/air conditioner started up was a bit disturbing. An other chair for a second person to sit on would be nice but the room is too small for it. We had a king room perhaps a queen might have room for a second chair?

Room was good but a bit small, décor was very modern, shower in our room was huge. Room was quiet despite being right beside the MacDonald Bridge so there was good soundproofing. There was an excellent bagel shop across the street that served wonderful breakfast bagels for very reasonable prices. Very yummy, we had breakfast there all three mornings.

I think I will book to stay there again if the price would come down,
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

No Hot Tub was very Disappointing. Signage to the pool could be better as well. The breakfast was not fully set up at 6:30, which was an issue for us as we needed to eat and leave for an event for 7:00 PM.

Air conditioner ran very with little sound, view was excellent and the elevator ran with no noise and fast. Having the ice machines on both ends of the hall is also a great idea for the customers.

The staff at this location went above and beyond to...
    • Queen Room with Balcony

My only complaints would be that some of the dinner foods were a bit too fancy for us. While they were excellent, there wasn’t anything basic for picky eaters to have.

The staff at this location went above and beyond to accommodate us for our stay. My grandmother is disabled and we had some challanging requests and they were beyond amazing! I highly recommend this hotel for future stays. And the wait staff in the restaurant was also extraordinary in helping me with my younger children who were also on this trip five stars for sure!

We were overall very happy with our stay..we will be back for sure!
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Didn't like that we didn't know we had to pay for parking until we checked in! Also the shower its self wasn't very clean the floor was very gross..had to go purchase flip flops to wear in the shower..also some hair on the shower walls🙁

Very nice! Beautiful hotel...little surprise when we came to the front desk to sign in we received 2 cookies..very nice touch! Love Starbucks in the lobby as well

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

It was fine.

My only complaint is I paid $50 for my dog which I totally understand but I also had to pay $10 a day for parking and also a fee for WiFi, never had to do that in a hotel before???

It was fine

Very clean room, we were given warm cookies at check in.

Breakfast and parking was not inclusive with the room prices.

Very clean room, we were given warm cookies at check in. Friendly staff. The room was spot on. The property has a full service Starbucks as well.

Wonderful til the third night bill.

A rental car problem necessitated a third night which amounted to nearly $300. We had already booked two nights and had not require any room services, just fresh towels. The charge was excessive but we had to move out for our last night in Nova Scotia or pay the price you demanded. Ouch! No more Hilton Hotels for us.

Excellent breakfast buffet and restaurant meals

Made it a great memory for my young children

Nothing to not like

The manager Jonathan went above and beyond to make us enjoy our first stay in a hotel and in Halifax. The staff were all amazing. Will return for sure

Good and as expected.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Parking is an additional cost which is not great. Coffee maker in our room seemed to blow a fuse after the first cup but otherwise everything was great.

Bed was great - great pillows. Location is a quick walk to Ferry to Halifax and easy drive back to the airport so was great!

They added a $50 fee for my non shedding hypoallergenic dog,...
    • Queen Room with Balcony

They added a $50 fee for my non shedding hypoallergenic dog, also charged $11 for parking. No complimentary breakfast. The Westin was much more friendly, no hidden charges & better location. I would not stay here again. My dog was clean & I brought my own bed for her. Cash grab policy.

I could not have asked for better service!!!

We loved everything.

The staff was fantastic! Due to a computer clich my reservation had been canceled the staff worked until the situation was resolved-they we’re comp booked all weekend. The hotel was beautiful; my children called it a”luxury hotel.” We loved the salt water indoor pool.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Wonderful

The only disappointment will be hotel restaurant. Food is overpriced, no music, cutleries looks like didn’t get polish properly...Almost like a banquet function but trying to sell fine dining dinner.

I love the location which is right off the McDonald bridge, easy (almost direct) access to Halifax. Compare with the hotels in Halifax downtown, doubletree has much more parking/living spaces. The front desk agent Connor was very nice and professional. We had a long drive but once we arrived at the hotel, he provided us a warm welcoming and seamless check in service which made us very happy. Flatscreen TV is a plus which you normally can’t find anywhere else. Room is clean with touching details. Housekeeper always around and happy to help at any time.

Bed is horrible

The bed was absolutely awful. Woke up with back pain and hip pain. Kind of crazy you have to pay to park

The TV was great biggest TV I've seen in a hotel room and the cookies you get at check in are to die for.

Really nice alternative to pricey Halifax hotels.
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

I thought breakfast was included in room rate. It wasn't. :(

Short walk to waterfront and downtown Dartmouth. Easy access to harborfront Halifax via the ferry or bridge. Very clean, modern property. Great staff! Starbucks in the lobby! Dartmouth is up and coming and far underrated!

Reasonable rates, close to Halifax, Very modern and clean.

Towels were not replenished by housekeeping on tow of the four days we stayed there. This was quickly corrected by contacting the hotels 24/7 help line.

A very well kept property just over the bridge from Halifax. It has a metropolitan feel, very modern and clean. Easy access. The staff was friendly, helpful and responded quickly to any requests. We would definitely stay here again!

Awesome Staff and Location

Had to call to get my room cleaned after being out all day in hopes of returning to a serviced room

Awesome front desk staff, beautiful hotel, loved the balcony, and close to everything. We would stay again

Great place to stay
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Bed was a little uncomfortable for me, but it's very hard for me to find comfy beds with my back issues so not a biggie.

All was good! Staff were helpful and friendly.

Small room & poor customer service

King room was very small!! I had requested a quiet location for our room when I booked our 2 night stay a couple weeks previous to our arrival and we listened to very loud music coming from an event at the hotel until after 1am. I contacted front desk about 12:50 an am and they assured me it “should be over soon”. When I expressed my unsatisfaction at checkout the front desk clerk told me to “ask for a higher floor next time” (we stayed on the 4th floor) I told her I had requested a quiet location at time of booking. She did not care in the least. Would not stay here again.

Good location to access both Halifax and Dartmouth easily

Lovely hotel and view, weird location
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

Dartmouth is a bit grungy, and I didn't realize we would have to ferry into Halifax. Ferry times were frequent, but not too impressed with the surroundings. Sort of pricey to be that far from Halifax.

Beds were fantastic. Room had a balcony overlooking Halifax. Great for watching fireworks on Canada Day. Very friendly staff and restaurant fare was delicious.

This hotel looks to be a Halifax hotel, but is in Dartmouth. Description is vague and misleading.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The location of the hotel is very misleading. I went online looking for a hotel IN Halifax for my nephews wedding. I wanted a hotel in Halifax so I wouldn't have to drive, after the festivities. I booked the DoubleTree by Hilton Halifax Dartmouth. I immediately started getting emails about my stay in Halifax. " Only 7 days to my Halifax trip!" etc. Guess what! This hotel is not in Halifax, it is in Dartmouth. It is the old Holiday Inn next to the bridge. I was totally disgusted. Ruined my weekend!

The hotel itself was good as it was recently renovated.

I'd stay there again when I go back to Halifax.

The cigarette butts, spits and garbage bin early in the morning was quite a turned-off in the outside front entrance.Thank you!

The Bed/Pillows were very comfy. They changed the towels and cleaned the rooms and replaced the towels daily.

Overall the Double Tree by Hilton I’m Halifax is a very nice hotel I would gladly stay there again.

The wifi wasn’t working when I got there but was quickly fixed over night. The wifi it’s self was very fast.

The beds we’re very soft and fluffy. I sunk right in and fell asleep! Amazing!

The room was clean and beds comfortable.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I had booked a queen with a balcony with a view and a bath tub. However the girl at the front desk said that wasn't correct and there were none available. I found it to be the most unfriendly welcome in our two week stay in Nova Scotia. The front door of the hotel was not working and people were struggling to bring luggage in through two sets of narrow doors. A sign to push the auto door buttons would have helped.

The room was clean and beds comfortable. Hotel has been updated and the Starbucks coffee in the lobby made up for no breakfast. The helpful girl on the desk in the morning of check out printed out directions to the market which is only 2 minutes away. If you have time the ferry is right there to go to Halifax.

Family friendly
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I was charged an extra $100 the day after I checked in, I still don't understand why as it was not explained to me, it is suppose to be refunded today. Waiting on that still

Clean, comfortable and friendly

Location, clean hotel very comfortable bed and pillows

Took too long to process final payments! Stuffy rooms, could not open windows for fresh air and a/c was very noisy - made sleeping difficult!

Location, clean hotel very comfortable bed and pillows

It was awesome
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I didn’t like how there wasn’t a bath tub in the rooms. Didn’t like how the breakfast wasn’t included in your stay. The pool was a little small.

How cleanly the rooms were! The staff were awesome! Loved how there was a Starbucks in the hotel as well.

I liked how close it was to the bridge, transportation was...
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I liked how close it was to the bridge, transportation was so easy! And it was sparkly clean I will definitely be staying again and also recommending this hotel to my peers! Excellent service as well!

Great warm feel. Bfast server was awesome! a middle aged to older welcoming man!
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

from a cost perspective, similar to the Hampton Inn, I would recommend having the bfast included, although I know you have someone making omlettes as well which is an added feature.

bfast and pool was great and, room was comfortable.

Overall was a great experience
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Elevator lobbies and hallways were dirty all weekend. Needed a simple vaccum each day.

We stayed for our 6 year anniversary and they surprised us with champagne and chocolate strawberrys

Comfortable

Some rooms do not have the best views.

The bed was very comfy. Room was clean. Staff was very nice. Close to the ferry terminal and bridge over to downtown Halifax.

Over all happy
    • Queen Room with Balcony

House cleaning, did not remove the garbage from the bins and our in room coffee and cups were never replenished for the other two morning we were there for.

We enjoyed the warm welcome after a long drive into Halifax

The bed was so comfy and I slept so well!

The room was incredibly stuffy and dry, and the AC/heat control was difficult to use. There was no fan in the bathroom either.

The bed was so comfy and I slept so well!

We like the pool it was warm.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The room had 1 coffee cup for all of us and no hot chocolate packets for the children. The breakfast was so expensive so we made our own. It should have been inclouded in our hotel fee.

We like the pool it was warm. The hotel was close to the fairy wich is good for going to Halifax. The room was nice and quite.

Highly recommended
    • Queen Room with Balcony

I have nothing bad to say about the property or my stay. Had a great time!

I liked how friendly the staff were and how clean the property was and the view from my deck.

My stay was fine, but hotel tried to charge me $148 per night, when I booked at $116 per night
    • Queen Room with Balcony

The website could have been more clear

Double tree Hotel was fine.My experience with booking.com was no good.I had to cancel part of my stay and had to apply for free cancellation twice before getting an answer.On the website it says free cancellation but when tried I was threatened with being charged

100% recommend will return as soon as possible!
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Hotel was gorgeous amazing view of the ocean and fresh warm cookie on arrival! If that wasn’t enough, Starbucks in the lobby and stunning immaculately clean rooms.

it was enjoyable but will be the only time I will stay

Room cleaners came into the room before checkout time.There was no fan in the washroom.And I felt the room was entirely way too small for the price paid and you have to pay for parking

Staff was very helpful and friendly

very dissapointed
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

The dislikes were that we had no hot water when we had showers, and the lights kept going on and off ,the maitnece said it was working fine which it did until later that night and they wouldn't come on . It was not worth the 200 dollars that we paid, plus tax , we always stay with Hilton but this hotel will not be one of our stays again

The cleanness and the new look from when we were here last time, The staff was friendly on check in. There was good parking and a nice view off the balcony .

Room quiet, bed delightfully comfy, shower roomy and room...

In room coffee maker was awkward to get at.

Room quiet, bed delightfully comfy, shower roomy and room lighting just where you want it for work or relaxing.

Bathroom was leaking bad the day we waked up, toilet water...
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Bathroom was leaking bad the day we waked up, toilet water was overflood, it covered the half carpet in the room. Staff seems not surprise by the room condition.

The location of the hotel, despite the faults I found would cause me to stay at the hotel again.

The balcony light shone into the room all night and couldn't be turned off. The noise from the outside heating/air conditioner was so loud I had to put a pillow over my head. The shower head was made of plastic. There was only one set of toiletries. The coffee in the room was scant and was awful. I found an old bra from a previous guest under the vanity in the bathroom. We requested the warmed up cookies three times before we got them. Also the first overall survey you have here only has an even number of options (4) so your evaluation is faulty.

The bed was comfy. The design of the room was nice. The staff was very nice.

Everything!

Pool could be a bit warmer but other then that it was fantastic.

Everything!! JON was super friendly and so welcoming!!will recommend to everyone.most comfy beds ever!!

The tiles in the bathroom floor looked old while the room...

The tiles in the bathroom floor looked old while the room was updated. The room its self was small, was lead to believe that each room had a bath tub, no pictures on the hotel website to see the hotel room its self, very disappointed with not seeing the room before booking. Great location, but shouldnt charge for parking if there are spots right outfront.

The bed was super cozy.

The hotel sells amenities to guests, this guy had to buy a small bottle of pepto bismal and a hot pocket for $20!!! At the pharmacy across the street, those same things would cost less than $10.00. It wasn't even the medicine that was marked up unreasonably. I feel the company is taking unfair advantage of people in a position that HAVE to purchase those things from the hotel. I think the markup on products like that should be more reasonable in relation to the regular retail price.

The bed was super cozy. I also like Dartmouth and we were walking distance from the bar we were at, though it was too cold to walk.

Excellent new property, good value, super close to Halifax

Super friendly staff. Very helpful! Clean property and cozy accommodations. The hotel is just by the toll bridge to get to Halifax. Toll fee is $1, so have change. Otherwise, Halifax is right across the bridge and this proper is cheaper than the ones in downtown Halifax. If you've rented a car to get around, you'll get more bang for your buck staying here.

Too many extra coating surprises.

Housekeeping failed to come until we called during our 2nd evening. Parking was additional at 9.95 per day. Breakfast was charged to my room without the option to pay for it upfront.

I would not recommend this for new travellors

Staff and service

It's a lot of disconnect between the booking websites and the hotel staff. No matter what, they charge you the hotel pricing though you check in through booking websites. Dint have to argue but just paid $871 for 5 nights.

Staff supper friendly and helpful

Our room was extremely unclean and so was our hallway. There was garbage left in the hallway everywhere our room had garbage left from previous guest along with shower was covered in hair. We also booked the hotel because we were told it had a pool and wasn't even available to use!

Staff supper friendly and helpful

Fantastic stay ... the location, room, and staff made for a perfect stay.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

There was no part of the stay I didn't like ... it all went perfectly.

The view was incredible; staff were thoughtful and went above their duties (it was my birthday and they sent a tray with wine, sweets and a card to my room for me and delivered it with a song). So thoughtful!

Fine
    • Queen Room with Balcony

According to Booking.com, I would have a balcony overlooking the water - I chose this over a King Suite. I had a balcony. No view of the water, only the rooftop maintenance equipment.

The bed was comfortable

So good I will definitely stay there again in the future

The only thing that I could say that they could improve would be bathroom fans . Taking hot showers without a fan did steam up the mirror etc

Everything was excellent , from the front desk staff to the room , the location the view everything

Clean modern hotel, friendly staff, great location and price.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Ate too many free cookies.

Staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful to make recommendations for the local area. Very clean up to date hotel, beds and pillows where very comfortable, clean bathroom and great view of Halifax off a full sized balcony. Free cookies were great.

we will be back.

The only thing that we did not like was the smell coming from the bar. It smelled like chlorine and the staff had to smell that smell all day. We stayed for about 10 minutes and we had to move because of the smell. Very unpleasant for us as well for the workers. I asked the servers what was that smell and they told me it came from a hole in the floor and that they were told to just dump water into it. Not very healthy

The staff where very friendly and accommodating. The look of the new décor and facilities where very appealing.

Dartmouth right beside the Macdonald bridge, view of halifax harbour
    • Queen Room with Balcony

They are under construction and the pool and other things werent available.

The rooms with balconies are nice and the showers are great with three different settings for water pressure

Definitely recommend to others.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Paid parking and no water in the room though they did provide when asked at the front desk and were very polite.

Very clean modern hotel great location to the city although the bridge was closed so had to drive all the way round. Will definitely stay here again when in Halifax. Much better value for money than the hotels downtown. Better than my previous stay at the Westin.

Excellent location in Dartmouth, easy travel to Halifax.

Only one elevator working, the self-laundry not available and house-keeping staff were taxed to keep up with the cleaning. These factors are probably due to the hotel reopening too soon and all renovations not being completed.

The hotel is very well located, an easy walk to the Halifax ferry and right beside the MacDonald bridge. A plaza across the street has a grocery store. The rooms have been totally renovated and are very comfortable. Be sure to eat at The Portland Street Creperie, absolutely delicious.

overpriced for what i received in terms of amenities and customer service
    • Queen Room with Balcony

i had no idea that the hotel had only been open as a hilton for less than a week and it was disorganized creepy handprint on back of hotel room door (can see in pic) the breakfast was serve yourself and there were no signs indicating it wasnt free. i've been to hampton inns and other hilton run hotels where i was not charged for breakfast so i assumed the same for this hotel. i ate a muffin and a couple pieces of bacon. i had eggs on my plate but they were disgusting tasting so i didn't eat. i was then brought a bill $17.25 that said i had ordered "the complete" breakfast. the employee did not seem to care that there was no sign indicating that the breakfast was not complimentary. there was a "care line" that u were to call if u were missing toiletries etc. i phoned twice and nobody answered on either occasion the amenities book in the room indicated that there were ice machines and vending machine on the floors. i could not find on 3 floors that i checked so i went down to front desk. i was informed that the machines hadn't been installed yet and that i could obtain items from them where i was led to a small "sweet shop" which had no prices on items. i assumed that the prices would be reasonable based on the inconvenience that customers were incurring by coming down to lobby. i was shocked at the prices when i got the bill for my room when i checked out. i was never given any ice for my room when i was led to sweet shop. the room had 1 keurig single serve coffee insert even though the room had 2 queens size beds. one creamer. and no coffee mugs (paper or glass).

10 minute walk to ferry to halifax warm cookies at check in nice view and balcony with chairs and table

Great place to come back after a long day of travel.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

For the high price, parking wasn't included and depending when you get in you may need to park in the back which can be a hike to the entrance.

The ease of check in was great, they gave us warm cookies. The room had everything we needed and it was the best sleep we had along the way.

The view on the city.

There was a party on the floor just outside my door. I complained to the reception. But it did not really help. They moved to the balcony. I complained every 20min but nothing happend. ONly finally shortly before 24:00 it went quiet. After a long day I only wanted to sleep. Unbelieveable that the staff would not be able to do something in a hotel of such a class and price.

The view on the city.

Let's down the Hilton name..

Hotel opened prematurely after renovation. Kitchen staff offered a cut down menu with hardly anything available. Had to walk a mile to find food. Towels and linen had a smell like they had been in storage for a long time.

Newly renovated. Good selection of TV channels and toiletries. Comfortable bed. Spacious hotel parking.

It was excellent and a great place to stay when away from home

Nothing it was all fantastic

The bed was so comfy....and the staff were above and beyond accommodating and extremely friendly and helpful....i will definitely be recommending them to everyone...thanks for the the fantastic stay😊

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Friendly staff.
    • Queen Room with Balcony and View

Friendly staff. Restaurant on site.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Quiet location , good service and friendly staff

comfy bed, friendly staff, clean room,

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Staff were great, room was so clean beds so comfy!
    • Queen Room with Balcony

There wasnt anything i didnt like

Staff were great, room was so clean beds so comfy! Would highly recommend!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Good stay!

Pricing inconsistency from booking.

Bed very comfortable. House staff excellent expecially housekeeping

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Limited parking

Limited parking

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Close to everything.
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Close to everything. 15min walk to almost everything.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Great location but horrible service
    • Queen Room with Balcony

Service . The service at the front desk was disrespectful and not helpful

Fabulous

Bed was a little too soft but that’s my personal preference

Ideal location fabulous breakfast for 15 dollars. Staff were all wonderful