Reviews of Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront 3 stars

2 Princess Street, K7L 1A2 Kingston, Canada

#12 of 26 hotels in Kingston

Tired and depressing.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

40 years over due for a Reno. Feels like a super cheap motel that costs five times more than it should.

the location was very good as the hotel is very old and is built in a premium location.

Kingston!!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

1- The facility was very tired. 2- Pool was not functioning 3- Plumbing antiquated. 4- Entry card problems 5- Parking fee overpriced for a Holiday Inn guest

1- Location. 2-Breakfast

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is looking worn for the price. They could use a decor refresh.

The bed was very comfortable. We also really enjoyed taking a dip in the outside pool as the weather was very hot. The cleaning staff was very helpful and exceeding nice. when asked about breakfast locations we were given great options within walking distance of the hotel .

Classic bait and switch on price and when I saw the room I felt swindled. Should be a $65 room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Price was misrepresented from when I booked to when I checked in. It was $100+ more by the time I checked out. I admit I may have not paid attention to the final billing page as somehow the price inflated and I did not catch it when I clicked final selection but this felt like a bait and switch from the beginnind and when I got to the room and looked at what I was getting for the money, I felt swindled.

The staff was super friendly and the gentleman at the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing too serious! The room is old and the wallpaper is starting to peel off. Also, there were a couple of not-so-small spiders in the room, which took us some hunting to get rid off.

The staff was super friendly and the gentleman at the reception honored my request for a waterfront-facing room after seeing the note in his system, which was a nice touch as we were given a regular room already. Also, we had a nice buffet breakfast at the hotel's restaurant.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Pool
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had extremely loud music playing outside room at night. Asked to change rooms and was told by an extremely rude man at the desk who said he was a manager that there was no rooms left and what was he supposed to do about it. Horrible customer service!! Also rooms are in bad condition and carpets are filthy!

Pool

Perfect location but overpriced for the type of room we got .
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom had a moldy smell and I quickly realized it was the shower curtains . They were wrinkly and obviously didn’t dry properly so they had a moldy funky smell . I went to the front desk and told them and they apologized and said they would change them. I went out for a few hours and when I go back they were changed . But then I hear a knock on my door and it was the chambermaid . She asked me if I had made a complaint about the shower curtains .... I couldn’t believe she was actually confronting me . I explained what happened and she proceeded to tell me that they were trying out a new bleach ! I told her that these new ones smelled fresh . Also they were having computer issues when I want to the front desk so I guess the complaint got sent five times and she made sure to tell me that. I told her that I remember them saying they had computer issues and no I didn’t make five complaints. I just cannot believe that she actually came to my door to confront me as a guest in the hotel . Then when I left the room she was still in the hallway and when she saw me , she brought up the subject once again and told me that they were very very busy And doing their best . I’m certainly not one to complain but I did pay a lot to stay in this room and there is no way I was going to let that smell stay in the bathroom and also the bathroom door didn’t close properly so It kept opening up .

The location was perfect and the view from my room was beautiful . They have a really nice outdoor patio with gas fireplaces so it’s really nice to sit out there in the evening .

Rooms need updating (for cleanliness, not for appearance) but otherwise good location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rooms very dated - carpet didn't seem clean (needs to be replaced) - balcony was covered in cobwebs. The bathtub floor 'sank' a bit when stepped upon, giving us the feeling that it may be moldy underneath.

Great location - fantastic and responsive staff - great restaurant and patio.

Overpriced and poor quality
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were poor quality/ old fashioned and in need of a lick of paint. We had mosquitos all over the inside of our room. The room also stank of stale cigarette smoke, which as non smokers was very unpleasant.

Beds were comfortable, location was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

One of staff (the first one we met) was rude and not receptive, However later the staff were O.K in particular the male staff were more attentive and helpful

It is comfortable and clean

Location was key!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Restaurant service at the Dox was terrible. We actually got up and left because once we were seated, nobody came to us!!! Very disappointed, as we were looking forward to eating there.

Location was key!! Outdoor pool AMAZING!! Staff was great.

A great stay.
    • King Room with Balcony

It's on the waterfront so use insect repellent when out and about in the evening.

Great location for exploring Kingston and great facilities for when you just want to relax. Helpful informative staff, ask Heather for local places to visit and Mary makes a great breakfast.

Overall, we had a fun time in Kingston.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

That we didn’t get a view of the water. We asked the front desk for more coffee but were never given extra coffee even though we were told that someone would be up to give us some more.

Closeness to the waterfront. The staff at the restaurant were great for substituting food for my friends food allergy.

Not all rooms are equal
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was at the shore end of the building and we didn't get a good view of the harbour. I asked to change room but was told yes but at a significant price increase.

Good location and convenient parking.

6.0
    Great location but definitely needs updating
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms are very dated & bathroom needed some much needed work. It has gone downhill from previous years staying here.

Great location though right on water in downtown core. Live music on the patio on weekends

Done in previous answer
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well i asked for a floor with a view we were stuck on the 5 th floor in a corner really couldnt see all water only a little. Curtains didnt close needs to be updated screen didnt open or close on patio door the attitude of lady upon checking out wasnt nice also stayed we could use debit card and actually did charge our cards which we didnt want. For the price of room not worth it

Walking around the area close to water

Very. Relaxing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tha out door pool wasn’t fixed

The staff are great I went with 2 babies 5month 6month the staff were great the 2cribes were in the room so clean gave me jugs of hot water I needed to make bottles everyone always had a smile for you early morning late at night

Great Location but over priced
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms are old, and our bathroom and balcony doors were falling a part and hard to use. When our faucet handle broke the staff was very quick to fix the problem. They did start their clean up at 8am which was unfortunate as it woke up everyone.

The staff were absolutely wonderful and very helpful. They were quick to solve the issues in our room and provide us with the items we requested. The location was right in the center of downtown and a short walk to a number of restaurants and stores.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were too small I can pay same price and get better room in different hotels. They said lakefront and could not see anything. I booked it three months ago and got a very tight room not happy at all

Enjoyed the waterfront location and the comfy bed.
    • King Room with Balcony

TV cut in and out, at times no reception at all. Tub plug did not work and could only shower. No microwave. Ceiling stucco is not in good shape.

The bed was excellent - very comfy! Good view of the waterfront.

The king bed was amazingly comfortable
    • King Room with Balcony

I had booked a room over looking the water and I got a room that overlooked half the parking lot and pool and I did see the water but not what I expected

The king bed was amazingly comfortable

We had an amazing time and would love to visit again
    • Standard Room

The gym was small the pool there were pieces fallen of it the bathroom was to far from the pool the juzzic was to hot and paying for parking

The breakfast was awesome the staff always says good morning the room was cozy

Holiday Inn is run down, dirty and stinks.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room rate you gave me was miss leading. First night rate you gave I thought was the room rate for the next 2 nights. The rate for parking you gave me was incorrect and I was informed that was last years room rate. I am very disappointed with Booking.com and because of the miss-information I will no longer use your services.

the location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

There was not a included continental breakfast. There was not that much selection for breakfast items.

The room was adequate. The view of the water was nice.

The ladies serving breakfast are very nice sng friendly
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

Kids are not happy because we requested two rooms will be next to each other. The one in the front desk who help us kind off not friendly . The way she talks .

The ladies serving breakfast are very nice sng friendly

Excellent location by the lake, with a view, and downtown...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No help with my luggages from the car to the room. Although the weather was warm and beautiful, the access to the terrace was closed.

Excellent location by the lake, with a view, and downtown Kingston. Walkable distance from restaurants, boutiques, historical sites and more. Friendly staff and welcome drink with snacks that were greatly appreciated after a long travel. The quiet room was also very important.

6.0
    Not good value
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The curtains did not come all the way across the patio door. The light shone in the room all night and it lacked privacy. Having to pay for parking as a hotel guest is ridiculous. The hallway noise was loud and the bathroom needed a deep clean. For the money...i wont stay again

Bed was comfortable.

Hotel rooms in urgent need of renovation - I will spend more money and stay elsewhere than return.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

TV in room did not work. Advised front desk and went to bar to wait - it was the Maple Leafs playoff night! Waited for an hour in bar went back to front desk to check on status and the maintenance fellow still had not been advised- so back to bar to wait another 40 minutes. TV was fixed and able to watch rest of game in my room but when I went to change channel TV lost all reception again. By this time it was too late at night so phoned front desk simply to advise them TV was broken again. In the morning the lady at the front desk was not at all sympathetic to the disruption this had caused and in fact implied it was my fault I didn't let maintenance back into the room at 11pm to fix the TV for the second time. While the rooms are "clean" as in no dirt on floor it is a very worn out hotel in urgent need of renovation

The bed was comfortable. The lady at Dox bar was excellent and the mushroom bruchetta was great value for money, delicious and piled high with mushrooms

Avoid at all cost.

For the amount of money should have had free breakfast...will never go there again and will tell everyone that I know on facebook and family and friends. What a rip off !!!

I didn't like the fact that it was non refundable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the fact that it was non refundable. Because of the ice storm, we were unable to drive from Belleville to Kingston . Out of ur control. We not only missed the concert but had to pay for the room

Staff very helpful and friendly. Lovely I’m sure in the better weather Bad storm.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Coffee not hot enough. Not enough staff night of concert Got a little better later on. In the restaurant

Nice and friendly. Good waitress first morning.

stay was good, but they need to upgrade their rugs and cleanliness..
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

that there was a bug found on the bed and immediately called front desk. we were changed to another room. this just simply should of not happened

Very unhappy about accomadation
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

As stated above. Accommodations. Not promised as book handicap room with 2 double beds

This is a dislike about the room. The was only one double bed. We requested 2 double beds. I guess the pullout chesterfield was too count. Double was one of the high ones. My husband has Parkinson’s. Very dangerous trying to climb in and out and have you ever tried to sleep on a pullout. Hard on seniors hips\knees trying to get out. Not happy with what was suppose to be a handicap room

We really enjoyed the hotel and especially its location but found the price quite high per room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Although we realised we had to pay for parking we felt $20 was expensive.

The room we had was large and well equipped. We were able to check in one hour before check in time which was appreciated. The location near to the downtown and water is excellent. Offering balconies is a positive. We paid for breakfast in our room rate and it was excellent and in a waterfront dining area.

Beautiful!

I didn’t know there was going to be a bunch of kids there for some sort of tournament. I know the hotel can’t decide who stays there but going to the pool after a romantic day would have been much better if there wasn’t 30 kids running around taking up the whole space until it closed.

The room was beautiful and the staff was super nice

Nice Stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathrooms are small. Fitness centre well equipped but no towels present in the pool area or fitness area to use.... Temperature in the fitness centre/pool area was too hot

Rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Beds are comfortable. location is great and central.

Not worth $179 a night, they don’t offer robes or slippers...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not worth $179 a night, they don’t offer robes or slippers to go to the pool, the picture on the tv kept going black as we were trying to watch, the beds were so uncomfortable, couldn’t get a good nights sleep and kept getting woken up with loud bangs. For $179 a night I was expecting a lot more!

Booking.com doesn,t give you options on what floor you will be on.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The view from the second floor was not as anticipated.Re: fire works display .I will not use Booking.com again because you have no option on what level you would like to stay to see the view.All the years I have stayed in hotels I never had to pay for parking.

Rooms are clean but starting to get tired.

• King Room with Balcony

The old dirty carpets. A room we stayed in last summer actually had several rips in the carpet.

I love the location. The outdoor pool and the indoor pool are great because we have grandkids in the area and they come see us at the hotel.

The biggest draw to this hotel was its proximity to downtown.
    • King Room with Balcony

The biggest draw to this hotel was its proximity to downtown. We didn't want to move our vehicle once parked. The nice surprise was our view to the east over the harbour! Fabulous views of the court house, etc., in the downtown. We will return.

Great location and will return
    • King Room with Balcony

Clean room, very comfy bed! Very courteous staff when we checked in and answered all of our questions. Great location in the downtown core and loved our view from the balcony of the water and the Wolfe Island Ferry

All we heard till 3am was loud music coming from the bar.
    • Standard Room

All we heard till 3am was loud music coming from the bar. They did not offer us another room or any options to accommodate. There response was there was nothing they could do. Never again.

Filled out their card to have selected breakfasts brought to...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Filled out their card to have selected breakfasts brought to room. Hung card on the door nob as instructed. It was still hanging there in the morning so no breakfast. We ate elsewhere.

Friendly, courteous staff along with clean facilities at great location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

Having to pay $17 parking fee on top of room cost of $200+. Felt that was too high for less than 24hrs.

All staff extremely friendly, courteous & helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Fitness area and bathrooms need and upgrade. For the price paid would have been nice to have breakfast included.

Great location Comfortable rooms Good food in restaurant

It was a bit pricey for my budget but I wanted to take my granddaughter on a 3 day vacation.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

My Internet was intermittent.

I loved the pool. We swam and hung out every day by the pool. It was cool and windy outside and tropical inside with a clean lovely pool. Zoe is 3. I am 70. A perfect Nana holiday. Thank you. Everyone made us feel super welcomed.

Enjoyed our stay and will go back
    • King Room with Balcony

The bathtub needed more TLC. You could see the ring of soap scum

The bed was really comfortable. It’s important to us to have a good night sleep in a comfortable bed when we are away from home

Near restaurants, nice view, helpful staff.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Old building with old bathroom fixtures. Bathtub water didn’t drain, it was like standing in a reservoir during shower. There’s no fan in the bathroom. For 2 days in a row, fire alarm went out for about 15 minuets. That was 8am!!! Staff advised opening windows would help.

Near restaurants, nice view, helpful staff.

The location was perfect.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything else about this hotel is just TERRIBLE. We paid more for a room with a view and the receptionist gave us a room with half the parking view and hardly seeing the water when I told her I paid more for a view she said "Booking.com is not my problem" and gave us an ultimatum either take the room or a full view of the parking !!, very rude. They made us pay for parking $17/day which we didn't know about from booking.com!, the cleanliness of the room is below zero we had spider webs in our room (Yes in the room on the walls and behind the chair and desks), the balcony was filthy we couldn't step in it, the carpet had stains and the chair looked like someone peed on it. The bathroom was also not very clean but okay and the pool was also okay. This hotel is way overpriced for its amenities and current rooms. I am not sure if I should be angry at Booking.com or Holiday Inn, it seems they are giving their worst rooms to booking.com and do not honor the reservation details you made on the site.

The location was perfect.

Subpar anniversary experience
    • King Room with Balcony

A little dirty, room was not super clean. It had dead bugs or dirt smeared on the ceiling. Restaurant was dirty also. Cobwebs in the corners and chairs were in need of reupholstering. The staff were not as friendly as I hoped for and the room was expensive. Overall it was a fair experience.

Really enjoyed the convenience of being downtown and on the water. But that is about it.

not impressed, overcharged
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had to sleep on a pull out couch (rooms flooded), asked the manager for a night and asked what can they do to accommodate this mess up, only given free breakfast.... will jot be bookong my 5 consecutive weeks of accommodation in Kingston for work. They also charged me multiple times and now I have to call back to fix that too.

Location was good, morning andvsome staff were helpful

Our stay was most enjoyable and will definitely be back.
    • King Room with Balcony

The water pressure in the shower was low.....very little water came out.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. The bed was super comfy!! Last but not least....the staff were friendly and very helpful. Definitely will return.

A nice hotel on the waterfront but the building could use some TLC.
    • King Room with Balcony

The wi-fi kept cutting out on us or it was spotty. The bathroon didn't have a fan and it got really steamy when we showered and the room was humid.

The balcony on the waterfront was awesome! Kids eating free at the restaurant was great.

Great stay and will return
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small complaint was the water in the indoor Pool was freezing and hot tub jets don't work Well

Everything about this hotel was so convenient The hotel room was clean, beds were very Comfortable and staff were very helpful With suggestions and directions etc.

sad.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We paid and parked the car in the parking lot in front of the Hotel, but the bicycle was stolen at that night, nobody in the administation office of the hotel would like to take responsibility.

It was ok loved the staff.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

The smell in our room was really bad. It smelled like there was a party of smokers in the room or it could have been mold smell. I did not sleep very well due to the smell.

That it was easy to get at and close to the events we were taking part in.

disapointing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

this hotel is certainly not what you would expect from a holiday inn the first floor is in dyer need of upgrades the walls are full of scracthes some tiles fell off the walls in the pool area and were still on the floor where they fell the pool was ice cold the carpet in my room as well as my friend's room were full of stains (most likely from dogs) it was discusting

the location is good the staff very good the beds comfortable

When we first arrived we were given a room on the first...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Ground Floor

When we first arrived we were given a room on the first floor room 102. It's wasn't what I had in mind for a room location and to be quite honest we were very disappointed. I spoke with the people at the front desk requesting an upgrade as we were staying for 3 nights and really wanted an experience we could remember with fond memories. Much to my surprise and delight there was a cancellation and we were upgraded to a room on the third floor with a magnificent view over looking the marina and st Lawrence River. It was a wonder experience for both my wife and myself. Thank you

Most enjoyable & well located

Pool surrounds & lounges & towels need upgrading urgently

Great location & guest laundry facilities werexa bonus for us after travelling for done tine.

• King Room with Balcony

We'd planned to have a 2 night, 3 day romantic get-away and were very disappointed by the lack of comfort at this hotel. We felt like we were staying in a cheap motel. Bathtub wouldn't stay filled (metal plug was broken), shower head didn't work properly. Ceiling of the room had been patched and only partly painted with a slightly different color of white paint so it looked terrible, deep cut in the wall, poor lighting, room not soundproof (you can hear every word said in the hallway and all of the doors opening and closing all night). View was ok, but mostly of the pool and parking lot than the river. (I'd asked to change rooms as soon as we saw our room and our view but they said they had nothing else available). There were so many little things that went undone and added up to a very bad impression. Ex. Indoor pool not heated, Towel bin at the pool was full to overflowing and not changed, Soap dispensers at pool showers were always empty. Parking was added on to the bill: $17 a night! We won't be back.

Bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly enough.

very good location, in the heart of the city and close to...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

it was extremely cold inside the hotel, in the lobby area . Why do they need to put the airconditionning system to 18 Celcius???

very good location, in the heart of the city and close to the boats departures. Good breakfast and pleasant swimming pool.

Good hotel and a perfect location for exploring Kingston on foot
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was quite small for a family of four.

Brilliant location for exploring Kingston and the indoor and outdoor pool was good for the family. Breakfast choice was fine - and even pleased our fussy kids.

The hotel was within walking distance to the activities we...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Had to pay extra for parking and breakfast was not included.

The hotel was within walking distance to the activities we wanted to access. And the waterview from the balcony was nice.

We will nto be back. Stop charging for parking.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is ovepriced and in need of a renovation. It does not meet the standards of other Holiday Inns yet is higher priced. Coffee maker did not work - could not adjust the thermostat nor open the door due to holes and rips in the screen. The bathroom door did not close properly nor did the fan work.

appreciated the make-up mirror and the pool although there were no towels on Sunday

Lack of cleanliness on outside of hotel, restaurant and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lack of cleanliness on outside of hotel, restaurant and rooms are ok but could be better and especially the balcony... Despite the note that says hotel is at the merci of pigeons, they should still take time to clean the balcony and show that they care for their customers.

Overall I would recomend this Hotel for a wonderful stay and location in Kingston.
    • King Room with Balcony

Had difficulty signing in to wifi in our room. Our friends in the next adjoining room had no issues with the wifi. It seemed to just be our room. We also waited along time for service at the bar and restaurant more than once.

Check in was easy and efficient, as was parking. Location was perfect and loved the room with a balcony and water views.

Great location with most things in walking distance or less than a 5 min drive.
    • King Room with Balcony

Parking was a little expensive for an outdoor lot.

Waterfront location is very nice. About half the hotel has rooms over the water. If you have mobility issues I'd request a room close to the elevator as the hotel hallways are very long.

In fairness, i cant generalize the bad experience because the restaurant staff are very nice
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

check in was so poor. The reception(kathryn) was notvvery accomodating. Seems like all the request i made was not even considered. I felt like if you disnt book directly from them that they will give you least priority. I intend to email the managee to give a full feedback. I requested for a lake view and was given room on the 2nd floor with a swamp bybthe balcony. We opened our balcony door and was welcomed by smelly stagnant water, cigarette butts and cofee cups dumped on it. I requested if we can move to a higher floor and i was told they can just give us a parking lot view. However, when i was in the cront, they were able to give a lakeview to a walk in couple. I am very disappointed.

We like the DOX restaurant, good food, good serving and staff were friendly.

I have stayed there seversl times in the last 15 years and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I have stayed there seversl times in the last 15 years and the rooms have not been upgraded and it really shows. With parking the bill came to 347.00 for the night for crunchy room.

Very enjoyable time slurping wine on the outdoor patio!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only stayed overnight for 1 night so is don't have any negative comments to add to what I've already stated.

Bed was so comfy it was like sleeping on a cloud!

what a vibrant town, will go again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the only thing that was not great was the cleaning of the washroom sink, there was mold under the lip of the counter were it meets the sink. makes you not want to clean you face and teeth in it.

Kingston is always a nice place to go, we enjoy the activities that we can do in the area.

Wonderful view of the marina from the balconies as well as...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We couldn't smoke on the balconies and the only smoking section was next to the parking lot. I thought this was impolite and would have apreciated at least a smoking section near the terrace outside.

Wonderful view of the marina from the balconies as well as restuarant terrace .

had a fantastic stay in kingston
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

too over priced, facilities could be updated

liked the location, friendly staff, but inconvenient princesss st closed and no one infomred us when we came so had to drive around to find parking. also buffett breakfast was delicious, hotel is very clean but could be updated somewhat, and I thought it was overpriced

Left in a hurray my daughter was afraid even though the fire alarm was only in our room
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fire alarm went off twice while my daughter was in the shower scared her half to death and all she wanted to do was go home. Wrecked our whole 2nd day. Went home that morning which we didn't intend on doing. I don't think when we visit Kingston which we do often that my daughter will want to stay there again

That its right on the water and the restaurant was very...
    • Executive King Room

Our heating/air conditioner was broken and had some noise.

That its right on the water and the restaurant was very convient for breakfast with outdoor seating!