Reviews of Atlantica Hotel Halifax 4 stars

1980 Robie Street, B3H 3G5 Halifax, Canada

#27 of 38 hotels in Halifax

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were a few noisy guests but after I called, things calmed down immediately. It was a busy weekend so I assumed that is why we were put next to them.

• Superior King Room

We actually stayed 2 nights / different dates. Purpose was for a hospital appointment & they were near by. The bed really stood out both times - we have a very comfortable bed at home but theirs even exceeded our own

• Executive King Room

It is pretty far from downtown, a cold 25 minute walk in April. Also, there is no security on the elevators so anyone can just get up to your floor. And it is a bit of a party hotel so not super quiet.

We booked a suite and the size was very good compared to what you might get in a larger city or even Portland Oregon. Also the breakfast was pretty good and included so the deal we got was very fair. They also have a shuttle to downtown for free.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

My only complaint was that the front desk clerk pre-authorized my credit card twice, which I didn't realize until after I got home. It took me over a week for them to refund me back my money. Aside from that, I had an excellent stay.

The Atlantica is in a great location, staff were extremely friendly and I have stayed here multiple times before in the past and will continue to stay here in the future.

• Superior King Room

Bathroom was outdated and could use an exhaust fan. More electrical outlets would be a plus. Breakfast Buffet was a little expensive, would've been nice if complementary continental. Decided to have Breakfast elsewhere. It would've been really nice to have an Ice machine on our floor, but there wasn't any. The Hot Tub was semi functional due to the all the jets not working.

Had Coffee at the bar, the Bartender was really friendly and helpful. The Restaurant at dinner was very nice and so was the wait staff. We certainly enjoyed our time there. The pool and leisure area was very enjoyable. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in. Great location in the heart of Halifax.

• Superior King Room

Parking is not enjoyable. It needs a complete redesign for the volume of vehicles they have flowing through that hotel.

The buffet breakfast offers a great selection with great service. The servers were friendly and attentive. The pool and hot tub were a pleasant amenity but very busy after dinner hours.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I never book with booking.com but when I called the 1-800 number for Atlantica they would not match that price even though it was for a medical emergency.There was quite a difference 156 plus tax as opposed to 107 plus tax on booking.com. When I arrived at the hotel and asked them why I was told I should have called directly to the hotel and they would have given me the medical rate of 115 plus tax inc the parking. It was too late by that time. Why call directly and incur long distance charges. Not good service.

bed comfy

• Premier King Room

Parking was way too much and even though we didn't use the $20 voucher towards the restaurant they didn't let us use it towards parking fee!

Fresh and modern. Updated look . Great staff at check-in, bar, and housekeeping but not a friendly check out.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Old and dingy halls, bathroom was old KEY card didn't work, tv remote didn't work. Hot tub was dirty. The parking garsge was difficult to get to, with a poorly laid out entrance. Bottle necking With traffick . dropping off people, people trying to exit and enter parka de. When driving through the parking garage we had to stay on left side when normally Canadians drive on right. It was dangerous, nowhere to safely walk when exiting your car to get into the lobby. It was the worst parkade I've ever been in.

Location of hotel. Food and service at restaurant was great

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Some of the staff could be a little more knowledgeable about the transit buses and their routes .

The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was delicious each morning. The waiters were great and pleasant .Great to have underground parking to leave our vehicles safe and clean from the weather....

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room wasn’t ready . We asked to block four rooms together numerous times before our stay and the morning of we were all on different floors . Our room had dirty laundry at check in . The restaurant food was good but the people we went with ate and were finished before we even got ours we all ordered at the same time . We asked for wine glasses to our rooms that never came . The parking was gate was broke so anyone could park down there but still charged us 20 dollars. Upon check in some girl was screaming and cursing because someone hit her car and my child was standing right there.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The buffet breakfast was overpriced and not very good (over $30 for two). For what they serve, they should include the breakfast in the price (like the Cambridge Suites).

The location, the comfortable bed, the view on the Halifax Commons from the restaurant

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

sometimes the hallways got a bit loud but no fault of the hotel staff, simply the other hotel guests not being mindful that other guests may have to be up early and didn't want to run the hall way all hours.

The beds are amazing, the rooms are great, the location is A1 for the purpose of our stay ( IWK). The staff is always very friendly and no matter time you call and what questions you have they are always very pleasant to you never treat you like you are a bother to them

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only suggestion I might have - because this is a pet friendly hotel is to place a dog baggie station outside the hotel and a waste container beside it to make it easy and obvious for pet owner to know where to dispose of waste. Fabulous location in Halifax.

Finding a pet-friendly hotel which is a nice one is sometimes tough - especially one which does not charge an extra fee for a pet. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable with a pet chaise - nice touch.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing that I can think of at this time.

The staff was very courteous and helpful and went out of their way to accommodate myself and spouse. Thanks again.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Noisy guests. Need adult only floors. Some room bathrooms are "tired" and need some renovation

Great beds. Good pillows. Clean facility with fantastic staff!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

old mattress, offered a free parking because of my hospital appointment but then declined it after they realized I booked on the booking .com website. The pool was very dirty and the breakfast was not complimentary. The room was very old and dingy.

the front staff person in the morning was friendly (the lady the previous night was not). Parking was conventiently located.

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower and tub were dirty, still other people’s hair from a previous stay. I had to clean it myself before I could use it. And the water temperature was either way too hot or too cold. There was no in between

The location and the staff

No complaints.

The room was very comfortable being well heated the entire stay. Enjoyed the view of the skating oval, park and all the fireworks from our room.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom sink drained SLOWLY, shower curtain folds were "stuck" together? Rust around shower drain. Inside bottom of bathroom door is rusted, painted over and peeling. No privacy curtain on window... sheers only.

Check in staff was great & helpful. Bed was comfortable. Free underground parking.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hot water was a bit slow to start and the self serve laundry facilities were not in operation (the entire leisure area was closed for renovations)

Friendly staff, comfy beds and pillows, great with my dog!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

wish there was a complimentary breakfast included The parking should be either free with booking of hotel or at least only 10 a night. The only other thing..there was a dog that barked most of the time on my floor..added with a baby crying. Perhaps those with dogs could be on the same floor and maybe offer adult only floor. That way those that need a little quiet..who are on vacation have that choice of where they want to be placed.

The staff were friendly, the rooms clean. Didn't get a chance to use the pool, but I could see it. I like the option if you want to use it. Easily assecible to where I was going. Yes, I would stay again..with my family next time.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

the fact I specifically asked "Steve" if there was a sauna, and I was told yes...then on arrival the front desk said NO there was not...

perfect location

Nothing. Everything about it was good when I was staying

It was very neat clean and well situated in the city center. The facilities were great. TV selection could be improved but the Wi-Fi was swift and compensated for that

tub

buffet breakfast the second day seemed like leftovers, but there had been a power outage the night before in the city. Staff was amazingly friendly and helpful...pool was great for my grand kids Bed and pillows great and I liked that you had extra heavy quilts in the closet so I didn't have to go ask! Tub could have some upgrades but all in all a great visit!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entrance to the underground parking seems very tight when you are driving an SUV, otherwise it's perfect

We love this place, it is central to the city but next to huge green spaces. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the restaurant is great and the pool is perfect.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Navigation was not clear, front desk lady didnt inform us where the pool is. Even there was no communication in the elevator. The channel list was not provided so you have to browse everything to get what you want. They called themselves as 4 Star, for me it was an ordinary hotel. Nothing made me feel that I am in a 4 Star hotel.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The free soap, shampoo etc was of very poor quality and gave me skin problems, but I always have problems with cheap perfume bath products

Restaurant was excellent

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking situation SUCKS your linens smell strongly of too much detergent. There is too much dust on lamps ceiling fan and wallpaper seems lifting etc. NO FREE BEAKFAST!

The swimming pool, location and staff

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Was not told renovations going on. very loud hammer drill for hours outside our room in the hallway . with concrete walls sound carried right into our room.Staff did not even know the workers were on our floor making noise. We were relaxing before our evening out between 1 and 5 pm but had to leave at 2 because of the noise workers started sanding floor in dining room right next to customers eating.

Complimentary chilled lemon water and hot apple cider in the foyer

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

Scored the bathroom lower because the toilet was running but I just fixed it myself. We also had a bad rain storm the last night we stayed and the window leaked a bit. We let them know at checkout and they sent a team up to investigate right away.

Food at the restaurant was delicious. We went there for the breakfast buffet and dinner. Room service was prompt as well. Loved the pool and hot tub. Great location near Quinpool Rd. which also has lots of restaurants. Room was comfortable, clean, and updated.

• Superior King Room

The rooms and hallways are a bit dated, and in need of a refresh. The room was much smaller than I expected. Also, parking and breakfast are extra. These really should be included to make the property a better value compared to other, chain hotels in the area. The biggest problem we encountered was that the credit card my partner used to check in for security deposit was repeated charged during out stay. I had made two separate bookings because of adding an additional day, and both bookings were pre-paid. However, his card was charged $309 due to a night audit clerk error. He also received multiple security deposit holds on his card, even though I was told by a reservations agent that this would not happen. It just added an unnecessary stress to our getaway, and it's not something I've ever experienced at any other hotel in the world. Although the staff were apologetic, there was not offer of compensation.

The place was quiet and the room was clean.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entry into the parking garage was awful. You drove on the left to enter and exit. Management should fix this before an accident occurs!

Very good location for downtown sightseeing

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

This booking is 17% less than the actual cost which is printed below- this is a Huge difference when booking for 9 days so don’t be fooled. When I spoke to Atlantica about the discrepancy they were very rude over email and had 0 customer service skills. I was on a grant and couldn’t claim the additional 300$ I was charged later. Staff on premises were nice.

Nice pool and hot tub with little work out room was nice

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The swipe cards need to be updated so people don't get locked out of their rooms.

I liked the location of the room we had a nice view. Also we were only 2 floors from the pool which was nice. We like the pool and hot tub.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pillows were not the best...way too soft and lumpy...only three to a bed unless there were more in closet..for the price either parking or breakfast should have been complimentary.

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price changed Every day. I Hate that. We booked largely because of the price it waslisted at and only one night came in at that price. We spent 8 nights and a lot more money than we bargained for

Breakfast buffet excellent. Room comfortable

• Superior King Room

The building is tired. The water pipes were under repair by the city making things less pleasant in general. Our shower water temperature was lousy specifically. There was terrible noisy water running through the pipes around our room. (215).

The location was perfect and staff friendly.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Frustratingly, no water provided, and the in-room tea\coffee facilities were basic, with only powdered creamer (which is gross in tea); no room service menu, free wi-fi was so weak was unusable (clearly they know this as you can upgrade for $9.99) and the batteries were out in the tv remote! Concierge staff looked a little brow beaten – both on check in and check out there was a customer complaining quite irately. I felt like the overall attitude was one of stoic indifference. The free airline boarding pass print out they offer was also non-functional. Didn’t chance breakfast. Someone else’s burnt hair in the hair drier...it was all a little sketchy. Travel to Halifax a lot with work & never stayed here before. Doubt I will again.

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

The free WiFi was very slow. There was also a paid option for $10 which I did not try. My room was facing a busy street so it was fairly noisy even at night. Breakfast was so-so - limited choices, and what was there tasted ok-ish. A safe in the room would have been nice. Overall I found it overpriced, which was maybe to be expected given it was a long weekend.

Good location, 1/2 hour walk to downtown. Spacious and comfy room. Several bus lines stop near the hotel.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

$20/night for parking, breakfast not included.

Super comfy beds! Centrally located. Friendly staff. Mini fridge fridge in room and was what I was expecting from a hotel in this range.

• Superior King Room

Poorly fitting mattress protectors (worn-out or torn elastic at the corners) and flat sheets rather than fitted ones over the mattress contributed to bunching of the bottom sheet.

Loved the smell of the tangerine soap. Fantastic location downtown for the price. We were able to walk most places, and there were parks a block away.

• Superior King Room

Our room faced the hotel front where bright lighting outside shone into our room on the second floor. There were no curtains that blocked the lights and I slept poorly the first night. I reported this at the front desk in the morning, and, when we returned to our room after being out for 2-3 hours, the curtains had been replaced. Internet options were limited to a one or three day complimentary package, or paying for further service, which was awkward.

Great central location for the price. Friendly staff. Prompt response to complaint.

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

blood stained pillows, the pool area wasn't as nice as expected, for the money you pay. Everything was over priced. The shuttle service doesn't run on the weekend and we expected to be able to just use the shuttle like the information said we could, but no shuttle

the staff at the desk was friendly

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was old ...needs to be updated in the bathrooms "paint flaking on bottom of the door and the toilet was not clean to standard " in need of new pillows also and bed were not done to my standard

It was just ok nothing impressive the rooms would need updating. The restaurant was good and the staff were good also a good location.

None at this visit

Central location to drop son of to college so we were able to commute to and fro easy.rooms comfortable. My views breakfast should b complimentary at least 3days with the cost of rooms rate

• Superior King Room

We were place in a room oposite some small function rooms that were used during our stay. Tv kept loosing signal, no ice machine on the floor, entry driveway not managed - cars and truck with trailer blocking the way - no one in sight to tell us where to go or what to do for check in. Went to the restaurant and had to wait as the hostess was off some where. One of the only two guest elevators shut down when we were trying to leave.

• Executive King Room

Very limited parking had to almost fight for parking in the parkade and $ 20 per day was steep I thought. So the parkade was small for the facility

Pool was nice and staff was nice. Buffet breakfast was good and was included that was nice value. The hotel was close to some of the events we went to see like the natal day fireworks.

• Executive King Room

I liked the approach of providing a number of small square pillows, rather than a couple large ones. It makes it much easier to maximize the comfort of an otherwise cozy bed. I also appreciate that it was extremely busy (likely close to full capacity), but interaction with staff was always courteous and friendly.

• Premier King Room

Parking was a little weird by keeping to the left. Some drivers got confused when they we coming our way.

I walked in to check in, and I was chosen to have a free room upgrade! They were very accommodating, the room was roomy and cozy. We had a top floor room, the view was spectacular, and the location was ideal.

• Superior King Room

Room wasn't as clean as you would expect. It did seem like housekeeping were rushing to get rooms ready for check in as it was quite busy in Halifax that weekend so maybe cleaning standards dropped for the night I was there

Very smart room with lots of facilities. The staff were also very polite and service was good.

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not enough parking. We had to park somewhere else in the city and walk to the hotel with all of our luggage. The listing advertises parking, but this is misleading since there isn't enough. Would not stay here again based on this.

limo service between 5-7pm during the weekdays

• Executive King Room

The hotel is centrally placed for everything in Halifax. The room was very comfy with a great view over the common. Loved the breakfast and the bar area. The concierge was amazing and managed to get us a hire car for our visit considering how busy the town was for Canada Day.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was really dirty. Shear curtains had huge rips in them, room darkening blinds were filthy and the shower curtain was stained and had mould on them.

The staff was friendly, restaurant was ok.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

facilities very dated pool unkept area sunken beds wet carpet nasty parking garage - small and difficult

clean bathroom nice bar staff helpful concierge

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The property really needs to make repairs and replace some things. For example, our tub was miscolored, the bathroom door was painted in spots only to cover where there was mold (I think) because the fan in the bathroom did not work. Breakfast was not included. One day, we opted to purchase the breakfast buffet which was not really worth the price.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to Quinpool area with restaurants. Bus routes run right in front of hotel. Even though we didn't use it, there is underground parking.

• Superior King Room

the price is on the high side . would have been nice to either einclude breakfast or at least a voucher toward the buffet , like a percentage off

friendly staff verry comfy beds. i liked the furniture in the room- the loungeing piece was a nice addition

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

The menu item that was titled Crispy Chicken Came with limp rubbery skin and was tasteless. When searching for something and having to pull back the curtains it looked like it had not been vacuumed along the edge for months.

Excellent service Attractive decor in the lobby Very good rates

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast not included for the price Bathroom door knob broken Kirtens not well installed

Staff friendly Well located Good parking Outside terrass on the pool floor

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast wasn't served until 7 am...not good for early flights ...would be nice to have some portable cold food early.. Ie fruit or yogurt or muffins..overall lovely stay

Good value for the food..staff was great at food recommendations..large portions..

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like the underground parking- very small spaces and difficult to navagiate! It was also the first time I've ever paid for parking at a hotel. How'd they think I would get there-on my broom????!!!!

Great staff, very friendly! Onsite restaurant was delicious- expensive but great food!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a sign saying no parking so we had to park else where. Found out later there was parking for overnight clients.

The hotel was clean and nice. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had placed dirty towels in the bathtub on our second day there and when we came back later that evening the towels were still in the tub and there were none put in the bathroom to replace them. This may have just been an oversight and I am sure if I would have called down to the front desk they would have sent more towels to the room.

Bed was very comfortable, staff was extremely friendly and very helpful and professional.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

Other guests in the parade took up two spots at a time. The parking spots were tight and sometimes it took a while to find a spot, get into it, and re- park to make sure that there was enough room on each side of the car so that I and other drivers could get in and out.

The staff were very friendly.

• Premier King Room

I didn't like that I booked a room and then had to pay 20.00 + tax to park my car in the same building.

We didn't have breakfast so I cannot comment on that. I have stayed at this hotel before and I am always treated well by staff.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The desk staff are very short with people. I arrived Friday afternoon, the afternoon staff was wonderful. There was a girl at the desk for the evening and overnight, she needs to work on her people skills. Rude, quick and not personable at all. I waited for day staff to come in when I had a question. She was too unapproachable.

I enjoyed the location above all. Within walking distance to many attractions, dining and downtown!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

No clock/ or radio in room. There were 4 of us and only 3 towels in the bathroom (we did call for the 4th one & it was promptly brought up to our room). Thanks! Need lower round tables in rooms by the armchairs.

Comfortable firm beds, and pillows. Lots of seating chairs when friends from another room came for a visit. Air conditioner was great (and a must in hotels).

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Executive King Room

I was not impressed considering I paid for the best room in the hotel and because I booked on line I had to pay for my parking... was entitled to a complimentary breakfast and was charged.. I had to call the hotel three times before I was finally reimbursed and was still charged $15.00.. I was so "fed up" that I did not call back to be reimbursed...I definitely will not return nor would I recommend this hotel.. I am a recovering cancer patient... I don't need this in my life !!!!

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Premier Double Room with Two Double Beds

One elevator working for a sold out hotel. Upgrade riom on 10th floor so walked the stairs many times. No bathrobes as advertised. No hot water. Sink was rusty.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel services are absolute rubbish. They advertise the price, but the hotel offers nothing. The light on the corridor took five minutes to turn on (literally five minutes. We forgot about it and we're doing other things when it suddenly turned on); the bathroom ventilation was broken, parking costs $20/night, if you wish to go to the hospital parking across the street, it's $14.50. Breakfast is also not included, that's another $11 per person, so our $119/day stay was already at $150. The hotel advertises as a four-star, but it feels like they stencilled two extra on their own. Even to get a soap we had to fight. When we said we were not satisfied with our room, the gentleman on the front said: "okay. I'll cancel your other days". No apologies or offer to fix anything. We left after one night/6 booked. NIGHTMARE! To be fair, however, they have one employee-Kyle-an amazing gentleman. After we were gone our credit card was still holding a block for a little more than the full amount and he was wonderful at working it out. I suppose he's too good for that hotel.

In the heart of the city, so great if you like to walk and explore

• Superior King Room

I have never written a review but after our experience at Atlantica I think it is necessary. Atlantica is was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. We were charged for everything you could possibly imagine and even after clicking the complementary wifi option we still got charged for the internet during our stay. We chose this place because we thought it would be a reasonably priced place close to everything. Take my advice and just stay by the waterfront. Our room charge was over $125 than want to we booked on booking.com and the women at the check-out counter was extremely rude when we asked for an explanation. The hotel is out-dated, overpriced and out of the way.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Executive King Room

We actually got stuck in the elevator for 5 mins.. so we didn't say anything as they had signs up saying they are renovating the elevators

SEAFOOD CHOWDER IS AMAZING

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Control of heat in room. Difficult to keep at regular temp.

Staff was incredible. Always very helpful and readily available. Restaurant service and prices were both great. Room was quiet and very comfortable. We were there to have surgery at a nearby hospital and staff were genuinely concerned for our welfare.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only one elevator working March break hotel packed,you have to pay $20.00 for parking for a night but no one is promised a spot, also was not told that breakfast buffet was only till 10am went in at 10:05 had to order off the menu which was very pricy and my wife's allergies to food she was to scared to eat anything .

The price.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

wifi wasn't awesome, and paid wifi didn't allow me to add extra devices one elevator out of service during March break made for some very long waits, especially in busy traffic times

breakfast buffet and morning shift staff were excellent staff were very helpful and accommodating for family