Reviews of Holiday Inn & Suites Ottawa West - Kanata 3 stars

101 Kanata Avenue, K2T 1E6 Ottawa, Canada

#25 of 56 hotels in Ottawa

Not good valued for the $$ paid for!

When we got to our room there were several issues we noticed: Bed was 'lumpy' The cover on the bed was 'wrinkled' Worst part: TOWELS were WET!!! I asked the other family member in the other room and their TOWELS were also WET!!! Then when I was about to sleep, there was a BIG BUG on the curtain window!!! I don't think this was worth the $$$ we paid for the night It did not allow me to check out using the TV in the room either When we went downstairs, we waited for over 10 minutes since there was only 1 PERSON by the front desk!!!

We were greeted by David who was friendly even though it was already late (around 10PM). We had other hotel reservation who just had a power outage and had to look up an 'affordable' night stay since we were so tired and had been traveling for hours!

Check in was super quick and friendly, Wi-Fi was decent, we...

Room size and overpriced.

Check in was super quick and friendly, Wi-Fi was decent, we didn’t go to the restaurant, the beds were very comfortable and there was plenty of towels and toiletries, the room was small and overpriced .

Nice, but a bit pricey.
    • Standard Room

Thought I had reserved a room with two beds, e.g. two queen or double beds. Instead got a suite that had one bed plus a sofa bed (sofa bed had a better-than-average mattress however). Breakfast options at the restaurant were rather expensive.

Both beds were very comfortable, including the sofa bed. Choice of firm and soft pillows. Restaurant offered some very nice breakfast options.

Everything.
    • Queen Suite

Everything. They were friendly, helpful and they listened. Clean amenities. Hotel is well kept. I would recommend this hotel to anyone to stay at. David at front desk was extremely helpful.

We won't be staying here again.

The room was very cramped with no storage area for suitcases. The bathroom was very small with a pedestal sink which meant there was no counter space to store toiletries etc. Overall the room was very cramped feeling.

The beds were comfortable and there were lots of pillows.

Everything!
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

How fast the time went haha. No complaints!

Everything! It was our first night away from our baby & exactly what we needed! We'll definitely be back 😊

Good value for staying in Kanata.

Restaurant in the hotel was a little expensive -- $60 CAD for three having breakfast. Room was a little small and cramped. Pool downstairs was also small and the hot tub jets were not working.

Hotel staff was friendly, accommodating, and quickly took care of a blocked toilet by calling the prompt maintenance staff. The location was ideal for shopping in Kanata or taking the Queensway.

Disappointing for Holiday Inn
    • Executive Queen Suite

The pool and hot tub were disgusting. I’m not sure the last time the water was changed. The area around the pool had not been cleaned for days either. There was so many hair balls. Although it’s easy to find it’s far from downtown. It’s about 25k on the high way. It’s far. Breakfast was very good however on the website says “breakfast included” and when we got there she gave me a coupon that said breakfast for 2. I asked her what about my daughters and she said breakfast is always only for 2 adults and kids under 12 eat free. Well my daughter is 15. She said to tell them in the restaurant that she was 12 and they would give the breakfast for free. The waitress was very good and didn’t question her age however if you are advertising and people pay for a rate with “breakfast included” there should be no restrictions. After I went back to check the site again and nowhere did I see “breakfast for 2 only”. It’s wrong and you are deceiving people. If I’m paying $460 for 2 night I expected a clean pool, and don’t tell me I have to lie about my daughters age to get a free breakfast which you originally told me it was included.

The staff was friendly and the hotel was easy to find. The bed was comfortable and room was clean. The breakfast was very good. Checking in and out was easy

Relax and enjoyable
    • Standard Room

Every time we have to pass through the reception before we can access to elevator

spacious room, clean and well arranged, close to shopping and eating facilities.

Room was very clean with a selection of pillows to amp up...
    • Executive King Room

More Keurig pods in room?

Room was very clean with a selection of pillows to amp up the level of comfort. Keurig pods allow you one coffee each to get your day rolling in the morning before heading down for an amazing breakfast! It is located in Kanata Centrum, which gives you a huge variety of options to eat/shop/entertain yourself.

I received a new room and an upgrade, at that - because the...

The price - it was probably inflated for the Tulip Festival, but still.

I received a new room and an upgrade, at that - because the heating system in the first room made intermittent high screeching sounds. Claudia helped me and gave me the upgrade. The suite was beautiful.

The front desk staff were not that friendly, rarely looked...
    • Standard Room

The front desk staff were not that friendly, rarely looked up from computers . We booked a double room with two queen beds and ended up with one queen and one pull out sofa.

We had a great comfy stay minus the little few things.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

Found a few hairs in the tub and bed. Possibly have the rooms a little more clean. Also unable to access vending machines on our floor to purchase a drink . Parking could have been set up better per room number as my car got swipped and scratched . Would have been nice to know who was parked beside us and a camera in the parking lot

Bed was extra comfy and staff very friendly and accomidating

So great to be so close to CTC and use transit! Awesome time!

The hotel restaurant did not seem to have enough staff so the service was extremely slow. Will go out next time to alleviate any worries of not making it to the concert on time.

The beds and the pillows were awesome!! So comfy! We didn’t end up eating breakfast there since we slept in and then went out.

View was good.

The onsite indoor pool and hot tub were out of order but staff did supply vouchers to a nearby pool. Did not like local taxi services to CTC

View was good. Restaurant staff and food was really good

First choice for a staycation in the city that includes an...

First choice for a staycation in the city that includes an Ottawa Senators game. Just minutes from the rink. Fabulous restaurant on site for a pre-game dinner and breakfast before morning check-out. Always a consistent positive experience.

Great service, and location. Easy shuttles to Canadian Tire Centre.

I have only positive comments for this hotel.

This hotel is an excellent choice especially if going to Sens game. City shuttle outside the door to the arena. Service excellent, shout out to Paul at the Front Desk for the personable hospitality and the excellent customer service he provides.. Hotel located next to restaurants and shops. Very good location.

Love it! Will be back
    • Executive Queen Suite

More hotel info avaliable in the room. A small pamphlet of hotel detail would have been nice.. Ex:Check out time, restaurant hours, pool hours and rules.Also maybe a small gift shop on-site.

The free morning breakfast was amazing. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Loved that my children were welcomed at the same respect as the adults.

Location of Hotel is good.

Sheets in room were not changed between guests, bedside table dirty. :( Unusual for this chain and this hotel but unacceptable!!

Location of Hotel is good. When there was an issue with the cleaniness of the room they offer to relocate me immediately and refunded my room 100% in the morning.

The bed was extra comfy,room service was quick.
    • Deluxe Room

The bed was extra comfy,room service was quick.had issue with a bunch kid Who’s we’re partying in the hallway at 23:00, one call to front desk it’s took five minutes and the problems was fixed.

Our overall stay was awesome, employee's were always ready to assist!
    • Queen Suite

We didn't like that there wasnt a complimentary breakfast.

We loved the resturant in the hotel. The pool was open 24hrs we really enjoyed this, since the pool was filled with children all day it gave the adults their own free time!!! Complementary tea or coffee in the lobby in the morning and a couple days in the late afternoon for new guest ariving in the cold.

Staff at front desk were amazing.
    • Queen Suite

Pool was out of order for annual cleaning.. was not made aware of that. Should of been given free breakfast or discount for that.

Staff at front desk were amazing. From check in to check out all super frequently and helpful.

Great place to stay.
    • Deluxe Room

We didn’t like the fact that our glasses or coffee cups were not replaced when used. I would have liked the restaurant to be open later, as there were quite a few of us there for the curling and didn’t get back until almost 10 pm and the restaurant was closed, so we couldn’t even sit and have drinks or anything. To me they should adjust their hours to supply their customers.

The room was great. Liked having the suite. Very nice accommodations. Food was excellent at Grannitti’s restaurant, attached to hotel.

It was nice
    • Deluxe Room

The bar only open until 11pm we would get back from the curling we were watching and there was no where to sit and talk with the group we came with

The room was nice. Enjoyed having the coffee and tea in the room for the morning

• Standard Room

4 ladies away for the weekend. I booked 2 double beds and got a suite with a pull out for 2 nights, almost $500.00. The hotel and booking.com told me that that is only a preference when you book online and not guaranteed. Needless to say we were not pleased. Won't use booking.com again.

The hotel is nice and its in a good location.

Good hotel, great location

good location , on the HWY Near Wal-Mart and Bestbuy Lot's of parking Breakfast is not a buffet, served by waitress. you need to add $ for Cappuccino.

Fantastic, would definitely go back!
    • Executive Queen Suite

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The facilities were clean and tidy. The pool was great especially with little kids. The breakfast included was awesome and the kids loved the food on the kids menu.

Overall a decent stay
    • Queen Suite

The bed was awful and very uncomfortable and made my back very sore. The shower and water pressure was bad and the keycard randomly just de-activated!

The hotel had bath and body works toiletries that smelled so good! The room was spacious and very quiet and there was a ton of space to park around the hotel. The pool was also very nice.

Nice hotel. Great staff. Very close to many shopping and entertainment areas.
    • Standard Room

Two weddings booked at this location. Our room was booked on the same floor as many of the kids attending wedding. Kids running around late at night. Music from hall (2nd floor) could be be heard in our room (3rd floor)

Convinient location for why we came to Kanata. Close to amenities.

Great.

I've stayed here a few times for business, always pleasant, room is very nice and the facilities clean. Easy to have a good breakfast before I leave in the morning. Will stay here again.

the quick response I received when an email was sent.

the quick response I received when an email was sent. I wasn't certain the booking of the room had been received and a response was received within the hour. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were very comfortable. We are planning a return trip in December and we will certainly keep this hotel in mind when making a reservation.

Hotel was fine but wouldn't stay there again because I need to be able to sleep
    • Queen Suite

No hair dryer - sofa too short - sofa bed mattress too thin - Keurig coffee maker didn't work - OC Transpo Bus Depot facing room - noise from busses Rev-ING up to speed - Street racers using Box Mall roads across street -in middle of night -wedding guests making a lot of noise banging doors shouting in hallway -all this wakes you up - Hard to get a good night's sleep - also "extra large" double bed too narrow

I Liked that it was a suite with multiple doors for noise control - door to close off walk in closet from living area and another door to close off bedroom - doors to separTe living & bedrooms

Great location, friendly staff

The parking lot maintenance going on at the time of travel was a little inconvenient, but understandable....but why are the parking spaces so small??! You cannot fit a normal sized vehicle into a spot without hitting the car next to you with your car door when you exit your vehicle.

Loved the Bath and Bodyworks toiletries!! Also, the staff was friendly. On the booking email, it said breakfast was available for $12 each, so we assumed it was a breakfast buffet. The staff member very nicely looked into it and explained that it was a la carte breakfast. Great breakfast nonetheless.

The bed was super comfy, and the gym was the perfect place...

The bed was super comfy, and the gym was the perfect place to start our day. The restaurant downstairs, Graffiti's was delicious. We ate breakfast and dinner there.

Clean and modern. Easy access to Ottawa sights.

Popular wedding venue so very busy this past weekend. We did not know this but we were very glad we stayed in a room on the 7th floor.

A very comfortable stay. Clean and modern. Very easy drive via highway to Ottawa. Good restaurants in the area. Shopping. Cinema. Will stay in this hotel again.

Bed was comfy.
    • Standard Room

beyond their control was pounding on the ground by a construction company outside across the road shaking the building and making noise.

Bed was comfy.

The hotel was very clean and the room was ideal.
    • Executive Queen Suite

Would have liked / expected tea making facilities in the bedroom.

The hotel was very clean and the room was ideal. The bar downstairs was really good - way better than I expected and the breakfast was fantastic!

Getaway close to Home
    • Queen Suite

We like the location-close proximity to the Theatre,Stores and Restaurants, The staff were great and the room was quiet and the bed comfortable. We had a nice Father's day breakfast with family the next morning.

The location was great.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

I paid for an executive suite with a jacuzzi. I over paid. The bed was super comfortable. The room, shower and jacuzzi were small. It was extremely noisy.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Did not meet expectations
    • Queen Suite

No vending machines, no convenience store so very limited selection of snacks available only through concierge. Ice machines are not on every floor, so I had to trek to a different floor to get ice. Mini fridge was empty.

They didn't question my service dog's presence The bedroom could be separated from the leisure / office area

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Great stay not impressed with restaurant

Went for breakfast at the restaurant terrible terrible slow service !!! Food was ok very expensive and server forgot one meal ! Won't be back there !

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Ring around the collar.
    • Executive Queen Suite

The cleanliness in my bathroom upset me tremendously! The toilet seat was not cleaned from previous guests and there was visible feces and urine on the seat! Rather than report this and be "one of those guests'" we decided to use the public washrooms in the hotel instead. Each time we were greeted by a staff, they were very stone faced. Not a friendly atmosphere at all!! They didn't seem happy working for this hotel chain. I've stayed at Holiday Inn in the past and had great experiences. But this experience was absolutely brutal! Sorry for this negativity. I'm never one to complain publicly. Thank you for sending this questionnaire as this is great insight for this chain to increase their service and hotel popularity to future guest.

I liked the gym facilities. All equipment was working well and very organized and clean. No problems st check in as my room was ready when I arrived.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Great staff, very nice falicity

I have no complaints.

Room was clean and well appointed, The temperature of the room was good and well maintained. The staff was available, helpful, and very friendly. Food in the restaurant was very good - dinner and breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Food under par

The restaurant was awful. Long wait for service and the food was not worth the prices they charge. The pizza tasted like a frozen pizza and the chicken parm was overcooked. If we hadnt been in a hurry we would have sent it back.

The bed/pillows were comfy and the room was very clean

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Enjoyable, stress free night away!

The pool was small and crowded. To improve the experience, consider expanding it with a waterslide for the kids!

We really appreciated the people at the front desk when we checked in. Paul greeted us and was professional, witty, and helpful with info about the hotel and the area. Fantastic staff compared to other hotels I've stayed at in the area.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Great hotel! Bad mattress on pull out couch!!!
    • Queen Suite

My daughter was unable to sleep on the pull out couch. The mattress was very uncomfortable- the springs were sticking out of it. It's a good thing she was able to sleep in my bed with me. I can't believe you would have a mattress in this kind of condition!

That there was a restaurant in the hotel and a pool. It was close to shopping

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

A great stay for families!

The staff was extra friendly and helpful with my kids. Everything was very clean including the pool. The location was very easy to find right off of the highway and the restaurant gives hotel guests 1 free kids meal with the purchase of a full price meal! Plus plenty of parking near the entrance.

The was good. And clean
    • Standard Room

We have dreadfas on the hotel (pancakes)and the was cold cold.and some people on the hallway there was noise .We have to call the front desk 2 times

The cost of the hotel was right and location nice

Holiday Inn Rating
    • Executive Queen Suite

No creamers in fridge for coffee!!!...not large enough supply of shampoo, & towels for 4 of us....pool should be open pater. ..till 1:00 a.m...definitely need more parking space...and other entrances

Shower heads, pull our bed, coffee in room

Not too pleased
    • Executive Queen Suite

The mattress on the sofa bed was paper thin. You could feel the springs digging into your back. Our room was not clean at all, we had dirt on the bathroom floor; also, we found dirty underware under the bed from previous guests. Not a good experience at all.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

It was close to where we needed to be.
    • Queen Suite

the door to ice machine slammed all afternoon and evening to the point of waking us up more than once, this really disappointed me as we were there to relax, when i mentioned o the girl when we checked out all she said was she would have someone look at it. the room was so cold even when we put up the heat it would not warm up, we had it at 26 at one point.

It was close to where we needed to be. great service by staff.

Relaxing & Clean

We tride the in-hotel restaurant for dinner and the food was terrible. We went back for breakfast, though, and it was excellent. So maybe it was just a bad recipe. We could not eat the chicken & pasta. It was really awful.

Very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Ok but crap wifi connection
    • Standard Room

Worst wifi ever. I only had connection for 2of 8 days. I had to go to the front desk to get on, then 2 days later it bumped me off again.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

The breakfast was fine, the pool and exercise facilities...
    • Executive Queen Suite

I was under the impression that I was getting queen beds in my room, however I was given two doubles, which really didn't fit our needs.

The breakfast was fine, the pool and exercise facilities were fine.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Great room layout design
    • Executive Queen Suite

The sofa was dusty when trying to unfold it, no extra comforter was available.

Loved the room with separated areas - gave us some privacy, it was very well thought out layout. Restaurant was great, service as well. Our son loved the swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Enjoyed the facility
    • Standard Room

Bathroom too small, no counter space at all. Price could have been cheaper, considering size. Dining could use more staff for breakfast serving.

Premises well located, very clean and welcoming when you arrive, staff friendly and courteous.Room was average size, the bed was extra confortable . Breakfast was good, Very good for one night stay.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Good
    • Executive Queen Suite

The restaurant only opened at 7am. We didn't have enough bedsheets in the room or towels.

The service was good. The staff was very helpful and answered all our questions.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Great time
    • Executive Queen Suite

I really can't say anything bad ..we were there for a wedding and we all had a great time .

The free breakfast that came with our rate was awesome ..great way to start the day with some real cooked food in a nice restaurant. Kids enjoyed the pool but said it was a little small but they has one . We were in walking distance to everything so that was great .

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Good hotel but dinner was disappointing

The chicken parmesan dinner was partly undercooked and could not be entirely eaten. I showed this to the staff and they agreed. I thought I would then wait to see how they responded and I found it disappointing that the meal was still charged the full amount.

The room with two Queen beds was large and clean.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Paul at front desk is awesome but the sofa beds aren't fit for a dog!
    • Executive Queen Suite

The sofa bed in the suite was like sleeping on metal Springs. I've seriously in my entire life never experienced anything like it. My poor cousin woke up with lines on her cheeks from the springs in the so called mattress. These beds aren't fit for a dog!!!

Paul at the front desk was AWESOME!!! He really knows how to please his guests & offers incredible customer service.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Surprise! Breakfast is not included!

Breakfast was supposed to be included and they insisted on charging us, so after the first morning we went elsewhere for breakfast. We booked because of the "breakfast included" which we usually enjoy. Live an learn,, probably never stay at another Holiday Inn as a result. For the rest it was clean and pleasant.

Clean and comfy.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Beautiful clean hotel-loud on Saturday night
    • Queen Suite

Hide a bed unbelievably UNconfrotable. Also there were drunken partiers in the hallway. Very little sleep for 200$. Disappointed in that. I told front desk the next am and he said "oh I thought that would have been a Good room-sorry"

Clean. Nice bed and shower

Excellent, will definately stay again.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

The room was fantastic. The complimentary breakfast was the best we have ever had in a hotel.

Good hotel, nice breakfast, not buffet
    • Executive King Room

Good hotel, nice breakfast, not buffet

Room is clean!

Room is clean! fridge , microwave and keireg coffee maker is a bunos... staff are very friendly and helpful

Pool area

Great customer service and comfy bed!

Great place to stay close to everything

Great place to stay close to everything

We had a mini vacation, it was too short, facilities were very nice.

Bed was excellent

No continental breakfast

No continental breakfast

Lack of parent supervision by the pool.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

Lack of parent supervision by the pool. Children were running around and screaming to the point where we couldn’t even use the pool.

room a lot smaller than expected for a "suite"

room a lot smaller than expected for a "suite"

proximity to venues of Commerce
    • Queen Suite

Decent Wi-Fi can almost win a game of fortnite lol

proximity to venues of Commerce

Close to CTC

Close to CTC

Pool and hot tub were shut down and no compensation offered.
    • Queen Suite

Pool and hot tub were shut down and no compensation offered.

This was very convenient, comfortable and for the most part met our needs.

No counter space in bathroom.

Beds were very comfortable