Reviews of Irwin's Mountain Inn 3 stars

429 Banff Avenue, T1L 1B2 Banff, Canada

#20 of 46 hotels in Banff

• Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Our non-smoking room was located right next to the smoking area. So joy only could we not have the windows open because of the smoke but there was also no privacy with people often outside the window looking in. The layout of the room also wasn’t great with the bathroom basin located in the main bedroom

• Standard King Room

We had balcony,but the sliding door can't be open, only 4 cm so is useless,Window is a problem as well. You are in the mountains and can't get fresh air. So the machines are working all day and night ,what about climate change?Than in the middle of the night around 2am alarm went on and some people screeming, really for the money I spent there $294(Ca $) wasn't good choise.When I cheked out only they said I am sorry, I should get some discount on the room. No breakfast!!!!

good location, parking is easy

• Queen Suite

The room was quite noisy, we had a lot of noise from other guests arguing in the hallway in the middle of the night for a long time. Garage was too low, and incorrectly indicated by a bar showing the height, resulting in problematic parking and us being close to having damage on the roof of our car. Insufficient alternatives were offered for parking at the property. Reception staff was completely uninterested in the guests and looked very annoyed all day. The swimming pool was occupied by teenagers playing loud music. At other times the swimming pool was closed for maintenance. Accommodation looks outdated and worn out. For the high price charged in a ‘low’ season, the value we received was at an unacceptable low level.

Our experience was really disappointing, it is hard to sum up some positives.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Our meal in the restaurant was dreadful, Mexican food was bland and lukewarm, very small portions disguised by lashings of limp lettuce!! When we complained our waitress, Shannon with a smile, explained that Mexican food is not spicy!! For a reasonably expensive restaurant in a beautiful resort, a huge huge disappointment.

Fantastic location with great views of the Rockies all around. Receptionist Suna was especially helpful.

• Family Suite

No air conditioning in the room. Fans were not enough. It should be mentioned that toiletries are not included so guest can bring their own. There was only one set of shampoos/conditioner/soap.

Location was perfect

Front desk staff

The staff is not really friendly, probably because they are young and not focused yet. front line staff should be more mature and professional. The parking lot squishy but during that time it was on construction and hopefully, they can improve this one too.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The whole place smelt like chlorine. It may have been because it was a public holiday but I thought the prices where a little steep for what the hotel was offering. They also have very limited parking.

It’s a great location if your looking to be near downtown Banff, walking distance is about 5 min.

We loved everything.

We had an amazing experience! To be honest, we were very pleasantly surprised‼ You just never know what you are going to get sometimes; and reading reviews online sometimes scare you away from trying hotels in Banff outside of the Fairmont and the Rim Rock. The staff were incredible and super friendly! The location is perfectly stationed in almost the middle of the strip. The room and bathroom were super clean, cleaner than a room we stayed at, at the Fairmont during one of our stays there. If Banff wasn’t all sold out over the weekend we probably would have gone with our usual Fairmont or Rim Rock bookings, but I am glad it was otherwise we never would have found this hidden GEM! Thanks Maddie‼

• Queen Suite

They were renovating the parking lot so we had to park on the street a few blocks away. Our room had a view of the construction, which started at 9:00 in the morning, but it will be nice when it's done.

The restaurant had wonderful eggs and great staff.

• Standard King Room

Staff seemed grumpy and not entirely welcoming. There was a stain on the bedsheet, and several strands of hair on the sheets under the covers prior to using. There was also no iron or ironing board in the room.

Beds and pillows were comfortable.

• Standard King Room

Originally bought for 2 nights with booking.com and then booked a further night directly with hotel. You think it would be simple but no, it caused them complete confusion. They checked us out after day 2 and all our belongings were still in our room. You have to pay a large security deposit here so ended up paying it twice. 250 dollars a night. Still waiting for it to go back onto my card.

Good hotel, very clean and beds very comfortable. Location was great, close to all the restaurants and shops.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The only complaint would be with the heavy rain we had the under ground parking leaked bad and we had lots of water we had to walk through to get to the doors

They gave us a complimentary upgraded room.. staff was helpful and friendly... helped us with directions to attractions... room was so nice and a view of the mountains and they let us stay parked after we checked out while we walked around town for a couple hours... excited to go back again!

• Queen Suite

The place has a 250 dollar deposit policy not mentioned when reservation is made. If using a debit card, this means the card is charged this amount plus cost of stay upon arrival, and they promise to reimburse instantly upon departure (it actually took three days for refund to show in my bank account) Commenting on the policy at check out, the supervisor told me that “every hotel iin Banff and Jasper did it” and that I was welcome to go straight home if I did not like it. This is not true and I just finished a multi day trip through region with an excellent experience....plenty of similar places in Whistler, go somewhere else

Adequate motel, but experience at check in and out made stay unpleasant

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our AC unit was broken, I think it worked.. but it was turning on and off all night. I’m sure we could have got it fixed if we had asked, but we had only realized late in the evening once we were ready for bed.

Cleanliness of room, comfy beds!

• Room Selected at Check-In

no proper ironing board. Borrowed one from reception that was about 2 feet long. No safe in room Only coffee white. No milk Outdated

friendly reception

• Queen Suite

The only reason this wasn't an excellent stay was because of excessive noise at two o'clock in the morning that seemed to go on and on.

Excellent staff and wonderful room.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our rental car got run into in parking garage and whoever did it, did not tell us.. Not your fault, but put a damper in our trip.

Room was clean.bed was comfortable.Carpets in hallway need to be updated.

• Standard King Room

The only thing we didnt like was it didnt have a pool but does have a hotub.

Friendly staff, very clean, comfy beds. It was a short walk to everything. We had a beautiful view.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Heating in the room is a little noisy when it kicks in but that's a minor niggle. What is it about hotels that other guests think it is OK to have loud conversations in the corridors at 3 a.m. as if they were at home?

The basics are done really well; comfortable rooms, quiet, good bathrooms etc. Staff were great and could not have been more helpful. Location is good and you can walk into Banff town centre in 10 minutes.

• Family Suite

Location was great , family room was fantastic, 3 queens , separate room , sitting area . Plenty of room for us ladies to hang out after touring the town . Cleaning staff did a great job on the room , and the girls at the front desk were lovely . Had all our breakfasts in the restaurant plus one evening for tapas . All was great . I will definitely rebook at the Irwin.

• Room Selected at Check-In

on the main drag with easy walking distance to everything in Banff. Free private parking available and shuttle bus stop to the mountains almost right in front. The spa and sauna although not huge a great treat after skiing.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking is in an underground garage. It's VERY low, 5'10" or 5' 11", so be careful if you have a larger vehicle.

The room was spacious, clean, and had everything we needed. It's within walking distance of downtown Banff, without being right in town.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The front desk couldn't help with a simple request for a safety pin. Phone in room didn't work and sound of people walking above came through too easily.

Location was good and parking was included. Room was attractive and comfortable. Staff was friendly.

• Family Suite

Parking was a little tight, and very full late in the day, doors close with a slam which can be annoying when you are trying to sleep and other people are coming back to their rooms from the bar at 2am

Mini kitchen in room was handy, location was great, and free parking

• Room Selected at Check-In

There was nothing I didn't like. All good.

I stayed only overnight. Didn't have any time to venture out because there was a snowstorm in the morning and I was traveling to Ontario.

• Queen Suite

A very long hair in the bathtub that couldn’t have come from anyone in our party. Yuck! A black hair against a white porcelain surface shouldn’t escape the attention of housekeeping.

The staff was cordial although I had requested early check in and was bluntly told I had asked for no feathers but there was no record of early check in. I was told I could park & come back and check in at 4PM.

• Queen Suite

The staff could have been a little friendlier/accommodating. The hot tub was also closed for maintenance on the long weekend.

Good value for money. The place was very clean and free parking was available. Anything in Banff centre is within walking distance. Would stay again if prices remain competitive.

• Queen Suite

The location of the hot top was not good. Whenever we came to lobby you could smell of the hot top. The gym was not good too.

It was pet-friendly. And I like it because I have a dog and it was perfect for me.

• Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Our “balcony” was just a grate over the door looking into the parkade as we were on the first floor. The walls are so thin and we were on the first floor so we heard people talking outside and in the hall. There were people partying for a long time and we could not sleep. We asked for front desk to request for them to be quiet. They followed through on this but then the people continued to party. Overall fair stay.

The room was clean and comfortable. Beds were nice and bathroom was very tidy. The hot tub and sauna were nice touches too!

• Queen Suite

Mattresses were super comfy. The location was also fantastic. It was close to everything. We only stayed 1 night therefore I can't comment on all the other facilities but we were happy with the room and the service. Room was clean, well equipped and cozy. 3 of us needed a room to share (1 couple and myself) and it was really handy that one of the beds was in a separated room in a room section. It was brilliant! Staff were also helpful and friendly.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The check-in staff made us feel very unwelcome and as if we were an inconvenience for her to wait on us. If not for everyone else we would not return.

Everyone with the exception of the check-in staff was excellent

• Family Suite

Wifi had major issues when we were there but this was apparently a recent development that also plagued the front desk and they were trying to get it resolved.

Comfy bed. Kitchenette worked well for us.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The window and room door could be more sound proof.

Many ski catering hotels have dank, musty, run-down rooms......Irwin's rooms were extremely clean and no odor whatsoever and allergies did not react at all. Irwin's is located just outside the late night area of Banff so it is relatively quiet. You could hear the occasional late night group walking on the sidewalk and you could hear people walking in the halls....which is typical of many hotels. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I will definitely choose Irwin's as my first choice on my next visit.

• Standard King Room

Walls were thin against the hallway and the bed was right next to that wall. When people walked by you could hear everything.

Bed was comfy, clean, bath tub with jets was really relaxing, big spacious room.

• Family Suite

Front desk staff could’ve been nicer, Iike not rolling their eyes when asked if we could have a 3rd room key for our room (slept six adults), just one example.

I liked the location, close enough to walk into town

• Standard King Room

Location is very good, close to downtown. It has been recently renovated, modern and clean. Has sauna and jacuzzi which is a bonus. I would recommend this place.

• Standard King Room

the parkade was very small and I had a hard time getting my small suv in there with all the other cars in the parkade

They upgraded our room to the honeymoon suite which was nice because my boyfriend had said how it would have been nice if I booked the room with a Jacuzzi.

• Standard King Room

I think the reception and outside could be updated just a little bit but that’s nothing major.

The rooms were lovely, clean and modern. The beds were so comfy and so were the pillows. I was traveling to Banff for the first time on my own and the staff was amazing with assisting me on what I should do, see and how to get to places. I couldn’t of asked for more

• Queen Suite

The room may look clean but we found hair on the pillows & bedsheet on both beds, obviously the pillow cases & bed sheets were not change. Housekeepers only made the bed. Thank goodness we had our sleeping beds with us.

The location.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The font desk who works in the morning is not nice........and she isn’t happy when we ask did them have any place can put our luggage..... She is not friendly.....but another front desk is very nice!

The room is very clean and neat! The front desk at night are very nice🙂

• Family Suite

The room said it could sleep 6 people but with only 3 people in it we were very cramped. There are enough beds for 6 people but not enough room for 3 people and 3 suitcases. Separate bedroom in family suite had terrible lighting. Had to use my phone light to go through suitcase. Spa is quite small and can get very busy. Also rarely were there enough towels in pool area. Expensive washing facilities $3 for each load of washing and drying.

Easy to catch bus to mountains. Short walk to town. Lovely bathroom with nice bathtub.

• Standard King Room

Small bathroom, somewhat rough towels and no cream rinse. The towel rack was cheap and fell down several times because it was poorly made. Our room was supposed to have a couch, but had a dresser instead. (Not sure if it made a difference since I needed to space for my clothes.) Also, there were no napkins, plastic spoons or forks in the room, even though there was a fridge and microwave. Lastly, there are no safes in any of the rooms - you can use a safe at the front desk, but that was not convenient for me.

Irwin's is an old style, rather plain hotel. It is a 3-star and nothing more. There are no views, the bathroom was small and stark (tiny shampoo bottles, no cream rinse or body lotion). But, I knew going in that it was nothing fancy. Even so, I ended up liking Irwin's a lot. Its a very good value, its very well-located on the edge of town and within easy walking distance to everything. The rooms are clean, the heater worked well, the bed was very comfortable and there is heated underground parking, which was probably the best feature of all. Although I did not use the washing facilities, I noticed that there were 4-5 washing machines that guests can use. There is also a pool table/tv room, although it was in the basement and not particularly appealing to me. Also, there is indoor ski/board storage if you need it. The restaurant next door is very convenient for a good breakfast and offers a nice happy hour as well. The lobby has a strong smell of chlorine from the pool/spa. Most importantly, all of the staff were exceptionally nice and helpful.

• Queen Suite

Staff. Did not like receiving a letter staying we were smoking in our room and then being told we were smoking weed. I am 50 and have never smoked pot

• Room Selected at Check-In

The hotel is antiquated and smelly. The entire main lobby and hallways wreak of sewer. It gets really strong as you walk towards the restaraunt ... the lower the floor area the stronger the stench. I am surprised Canada health services allow this place a licence. The hottub is stainless steel, the outside edges freeze and stick to your skin. The deck is covered in snow. The jets apparently are out of service. There is nowhere outside to keep snow out of your shoes or to hang your towel. 330 in the pm and your bed is not made nor your towels or bathroom supplies replenished. Honestly, a fresh coat of paint and some wall paper does not make an old dumpy place quaint. Absolutely not worth the price.

The restaraunt is quite good.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Group of 18year old kids from UK on ski course that are staying at hotel for few weeks. Noisy and disrespectful- tried to speak with hotel staff, but weren’t very helpful. Check before you stay...

Good facilities/amenities and great location. Underground parking was ideal

• Room Selected at Check-In

Room was too hot on arrival and took a long time to cool down. The pool is in a different building too fast from this location.

Hot tub was great. Hotel was quiet.

• Room Selected at Check-In

A little congested walking to and from the parkade - on check out, some doors were closed off enroute to parkade to allow for staff working (garbage was being sorted?) - perhaps better signage indicating the area was closed for a short period while the work was being done.

Room were newly decorated and looked great. Bed really comfortable!

• Family Suite

Sofa bed was not suitable for two adults to sleep on. Staff were not very accomodating when we brought this up with them. There were other rooms we could have moved to with 3 beds instead of 2 beds and a sofa bed.

• Standard King Room

The check in was very easy and the woman was very kind. Our room was beautiful and the bed was huge and so comfy. Could see the mountains from our window so that was a plus! Place was very clean. Location was a 3 block walk to the main stores! I would absolutely come back.

• Standard King Room

There were not many amenities nor pajamas. I wish there were a changing room by the hot tub as we had to get changed in our room and walked there.

The room was very clean and the hotel was close to the middle of the town.

• Family Suite

We were 5 adults so we booked a family suite which was very small. No room for luggage so had to climb over it when getting out of bed. Very disappointing! Seems to cater to a younger crowd so noisy at night with parties in rooms especially on weekend.

Nice to have underground parking although a tight fit do to all kinds of construction material laying around

• Standard King Room

Could use another chair for us both to be able to sit comfortably and maybe a lamp.

Recently renovated in most of the hotel, the rest soon to be completed. It is basic, but all we needed. Hot Tub and Sauna were nice, this is an older facility but has new carpet, and tile in rooms. New bathroom fixtures etc.

• Standard King Room

The rooms are not very sound proof, we could hear people coughing and blow drying their hair early in the morning. We also didn’t expect the $20 per dog. If a hotel says that it is pet friendly they should show the cost for pets.

The food at the restaurant was good, and the staff was very friendly and helpful

• Queen Suite

I wish they could have provided toothpaste and breakfast with such a price.

The room’s spacious and the beds were queen size, which were very comfy. Also, it’s in the Banff town, very convenient to get to restaurants, stores etc.

• Family Suite

Extremely limited hanging space for jackets, towels etc. (3 adults & 2 teenagers shared 3 draws and a hanging space about 2 feet wide with 6 hangers). Room had glasses, mugs, microwave & coffee maker but no cutlery to eat anything you may have heated. Had to get plastic spoons from reception & buy bowls for breakfast. Only used microwave for popcorn, shame as lots of convenience meals available in town.

Good location, room was very clean and warm, hot tub great after cold day skiing, underground parking convenient, coin laundry handy when travelling with kids. We stayed in a family room with 1 small bedroom (barely enough room to walk around the bed) & a queen bed & sofa bed in living room. Ok for 1 or 2 nights but would consider bigger room for longer stays if family of 5.

• Queen Suite

Our room was a little cold. Utensils or kitchenware were not available despite there being a microwave and kitchen sink.

The beds were comfy. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

-No mircrowave -Tight parking/no underground for trucks -Didn't let us check in a couple hours earlier after driving through the night and day - No continental breakfast offered

- large hot tub - outside the busy-ness of downtown - nice pillows and large tv

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms had large holes cut into them to accomodate an air conditioning unit. When the weather is -25 the room was freezing, even with the heat blasted you could not beat the draft & having a 2 year old it was not ideal.

I liked that the staff were friendly & the location is great.

• Standard King Room

It was overall a good experience.Rooms were pretty clean and the staff was friendly. The location was very convenient for us to take on the public transportation.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parkade was too small and hard to navigate in. Sauna and hot tub were shut down my entire stay (4 days) for maintenance.

It was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly. Housekeepers would greet me and made me feel welcomed. Pretty close to some restaurants. 10 minute walk to the town which was nice.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hallways and lobby were not fancy, but our room was great. We were on the top floor and had cathedral ceilings. Our room was quiet, and the bed was comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We tried to go to the hotel restaurant one evening at 9pm. It said in several places that it was open until 10pm, but we were turned away and told the kitchen was closed. That was very frustrating.

We had a really great stay. The hotel gave us a free upgrade to accommodate a request I had which I was a lovely surprise. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. The location is great, within walking distance to everything in town. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was very good.

• Standard King Room

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We were given a room with a view as requested. The staff were very helpful on both check in and check out. Also having El Toro Restaurant connected was good. We had a wonderful meal there and the waitress was great. Also we got a great deal since we were there during the week. We will definitely stay there again

• Standard King Room

One thing I always look forward to is free breakfast in the morning unfortunately Irwin’s did not have this option, you got 10% off dinner at the restaurant downstairs.

The king sized bed was amazing, so comfortable unlike other hotels.

• Family Suite

Banff was incredible we would go back in a heart beat. The property was ok wasn't a favorite. It had everything you need right in the heart of the town of Banff. There was a huge party of young girls in the next room to us. They were loud and very rude yelling and screaming in the hallway at 8pm when they were going out. They came back at 210 am running down the hallway making all kinds of noise. I asked them to please stop they continued to yell. Hotel didn't care at all. Didn't sleep all night really ruined our stay

That I had to leave !

Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff were kind and helpful. Location great for tourists! Would return in a second!

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I wish we had known there would be construction ahead of time -- but it didn't really effect us as we were out most of the day exploring.

Bed, pillows and linens were super comfortable! I like a firm mattress and you can tell when a mattress is high quality. Room was very clean. We were mysteriously upgraded to a suite and it made our stay relaxing. I have stayed here before and this trip reiterated to me that I will always book a room here when I am in Banff. It's great to walk downtown and the price is reasonable.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff member at the desk was most unfriendly when we arrived. However, aster that the staff was very nice. The lighting in the room was poor. As they were going to renovate our floor, we took into consideration the lack of maintenance. The parkade was leaking in many spots and actually was rotting in other areas. Perhaps they were going to renovate that area???

Housekeeping was very good.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The fact that you could not smoke on the room balconies did not make me happy. Very inconvenient.

Clean rooms, comfy beds and the club chairs at the table in the room were a nice touch.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Beds are quite hard and uncomfortable, a/c in the room was technically working, but the motor was on its last leg and very loud.

Great view from the balcony!

• Standard King Room

Tiny room. Comfortable bed. Not able to block out streetlights entirely. For me, the biggest piece was that there was no desk or table. I can't recall the last time - if any time - I was in a room without a table. I had a big project to work on and no place to work on it. It never occurred to me to verify that there'd be a desk or table!!! I can see that Irwins is set up for skiers - with lockers downstairs and so on. I am sure it would be great for that. But for someone who needs a room to act as an office, this is not a match.

Staff were great. Very helpful tips to local restaurants and easy about parking for loading, unloading, etc. Room was clean and bed comfy. Easy to walk to the centre of Banff.

• Standard King Room

The property needs major renovations, very outdated. Carpet was ripped, stains in bathroom floor. Over priced for what you get, not a beautiful ambience inside. Feels Grundy and not clean .

The location is great, walking distance to downtown. Underground parking is nice but not enough for all guests. Views are awesome.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I would recommend taking the jet tub out as it is noisy and takes a long time to fill. If one is trying to be eco-conscious, then this would be a start.

In Banff, hotel prices can be extremely high. I though Irwin's Mountain Inn rate was reasonable for the time of year and the fact that it being Canada's 150, likely to have later season guests. The staff was outstanding, the room, clean and comfortable. Good parking and access to the centre of Banff was a bonus.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Despite being late September and 0c outside, the room was boiling. Aircon is provided however this was very noisy when trying to sleep.

Very friendly and accommodating staff.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was pretty pricey for what you get - but then again we were in the mountains, so it's hard to judge if it was overpriced compared to other places. If you have a large vehicle (i.e. SUV or bigger) then getting into the car park could be a challenge - arrive early!

The location is great, but then Banff is pretty small. Only a short walk to the centre of town. There was a mix up with our keys, but the woman behind the desk sorted it quickly and courteously. Hotel was clean and rooms had everything you could want, including a fridge. Other guests complained of noise, but we had no problem and we were on the side of the building adjacent to the hostel bar next door.