2. Canada hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Laurie's Motor Inn

Reviews of Laurie's Motor Inn 3 stars

15456 Cabot Trail, B0E 1H0 Chéticamp, Canada

#8 of 8 hotels in Chéticamp

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 30 October 2018

Was lovely for the short time we were there.

That everything was closed at the motel. We wish the website would have indicated that your season ended on October 20. We were very disappointed to find there was no breakfast area open and no front desk staff on duty.

The bed was super comfy and the rooms were so clean and huge!! Was nice for a change to actually be able to move around without tripping over each other or furniture.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

It was a fine place to stay, but I wouldn't return.

Mattress seemed a bit bowed. I felt like I was sleeping in a saucer. Place is a bit dated. Breakfast ok. It was the second most expensive place we stayed of thirteen nights around Nova Scotia and all of the other places were better. Perhaps the rates are just higher in Cheticamp, but the value for the cost was too low.

Place was big, clean and well located.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2018

Rooms were dated but clean beds were comfy.

No mini fridges or a microwaves in room these are items that my husband and I value.

Rooms were dated but clean beds were comfy. We were in the main office building. Large flat screen TV, spacious room. We were there the last night of the season Oct 26 I believe a Friday, so no resturant or ice but pizza shop minutes drive away very central location. Biggest motel in Cheticamp we are told.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

This was way too much money for what was given to us. It might be good in the summer

We were charged more than quoted. We were not informed breakfast buffet was closed. We were also not informed that the ice machine had been turned off.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

Would not repeat the stay there

The up sell for 30$ As we booked for a couple and were told it was more money because they only saw 1 person registration. The breakfast was not full and the food was less than fresh. And the referral for dinner to the doryman was not good pub food. I think they were linked somehow.

The bed was comfortable and there was hot water

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

I’ll be back!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was extremely friendly and the rooms was a little dated, but very clean. Oh and the breakfast was delicious!!!!!! Will stay there again for sure!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Exceptional value. Extremely friendly staff.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very clean. Hostess invited us to join in for entertainment which was totally incredible breakfast buffet fantastic. Large room, easy access to room. R

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Good location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms very dated. Glass windows in door should have coverings. I had prepaid by Paypal but got charged at check in! I checked my paperwork and got it sorted out easily but it should mot have happened.

Good location...right on the main route. Handyman very pleasant and efgicient. Owner took care of problem right away

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

It was ok dont think I would return if I had other options

no mini fridge in room no microwave in room had to far to for ice and I need microwave for medical use too far away also Air conditioner was not being used but it made the rain and wind very loud coming in the room around it Toilet very low to the floor the sink was high the pink tub was too low for getting up with my mobility Internet was very crappy dial up I think sooo slow Breakfast was very good lots of variety

Clean friendly staff bed comfortable

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Breakfast buffet

Stairs to room did not seem safe Wanted a ground floor but was told not available yet sign said there was still vacancy Parking was not available in the front of building Internet signal very slow,hardly worth using All in all poor value. Would only stay there again if we had no other option

Breakfast buffet

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Nice place in a small town

No shelf space to set things in the bathroom. The old colored toilet does not fit in with renovations that have been done.

Beds and pillows were great. Room we were assigned for 3 adults was very large. Renovations have been done, but the old colored toilets do not fit in. It was nice to have a shelf out in closet area next to bathroom as there was not much shelf space in the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Very nice and would return.

Being charged extra for my small dog after being told there was a lot more involved in cleaning the room which I could understand for pet messes on carpets but these rooms were laminate flooring.

The beds were very comfortable and although the rooms were outdated alittle at least room we stayed at it was still very clean. The breakfast buffet was great which was included for guests at the inn. I would stay here again on our next trip.

Nice big room.

Old motel...somewhat updated inside. Staff not very friendly. Could hear a dog barking in one of the rooms....definitely average

Nice big room...two large beds...nice view of water

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Somewhat pricey

Was over priced for what you got and somewhat dated. They tried to charge one of our party for a service dog which they had been advised in advance would be attending.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Clean, convenient and lovely helpful staff.

Nothing really.

My room was clean and I had everything I needed. There's even a laundrette on site. The location was great, right opposite the harbour. Breakfast was included and plenty of choice. The staff were all lovely and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Beautiful room

The hardwood floors were very nice and added to the comfort of the room. Very comfortable bed. Close to places to eat if you do not wish to go to the hotel restaurant.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Great location, awesome staff, excellent breakfast.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

One of us could connect to wifi, the other couldn’t, probably due to high demand of their resources that night. On the Cabot Trail, connectivity is spotty anyway.

Very friendly staff, excellent food, enjoyed live entertainment.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

The beds were extremely comfortable!

The towels they supplied were below standard. They seemed like something from a far cheaper hotel. Thin and scratchy.

The beds were extremely comfortable!

Definitely wouldn’t recommend.

This place is pretty run down, need serous updates. As we walked to our room the chairs had all kinds of dirty linens on them and some dirty dishes. Not something you want to see when u walk to your room.

the women at front desk was very nice.

Best staff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the restaurant not being open for dinner the night we were there.

The staff was amazing!! It was pet friendly so we could have our dogs with us. The buffet bfast included was amazing. The bed was really comfortable.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

We stayed in Harbourview section of the motel. It didn't really meet our expectations.

The front desk staff were not very friendly. Initially, we were assigned an inconvenient parking spot to where our room was located. We were on the second floor of the motel and parking for that room was up the hill and out back. Our phone was broken so we had to walk up to the front desk (located in another building), however, they did send out maintenance very quickly. Motel could use some renovating...stairs were not in the best shape and decor was tired and dated...although, beds were comfortable enough. WIFI was not working for most of our stay.

The beds were comfortable. George ( maintenance ) was quick to respond to our problem with the TV and phone and was very friendly. The buffet style breakfast (which was included in our stay) was very good!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

We really like the breakfast.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We really like the breakfast.....for an old motel, the rooms were clean with new flooring ( no smelly carpet ). It was to bad the restaurant wasn't open for dinner the night we stayed but there was another one a block to the left...

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Good location for getting to Cape Breton Highlands

WiFi very inconsistent, often couldn’t connected, possibly not enough capacity for people staying there. Some basic maintenance required, temporary fix to a problem we reported. Quite expensive.

Good location, spacious room with nice view over harbour. Good breakfast, though very busy with coach parties. Clean, though a little dated. Easy walking distance to some nice restaurants.

Good location very spacious & clean room
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel accomadates bus tours so one should take that into consideration when booking also breakfast is served only between 7 AM & 9 AM

Breakfast buffet (included) was above average.....

This was a clean motel with clean, comfortable beds.

This was a clean motel with clean, comfortable beds. We paid for the breakfast which was very convenient as not a lot of choices in this area. Very convenient to local restaurants for dinner/lunch. Would choose again if in area again.

Laurie's Motor Inn was a great 'motel' style...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Laurie's Motor Inn was a great 'motel' style stop on our trip around Nova Scotia. The staff were friendly and attentive, the room safe and clean and the breakfast more than acceptable given the price. I would not hesitate to stay there if I were in the area and I cannot think of a negative comment to make regards the motel.

The beds were comfortable and the motel is within walking...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extremely disappointed by staff's attitude when I called the next day because I had left my phone charger in the room (who sharply told me 'nothing was found!', which I doubt). I also wrote 2 emails but they didn't even bother to reply. Buffet continental breakfast was mediocre.

The beds were comfortable and the motel is within walking distance of a couple restaurants.

Good Motel in Chéticamp, NS

Although the motel offered free WiFi, it wasn’t working the evening of our stay. The staff explained that the system was often down. This should be fixed.

We were provided with a clean room with a comfortable bed. The motel is also pet friendly.

Excellent place highly recommended

Booking was upgraded to a cottge aa they were short on rooms with 2 queen beds. Room was very clean and well supplied. Front desk staff was very coureteous and helpful. Cottage had a beautiful view from a front veranda. Pets allowed which was a huge bonus

Location was everything, a good enough place to land at the end of the Cabot Trail.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our large room window was quite dirty. When I mentioned it to the receptionist upon checkout (because I honestly thought they'd want to know) she seemed indifferent and offered no comment.

Check-in receptionist friendly and welcoming. Very quiet despite proximity to road. Good tv. Breakfast was efficiently run.

I loved the view and the breakfast was fantastic

The rooms are very dated so I felt it was quite expensive for that reason alone. Other than that I was happy

I loved the view and the breakfast was fantastic

Comfortable Motel Style
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking spots were really tight and the room keys didn't work particularly well.

The bed was very comfortable! Breakfast buffet had a good variety.

They accepted dogs.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast. While there was a lot of food the quality was poor. Also, too much nonrecyclable plastic in use.

They accepted dogs. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

It was fine for a 2 day stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathtub had mold in the caulking and around the handles of the bar. The fan in the bathroom and the AC was very loud.

It was nice sized room and the bed was very comfy. Great pillows and blanket. The breakfast exceeded our expectations.

Overall all- ok. Thought expensive for the money

The bathroom—shower didn’t work well. The stairs to the second floor were very steps and someone could fall and get hurt.

Location, receptionist, bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Clean comfortable room with a great breakfast included in the room price ...

I feel like I'm being overly critical over the AC being a bit noisy, but it was although, it would not affect my decision to stay here again. It's definitely my go to place on Cape Breton Island.

This place was outstanding, it's been there since the 1930's so there are somethings that might need a bit of an update here and there. But, I have to say that the staff were kind and courteous and the room was spotless. My only gripe if I nitpicked would be that the A/C unit was a tad bit noisy. I would definitely stay here again and the breakfast is world class. Didn't expect such a spread for breakfast, it would rival some of the best hotels in the world. I'm not kidding when I say that.

Ok place.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was badly laid out....no tables....couldn't plug anything in. Breakfast was 7-9 so we missed it (most places go until 10).

Good location. Laundry, ice etc good.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Breakfast was awesome!

The office is at the back of the property. Very much out of the way when interaction is required. Ice at a central location but not easy to access for street units.

Breakfast was awesome! The full parking area is paved

We found the property very nice although the bathroom...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We found the property very nice although the bathroom floors were slippery when you had a shower. The breakfast which was complinentry which looked very good was cold . If we stayed again we would go out to eat.

Great place, the doorway to my amazing journey to CBNP
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast could improve a little

The facility, as a whole; the room, excellent; comfort and cleanliness, excellent, attention, excellent; location is fantastic. The Laurie's is the place to be while visiting Cape Breton Highlands NP

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Bathrooms could have been cleaner

The bathrooms would need to be renovated, and cleaned better found hair in the tub and just generally should be cleaner. The soap was half full, and the toilet paper not even full. Not worth the price.

The beds were great!! The locations was great also. And the breakfest was good to. The staff were very nice and helpfull.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

A great bed...

The air conditioning unit was really old, and every time in shut off it sounded like it was going to fall out of the window. But the worst part was the bathroom! There was a weird bubble in the flooring, it felt wet and warped underneath and I was grossed out every time I had to use the bathroom. Wifi was completely unreliable, which is too bad. If you're going to advertise it at least make sure it works. Staff was okay... some really pleasant people checked us in, check out didn't feel as warm.

The beds were the highlight of this stop. The bedding was clean and fresh.

Fabulous Time. Would go again.

We prefer tea & I tried making it in the pot provided, but it tasted like coffee. maybe a kettle r a small Keurig would be better.

This was the second time that we stayed at this Hotel & was for that reason that we chose it again. The accomadations, location were excellent, there was entertainment in the evening which was fabulous. The buffet breakfast was everything that we could've hoped for.

Definitely a place worthy of repeat stays.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Noisy room air condition - turned it off to sleep!! Would have liked to have yogurt at breakfast.

Very helpful staff especially Shiela at Breakfast Service. The evening entertainment was informative (Acadian history & songs) & 1st. rate.

Great value and location for exploring the Cape Breton Highlands.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fixtures in bathroom were a little dated, but showers were powerful and it was very clean.

We didn't expect to have laundry services, which was really useful. Walls were freshly painted and flooring was new laminate. Breakfast was all you can eat and included cinnamon French toast and eggs Benedict as well as yogurt, fruit, toast, pancakes, sausage, eggs and heaps of bacon! Great start for hitting the trails!

Good location, weird parking and noisy aircon
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Super noisy air con that would wake you up each time it kicked in. Wifi quality was prettt poor and the car parking spots were at very weird angles and hard to get into with even a standard sized SUV.

Good location if you are heading into the National Park and close to restaurants. Beautifully presented, clean rooms and amazing full hot/cold buffet breakfast.

Great location and breakfast. So so on comfort and decor.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Still a bit dated overall, lacking in any real wow items. Pretty obstructed view no matter where you are.

Breakfast was the biggest benefit. Definitely one of the better breakfasts we have ever seen included in a hotel stay.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BOOKING - Overcharged

BE CAREFUL WHEN BOOKING. Unfortunately, we were charged an extra $25.00 per night by the hotel when we left. A total of $50 extra dollars, plus HST. They claimed this was because we were two people and our booking indicated we were supposed to have only one guest. The room had two queen beds, and the other person in my party was present when checking in. The person checking us in didn't mention anything about only one guest being on our booking. It was sprung on us at the end when we checked out.  Booking.com app said "max 4 guests" and did not give me the option to indicate how many guests there were, as far as I could see. It's not so much about the money as us feeling like the cost posted on Booking.com is a bit of a "bait and switch" . Others in the same situation who stayed longer, sadly, would likely have been charged much more.  Because of this we will not be using Booking.com again, nor will we ever stay at Laurie's Motor Inn on future visits to Cape Breton.

Close to hiking. Good breakfast.

Unexpected twist
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we got there at 7pm they didn't have us in their system so no rooms. They did have the list from Booking.com showing the rooms were confirmed. Instead of 2 rooms they gave us the small house with 2 bedrooms. The room needs updating, the curtains and the bath room were very old.

The staff was very apologetic and very helpful. Tried to make the best of a bad situation. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Everything fresh and warm, staff kept the area clean. Everyone very friendly. The bed was great, new mattress I believe.

Good location in Cheticamp and near the park.

Good location in Cheticamp and near the park. Hotel is dated but beds were comfortable. Breakfast, which is included, was okay. — servers were friendly and very attentive, coffee is good.

The breakfast buffet was very good, and included eggs...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was steps from the main street, without charm, and a bit musty. Look for a place in town where you can open your windows to the ocean breezes. Or, request a room in one of the buildings set further back, if the tour buses are not filling them.

The breakfast buffet was very good, and included eggs Benedict.

Good location. OK
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was disappointing to find the restaurant was closed. So we had to go across the road for breakfast in pouring rain. Very annoying. People above us were very noisy.

Good location. Very good restaurant just along the road.

Good location, big room.

The desk clerk requested my credit card even though our room was paid in-full and I had the receipt. I had hoped to talk to someone at the front desk in the morning, but they were not open. My card was charged twice. When I called the hotel they said they would look into it. They called back to say I had to take it up with Booking.com. I insisted the hotel correct the situation. The hotel contacted Booking.com and Booking.com rectified the situation immediately, even though I don't believe it was their fault. Hopefully my experience will make things run more smoothly for everyone else.

Good location, big room.

Regretfully, we were not very happy with our stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were there for 1 night in May and though they have 56 rooms, there were only 3-5 were occupied that night. In spite of that, we were assigned a room right in front of the main road (noisy). I would think that with 50+ available rooms, they might have considered giving us a better located room.

Very pleasant lady at reception who checked us in and helped us with restaurant recommendations..

Good location for cheticamp , basic but comfortable

The room and bathroom is outdated and an old aircon unit was left in the room .

Well located to explore Cheticamp . Beds were comfortable and we appreciated the quality white linen.

Good and safe stay

No comments

Friendly owner, we could check in at 11am in stead of 16pm. We had a very large room with super beds. We missed the refigerator. It is a good place to stay, when you want to visit Cape Breton.

the food was very good,

having to walk up all the stairs outside to get to our room, we couldn't park close to our room, the rooms are very dated and really the cost of the room should have been around $90, not $190

the food was very good,

Awesome breakfast.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

With the room we had the parking was a bit awkward, in front of a laundry area, rather then more directly near the room. Considerable number of steps, which I felt were rather narrow, to climb to the level of the room.

Awesome breakfast. Staff very pleasant. The room was large and did enjoy the space. Would definitely consider this facility again.

Excellent and super comfortable.

The season was almost over so there was no staff during the night and we had to check in later, we found our keys hanging with our name which wasn't a problem but I didn't get a phone call or email letting me know that.

Great rooms, huge size the room itself and the bathroom. Very comfortable beds and very clean. We could park the car at our room's door. Great place to rest after hiking and going around the park!

Very clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

All you can eat free breakfast? Most offer this and it puts up the price of the room. As they charge 12.95 otherwise. Would like the choice to skip breakfast and have saved 25.00 on my room. Should be an option.

Very clean and comfortable.

Great Place to Stay on Scenic Cabot Trail
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was clean. Room was larger then most hotel rooms. Breakfast was excellent. Was able to park in front of room, this made unloading luggage easy.

medium
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

the rooms, other than the bedding was very outdated. The price for this type of accommodation was a bit high. think they could ask the 154.00 per night without a problem if the updated the rooms.

location was good, breakfast good and good coffee. nice clean newer bedding

7/10

Desk staff was a little odd we arrived and it was like hello we are standing in front of you please respond. No greeting just a puzzled look.

The rooms were OK. Comfy beds. Very clean. Breakfast was tasty.

Awesome!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A mini fridge and more towels would have been great but not complaining.

Comfortable rooms in a great location with a delicious hot or cold all you can eat breakfast. Also included tea and coffee with friendly service. Overall a clean cozy environnent! Great value!

It was ok but the breakfast was great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our building was in the front and the parking area was really crowded Also our key did not work in the door and we had to go back up to the desk to get another key, and we had to jiggle it a few times to get it working. The locks and doors are very old.

Great breakfast o

Best breakfast ever!

The interior was upscale. Lovely king bed,quality bedding, all furnishings lovely. Attractive flooring.Really nice inside. There is a restaurant on site where we had the buffet breakfast...great! Included with the room price. Nice to have an info book about the facilities and services in the area.

We enjoyed our stay and the property exceeded our expectations.

Possibly upgrade bathroom fixtures. Not a problem just older and would guess they are upgrading and painting.

Room was spaces and comfortable. Restaurants nearby within walking distance. Breakfast was excellent. Helpful reception.

Comfortable place to stay!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The facility was conveniently located. Breakfast was buffet-style and quite varied, including eggs benedict, and cinnamon french toast. The room was clean and comfortable. We would happily stay there again

Overall it was a really nice stay. I would definitely stay in the property again.

The evening we arrived WiFi did not work for some reason. No kitchen/refrigerator in the room. A bit overpriced.

The breakfast was really good. The stuff was nice. The parking and WiFi were free. The view was amazing. Located at the most beautiful extract of Cabot Trail.

No friendly staff at all,

I never booked a hotel before thatthe price advertise was only for 1person only. We didn’t know it was only for one, therefore when we arrived at hotel, the front desk clerk, with no hospitality skills proceeded to tell me they have to charge us extra for the 2nd person and it’s $25.00 . I never heard of that before, she then said “well that is the way it is here” . I don’t think she likes her job at all, no smiles and no empathy with customers at all. Will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

It's ok if you want to break up your Cabot Trail journey

Reception staff not especially attentive to customers. Felt a bit like they were just going through the motions. Shower was appalling - no water pressure meant the water just dribbled out.

Located in town. Breakfast included.

great, welcoming and clean place

situated in the center of town and across the ocean, it was both beautiful and comfartable. aslo very clean, staff very friendly and the breakfast was great.

Not good value for the price. Would not stay there again at the price we paid.

Old TV. Thin towels. No refrigerator. Furniture and drapes were very old and outdated. Bathroom outdated.

Great breakfast buffet included. Beds had pillow top mattresses. Room was clean.

Enjoyable hotel in lovely Cheticamp.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No refriguator in the room.

On our journey to Atlantic Canada, this was the best hotel so far. Very good breakfast and good wifi connection in the room. Excellent beds.

The room was beyond our expectations!

Television did not work.

The room was beyond our expectations! Loved how large it was, and the fact it was not carpeted, yet had a lovely flooring! So beautiful.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!