Reviews of Hotel Le St. James Montreal 5 stars

355, rue Saint-Jacques, H2Y 1N9 Montréal, Canada

#18 of 134 hotels in Montréal

Very nice and large room, as in all the leading hotels of...

No bath gel or body wash, only soap but this is of coarse a minor thing

Very nice and large room, as in all the leading hotels of the world nice furniture. Fully equipped bathroom with bath and separate shower. Central location close to Montreal's old town.

Amazing night at the St-James for my wife 30th birthday!!!

The staff was incredible! We got an upgrade because I told the lady at the front desk that we were doing the tourists in our own city (we live close to the hotel) and we were staying for my wife's 30th birthday. The room was absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for such a wonderful stay!

No thermostat control.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

No thermostat control. Room was at 24 C with no ability to open windows. Not happy to find a cigarette butt in my car after valet service. View of rad tarped building was less than appealing.

room pictures are not accurate

the room pictures are accurate... the picture displayed are for higher category, once you checkin you will be surprised by getting lower category rooms, or pay more to get the room that u reserved

Wonderful stay. Le St James is a much better option than the large, overcrowded chain hotels

Bathroom ceiling looked a little old and the toilet was leaking from time to time

Quiet and intimate. Very elegant setting Concierge and staff in general very friendly and eager to help. XO is great too Location is privileged

The staff were excellent, going the extra mile to make sure...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

A couple of very minor maintenance issues in the bathroom. Nothing serious enough to interfere with our enjoyment of our stay or to bother reporting.

The staff were excellent, going the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

Princely
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Accessing the hôtel, Traffic in Montreal because of construction gone wild is difficult

The entire experience was very convivial. Staff make you feel very welcome. They are professional, discrete engaging and diligent

Great stay in Montreal!

Beautiful, classical property with excellent staff. Great location, great food, amazing staff, and, you'll feel like you're in France...without the jet lag. Loved this place!

pleasant enough stay, staff are nice and location is good - but would not revisit

room was a bit in need of maintenance (dirty carpet). Not something you expect from 5 star hotel with a price to reflect. Bar facilities limited and staff not totally trained - although very friendly.

Staff were efficient and friendly.

too over priced for provided service.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Very expensive property without any basic services that you would find in a 4 star hotel. Hotel didnt have complimentary water nor coffee and tea. Water boiler is not readily availible in the room. I Called the room service they redirected me to the restaurant. I asked why they said restaurent is responsible for room service. I Stayed on line for 10 min then got disconnected. I called back operator she said restaurant is busy they will call back. After a while, they called i requested the water and the boiler to prepare my kid's formula milk. They brought me water with a bill: they made me pay for the water~ 15 dollar the bottle of a normal water ! For this kind of service hotel should be 2 star. Although hotel has a nice location it is in proximity with other buildings you would have somebody looking right on your window so i had to keep the blinders closed all the time.

Excellent location and nice night sleep.

Last time! Been there in past and HAD a high opinion of this property! Value to quality is gone!!!
    • Executive King Suite

Lack of staff and caliber of staff for a property of this "status". GRAFFITI IN THE ELEVATOR??????? Checked in and no air in room portion of suite, front desk thought it was normal and left us waiting (after driving all day) for 1/2 hour before changing our suite!

Cleanliness and restaurant.

Okay hotel, but may not deserve it's high end reputation
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Booking.com and hotel hadn't settled the bill so I had to spend a couple of hours sorting this out or would have had to pay twice. Reception staff varied in quality. Some wouldn't even let me finish a sentence before jumping in. Poor menu choices for vegetarians. It's meant to be the best hotel in Montreal, but it didn't feel like it deserved that reputation.

Good concierge service and lovely staff in the attached restaurant.

Fancy hotel nearby Congress Center and Old Montreal
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The gym is very small and basic -- the experience was very nice, but the price seems steep for what one gets.

Classic old-style hotel, staff kindness and attentiveness, large marble bathroom without a tub, comfortable bed, complimentary water with turn down service.

Too expensive for what it offers
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Rooms are very small and need some maintenance. For example the window blinds in the bathroom were not functioning. When I made my reservation, I had the option of choosing between 1 queen/king size bed and 2 individual beds. I chose the former and when I arrived at the hotel the room had 2 individual beds. I have mentioned my preference (made at the time of reservation) and I was answered that it was not guaranteed and only subject to availability etc. This was not very clear at the time of the reservation, so I would suggest that either booking.com or the hotel makes this very clear. If I knew I would get a room with 2 individual beds I would have chosen another hotel. In justice to the hotel, I should mention they offered me however a voucher of two drinks at the hotel bar.

Le Hotel St. James Montreal and the Staff ... 100% perfection!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Le Hotel St. James ... in a class by itself.

Everything about this hotel is amazing. Literally the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Montreal is a beautiful city and I enjoyed this trip 125%.

Very satisfied
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

It's not that I did r like but it would have. Even better if there was a ramp at the entrance to stroll in the stroller instead of having someone carry it on the stairs .

The coziness and warmth and setup dexoration furniture beautiful pieces vintage

Classy SLH with a few niggles!

Hearing was sclerotic. Room was hot and stuffy. Remedied by hotel next day with fans in room. Toilet was blocked. Fixed by hotel in a jiffy. But when you pay >CAD365 per night for a junior suite, you expect perfection.

Staff, especially Tara at front desk and concierge staff. Location Rooms Library

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Perfection!!!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Excellent personalized service from arrival until departure, amazing concierge service, beautiful room, great location, everything you could ask for! I had one of the best hotel stays of my life!!!!!

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Excellent location, staff, and accommodations
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The staff was wonderful, very friendly and attentive. Made you feel very welcomed. Each night when we got back to our room, we each had a bottle of water waiting, along with the music softly playing from the CD player. We can't say enough good things about this hotel. Beautiful, ideal location, and excellent staff. The in-house restaurant, XO, is a must as well. Exceptional service and food.

Wonderful stay at the hotel Le St James

The view could have been better as there was construction on our side of the building, but it's no fault of the hotel.

It was a very beautiful building with a well trained staff and very beautiful rooms

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

First time to Montreal--great place to call home!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Room could have gotten colder quicker. Slightly outdated.

Very comfortable bed. Staff was friendly and helpful. Good central location. Valet parking. In-hotel restaurant for room service and breakfast in the morning. Nearby to the an amazing restaurant for dinner.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

RECEPTION VERY WELL SOME SORT OF PRICING ISSUE IN THE...
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

A BIT PRICY FOR THE EXPERIENCE AND FOOD WAS GOOD BUT NOT GREAT.

RECEPTION VERY WELL SOME SORT OF PRICING ISSUE IN THE BEGINNING THAT WAS NOT ACCORDING TO MY BOOKING BUT GENTLEMAN VERY NICE CORRECTED THE PRICING ERROR AND UPGRADED US TO A JUNIOR SUIT WITH A KING BED. RESTAURANT STAFF VERY FRIENDLY, MY SPOUSE WANTED US TO BE SITTED TO ANOTHER TABLE SO WE ASKED IF CAN BE RELOCATED ON THE ABOVE FLOOR FOR OUR DINNING EXPERIENCE, MANAGER WAS NOTIFIED AND CAME TO FURTHER ASSIST US. HE WAS VERY CORDIAL AND PROFESSIONAL BY GRANTING US OUR WISH.

Was expected more.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The room went from freezing to overheated (18C to 25C). We had to call twice to have it adjusted. They forgot our breakfast room service. Poor service from the doorman.

The décor, The food at Le XO, especially the New Year brunch.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Amazing experience at the St. James

Beds were amazing!!!! Staff was so helpful and kind. It ranks with the Ritz Carlton. Beds were more comfortable than the Ritz. Gorgeous property.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

They were very welcoming.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

They were very welcoming. The massage and massage room was amazing. And our room was very spacious ! Area near the old town which is lovely to walk around. An elegent hotel and I would say the nicest in town.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Luxurious and beyond expectations.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Bed sheets, pillows and beds luxurious. Towels luxurious. Bathroom finishes were elegant. Restaurant food servings were nice portions, excellent choice and delicious and fresh. Staff professional.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Go Elsewhere

Awful service and rude doormen. Carpet needed stretched, bath shower light not functioning, Snobby... Probably one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. Go to Ritz or Marriott and you'd be better off. Would not recommend. Just plain awful!!!!

Large corner room.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Overpriced. Underwhelmed.

The rain shower head in my room was broken...water just spilled out the sides. The water that DID come out was lukewarm at best. We could not get hot water in the shower. The room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. I had always thought it would be a special treat to stay at this hotel. Not so much. There are far better places to stay in Montreal, especially for the inflated price.

There is some great artwork. The bed was fairly comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Old Montreal stay
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

We loved the location as we could walk to many areas of Old Montreal. The staff were extremely helpful with all our needs. My husband is handicapped with a prosthetic leg and we were very well taken care of. I would recommend this hotel to other travelers. We had a lovely and delicious dinner in the dining room.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

If you want a more personal service, this is special.

Finding the hotel behind the scaffolding there for the façade update. One elevator could be a problem in the busy season.

This is a real gentleman's club, great service, discrete staff, outstanding food, both breakfast and dinner.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Got upgraded to a suite.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

When I went into the bathroom for a shower in the morning before heading out to various business meetings, I discovered that the shower did not have hot water, as the hot water faucet was broken. When the front desk was informed about it, they sent up someone to open the next room for me (which was vacant)so that I could use the shower there. However, in that bathroom, the drain in the shower turned out to be blocked, so with the water collecting on the floor it was quite messy. The manager at the front desk was very apologetic, and offered me a 20% discount on the room rent by way of compensation, though. So I thought they handled it OK once it had happened, but at close to $500/night (and we are talking Montreal here, not NYC or London) something like this should not have happened anyway to begin with. So the bottom line: will I stay there again? Probably not - because it was quite pricey, and the facilities did not live up to what one would (should?) expect at that price level. Secondly, will I recommend the hotel to my friends/business associates? Probably not as well, because of this experience.

Got upgraded to a suite. The room was really nice, and the bed especially so. The room was VERY quiet as well, and very clean and well-maintained. The bathroom was big, and well-appointed with a tub and a shower. The people I interacted with at the front desk were really nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Perfect
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel is located conveniently downtown in the old city of Montreal. We arrived after nearly three weeks travelling throughout Canada and having stayed at similar starred locations however this hotel set a new standard. The hotel is undergoing external refurbishment and our arrival was necessitated double parking where we had to hunt the bell to assist. From that moment and followed by a sincere apology our luggage was taken and we checked in. The reception was friendly and knowledgeable. It gave us the confidence that we were in good hands. Our room, on the sixth floor was spacious and well appointed. It had a working desk, settee and lounge area and most substantial king sized bed. The bathroom was fitted to the highest standards and the soaps, shampoos and towels etc were plentiful. We originally thought that we would have a coffee shop local breakfast however nothing is open prior to 7am on Sunday morning. The hotel dining room served a super early and quick breakfast that was the best of class. This is the first time I have given straight fives but if I could have given six for service, I would have. If you need to visit Montreal for any reason, stay here. It's wonderful!!! And what is more my wife was delighted too!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Elegant Accommodations and Incredible Service
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

At check-in, we were upgraded to a junior suite to accommodate the crib for my son. The room was very spacious and impeccably designed. The bathroom was also quite large with a separate tub and shower not to mention great water pressure. Le St. James' service was impeccable and made for the perfect end to our trip.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Canada or Europe? I couldn't tell.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The scaffolding covering the front of the hotel. The door men were never at the door when you needed them.

The beautiful classic French music playing in my room upon entering. The amazing ornate details of every inch of the hotel. The perfect location.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Great stay!
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

View...too close to adjacent buildings made it necessary to keep blinds/curtains closed. Hotel under construction outside.

Wonderful customer service by every staff member we encountered. Room was very clean & cozy. XO restaurant....great service, really nice decor & best mussels ever!

Extremely friendly and genuinely helpful and concerned staff

Extremely friendly and genuinely helpful and concerned staff

Reach heaven before your flight. The staff is incredible. Thanks for everything.
    • Deluxe King Suite

The staff

Very nice location.

Bed,location.staff

Romantic, beautiful hotel
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

No coffee in the room :(

Gorgeous room, helpful staff, super clean. Would happily stay again.

It was what we needed in a Hotel. A great place to feel relaxed and soothing after working.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

It was a wonderfully relaxing stay in a very old world style

Wonderful staff. The best ever

Shower was terrible

Le St. James

There was construction right next door.

Convenient location

• Deluxe King Suite

Awesome - look forward to going back again soon
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

We went to celebrate our anniversary and my wife’s birthday and every level of service was beyond our exoecttions.

Beautiful... Lovely... comfortable... Luxurious!
    • Superior King Suite

It was just a pleasure from start to finish

Excellent hotel
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Very beautiful hotel. Nice stuff. Delicious French cuisine. Good ang not expensive breakfast. Clean gym. Big rooms and always very clean

St James

Late night street noise on one side of the building.

We love this place and will stay again!

Great hotel
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

One of the finest hotels in all of Canada.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

One of the finest hotels in all of Canada.

Concerge team

Concerge team

Pillows.

Pillows.

Things are slipping.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Housekeeping, no door staff to help with bags, unattractive rooms, inattentive bar service.

Concierge, reception, comfortable bed.

Short vacation for my Wife and I. Beautiful hotel with excellent staff. We will be back. 10/10.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Room service was fast and very good. All the staff from the Door man, front desk staff, and resteraunt staff at the XO were terrific.

very pleasant
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Hot water ran out in the shower a couple of times.

The breakfast was included and excellent.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The breakfast was included and excellent. Loved the staff and location of the hotel. Will go back again.

great bead loved the heated bathroom floor

great bead loved the heated bathroom floor

Overall good stay.

Room lighting

Dinner was excellent

Very nice hotel in a wonderful location. But, my room could use an update.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The hotel was very nice. The staff was excellent. My room was a little tired and needed to be updated.

Staff attention to detail.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Staff attention to detail.

The television and electronics could use an update
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

The water pressure was incredible

Beautifully furnished and comfortable

Beautifully furnished and comfortable

it was wonderful

everything

No bath tub in the room

No bath tub in the room

Great location. Friendly staff

Breakfast fantastic.

Great size room but very dark. Depressing.

Breakfast fantastic. Calm ambience at hotel.

It's not a 5 star hotel.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Everything is bad. Too old, room frozen, noise from the air system. Really bad experince.

The concierge Yannis

Great property and handy location

Price Orange juice :(((

Architecture Interior design and decorating pieces e.g.sculptures,pictures

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

Room could use more lighting

• Deluxe Queen Room

No AC and worn out rooms

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Friendly and competent service

Bathroom lack comfort

Friendly and competent service

Pleasant stay

No need unattended to with excellence.

Great place to stay.excellent location to spend time in old Montreal.staff very attentive.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Beautiful hotel.
    • Superior Queen or Twin Room

Beautiful hotel. Lovely staff.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

A real gem of a hotel. Beautiful suite, extremely helpful and friendly staff. Superb

I wish we had stayed longer !!!

Every aspect was perfect

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Beautiful hotel in a perfect location

no negatives

The property, the staff the bed everything about the hotel was amazing- one of the best we've stayed at and we travel a lot.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

I love the library with the cheery and warm fireplace and...

Everything was delightful.

I love the library with the cheery and warm fireplace and comfortable chairs.

Browse Hotel Le St. James Montreal traveller photo gallery