Reviews of ZUM Hotel Residences 3 stars

Different locations in Côte-des-Neiges, H3T 1J4 Montréal, Canada

#117 of 134 hotels in Montréal

5.5

4.3

Back to my student life on campus !
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

For Wi-Fi, you need to go to 7th floor (I was on 19th) and there is no fan in the room -it gets extremely hot during summer time.

It's a student dorm so do not expect luxury but it's good value for money and staff is friendly. Mattress is on the firm side which I like. You can cook your own meal on the 5th floor but you need all necessary tools to be able to do so -none are provided.

Good for students but very basic for regular travellers.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It's far from the downtown and in the area is just absolutely nothing to do. The facilities are quite basic. There is even no tv and no Wi-Fi in the rooms.

The view from my room was nice

ZUM hotel in Montreal
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I rented a twin bed room and the lower bed had a very loose mattress which made sleeping uncomfortable. We stayed in building A6 8th floor and there was no lift from the 6th which was an issue with heavy suitcases.

Location is very good to explore Mont Royal and it's next to University of Montreal. Staff was attentive and very helpful with our requests.

Just fo bed
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

In the hotel especially elevator and firts floor at the B block bad smells is every where.

Dont wait much things but price is good. City metro is so close if you stay from monday to sunday take a weekly OPUS card and start to trio in montreal.

Great stay if you plan to be away from downtown.
    • Superior Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The location is not very good - if you plan on going near downtown most of the time, PLEASE just stay there, as it is not worth the transit / uber commute. The rooms were very hot and had no AC, though a small fan is in each room.

Staff are friendly, there is lots of room for one person, and the bed was quite comfortable for a "hostel".

The stay was overall good, not costly under simple standards.
    • Superior Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The description on the confirmation was vague saying it could be in 2350 or 2450. Since 2350 came first I went to that building (which was uphill, with a luggage was difficult) and it ended up being the other one. Should be more clear on the website. No room service, but you can ask for towels and lines in the reception. No wifi in the room but lobby wifi is very good. The fan is very small. No frills place, you definitely feel like a University student. It's good for the price you pay though :)

I loved the location. Very close to the subway, bike share right in front of the building. Safe, easy access to the city.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The place was fine for what we needed, but the beds were...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The place was fine for what we needed, but the beds were scrunchy and uncomfortable. Most of all the information and notices are written exclusively in french, so be sure to have a french speaker with you who can translate. (For example, the notice that explains that you require your room key to enter the bathroom... Which can be something slightly important to know)

Don't go here.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

-Beetles were in the bathroom. I was on the 10th floor and the windows all had screens. -The rooms have no ac, I nearly had multiple heat strokes in my own room while my window was open. -The customer service was terrible. They didnt care about your experience. -No wifi in the room despite the fact that you pay 180$ for nights. -Is marked as a 4 star, yet the roofs are leaking and it's actually not worth that amount of stars.

decor was nice, I guess.

If you are desperate on money this can save you.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

No air conditioning. Very long steep climb from street to building. Parking $20 per day which is advertised in the details but I didn't see it. Only 1 room key so you have to take turns going to the toilet / shower. No thermostat on heating so if too hot .... Map extremely ambiguous. Hard to find building / assigned parking lot.

If you are desperate on money this can save you.

Was fair overall
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No air conditioning and the shared bathroom is rather small - only 2 shower cabinet and 1 toilet per floor.

The receptionist was nice and friendly. Location is alright, easy to find and close to bus stop, around 35-40 mins to downtown Montreal.

We aren’t comfortable to stay on our room to be honest..
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

That there’s no wifi on our floor.,and why you didnt put it on your details. there’s no AC on our room.its freacking HOT!!!.. The smell Of the pillows on and the Bed sheets has a stinky smell!!..you should aware for that please.

The view of the buildings only.

Basic budget accommodation
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Students' recidence used as a hotel during the summer , very basic, small pilow, far from downtown. Was last minute booking, no complains.

Good price for the F1 weekend, close to bus/metro stops.

Staff were pleasant.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Very outdated, for $70 there was two of us in a single bed when I booked a twin room. Not the cleanest of rooms.

Staff were pleasant. Close to metro subway station.

The location is really great!
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There is no wifi in the rooms, shared bathroom/washroom.

The location is really great! Small room, but it includes everything what for solo traveler.

It was wonderful, I love Montreal more than Toronto and Edmonton.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a little further from the GSU Theater, and I had to use taxi a lot. I learn they do have facility near La Place des Arts.

It was very clean, and I have access to the washing machine/dryer and Iron and ironing board in the basement. The room was clean with lining, places to hang my cloth. It was super

Great for value.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Far from Old Montreal - but closer to Musee des Beaux-Arts, which is a great area and less expensive.

Great for value. If you just want a place to crash and the ability to do what you want in Montreal, this place is great. Nice neighborhood and cute student downtown a 10 minute walk away - great cafe, good bar.

NEVER AGAIN - HORRIBLE PLACE AND SERVICE ALSO HORRIBLE !!!!
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

DO NOT GO THERE UNLESS YOU ARE DESPERATE I booked this studio hotel knowing the facility is not the best, but i found horror instead of the minimal conditions. the hotel manager (BLONDE GUY) when i got in was extremely rude, not welcoming and above all, i speak french and heard him complain about me... you never know who speaks you language... the room was not clean when i got in, at all, toilets were disgusting and showers smelled like pee. I was so disgust by the place that at some point i rented a room downtown just to clean up. horrible place - just DO NOT GO THERE UNLESS YOU ARE DESPERATE !!!

It was decent enough for what we paid for it.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms were fairly clean but had a fairly strong musty smell. They were also quite warm and the bedding was a little lacking in comfort.

It was a great price and right next to the metro. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately no photos. Outlet did not work so could not charge phone unless i unplugged lamp.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Accomodations did not look like photos. Room had two dead bugs. I paid for room with full bed and twin bed but room had full bed and very uncomfortable rollaway bed. Bathroom had two toilets and two showers only. Misrepresentation from photo. Very disappointed. One lamp did not work. One outlet did not work. We went to one building to get keys but stayed in another building. Would not stay there again.

Okay for a cheap stay, but can't imagine how a student would live there for a whole year!

Our twin room was a single bed with an uncomfortable pull out mattress. The room was run down, with one broken light and a tiny window. The washrooms were similarly run down and old fashioned. The cleaners did their best but the building is in dire need of refurbishment! Oh, and the wifi is in the lobby only.

The staff were lovely and helpful. Super friendly and welcoming.

It was close to the subway
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed wasn't a double as requested, it was twin with an attachment to make it like a double, we kept falling between the bed and the attachment.

It was close to the subway

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Clean, safe place to stay for just one night. Slightly overpriced considering no wifi in the room.
    • Superior Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No wifi except in the lobby. I get that it's a residence hall, but it's also 2017 and that wasn't disclosed in any clarity on the Booking ad. Also, I was lucky enough to secure free parking in one of the few spaces outside the front of the building, but I had no idea I would have otherwise had to pay for parking. Again, it's a residence hall. It was about $60 for the night, not $30.

The woman at the desk, Yala, was superb. She spent a long time on the phone directing me because my GPS could not find the place. Room was clean, and I felt very safe. Communal bathroom is small, but it was very clean and I never even ran into another woman on the floor. Just a guy down the hall. Fans and large window worked well enough.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Look for a better place

We booked 2 twin rooms for a night. [-] Twin room = pulled out bed; room is too small for 2 people [-] 1st room: We arrived with a broken bed frame, and the wood with nails are places beside the bed. [-] 2nd room: The ceiling light is not working, and the maintenance who can fix it is available only on the following day. To be fair, the maintenance who came to the room suggested for us to request another room, but it was 12am already, and we are to leave early the following day, so we just opted to sleep. [-] Shared washroom and bathrooms are not that clean. [-] Wi-fi in common room only It would be better for them to check the rooms' conditions first before renting them out.

Basic accomodation at the edge of town, accessible by Metro.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Basic accomodation at the edge of town, accessible by Metro. The most annoying feature of this place is the lack of a proper address for Reception so I ended up going to a "Residence' on Campus with heavy bag which was locked. Somebody let me in and then I was told to go to another buidling for reception. They checked me and sent me back to the first place. So information and signage is not good enough although apparently Booking.Com insists that they put 'various residences'..... Not good enough. The room was ok but there was no wifi in the room - only downstairs in reception. There was one toilet and 2 showers for 12 or 14 rooms although most students were away.

Parking was convenient.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No Wifi in the rooms or even the lounges on the residential floors. In today's world WiFi is expected in even the least expensive locations. I would have gotten a lot more of the work I needed to do if there had been Wifi so I could work late into the night or getting up really early and preparing for my conference.

Parking was convenient.

I liked the location
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn't like the beds they had holes in the mattress that make uncomfortable to sleep there at some point, and the parking was a problem to find

I liked the location

Dorm room living for 5 for nearly $300 including parking .25 miles away.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Rented 5 rooms for the night. One room had screen stuck between window panes so that you could not have window open with screen across the opening. One room had no working lights except under cabinet light. Sink in one room leaked. Toilet in women's restroom at the end of the hall sprayed water at me and all over the floor when flushed. Pillow encased in plastic which crinkled when you moved. Parking was more than a .25 miles away and cost $18 Canadian. No wifi in rooms.

Good room, sink in room was very convenient, great overall...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

One time there was no toilet paper in our floors washroom for a while

Good room, sink in room was very convenient, great overall cleanliness & privacy, friendly staff, convenient location was close to dining, metro etc.

-Staff were very friendly
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

-No WiFi or TV in the room but not that hard to go downstairs for WiFi or the common room for TV. -Pillows were really hard to sleep on but if you double them up they are fine. -No A/C in the room and the tiny fan supplied in the room doesn't do much for when its really hot out.

-Staff were very friendly -Room was clean - Beds were okay to sleep on -Common areas were always clean -Close to the metro

4.0
    It was a so so place. No restaurants and so we had to go search for a restaurant by car.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We booked a double room with two single beds and there was a very small room with one single bed and when we went to ask, we were told that there is another bed underneath. We had mentioned that we were seniors but then one of us had to sleep on the ground. Only one bedsheet extra and only one pillow. Not a comfortable night. The shared bathroom was dirty with toilet paper all over. I would not go there again for sure.

Nothing I don't like anything there everything is bad...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing I don't like anything there everything is bad and disgusting like room staff everything I'll never do it again in this disgusting hotel

Personal was friendly:-)
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

-room was small - we booked 1 room for 2 people and get 2 rooms for 1 person --> booking or hotel error?! -was not a hotel/studio... was a student room -we booked direct an other hotel... - 1 room was possible to cancel... 1 I had to pay... - :-(

Personal was friendly:-)

Enjoyed the university ambience but improve the parking for tourists .
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Parking is disorganized. I received a $50. Montreal parking infraction because the controlled gate lot where I was told to park was overbooked.

The aquatic & athletic facility is excellent.

Close to the university, so location was perfect to me.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

WiFi only downstairs, it's painful when you need the Internet all the time.

Close to the university, so location was perfect to me. The price was also good.

SO. BAD.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn't like anything about this place. The listing on Booking.com makes studios hotel look really nice and somewhat practical. In reality.... you're living in the same residence dorm building as other Montreal Uni students. It is dark, tiny, questionable cleanliness, and not very welcome as a "hotel." It was so sad and we were so disappointed as visitors to Montreal. Please do NOT book here!

We liked Yala, who was at front desk. She helped us change our reservation so kindly and professionally.

Extremly uncomfortable
    • Superior Single Room with Shared Bathroom

ventilation in the room is too bad. extremly uncomfortable. No wifi in the room, no air conditioner in the room. breakfast was bad. Living experience is even worse than the domitory I lived in China. The price is way more expensive than it worth.

Fantastic stay, great value!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It's worth splurging on a room with a private bathroom, but again, the shared bathrooms are are clean, and you know that's what you are signing up for.

Perfect location to hit the less touristy parts of Montreal. Great as just a room for the night. Not great if you are going to spend significant time in the room.

Interesting, but not ideal.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The washroom was a disaster - water was leaking from the shower on the floor above, and it was dirty. The room was very warm, although this was not unexpected since it was not air-conditioned. So, really, only the washroom made the stay less than ideal.

The bed was comfortable, and the people were nice.

Another World Traveled
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was extremely small. It is a 1 person private college dorm room to be exact. (When I seen they had a double room I thought the room would be bigger but it wasn't). I been in many dorms bigger than this.

You are 15-20 mins from everything you need in montreal. As a Tourist at least.

Building I was in is solid in construction...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Because of the construction there is no wifi available in the rooms (signal cant really propagate) Once in the building it would been nice to have clear direction on how to get up to the room itself (you need to take 2 elevators but they are locate quite far apart from each other)

Building I was in is solid in construction (cinderblock+concrete) no very little noise from other guests The metro station is only a 3-4 min walk away.

Backpacker x Les Studios
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

the showers and bathrooms need some work. the water pressure was so low it took almost an hour to get the shampoo off my hair

great for backpackers, beautiful scenery and transportation options.

The price was good and the location was very close to the...

I felt a little deceived by the website. There was no wifi or ac, no bathrooms in the room (and the shared bathrooms for the floor were cramped and broke easily) everything was relatively clean but everything was barely functional. The layout of the hotel was extremely confusing and inconvenient. All I can say is that I survived for a few days wouldn't stay again.

The price was good and the location was very close to the metro.

The room & view were great.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The bedding was lacking...flat pillows,foam mattress. Lights were a bit bright & hard to reach for someone shorter (5'3...had to get my partner to reach one).

The room & view were great.Loved the sink in the room and also the mini fridge. The access to common kitchen in the basement, helps with budgeting for meals.

Economical but noisy

Noisy Room was very small but can comfortable. Unfortunately we could hear everything from the adjacent room and all the doors closing. Not soundproof at all.

Nice place close to subway stations and bus stop is just in...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It would be nice to have a list of services (like Wi-Fi access, café working time and so on) in each room or at least at some easy place on the reception. 2Booking - there was a software error in transferring my name to the hotel info system properly (non-Latin characters were broken).

Nice place close to subway stations and bus stop is just in a few steps. Service is simple but cheap :) Personnel is quite positive (but maybe a bit slow).

Nice, affordable stay.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was very very warm. No air was circulating. Had problems sleeping because it was too hot and too damp.

The price and the breakfast and the night staff.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Great place at a resonable price
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Could have had a better bed, but it was not uncomfortable. adequate.

4 minute walk to public transit- Metro. Great for one person not wanting anything fancy. 45 min. to Canadian F1 site or to Via Rail Center Station.

Student type very basic room accomodation, issue with elevators into the main building.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Elavator are not properly working, old, slow and often broken, require refurbishing the elevator. Move up & down without opening the doors and some other issues is regularly occuring too. Was forced twice to walk up & down the 10 floors with luggage. Also they using a 4 inch `hospital` type mattress with plastique wrapping and plywood flat base, suggest bringing an extra linen or slipping bag to sleep more confortably. No air-conditioning in summer.

Private rooms, place quite

I had business to do at the University, so the nearby...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I had to go down to the lobby for WiFi, which was a mild inconvenience. Since it is a student residence, the bathrooms are also shared.

I had business to do at the University, so the nearby location was very convenient. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

The price is cheap, and the environment is safe since the...
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Not so clean. We added one bed in our room for our son, but found another women's hair on the pillow. Also, a lot of hair found on the floor. Not so sure if the room has been cleaned thoroughly. And the room's smell is not good.

The price is cheap, and the environment is safe since the hotel located on the campus of the University of Montreal.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Staff were nice
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room boiling, facilities none, microwave only not a kitchen as states online. Showers clean ok but no lights and no window. Rooms decor horrendous, clean but the bed was the worst I have ever slept in woke up in pain through my neck and back as did my partner. Not with the money you pay atal.

Staff were nice

Good location and price, good for a solo traveler.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very small rooms, extra for parking around 20$ which is lot considering the rate of the room per night, bed no so comfortable.

Good location and price, good for a solo traveler.

A good place for someone who just needs a comfortable place to sleep and take shower
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Pillow was not smelling good

Cleanliness, staff and the fact that's a very central location

Cool Atmosphere close to city

No AC, no Fridge

Cool Atmosphere close to city

Overall what I got what I paid for
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathrooms were a bit dirty and it was hotter in my room than outside.

The common rooms were very nice and check in was easy.

No internet in the rooms, The building was soo far, I had...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No internet in the rooms, The building was soo far, I had troubles to reach it with my 2 luggages

good bed not excellent.

to have a tv.

good bed not excellent. it did have a fan which brought some relieve a fair breakfast

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

• Superior Single Room with Shared Bathroom

everything. no air con. no wifi(what age is it?!)

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Overall it was good
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The showers and bathroom we're not in my room

Nothing really stay at an or drom room

Dirty place
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very dirty place, the shared bathroom was never cleaned, dirty dudes, very noisy, rude receptionist

NO AC! super hot

WEIRD THAT THIS HOTEL HAS NO AC!!!! SUPER HOT IN MONTREAL DURING SUMMER ☹️☹️☹️

That's terrible stay there for one night.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

That's terrible stay there for one night.

Clean linens
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No AC, no wi-fi in the room

Clean linens

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

The worst hotel ever
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room had a terrible smell and the bed didn’t even had a pillow. It looked worst than a prison room.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Close to subway and other facilities
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Room very small Lacks more comfort

Beds small Good for one person only

Not again but doable When you Drunk
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No power in my room. Not really comfy bed and no Wi-Fi in room.

AC - fan

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms are actually dorm rooms from university hostel. No AC, no wifi in rooms, shared washrooms with 10 other rooms.

Too small room

Please never book this place even for free.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No free parking, breakfast and WiFi. Very unclean.

I did not like at all.

I was not happy

Everything is bad.

No things.

There was no WiFi connection inside the room.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

There was no WiFi connection inside the room.

Before you book on third party, just check on their website what they have.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared toilets not clean. No soaps, No shampoo. Its just a dormitory. Very old utilities.

stay away
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

misadvertized property. this is a crappy student hole on a univercity campus with no secured parking on a contrary of their claims.

Very old building

Very old building Elevator service horrible Very smelly Not good at all

It's not a hostel, it's a college building, turned...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It's not a hostel, it's a college building, turned into rooms. Not comfy and the toilets are shared