Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Downtown 4 stars

108 Chestnut Street, M5G 1R3 Toronto, Canada

#28 of 133 hotels in Toronto

Reasonable.
    • Queen Room

No drinking water in the room. In a hot summer hotel should provide few bottles of complementary drinking water like in other establishment like Sheraton-Toronto.

location.

we enjoyed the staff and building facilities
    • Queen Room

the room was small but it suited us fine. there was a lot of dust and we totally noticed it around the room and like grubby fingerprints on the lamps but it was ok.

they have a pool and sauna,but the saunas are in the washrooms so u cant really sit with ur partner unless no one else minds...... the gym was small but seemed accommodating to those who ised it. our rooms bathroom was so nice

Overall a good place to stay, convenient for theatres and train station.
    • Deluxe King Suite with Sofa Bed

The blanket for the pullout was pretty tacky.

I was happy to find accommodation that worked for myself and two teenage grand-daughters. They shared a king size bed and I slept on the pullout couch which was surprisingly comfortable.

Nice staff, relatively convenient location.
    • Queen Room

Quite possible the worst WI-FI I have encountered in staying at many hotels in the last several years. Either because of the interference from neighbouring apartment buildings (literally dozens of access points!), or because of the lack of access security (perhaps the neighbouring apartment buildings are also using the wifi?), I found the connection very unstable, with frequent disconnects. In an attempt to correct it, their IT person reset the wifi on the entire floor, which helped briefly, but the problem reappeared later. A colleague I encountered coincidentally staying there, 5 floors below, complained about the same problem. I'm not sure why they opened wifi generically, not even a captive portal or simple login.

Nice staff, relatively convenient location. Small, but efficient room with a nice view.

Great location, helpful staff.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

I have stayed at this hotel several times because the location is great for my purposes, it is comfortable and has a good on-site restaurant. The cost at certain times of the year prompts me to stay elsewhere.

Good stay

The King room was good but the air-conditioning unit was old & not very good at regulating the temperature. It was either too cold or too warm !

When we arrived from SFO late at night at the hotel we were advised that they had experienced a plumbing problem that caused flooding in some of the floors on that day & so they had no room ready for us ! The front office manager was very understanding & organised a cab to take us to another Hilton hotel closer to the airport. The next day we were able to check into the Doubletree by Hilton downtown Toronto. The inconvenience caused to us was cushioned by the lovely professional service of the front office staff who went out of their way to make the remainder of our stay more comfortable. Location was excellent within walking distance of downtown areas & China town & Kensington market.

Really clean and the hotel's location is great.
    • Queen Room

Our room was next to the elevators, so it was noisy. When checking in, the girl told us they have overbooked us (we paid more -in advance) but they were going to make a refund when checking out. Last day the man that check us out told us they have charged us the correct price...not sure what happened there. Other than this our stay was ok.

Really clean and the hotel's location is great. The view from the room was amazing

Lovely two nights in downtown Toronto
    • Queen Room

Security deposit taken from card on check in without being informed, wasn’t stated anywhere on website. Also there was no safe in the room despite being advertised.

Lovely view of CN Tower and skyline from room on 21st floor

Great location and very nice hotel.

Great location near St Patrick station. 3 stops from Union Station. Lots of things to do nearby like Art Gallery of Ontario and behind City Hall the Toronto Outdoor Art Fair. There are shops nearby. Very nice hotel. Lots of walking and enjoyed our stay.

Perfect location for exploring Toronto

Noisy air con. Some rooms are in need for renovations. Furniture is old. The safe in my room was damaged.

Great location. Friendly staff. Any issues were taken care of immediately. 2 complimentary bottles of water provided daily.

we would loved to stay here again
    • Queen Room

there is nothing we didnt like we loved it

Every one was so friendly the room was wonderful and clean the bed was so comfortable loved the welcoming cookies

liked the layout of the room.
    • Superior One-Bedroom King Suite

liked the layout of the room. It would have been nice to have a small table in the room. There were no extra pillows for the person sleeping on the sofa bed (especially disappointing) as the maid set up the sofabed for us. Otherwise, we enjoyed our short stay.

Hotel staff was great!

The Hemisphere Restaurant/Bar staff was slow and staff not super quick or friendly, menu was limited and the bar closed at 11pm. Considering the hotel isn't very close to any happening spots, we would have liked a better restaurant and bar experience, that way we would have stayed there and spent money at the property instead of leaving.

The bed was very comfortable and the room appropriate for our needs. The hotel staff was excellent, especially the concierge, who gave us tons of good advice and recommendations for travel around Niagara! We arrived at the hotel early in the morning after taking a red eye flight and the staff was able to get us into our rooms so we could have a nap before hitting Toronto. That was greatly appreciated!

Eh I can see why people prefer Airbnb

At check in the clerk didn’t answer any of my questions she would simply proceed to talk over me. Later that night I requested extra towels the gentleman said it would be 15 minutes. Good thing I didn’t hold my breath because the following morning came and it was time to check out still no towels. I also find it absurd to have to pay for parking if you’re paying for a room. Lastly they didn’t know anything about USD now that’s crazy considering it’s a tourist town. It also took two clerks to calculate the total of a sprite, orange juice, and a vitamin water. I’m legit laughing as I type this. What a hot mess.

The room was nice and bright.

Hotel with amazing view to the city
    • Queen Room

Bed was too soft for me.

The hotel is in the central location next to the city hall and famous TORONTO sign. We got a lovely and very clean room with an amazing view to the city and CN tower.

The front desk staff were so friendly and welcoming...
    • Queen Room

The front desk staff were so friendly and welcoming checking-in, and checking-out. The view from our room was beautiful as the location of the hotel is great.

June stay

While it didn't feel dated it did feel a bit overused. Dings and scratches on the furniture in the room.

Location was great. Staff was friendly. Price we paid was great. Parking availability was good, with the City Hall lot right next door.

Very welcoming atmostphere.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

Wardrobe door was a bit tricky. The bedroom only had one chair and it would be nice if there were two chairs so both of us could sit comfortably. The bed springs made us roll to the middle somewhat.

Restaurant food was delicious and beautifully presented. Easy walking to main financial district and Union Station. Snack bar in the foyer was useful and easy to use.

delicious cookie.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Expensive damage fee that we even don’t know why. They said we need to pay the cleaning fee but we did not damage anything. We just put some stuff on the desk

delicious cookie. Supply anytime you want, and always be warm

Anyway, I am sure I made the correct decision to stay here.
    • Queen Room

Make sure you check the bill again. The staff said sometimes there are mistakes while booking from booking.com. The price I got first was different and way higher than that shown on booking.com. However, the staff helped me make it correct! So, don't worry!

The location is definitely perfect! It is close to a subway station, and there are all kinds of restaurants around. You can walk to many spots as well if you like. (e.g. city hall, China town, Eaton centre...) Also, the room is clean and the service is nice!

Excellent location

The AC was extremely noisy and kept me up all night. Not ideal if you're a light sleeper.

Good location - close to all the main attractions and near restaurants/cafes The famous cookie at the check-in was a nice touch, especially after a long haul flight! Loads of points to charge phones/devices in the room Clean room. The bathroom was spotless.

This would not be my first choice for a hotel in Toronto. I expected more from Hilton.
    • Queen Room

The Hemisphere Restaurant off the hotel lobby was a disappointment. I ordered the Signature Eggs Benedict and the Canadian Bacon had a sour taste to it. It could have been the Hollandaise Sauce, too. I was not sure, but I think that was what gave me diarrhea. Service was very slow. We had to tackle the waiter to get our check. He never made eye contact the entire time we were at breakfast. He seemed embarrassed to work there. The shelf above the sink in the bathroom was a problem too. It sticks out too far, and a forehead collision results if not careful.

Basically everything was clean and comfortable. The location was close to more than a dozen Asian restaurants; so if you like Asian food, you have a huge selection. Dundas Square is also just a few blocks away and there is always something going on there. So many things are just a ten minute walk. My friend and I went to a concert at Massey Hall and we walked there.

I was performing in Luminato’s Le Grand Continental at City...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

I was performing in Luminato’s Le Grand Continental at City Hall over the weekend. The proximity to City Hall made it so easy, especially between two shows on one day. I was able to call me back to the hotel to relax (and stay dry).

Wonderful weekend experience!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

The bed was soft and comfortable. There was a wonderful ambiance created by the artwork and the atmosphere. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was great for our purposes, including the proximity to the Rogers Center, even though it is not down town.

Too excellent to pass up. Location, wifi, comfort of sleep and we felt safe there.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast included could have been a great perk or the parking. I do understand that both are perks not always offered but you asked. Just a note for vertically challenged guests at 5' the glass shelving in the bathroom is right at my eye level would have been nice to use unobstructed mirror...for future renos 🙃

The staff was amazingly helpful especially the girl that was working Saturday past, she was so engaging. The beds were amazing. Although it was more dated than I expected they have provided everything you could hope for at home. The location is exactly perfect for that ACC, university, yonge street corridor.

Sleepless in Toronto
    • Queen Room

Room was right beside elevator and I was woken repeatedly all night and the Front desk manager did not care or do anything about it

Comfortable bed and fairly new decor

Perfect stay for an event at the Rogers' Center!

WiFi didn't work anywhere, but we didn't really go there to be on the internet, so it was fine.

Yummy cookies at check-in! Room was comfy and very clean. Location was exactly what we needed.

lovely hotel in very good location
    • Queen Room

no meats for continental breakfast

beautiful clean room with super comfy beds. Delicious complimentary cookies. very good location continental breakfast limited

Very good value for money and ideal for our short sightseeing stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were all helpful and friendly (special shout out to Jing) and the fresh cookies were a lovely touch, and especially welcome after a long transatlantic flight!

Would stay again

Unsure if this was just our room, but there was no safe to lock away any items. Disposable coffee mugs for the coffee machine - would be better overall for the environment to use normal mugs.

Great location in reach of lots of different areas of Toronto, not just the downtown area and waterfront. Staff on arrival so welcoming and the warm cookie was a nice touch. Staff in general very nice. The room was small but clean and the bed was really comfy. Bathroom clean, shower powerful and toiletries provided were very good. Free wifi.

Staff was great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Exercise room had something to be desired with respect to weights and other excercise equipment. Parking was too expensive. Find public parking nearby! Room was small relative to my expectation given the price. So somewhat overpriced.

Staff was great. Pool was very nice. . Restaurant staff were just lovely, friendly people. Very clean.

FABULOUS
    • Queen Room

I was locked into the washroom at 10:00 pm after swimming. Good thing my friend was there to open the door. I would appreciate glass wine glasses in my room and real coffee cups.

The hotel was immediately casual and elegant, in a perfect location from the bus terminal. The whole staff were smart, well presented, and personable. The food addressed my vegan diet...thank you.

Price does not always equal quality. Great staff but not a great room
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

The bed size and shower was difficult to keep from falling.

Bed was too small but doable. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall, crown molding did not go all the way around ceiling. closet door was chipping and shower handle would not stay up right. The shower head was not attached to the wall so it was on an adjustable arm that kept falling down. Now I know $200 is usually the going rate anywhere in Toronto but it's really getting to pricey to even stay in the city. Go train is a better option.

Very good location in the centre of the city.

Rather expensive for good, but not excellent quality. Breakfast pastry (croissants, danishes, muffins) cheap supermarket quality.

Very good location in the centre of the city. Quiet.

Perfect nights stay for a weekend getaway.

The fridge was more of a freezer. It froze everything we put in it. Bit of an inconvenience because it ruined some of the special diet foods my sister needed for the morning. Room 1011.

The service at this hotel was excellent. Warm fast friendly check in. Very clean rooms, bed like a cloud and great water pressure in the shower. The location was perfect. We were able to walk to Dundas Square and the Eatons Centre within a few minutes.

A perfect place to stay.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

Parking structure did not fit oversized vehicles, it left us running around for parking.

Love the warm cookie, rooms are always clean, enjoy the room fridge.

It was an average hotel, nothing overly good or bad about it.
    • Queen Room

The room was smaller than I thought it would be and it took about two to three times as long as any other hotel I've been at to check in and out.

The free cookie was nice, it was average besides that.

Staff at desk were efficient and helpful.

Parking was too tight and very limited spaces for what we are being charged. Parking garage is shared with the public which makes their guests have to cross their fingers for a spot. Garage is also ridiculously tight. I was very grateful we have a small car. I don't know how a pick-up etc. would fair. Staff came to our door at check out time to make sure we were checking out. If we were late, fine - but at check out time is unnecessary.

Staff at desk were efficient and helpful. Concierge was also helpful and had a good sense of humour which is always appreciated.

Right through Downtown
    • Queen Room

* A bit expensive * Got double charge even I ask them not to charge my other card (ask them twice to make sure its not charged) .. took more than 2 wks to return to my credit card.

* Location * View ( was given a nice view) * Bed is comfortable * Availability of gym, pool and Laundry self service

Terrible

Long story short, we arrived for check in past midnight and were told that no crib is available for our baby even though we requested it several months ago. The front desk man Kirupa was extremely rude. I asked him, "what's your name?" and he responds, "why, is this going to get you a crib?" I was astounded that the Hilton lets their staff speak like that to their guests. We had to leave, because without a crib our baby would have to sleep on the floor or in her car seat, yet they told us they will still charge us for the stay! Apparently they are always having this problem of not having cribs available, yet it seems they couldn't care less to rectify this.

Super Friendly Staff, Great Location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I stayed with my husband and our 16 month old baby. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful to us and especially to my daughter making us feel special and very welcome. The beds were comfortable and cosy and the place felt really clean. The location is also excellent.

Very clean and comfortable room, was perfect for a stay in...
    • Queen Room

There was an adjoining door connecting our room to another from which we could hear the people in the room next to us talking and watching tv as it wasn't that soundproof.

Very clean and comfortable room, was perfect for a stay in downtown Toronto. Staff were very welcoming and helpful, and was a great location for Chinatown, Kensington Market and shopping at the Eaton Centre.

Wonderful stay in a terrific downtown Toronto location.
    • Queen Room

I booked a queen room for my husband & I for our 7 night stay. This was my decision but I did not realise how small the room would be for two people. If there are two of you make sure you book a king size room, as I am sure they will be bigger. We had to take it in turn to unpack our luggage as there was not enough space for both of us to move around in the room & once unpacked our three suitcases took up a lot of floor space, as there was nowhere in the room to store them.

The location was perfect for our leisure trip, the staff very friendly & the room was cleaned to a very high standard everyday.

Nice hotel, nice service provided in the lobby. 6/10
    • Queen Room

We weren’t aware that we had to pay a 350CAD deposit for our stay, which left us with no money and asking family to send us some. Luckily refunded end of trip but disappointed that we couldn’t enjoy our own money. Maids outside our room were talking loudly and laughing at 7:30am waking me up every morning. Carpet in the hall ways of our floor needed a clean.

Lovely room and bathroom with completely bottles of water every day. 24 hour service and a snacks shop in the lobby.

Pleasant stay close to city centre
    • Queen Room

The hotel was central, clean and elegant, staff was helpful and very friendly. We loved the warm cookies as we always do when we stay at the Doubletree and the view from our window, highly recommended!

Overall good.

Checking in. The night manager was less than helpful, was confused and it took about 40 minutes to check in. The young gentleman also on duty eventually helped. He was reluctant to just jump in and waited to be asked. The manager was relevant to ask for his help. This really put a damper on our already late evening

The facilities were lovely

Overall a very pleasant - short - stay in a downtown hotel with excellent staff support

The price

Manager Matt Scriven did - out of courtesy - a terrigic job for me when I had some visa issues. His help was Highway regarded. He didn’t have to do it but he did!

We were there for a show at mirvish théâtre for one night...
    • Deluxe King Suite with Sofa Bed

We were there for a show at mirvish théâtre for one night the property was a great place to stay and the staff was great. Our bed was a king size and we were very confortablewe can t wait to go back

Good value with the booking.com discount ;)

The room was a little tight, only 1 person can pass along from the door to past the end of the bed.

Good location, everything downtown was walkable. Room was clean and bed was comfortable.

I love staying here because of the location and the good quality of the room.
    • Queen Room

There was no complimentary drinking water. For someone coming from a long flight, there should be drinking water in the room as a welcome.

The bed firmness is just right. Towels are soft and perfect size. Room is clean. Toiletries are nice - good quality. Perfect location - very convenient, near Eaton Center and restaurants and convenience stores. I love the cookie!

The mirrors in the bathroom had excellent lighting, we were...

The parking was pretty expensive but for the location it wasn’t terrible. I paid with debit and had to pay a $250 deposit and wait upon checking out to get it back.

The mirrors in the bathroom had excellent lighting, we were high up so we didn’t hear any of the city noises. Upon arrival we were greeted with warm cookies.

I came in for my birthday check in was fine check out was...

the only thing I didn't like is I wish the upgrade was available for my room that was it

I came in for my birthday check in was fine check out was great there is no problems in the room it was a great stay thank you

Hotel was ok, but not more than that.

Parking quite expensive.

Hotel was ok, but not more than that. Breakfast acceptable, but nothing outstanding. Good location, quite central, but in a quiet street.

1st time in Toronto. Hope to return to Toronto and will stay at Doubletree again.

no complaints

an all around excellent experience. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Bartender Rafi was also very professional yet very friendly and helpful

Loved it!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

I have no complaints. Would stay again

Great location, clean rooms, helpful staff. Let us check in early and held our bags after checkout until our flight at 9:00pm

Really not to be remmembered
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Because we booked through Booking.Com we were treated like outcasts. Could hardly be heard by the staff and everyone basically ignored us and our requests. It was really awful . I can't remember any service establishment treating Guests this way no matter who they booked through. Even when we complained they said it was the hotel policy towards booking.com customers .

Really friendly helpful staff, awesome location, clean rooms...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

the parking costs per day is 30 CAD which is dissapointing, on emore thing the price that you book is not the price you pay, the tax is all exclusive so pay attention by booking.

Really friendly helpful staff, awesome location, clean rooms and comfortable bed

Great location, comfortable rooms and yummy cookies

The only thing I didn't like was the parking situation, it's very tight in the parking garage and makes you really nervous when navigating in it because only 1 car can fit at a time.

The cookies upon arrival were a nice touch to the check-in process. I arrived really early because I was attending a conference, they had my room ready by noon that day which I really appreciated. The room was comfy and clean. Location close to most things and staff very accomodating.

Good location with bad service
    • Queen Room

Staff weren't friendly. They didn't clean our room and even asked if we put up a do not disturb sign. We had to call them to clean it at 6pm

Great place in downtown Toronto
    • Queen Room

Price was a bit steep but it is the heart of Toronto. Parking rate of $35 per day also on a high side.

Superb location. Nice clean corner room with 2 windows. Free water bottles offered daily. Coffee/tea machine in the room, and hot water available in the lobby.

Pleasant.

When I checked in early my room wasn’t ready and so the desk clerk would not register me. This was inconvenient as I was about to leave for an event and could not get back until very late that evening. She put a note on my file but since the rooms were sold out to be safe I made an especial trip back to register. My question is why could she have not registered me with room pending rather than invonvenience me with an extra trip back to register? Unacceptable.

The bed was superb...extremely comfortable and the staff was very atrentitive and tried hard.

good position.
    • Queen Room

parking in front of the hotel was cheaper than in the hotel garage, but we discovered this by chance as we were encouraged to take the hotel parking (however we discover this is quite common practice)

good position. we got a room with a nice view on the city

It was a great stay , thank you to the oustanding housekeeping
    • Queen Room

Cleaneless of the property from inside the rooms to everything.

“I loved the location of the hotel, the staffing,a very professional client orientation ,it is a place to be in Toronto and I will always come back , Linda,Paris”

Initial greeting with checking was very welcoming.
    • Queen Room

I had to change rooms after partying on the floor kept me awake most of the night. Because of the inconvenience, I would have expected an employee to assist with my room change e.g., bring new rooms keys to me. Instead, I had to go down with luggage to the lobby, get new keys, and then go upstairs and unload all before heading out for the day to a conference. As I was doing this, other people were complaining about the noise as well. Rather than move well behaved guests, the partying guests should have been removed. There was also an issue with extra billing that has yet to be resolved.

Initial greeting with checking was very welcoming.

Bed bugs.

My (first) room had bed bugs. I came away with 40-50 nasty bites. Hotel management was civil/professional but not particularly apologetic (to paraphrase: "it's something that happens in hotels").

Good breakfast at restaurant; good location, attractive rooms.

Comfortable in a good location
    • Queen Room

There was no safe in the room. There was a coffee machine but no kettle for tea drnkers.Decor was a little tired.

Scrambled eggs at breakfast were really good. Location was great for attractions in Toronto.

Overall our stay was good. Location.

Although it was comfortable, The king bed seemed to overcrowd the room. The loud knocking noise that seemed to be coming from the bathroom fan even when not turned on.

The comfy bed.

A great hotel close to everything that made our trip really nice.
    • Queen Room

Bathroom was too small. The vanity crowded the toilet and the toilet tissue was too far from the toilet to be used comfortably. An extra chair would have been appreciated.

Location is great, guest service was really good, restaurant food was excellent. Amenities were good, bed was really comfortable and there were 3 windows with different views.

The location is great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed in fifth floor and it was quite noisy from outside

The location is great. The room is fine. We’ve been with a baby and got cot micro and kettle very comfortable

There is not nearly enough room to park a vehicle to register at the hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Burger prepared as requested; too many French fries!

We were seated at a nice table with a cityscape view. We ordered burgers and they were good, but not exceptional - I asked for medium rare and the burger was well done. Still, the service was fine. Later, we came down for a cocktail. Good, prompt service.

Good

We couldn't get underground parking as it was full and very difficult to get in and out of parking garage. We had to park elsewhere, which was not convienent with a small child and luggage

Everything about my stay in this hotel was excellent.
    • Queen Room

Everything about my stay in this hotel was excellent. In particular, the bed was extremely comfortable; the room had a wonderful view and the location was perfect. The staff couldn't be nicer (especially the lady servicing the room). I would recommend this hotel without any reservations.

Stay was close to what I needed in Toronto.

Booking via Booking.com meant i could not claim my Hilton points though - which was disappointing.

Stay was close to what I needed in Toronto. Staff were very helpful.

Won’t go back because of staff and poor electrical

Staff rude, electrical sockets not working in bathroom and main area. Had it looked at but shorts out when you use stuff. Not convenient when you’re trying to get ready for an event and your hair is half done. Advised supervisor of poor experience and he did nothing but look at me blankly with an ingenuine statement that he’ll retrain staff.

Ok
    • Queen Room

Checking in was painful with long lines , it took me more than 45 minutes to check in. The manager was standing and just watching. I was hoping that he would be more helpful and help out personally to make the line and the waiting shorter.

Clean. Good location