Reviews of North Vancouver Hotel 3 stars

1800 Capilano Road, V7P 3B6 North Vancouver, Canada

#12 of 16 hotels in North Vancouver

No elevator for 2nd floor...

Great room, good bed and pillows, clean and calm, laundry, swimming pool, parking, very good breakfast, great front desk, bus stop in front that takes you to downtown in 10 minutes... great location, great staff! No Elevators. Good for family too! Very Recommended! I will back for sure! Special thanks to Dhebora and Cristina very gentle and help me a lot!

No elevator for 2nd floor...

Property is sinking - on ground floor and the back of the room - to the bathroom - slopped downward.

Bed was very comfortable - clean room and bathroom.

The pool was closed and should have been mentioned upfront! I always book a hotel with a pool for our 4year old, and only heard at check-in is was closed. Otherwise I would have choosen another hotel instead!

Clean rooms and a good location for visits to North part of Vancouver by car (as car park was free)

Wish there's a choice how eggs were prepared, aside from scrambled.

We received a follow-up note because we had the "Do not disturb" sign. Also, you are not stingy on clean towels. The breakfast person was most gracious and helpful, even proactive. Check-in and check-out were fast and complete.

Eight mornings of boring, repetitious breakfasts. Try having bagels as a choice rather than the horrid white bread. The sausages were not browned and looked unappetizing. Bacon appeared one morning only.

I liked the bed and the wonderful pillows. Very clean. The desk clerk Deborah was most welcoming, helpful and dealt with my needs very efficiently. I was a guest because of a flood in my residence. An unfortunate situation.

We have a small dog who does not bark and is well mannered. Kind of resent paying $25.00 a night for him. Maybe it could be a charge depending on size.

ALL WAS GOOD Everyone friendly and had our room ready and close the office for easy parking our large truck. Happy they took pets. the had a wonderful breakfast each morning.

Motel quite run down and needs a facelift. Breakfast was average at best with hard pastries and not many options.

Earls across the road-soon to be built out though... 🙁

The outdoor pool was closed

Good location for activities - central to the things we were looking to do (the aquarium, science world and th suspension bridge)

They offer a comfortable accommodation like many other places but the breakfast they offer is head and shoulders above most others. Most just make a token breakfast, North Vancouver Motel make a real effort, something you can actually call a real breakfast.

The wi fi was variable in some parts of the room.

Firstly, the room had a view of the mountains, which were covered in snow and, secondly, the motel had easy access to waterfront walks, shops and restaurants. The ski areas were just up the hill. The room was very comfortable.

Noisy, unsavory guests and thin walls made 3 of the 4 nights unpleasant and not peaceful. When I notified the front desk they did little to get the neighbors to quiet down, and even blamed me for complaining too often.

Pillows were a bit lumpy, they could be replaced, heater wasn't great, had to turn it up quite high to heat the room. Warmer blanket or a spare fo reach bed in the room would have been better than going to the front desk.

It was very clean, beds were comfortable. Staff professional and friendly.

The stopper to the bathtub caused problems. Recommend having a mirror on the wall in the bedroom area.

The 2 beds were really comfortable. Liked having a bath for relaxing as opposed to a shower. The room was amazingly quiet at night.

• Standard King Room

The tile floors could have used a couple extra rugs- bring slippers or cozy socks!

Pet friendly, large room, parking big enough for uhaul and fridge and microwave. Comfy beds!

The staff were quite mediocre, not friendly at all. Felt like they were doing some kind of favor by checking us in and out. The breakfast was a disaster. Not the food itself, the way it's organized. The room with the food is tiny, there are always lines and crowds of hungry hotel guests, the tables are not cleaned often enough. Our hotel room was old and faced the courtyard, so no, no view whatsoever. And there were some long hairs in our bathroom, which were obviously not ours, because none of us (my husband, our baby, or myself) has long hair.

The location is excellent if you are there to explore North/West Vancouver. It was a good value for the money we paid - that's about it. Very very basic, more motel-like place. The heaters worked, that's a good thing in winter, right? :)

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

We checked in on Wednesday into what we thought was a pet friendly room. Everything was fine until Friday night. I went to the office with my dog to tell them we'd be checking out in the morning. The person at the front desk saw our dog and said, "you've got a dog! You're not in a pet friendly room!" She made us change rooms at 9:30 pm and tried to charge us more. After much argument we asked to speak to the manager. She said the manager would be there in the morning. We had to delay our departure to speak with the manager in the morning. The manager was helpful and straightened things out. They put us in a non pet room because that was all they had. The night person didn't know this. This put a damper in our otherwise nice trip.

The room was nice and clean.

That they checked my room before returning my deposit. Is this because I don't have a credit card?

I like the breakfast that is provided every morning. It's in a great location.

There was a weird smell in the room, breakfast was bad, limited options, cold eggs etc, I only ate it once in 7 days. Don’t book this hotel for the breakfast. I feel like the hotel was over priced for the standard.

The room was basic but clean

The dog had a really hard time with the tiled floor in the room. Good idea for dog friendly rooms, but it was like walking on ice for her, so she was quite anxious.

It was fine, as expected.

There were a few teams staying near our room, I think. There was a bit of activity - doors slamming, a bit of shouting - but all was quiet after 9:00 pm.

Prompt, friendly service upon check-in, lovely staff. Our room was updated and very clean, with nice linens and comfortable beds. The hotel itself is in a great location and a great value.

The heating in the room turns on every 5 minutes and makes quite some noise for a few minutes.

Convenient location just close to the bridge that goes towards Vancouver Downtown. Breakfast is available.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

The sterility of the room was very off putting. It smelled like a hospital room which was really depressing to me. I used my own air freshener to get rid of the smell. Floors were cold. Slippers are provided but I do not trust them as I have worked in hotels and spas and know the reality of these things getting switched out. Maybe tell people before hand to bring slippers. Or use rugs. Parking lot is a bit cramped.

Staff, Location breakfast were great. (Pancake machine woot woot) the room was super clean and large beds were comfy. Bedding and pillows were cozy.

I didn't like the $200 deposit because I don't have a credit card. I do understand the reason for it though. Maybe have an option of being a trusted repeat customer would be in order.

I like the nice hot breakfast options. Some Earl Grey Tea would have been nice though. I really like the room I stayed in, 201. At the end of the building with only the street noise to deal with.

There were two extra small windows,one in the bathroom,which I like for ventilation. The carpets were clean and beds super comfy. Lots of amenities and and easy access on public transport.

Great breakfast. Comfy beds. Good quality towels. Close to public bus transport. We were able to leave our bags after check out, until we needed to go to the airport. Obliging staff.

Lower corner areas in the shower needed attention. Contractor would have to rectify. Stuffy odour in room when windows closed. Pizza key card number was not correct for out of province callers.

Bed was comfy and the front desk, breakfast and cleaning staff were great. I was there on a very sensitive issue and the helpful staffs was very much appreciated.

This is a nice facility, clean and comfortable. The room had a refrigerator and microwave, which we don't always see in motel rooms. The property was also very quiet, even though it's on a busy street. Lovely full, hot breakfast.

• Standard King Room

The breakfast could have offered a wider selection to accommodate different diets, ie gluten free, dairy free, healthier selections.

The bed was very comfortable and the modified shower/bath was very convenient.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

It's on an incredibly busy road. Traffic noise in our room was constant and even walking down to restaurants was a little nerve wracking.

Great location. Walking distance to restaurants and activities.

The room smelled like smoke - the plug ins didn't all work, and one even crumbled when we tried to use it. The hidden fees on top of a $320 room (for 2 nights) pushed our bill to over $400 - without having used any amenities!

Not very clean - hair found in the bed on arrival Rooms very dimly lit - poor lighting Breakfast area very dirty and felt unclean to eat food in breakfast area - saw spiders and insects near food and some of the food looked old and not fresh

Friendly staff Good pillows and bedding

Location was a bus ride to city centre but busses were frequent so not a big problem. Very few places to eat around hotel. All chain restaurants.

value for money. Ok room and a good breakfast.

1 2 Star at best 2 overpriced 3 didn't like that they demanded all money for 3 nights upfront and still charged $100 deposit which still has not been credited back to card 4 carpet dirty

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

The bathroom is small, the adjacent road noisy (only during the day).

This hotel is much better than the impression we got from some of the comments here! The rooms are very spacious, with a clean marble floor and good beds. The pool is not large, but heated and located in the center of the buildings. What really surprised us is the excellent hot breakfast. It is included in the price (although not mentioned in the description), and the hotel avoids a lot of trash by using real plates, cups etc. together with cutlery made out of metal. Hint: For going directly to Vancouver, use bus 240 (stop around the corner on Marine Drive), for Lonsdale (Seabus) use bus 239 or 246, the latter stops almost in front of the hotel.

• Standard King Room

See above cleaning of staircase etc.

Conveniently placed near through routes. Swimming pool for kids. Think they could have swept balcony walkways better. Friendly staff. Good breakfast perhaps tables could have been cleaned more regularly. Value for money.

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast and parking being included was great. The kids liked the pool and we enjoyed our stay. As a family, we'd stay there again.

Breakfast. The cost. The final cost was quite a bit higher than what was estimated on booking.com. We didn't have any extra costs, and the exchange rate was actually better than when I originally booked so it should have be less. Way overpriced for the quality of the hotel.

The rooms were very clean and beds comfy. Partially updated. I also liked that they had a water cooler in the lobby and also free wifi.

It smelled like pesticides, was old not as pictured on the site and loud coz it's on the road. It's motel type and should be way cheaper. The included breakfast is also low quality. The app doesn't mention that they require a "nosmoking" deposit of 100 on top of the price. I'm still waiting to get it back since I don't smoke.

Free parking

No elevator. After a long day of travel, the bags were a lot heavier.

We needed a place to sleep the night before departing on our AK cruise. The place was 20 minutes away from the pier and included breakfast for under $200.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms really need to be aired out - they have a very stale smell masked by air freshener. We didn't use the air conditioner heating unit as it made the air quality worse. They also had ants in there breakfast area near the pancake maker.

There was a small outdoor pool and the free breakfast included an ok selection of pancakes, sausage or bacon, toast. The people running the place were friendly.

The outside of the place has a shabby look, but really just seems well visited with the staff on top of dealing with the ton of families. The breakfast wasn't great, but you wouldn't think anyone had a problem with the food, the place was just packed each morning. The staff should be commended for keeping anything stocked thru the breakfast hours.

The room was very clean. Staff very nice

• Standard King Room

The bed was comfy. The room was lovely and clean. they need to install curtains that block the light as I found the light pollution from outside made it very difficult to fall asleep and subsequently I had a very poor sleep!

• Standard King Room

Hotel was very old and rundown, doesn't look like it has paint or even a wash in 10 years. There were rats running around everywhere due to excessive garbage on location. The beds were horrible, the only thing worse were the pillows, more like rocks. Fences were rotten and falling down. Do not be deceived by the pictures on the internet, they must be at least 20 years old. Who ever owns this property is interested only in pulling as much revenue as possible from it, with absolutely no interest in maintenance or upgrading.

Breakfast was edible, but not great.

It's not worth the money. Breakfast is terrible with tables constantly dirty and staff expecting guests cleaning after themselves putting dishes away and cleaning tables before sitting. Rooms old, stuffy and humid.

Location was great. Close to some good attractions

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

windows need to be more sound prof, in front of the hotel, do to noise from the street. Have pets stay on first floors and noise prof the floor, to kept the noise level down for the first floor. Have more staff to help at the breakfast , to keep up the food and fork, cups eta.

good location. first room in hotel was too close to a busy road. could heard loud traffic at all times. Can hear people and pets walk around in upstairs room. The food was ok. It was hard for staff to keep up the food and have fork, eta for breakfast. staff was very nice and helpful.

As above

The breakfast was a "srumb". Poorly organised. Everyone tripping over one another. Obvious items missed from room-care. Overall, unprofessional.

Having an Espresso coffee machine would be amazing, even though I know it's a waste of money in North America :)

This place is located in a great position, easy to get there from the airport and 5 minutes by car from downtown. Clean and tidy, room was comfortable and breakfast was on point. I would go back there again.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The only complaint heard from one family member was that his bed was a bit "hard".

We had an unfortunate experience with a sick 4 year old who vomited several times during the first night of our stay. The front office was very helpful in supplying us with extra towels for our clean-up. Also, the affected bed was made up "good as new" the next day. We had spent 3 previous nights at a nearby motel, and found there was no comparison to yours! It was much more expensive, much smaller, not as clean, had no bathtub (only a very small delapitated shower), outdated furniture, no continental breakfast, poor internet connection, too close to major construction that started up noisily at 7am, etc. etc. YOU had none of that! We were SO happy that we made the move to your facility. Thanks for being there!

• Standard King Room

The room was clean and comfortable as well as located well to the areas we wanted to visit. Not particularly pretty but a good value considering the high rents in Vancouver.

The dining area is very tight and small for that many people! And there are two small stacked up bins for people to put their dirty dish into the bins. But wait!!! You're asking people to take the trash and clean their plates and separate their cups and utensils and plates before putting them in two bins. How low class is that??? Do you want us to do your dishes too? Or load up your dish washer? And the congestion it creates in that small area?!!!? People are bumping to each other left and right. Please put a few bins outside so ppl don't have to walk with their stacks of plates and bowls and cups and juice glasses inside and bump into ppl who are walking with their food plates and hot tea or hot coffee cups. It's just not safe and not very good flow! Please expand or build a second story above the current dining area or wherever you've room. Or hire one person to just collect the dirty dishes from outside dining area so ppl just walk out and leave without standing on the way of the ppl who are getting breakfast. Thank you.

Cleanliness

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No smoking area! So people standing around outside their rooms. Opportunity to use the area near the laundry room,the grasses area could easily be fixed up to allow people to sit and smoke and provide an ashtray

Great location to be near capilano also Grouse mountain . Pool is great to spend afternoon

Bit noisy in our room for first 2 nights. 2nd stay had a quieter room.

Close to attractions: Capillano bridge and Grouse Mountain. Pool was clean, friendly helpful staff, comfy beds, excellant breakfast. Close to highway to Whistler.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Washroom wasn't very clean. Eggs st breakfast also weren't very good.

How close it was to Capilano park. The beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The room was very comfortable, well equipped, and the pool was a lovely added bonus. The staff were super friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast in the morning was wonderful. I would stay here again in a heart beat, and highly recommend it to others.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

It is an older building, but they did the best they could to make everything go well for us.

They did their very best to make this a pleasurable stay. Staff was pleasant and professional.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

You could easily hear people talking in the next room. Not very sound proof.

The staff are all terrific, as always. Very convenient location and parking is great!

The room was dirty when we check in stains on window curtains, walls dirty and tub had some residues. Pretty noisy from other guest. Our dog barked all night....we had stairs beside our room and also noisy ppl on second floor all night above us. Crow ate my breakfast. A bit expensive for that quality.

Breakfast was good.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

Check in staff member was not friendly, phone did not work in the room and staff member did not seem to care when informed, horrible choice of breakfast foods, carpets need to be replaced, bed was hard and uncomfortable

The breakfast room was outdoors. As it was mid March, rainy and cool it was not enticing.

The location was very handy, the rooms were comfortable and clean, had microwave and mini fridge. The maid left us 2 wine glasses so we didn't have to celebrate out of plastic cups.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Pet Friendly

I had a very unsatisfactory discussion with reception when calling about room arrangements. Then, the room was cold and I had to get dressed to go to reception to get a blanket as they would not deliver.

I liked that pet-friendly rooms were available.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

The breakfast food thats being serve wasn't that great. At night all the way to early in the morning, there's younger adults were partying, loud voices, and possible drugs and alcohol involved! We complaint about it, but it seems like they were aware of it. Definitely, NOT A GOOD PLACE TO STAY FOR FAMILY!

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Standard King Room

Great value for what we needed it for. We were just staying the night before driving up to Whistler. The staff was kind and the breakfast got the job done.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

All was good! Nothing negative to say

Hotel was clean and safe(mom with two daughters traveling alone). Close to many restaurants, malls and mountains. We had snow the whole time(5 days) and they cleared the parking lot several times a day. The free breakfast was great for everyone... scrambled eggs, sausage links or bacon, cereal, pancakes, fruit, plain yogurt and toppings, several coffees (French vanilla, cappuccino or regular) and 4 different juices to choose from. Great location...just across the Lionsgate Bridge....Most places were only a 15 minute drive from the hotel.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Standard King Room

The room was designated pet friendly and easy to clean. The conintental breakfast was good and had many options. The location was good for walking to coffee and food.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Standard King Room

We found the noise and lack of soundproofing from an unrelated adjoining room quite disruptive to our peace and quiet.

Friendly staff, comfortable bed and room. Good breakfast. Great location and price.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

It was all good - for the price -- good value.

The staff were very accommodating. Seven of us were there for a funeral and they allowed us early access to the rooms so we could change, etc. Breakfast was also good for a continental breakfast that was included.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

In the morning the guy at the desk was very obviously afraid of my dog, and when I checked out he didn't even thank me for staying

The room was very warm when I arrived, I liked that because it was snowing and cold

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Room could have been warmer, heater did not seem to make it warm enough and we arrived at 4:30am and were not offered or allowed a late check out, even though it was a weekday in slow season

Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Can't say a bad thing about this property. Our stay was short (only 15 hours) but I will definitely return

Clean, comfortable, close to everything. The staff were extremely friendly and pleasant to deal with

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

I extended my stay into the weekend and was charged double ... I did not realize this until I checked out.

Location was good. Complimentary breakfast was fine, but not deluxe. They do not advertise deluxe.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

The wireless internet was kind of terrible, and I could hear little bit sound from the room next to us.

The location is convenient. You can take the bus to the bridge in 10 minutes, and there are several buses can directly arrive Stanley Park and Downtown area in Vancouver. The breakfast was good enough!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

No printers associated with business centre so printing boarding passes was not an easy/straight forward option. Would have liked towels and cushions for the loungers at the pool.

Access to other locations was great - city centre, university, ferry, airport. Comfortable rooms. Heated patio for breakfast eating appreciated! Pool well maintained.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The mattress was too soft for my liking. You should have some rooms with firmer mattresses that can be booked. The scrambled eggs & sausages were undercooked. The sausages were likely boiled but they needed to be browned up in a skillet before serving. The overhead heating elements in the outdoor breakfast area should be turned off when the weather is nice. As they were, they were too hot to sit under comfortably.

The hotel is close to downtown Vancouver. The mini coffee packs in the room were good. Overall, the hot breakfast wasn't bad. The small outdoor pool and associated lawn furniture were good.

Price seemed high for what was received, but I get it --Renos. Our carpet was buckling... My guess is water leaking somewhere.

We stayed here purely out of convenience to Capliano Bridge and coming off the HB ferry. We'd also stayed here for a few nights about five years ago and didn't really like it then. They've done lots of Renos since and it's much nicer. Something the motel didn't have to do was spot us a little milk for an empty baby bottle late at night. I very much appreciated that gesture.