Reviews of Westin Nova Scotian 4 stars

1181 Hollis Street, B3H 2P6 Halifax, Canada

#23 of 38 hotels in Halifax

• Traditional Double Room

I have visited this Westin more than a dozen times. I was on the 3rd floor facing the street. There was a young team also in my floor who’s parents sat out in the hallway and it got really loud later in the night. That included revellers outside on the 1st floor balcony. I understand everyone can’t get the best room but I thought loyalty to staying there might have some pull. I had asked for a harbour room and could only get it if I paid more. I’ve stayed enough times to not need to pay more, including a 2 week stay when my mom was sick a few years ago.

• Traditional Queen Room

We did not like the way we were treated upon our arrival .... The curtains don't darken the room and the light comes in early disturbing sleep. The rooms are not well insulated ....

Not much ....

• Traditional Queen Room

Very noisy, doors slamming by guests and staff in morning 8am-9am. Room very old, and hotel tired looking. Shower clogged with water above my ankles, reported first day but not fixed!

• Traditional Double Room

Small room with very little light, small window, small TV, small bathroom. I wasn't a fan of the wallpaper, and could have used a few more outlets.

The location and historic feel, free parking, free breakfast, price.

• Traditional Queen Room

The toilets are set too low (only about 12 inches off the ground and there was not a grab bar to assist people to raise themselves up (poor ergonomics and uncomfortable). The walls also lack soundproofing between the adjoining rooms.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was well proportioned and laid out.

• Traditional Queen Room

There was a list of issues with our room. First the room was dated and small. Air conditioning did not work, very hot in room the entire stay. Adjusted controls to lowest setting and no change, tried leaving window open the second night but no change in temperature and got to hear loud cars even louder most of the night. The first night there was a party next door until around 11:00pm, at times we could not hear the TV in our room......then it was quiet until 2:30am (bars closed at 2:00 I assumed) doors slamming and party resumed. On the second night the party was loud for only about an hour early in the evening then it was quiet. Lastly, the "free" wifi kept dropping and after several hours of frustration I gave up on it.

building was nice, easy to find and parking was easy

• Traditional Double Room

THE ONE THING THAT DISAPPOINTED ME IS I ASHED THREE TIMES TO HAVE A FORM SENT TO ME TO GIVE AUTHORIZATION FOR MY WIFE TO USE THE CREDIT CARD THAT I BOOKED AS SHE WAS NOT GOING TO HAVE IT WITH HER AND NEVER DID RECEIVE IT.

MOST EVERYTHING WAS FINE

• Traditional Double Room

fridge didnt work found out to late it was connected to light switch no free wifi even charged for use of music channels on cable..

very cleen beds were comfy and staff was great

• Premium King Room

To purchase food and drinks on the hotel site was very expensive. Parking was not included with your room and the price per day to park was extremely high.

Bed was very comfortable. All the staff were extremely friendly, polite and professional. Our room had a great view of the harbour. Lots of elevators so we never had to wait long for one.

• Traditional Queen Room

I was in Halifax for a medical appointment and didn't know how long I would be and I was not able to extend my checkout time if needed, so I had to check out at 8 a. m. and hang around in the lobby until my drive left at 3 pm

• Traditional Double Room

The bed mattress were not good We couldn’t open the window We were not able to regulate the temperature, in the evening to cold, during the night to warm,

The whole facility was great

• Traditional Double Room

This hotel has an ongoing problem with noisy guests. Inconsiderate people are something we often deal with in life, but the hotel policy appears to be inconsistent with the result that a significant number of guests are inconvenienced. Not good.

Excellent location.

• Traditional Double Room

The drain in our bathroom was really slow. There was a good few inches of water in the bottom of the tub when I finished my shower. The sink was the same.

• Traditional Queen Room

The room was tiny and I thought overpriced for it’s size.

Really close to venue for daughter’s competition. Friendly staff. Clean room. Upscale lobby area.

• Traditional Queen Room

Loved the shower and the bathroom in general, but as a clean freak I noted grungy dirt or maybe black mildew in the crevice that is part of the toilet lid. Not something that would wipe off easily...you would probably need to use bleach and a toothbrush to clean it properly, but it was very obvious to me every time I raised or lowered the lid. Not so thrilled to have to pay for parking as a guest, but great to be able to come and go without hassle too.

Fruit smoothies were delicious and nutritious!! Coffee was great too!

• Traditional Double Room

Part of the hotel was under renovations. There was only two working elevators and the wait could be long at times. The elevator from the floors to access the pool was in the section getting renovated so you had to go through the main lobby. Couldn’t even take the stairs because we tried: we were only on the 3rd floor, but could not even access the lobby floor as it was closed off and there was a leak, two buckets actually blocked the bottoms of one set of stairs and another set had the carpet bubbling up from the leak. I was actually concerned fire safety wise. Yes, you could access to outside, but with the leak only one set of accessible stairs, buckets and all worried me. The water pressure in the room was also slow.

The beds were really comfortable.

• Traditional Queen Room

Room requires renovation, windows were old and fogged up, wall paper was peeling in places, pillows were flat and needed replacement.

Conveniently located

• Traditional Double Room

It was under construction which I understand happens. No one advised of this before our stay. Even the pool area had a section taped off. Also to have to pay for parking $23 for a parking pass for a 1 night stay on top of the price for the hotel room.....

Loved the location! Also loved the comfort of the beds.

• Traditional Queen Room

The control for temperature in pur room was tricky -- and the room was veryhot. Additional for parking, additional for Internet, additional for gym gear, it all adds up -- there were a lot of 'additionals' to the base price for aspects that other hotels in the area offer as part of their base price. That would be the one thing that would have us looking to sample lodging elsewhere for next time.

We loved the fact that we could rent gym gear. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The restaurant food was scrumdelicous (scallops and Caesar!) and our Cuban serveuse was helpful and just delightful. We were made to feel at home in the hotel, and we loved the ambience --lovely and luxurious yet warm and welcoming.

• Traditional King Room

The stay was fine. Except there was absolutely no air conditioning in the room and the window did not allow for any breeeze to come it. This all led to a very uncomfortable night. I would expect a place of this caliber to have adequate air conditioning. It’s quite disappointing

Room was good size and clean. And the location is great

• Traditional King Room

Paying 20$ for outdoor parking. The rooms that I booked were nowhere near each other. The hotel is under renovations, workers started very early in the morning making it impossible to sleep due to the noise level.

Very comfortable bed.

• Traditional Queen Room

Upon arrival, the room was dirty. There were stains on the furniture tops. Sequenes on the floor as well as dog food. There were long black hairs in linens. I went to Roy's Lounge and spent $38.84. The server had attitude and didn't seem interested in being there. I asked her to charge the room and I was billed for $50. The server added an $11.16 tip to my bill without my permission. Ultimately, stealing from me. Severely displeased with the service and cleanliness for what I paid.

The location was the best part of this hotel.

• Traditional Queen Room

The room service burger was good, but a little too messy for the price. I also sort of wish there was a note on the menu letting visitors know that "medium rare" is illegal to serve in Nova Scotia.

The amenities were so thoughtful. The robes were soft, and they include a lavender scented oil to help you sleep! How thoughtful!

• Traditional Double Room

Water pressure of the shower a bit weak, and temperature not consistent. There was a problem with slow drainage, but housekeeping improved it quickly without us brining the issue up.

The beds are comfy.

• Traditional Queen Room

The room was not at all sound proof, the bathroom was too small as the style of toilet was not in proportion with rest of bathroom and took up a lot of the space. The meal at "elements" restaurant was excellent other than the prices were very high for the portions

The staff were superb and went over and beyond with helping us during our stay.

• Traditional Queen Room

We were charged for 2 separate bookings at Westin; however, only booked one room.....not 2. The property was not able to help us with charges due to booking through you. Contacted customer service at Booking.com and was told there was nothing that could be done due to your cancellation policy although it was due to your website that charges were applied. Very dissatisfied with your services and would never recommend to family, friends or colleagues to use your company. My husband and I had made the special plans to go out and do something fun and exciting for New Year's Eve in 10 years only ending up having our plans ruined due to 2nd charge for a 2nd room which also left us unable to enjoy ourselves AND also left us short on funds to do what we had planned for our special evening. Left us upset, disappointed that this happened and from this experience, a lesson learned the hard way and to never use your website.

The convenience of booking accommodation.

• Traditional Double Room

Having to pay for parking, over and above our rate of stay, is always a little bit of a sting ... do wish you could do something about that. :-(

Very friendly staff and helpful too. Even though they have renovations going on, on the floor we stayed on, you would never have known ... comfortable and quiet, regardless.

The hot tub was not functional, not even warm. Also the elevators were under construction... and no one gave us instructions as to to how to get to where we needed .

The beds were great, pillows and comforter very comfy.

The service is wxcellent. I always valet park here because they are so great. The beds super comfy as well. This hotel is more reminiscent if the hotels in days gone by. Classy.

• Traditional Queen Room

The temperature in the room was very warm. The blind came off the roller so could not expose window in the AM and found that the lighting in the room was in very isolated areas, and hence very dark. I really missed the natural light when I tried to pack up!

The location was within minutes of where I had to meet for the day.

• Traditional King Room

I was in the "older section" of the hotel in Room 642. The walls were paper-thin between the next room. I could hear normal conversation, and the sounds of everything from slamming doors, to amourous couple noises at 02:00 AM which awakened me. Was really gross to overhear lovemaking in Room 640. Also the toilet in my room was a "smaller sized hospital type toilet, that was difficult to get on/off as it was roughly the same height as the little plastic trash can in the bathroom. The toilet had the old type flush handle push, but to flush the handle you constantly had to manually put the toilet seat up, and down, to access the handle. The hotel was GREAT, but my Room #642 was very noisy. I would not stay in the "old" section of the hotel, unless they extensively renovate, and soundproof the rooms.

Polite friendly staff. Very clean hotel, restaurant was very good.

• Traditional Queen Room

Nothing really The door staff and the cleaners were friendly and extremely helpful

Brunch was a total dining experience The food was fresh, beautifully prepared and presented. The chef and serving staff were courteous and efficient and the manager was charming in control but not overbearing

• Traditional King Room

While I was there they had an organization there and therefore the resturant was off limits but the bar/cafe was available. Not what I was looking for at dinner but the city offers a huge selection of resturants close by.

The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable about the area. It was very nice to just walk from the lobby of the train station into the lobby of the hotel.

I booke a room on booking.com but when I checked in the room was no longer available so will no longer use booking.com

Was very central could walk everywhere and park at hotel Customer service was really , we had some issues that they were very helpful with

• Traditional Double Room

i really dont care for the older part of the hotel nor the 3rd floor part of it. i have stayed on the 8th and 5th floor facing the park which was much better but im guessing that was all that was available.

the beds are always comfy. i have stayed at the Westin several times and would choose no other.the staff were polite but the young fellow who cleans the rooms could use a smile but was polite.

• Traditional Queen Room

We had booked a non refundable room and paid upfront, but the staff member at the front desk (who may have been new), couldn't seem to tell that we had paid already. So we had to talk to the front desk a few times to get it straightened out.

Cental location - easy to get to restaurants, etc. The room was nice and comfortable.

• Traditional Queen Room

After paying for a regular room, we were given a non-standard room (629) which didn't even have a window. There was a small skylight outlet near the ceiling. There were construction workers looking down at us from the rooftop. Highly unprofessional. The staff at the check in counter deliberately gave us this room. I would not guess why. Probably my comment would not apply to most guests, but frankly, this was an insult to us. We didn't make a big deal out of this as we were on holiday and didn't want it spoiled.

The location in downtown Halifax is excellent and its a short walk to all the sites in downtown, waterfront and the Citadel. Breakfast at the dining room was very good.

• Traditional Queen Room

The bed was like a cloud. Free water bottles, nice toiletries, free aromatherapy roller ball capsule of lavender, hairdryer in room. It's all good 😁.would stay here again. Location is unbeatable.

• Traditional Double Room

Price of food was very high and the breakfast buffet was cold at times. Streets close to the hotel were all under construction which made it difficult for parking offsite if you wanted to do some sightseeing. Parking at the hotel was very expensive.

I liked the location of the hotel close to the boardwalk. The beds were very comfy. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Traditional Queen Room

I could not apply my hotel points because I booked the hotel through a third party vendor! That really stinks!! I could not make other changes because I booked through a third party vendor!! That really stinks.

Convenience

• Traditional King Room

Parking, didn't mind, could be better with support.

Great location close to downtown and the boardwalk. Very enjoyable and excellent food and facilities. The parking is a little odd with parking in the back and having to carry luggage in and out of the hotel without any help...

• Traditional Queen Room

My particular room had a poor view, and I had trouble finding a vending machine for a soda.

The Westin is directly across from the Farmer's Market building on the Harbour, so location is good. The bed was very comfortable and though the room was small, it was everything I needed. Good bath and shower with decent lighting in the bathroom for applying makeup.

• Traditional Double Room

Too overprice. 3 people jammed into a traditional room with very small bathroom. As a member received 1 bottle of water. Paid 274 a night. Stayed at several other hotels for much better value.

Bed was comfy, stAff friendly.

• Traditional Double Room

Wish I would have researched more. The CAA rate was cheaper by 30$ a night! However we were unable to get that rate due to booking through a third party

We have never stayed here before however we were super pleased with it all. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The guy at the valet was our favourite!! Great job

• Traditional King Room

weekend nights were noisy in parts of hotel. our room reverberated with dance floor noise and shouts from wedding party. staff moved us to a quieter room which was better so on a weekend, request a higher room away from the ballrooms, comedy show & conference rooms.

staff responsive. older hotel but kept up.

Free parking!

The location to the boardwalk was excellent - staff very helpful...made us a map to get out of the city! Room very comfortable and clean...

• Traditional Double Room

The hotel is in a great location for the Farmers Market, waterfront, attractions and many bars and restaurants . Our room was well equipped and very clean.

• Traditional Double Room

no breakfast included in the high room rate not very big bathroom nothing to complain about

standard business hotel room, confortable, decent size, possibility to place lagguage without problems close to the waterfront, to the train station a park and some restaurants silent clean rooms

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Traditional Double Room

Your hotel is very tired and needs to be either gutted or demolished. Our room had a very sour smell to it, the carpets are filthy, the window dressings do not hang correctly, the bathroom is too small for two people to prepare for bed or to prepare for the day. The shower fixtures are really strange to operate. Not much going for it I am sad to say. My husband grew up in Halifax and was anxious to take me to the "high end" Halifax hotel. We both were truly disappointed.

The breakfast buffet and menu were excellent. Members of the staff were very helpful and friendly. The valet parking was efficient and convenient but rather expensive. We enjoyed the location close to the beginning of the Historic Properties. The outside structure of the building is beautiful and leads one to think that the inside is elegant and probably was in its early days.

• Traditional Double Room

Breakfast not included; parking cost extra. We were double-charged for our room. It needed to be sorted out at check-out. The shower head and faucet were sub par,!very odd for a Westin. Climate control was not working properly.

Location was convenient.

• Traditional King Room

sheets were not ironed - to be honest not sure they were clean..

friendly and helpful staff Great location for arrival by train from Quebec Convenient for waterfront dining

• Traditional Queen Room

Didn't have a little area to purchase chips or snacks late at night if you didn't want to go out to the 24 hour shop especially for women. Recommend a vending machine would be great.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel wss vert clean. It was walking distance to the beautiful harbour! Near 24 hour grocery store if you forget things. Close to museum. Has a great buffet breakfast. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Traditional Queen Room

This hotel is right in the middle of everything you would want to do. We walked everywhere. It is right along the boardwalk of Halifax. Close to everything. There was nothing we didn't like about the hotel. The staff were very accommodating.

• Traditional King Room

We had to cancel our last night of reservations because our ferry was departing from the other end of Nova Scotia at 8am the next day. The hotel graciously refunded our money at the last minute. Excellent customer service, and in addition to the cleanliness and great location, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Traditional Queen Room

Air Conditioning was not very good at all. It did not blow cold air, had to sleep with blanket off so I would not sweat to death. The windows were forced shut so could not get out side air to circulate.

Clean room, extra towels in bathroom.

• Traditional Queen Room

We asked for a harbour view room at the time of booking several months ago and the week before when I called to confirm our reservation. This was the reason we chose this hotel - location to see the tall ships enter the harbour. When we got there the front desk told us we couldn't upgrade or choose a room because we didn't book directly with the hotel. Although we were there for only 4 days, housekeeping did not change our sheets until day 3. Very poor bed making skills until our last day there

Nice bathroom. The tub was great for soaking

• Traditional Double Room

The hotel is very dated. The air conditioner was too loud at night but the most outrageous thing was that they only provide 2 MB of free wifi in the rooms. What a joke. I paid over 300 dollars for the room when I could have paid far less to get free unlimited wifi elsewhere. I booked this hotel because I had an important Skype interview that I was scheduled and it turned out to be the worst decision of my life since I ended up having to use my mobile phone tethering to connect to the internet. Not recommended.

Location was good.

• Premium King Room

Location. A little too far from most activities, stores, restaurants.

Service. Every staff person we encountered was wonderful. I never say that, but it was true. Linens, towels really nice.

• Premium King Room

It is beginning to show some signs of age. It is in need of a little updating in the rooms to keep up with the competition. It is still in very clean condition, but you can begun to see some aging.

The staff at the Westin were incredibly polite and welcoming. They could NOT have been any nicer or accommodating for us. The property was located close to the water and all other amenities. The staff put my cooler packs in the hotel freezer for me!

• Traditional Double Room

Service is slow, room window is behind a 5 feet wall, room is very small, the air circulation is poor and smells stale, hallway and public area are untidy and old, elevators are slow, the stairway is dirty.

• Traditional Queen Room

The hotel was adequate for our purpose of meeting up with our tour group. Overall a nice place in a good location in Halifax, but a bit pricey compared to some of the other places we stayed during our trip.

• Traditional Queen Room

Facilities looking pretty shabby. I understand that a major renovation is being done next year. As I was walking to the lobby from the door closest to the restaurant a rat was scurrying down the hall towards me. It took a few tries to be able to speak with a manager. My wife wanted to leave but Halifax was pretty full. I convinced her to stay but she refused to eat there again. Manager on duty took one night off bill.

The location is excellent

• Traditional Queen Room

I was in room 411, and the double glazing in the windows had a broken seal so the window was permanently steamed up.

This hotel is ideal for a visit to Halifax because it is walking distance to all the interesting places, ie the harbour, ferry, excursions, citadel, sight-seeing, shops etc. The views from the room windows are lovely on both sides. The hotel is attached to the rail station and the bus station so handy for airport shuttle too.

• Traditional Queen Room

Sound proofing in rooms is low.

Located next to VIA rail station and the buzzy boardwalk esplanade. Watch Tango dancing or have a lobster. Farmers market nearby as well.

• Traditional Queen Room

Bed was not as firm as we would have liked.

Choices for breakfast were good, room was clean, staff were friendly and professional when checking in and were also accommodating, A great location....we came on the train and it was soooo good to have the Westin next store!

• Traditional Double Room

The fan in the room was loud and there was no bathroom fan. Room was small. Pool was good. Little bit of a walk to downtown but not too bad.

Took care of parking and breakfast for 2 days due to the first room having a funny smell. They moved us right away. Still a small room but smelled better.

• Traditional King Room

It appeared that the room had not been thoroughly serviced before we checked in. I found trash under the media console when I bent down to pick something up. There were no robes for us in the bathroom yet there was an empty hanger welcoming us to find out more about the heavenly robes. The room had a very strange configuration and was not well thought out in its layout. The King bed only had 1 night table on one side and you could only get out of the bed from one side since the other side was so close to the wall. The angle of the television was awkward for viewing from the bed.

We really liked the pool and the location.

• Traditional Queen Room

Good hotel with excellent location, right next to the VIA Rail station, which was convenient for me as I was to embark on a coast-to-coast, 4,300-mile train journey. Chris in the breakfast restaurant was a very nice and friendly waiter.

• Premium King Room

When I got there I had booked a room with a king bed which was all they had and the staff switched it to a room with 2 double beds to accommodate my adult daughter who was with us! We also had an excellent view of the USS Dwight Eisenhower, the Chilean tall ship and the cruise ship!

• Traditional Double Room

The smelly shower curtain !

The bed was heavenly and breakfast was so enjoyable. My only complaint is the shower curtain needed to be changed because it smelled sour.

• Traditional King Room

The cleaning staff missed our room one day , and the manager wasn,t really helpful in fixing the mistake.

the bellhops were very curtious and helpful .

• Traditional Queen Room

Horrible, weak WiFi. Parking card constantly malfunctioned and had to be replaced as often as twice a day. Tempermental plumbing (at one point necessitating a 1:00 AM visit by hotel engineer.

Spectacular view and exceedingly comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Traditional Queen Room

They gave us. Welcome card to allow us to leave the parking lot at night but it required. Credit card and charged me $14 and I had arrived 2 hours before. Then they charged my room a parking fee. The next day I told them the welcome cArs to get out didn't work and my card was charged they said they would remove but did not. Then when we left on Saturday the welcome card still didn't work and asked for credit card and I rang the buzzer which didn't work the night before and a lady told me to try again the welcome card but it failed 3 times asking for credit card. Finally she opened the gate and to put the samn welcome card in the drop off box. They made me feel like I was doing something wrong like it was such a bother to open the freaking gate. Plus they charge u for wifi...wifi should be free when u are staying at a hotel. Then we had the smallest room in the hotel and could hear the people on both sides all night then their showers running early morning. Then them trying their keys in their doors all the time through midnight to 2:00 am

I liked the beds.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Cleanliness of the room, room lockers were not working, very basic bathrooms, and iron stand etc were very basic....Westin has much higher image!

Smiling,welcoming and very helpful staff. Entrance and lobby was elegant, parking options were excellent

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Traditional Double Room

The room did not have a working fan in the bathroom, there was mold on the windows, the TV did not work and the noise was unreal. 3am and people are talking with loud voices in the hallway and you can hear the people in the rooms on either side of you. Not a quiet place to stay. For the money we were very disappointed. Had better stays in cheap hotels. The fridge did not keep anything cold.

We were within walking distance to our reservations for dinner and also other attractions.

Browse Westin Nova Scotian traveller photo gallery