Reviews of Petite Auberge Les Bons Matins 3 stars

1401 Argyle Avenue, H3G 1V5 Montréal, Canada

#16 of 54 B&Bs and Inns in Montréal

• Comfort Room

Not a big deal for me but maybe for someone- lots of stairs

Very clean Own bathroom Had communal kitchen with fridge and provided tea and coffee(keurig)

• Comfort Room

Some of the staff refused to speak English and were very rude. There was one server at breakfast who did speak some English and was very pleasant. Disappointing in a place aimed at tourists. I was charged $40 too much for my room and couldn’t speak to anyone to get the difference refunded. For this reason I wouldn’t stay again.

Great location for seeing the city. Huge room, jacuzzi bath, really nice space. Breakfast had good choices and was very nice.

• Comfort Suite

Was on the second floor (spiral metal back stairway). Lots of road construction going on. The shower was very small.

Beautiful brownstone-style apartment. Very romantic and well-appointed.

• Deluxe Double Room

Room was underneath the breakfast area so was very noisy from about 6am onwards. Other rooms look to have been in adjoining buildings which would have been better!

Good location right next to Metro. Great breakfast. Very relaxed.

• Comfort Room

Too many stairs for us to climb, with heavy luggage this is too hard and this is outside our expectation, we were shocked at the time we checked in. Very noisy and we can hear everyone’ foot steps on the corridor and stairs night and day. No microwave and utensils provide for us to warm up food and eat at room. No kettle in the room. Lights in room are too dim, hard to read maps and books. Fridge has No freezer in it for us to put ice cream.

Arts, colours on the walls and the breakfast staff were very helpful and friendly! Breakfast was great however there was no vegan options available i.e. soy milk or almond milk.

• Family Suite

Great apartment and great breakfast! Loved everything about it! There’s free parking in front of the building and the location is close to major sights! I would definitely stay there again!

• Deluxe Double Room

Very comfortable and well decorated room. The staff were amazing, so accommodating and friendly! Breakfast was spectacular! We will most definitely be staying here again!

• Deluxe Suite

The floors were just thin enough that the person above us who was up pacing all night kept us awake, too.

So uniquely beautiful and cozy! On an adorable little residential street in the middle of high rises. Delicious breakfast.

• Family Suite

The lighting of the apartment was a bit too weak, can be a little noisy because of the train passing through.

Best location, awesome breakfast, really friendly staff and great apartment! Loved it!

• Family Suite

The location of the bed and breakfast is tucked away in a dirty side street close to the freeway. The area of downtown is a bit rundown. Rue Guy nearby is not very interesting. There are coffeeshops and other fast food restaurants a few blocks away but the immediate premises of the lodging is not desirable.

Delicious breakfast served by an excellent staff. The room was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The small kitchen unit outside our room was clean and the Keurig machine worked out very well in cold weather.

• Comfort Room

Everything about it !!!!!

Place was located in great spot. Staff was so friendly and welcoming. Definately will stay here again and highly recommend to others.

• Family Suite

The room could have been cleaner, the kitchen utensils were not inviting. The coffee bar was not the greatest but I guess served the purpose.

The breakfast was very well executed. You pre-book your time for breakfast, and as such you don't have to contend with a crowded breakfast area and though it is made to order, food is quick, plus the staff are amazing. I speak no french but that was no problem. Finally the hotel is set in old Montreal and the decor fits right in, which is a pleasant departure from the cold, sharp finish of most more recent establishments.

• Deluxe Double Room

From the time we arrived here our experience was fabulous. The location, the breakfast, comfort of the room, cleanliness of the room, but most importantly -the amazing customer service of the staff. I have traveled for a majority of my life and I can honestly say this place exceeded my expectations. Thank you everyone for making mine and my daughters birthday weekend one to remember! I will definitely be staying here again when in Montreal.

• Deluxe Double Room

The room was very warm and I did not want to open the fire escape.

The facility surpassed my expectations. It was a weekend away with my eldest daughter and she loved it.

• Deluxe Suite

I thought I had cancelled the room on line, only to be charged the full amount of the stay. Please reimburse my credit card. I am fine with paying the $48 cancellation fee.

• Comfort Room

Family with a noisy young child had the room next to us for the first night - we didn't appreciate the noise. However, the second night was lovely and peaceful after the family left.

The room was cozy and comfortable. Location was amazing - just steps to the metro. Staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again.

• Comfort Room

A quiet Well appointed bedroom with small balcony and comfortable bed, hot shower and access to kitchen on the floor for coffee and tea, very convenient location and scrumptious breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

The place was so charming and ideally located. Everyone was very friendly and the rooms were wonderfully decorated with a Jacuzzi tub. The breakfasts were so good! I loved the dining room area. Great stay, would absolutely come back.

• Family Suite

I didn't like that when I booked the room via booking.com I was under false pretenses of which room I was actually booking. The hotel gave us another room upon arrival. One that had less square footage and less beds but I was still charged for the original rate quoted for the larger family suite. The room number we actually got isn't even listed in their website which is very misleading so I may be leary about using booking.com for our next trip.

• Comfort Room

Our oom was in separate building to main building where main desk, breakfast etc is. The floors SUPER creaky so often sounded like someone was stood outside our room. Other guests/residents quite noisy. No one on the desk for checkout, an instruction to leave the key in the room would have been fine. Bathroom tiny but grateful for an en suite. Bed small but manageable for 3 nights. Rang our own taxi's as desk only manned during core hours.

Great cooked breakfast (French toast YUM!) quirky decor, good proximity to metro station, walking distance to shops and restaurants. Friendly bilingual staff, TV in room and toiletries and plenty of clean towels provided.

• Family Suite

Breakfast was plentiful and well made but it was always the same and when you stay a week, it becomes repetitive.

The central location and the homy feeling of the suite

• Comfort Suite

Rooms are comfy and well decorated. Breakfast was beyond expectations. Literally 2 steps away from the metro and Bell Center. Perfect location to catch a Habs game.

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Location was fantastic! Breakfast was enjoyable. Room was beautiful. We loved every minute of our visit and will definitely return again!

• Comfort Room

I can't think of anything.

The suite was very comfortable and cozy. Nicely decorated and furnished. The staff were welcoming and friendly and very pleasant. The location was ideal, near the Bell Centre (we were going to a Montreal Canadiens' game). My son and I were delighted with the accommodations. The breakfasts were lovely. I would stay with you again.

• Deluxe Double Room

On street parking was very limited and confusing. We ended up having to pay extra to park in the lot behind the hotel.

This B&B was very cozy, it's right in the heart of downtown, but on a quiet little side street with very little traffic. We were concerned about being right next to the railroad, but never heard a thing! Breakfast was superb, they have an adorable little kitchen with a small staff who cooks and serves an amazing hot meal. The room was small but comfortable, and the bathroom looked to be recently renovated, with all the amenities we needed. The sheets were clean, the room was warm, and we were within comfortable walking distance of a host of great restaurants and everything we wanted to see and do.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Overall the property is still in good condition but after years of staying here, I noticed it's starting to get a little tired here and there...

The staff was awesome, so friendly and helpful as usual, and the location for us to get to the Bell Centre was perfect. Breakfast was quite yummy also!

• Comfort Suite

We checked in late and checked out early with no hotel representative available to speak with on ether side. No safe spot to drop off key and had to leave it in the mailbox..

Very convenient place after the Canadians hockey game.

• Comfort Room

We wish we had splurged a little more and gotten one of the bigger rooms.

French toast at breakfast is soooo good with the passion fruit mousse!! Great decor in the rooms. The breakfast and cleaning staff are super friendly and helpful :)

• Comfort Room

The reception is pretty nice. We love the breakfast, it cooked good and looked nice. The staff was really nice. The location is convenient and close to the metro and commercial street.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Sound travels there, I could hear everything in the suite downstairs, it kept me up, didn't know who to call because it was so late, no front desk. Also, I think it has to do more with the building itself. I used earplugs to solve the problem.

Great decor, delicious breakfast, friendly staff, extremely clean bedroom

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Comfort Room

The building is on the older side (but extremely well kept!), which means floors are creaky and doors are thin, but that wasn't that big of a deal to us. Our room was also on the darker side (it was a gloomy weekend anywaNote that the stairs and small bathrooms might be an issue for those with mobility issues.

We had a nice stay at this B&B over a long weekend. Clean and comfortable with lots of character. Just a few minutes from the metro and walking distance to bars, restaurants and shops. We stayed in a building separate from the reception - for us, this was nice, because it felt more private - like our own home away from home! Not sure how others might feel about that, but there are of course phones in the room should you need assistance.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Family Suite

Wonderful place to stay. Less then a 5 minute walk to the Metro, Bell Centre or shopping. Breakfast was amazing and staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend staying here to friends and family.

• Family Suite

Loud noises coming from other tenants at 3AM room beside us. Unable to sleep. Not able to reach staff after hours. They provided a cell phone but they were not answering their calls. E-mailed and left a message on the answering machine to explain the situation and they didn't even bothered to reply (either by phone or e-mail). Staff not available in the morning to review night situation.

Good breakfast.

• Comfort Suite

The shower in my room was very tiny.

The staff here are super friendly and accommodating, and the bed was SO comfortable! I loved the charm of the place....bright colors, fireplaces, exposed brick. Very close to everything....I walked to Old Montreal and all museums.

• Deluxe Suite

What a charming place. Room was massive. Loved the artwork. Very clean and comfortable. Great location-close to Crescent Street and Bell Centre. St. Catharines and shopping also nearby.

• Deluxe Double Room

There is no lift or escalator, we have to lift the heavy baggage from ground floor to top floor.

The room is big, clean and comfort. The breakfast is excellant.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

When we made the booking we were given the information that the room included a private bathroom. When we arrived late at night we found our bathroom was down the hall from our room which was quite inconvenient. The room also was very small.

The room was clean and comfortable.

• Comfort Room

The rooms were a little tight on space and that goes for the shower also

We were intrigued by the decor with vibrant colours in the wall hangings. The breakfast staff were friendly and efficient and the food good. Convenience of the Metro station a plus point

• Comfort Room

The stairs! If you only have an overnight bag fine, but when you have a 20kg suitcase getting up the stairs outside the building then the curved staircase inside is a struggle. You may not be staying in main building so check first before carting luggage up those stairs! The communal kitchen in our building was down the stairs in the basement. If you are young and /or fit it may not be a problem for you. The bathroom was so small there is no space to dry yourself. The tiniest bathroom I have ever seen. We stayed in a comfort room.

Breakfast was delicious and served by friendly bilingual staff. The buildings had lots of bright and colourful paintings and vintage furniture. The auberge is very close to a metro station and only a ten minute walk to Rue St. Catherine with its shops and restaurants.

• Comfort Room

Walls are a bit thin, so you can hear people walking up the stairs, or those that have the room above you.

Very clean and comfortable. Staff was very nice and breakfast was delicious!

• Deluxe Double Room

Our experience was delightful. There’ nothing we would have changed.

The friendliness of the staff. They were so helpful. Our bedroom which was exactly as stated. The breakfast which was delicious. Convenience to the subway was also a bonus

• Family Suite

The parking lot is small and I had trouble leaving due to a large truck behind me. The walls were thin and we were awoken when people in the room next door went into their room.

The location was perfect for our trip. The room was comfortable and just the right size for a small family.

• Comfort Room

This is a very cheerful place with exceptional breakfast served by friendly staff. The location is good for central Montreal and easy for our cab driver to locate. An exceptional value!

• Comfort Room

The bed was a bit soft for our liking .

The location was great , the breakfast was excellent , our room was very clean and there was a coffee machine with pods available in the kitchenette on our floor.

• Deluxe Suite

They advertise complimentary cocktail and snacks. We did not see nor were we offered these, even after we asked if they had wine on the premise.

Room was superbe, we had their luxury suite. Very quite even though right across train line. Ideal location for Bell Centre and downtown Montreal.

• Comfort Room

driving is not easy, a lot of one way driving; parking is expensive $16.5 per night; the bath is too tiny, can barely turnaround.

location is good especially for those who want to visit downtown area and comfortable for driving in downtown busy area The room is very clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

That our stay was so short. We loved it there.

We liked the Jacuzzi in the bedroom. The staff was really friendly. The location to downtown Montreal was great. Lots of fun. It was nice to have breakfast included with such a variety to suit everyone.

So many stairs!

The whole place has such a great feel. Great decor! The rooms and dining areas are bright and happy colours. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Oh, and the fabulous spas bath. What a treat. And the breakfast included in the cost has to be one of the best. Right by the metro station and Bell Centre. Easy walk to many places of interest around town.

• Family Suite

Room could use more electrical outlets and updated power. (Only four outlets in two-room suite and each contained an antiquated, overloaded extension cord). Also, housekeeping protocol could be improved. (Do Not Disturb sign was ignored, screens were removed from window, gratuity was taken before checkout.). FInally, weather was unseasonably warm, and heat was running with no access to shutoff, thus the open window.

Breakfast, bath, and beauty of room was outstanding. Parking was easy and inexpensive. Location is perfect for us - easy to get to and in case proximity to public transit, divining and shopping. Restaurant and front desk staff provided excellent service. Very good wifi, heating, and room amenities (mini kitchenette was well-stocked and organized.)...All that for a fantastic price.

• Deluxe Double Room

The stairs. We are elderly and the stairs were a problem for us with our luggage, we were on the second floor (2 flights of stairs). The young man at reception helped us when we arrived but there was noone to help when we checked out at 9.30am as reception doesn't open until 11.00am. I was unaware whsn booking that all rooms have stair access.

The location, size of room and especially bathroom. Breakfast was good and the breakfast staff were very friendly.

See everything above. 😞

The young man at the reception desk really needs training in hospitality. Arriving was less than agreeable, though he turned out to be very sweet. Electricity went out for one entire afternoon and evening and there was absolutely no provision for emergency lighting such as even a candle! There were also small things that weren't there to make for a special stay. No door handle on the sliding bathroom door; a kitchen with 3 little Keurig coffee packets (LIGHT brew--ugh); not one little cookie or treat or wine or even water offered in the afternoon or evening, etc, etc, it is a place with no owner presence and no feeling of specialness. Great breakfast and wonderful breakfast ladies serving, however. Room itself very clean and characterful. However, It was on the third floor with no elevator and my husband had back surgery a few months ago. It would have been nice to be told of this.

• Deluxe Double Room

We stayed in basement and the sound of kitchen staff was quite noisy early in the morning. One morning good staff serving breakfast, next morning a different team and not very friendly.

Bit different from the norm. Didn't have that hotel feel more like being in someone's home.

Our room (with spa tub) was downstairs beneath the dining room and kitchen. You could hear everything starting at 6:30. Not good if you like to sleep in. There is nobody there in the evenings and often nobody around to answer questions. Make sure you get all your info when you check in.

Great location! Comfortable bed. Great breakfast. Nice atmosphere. Very close to the metro.

• Comfort Suite

Great location. Easy to walk to all of the sites plus very near a metro station. The breakfasts were wonderful. We had a great room with a small balcony.

• Deluxe Suite

Breakfast was not as amazing as other travellers described. The coffee wasn't good. But it was "free" or included in the price so I can't really complain.

Bed, privacy, spacious room, jacuzzi, location.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Lots of stairs outside and inside, bathroom was down the hall so we didn't feel comfortable, no telephone in our room.

Great breakfast, great location, friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

Fellow at the reception was not impressive...no smile, no energy, not helpful... Luxury room was directly below kitchen so noisy early morning. Also window in room does not open or provide any natural light..a little misleading.

The breakfast was delicious and very generous. All fresh ingredients and serving staff were exceptional.Great value and location with room character!

• Deluxe Double Room

We weren't ready for a clear glass bathroom door.

The location was by far the best attribute! We were literally steps from the metro station. Breakfasts were quite good and served at convenient hours.

• Family Suite

Stayed in the family suite. The only door in the room was to the bathroom, so privacy was minimal. The stairs going up and down are steep and there's no way to keep crawling babies or toddlers from falling down them.

The breakfasts were amazing and the staff was very friendly. Metro station across the street

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The temperature in the room was very cold and did not respond to thermostat adjustments. There was no staff reachable to address problem. The breakfast was mediocre at best, although the breakfast staff was cheerful. The person at the desk when we arrived was unhelpful, appeared not to care.

The decor had a fun, offbeat style, well executed.

• Family Suite

A larger refrigerator would be nice.

Everyone was so nice and friendly. Beds were comfortable. Decorations were adorable. The whole set up was perfect.

• Deluxe Double Room

Had to walk up additional 2 flights of stairs. We are in our 70's and that was not easy. We should have been informed of this when we booked the room.

excellent breakfast and served with a smile

• Deluxe Double Room

Parking was a little bit difficult in the street in front of the hotel. You could pay $16 to park your car per day in their parking area, but this felt a little expensive.

The room was extremely clean and the staff were very friendly. The breakfast that was provided was delicious.

• Comfort Room

The stairs were do-able, but a little hard for my husband.

Full of charm and comfort. Loved the artwork everywhere. Breakfast was wonderful. Easy walk to St. Catherine street.

The back entrance to the rooms, from the car park, had not been cleaned. There were bird droppings and cobwebs everywhere. It was disgusting - when I complained, I was told it was the season. Very unprofessional. For this reason alone I would not return to this place or recommend it to a friend.

Big spacious rooms, very unusual decor, and excellent breakfast.

• Comfort Suite

You're not allowed to adjust the temperature in the room! I would have liked to be able to make it cooler at night.

The complimentary breakfast was fantastic - made to order! We had a comfort suite. Absolutely loved the jacuzzi tub. The hotel is conveniently located less than a block away from the metro. There wasn't a kitchen in our room, but there was a full communal kitchen in the building.

• Deluxe Suite

Our room contained several air conditioning units that took some time to work. There was a de-humidifier, too, that didn't work so well.

The room was large and very cutely decorated. The breakfast was outstanding-- a large choice of excellently prepared items like waffles, eggs, etc. One thing people should know is that it is not accessible to people with mobility problems -- hard for my partner to navigate all the stairs with luggage. Overall, we loved it though, even though it was quite pricey. A unique and cool place.

• Comfort Room

Could only check-in at 3 pm (but that's the standard everywhere).

Location was perfect ... walking distance to Ste. Catherine, Bell Centre, etc. Parking at the door with in-out privileges. Breakfast and wi-fi included. Late check-out. Will definitely return.

• Comfort Suite

The weather was very hot and humid. The room temperature was 4/5, would have liked it a bit cooler but then outside would have felt even hotter so it wasn't that bad:)

The location was excellent. I went for a concert at the Bell Centre and was basically across the street. The bed was comfortable. The décor beautiful. The check-in was easy and the breakfast staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. Coffee was available on my floor in the morning - which was great. Neighborhood was quiet even with the trains across the street, they were elevated and behind trees so never really noticed them. Overall loved my stay.

I couldn't find a flaw

The room was exactly like the photo's on their website..beautiful. Bed was amazingly comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful. Staff friendly and inviting. The manager is very accommodating. I have stayed at many bed and breakfast hotels in the states and other countries..none compare to this unique, quaint hotel. It is located near everything..the Metro station is on their corner. I highly recommend staying here. I plan to return every summer.

• Deluxe Double Room

Being in the basement (contrary to what we were told) meant it was a bit claustrophobic as you couldn't see out without looking up the outside stairs - which are filthy. Being directly under the kitchen meant being woke up at 6am every day when the ladies started making breakfast plus you hear the fridges running all the time. The shower stall is so small that the curtain wraps around you and when you turn you open the curtain and get water on the floor.

Spacious rooms and bathrooms. The best breakfast! The ladies serving breakfast are very friendly.

• Family Suite

-reception/front desk is not open 24 hours. -difficulties with parking.

We had the family suite and enjoyed the comfort. But the cleanness was not extraordinary, especially the stairs inside the suite... they really need to be vacuum cleaned more often ;). The breakfast is delicious, but you have to have an appointment/ scheduled time, what time you wish to come to the restaurant... not always as easy with a teenager on holiday.

• Comfort Room

Bedroom a bit small and dark but overall the accommodation was good value f.or money

A real surprise. The best breakfasts of the whole holiday. Freshly cooked, lots of choice and lots of lovely coffee

• Comfort Suite

Breakfast cereal selection and bread choice was limited. Fruit was minimal. Beware that top floor rooms have lots of stairs to access. No assistance offered and not an easy task with 22kg of luggage X2 plus hand luggage. With taxes an parking works out around £160 for B&B.. A lot of redevelopment ongoing in surrounding area.This is a positive sign.

Large room. Short walk to metro and main shopping street. Great bath after a days city exploring.

• Deluxe Suite

Everyone was so nice and friendly. Breakfast was delicious with very generous portions. Our room was super cute with great art and comfy furnishings and was very clean, including the bathroom and tub. The parking was very convenient, right outside the back entrance to our room and it was very close to the subway. It was a quiet neighborhood which really surprised us since it was so close to the subway!

Browse Petite Auberge Les Bons Matins traveller photo gallery