Reviews of Aloft Calgary University 4 stars

2359 Banff Trail Northwest, T2M 4L2 Calgary, Canada

#18 of 97 hotels in Calgary

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Very nice hotel

It was noisy when people were walking down the hallway and talking. The scrambled eggs at breakfast were quite bland.

Very unique decor, bed was comfortable, shower large.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

There was still a desk to work on and a fridge

Room with king size bed was VERY small for the money spent and no microwave. The desk was also very small

There was still a desk to work on and a fridge

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

will go again

The pool (or other) smell travelled into the restaurant and the reception area. The first smell impact when walking in the door was not so pleasant. It did not affect the rooms and the hallways, so in the end was acceptable.

Staff was very friendly and responsive. Room was clean. Small little extras were a delight: different sugar types for coffee, both shower gel & shampoo, etc.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

I loved the bliss soaps in the room, such a small thing but...

No hot tub?? They have a big pool area with lots of room to hangout, but a tiny pool and no hot tub!

I loved the bliss soaps in the room, such a small thing but so appreciated. The shower was nice.

Not our favourite for sure!!!!!

Super confusing the hallways, people wandering around trying to find their rooms calling it a maze. No ice machine on 2nd floor. Windows do not open.

Just what I needed I needed in an over night stay.

To be frank everything ticked all the right boxes about this place

Location is fantastic ! I was met with a lovely greeting when I arrived. And also In the morning before check out. Andrea at the front desk was super helpful with giving me a few quick tips to help me orientate where I was in the city etc. The clothes washer and dryer were amazingly efficient and that's saying somthing for me to talk about haha. Clean comfortable and modern all round. Really great stuff. Thank-you :) Mark

Below average if i would have option next time for aloft I would never come back.

One of the staff name cristina was so unwelcoming and unfriendly,she didn’t even explain us about the hotel and what is happening like other hotels does. Whole hotel has chlorine smell that was little annoying and there was smell in bathroom as well.

Beds were comfy

Overall okay

When we checked in the first room did not have the mattresses on the bed so a new room. Then, the last night the security lady used the latch to prop open the door while cleaning it. We had to get the naintenance guy to come and break into the room. Need to check but may have been charged for that even we did not create the issue.

Good breakfast

Great Stay!

We liked everything.

Clean, comfortable, stylish hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good. My kids enjoyed the pool (and pool table).

I was surprising impressed.
    • King Room - Disability Access

OMG! The bed was very comfortable, no aches or pains in the morning and I wanted to take the pillows home with me. The complimentary breakfast was fabulous as well.

Glad we stayed. Would stay here again.

Parking on site is limited as we came on a busy weekend and we had to park in a neighbouring hotel's parking lot and we were not told about underground parking. Luckily the weather was nice,

Rooms modern and clean; great walk-in shower. The fitness centre was ope 24 hours! A great option to work anytime of the day/night. Breakfast includes eggs and protein - a real treat.

Great valuefor money!
    • King Room - Disability Access

The halls and the nooms smell a bit musty. I think the carpets have absorbed moisture from the adjacent pool.

We have stayed at the Aloft University before and love the facilities and the location. The rooms are spacious. We like the free breakfast, although it isn’t fancy, it fills us up. The staff have always been excellent.

A great place to stay and fantastic location.

Sadly, the lounge didn't open till 4pm.

I like the modern style of this hotel, the staff were excellent, the room cozy and comfortable. The beds were very good. The lounge was nice as well, as i do like to have one in the hotels i stay at. And i like the approximate location to the Ctrain that runs just outside the hotel was a big plus in factoring where i would stay in Calgary, meaning that i could go downtown or anywhere in the city without driving.

I’m not sure who the staff member was that checked me in at...

I’m not a fan of the new room service menu or the to-go boxes that the food is delivered in now with plastic cutlery...pretty low end compared to the old standards!

I’m not sure who the staff member was that checked me in at 3:30pm on feb 24th but because of her I would return to aloft! She was incredibly friendly and professional...a complete pleasure to deal with! I was disappointed she wasn’t there for checkout lol!

Enjoyable stay, Breakfast food is great and lots of food, staff are very helpful.

Dark in the hallways

There were varieties of breakfast food and drinks. Underground parking was great and it was complimentary parking. My kid and her friend played billiards and main floor bathroom was great near the entrance. I was not able to use the pool but next time I will use the pool. Thank You.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Surprisingly pleasant and quite unexpected.

Not bringing my bathing suit for the pool. Certainly not the fault of the facility.

Beds extremely comfortable, breakfast menu superb ( good coffee, hard to find these days ) Very quiet, no extraneous noise from hallways or through the walls. Check-in and check-out easy to do. Information regarding facilities forthcoming while checking in. Best place to stay in Calgary.

Good accommodation, convenient location.

The breakfast sausages tasted a weird on some days. I'm not sure what that was about. The fire alarm in a room down the hall went off one night around 10PM and they couldn't turn it off... for like two hours. Very annoying. We ordered room service on one night and it took over an hour to arrive.

Overall the stay was good. The location is across the street from the train, which is extremely convenient. Big T's is right around the corner - would recommend eating there if you're staying at this location.

Good value for convenient location and a good nigh’s sleep.

Barn style door on bathroom was poor for privacy. Only one desk chair in the room; a longe / easy chair would have been a thoughtful and useful addition.

Comfortable bed. Good shower. Easy parking.

Very much enjoyed it overall, and would stay there again.

Ergonomy-wise: Window of the room I was basically aligned with the bathroom mirror, which is a bit indiscreet. A/C is right in front of the desk, so if you sit at the desk to work you are directly blown on. There are luckily tables/workspaces in the lounge etc. Sometimes I felt the food in the restaurant could do with less salt, though this can’t be generalized to the whole menu. A small kettle in the room could be a nice touch for those who don’t drink coffee.

Room is spacious, very clean, and quiet. Bed is big and comfortable. Lighting is good especially in the bathroom. Shower is spacious. Coffee machine in the room is convenient. Staff are very kind and attentive both at the desk and at the restaurant/bar. Breakfast buffet offers warm and cold/continental elements, to suit different tastes Location is practical, right by the C-train station. Access through roads (for driving or taxi) is easy. Menu is affordable and offers enough variety to please all.

One of the nicer hotels we've stayed in. We found it to be simple and clean.

We didn't have more time. Would have liked to use more of the facility than we did.

Everything was bright, clean and comfortable. Being a smaller facility, we didn't have to walk a mile to get from our vehicle to our room.

Great staff and complete facility

Booking.com continues to screw up reservations, only gives booking.com reference which hotels cannot cross reference. Will not use them again, and I am "genius" member. All hotels on my trip couldn't find my booking.com reference.

Great staff and complete facility

Very attractive and modern place. With more lighting and a hot tub, it would be fabulouso!

Our room was close to the buffet and hall door and it was too noisy. Also, the whole place is too dark. Some more lighting would make it more cheery, and less bar-like.

The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast buffet is really generous and delicious. Allowed pets and no extra charge.

Clean and modern but a small space

The room was small and narrow. There is no door between the beds and the bathroom. It was inconvenient in the way that the light for the bathroom/sink area is seen from the beds. I was unable to get ready in the morning without turning the light on that was seen from the beds where my family was trying to sleep in.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was a nice bonus. The pool table was a fun bonus.

Highly recommended!

I had a great stay! Staff was friendly and helpful and my room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was simple but great quality. I enjoyed the pool area, that was definitely a bonus. Overall just great value!

Nice room, poor facilities and terrible breakfast.

The breakfast was terrible. Everything kept running out, including plates, eggs, ketchup and coffee. The pool was tiny and there was no hot tub.

The bed was comfy and the lounge was good.

Rude Staff

Rude staff!! At check in they would not speak to or answer my husband because the reservation was in my name...this upset him a lot (they seem to enjoy this). When departing the building an hour later two front desk workers were complaining openly and loudly about customers. Later that evening i tried to get some ice at the bar (because there is no ice machine on the first or second floor and was told to get it from the bar). The bartender told me i had to wait...so i did . After 15 minutes i asked at the front desk if there was somewhere else i could get ice. The front desk staff stuck his had in my face and told me to wait my turn. There was one gentlemen checking in who was just as taken back at this behavior as i. Never have i seen such rude staff. Also bathroom had hair on the walls and ceiling.

Well priced and well located. BYO reading light and sink stopper.

More variety in breakfast would be good. Alternate bacon with sausages. I heard others wishing for bacon. It's almost impossible to find enough light to read the newspaper in the breakfast area. Very dimly lit. Ditto for reading lights by bed - not possible to have enough light to read without bothering partner. Also - the bathroom sinks look great but you can't plug them! Not possible to run a sink of hot water to shave (I know...old school) Also, contact lenses can go down the drain. I actually checked the Kohler website because I didn't believe they made sinks that can't be plugged. They do.

Attractive modern rooms. Well located to use C Train to get downtown without car. They have the Globe and Mail newspaper. Mini fridge in room.

Nice hotel and nice staff.

My view wasn't the best. But there is little that can be done about that. Almost not worth mentioning

Nice hotel and nice staff. Loved the look of the room.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Bright and very friendly staff

We had picked this hotel for the pool as we had our grandchildren with us. But on the day we stayed it was closed. Shame

Bright and very friendly staff

Excellent value for money.

The bed was a bit soft and the staff didn't notice that one of the tables in the dining room had lost its legs.

The reception staff were amazing. Very friendly and helpful when we checked in and even put our ice packs in the kitchen freezer for our journey home. The location was wonderful; close to the C-train and to major roads.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Great location near the University!

Parking above ground was unattainable at times as was full!!

Property was conveniently located near the University of Calgary for which needed ease of access to for tournaments. Included Hot breakfast was beneficial to have!

Great business traveler hotel at Calgary

Nothing much. Overall, I had a great experience.

I liked the decor, service, and breakfast of the hotel. Especially the pool is not childish pool you see at near by hotels. Even you do not use it, it seems to be a nice place to chill out. Near by train station is a plus. Next station toward the downtown, you will also find a small shopping mall, which you can get the things you need during your stay. Also, it is just a short ride to downtown as well. Hot breakfast is also nice. However, I wish they have more veggies in the menu.

Comfy bed

I wasn't a fan of the bathroom setup and the door didn't slide properly.

Located next to the c-train, and very central to everything in Calgary. Bed was very comfy.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

No suprises @ ALOFT consistently good

Same breakfast items every day. . After the 3rd day was boring. Could rotate breakfast menu give some variety.

Excellent shower. . Exceptional pool area. . Overall great accommodation. . Would definitely return ;-)

Great hotel handy to Jubilee and McMahon Stadium

Parking was a problem. When we first checked in around 5 p.m., there were lots of free spaces. When we left to attend a performance at Southern Jubilee Auditorium and got back to the hotel after 9 p.m., there were no parking spaces left. Finally squeezed into a makeshift spot while three other cars were circling around aimlessly.

Loved absolutely everything about the hotel. The front desk staff were very pleasant and welcoming. The room wasn't exceptionally large but really well designed with everything you'd need. Beds were super comfortable. The bar/restaurant staff were pleasant and efficient. The food was gourmet without the high price!

The staff was friendly from check in to check out.

Walls seemed thin, at night I could easily hear what was going on next door (that's all I'll say...)

The staff was friendly from check in to check out. Room was clean and comfortable. Free breakfast was good. Location was close to everything I needed.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Stay here for a great night's sleep!

They have brought in an underground parking fee since we last stayed here. This was a surprise! Staff was helpful and provided it as complimentary for our stay.

Very clean! Easy to find location with Ctrain right across the road. Beds were superbly comfortable. No tub but shower was spacious and tiled. Breakfast was excellent with both hot and cold choices.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Funky and easy to get to
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

There was a glitch with check in. I booked thru booking.com and it wasn't in the hotel records. Staff diligently followed up and fixed the problem. Not a pedestrian friendly location but convenient for the purpose of this trip.

Funky decor, comfy bed, great room service, protein choices for breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Exceptional hotel, staff, service, and location.

Friendly, welcoming, professional staff. Modern trendy hotel and design. Excellent location. LRT is a short walk away. Great buffet breakfast. Awesome value. Highly recommended. Would book here again without hesitation.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Another great stay at the Aloft University.

Heating unit was very noisy, but at -29 Celsius I'd be a little noisy also. Chair height toilets would be much appreciated although I understand the difference in price for the unit could be a make or break of a budget when building.

Bed was extremely comfortable with a warm comforter and wonderful pillows. The shower could not be better unless it was in my own home. I see a very good copy going into our bathroom reno in the spring. The breakfast offering is truly wonderful. Not a 2 day old bagel or powdered eggs in sight. Pancakes, bacon, sausage and real eggs. Great coffee, fresh juice, cereal, fruit, milk etc. All good. We will be back and our friends who stayed after our recommendation agree. We all agree the Aloft has been a wonderful surprise.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Great Hotel

Pool was a bit chilly due to air vents. But it was still helpful to have it and be able to do aquatic exercises (which I have to do because of joint replacements)

Staff was delightful; rooms good and beds very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Room with a view? )0:

The decor was so so. Tiny room,couldn't open blinds as there was literally a car window 8 inches away. (Ground floor). Very noisy and as soon as they started preparing breakfast, about 5:30 am, there was a nauseating, acrid,oily smell coming through the vent and into the room.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Very good breakfast;

Very good breakfast; food in the bar was very good. Friendly staff. Very good value and excellent location very near the transit. Will definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Great facility; great location and we would stay here next time for sure.

Great bed and pillows. Hot breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Great place to stay. Staff were very helpful

Training room got somewhat hot.

Liked being able to go to my training and accommodations in same hotel. Food was excellent!

The bed was comfortable.

Our room was on the end and very small.

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom/shower was modern and worked well.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Staff cleaniness and breakfast

Staff cleaniness and breakfast

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Excellent and comfortable

Friendly helpful attentive staff

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Good place to stay in

Breakfast is very poor no variety you can choose from

Location very good near to university & in the sam time near to downtown with CT train

Like it

We like it hardly nose

The breakfast

The breakfast

A good hotel to stay in with cordial staff

Liked everything

Good!

The room and the hotel in general is dark, I like places with lights!

The bed and facilities are really great

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Very comfortable beds, nice restaurant, good breakfast

Very comfortable beds, nice restaurant, good breakfast

Great location. Terrific breakfast

Location, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast wonderful

staff

food

staff

Facilities like swimming pool

Don't understand why the staff has no smile on the face

Facilities like swimming pool

No microwave , windows don’t open, no hot tub

No microwave , windows don’t open, no hot tub

• King Room - Disability Access

The whole building shaking as planes fly overhead.
    • King Room - Disability Access

The whole building shaking as planes fly overhead. At least I think it was the planes. Why does the whole building shake? That can't be right.

Fun trip

Parking lot- was tiny. We all drove trucks and it made it difficult to park in that particular lot

The atmosphere

Great breakfast.

Great breakfast. Helpful staff.

Friendly staff, great location, comfy bed I’ll book again

Bathroom counter was dirty. $24 for ppv movies is nuts, I would have watched two if they were $12 max...

Liked the decor, bed was comfy.

Great would definitely book again

Funky rooms with nice details and the bed was very soft.

Best hotel at amazing rates!

Clean, comfortable and amazing amenities! Spin room, gym, splash pool, lounge... excellent hot breakfast! Amazing value!!

It's my 4th time staying with Aloft Calgary Uni.
    • Queen Room

It's my 4th time staying with Aloft Calgary Uni. Nice location , very nice rooms and nice staff. Quite at night.

very good for what we wanted
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The heating was noisy

The service was good and the meal was good

Clean, comfortable, and convenient

Comfortable rooms and fantastic staff! Very friendly.

Nice location, nice staff

Stayed here for the third time. Lovely as always

great

nice hotel clean, modern, trendy - decent restaurant, price was right and close to meetings

The hotel is very clean with great staff.

It couldn't have been better.

The hotel is very clean with great staff. The complementary breakfast had a big selection and was very tasty.

Great!!

Parking was awkward.

Full breakfast was very appreciated! Night staff - awesome. Great ambassador for the hotel.

Staff were great.

Pool was inadequate

Staff were great. Breakfast was good.

Awesome

Couldn't connect to WiFi

The style, cleanliness, bed comfortable

Lovely staff, nice location.

The airco is loud.

Easy to get to, lovely staff, nice breakfast.