Reviews of The Champlain Waterfront Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection 3 stars

2 Front Street North, L3V 4R5 Orillia, Canada

#11 of 17 hotels in Orillia

Overall a comfortable stay. Shuttle to the casino was prompt and not a long trip.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

“Water front” is misleading. The hotel is a block away from the water. We arrived to breakfast at 9:45 and everything was a bit picked over, not much hot food left. Shuttle to casino wasn’t free. Cost $11 for a yellow school bus.

The decor was modern and comfortable.

Great location great staff very comfortable bed clean good...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was a major disturbance during the night but the staff took care of it and us

Great location great staff very comfortable bed clean good breakfast

The soaps in the washroom smelled really good.

No elevator. The room was a lot smaller than in the photos. The space between the bed and the TV was 1.5 feet. It was so close that I walked right into the TV and hit my shoulder. A large, heavyset person would have to shuffle sideways to get to the other amenities in the room.

The soaps in the washroom smelled really good. The room was so clean and nicely decorated. I wasn't worried about the cleanliness of the hotel. It was spotless through and through. The room was so clean.

Weekend at the Champlain
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Not enough parking. First room we received was in the basement had to change rooms. Some staff members need retraining. No elevator.

It was comftable and quite

Good for the money, I would stay again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Very small parking lot. I missed having an elevator. The breakfast was just OK at best.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Great location and good value. Close walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants.

The free breakfast.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Insufficient parking at the hotel. I had to park at a nearby shopping mall. I found the front desk staff less than friendly and not to helpful in explaining alternate safe parking spots.

The free breakfast.

It was very clean, staff were helpful and happy.

Stairs, parking and little to no gluten free options for breakfast. Also no bottle opener in the room and had to share 1 bottle opener with other guest. The shuttle bus to casino was awful :(

It was very clean, staff were helpful and happy. The location was great with restaurants and shopping close by. All in all, we would return.

Pleasant staff, clean and well decorated, excellent...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room was in front of door from stairway so we heard the door opening and closing. Other than that everything was awesome.

Pleasant staff, clean and well decorated, excellent breakfast, shuttle service to Casino.

Clean and the breakfast was pretty good
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The parking was a little sketchy and it was a little noisy, we were stuck in the basement just inside the doors and they were very noisy

Clean and the breakfast was pretty good

Almost there
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room lacked a comfortable chair for relaxing in. Only an office chair for the desk area was provided. The entrance to the hotel is at the back. We understand why, but the whole area is a bit grungy and off putting. It is also complicated to get to the lobby as there are so many doors and stairs to use to get to there and to your room. There is no elevator and lots of stairs. Although there seems to have been a lot of work put into the hotel it feels like it isn't quite there yet and needs a little more attention to detail (cleanliness, front desk) to really arrive.

The room was large with a nice bathroom, shower and a comfortable bed. Nice TV and good Wifi and the downtown location near the waterfront is great!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

It was a pretty good stay, id come back again!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The pictures of the room are very decieving. I thought it was much much bigger than it was but it worked for us.

The complimentary breakfast was wonderful and the staff was really great, they know how to serve their customers.

Very modern, clean and cozy.

The ac was located right next to the bed, which made it a little uncomfortable during the night. Not a big deal... but I woke up with a stiff back and shoulders.

Very modern, clean and cozy.

Old hotel with nice renovations.

All the stairs (no elevator). Should add cereal to the breakfast. Not enough parking spots. Has to wait past check in time for room to be ready. Room very small. When getting out of bed, could hardly get around air conditioning unit. Should have a comfy chair to sit on to watch tv.

The triple blinds were great to keep the light out. Nice and quiet. The bed was comfortable. Huge TV. Location great. Walk to the lakefront park.

Great place to stay for the night and get some work done!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Peanut butter should be available for those who ask for it. But can understand if that is still an allergy issue.

Staff very accommodating and friendly, even helped bring my bag to my room. The breakfast wrap was a nice change to the regular eggs. They don’t serve peanut butter at breakfast, but that is understandable considering the allergies these days! Very tasty coffee!

Excellent ! We will definitely be back for a longer stay sometime.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We loved our rooms but they were on the ground floor.....I'm sure it was because we only booked our rooms, the prior day. Hopefully our next visit will be planned in advance, and we will get a room with a better view of the waterfront. 😊

Loved the waterfront location with access to several amenities, patio restaurants, and LCBO, all within walking distance.

No elevator in the building.

No elevator in the building. I did not see anything in the article that there was no elevator. I use a cane and stairs are unsafe for me. If I had of known would have requested main floor.

A OK

We didn't really like breakfast, was missing some healthy options, more fruits, but I'm guessing a lot of people would like it either way.

Good place for a short stay and handy for Niagara Falls. Very friendly and helpful staff, big room, great shower, clean. Very basic, no bar or other facilities. Bit old-ish but no real complaints

Beautiful location in the heart of Orillia! Excellent service and property...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The Assistant Manager offered excellent service regarding an incident in the basement and quickly remedy for us to enjoy a great 3 days at your property. Thanks again!

Comfortable, clean hotel near the waterfront.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast - dislike the way so much disposable items used which are then thrown away. Why can't they use proper crockery and cutlery?

Location near the harbour was good

All great except no blow dryer or shower hose.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I’m happy I brought a blow dryer because there was none in the room. Not sure if they supply if you ask though. No shower hose. I take a shower with a hose.

Love the renovated room, complimentary coffee, and water in the room. Very nice.

I would happily recommend this hotel.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It is too bad they do not have an elevator for persons with physical problems. I presently suffer with hip problems and it was difficult to go down two flights of stairs however the staff was quick to assist with luggage. They also compensated me for the inconvenience and advised me to request a main floor room in the future.

The hotel is beautify decorated and gives you the confidence when you enter the lobby that your room will be the same. The staff are very welcoming and registration is very quick and efficient.

Beautiful new room, really comfortable beds, decent price...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Beautiful new room, really comfortable beds, decent price for what you get, I’d recommend it to anyone!!! Friendly helpful staff, restaurants very close, I will stay here every time I’m in orillia from now on!

Location by the water was great for walking.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location by the water was great for walking. Shuttle to casino was great added touch! Staff was friendly, room was nice a bit small but we were on the lower level.

Fair
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We had an issue when we went to check in. We weren’t registered. Staff had to try and remedy the situation And luckily they had a room available. However, the room was very small. Not what I had booked. So we were disappointed in that. We had tickets to a concert and it would have been very upsetting if we had to miss the concert because we didn’t have a place to stay!

The room was very nice.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very nice. Very up to date and clean. The location was perfect for out purposes. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall just a great experience!

I would return to this hotel on another visit to Orillia

An elevator would be handy for those going to the second floor.........

An excellent king size bed........ ultra modern renovations ....... good hot breakfast .... close to the water

Great B&B with super friendly staff - you are guaranteed a great stay !
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was great - no complaints !

The staff were really friendly and very helpful - the room was lovely and very ,very clean. Very comfortable bed. A lovely little hotel. A great experience.

Beautiful room with excellent staff
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was amazing. Booking.com had lost our reservation and staff bent over backwards to help us out. Not only were we put in a staff favourite room, she took 20 dollars off the booking.com price which then covered our shuttle fee to Rama. We will definitely be back!

Fine

See above.

Bed comfortable., however it was hard to regulate heat/ac...either too hot or too cold. Bathroom..no counter space but cute. Very small room for the money. Breakfast- average...mostly cold...one highlight..just brought out hot sauages. No decaf coffee. Went for a walk after dinner down at the water. Young man started to talk to me, kept insisting I come over and talk to him...a little frightening...I thought he was high on drugs...left quickly. Overall staff was very courteous and helpful.

Overall, very enjoyable experience, would stay there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

as a short person i found the bed a bit too high and also found the pillows too soft.

Very friendly staff, clean room, good breakfast, stated continental but includes hot eggs, sausage, hashbrowns.

Other then the bed it was great!!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately the bed was very uncomfortable for myself and my mother. The sheets and comforter were great and fluffy and soft and kept us warm but myself...I couldn't sleep from the pain in my back, I can usually sleep on just about anything but this make of bed. My mom also mentioned that she was sore in the back as well when she woke up which was too bad because I had a late night and was looking forward to having a good sleep in the comfortable looking bed...

The Room was immaculate!! Very clean and quiet. The staff was very accommodating!

But yes I would stay again
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The location is out of the way for the casino and the breakfast wasn’t very good.

The bed was amazing, the rooms were updated and very clean. Staff was extremely helpful.

I was charged on my visa but paid by debit unfortunately I...

I was charged on my visa but paid by debit unfortunately I still haven't received my refund back to my visa which is an inconvenience. I enjoyed my stay but not use to not having an alarm clock in the room.

We will definitely book again next March but, ask for a room on the upper floors.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

we were placed in a basement room which I believe was referred to as the first floor. Found it very claustrophobic and dark. Room was very small.

Very friendly staff--especially the front desk and housekeeper. Room was clean and updated. Breakfast was excellent.

No complaints

No complaints

The staff was very friendly - the hotel was close to everything we were able to walk to the shops and the waterfront enjoyed the winter carnival - the shuttle to the concert on the Friday night was a bonus especially since we do not know the area.

Excellent hotel, great location & awesome staff ready to help.

The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. Breakfast was provided in the lobby with a nice variety of food & the coffee was excellent.

Overall excellent
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I wished there was a mat at the front door of the room we took our snowy. Boots off and it left wet foot prints everywhere and our socks got wet

Staff were very helpful...super comply bed and pillows slept like a baby

I would not visit this hotel again and would not suggest it to my friends.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Did not like the breakfast at all ... it was really bad choice. Did not like our room - it was practically in the basement, so that the small window was right at the ground level. It was quite cold outside and it was cold in the room, cold reflected from the window and the bed was under the window... Nobody told us this in advance, either nobody asked if it is OK for us to have a room in the basement. Corridor was not clean beacuse of snow. And finally, a cleaning lady came to clean at 9 pm !!, banged with the doors in the corridor and started the vacuum cleaner... Had to call to the reception to stop this. I have travelled 20+ years and I have never seen anything like that before.

Location was really good, in the centre of the town and many eating places around - sushi place next to the hotel, also a bar right around the corner. Parking was easy, right in the courtyard. Loved the house, nice building.

Room was clean but too small if you had to stay a few days.

Was a huge snowfall but they never cleared the sidewalks or parking lot for the time we were there.

Room was clean but too small if you had to stay a few days.

The room was gorgeous.

The breakfast was lacking and we ended up going elsewhere to eat. Also when the staff suggested taking the shuttle they failed to mention that it was a school bus.

The room was gorgeous. It was a little small but very usable. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and informative. We were in Orillia for a show at Casino Rama and I would stay here again if I was to come for another show.

Enjoyable! Would stay there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Could've have used a microwave, clock radio and bigger garbage cans in the room.

Room and hotel was newly renovated. Looked great! Breakfast was excellent. Everything was close like LCBO, pub and tourist area. Staff very friendly.

Overall excellent

Be much better if there was an elevator

Staff and rooms were great. I was not happy to find a pair of socks left by previous guest. Makes you wonder how well rooms are really getting cleaned.

Very good

Pictures in the internet were deceiving Expected a suite got a regular room But the staff offered a voucher for another stay. Very pleased afterwards Parking was confusing as it's shared with restaurant and was packed

Bed and soap

Great service! Loved the new rooms!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was a bit confusing at first until we asked. Will be a lot better once the elevator is in!

The room was great - extra large bed and lots of room to move around in the room. Everything was new and that's always nice.

Nice updated bathroom
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I felt like I was in the basement of a house and without lights on it was pretty dark in the room . The flooring is not carpeted which I prefer in a hotel . The door was difficult to lock. I see that the renovations are going on and they did their best to accommodate the guests .

Nice updated bathroom

Great downtown/near waterfront location.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Housekeeping needs to work to improve consistency.

Newly renovated room - great bed & linens. Included continental breakfast & few hot items a good value. Very attentive & helpful front desk staff.

Awesome stay at the newly renovated Champlain.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was ok, as I know they are waiting for the kitchen to be finished to serve a proper hot breakfast. Kudos to the staff who tried their best.

Clean and renovated. Close to everything.the lake. Shops. Restaurants. Comfortable bed. Good size room. Very quiet. Staff was super nice. We will definitely stay again. Nothing really bad to say about this hotel.

It was very enjoyable!

No front door check-in parking and no elevator up to the room, however those are not possible because of the building design and location.

The room was very modern and very nice! We really enjoyed it. It was very similar to an upscale New York hotel room! The staff were very friendly and accommodating!

Very pleasant
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing to dislike

Everything about the Champlain Hotel was perfect from the renovations to the room cleanliness to the staff to the price couldn't ask for any better I would recommend it to anyone

Newly renovated, beautiful rooms, great staff!
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Newly renovated rooms, I suggest the superior king room, large tv, very very clean, washroom is really nice with walk in shower. Great helpful staff, wouldn't think twice about staying here again!

Rooms were new and modern
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

hall ways are loud, sound carries, didn't sleep well as a result of hallway noises. Carpet hallways would juristically reduce this noise.

Rooms were new and modern

In hind sight, based on price paid, would've driven home after concert at casino. (2 hrs)
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was very limited..discount given off next stay instead of discount on THIS stay. Walls were thin and other patrons were extremely noisy till 1:30 am.

Bed was comfortable and was king size instead of queen (booked). Washroom was upgraded and clean.

Room was quiet and clean. Bed was very comfortable.

Room was quite small. No 'full breakfast' included.

Advertised as including full breakfast. Not true. Offerings for breakfast was much less than normal continental breakfast. 'Includes full breakfast' should definitely come off their website!

A reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Orilla near shopping, boat cruises and the boardwalk.

There is no elevator There was only 1 chair in the room

The hotel is steps from the waterfront boardwalk. The duvet was excellent. The walk in shower was an advantage for we 80 year old people. The staff were friendly and attentive to our needs.

The weather was great.

The name is misleading, it is not on the waterfront. The first room we were offered had a window that was a few feet from a brick wall. The second room overlooked the a/c on the roof. The breakfast buffet was pathetic. The renovation is underway, although the rooms were OK the hallways were substandard.

Good location for access to tourist sites, restaurants etc.

Enjoyed the town of orillia

No elevator. Breakfast was all packaged food. Not a good variety of tv Channels. Room was smaller than expected. A little pricy for what the hotel offeres

Nice room, comfortable bed, large tv. Great location

From Booking.

From Booking.com I had the confirmation for reserving 3 rooms but at the hotel, they only had it for 2 rooms. ( not sure why Booking Com has not reserved 3 rooms). The lady at the reception was very helpful and managed to find one extra room

The hotel has the potential of becoming a very nice place to stay! We'll be back!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Finding the place and parking coming in by car.

The newly renovated room was beautifully done, the bed very comfy, and the bathroom classy. Although still renovating and apologetic regarding the breakfast buffet being sober, the staff went all out yet to provide a good and enjoyable breakfast!

Champlain hotel 👍🏻
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The parking was a little odd but no real issue and the rooms did not have a phone.

I really liked the layout of the rooms, the rooms were modern and clean and an overall good experience!

Overall - lovely stay
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Bed very comfy Parking a bit of an issue - no space - advised I could park in Loading Zone of pub, got a nasty reception from them when we went out on Sunday morning Couldn't get connected to Wifi A suggestion - would be really nice to have another chair in the room

Staff , in particular Sandra were very helpful.

Rooms were small but comfortable - could hear people after leaving bars and the crossing sound for the blind. Fan was either on or off - could not have on low to drown out background noise

Staff , in particular Sandra were very helpful. Sandra found my First Choice number and made sure I signed up for the bonus night. Sandra was very attentive at breakfast - making fresh coffee and egg omelettes

Lack of storage for clothes
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Renos being done. Loud constant banging back door. Not much sleep to be had. No dressers. No drawers. No hangers. Living out of a suitcase putting on wrinkled cloths sucks.

New beds etc

A great trip in a lovely hotel with great staff.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast could have been better. The hot choices were a bit like airline food.

The hotel was near to the lake which had a great walkway and was also central for restaurants and shopping. The staff were also very helpful and friendly.

Fantastic

Thought it was perfect

The room was really nice, fantastic bathroom, staff very helpfull and friendly. Will certainly stay here again and recommend to famil and friends!

See above
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

No elevator working and had to carrying luggage in the stairs. I've machine broken. When I called the front desk told me the night before there was a shuttle to Hotel and it wasn't available. We had to take taxi for $50. Usually the hotel shuttle is free. Frustrating! Breakfast was awful not worth $30 extra.

Clean and close to town

A Building site with small rooms and dire breakfast -very disappointing

The hotel was undergoing a major refurb and it was a nightmare as it looked nothing like the photos on your web site. very disappointing and we we charged the top price with no discount or mention of this before we arrived, no elevators, no ice machine, cardboard boxes everywhere on the corridors, builders walking in and out all of the time, dirty carpets owing to workmen , noise during the daytime from bulldozers outside and workmen inside fitting out rooms, poor breakfast in fact the worst i have ever seen, just a few buns and coffee that was it!, so we had to go out and pay for ours- again very disappointing. The rooms are tiny and look nothing like on the photos, nowhere to hang clothes, no draws - really badly designed room space . If it wasnt for the kind receptionist who managed to get us a refund on one of the rooms for one night i would feel even more aggrieved but still felt like we had been ripped off. would never return- and dont be fooled by the photo shopped pictures - it is nothing like that in real life.

Bettie who was on reception was very sympathetic to the fact the hotel was undergoing a full refurbishment and tried to get a partial refund for our stay as it was like staying in a building site

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Quaint. Good location. Fionns next door is a plus.

Ice machine on ground floor, especially since it’s all stairs based.

Bed actually was comfy! All the recent upgrades were very evident. The suite bathroom and shower were very nice. Little details like the USB chargers were a nice touch.

Beautiful newly renovated rooms

It was only a soft opening so top floor was the only available place to rent. No major complaint except the advertised breakfast wasn't available and elevator didn't work. I know though, once they are fully up and running it will be an amazing little get away.

Brand new room, really nicely renovated. Beds were comfy and the staff were all pleasant. It was also perfectly located by the water front and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Ok but not great

Not waterfront fronts on old parking lots ,street noises for some rooms,breakfast ordinary.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Stairs only no elevator

Stairs only no elevator

Loud music.

Loud music. Bar next door. room was very clean and modern.but small

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

no elevator

no elevator stairs to get into hotel and had to carry luggage to 3rd floor

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Comfortable and convince

Parking

could be cleaner but nice breakfast
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

room was too small the corridors were dirty

breakfast was nice

perfect
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

so pretty / the bathroom / the room it was like a expensive suite / the breakfast was amazing lots to choose from