Reviews of South Thompson Inn & Conference Centre 4 stars

3438 Shuswap Road, V2H 1T2 Kamloops, Canada

#6 of 48 hotels in Kamloops

• Room Selected at Check-In

Overall a most enjoyable stopover . Couple of minor things ref Room 34 - Shared balcony with adjoining wasn’t ideal. Lack of mirror in room with exception of bathroom. Room could have been brighter ( personal preference)

Friendly and exceptionally helpful staff. Peaceful location by riverside and next to golf course. Quality of food.

Cons: The $9.95 minimalist breakfast-bar should have been included with the room (we didn't bother with it). Desk staff enthusiastically recommended riding our motorcycles east to Chase on the country road, but after a couple Kms the pavement turned into washboard gravel and we had to turn back.

Pros: The setting and surrounding area was beautiful; the river was fun to watch from inside our room (#16) or from the covered porch right off our room. The beds clean/comfortable. Shower was hot with good pressure. Most staff were friendly. Night time was quiet, even though trains ran nearby. We enjoyed the horses and llamas.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Did not like there smoking policy. You were not allowed to smoke on the balconies and had to be 3 m minimum from the building.

Location to the golf course was excellent.

• Standard Room

I wish we had more time to walk around the property or go for a bike ride. Next time we stay here we will!

Beautiful tranquil location, view of the equines was a bonus! Loved that there was a dog to greet us when we checked in. (Very well behaved). Room was exceptionally clean. Service was outstanding both from front desk staff and restaurant. Did not eat dinner here but we did have the continental breakfast which was fresh and filling.

• Standard Room

Quiet location, off the beaten track. Unusual 'Kentucky Ranch Style' architecture. Nice view from the room across the grounds to the nearby hills

• Standard Room

You have great beds- and it's so clean and welcoming. Great staff. LOVE that. Love the horses- and lamas...but the air exchange system is a drag. And it's loud when you have a wedding with everybody traipsing to bed late. But other than that- love staying with you..

• Standard Room

i can't think of anything i didn't like

this hotel is a little out the way but worth the drive , my room was clean and quiet , staff was very friendly and helpful , plus having a nice restaurant and lounge in the hotel was very convenient .

• Standard Room

The breakfast was disgusting! Ordered an egg sandwich and the middle of the sandwich the cheese & egg were frozen together. When asking for fresh tomato to add with the breakfast we were told they don't have any. Judging from the frozen sandwich I'm guessing they don't keep fresh food on hand.

The rooms were very quaint and cute. Felt like you were at a country B & B.

• Standard Room

The continental breakfast was delicious but felt some food was wasted by having it served to us, rather than serving ourselves. However, I understand it may have been done this way since we were there at a slower time? Really though, its not a complaint but the only thing I could come up with :)

The atmosphere was cozy. It felt like more than just a place to sleep :)

• Room Selected at Check-In

We had dinner there. The restaurant looks fantastic, and the food of course is delicious. The staff members are really top there. She reminded us of the weather and road conditions.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The only tiny thing is the heater is not adjustable, so just a little bit hot in the room. (anyone correct me if it was me that didn't know how to adjust it.)

This place should be a very large and beautiful manor, although it was heavily covered by snow during our stay. The host took initiatives to call me to ask our arrival time to make sure they were there at the reception.

The HVAC was difficult to use and because of that, the room got a little stuffy. Also thought the meals were a little pricey for what you get

Good staff and facilities. We got everything we hoped to have and were very cozy

• Standard Room

There signature STIGR burger @ $17.00 needs a lot of work boring no sauce and tasteless also charging $2.00 for ranch dressing is chintzy I rated the cost of the room as good at $99.00 as it is off season it gets very pricey other times

I have stayed at this location a number of times and will stay again great staff very clean great location

No coffee machine in rooms

Was on crutches and the girl at the desk offered a wheelcar for me to use. And asked how my ankle was feeling when I checked out. Beautiful location. Wedding I went to was beautiful. Bathrooms was huge. Would defintly come back again. Staff were nice. Allowed me to check in early so I could rest my injured ankle.

• Standard Room

Nothing significant to dislike.

The location was very nice next to the river and far enough away from the freeway not to disturb. Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, a comfortable place for a stop off to Vancouver on our road trip

• Standard Room

The property was on 55 acres, which we hadn't expected. We chose this hotel because the price was at a price point we wanted and the rooms looked inviting, but we fell in love when we got there. The staff was very friendly and personable, and the room felt homey. I loved the smell of the room and the overall feel of the property. If we head out that way again, we will definitely stay here again, and probably stay for more than one night.

• Standard Room

Pool is very small and as it was really hot outside it's temperature wasn't really refreshing. There are strict rules saying no private alcohol (pretty good marketing isn't it? Especially as you can get a fill as you pay for) or smoking which is only allowed in small designated smoking zones (must be something about the air pollution, hm? Next your Volkswagen Diesel won't be allowed on their ground). These smoking zones are - as you can imagine - not in a mint condition (why are you smoking little jerk?). In the end it's a nice location but very regulated which feeds the little rebel in me.

• Standard Room

Only one complaint. We sat away from the main stream part of the restaurant so our small dog could join us.After we were given menus (which were personalized) we were forgotten without even a drink for 25 minutes. My husband went to find someone and after another 5-7 minutes a different waiter showed up. We expressed our frustration to "Allwin" and he couldn't do enough to make things right. Not sure where things went wrong as Cody had even called over to the restaurant to let them know we were there which they did acknowledge however it went astray from there. Allwin saved the day by being most apologetic and courteous. Normally I would have been fuming by now. We had baked brie, Caesar salad, pork chops and steak. All was excellent. A nice glass of wine from the Okanagan and a Caesar rounded out our dinner. No room for dessert. Mistakes happen but it's the way they ate handled that makes the difference. Good work Allwin!

We absolutely loved our stay here. Cody at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. He got us a table on the patio away from the restaurant so our dog could join us for dinner too. We did a lovely walk around the grounds and took pics of all the scenery and animals. Dinner was fabulous too. We had a swim and a hot tub after we ate. The rooms are quaint with comfy beds and pillows and fluffy robes are provided. We opted for breakfast delivered to our room so we could sit on the lovely veranda and enjoy it outside of our room. Everything was top notch!

• Standard Room

We stayed on a Saturday night when they have weddings almost every week so there was some disturbance from noisy wedding guests coming to bed in the small hours.

Beautiful ranch hotel in stunning setting. Great staff and and good food. Jakusi bath in en-suite!

The welcome could have been better when we arrived. We were told that our room would not be ready until 4.00pm which is quite late but also I was made to initial next to items on the checking in form to say that I accepted an extra charge if we smoked in the room (we don't smoke) and if our pet made a mess (we didn't even have a pet with us). Also, I asked for a bit of salad with my pasta dish in the evening and was brought an enormous plate of Caesar salad for which I was charged $7 - the waitress said it was the smallest amount they could do!!

The location next to the river is beautiful and we loved watching the long Canadian Pacific freight trains trundle by on the other side of the river. The receptionist when we checked out was very helpful about our journey to Vancouver that day.

• Standard Room

Breakfast, which was an extra, was bland compared to the rest of the service and remote location did not provide for an easy alternative.

Everything. Location, pool facilities.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Standard Room

I have stayed here a few times and always come back when I can Only complaint this time was there was a wedding on and some of the members were very noisy in the hall ways late at night I think the staff gave to be more wary of this when they hold these type of functions But I would still come back

The room was very run down and in need of a major reno. The carpets are old, the furniture looks very dated and there was a very distinct musty/mouldy smell in the hallway.

The property and location are exceptional and the staff are wonderful.

• Standard Room

We liked everything about this charming hotel.

This is the best place we have stayed at on our trip so far. The location was a little tricky to find so I would recommend you use Sat Nav. The building is an attractive ranch style, really comfortable but made excellent by the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for the front desk staff and in the restaurant. The food was good and beds very comfortable and everything was very clean.

• Standard Room

We arrived late and the staff was out walking the grounds and we did not have a way to contact them.

The rooms are very nice and comfy with a great view and big tub. The coffee is very nice and the grounds are beautiful. Wonderful dinner menu.

• Standard Room

You have a long, winding walkway which is on an incline to the front entrance. Not fun if you have to use the luggage trolley.

Very well maintained, private and friendly.

• Room Selected at Check-In

I was not fond of the breakfast option. My oatmeal was served to me...Quaker oats....the little brown package in the bowl and a thermos of hot water. Yuck! Other food included a hard boiled egg, fruit, yogurt, juice, etc. I'm not a fan of continental breakfasts so they probably didn't have a chance with me. The croissants were good.

The staff was incredible! They were all extremely friendly and wanted to just make sure that our stay was super. The dinner in the dining room was delicious! I had the trout. We loved the hot tea selection.

• Standard Room

The supper was ordinary: it lacked seasoning. We read other reviews so skipped the breakfast.

Beautiful location although the address given did not lead us to the property. Wonderful beds

• Standard Room

Tea and coffee facilities in the room.

The location was beautiful, the rooms delightful. The swimming pool was lovely and warm. It was immaculately clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The views were stunning.

• Standard Room

Heard they rent bikes but we only stayed one night and did not have time.

It was nice view from the patio to South Thompson River. There were duck families in the river and we were enjoying watching them at the patio and the garden was gracious and well maintained.

• Room Selected at Check-In

I cannot think of anything that I didn't like!!!

A wonderful place to stay, The location, buildings, rooms and grounds are exceptional. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would love to return to the South Thompson Inn and Conference Center for a followup visit.

Limited space in the dining room. Breakfast was served in the dark "library" area next to the bar, whilst the bright spacious banquet room seems to be available only to organized tour groups. Surely this could be partitioned to offer the same facilities to all guests?

Quiet rural location overlooking the river. Comfortable room and bed. Continental breakfast offered a good selection and was reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

The website did no justice to the property.

The staff were super friendly.. it was just the perfect stop between jasper and whistler. I would recommend it highly. It's a little out of the way but that's the charm. It's a little old fashioned but that's what appealed to us. It was perfect .

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Room Selected at Check-In

Stayed here 10 years ago and thought the facility needed some updating then and the issues are still the same. The place is a bit tired and needs a facelift. If you want to eat at other restaurants you need to drive 20 minutes into town to do that.

Very nice setting for a wedding

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Standard Room

Drinks at the bar were quite expensive for the guests attending the wedding at the South Thompson Conference Centre.

The room was spacious, bed very comfortable, bathroom was roomy, and access to a shared balcony through patio doors in the room. Complimentary coffee and tea. The grounds are really nice with river flowing nearby. Great location for a wedding or family reunion.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The breakfast was terrible, literally a yoghurt, muffin and the egg was boiled but grey inside, absolute waste of money.

Very nice setting, lovely and peaceful and perfect stop off between Jasper and Vancouver.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Standard Room

Rooms are nothing special for the rate. Balconies are not private. Room is small. Should include breakfast of some type for the price paid.

Nice location overlooking the river. Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Standard Room

The unit was overpriced, I can stay at a 4 star for a better rate.

Over priced, hot tub appeared not to have been cleaned; the water appeared yellow, no bar fridge or coffee pot in the room. Overall, overpriced and will not recommend to others. Lucy

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Almost zero customer service. We were the only guests staying on the property for our first 2 days, and we were made to feel like we were an inconvenience to the staff. Very rude management. I've been in the hotel management business for over 20 years, and the lack of customer service was appalling.

The bed was amazing

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Room Selected at Check-In

The restaurant has limited hours but the staff will go above and beyond to make sure you are taken care off and are aware of restaurant hours. Because of the location. This is a great spot away from city and street noise.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Restaurant hours - would be nice to have it open for lunch.

The food was excellent, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Very relaxing atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Room

Staff is very friendly. The location is away from the highway and next to the river. Very peaceful and relaxing. They have 44 acres to wander around on.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Standard Room

A little hard to find and limited signage at the road.

Location fabulous, welcoming and friendly staff, would highly recommend. A real gem in a unique style. Will definitely return.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Standard Room

Food in the bar was poor with my wife's fish and chips particularly bad.

This was our second stay at the South Thompson, rooms are really nice and well furnished. Staff are very attentive.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The interior is very dated. The patios are all adjoined, so strangers can peek into your room if they want. Plus it was filthy on the patios, spiders, webs, caccons, all sorts of creepy crawlies. Furthermore, the actual location is quite far away from the city itself - did not know that when we booked. Had to drive 30 min one way back to town to find dinner as the on site restaurant doesn't have a kids menu!

It's a very pretty location.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

I booked for three but the room was not prepared to accommodate 3. As it was late, I offered to make up the sofa bed myself. Had to call to get the bedding. No fridge to store our picnic lunch.

Large room with a lovely view.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Standard Room

A little dated and 20 minutes from Kamloops town. Not sure why balconies are shared between 2 rooms. Didn't feel very private as needed to keep curtains closed. In room facilities very basic. Seemed poor excuse not to have tea/coffee facilities due to lack of options to provide fresh milk. All other hotels manage.

Nice quiet location. Grounds nice.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Standard Room

Location is out of the way. It's 15 minutes from Kamloops......kinda in the middle of nowhere.

Friendly staff. Clean rooms. Good facilities. Golf course right beside the hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Standard Room

The drive passed the cement works on approach to the hotel - don't be put off.

The pool was a delight after a day travelling. The view of the river from our balcony and picking fresh peaches off the tree just under our balcony.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Standard Room

Not being held up in an accident so we could have enjoyed a good dinner and had a relaxing evening instead of only 5 hours before we had to check out!

Bed comfy, good shower. Just like I remember 20 years agao

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Standard Room

Maybe a few updates in decore, more in the bathrooms than anywhere else...but other than that there was nothing to dislike.

Beautiful grounds and landscaping on a lazy river! Old world charming decore. If you want luxury and all the bells and whistles, this is not it. If you want a very relaxing stay, with comfortable amenities, good restaurant, pool, golf nearby, rambling fields, horses and a view you won't forget, then stay right here. We will be back!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Room

Only continental style breakfast available which must be preordered by 8pm the previous day. Would be better if they had a buffet style breakfast even if it was still continental style.

Comfortable and clean room. Nice location gorgeous fruit trees in the grounds as you walk along the river bank.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Room

Should have screens on the sliding doors to the decks. Would have helped to keep bugs out and allow air flow in the room. Room was very humid almost felt damp at times.

Staff was friendly and courteous and the area was amazing.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

Roadway and hotel entrance should be improved as they are looking tired.

It is about 20 km from downtown Kamloops but in it's favour is it's lovely pastoral setting on the South Thompson River. Good restaurant and pleasant bright rooms.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

No complaints!

The property is in a great location, close enough to town and still peaceful and out in the country. Close to many great golf courses! Food at the property was very good.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Standard Room

No elevator meant carrying heavy bags up the steps. I was going to ask for help (& tip!) but the lone desk person was occupied.

The location was very convenient off the highway but away from noise. The rooms were very clean & quiet, which was perfect as we arrived in the late evening after traveling since 3am. The room had a balcony facing the river which was beautiful!

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The only thing we didn't like was having to leave.

Self Thompson was recommended to us by our son – and we weren't disappointed. Stayed two nights – one on the mountainside and one on the Riverside, and really enjoyed our stay. Staff were friendly, food very good and location excellent.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Standard Room

Absolutely nothing. We stayed here on the way ro Banff and back again. I'd like to stay a week (but it's a bit far from the UK).

It's almost impossible to highlight one thing, but beautiful surroundings first, then welcoming staff, then good price.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Standard Room

The 'river view room' overlooks river but also a train line and busy highway so we could not open the windows as it was too loud. The room decor was really outdated with rattan furniture which would fit better in a garden than a bedroom. The restaurant on site closes at 9pm so if you arrive late there will be no chance of food and you need to drive all the way back to Kamloops. No fridge in the room even though there was plenty of space. Also, creepy stuffed bear was a feature of the room.

Away from Kamloops and in a nice setting. Coffee delivered to the room in the morning.

• Standard Room

Inconvenience of going to lobby for coffee, 6am or late night. But coffee vet good!

• Standard Room

Good restaurant only open for dinner though, lovely staff. Balcony off room, pastoral views.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Nothing we could think of!

We really enjoyed our stay so comfortable and relaxing. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Everything especially the piano

• Standard Room

Everything especially the piano.

• Standard Room

Not close to city center but it was expected

It was close to mountains and river. I loved it

• Standard Room

Julie greeted us with a friendly smile . Julie made us feel welcomed .

• Standard Room

The staff made us feel special . Location was perfect. Breakfast was scrumptious . Overall our stay was very relaxing.

Quiet location.

• Standard Room

There was nothing I didn't like

Everything about are stay was excellent , nice lounge area and staff very friendly

• Standard Room

The room and view from my room were very picturesque. I also love the comfortable room and curtesy bath robe.

• Room Selected at Check-In

very clean, great country side view. very quiet and beautiful in the morning.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The price is very high after taxes became double or more

Nice room view.room size was good enough

• Standard Room

Room was a bit basic but comfortable.

Restaurant and bar was within the property.

• Standard Room

Very nice room with lovely balcon. Great room with very comfortable beds