Reviews of Hotel Ste-Catherine 2 stars

#112 of 134 hotels in Montréal

6.2

6.1

Heavy smocking air

We had a horrible experience of heavy smocked facility , we used the fan and AC whole night which are didn't help much. When we asked the owner : you claim it as a non smock place , they suggested not to come next time if we are so sensitive . Old and ugly look of facility as soon you enter the main door . very disappointed

the bedding was fresh and clean

3.5
    Horrible
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location was good other than that a horifying experience To save money every minute of the AC would go on and off so the noise would never let me sleep I had a horrible night no sleeping there a cobwebs at the window it was not clean the room was extremely small lesson learned never ever go for cheaper rooms

Never stay in this awful apartment hotel

The staff were so impolite,unhelpful,breakfast wasn’t good.no cereals,no juice,even no cutleries to use.room wasn’t clean.I never choose this hotel anymore and not recommend to anyone.it was awful hotel apartment where I have ever been .

Just the location was close to subway

Excellent location, friendly staff, good wifi connection,...

Room rather small

Excellent location, friendly staff, good wifi connection, daily cleaning and changing towels, breakfast included in the price, after checkout could leave luggage at reception for several hours.

Great location but needs upgrades

The hotel is really very basic which is generally no problem. But the carpets should be replaced, showers need upgrade, they look awful. Bathroom space is a joke. With a little investment they could make this hotel a real great one.

The location is fantastic and personnel very friendly and helpful.

Not too bad for the fees. The unfriendly evening shift staff was a turnoff for me.
    • Queen Room

The reception staff (guy) that worked late aftenoon/ evening was awful, rude unwelcoming and VERY unfriendly!! He does not deserve to work at an hospitality establishment. People will refuse to patronize because of him. I was always scared of meeting him Cigarette smoke smell at the corridor always.

The owner and family nice and helpful. Helped with information about moving around the town. But the staff on late afternoon very rude and unfriendly throughout my stay.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Convenient and comfortable
    • Queen Room

The breakfast was a bit disappointing although I think the owner is trying to improve things. While the room was clean I would have appreciated the tub and walls being cleaned every day.

The staff were helpful and I liked the location. There were some very nice restaurants nearby that I discovered and enjoyed some excellent meals! The street was busy in the evenings thanks to people being out and just having fun.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Most of the l
    • Queen Room

Room was small and had bleach smell or disinfectant. The neighbourhood was not that safe . First floor smelled like weed. As soon as you walked up. We were in 3rd floor which was better

They had few muffins , very clean the staff cared about it a lot.

Wonderful! Great! Fantastic! Merci beaucoup!!
    • Queen Room

Don't really have any dislikes. I'm a non-fussy traveler. :-)

Wrote another review previously, but wonderful staff, facilities non-fussy, well maintained and clean. Provided little perks important to me: mini-fridge so that I could keep some snacks on hand in my room, and television to keep me entertained during downtime. This property was just what I need for a get-away vacation on a budget as a student. Owner was on the property during the day and was very helpful, as was the entire staff. Location was GREAT!!

Great price; close to every where I needed and wanted to go. Friendly staff. Great for budget travel
    • Queen Room

Not really anything. Perhaps a larger place for the breakfast, and keep the microwave available 24/7 (It may have been and I just didn't know). Otherwise, maybe just some facility updates as the property is able to make them such as carpeting and furniture. But nothing dramatic.

The location. Simple accommodations and not fussy; exactly what I needed for a getaway on a budget. Staff very helpful and friendly. I really appreciated the mini refrigerator in the room, and a television for downtime. That was a big plus!!

have stayed here before and would again good value for the money and location ..bring soap

a few small bars of soap..not enough to take a shower the toilet took a long type to flush and almost overflowed

friendly staff/clean comfortable bed/location

Didn´t have such a cool time there....
    • Queen Room

Air Condition: Did not function or almost did not work. The room was more hot than outside (where is was already 30 degrees). It was very hot. Couldn't find sleep for two nights. It is a no go. Breakfast: I recommend the hotel not to offer breakfast. It made my rating down. What´s a breakfast, if you get old cheap and chewy croissants and the "ends" of cheap toast sandwiches. Staff: On the one hand nice. But in the morning on the breakfast, I don´t know, they gave me the feeling to watch exactly what I want to eat and how much I eat, as always one staff person was attending me while eating. Maybe I misinterpreted it, but for me it felt like that. I prefered the next days to eat outside, because i felt unconfortable. As I was in a different hotel of the same style before, I didn´t get such a feeling there.

Perfect location, if you into nightlife

Awesome location & okayish cleanliness

The room was not really clean but not so dirty that I was completely disgusted; there were some stains in the bed (linen, blanket, one pillow) which looked like old blood stains that did not came out with washing (& others that I tried not to think & speculate too much about), then as the linen is pretty thin I could see that the mattress is able to tell the story of the room's former guests; also not all the towels were stainless though most of the stains did not look new; besides the shower floor looked reaaally dirty & disgusting - I recommend wearing flip flops; on the shower walls I discovered a few pieces of a stranger’s hair (too high & wrong color to be mine) Room door let every noise in & probably that’s the reason why whenever someone was in the hallway it appeared as if they wanted to knock on my door, not possible to open a window

Great location (in the gay village) close to several supermarkets & banks & public transport, fridge in the room, room temperature was easily adjustable, room service made bed & emptied the trash daily, Wi-Fi worked perfectly fine during my whole stay, felt safe, polite staff, non-adjustable shower head was a tiny bit annoying though the water pressure & temperature were perfectly fine, communication in English & French possible, pleasant check-in & -out times NEUTRAL for me: steep stairs and no elevator, breakfast rather small (toast, croissants, 2 types of muffins, butter, jam, coffee, orange juice - only thing I wished for in addition was peanut butter), furniture/room/hotel already pretty worn down (but I was aware of that as they pictures show it as well & don’t really mind – what I care about is cleanliness), room was small but everything needed was there, old tv (which I do not need no matter if old or new), water could be heard when someone showered/turned on the water (though I’m not sensible to noise), only one roof light (& no other windows) which was a little weird, sometimes it felt like the whole house was shaking (bit like an earthquake), if you are sensible to light (which I am not) it might be annoying that you can't do anything about light coming in the roof light CONCLUSION: it was certainly not clean even though I tried not to look to hard (& not think about where those stains came from), thus I probably would only stay here again if there was no other mediocre room (at an at least a little reasonable price) available. That being said, I experienced worse rooms in the past.

Staff were very nice and accommodating.

There was a stench coming out of our bathroom. But at least it was clean and had enough towels and toiletries as advertised.

Staff were very nice and accommodating.

Pleasant clean European style hotel.
    • Queen Room

Noisy at front of hotel because it is on street with lots of bars and clubs, better if you can get room at back.

Clean room in good location. Small room, very European style type room, friendly staff. Also has private parking available

• Queen Room

Internal setting and Bad and Tv 25-30 old bathroom is very small need to upgrade Same price I get 2,3 star hotel last time

Acceptable for the price

Weird smell in main corridor - room ok Decor in rooms very drab and lighting was terrible Occasionally heard a weird beeping noise from the entry alarm that kept faulting. This didn't happen at night however.

You can totally control the heat in the room Not too noisy even at the front One block from subway Parking round the back was fine

Small clean and comfortable rooms.
    • Queen Room

Rooms are tiny. Parking area is very small. Some areas had a strong smell, maybe incense?

Rooms are warm and clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast spread was croissants, muffins, toast and coffee

Staff was unprofessional as well the management they...

Staff was unprofessional as well the management they didn't honest the deal or the package that booking.com offer I know it's nothing to do with u guys but they were unprofessional about what they offer and rude as well will never try them anymore

It is a good central place but could use some sprucing up to make it great!
    • Queen Room

The hotel is located in the gay village and across from bars and clubs. Hence, there are some noise issues, especially on the weekends. Light sleepers should ask for rooms in the back. The rooms are not very big but adequate for 1-2 people. The bathroom was newly renovated and spacious. I would mount the TV onto the wall to free up some counter space. Also, get rid of the dresser and put a small table with two chairs for the light meals or snacks. Get rid of the drapes or curtains and install vertical blinds to control the light and privacy. The wifi signal is not very strong; each floor / room should have a router. The hallways and stairs could use a bit of sprucing up

The hotel is located inside the Gay Village. It's a pedestrian only street. It takes a bit to figure out how to enter the parking lot in the back. It's best to pay for parking ($10/day) since the entire city is under some sort of preferred permit parking. Not to mention all the detours due to major road construction everywhere in Canada! The entire property is monitored by security cameras, including the parking lot. The area is fairly central and one can walk to the old town and Chinatown area in 15-20 minutes. The subway station is about 2-3 blocks away.

absolute blast, we will be back for sure.

there was not anything i didn't like, do not have a bad thing to say. the place was clean, cozy and comfortable.

the location was fantastic, our room looked out over st-catherine street, it was great to see the night life out our window. as a young couple we enjoyed being close to all the main bars and restaurants. we will definitely be back.

First night was traumatic
    • Queen Room

The night shift attendant . I don't know whether he was on drugs but he was rude . Told the day time management about my ordeal and that I will never go back there. But the manager convinced me that he will be reprimanded. First night I slept in a small single clean room with a very comfortable bed but the second night the double room I had booked was musty and not clean

Nice breakfast though only 4 persons table is available

Stayed purely out of necesity. Not pleased.
    • Queen Room

Extremely sexist receptnist wouldn't talk to my girlfriend and straight up ignored her when she asked things. Ended up giving us the wrong room (gave us a way smaller room than we payed for) and we didn't get any kind if compensation.

This is more a complaint about booking.com but I booked this accommodation with my American Express card and upon arrival found out that the hotel did not take that card. It could have been disastrous if I hadn't had enough in my bank account. I had put the money for the accommodation on my credit card and ended up emptying by bank account to pay with debit booking.com should have let me know this card would not be accepted by the hotel or not accepted this card upon booking.

Comfy bed excellent location

dirty carpet

It was so dirty the carpet was very old and dirty,there were insects on the room ,the paint was so ugly ,the price so high comparing to the the room,

the worker were so nice

Great location in the heart of Montreal's Gay Village.
    • Queen Room

The location is fantastic is you are centering your visit on activities in and around the Village.

Great location in the heart of Montreal's Gay Village. Staff remembers us from our many previous stays here, so we always feel welcomed.

Cheap, noisy hotel

The place was cheap, old, run-down and NOISY!! Booked a two bed room and when checked in there was one bed - a double - in the room . Was unable to sleep which affected my performance the next day. Checked out early and was promised a refund - HAVE NOT RECEIVED REFUND!!!

Cheap and cheap.

If you are just looking for an affordable place to stay this is ideal. It's an older hotel with lots of stairs (you will get a good butt workout). the hotel is close to the subway, and around lots of gay-friendly establishments. The rooms are fairly clean, the cleaning lady is sweet, but they are also small and out of date- but they have A/C.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

not worth the @
    • Queen Room

The bed was incredibly uncomfortable. It had a permanent large body impression right in the middle of the bed, making it very uncomfortable and slanted to sleep. We woke up to dirty dripping water from the light fixture in our bathroom. Apparently the room above us had an overflowing toilet they didn't tell anyone. Went and informed the office and they came and cleaned it up, but never apologized and disconnected the light. We had to get ready in the dark.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

The 50$ that cost me

Right at the beginning the front desk guy was so rude and look angry. Not a way to welcome a guest who come for the first time. The place is all in carpet its smell old, the bed wasn't comfortable at all and the wall was made of paper. Can barely talk if you don't want to interrupt people. Will never go back there again

The 50$ that cost me

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Ok but not more.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I never thought a mattress could be made to be that hard !! If it wasn't for the clean sheats and the old brown carpet, I would have debated wether to sleep on the floor or in the bed. Super small room. Very very basic breakfast (bagel + toast) in a very small kitchen. Not in the nicest part of town althought there probably is worse. Glad I had ear-plugs since there is a bar right in front and the street-facing rooms are on the second floor. Adequat for my needs (merely to sleep midnight - 0800) but didn't feel like spending any more time there.

At least the bed and bathroom appeared clean...

I liked the value of the room which was clean on my arrival

I was very disappointed that in the 8 days I was there and out of my room most of the day that maid service was not given to my room.My room was cleaned only 3 times in the 8 days.

I liked the value of the room which was clean on my arrival

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Montreal People, Places and History
    • Queen Room

Can be difficult getting a cab at times. Banks don't exchange American money at ATM. Not having more time to spend with the hot friendly honey I met on my last today's there...Hot

Location was right at the tail end of the Village and next to a French Pastry Cafe and across the street from Campus. I could not get enough the history and charming warm friendly people. It kind of remains one of San Francisco in a way.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Very basic and depressing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel needs significant refurbishment. It feelt depressing. Breakfast was served in a small dark room with disposable cutlery and plates, and comprised of multipacks of bread, croissants and muffins...

Location was convenient. Staff was friendly enough

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Small and rickety

Extremely small room, very small bed, no window, small bathroom, it was a rickety room. Wiring wasn't neatly hidden. Hotel is desperate in need of renovations

Location is everything
    • Queen Room

Location is everything.... Close to bars, metro, restaurants on foot.

Great turn down service

The Wi-Fi didnt work

Great turn down service

All in all it was ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was a bit hard to find

It was the cheapest hotel I could find in s ver short period of time

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Friendly staff.
    • Queen Room

Friendly staff. Safe area of city. Close to everything. Worry free stay.

Stay away.
    • Queen Room

The whole building looks like a cave and has a terrible smell. The cheapest breakfast you can imagine. Waterish coffee and muffin from Costco.

Not clean

Not clean

In need of TLC

I didnt get the room i booked but they still charged me...

I didnt get the room i booked but they still charged me based on the policy, very bad hotel smells bad

Great customer service and value for money.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great customer service and value for money.

Location and Price.
    • Queen Room

It was a bit rusty. Not very welcoming at first.

Location and Price.

great

everything was great

did not eat

Location is everything

A great place at a great value

• Queen Room

The cleanliness of the room was awful

Great location, good service.

The smell in the bathroom was disgusting. Like a really really cheap detergent or some problem with canalization.

Great location, good service.

Location was perfect

Location was perfect

I enjoyed!

Breakfast could be better

Nice place

Staff and location are excellent.

Staff and location are excellent. We stay here often. In the heart of Montreal’s Gay Village.

Location was excllent

Location was excllent

Floor mats inside the showers would be nice..

Location.... The hotel is conveniently located to night life and metro.

If you like friendly people and really clean sheets, this is the place to stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No pretense here. It is what it is and they do it so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor

In very sketchy area

Convenient to my needs. Clean and fair value for downtown Montreal
    • Queen Room

Television was old and didn't work very well. However, that is not a big concern for me

Quiet and clean.

Love this place
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location is everything. It is centrally located to the metro, bars, clubs and Old Montreal..

Very friendly

Very friendly

The speed of the wifi was slow and there was no breakfast

The speed of the wifi was slow and there was no breakfast

Excellent location!

Nothing really. It was a great stay!

Excellent location! Comfort bed, clean, great air condition, even has a fridge and hair dryer!

It was a good experience for us.If you were picky then this isn't the place for you.

The rooms were old but fine

Location was great.

Comfortable, clean hotel in Montreal's gay village
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very quiet. My wife felt very safe walking on the street outside, which is a pedestrian mall in the summer.

An exceptional stay in Montréal

Entrance, stairs, ...

A lot of pro's and contra's

well located and the place and for the price is very well maintain and the fact that room are small,

maybe provide bottle of water in the room

staff very helpful for any request, place to go, place to eat and more

My stay was great and I enjoyed walking along the street in the evening.

The lights in the washroom produced one disturbing noise when turned on.

The location and the streets

Fair price for room and ammenities

Hotel hadca bed but no breakfast morning after.

Room had a good air conditioning and clean bed.

Bed, location, price

Bed, location, price

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Everything was great
    • Queen Room

The hair products was two in one, shampoo and conditioner. Doesn't work well.

Everything was great

Affordable place to stay. Close to restos and grocery store.
    • Queen Room

Didn't know that hotel room was so small.

Price of hotel was great. Room was clean. Staff Peter was very friendly and helpful.

Very dirty and it smelled so bad

Very dirty and it smelled so bad

cheap but clean

it was very old. you can smell weed everywhere.bathroom was cold

good location friendly staff clean and cheap